Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,812 members, 7,802,615 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 05:22 PM

What Do The Names Of Nigerian States and Cities Mean? - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Do The Names Of Nigerian States and Cities Mean? (19143 Views)

The 6 Things Graduates Of Nigerian Public Universities Can Never Forget / Assessment Of Nigeria's Universities And Their Hosting Towns And Cities / Names Of Tuition Free Universities In Norway, Canada And Sweden (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Do The Names Of Nigerian States and Cities Mean? by Nobody: 8:46pm On Mar 19, 2012
Mynd_44:
you must not be Yoruba. You need to be flogged.
Ile Ife means the land that spreads

Oodua a gbe e.
Re: What Do The Names Of Nigerian States and Cities Mean? by Mynd44: 8:49pm On Mar 19, 2012
9jacrip:

Oodua a gbe e.
Thanks
Re: What Do The Names Of Nigerian States and Cities Mean? by 1Dray(m): 8:55pm On Mar 19, 2012
Abuja, Suleja, Lokoja are coined from the name of 3 sons of a King, King Ja. The names of his said 3 sons are Abu, Sule and Loko

1 Like

Re: What Do The Names Of Nigerian States and Cities Mean? by udbyron1(m): 8:56pm On Mar 19, 2012
ekpriobong: Akwa Ibom was actually named after the Qua Iboe river. Akwa Ibom can be referred to something big in magnitude. Akwa itself means Big while Ibom there is use to express how big it is. Uyo is Bush Mango tree (in Efik/Ibibio) that the fruit is used in cooking raw soup. The Igbos really know about this tree.
that's right ma brother,nice of you for surely we truely represent.
Re: What Do The Names Of Nigerian States and Cities Mean? by ceejayluv(m): 9:07pm On Mar 19, 2012
1Dray: Abuja, Suleja, Lokoja are coined from the name of 3 sons of a King, King Ja. The names of his said 3 sons are Abu, Sule and Loko
Awesome!
Re: What Do The Names Of Nigerian States and Cities Mean? by JW214: 9:10pm On Mar 19, 2012
1Dray: Abuja, Suleja, Lokoja are coined from the name of 3 sons of a King, King Ja. The names of his said 3 sons are Abu, Sule and Loko

Really! I am learning from this thread.
Re: What Do The Names Of Nigerian States and Cities Mean? by dubem3(m): 9:12pm On Mar 19, 2012
NRI PRIEST: Anambra was a british murder of the original name of the great river "Omanbala" which is the most important feeder of the river niger below lokoja.
Basicly,Omanbala means= A river on our land

sorry can you break down omambala to the individual words that equal 'a river on our land'.
I know the history of the corruption of omambala, but i can't actually see how it sums up to the meaning u gave above... Biko Nwanne kowaciate
Re: What Do The Names Of Nigerian States and Cities Mean? by queensmith: 9:14pm On Mar 19, 2012
Drock4christ: Ekiti means- Land of peace,knowledge,wisdom&success, i am proud of my STATE

Are we speaking literal meaning or we just making stuff up??

Ekiti means hill grin i am overly proud of myself for knowing that!

The prefix normally mean under over and long and such, my town translates to wide

1 Like

Re: What Do The Names Of Nigerian States and Cities Mean? by Ninilowo(m): 9:16pm On Mar 19, 2012
Pakavy: wats d capital.of nairaland pls?!
Ota.
Re: What Do The Names Of Nigerian States and Cities Mean? by kwaghe: 9:18pm On Mar 19, 2012
[color=#006600][/color] Adamawa means descendants of Adama. Modibbo Adama was the patriach of the Adama dynasty, the holders of the Adamawa emirate council. Michika means the land of opportunities.
Re: What Do The Names Of Nigerian States and Cities Mean? by Ninilowo(m): 9:23pm On Mar 19, 2012
Awori means a place where awo(earthen pot) sank ( o ri)

Ikorodu means oko odu. A vegetable (odu) farm.
Eko means oko (farm)
Re: What Do The Names Of Nigerian States and Cities Mean? by enzyme9: 9:24pm On Mar 19, 2012
kano was name of d father of d first hausa people 2 settle in Dala d centre of kano city. They com 4rm Gaya town, also presently a local gov in d state.
Re: What Do The Names Of Nigerian States and Cities Mean? by Balyz: 9:25pm On Mar 19, 2012
chuks49: Borno ~ Boko Haram
U must be high on something
Re: What Do The Names Of Nigerian States and Cities Mean? by ronkeenuf(f): 9:28pm On Mar 19, 2012
Ikorodu is a conscription of oko odu which means odu farm. odu is a vegetable widely planted in ikorodu before people started settling there
Re: What Do The Names Of Nigerian States and Cities Mean? by ronkeenuf(f): 9:33pm On Mar 19, 2012
didn't know someone had posted something similar
Re: What Do The Names Of Nigerian States and Cities Mean? by Nobody: 9:36pm On Mar 19, 2012
Kwara- a river passing through the region.
Ilorin- place(stone) to sharpen farm implements(iron)
Offa- bow(weapon)
Re: What Do The Names Of Nigerian States and Cities Mean? by ayobase(m): 9:41pm On Mar 19, 2012
Maurice45: Aso Rock. D displaced gwari indigenes of asokoro in abuja, in their gwari language. "aso" means victory, asokoro means people of victory. Its such a nice sight wit a gud meaning for Nigeria's seat of power 'aso rock'

