Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,305 members, 7,808,033 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:44 AM

Second River Niger Bridge And A Sea Port At Onitsha: Shall We Celebrate? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Second River Niger Bridge And A Sea Port At Onitsha: Shall We Celebrate? (31014 Views)

Poll: Make your choice for Second River Niger Bridge?

Second River Niger Bridge Model 1: 24% (6 votes)
Second River Niger Bridge Model 2: 32% (8 votes)
Second River Niger Bridge Model 3: 12% (3 votes)
Second River Niger Bridge Model 4: 32% (8 votes)
This poll has ended

Cargo Hijack; One Of The Reasons Ships Dont Port At onne / Biafra Agitators Burn Two Trailers At Onitsha Head Bridge (Pics) / HELP !! Yoruba Plot To KILL Ibaka Deep Sea Port (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Second River Niger Bridge And A Sea Port At Onitsha: Shall We Celebrate? by aljharem(m): 1:39am On Mar 19, 2012
Bliss4Lyfe: Who said anything about tribal? We are talking equity and justice for all Nigerians, surely that is the way forward if any? As for meeting, did they send you because am far gone and u are in the distance in the dark. cheesy

LOL I can sense the joy in your comment as you parade the second Niger-bridge for us to see, I am happy as well. wink

This has never been about equality but about tribal reasons

Just send me your your yahoo mail so we can hook up. kiss kiss kiss kiss.
Re: Second River Niger Bridge And A Sea Port At Onitsha: Shall We Celebrate? by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 8:39am On Mar 19, 2012
^^^Stop derailing my thread and follow the tangent.Thanks! wink
Re: Second River Niger Bridge And A Sea Port At Onitsha: Shall We Celebrate? by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 4:37pm On Mar 19, 2012
The Sea Port in Onitsha is vital to the advancement of the commerce and trade sector in the regions(east/north) to alleviate pressure on already over crowded cities. It should serve Enugu, Ebonyi and various Northern states i.e benue and kogi.

The river port would aid transfer of cargoes from ships into barges for delivery through the inland waterways. This will take pressures off our roads and help them to last longer whilst enhancing maritime security in all ramifications..

The development of the international ship and port facility security code by the International Maritime Organisation was a quantum leap in the quest to galvanise national and international resolve to secure global shipping and maritime based economic activities.

Port Facility Security Assessments and Port Facility Security Plans were concluded and approved for over 53 port facilities and oil/gas terminals, as required by the ISPS Cod.

Re: Second River Niger Bridge And A Sea Port At Onitsha: Shall We Celebrate? by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 8:19am On Mar 20, 2012
Examples of River Port upstream.

Re: Second River Niger Bridge And A Sea Port At Onitsha: Shall We Celebrate? by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 5:03pm On Mar 20, 2012
Seattle port us & Felistowe port uk

Re: Second River Niger Bridge And A Sea Port At Onitsha: Shall We Celebrate? by Onlytruth(m): 11:37pm On Mar 20, 2012
Bliss keep up the good works on this thread!
It saddens me a lot that our politicians aren't saying much about this bridge (unless I don't know).
BTW I think that any modern bridge would do, though I would prefer something with a rail-line and pedestrian walk.
Re: Second River Niger Bridge And A Sea Port At Onitsha: Shall We Celebrate? by bakila: 12:38am On Mar 21, 2012
PROUD-IGBO:

^^^Hehehe grin. You must be in some kind of utopian parallel universe, and not Naija wink.

The only problem i see with your suggestion is that other ethnic groups/geo-political zones (or whatever term you want to use) no go gree, and they will want their own [b]EQUAL SHARE [/b]of the booty or they scatter the whole thing wink. What? You mean giving attention just to the 'okoros' shocked? Abi you don start dey craze shocked?

You no well if you proudly smoke Igbo you de craze na you wahala.
Re: Second River Niger Bridge And A Sea Port At Onitsha: Shall We Celebrate? by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 4:54pm On Mar 21, 2012
Onlytruth(m):
Bliss keep up the good works on this thread!
It saddens me a lot that our politicians aren't saying much about this bridge (unless I don't know).
BTW I think that any modern bridge would do, though I would prefer something with a rail-line and pedestrian walk

Eze igbo nairaland dalu for your much needed Royal endorsement. I deem your contributions highly relevant. The purpose of this thread is for all concerned to let the authorities know exactly wat we the electorate expect with regards to the second niger bridge and seaport. We have to constantly draw attention to this project if ever, it is expected to be done.
Re: Second River Niger Bridge And A Sea Port At Onitsha: Shall We Celebrate? by PROUDIGBO(m): 8:32pm On Mar 21, 2012
Govt to shut down Enugu airport for repairs, upgrade

By Wole Shadare

THE Federal Government has concluded plans to shut down the Akanu Ibiam Airport, Enugu for total rehabilitation and to upgrade it to international standards.

