Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,449 members, 7,770,101 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 03:22 AM

A Database Of Traditional Igbo Names - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / A Database Of Traditional Igbo Names (40238 Views)

Masquerade At Burial Of Traditional Ruler. Nnewi / Post Pictures Of Traditional Weddings. / Igbo Names & Their Meanings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Database Of Traditional Igbo Names by odumchi: 9:06pm On Mar 17, 2012
My people, let us put our heads together and form a database of traditional Igbo names along with their meanings. By traditional, I mean 'old Igbo' names that our ancestors answered (not names like Chima, Chioma, Emeka or etc).

Please let our motto while doing this be: ava anyi evukwa.

When you list the names please list it in this fashion: (name/dialect/meaning)
Re: A Database Of Traditional Igbo Names by odumchi: 9:37pm On Mar 17, 2012
I'll start.

Azinna (Aro) - the father's flesh.
Ezuma/Ezumah (Aro) - good character.
Nwavor/Okoravor (Aro) - child born on 'avor' market day.
Achinivu (Aro) - one who leads forward.
Akuma (Aro) - name of an Aro forefather given to males.

2 Likes

Re: A Database Of Traditional Igbo Names by Nobody: 10:04pm On Mar 17, 2012
odumchi:
Akuma (Aro) - name of an Aro forefather given to males.

Wait oh you mean Akuma in street fighter is from the east , always knew that guy had some black blood in him to be that good. How about Balrog ? the guy definitely has black blood flowing in his veins
Re: A Database Of Traditional Igbo Names by aryzgreat: 10:16pm On Mar 17, 2012
agbomma = gud breed
ona mma = ornament
Re: A Database Of Traditional Igbo Names by mercenaryx(m): 10:17pm On Mar 17, 2012
apocalypse:

Wait oh you mean Akuma in street fighter is from the east , always knew that guy had some black blood in him to be that good. How about Balrog ? the guy definitely has black blood flowing in his veins

are you okay?
Re: A Database Of Traditional Igbo Names by Yorisb: 10:21pm On Mar 17, 2012
Dimgba = Warrior/Wrestler/Fighter
Re: A Database Of Traditional Igbo Names by osajojo(m): 10:30pm On Mar 17, 2012
Onyeotu/meaning puss.y lover
Ikeoma /fine arsh

1 Like

Re: A Database Of Traditional Igbo Names by sexyglow(f): 10:31pm On Mar 17, 2012
Don't confuse me I beg those names are pronounced as Okoroafo(r) Afoma,),Afo =year etc.. Wch one is avo?which Lang is that?

1 Like

Re: A Database Of Traditional Igbo Names by publisher(m): 10:32pm On Mar 17, 2012
Amunna = Father's blockos grin
Re: A Database Of Traditional Igbo Names by Yorisb: 10:37pm On Mar 17, 2012
^^

osajojo: Onyeotu/meaning puss.y lover
Ikeoma /fine arsh
shocked shocked
Re: A Database Of Traditional Igbo Names by Yorisb: 10:40pm On Mar 17, 2012
sexy glow: Don't confuse me I beg those names are pronounced as Okoroafo(r) Afoma,),Afo =year etc.. Wch one is avo?which Lang is that?

I presume he's tryna write in ARO...
Re: A Database Of Traditional Igbo Names by mezie4u(m): 10:42pm On Mar 17, 2012
sexy glow: Don't confuse me I beg those names are pronounced as Okoroafo(r) Afoma,),Afo =year etc.. Wch one is avo?which Lang is that?
i wonder what he meant by 'avo' instead of 'afor' u re suppose to use general igbo in things like this not ur own local mbaise dialect
Re: A Database Of Traditional Igbo Names by alwaysemmy(m): 10:48pm On Mar 17, 2012
Matagu: meaning... Get lion
Nweke: man born on eke market day
Re: A Database Of Traditional Igbo Names by mercenaryx(m): 10:50pm On Mar 17, 2012

Portuguese....Lol
Re: A Database Of Traditional Igbo Names by alwaysemmy(m): 10:52pm On Mar 17, 2012
Anukaikputo: meat wey sweet pass pussy.
Okoyeocha: white okoye.
Re: A Database Of Traditional Igbo Names by NRIPRIEST(m): 10:53pm On Mar 17, 2012
Olisaeloka=God thought well.
Arunma=Beautiful body.
Ifeadi=fortune has arrived.
Odumegwu=I feel astonished.
Okude=bowl of fame.
Ayondu=wealth of life.
Okwuego= thought of riches.
Udego=the fame of wealth.
Nwakaego=A child is greater than wealth. . .this is my favourite Igbo female name and I will give my daughter this name when he blesses me with a girl child.

4 Likes

Re: A Database Of Traditional Igbo Names by Yorisb: 10:56pm On Mar 17, 2012
alwaysemmy: Anukaikputo: meat wey sweet pass pussy.

Ahh! Guy where una dey dig out these names from? Lol

Neva heard of 'em! shocked

1 Like

Re: A Database Of Traditional Igbo Names by Binkalette: 10:56pm On Mar 17, 2012
aryzgreat: agbomma = gud breed
ona mma = ornament
Same here.[img]http://www.demama.info/hjk[/img]
Re: A Database Of Traditional Igbo Names by odumchi: 10:57pm On Mar 17, 2012

I wrote the names in their original dialects. We don't have to write in central Igbo because we are looking for names that existed long before the advent of central Igbo. In Aro dialect, year is 'avo' and almost all things said with 'f' in central Igbo are said with 'v'.

