Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,314 members, 7,808,059 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:17 AM

Some Historical Terms In Yoruba. - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Some Historical Terms In Yoruba. (2542 Views)

Historical Facts About Ilorin And Kwara Yoruba / Historical Pix; Picture Of Christmas Celebration In Badagry, 1923 / Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Some Historical Terms In Yoruba. by Ptolomeus(m): 10:28pm On Mar 16, 2012
I would like to ask for help to friends.
In the study of the historical traditions of the Yoruba, arise some terms are confusing me. I would ask your help to know the following effects:

The Yoruba word "hehe" (Gege) translated as "foreigner", what people meant before the colonialism?
That word was derogatory connotations, or was simply a form of reference?

What is the difference between the terms "Nago" and "Anago"?

From now I deeply appreciate the collaboration.
Re: Some Historical Terms In Yoruba. by Africaman: 5:19pm On Jul 18, 2012
Ptolomeus: I would like to ask for help to friends.
In the study of the historical traditions of the Yoruba, arise some terms are confusing me. I would ask your help to know the following effects:

The Yoruba word "hehe" (Gege) translated as "foreigner", what people meant before the colonialism?
That word was derogatory connotations, or was simply a form of reference?

What is the difference between the terms "Nago" and "Anago"?

From now I deeply appreciate the collaboration.

I don't think I know 'hehe'. If you meant 'Gege', in modern Yoruba it is a slang term for 'guy'. I don't know of it's precolonial meaning.

'Nago' is just the short form of 'Anago', so they are the same thing. It's like somenody named 'Carlos' and you call them 'Carl' for short. You have that type of shortening in English as well.
Re: Some Historical Terms In Yoruba. by Ptolomeus(m): 10:40pm On Jul 18, 2012
Africaman:

I don't think I know 'hehe'. If you meant 'Gege', in modern Yoruba it is a slang term for 'guy'. I don't know of it's precolonial meaning.

'Nago' is just the short form of 'Anago', so they are the same thing. It's like somenody named 'Carlos' and you call them 'Carl' for short. You have that type of shortening in English as well.

Dear friend Africaman:
Thank you very much for your clear answer!.
You are always very friendly.
I am very grateful to you for your good will.
You may count on my unconditional friendship, always.
A afetuoso greeting!
Re: Some Historical Terms In Yoruba. by Africaman: 12:40am On Oct 25, 2013
Ptolomeus:

Dear friend Africaman:
Thank you very much for your clear answer!.
You are always very friendly.
I am very grateful to you for your good will.
You may count on my unconditional friendship, always.
A afetuoso greeting!
It was my pleasure Ptolomeus, sorry I'm just responding now.
Re: Some Historical Terms In Yoruba. by olumidaie(m): 8:20am On Oct 25, 2013
Anago('Nago) is a Yoruba sub-ethmic group. They inhabit the eastern coast of Benin Republic. The capital is Ajasse(or Ajasse-Ile): it is popularly called PORT-NOVO. It is east of Benin Rep's economic capital, Cotonou. It serves as the political and administrative capital of the country.

North of Anago, are the Yoruba sub-groups of Ohori and Ketu. West is the Fon(Dahomey) ethnic group and Popo-Yoriba. To it's eastern boarder with Nigeria are the other Yoruba sub-group of Eko( Awori and Egun) and Egbado( Egba-West).

It's capital is also peopled by the Ewe and Aja ethnic groups. They refer to Port-Novo as Hogbonou. Some historic facts suggest that the Ewe or Aja might have been the first settler in that area; before some Yoruba people came to domicile there.

Anago is also a name the Yoruba people were called by the white men. The Anago were among the first Yoruba groups to have contact with the white men. By the time more Yorubas were sold in slavery, they werer collectively, yet ignorantly called Anago because of their shared anscentry, language, dessing and culture with Anago.

Ok, everybody, come post more info on the Nagot clan.
smileysmileysmileysmileysmileysmileysmileysmileysmileysmileysmiley
Re: Some Historical Terms In Yoruba. by Ryabcool(m): 3:21am On Oct 28, 2013
This has been plaguing me since the beginning of this year and has caused me to come seek enlightenment on this forum with the hopes knowledgeable persons in yoruba traditions and cultural values will be able to shed extensive light and thereby broaden my horizon.