It was learnt that already, a committee headed by the Managing Director of the Nigerian Airspace Management Agency (NAMA), Nnamdi Udoh, will meet tomorrow in Enugu to fashion out modalities on how to not only make the airport viable because of its strategic location to the people of South East, but to raise its status to international standard with all the facilities that are required for that purpose.

The Guardian learnt that the airport would be shut down immediately after Easter celebration so that total refurbishment of the runway, provision of modern control tower and other navigational aids that would flight operations seamless can begin.

A visit to the airport shows how fast facilities had generated less than two years after the Federal Government reportedly spent N1.3 billion to extend and repair the runway. Most of the runway markings have faded, a situation that confuses pilots on what the real centre line for aircraft landing is.

Also, there are large potholes on several parts of the runway. The Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria (FAAN), it was learnt, had mandated the contractor that handled the project to help refurbish it. Most of the holes had been patched up.

To make the airport functional both in the day and at night, the airfield lighting has been installed while Instrument Landing Systems (ILS) are expected to be installed by NAMA.

Udoh told The Guardian that arrangements were being made to give the airport the status it deserves, adding that the closure would be done after Easter period for comprehensive repairs.

The airport's runway, which was 2,400 meters long, was in 2010 extended by 600 metres to make it 3000 meters or three kilometers. The width was also extended from 45 metres to 60 metres.

When completed, it is expected that the runway will be wide enough to accommodate wide-body aircraft. It is also expected that with its new status as an international airport, it would in future be designated for international operations.

Assistant Secretary General of Airline Operators of Nigeria (AON), Mohammed Tukur, who lauded the idea, said Enugu is the fourth busiest airport in the country, and so deserves more attention than it is getting from the concerned agencies.

Tukur suggested that the international flights be designated to international airlines because the airport is situated in the business hub of the South-East zone.

http://nigeriaworld.com/cgi-bin/axs/ax.pl?http://odili.net/news/source/2012/mar/21/1.html

Decided to post this here instead of starting a new thread.

So once again after unravelling of the patch-patch/kobo-wise-naira-foolish work done last time to 'upgrade' the Airport, it's time to close it for yet more 'renovation' work undecided undecided shocked. What the fuc/k is stopping the Federal Gov't from budgeting serious money for this project to get it done properly once and for all, instead of all this faffing about ? And this is the 4th busiest Airport in Nigeria (likely to be 3rd busiest if all the South East States can come together to formulate a common economic/regional agenda that would see investments in an intergrated rail transport system linking Owerri with Aba, Onitsha, Awka, Abakaliki and Enugu).

Notice no mention was made of a new terminal building (and the old one can then be used for local flights only).

Also (if a [b]PROPER/FUNCTIONAL [/b]Airport is finally achieved) i think there's a potential 'goldmine' waiting to be tapped in the provision of a world-class 5-star Airport Hotel/Conference Centre nearby; maybe at Emene (if the area is spruced up a bit) or where the present Hotel Presidential now occupies at Independence Layout.

I swear, if most other of my kinsfolk had the thirst and hunger for rapid development of the South East that i have (and peeps like Bliss4Lyfe, OnlyTruth, etc), Alaigbo would be Eldorado by now. What we need is a 21st century/digital-age leader (that everyone respects) to articulate and push an agenda for said growth.
Re: Second River Niger Bridge And A Sea Port At Onitsha: Shall We Celebrate? by Onlytruth(m): 4:50am On Mar 22, 2012
PROUD-IGBO:

By Wole Shadare

THE Federal Government has concluded plans to shut down the Akanu Ibiam Airport, Enugu for total rehabilitation and to upgrade it to international standards.

It was learnt that already, a committee headed by the Managing Director of the Nigerian Airspace Management Agency (NAMA), Nnamdi Udoh, will meet tomorrow in Enugu to fashion out modalities on how to not only make the airport viable because of its strategic location to the people of South East, but to raise its status to international standard with all the facilities that are required for that purpose.

The Guardian learnt that the airport would be shut down immediately after Easter celebration so that total refurbishment of the runway, provision of modern control tower and other navigational aids that would flight operations seamless can begin.