Now please give us your own contributions smiley

4 Likes

Re: A Database Of Traditional Igbo Names by odumchi: 11:00pm On Mar 17, 2012
mezie4u:
i wonder what he meant by 'avo' instead of 'afor' u re suppose to use general igbo in things like this not ur own local mbaise dialect

I don't think our ancestors spoke Central Igbo, did they? That's why I said people should please list names alongside with their meanings and dialects. You've yet to supply us with original names you may know lol

1 Like

Re: A Database Of Traditional Igbo Names by odumchi: 11:02pm On Mar 17, 2012
NRI PRIEST: Olisaeloka=God thought well.
Arunma=Beautiful body.
Ifeadi=fortune has arrived.
Odumegwu=I feel astonished.
Okude=bowl of fame.
Ayondu=wealth of life.
Okwuego= thought of riches.
Udego=the fame of wealth.
Nwakaego=A child is greater than wealth. . .this is my favourite Igbo female name and I will give my daughter this name when he blesses me with a girl child.

Nri, my friend, thanks for your contribution. I'm guessing these are in Idenmil?
Re: A Database Of Traditional Igbo Names by ChinenyeN(m): 11:04pm On Mar 17, 2012
Lol see how some are getting tight over simple Okoravo/Nwavo. This is simply why I don't make any "Ngwa contributions" when it comes to threads like this, or at least, it is one reason why.

1 Like

Re: A Database Of Traditional Igbo Names by NRIPRIEST(m): 11:13pm On Mar 17, 2012
Akude=fame from wealth.
Nwaobi=Son of his people.
Udegbuna=may my fame not bring death to me.
Obiefuna=may my lineage not be lost.
Ilozuo=when enemies gather.
Ugoezumba=ones fame is not universal.
Egbunike=not to kill with force.
Ikemba=fame in a foreign land.
Udezuka=sufficient fame/greatness.

More to come.
Re: A Database Of Traditional Igbo Names by ceejayluv(m): 11:14pm On Mar 17, 2012
Ogbuagu, Ogbuefi,.. Wonder if there is OgbuNkita, lol
Re: A Database Of Traditional Igbo Names by odumchi: 11:18pm On Mar 17, 2012
Here are some more

Arisa (Aro) - One with good memory
Obasi (Aro/Ngwa) - God
Adaora (Nri-Awka) - daughter of the people
Ogbuefi (Nri-Awka) - cow killer (aka wealthy man)
Re: A Database Of Traditional Igbo Names by ChinenyeN(m): 11:21pm On Mar 17, 2012
See how easily some people just neglect protocol. Odumchi, did you not ask for [Name (Origin) - Meaning]?
Re: A Database Of Traditional Igbo Names by odumchi: 11:29pm On Mar 17, 2012
ChinenyeN: See how easily some people just neglect protocol. Odumchi, did you not ask for [Name (Origin) - Meaning]?

Lol. I asked for it but i knew people would overlook it. I know I shouldn't expect much in terms of rule abidement.

Anyway, don't mind what people will say. You should feel free to post Ngwa.
Re: A Database Of Traditional Igbo Names by odumchi: 11:39pm On Mar 17, 2012
More

Diji (Nri-Awka) - yam harvester
Diubi (Aro) - farmer
Okpikpeghe/Okpokpogho (Aro) - One who accumulates wealth
Torti (Aro) - I really don't know...

Who is willing to give us a translation of: Anicho/Aniche/Alicho/Aliche (general Eastern Igbo)?

Special thanks to all of those who have contributed. Our offspring will value your efforts. More contributions!

1 Like

Re: A Database Of Traditional Igbo Names by Abagworo(m): 11:49pm On Mar 17, 2012
Chiavoghilefu(Day does not break in vain) - Ngwa

Nwaehioma(Born on a good day) - Ngwa

Onyeoma(Good one) - Ngwa

Iheoma(Good thing) - Ngwa
Re: A Database Of Traditional Igbo Names by Abagworo(m): 11:55pm On Mar 17, 2012
Uyoma(Good home) - Oroatta

Nmerenini(Innocent or literally what have I done) - Oratta

Abii(Money)- Oratta

Akagha - Oratta
Re: A Database Of Traditional Igbo Names by ChinenyeN(m): 12:09am On Mar 18, 2012
odumchi:
Lol. I asked for it but i knew people would overlook it. I know I shouldn't expect much in terms of rule abidement.
I guess.

odumchi: Anyway, don't mind what people will say. You should feel free to post Ngwa.
Exclusivity is a valuable thing for me. That's why I seldom make Ngwa contributions like that. If ever I'm going to make a contribution, then I know it will be one that will/does not betray exclusivity.

For example:
Ngwankam (Ngwa) - Regardless of who surpasses me, God surpasses them
Adivo (Ngwa) - False accusations are being raised against me
Olunjia (Ngwa) - Beauty that captures the gaze
Amuma (Ngwa) - Hypocritical smiling (expressing grief over having been backstabbed or unfortunately/intentionally misled)

None of these will betray exclusivity.

1 Like

Re: A Database Of Traditional Igbo Names by ChinenyeN(m): 12:10am On Mar 18, 2012
Abagworo: Chiavoghilefu(Day does not break in vain) - Ngwa

Nwaehioma(Born on a good day) - Ngwa

Onyeoma(Good one) - Ngwa

Iheoma(Good thing) - Ngwa
That's not it. It's Hnoma.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Is Juju Real? / Emir Sanusi Visits His Mother With His Mercedes Benz 220S Cabriolet (Photos) / Italian Couple Perform Igbo Traditional Wedding Rites

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.