Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,390 members, 7,808,376 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:08 AM

Has Your Car Ever Been Vandalised At The Port? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Has Your Car Ever Been Vandalised At The Port? (3317 Views)

I Think I've Discovered The Worst Car EVER! / Seriously Chill: BMW H2 On Ice Is Coolest Art Car Ever / The Coolest Car Ever (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Has Your Car Ever Been Vandalised At The Port? by Nobody: 8:14am On Mar 17, 2012
My uncle cleared a C-class benz car through an agent from the Lagos port. He noticed that the car stereo was vandalised and has been fuming seriously about this. He tried to seek redress from the appropriate authority and was told it was a common thing at the port. I had to give my uncle a distance for the time being should he start biting every one around him. grin
so, the issue is have your car ever been vadalised at the port? And how can the issue of car vandalisation be addressed?
Re: Has Your Car Ever Been Vandalised At The Port? by SamMilla1(m): 9:50am On Mar 17, 2012
Many times. Infact at a time, i started disconnecting all the losable components and shipping them separately to Lagos.. Headlamps, car stereos, etc.
Re: Has Your Car Ever Been Vandalised At The Port? by jerryben12: 10:26am On Mar 17, 2012
Common occurrence. My Mercedes C300 was vandalized. Start learning your car before the vessel docks. This is an advise to get your car out quicker. The longer your car is at the port the more the chances of vandalization.
Re: Has Your Car Ever Been Vandalised At The Port? by Nobody: 10:29am On Mar 17, 2012
My mums car was imported from Europe. Those wharf rat damaged the boot just to steal the rear speakers.
Re: Has Your Car Ever Been Vandalised At The Port? by Sprumbaba: 10:40am On Mar 17, 2012
Re: Has Your Car Ever Been Vandalised At The Port? by adisarasaq(m): 1:19pm On Mar 17, 2012
Most of the labour in the port are criminal and i dont
think you can do anything because roll on vehicles does
not have insurance
Re: Has Your Car Ever Been Vandalised At The Port? by Emperoh(m): 4:28pm On Mar 17, 2012
Ok. . . .this is apparently the most common issue we have never pursued in Nigeria as dealers.
A lot of us suffer these issues silently. I have a lot of issues in this regard but will chronicle a few and the last but most painful one

First one was a 2003 Nissan Murano = door knobs were removed. It was on Hoegh i.e Five Star Terminal
2007 Honda Odyssey = Hoegh again, remote key was removed = Five star terminal
2005 Toyota Sienna x2 = Hoegh for the first one; lost the fuel tank cover and and all the wheel covers. it was a bonded terminal at Alakija forgotten the name
the second one was Sallaum lines were i lost the glasses on the two side mirrors

2006 Honda Accord = Grimaldi = I lost a spare remote key, PTML terminal

But the most painful happened to me last year. I shipped a 2003 Toyota Corolla thru Grimaldi
unfortunately, a car that was bought, sound, hale and hearty was delivered to me with knocked engine, dead battery, power window control
and some gashes on the side and a torn metal just under the trunk. I spend almost 3ook to bring it back to life before delivering it to the client

Now someone needs to tell me how to press for damages and who and where to hold people responsible. Clearing Agents, pls help us out
Re: Has Your Car Ever Been Vandalised At The Port? by Niseamaka(m): 7:02pm On Mar 17, 2012
A mitsubishi L300 van i shipped early last year
was broken into,inspite of being well protected
(the booth and sliding doors were well welded)
and about 75 percent of the contents was stolen.
Re: Has Your Car Ever Been Vandalised At The Port? by zebudaya(m): 8:40pm On Mar 17, 2012
Were the cars in containers? Is it possible to vandalize cars in containers?
Re: Has Your Car Ever Been Vandalised At The Port? by Underdogg(m): 9:22pm On Mar 17, 2012
How about containerising? Its more expensive but at least The Boys would not be able to deduct their 'tarrif' from the vehicle. For me I'd say it's a worthwhile trade-off.
Re: Has Your Car Ever Been Vandalised At The Port? by aglomar: 10:20pm On Mar 17, 2012
containerizing is d best solution. the port thieves wont change even if d pope preaches to them
Re: Has Your Car Ever Been Vandalised At The Port? by calculusx(m): 11:13pm On Mar 17, 2012
Had a bitter experience with all the shipping lines except for Grimaldi. The lastest one was a 03 Accord, all the AC Nubs, both power controls,both side mirrors and the car key was not spared. I'm filing a claim with the shiping company to see if anything can be done cos it will cost me more than 50k to fix all these. Anytime i ship toyota camry tru AES/FIVE STAR, I definately know the driver side power window will be gone especially for 97 - 2001 Camry. I hope and pray that something will surely be done about this.
Re: Has Your Car Ever Been Vandalised At The Port? by femmy2010(m): 8:19am On Mar 18, 2012
Emperoh: Ok. . . .this is apparently the most common issue we have never pursued in Nigeria as dealers.
A lot of us suffer these issues silently. I have a lot of issues in this regard but will chronicle a few and the last but most painful one

First one was a 2003 Nissan Murano = door knobs were removed. It was on Hoegh i.e Five Star Terminal
2007 Honda Odyssey = Hoegh again, remote key was removed = Five star terminal
2005 Toyota Sienna x2 = Hoegh for the first one; lost the fuel tank cover and and all the wheel covers. it was a bonded terminal at Alakija forgotten the name
the second one was Sallaum lines were i lost the glasses on the two side mirrors

2006 Honda Accord = Grimaldi = I lost a spare remote key, PTML terminal

But the most painful happened to me last year. I shipped a 2003 Toyota Corolla thru Grimaldi
unfortunately, a car that was bought, sound, hale and hearty was delivered to me with knocked engine, dead battery, power window control
and some gashes on the side and a torn metal just under the trunk. I spend almost 3ook to bring it back to life before delivering it to the client

