Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,508 members, 7,781,560 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 05:02 PM

Connecting Cultures By Chimamanda Adichie - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Connecting Cultures By Chimamanda Adichie (4483 Views)

Ijeoma Ozichi Writes Chimamanda Adichie On The Oba Of Lagos Statement To Igbos / Chimamanda Adichie's Article On The Oba Of Lagos Saga / Miraculous Delivery Of Oga Jonah By Chimamanda Adichie (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Connecting Cultures By Chimamanda Adichie by chuxyn: 4:34pm On Mar 17, 2012
In the midst of all the turbulence and uncertainties beclouding the our country Nigeria and its people, there is always something to be proud of. This is Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie delivering a lecture recently at the commonwealth meeting in London entitled "Connecting Cultures".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmsYJDP8g2U&feature=share

1 Like

Re: Connecting Cultures By Chimamanda Adichie by Maisuya1: 5:04pm On Mar 17, 2012
I must say she is beautiful in both stature and speech.

1 Like

Re: Connecting Cultures By Chimamanda Adichie by owo2390(m): 5:47pm On Mar 17, 2012
papatosibe: Cant even understand her accent. Is she hiding something? . . . perhaps she plagiarized that speech. What will an ibo woman not do for fame and validation?

Unnecessary comment.

I have listened to her speak numerous times and have read her novel, she's eloquent, gracious, and literary adept. She has no reason to plagiarize. You should be proud of your fellow Nigerian instead of deriding her.
Re: Connecting Cultures By Chimamanda Adichie by OAM4J: 5:56pm On Mar 17, 2012
Very Brilliant!

I love this lady!
Re: Connecting Cultures By Chimamanda Adichie by papatosibe: 5:57pm On Mar 17, 2012
^^^^

Same speech she gave at TED. She is not as creative as shed like us to believe.
Re: Connecting Cultures By Chimamanda Adichie by Afam4eva(m): 5:58pm On Mar 17, 2012
OAM4J: Very Brilliant!

I love this lady!

No be only you. We all love her.

Actually, this is the kind of lady i would love to marry but unfortunately we don't really have them in Nigeria anymore. It's only those no-goood blackberry babes with their fake Brazilian hair that we have left.
Re: Connecting Cultures By Chimamanda Adichie by Seun(m): 5:59pm On Mar 17, 2012
papatosibe: ^^^^Same speech she gave at TED. She is not as creative as shed like us to believe.
She's a brilliant writer, but brilliant writing takes a lot of time, so you must economize!
Re: Connecting Cultures By Chimamanda Adichie by owo2390(m): 6:18pm On Mar 17, 2012
Maybe she was asked to reiterate what she said at TED because her TED talk was poignant, and pertinent to the commonwealth meeting.

Her message is the same because of continuity and uniform of message not for a lack of creativity.

If your message is good, why change it?
Re: Connecting Cultures By Chimamanda Adichie by OAM4J: 6:19pm On Mar 17, 2012
papatosibe: ^^^^

Not exactly the same, some background similarities but entirely different focus. This speech is more about the impact of realist story books, but the speech she gave at TED was about the danger of a single story, dealing with stereotypes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9Ihs241zeg
Re: Connecting Cultures By Chimamanda Adichie by chuks49(m): 6:22pm On Mar 17, 2012
papatosibe: Cant even understand her accent. Is she hiding something? . . . perhaps she plagiarized that speech. What will an ibo woman not do for fame and validation?

Be kind to yourself, secure a bed space @ d nearest psychiatric ward b4 its too late.

1 Like

Re: Connecting Cultures By Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 6:22pm On Mar 17, 2012
She's got beauty plus brain. A pride to her country.
Re: Connecting Cultures By Chimamanda Adichie by emmke(m): 6:22pm On Mar 17, 2012
very beautiful woman. Her and Helon Habila are my favorites
Re: Connecting Cultures By Chimamanda Adichie by 2rutalk1: 6:27pm On Mar 17, 2012
@Papatosibe
People like you who are so prejudicial with undue tribal sentiments hardly make it in life. Learn to appreciate people irrespective of their tribe or religion. NONESENSE!
Re: Connecting Cultures By Chimamanda Adichie by usefrank(m): 7:51pm On Mar 17, 2012
My instinct tells me that Papatosibe is an owambeh. They keep hating to see any thing good in Igbo. And view keep hating that they can not help but sit back and watch. Take heart, my brother. I know how it feels. Here is some advice. You can just grin and pretend to be happy like the others.
Re: Connecting Cultures By Chimamanda Adichie by looker: 8:09pm On Mar 17, 2012
That is all they do, hating the Igbos, Osukwu this Osukwu that, cannot even pronounce Ojukwu, Osukwu ran away from war. One of their Chief just killed himself because of the fear of EFCC.
Re: Connecting Cultures By Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 9:38pm On Mar 17, 2012
@OP, thanks for posting this.
Re: Connecting Cultures By Chimamanda Adichie by dasparrow: 9:40pm On Mar 17, 2012
I guess the hatred amongst Nigerians cuts so deep that people cannot even give credit where credit is due. I have alot of respect for Chimamanda and it is sad that someone will come here and accuse her of plagiarism all because she's of a different tribe from the accuser. If this is what Nigeria has become, then I am ever so glad that I do not live there anymore. We are just deceiving ourselves with "one Nigeria." Later on, we Nigerians will complain that people of other nationalities and racial groups treat us with so much disdain. We forget that non-Nigerians visit this site too. What do you think they will think of us when they read some of this hate comments? A house divided amongst itself can never stand. Therefore, do not be suprised when we are treated like crap by other africans and non-africans alike.
Re: Connecting Cultures By Chimamanda Adichie by Afam4eva(m): 9:55pm On Mar 17, 2012
I just watched the dangers of a single story and I must say that this lady is well learned and intelligent.