A visit to the airport shows how fast facilities had generated less than two years after the Federal Government reportedly spent N1.3 billion to extend and repair the runway. Most of the runway markings have faded, a situation that confuses pilots on what the real centre line for aircraft landing is.

Also, there are large potholes on several parts of the runway. The Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria (FAAN), it was learnt, had mandated the contractor that handled the project to help refurbish it. Most of the holes had been patched up.

To make the airport functional both in the day and at night, the airfield lighting has been installed while Instrument Landing Systems (ILS) are expected to be installed by NAMA.

Udoh told The Guardian that arrangements were being made to give the airport the status it deserves, adding that the closure would be done after Easter period for comprehensive repairs.

The airport's runway, which was 2,400 meters long, was in 2010 extended by 600 metres to make it 3000 meters or three kilometers. The width was also extended from 45 metres to 60 metres.

When completed, it is expected that the runway will be wide enough to accommodate wide-body aircraft. It is also expected that with its new status as an international airport, it would in future be designated for international operations.

Assistant Secretary General of Airline Operators of Nigeria (AON), Mohammed Tukur, who lauded the idea, said Enugu is the fourth busiest airport in the country, and so deserves more attention than it is getting from the concerned agencies.

Tukur suggested that the international flights be designated to international airlines because the airport is situated in the business hub of the South-East zone.

http://nigeriaworld.com/cgi-bin/axs/ax.pl?http://odili.net/news/source/2012/mar/21/1.html

Decided to post this here instead of starting a new thread.

So once again after unravelling of the patch-patch/kobo-wise-naira-foolish work done last time to 'upgrade' the Airport, it's time to close it for yet more 'renovation' work undecided undecided shocked. What the fuc/k is stopping the Federal Gov't from budgeting serious money for this project to get it done properly once and for all, instead of all this faffing about ? A[b]nd this is the 4th busiest Airport in Nigeria (likely to be 3rd busiest if all the South East States can come together to formulate a common economic/regional agenda that would see investments in an intergrated rail transport system linking Owerri with Aba, Onitsha, Awka, Abakaliki and Enugu).

Notice no mention was made of a new terminal building (and the old one can then be used for local flights only).[/b]

Also (if a [b]PROPER/FUNCTIONAL [/b]Airport is finally achieved) i think there's a potential 'goldmine' waiting to be tapped in the provision of a world-class 5-star Airport Hotel/Conference Centre nearby; maybe at Emene (if the area is spruced up a bit) or where the present Hotel Presidential now occupies at Independence Layout.

I swear, if most other of my kinsfolk had the thirst and hunger for rapid development of the South East that i have (and peeps like Bliss4Lyfe, OnlyTruth, etc), Alaigbo would be Eldorado by now. What we need is a 21st century/digital-age leader (that everyone respects) to articulate and push an agenda for said growth.

That airport and the bridge will be the focus of my campaign online from now going forward.
They hold the key to the economic revolution in Eastern Nigeria.
Re: Second River Niger Bridge And A Sea Port At Onitsha: Shall We Celebrate? by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 4:48pm On Mar 22, 2012

By Wole Shadare

[b]Decided to post this here instead of starting a new thread.

So once again after unravelling of the patch-patch/kobo-wise-naira-foolish work done last time to 'upgrade' the Airport, it's time to close it for yet more 'renovation' work . What the fuc/k is stopping the Federal Gov't from budgeting serious money for this project to get it done properly once and for all, instead of all this faffing about ? And this is the 4th busiest Airport in Nigeria (likely to be 3rd busiest if all the South East States can come together to formulate a common economic/regional agenda that would see investments in an intergrated rail transport system linking Owerri with Aba, Onitsha, Awka, Abakaliki and Enugu).

Notice no mention was made of a new terminal building (and the old one can then be used for local flights only).

Also (if a PROPER/FUNCTIONAL Airport is finally achieved) i think there's a potential 'goldmine' waiting to be tapped in the provision of a world-class 5-star Airport Hotel/Conference Centre nearby; maybe at Emene (if the area is spruced up a bit) or where the present Hotel Presidential now occupies at Independence Layout.