Now someone needs to tell me how to press for damages and who and where to hold people responsible. Clearing Agents, pls help us out

Those theft happens at the ports but a very rare occurrence when shipped through Grimaldi shipping line.
I do always recommend them cos of their efficiency anyday.
A bad engine could knock anytime though(check your TDO,you do see you were charged for non Starting,cos the vehicle must have been towed off the ship into their terminal here in 9ja),a bad battery could go dead after spending 2 -3 weeks sailing to 9ja,while a window control might not be working on purchase(except you tested it yourself on purchase in the USA).
Re: Has Your Car Ever Been Vandalised At The Port? by femmy2010(m): 8:24am On Mar 18, 2012
calculusx: Had a bitter experience with all the shipping lines except for Grimaldi. The lastest one was a 03 Accord, all the AC Nubs, both power controls,both side mirrors and the car key was not spared. I'm filing a claim with the shiping company to see if anything can be done cos it will cost me more than 50k to fix all these. Anytime i ship toyota camry tru AES/FIVE STAR, I definately know the driver side power window will be gone especially for 97 - 2001 Camry. I hope and pray that something will surely be done about this.

I feel your pain bruva,
it is important you get BOL across to your clearing agent before the arrival of the vessel conveying the car so that he can charge the terminal guards with the responsibility of watching over the car(Use the thief to guard your goods and it would be safe).
Was all the missing item documented with the shipping company before the 03 Accord was picked up by your agent?cos that is probably what would give your case a push.
Best of luck.
Re: Has Your Car Ever Been Vandalised At The Port? by femmy2010(m): 8:25am On Mar 18, 2012
aglomar: containerizing is d best solution. the port thieves wont change even if d pope preaches to them

lol
Re: Has Your Car Ever Been Vandalised At The Port? by femmy2010(m): 8:26am On Mar 18, 2012
zebudaya: Were the cars in containers? Is it possible to vandalize cars in containers?

Containerizing your shipment is the best any day.
Re: Has Your Car Ever Been Vandalised At The Port? by femmy2010(m): 8:34am On Mar 18, 2012
Niseamaka: A mitsubishi L300 van i shipped early last year
was broken into,inspite of being well protected
(the booth and sliding doors were well welded)
and about 75 percent of the contents was stolen.

Any loaded van would have to open when it is time for customs inspection and it is after this that the rats strikes(so sad).
It is imperative for your clearing agent to make sure it is a lock that is broken and he should get a replacement padlock after customs inspection.
Meaning,you can have most point of entry into your loaded Van welded but use a padlock to protect one side,as that is where your clearing agent would insist should be broken for customs to carry out their inspection and he puts a new padlock after inspection is done(he shouldn't also forget to give the terminal guards their "egunje"wink.
It can indeed be very bad loosing 75% of ones shipments though.
Re: Has Your Car Ever Been Vandalised At The Port? by femmy2010(m): 8:39am On Mar 18, 2012
Sprumbaba: You can file a claim. The shipper from the US should pay you. I have collected $500 before for some little theft like door control in my car.
They sent me a letter tha I will not purse any claim and I should accept $500.

I sent a brand new customized Conversion Bus last. They also gave me money. I can attach there letters here to prove it.

Wow,you were lucky oo.
Was it containerized?
Re: Has Your Car Ever Been Vandalised At The Port? by femmy2010(m): 8:40am On Mar 18, 2012
jerryben12: Common occurrence. My Mercedes C300 was vandalized. Start learning your car before the vessel docks. This is an advise to get your car out quicker. The longer your car is at the port the more the chances of vandalization.

you said it all.
Re: Has Your Car Ever Been Vandalised At The Port? by blackedwin: 9:18am On Mar 18, 2012
Gents,after reading this post,Oyi na tum oo,I just shipped this car through Grimaldi RORO and is due 1st week in April,I need advice on what to do to avoid this baby beeing tempered with by the whaf rats.

Look forward to helpful replies

Regards
Edwin

Re: Has Your Car Ever Been Vandalised At The Port? by Sprumbaba: 11:02am On Mar 18, 2012
Re: Has Your Car Ever Been Vandalised At The Port? by femmy2010(m): 10:56pm On Mar 18, 2012
blackedwin: Gents,after reading this post,Oyi na tum oo,I just shipped this car through Grimaldi RORO and is due 1st week in April,I need advice on what to do to avoid this baby beeing tempered with by the whaf rats.

Look forward to helpful replies

Regards
Edwin

Simply make sure your Bill Of Lading gets to your clearing agent on time and surely you do be fine.
Re: Has Your Car Ever Been Vandalised At The Port? by igbanbajo(m): 10:20am On Mar 19, 2012
bookmarked
Re: Has Your Car Ever Been Vandalised At The Port? by earthrealm(m): 10:59am On Mar 19, 2012
loading a threadmill/ 4 spare automative batteries inside an suv shipped from usa to nigeria/lagos........is it a good thing?..wud it be vandalized or impounded by customs?
Re: Has Your Car Ever Been Vandalised At The Port? by femmy2010(m): 8:54pm On Mar 19, 2012
earthrealm: loading a threadmill/ 4 spare automative batteries inside an suv shipped from usa to nigeria/lagos........is it a good thing?..wud it be vandalized or impounded by customs?

If you are allowed to ship it from the USA and you get it shipped on Grimaldi shipping line then we can help you clear it and delivered as shipped.

Call 08036363467 or email duduconsultt@yahoo.com

(1) (Reply)

Help! My Front Tyre Rim Gets Very Hot / Smart Fortwo Car Repairs / Kia Sorento 2004 Giving Me Headache

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.