1 Like

Re: Connecting Cultures By Chimamanda Adichie by Dede1(m): 10:49pm On Mar 17, 2012
@papatosible

When I vehemently called for disintegration of Nigeria because of irrevocable bias and grudge we have for each other due to undue tribal sentiments, I am labeled a bigot.
Re: Connecting Cultures By Chimamanda Adichie by mercenaryx(m): 10:58pm On Mar 17, 2012
Dede1: @papatosible

When I vehemently called for disintegration of Nigeria because of irrevocable bias and grudge we have for each other due to undue tribal sentiments, I am labeled a bigot.

And you think disintegration will eradicate prejudice?.... You think some ibos dont seclude themselves from others?... Please!
Re: Connecting Cultures By Chimamanda Adichie by tanimola22: 11:06pm On Mar 17, 2012
papatosibe: ^^^^

Same or similar?

@all

Mhen, this lady's accent is neither Nigerian nor American, just one very clear and nice accent. You can never ever guess her mother tongue.

I am proud of her. Nothing konsaine me if she is from here or there, she looks like me and has the same nationality as me. Even my well-read foreign friends know her novel(s), and they hold her in high esteem. I see no reason why fellow Nigerians should badmouth this our icon in the making.

To each his own sha.

T22
Re: Connecting Cultures By Chimamanda Adichie by mercenaryx(m): 11:14pm On Mar 17, 2012
tanimola22:

Same or similar?

@all

Mhen, this lady's accent is neither Nigerian nor American, just one very clear and nice accent. You can never ever guess her mother tongue.

I am proud of her. Nothing konsaine me if she is from here or there, she looks like me and has the same nationality as me. Even my well-read foreign friends know her novel(s), and they hold her in high esteem. I see no reason why fellow Nigerians should badmouth this our icon in the making.

To each his own sha.

T22

You are a sage!... May Ikwesusu grant you long life and resources to live happy.
Re: Connecting Cultures By Chimamanda Adichie by blackis(m): 11:25pm On Mar 17, 2012
Beautiful, absolutely beautiful presentation by Chimamanda. Welldone!!
Re: Connecting Cultures By Chimamanda Adichie by ProfJYK(m): 11:48pm On Mar 17, 2012
Danger of a Single sided story (TED) was beautiful. can't wait to watch this, mobile for now. C.N. Adichie, pls keep our flag flying.

Tanimola22, God Bless you.
Re: Connecting Cultures By Chimamanda Adichie by Santino1(m): 12:04am On Mar 18, 2012
What an excellent speech.....for the first time in a very long time, I feel proud being a Nigerian...More grease to her elbow
Re: Connecting Cultures By Chimamanda Adichie by antitpiah: 3:23am On Mar 18, 2012
tanimola22:

Same or similar?

@all

To each his own sha.

T22

Same WRT to message; similar with respect to content and delivery. She is overrated, trust me your foreign friends are only saying positive things about her when they are around you so as to make your despondent self happy and not be seen as being too harsh on a fish-brain and low self esteeem lost Black soul like yourself. It is one of the many ways they control your emotions, lower your self worth and make your lazy mind depend on them for validation, just like they did to our grand parents when they colonized them. Well, it seems you have not learnt to think for yourself after so many years and thousands of dollars spent on educating your fickle mind. . . a mind is REALLY a terrible thing to waste. And a colonized educated mind is really a TERRIBLE thing to waste. I would not want to be you.

So I am supposed to be impressed because your well-read foreign friends hold her in high esteem? SMH

Do you also easily give up your p/u/n/n/y when a foreign male looks at your ugly black a/s/s? Life must be so easy for you when you are around your foreign friends, init?
Re: Connecting Cultures By Chimamanda Adichie by antitpiah: 3:26am On Mar 18, 2012
Santino1: What an excellent speech.....for the first time in a very long time, I feel proud being a Nigerian...More grease to her elbow

How old are you?
Re: Connecting Cultures By Chimamanda Adichie by mercenaryx(m): 6:13am On Mar 18, 2012
antitpiah:

Same WRT to message; similar with respect to content and delivery. She is overrated, trust me your foreign friends are only saying positive things about her when they are around you so as to make your despondent self happy and not be seen as being too harsh on a fish-brain and low self esteeem lost Black soul like yourself. It is one of the many ways they control your emotions, lower your self worth and make your lazy mind depend on them for validation, just like they did to our grand parents when they colonized them. Well, it seems you have not learnt to think for yourself after so many years and thousands of dollars spent on educating your fickle mind. . . a mind is REALLY a terrible thing to waste. And a colonized educated mind is really a TERRIBLE thing to waste. I would not want to be you.

So I am supposed to be impressed because your well-read foreign friends hold her in high esteem? SMH

Do you also easily give up your p/u/n/n/y when a foreign male looks at your ugly black a/s/s? Life must be so easy for you when you are around your foreign friends, init?

Bunkum

(1) (2) (Reply)

ADAM (rebooted)--dark Fantasy/sci-fi / TORN!!! (A Queer Story) / Story:yahoo Boy part 1 by astronautog

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.