hmmmm!
Sweet!
Re: What Do The Names Of Nigerian States and Cities Mean? by ayobase(m): 9:42pm On Mar 19, 2012
chuks49: Borno ~ Boko Haram

cant accept more!
Re: What Do The Names Of Nigerian States and Cities Mean? by Nobody: 9:45pm On Mar 19, 2012
Add me on BBM. Pin: 26BE3874!!! I wanna reach 500bbmers.. Sounds silly huh? I know, I'm hyper active so I constantly need to be involved in an activity.
Re: What Do The Names Of Nigerian States and Cities Mean? by Reggie2(m): 9:46pm On Mar 19, 2012
Why Imo guys no answer their Papa name sef?
Imo State comes from the legendary Imo river
and the State is presently enjoying good publicity.
Re: What Do The Names Of Nigerian States and Cities Mean? by deebayour(m): 9:56pm On Mar 19, 2012
Osun means "something that brings out water or d source of water named after the yoruba female diety dat controls rivers its capital Osogbo is Oso-igbo named "forest spirit after a spirit that lives in the forest near the river
Re: What Do The Names Of Nigerian States and Cities Mean? by ritux: 10:02pm On Mar 19, 2012
does anyone know the meaning of Warri or the origin?
Re: What Do The Names Of Nigerian States and Cities Mean? by deebayour(m): 10:05pm On Mar 19, 2012
According 2 yoruba history "Benin" is Ile Ibinu (land of anger)as its king Oranmiyan d son of oduduwa was said to have left d kingdom in anger after discovering treachery from some of his native chiefs. Ile-Ife means "home of expansion" due to the fact that it is regarded as where all the Yorubas originated from
Re: What Do The Names Of Nigerian States and Cities Mean? by otinwa(m): 10:11pm On Mar 19, 2012
Pakavy: wats d capital.of nairaland pls?!

Re: What Do The Names Of Nigerian States and Cities Mean? by otinwa(m): 10:24pm On Mar 19, 2012
Aiyepe ijebu: the town call Aiyepe is coined from the phrase '' oju aiye pe'' which means the world is represent here. That why the town is made up of all the YORUBA ethic. Ijebu, Remo, Ife, Egba etc.
Re: What Do The Names Of Nigerian States and Cities Mean? by Jawn(m): 10:24pm On Mar 19, 2012
Nigeria means FALSEHOOD. A house built NOT on the rock,but on sand and is destined to FALL. (Though, truth is bitter). Nigeria means a ghost built by British Fraudsters. TAKE or LEAVE it.
Re: What Do The Names Of Nigerian States and Cities Mean? by http(m): 10:28pm On Mar 19, 2012
Ikorodu is a city in lagos state, the name is coined from the word Oko-Odu, meaning Odu farm, its a traditional leaf know predominantly in the area, alot of the early inhabitant cultivate this tree for domestic purpose.
Re: What Do The Names Of Nigerian States and Cities Mean? by ekpriobong(m): 10:35pm On Mar 19, 2012
ud byron[1:
]that's right ma brother,nice of you for surely we truely represent.

Mbo nnam die. Yak ikene isio uyo!!!
Re: What Do The Names Of Nigerian States and Cities Mean? by Nobody: 10:35pm On Mar 19, 2012
Ninilowo:
Ota.
No its Sango
Re: What Do The Names Of Nigerian States and Cities Mean? by odumchi: 10:41pm On Mar 19, 2012
Arochukwu means 'God's Spear' in Igbo.
Enugu aka Enu-ugwu means 'top of the hill' in Igbo.
Cross River State was name after the River Cross River.
Abia state is an acronym for its original four LGAs.

1 Like

Re: What Do The Names Of Nigerian States and Cities Mean? by Nobody: 10:44pm On Mar 19, 2012
Ago Iwoye.. A town in Ijebu kingdom in Ogun state
The town back in those days was known for alot of traditional healers who specializes in treating the mentally derailed (Mad people)
Myth has it dat visitors who visits often get there share of kolomental too.. Purposely inflicted on dem by d healers
Families of d victim ll be left wit no choice but to return dat person to the town 4 treatment
Ago means Compound
Iwoye means Healing

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Aggrieved Customer Calls Out Polaris Bank Over UK School Tuition Refund Impasse / LIST: Federal Unity Colleges In Nigeria / Ngige: Suspension Of Strike ‘depends On ASUU

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.