Early this year, a close relative came to visit we had a few important discussions. Just as she was leaving, she turned and said "all these things are happening for a reason. The signs are too obvious. Shey o mo pe akanda omo ni e?"... I being poor in yoruba couldn't grasp the meaning but pretended to understand so as not to be seen as dull in front of my other family members. After she had left, I asked an uncle what “Akanda Omo” meant and all he just said was that it means a special person. I didn't find this answer satisfying but I kept shut and didn't prod further.

This leads me to ask the following questions;
1. What does Akanda mean?

2. What are the factors that can make someone be called an Akanda?

3.What relevance does it have upon the life of the person being called Akanda?

4. Is it a good or bad thing?

5. Any stories that could shed more light on it and enable me further grasp?

I sincerely hope my questions would be extensively answered in the shortest possible time. Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks a lot..
Re: Some Historical Terms In Yoruba. by isalegan2: 12:26pm On Nov 03, 2013
Good question.
Re: Some Historical Terms In Yoruba. by Ryabcool(m): 4:48pm On Nov 03, 2013
isale_gan2: Good question.
I would be overjoyed if you can shed enormous light on my question with a full explanation
Re: Some Historical Terms In Yoruba. by Ryabcool(m): 8:50am On Jan 31, 2016
Still no answer. Na wah o
Re: Some Historical Terms In Yoruba. by Africaman: 7:14pm On Jan 31, 2016
Ryabcool:
This has been plaguing me since the beginning of this year and has caused me to come seek enlightenment on this forum with the hopes knowledgeable persons in yoruba traditions and cultural values will be able to shed extensive light and thereby broaden my horizon.

Early this year, a close relative came to visit we had a few important discussions. Just as she was leaving, she turned and said "all these things are happening for a reason. The signs are too obvious. Shey o mo pe akanda omo ni e?"... I being poor in yoruba couldn't grasp the meaning but pretended to understand so as not to be seen as dull in front of my other family members. After she had left, I asked an uncle what “Akanda Omo” meant and all he just said was that it means a special person. I didn't find this answer satisfying but I kept shut and didn't prod further.

This leads me to ask the following questions;
1. What does Akanda mean?

2. What are the factors that can make someone be called an Akanda?

3.What relevance does it have upon the life of the person being called Akanda?

4. Is it a good or bad thing?

5. Any stories that could shed more light on it and enable me further grasp?

I sincerely hope my questions would be extensively answered in the shortest possible time. Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks a lot..
Hello, I believe 'Akanda' means to be specifically created for a purpose/mission.

Let me see if I can break it down:

A --> That which is or who is
Kan --> Constructed
Da --> Created

Putting it together as 'Akanda', 'That which is constructed/created'. To make sense of it, there must be a purpose for the Construction/creation. So you will have to find out your God-given purpose/mission in life. Then you must fulfill it.

That is the best I can do right now.

ciao

1 Like

Re: Some Historical Terms In Yoruba. by Ryabcool(m): 8:02pm On Jan 31, 2016
Africaman:
Hello, I believe 'Akanda' means to be specifically created for a purpose/mission.

Let me see if I can break it down:

A --> That which is or who is
Kan --> Constructed
Da --> Created

Putting it together as 'Akanda', 'That which is constructed/created'. To make sense of it, there must be a purpose for the Construction/creation. So you will have to find out your God-given purpose/mission in life. Then you must fulfill it.

That is the best I can do right now.

ciao

wow! Thanks a ton!
Re: Some Historical Terms In Yoruba. by tpiar: 4:22pm On Feb 01, 2016
When used in reference to a person or people, a kan means one.

Ie a reference to someone who is a "single" in some way via birth position or circumstance.

I'm sure whoever was asking that question knows this, as per juju things.

(1) (Reply)

These Clever Drawings Will Make You Question Everything Wrong With The World / The African Woman Culture Of Immitation / Ope O! Ijoba Ipinle Osun Ti F'owo Si Sisan Owo Awon Osise

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.