I swear, if most other of my kinsfolk had the thirst and hunger for rapid development of the South East that i have (and peeps like Bliss4Lyfe, OnlyTruth, etc), Alaigbo would be Eldorado by now. What we need is a 21st century/digital-age leader (that everyone respects) to articulate and push an agenda for said growth.[/b]

@Proud-Igbo

I very much agree with your take on this issue of an international airport in the southeast. A world class international airport in Enugu and a seaport in onitsha opens the southeast to the world and accelerated modernisation. For one the migration of people out of the southeast would have been drastically reduced and many more investment and settlers would come from the diaspora. Consequently, the pace of urban development would be greatly accelerated.

I find it puzzling why the present leadership in the southeast cannot strategically erect key infrastructure to curb the net migration of Ndiigbo to other region. Southeast will need its population to develop the region and welcome other regions populace positive contribution. What we have right now is a situation that other regions are benefiting from the contribution of Ndiigbo in the sustainable development of their region.

China would not be great today without its population and that is the key. Southeast leadership should draw up a ground breaking design for the Enugu international airport. The present building is an eyesore not fit for a local airport in the 21st century. Let the Federal government build the multi-terminal international airport and southeast states should build a new local terminal in Enugu. Too much jew talk without action.

Re: Second River Niger Bridge And A Sea Port At Onitsha: Shall We Celebrate? by Onlytruth(m): 5:01pm On Mar 22, 2012
The Enugu international airport is part of why I wish there is a governor in Enugu state who is more gregarious, and with a HUGE vision and dream. As has been demonstrated over and over, the governor of the state is really the leader of such project on the ground, no thanks to Nigeria's brand of stateism. If Gov Chime of Enugu state shows a big interest in that airport, he would rally other players to it. Unfortunately that is the truth. All we need to do is to keep harping on that airport because it holds the key to our future in Nigeria.
Re: Second River Niger Bridge And A Sea Port At Onitsha: Shall We Celebrate? by jidestar: 10:19pm On Mar 22, 2012
[/quote][code][/code] [quote] Bliss4Lyfe(f): 4 days & 23 hours
^^Trust is something that people earn overtime in character. Chinaemeze of Igboland has earned the trust of Igbo people that matter and we have given him our full support and with GEJ we will remain in support. Do not derail my thread with ur chums and bigotry.

hahaha! funiest post of the day. Madam,if u wan continue to decieve yourself say Jonasatan will make heaven on earth do so at ur own peril.

@Onlytruth& PROUD-IGBO

We still they talk dedging una sister they talk seaport and bridge, instead of agbaya like una to correct am una come dey talk state of the art airport way never dey for Abuja, lAGOS OR Port Harcourt. Una see una live and why una can't produce president? na wa for olodo.
Re: Second River Niger Bridge And A Sea Port At Onitsha: Shall We Celebrate? by PROUDIGBO(m): 11:49pm On Mar 22, 2012
jidestar: [code][/code]

hahaha! funiest post of the day. Madam,if u wan continue to decieve yourself say Jonasatan will make heaven on earth do so at ur own peril.

@Onlytruth& PROUD-IGBO

We still they talk dedging una sister they talk seaport and bridge, instead of agbaya like una to correct am una come dey talk state of the art airport way never dey for Abuja, lAGOS OR Port Harcourt. Una see una live and why una can't produce president? na wa for olodo.

^^^The bitter fool quoted above shows Ndigbo exactly the kind of bad-belle we're up against in this 'one naijeriah' grin.

The single brain cell in his thick head has somehow managed to process that rubbing minds together on how to improve the economic fortunes of the South East, or making a case for more attention from the centre now equals to Alaigbo not being able to produce the next president shocked shocked. Go figure!!!

FOOL, you've made up your mind ab initio that the prospects of an Igbo President would scare the shi/t out of ya, so stop trying to search for reasons to try and justify your bigotry and pettiness. Hateful scum like YOU personify exactly the type of obstacles Ndigbo will need to render irrelevant and obscure if ever we are to produce a President in this country and nothing else, as the likes of Abacha and co have shown any fool can rule this country: you just have to be conniving, shifty and devious enough. smiley

Shikena shikena shikena oh!!!

1 Like

Re: Second River Niger Bridge And A Sea Port At Onitsha: Shall We Celebrate? by Nobody: 11:58pm On Mar 22, 2012
PROUD-IGBO:

^^^The bitter fool quoted above shows Ndigbo exactly the kind of bad-belle we're up against in this 'one naijeriah' grin.

The single brain cell in his thick head has somehow managed to process that rubbing minds together on how to improve the economic fortunes of the South East, or making a case for more attention from the centre now equals to Alaigbo not being able to produce the next president shocked shocked. Go figure!!!

FOOL, you've made up your mind ab initio that the prospects of an Igbo President would scare the shi/t out of ya, so stop trying to search for reasons to try and justify your bigotry and pettiness. Hateful scum like YOU personify exactly the type of obstacles Ndigbo will need to render irrelevant and obscure if ever we are to produce a President in this country and nothing else, as the likes of Abacha and co have shown any fool can rule this country: you just have to be conniving, shifty and devious enough. smiley

the truth and nothing but the truth. nigeria is a jungle and ndigbo should always thank God that we have the numbers to face any enemy in nigeria.
in 1967 we were only about 12 million. today we are at least 30 million.
we can get whatever we want if we focus on it
Re: Second River Niger Bridge And A Sea Port At Onitsha: Shall We Celebrate? by jidestar: 10:39pm On Mar 23, 2012
PROUD-IGBO:

^^^The bitter fool quoted above shows Ndigbo exactly the kind of bad-belle we're up against in this 'one naijeriah' .

The single brain cell in his thick head has somehow managed to process that rubbing minds together on how to improve the economic fortunes of the South East, or making a case for more attention from the centre now equals to Alaigbo not being able to produce the next president . Go figure!!!

FOOL, you've made up your mind ab initio that the prospects of an Igbo President would scare the shi/t out of ya, so stop trying to search for reasons to try and justify your bigotry and pettiness. Hateful scum like YOU personify exactly the type of obstacles Ndigbo will need to render irrelevant and obscure if ever we are to produce a President in this country and nothing else, as the likes of Abacha and co have shown any fool can rule this country: you just have to be conniving, shifty and devious enough.

Bad belle or not una Ndigo are not politically savy. 2015 is around the corner just watch how una go miss the boat. Stop day dreaming is all am saying because Jonasatan can't deliver heaven.[b][/b]
Re: Second River Niger Bridge And A Sea Port At Onitsha: Shall We Celebrate? by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 6:33pm On Mar 31, 2012
Enugu International Airport is paramount. I have every faith that an ultra modern state of the art structure of 21st century fitting will be erected at Enugu.cheesy cheesy It makes sense as Nigeria at this point should be moving forward in line with the international community and not backwards. Other airports in Port Harcourt, Lagos and Abuja also looks sub-standard and should be upgraded in future.

Re: Second River Niger Bridge And A Sea Port At Onitsha: Shall We Celebrate? by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 6:28am On Apr 01, 2012
Some more

Re: Second River Niger Bridge And A Sea Port At Onitsha: Shall We Celebrate? by PROUDIGBO(m): 2:16am On Apr 09, 2012
Re: Second River Niger Bridge And A Sea Port At Onitsha: Shall We Celebrate? by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 8:28pm On Apr 09, 2012
PROUD-IGBO:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXRW2pSuHpo

It's ok i guess.

Wow, thanks for the post PROUD-IGBO. The bridge looks impressive with the double rail track and three lane roads on opposing directions. I suppose it is a high way crossing. An Arch Steel frame would make it a work of art and add to the attraction of the venue.
Re: Second River Niger Bridge And A Sea Port At Onitsha: Shall We Celebrate? by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 5:34am On Apr 13, 2012
Bliss4Lyfe: Bridge Construction Set

Second River Niger Bridge Model 3
I suppose this model is suited for the second niger high way crossing.

Re: Second River Niger Bridge And A Sea Port At Onitsha: Shall We Celebrate? by saydfact(m): 4:30pm On Apr 13, 2012
NOW SOME1 IS JOB-LESS.... this talk has been going on forever; y waste my time on voting.... i just wasted some reply-ing thou.
lipsrsealed kiss lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Second River Niger Bridge And A Sea Port At Onitsha: Shall We Celebrate? by Nobody: 4:46pm On Apr 13, 2012
SIGHSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS....THIS POSTER MUST BE A FULL-TIME JOKER.... lipsrsealed embarassed embarassed...THOUGHT THE WORK HAS COMMENCED SERIOUSLY.....STILL TALKING..... cry cry

1 Like

Re: Second River Niger Bridge And A Sea Port At Onitsha: Shall We Celebrate? by PROUDIGBO(m): 4:46pm On Apr 13, 2012
Bliss4Lyfe:

Wow, thanks for the post PROUD-IGBO. The bridge looks impressive with the double rail track and three lane roads on opposing directions. I suppose it is a high way crossing. An Arch Steel frame would make it a work of art and add to the attraction of the venue.

^^^Thanks Bliss'. Though i think you're pushing your luck a bit asking for a fancy 'steel framed' design and should grab the basic/functional one you've been 'graciously' given b/4 someone changes their mind undecided. When we're better able to, we can build the grand river crossing Onitsha/Asaba actually deserve.
Re: Second River Niger Bridge And A Sea Port At Onitsha: Shall We Celebrate? by tit(f): 5:06pm On Apr 13, 2012
bliss,
are you sure those pics labelled incheon, bilboa, etc are not from heaven?
if man can create such beautiful things how would al janah be?
Re: Second River Niger Bridge And A Sea Port At Onitsha: Shall We Celebrate? by Nobody: 5:12pm On Apr 13, 2012
A seaport and a constructed 2nd niger bridge will provide unlimited economic boom!
Re: Second River Niger Bridge And A Sea Port At Onitsha: Shall We Celebrate? by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 5:14pm On Apr 13, 2012
tit: bliss,
are you sure those pics labelled incheon, bilboa, etc are not from heaven?
if man can create such beautiful things how would al janah be?

They are right here on earth. It is time for Africa to start doing things like the rest of the world.
Re: Second River Niger Bridge And A Sea Port At Onitsha: Shall We Celebrate? by Nobody: 5:18pm On Apr 13, 2012
Bliss4Lyfe: ^^Trust is something that people earn overtime in character. Chinaemeze of Igboland has earned the trust of Igbo people that matter and we have given him our full support and with GEJ we will remain in support. Do not derail my thread with ur chums and bigotry.
Re: Second River Niger Bridge And A Sea Port At Onitsha: Shall We Celebrate? by Nobody: 5:19pm On Apr 13, 2012
Bliss4Lyfe: ^^Trust is something that people earn overtime in character. Chinaemeze of Igboland has earned the trust of Igbo people that matter and we have given him our full support and with GEJ we will remain in support. Do not derail my thread with ur chums and bigotry.
eziokwu ka ikwuru
Re: Second River Niger Bridge And A Sea Port At Onitsha: Shall We Celebrate? by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 5:20pm On Apr 13, 2012
PROUD-IGBO:

^^^Thanks Bliss'. Though i think you're pushing your luck a bit asking for a fancy 'steel framed' design and should grab the basic/functional one you've been 'graciously' given b/4 someone changes their mind undecided. When we're better able to, we can build the grand river crossing Onitsha/Asaba actually deserve.

I see ur point. Just making my own contributions. Who knows, the bridge builders might pick an interest on some of the suggestions made by contributors to the post.

Danny3230:
eziokwu ka ikwuru

Okwa ya
Re: Second River Niger Bridge And A Sea Port At Onitsha: Shall We Celebrate? by tlops(m): 5:24pm On Apr 13, 2012
good move but the should think ahead. include a rail line under it for future possibility..

In 1991 the Denmark and Swedish governments agreed to build a bridge to connect the two countries across Oresund. Later that year the two parliaments ratified the agreement and scheduled the design to be completed by 1994. The 16 km long Oresund link between Sweden and Denmark is now complete. At 6 am on August 14, 1999 the final section of the Oresund bridge was placed in position by the floating crane, "Svanen". Six hours later, Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden and Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark met on the bridge to mark the fact that Denmark and Sweden are linked once more - 7,000 years after the Ice Age when they were landlocked. The project opened to traffic during the summer of 2000.

The Oresund Bridge is the world's longest single bridge carrying both road and railway traffic. In the design full advantage was taken of repetition by composing the major part of the bridge of identical spans. The high bridge with its record-breaking cable-stayed span of 490m is designed to harmonize both structurally and aesthetically with the approach bridges. In the construction phase the on-site activities were completed in just 2 1/2 years due to an extensive use of prefabrication and erection of large units.

Re: Second River Niger Bridge And A Sea Port At Onitsha: Shall We Celebrate? by ypzilanti: 5:54pm On Apr 13, 2012
Even the tribal politics we no sabi! I have never campaigned for sectional interests in Nigeria but seems to me that before the Igbo govenors gave thier endorsement to Goodluck, they should have used this as a bargaining chip. Even in USA politicians 'blackmail' for regional interests. It is called 'earmaking'.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Bisi Alimi Slams Senators Behind Anti Same Sex Bill (Photo) / Fani-Kayode And Precious Chikwendu Welcome Baby Boy / "I Fled In Ajimobi’s Car After Governor Watched As Thugs Beat Me Up" – Dapo Lam-

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.