Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,318 members, 7,808,071 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:40 AM

Co-habitation - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Co-habitation (2951 Views)

Poll: Is it ok to move in with your spouse before getting married?

Yes: 11% (2 votes)
No: 76% (13 votes)
Maybe: 11% (2 votes)
This poll has ended

Advice: Marriage, Relationship, Friendship-friendzoned And Co-habitation Issues / Co Habitation Vs Dating Married Man / Co- Habitation Is It That Bad? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Co-habitation by RonniesWorld(f): 5:23pm On Mar 18, 2012
Living together with ur fiancé or fiancée before u get married! Is it good or bad? What is ur take on this sensitive topic. People try to justify with reasons why they decide to move in with their spouse before the proper marriage rites. Question is: is this right? If no, what are d dangers involved with such decisions and how does dis affect the relationship on the long run?
RONNIE'S WORLD
Re: Co-habitation by Odunnu: 6:12pm On Mar 18, 2012
Lets start with you telling us what you think about it.
Re: Co-habitation by InkedNerd(f): 6:28pm On Mar 18, 2012
I don't believe that there really is one answer for this question. It's more of an opinionated response that you'll find here on the romance section. In my opinion, I'm all for it but I think couples need to consider many pros and cons before they consider such living situations. Although I'm very open minded to the idea, its not something I can see for my doing primarily because of the fact that I like my space and I like the idea of being come and go as I please. I think having that kind of space can be essential to a relationship because you don't want to create a situation where were you're going to get tired of one another. Some pros of cohabiting with a partner would be it can offer financial benefits (for example, the pooling of incomes, and avoidance of paying higher income taxes), it's a way to test compatibility before tying the knot, if marriage is the end goal, for same-sex couples who are banned from getting married, it may be the only option, in some states and countries, cohabitation is regarded as common-law marriage if you have lived together for a certain amount of time and have a child, and depending on the couple, it can promise a more even split of the housework than that carried out by married couples. Living with the person you are dating can be difficult. When faced with habits, responsibility, and strange preferences, relationships often take a turn for the worse. The shock of poor hygiene or the extremely picky and obsessive living manners of your significant other could be a turn off. If you find that lifestyles are just not compatible the relationship may sadly end. Some people feel this is a good thing because they have the freedom to easily leave, in most cases, because there is no divorce process. They can walk away saying, "At least I didn't marry them". Some cons of cohabitation could be, you may get sick of each other--during the “honeymoon” phase of moving in together a person may feel like they're spending too much time together which can take its toll thus causing feelings of suffocation. Otherwise potentially successful relationships can self destruct if progression is forced too early. Also, you may not find out everything about the person you're with. Even though living together does demonstrate the general living habits of a partner, it cannot give you a full insight into their character if they are resistant in revealing it. Some couples can be together for many years before they feel that they have seen their partner’s true colors and marriages can break down after many decades. Therefore, it can be argued that cohabitation before marriage is pointless. For the most part, these can be the basics in terms of the pros and cons when it comes to living with someone you're dating.
Re: Co-habitation by jmoore(m): 6:28pm On Mar 18, 2012
cohabitation shows that both of them are weak in commitment. Marriage=commitment , cohabitation= non-commitment

1 Like

Re: Co-habitation by CalienteMi: 6:57pm On Mar 18, 2012
I wasn't in a hurry to move in with a man. I can afford my own bills/rent.
Re: Co-habitation by Killz3(m): 7:11pm On Mar 18, 2012
There's NOTHING good about it. . . All cons and NO pros. . .

1 Like

Re: Co-habitation by slimyem: 7:26pm On Mar 18, 2012
i frown deeply at it for many reasons and would NEVER engage in it no matter what!
Re: Co-habitation by claremont(m): 7:26pm On Mar 18, 2012
jmoore: cohabitation shows that both of them are weak in commitment. Marriage=commitment , cohabitation= non-commitment
Not necessarily! If you look at the statistics of modern marriages, you will realize that a high number of marriages do break up as compared to those that stay up. It clearly suggests that there is no correlation whatsoever between modern marriages and commitment of both parties in the marriage.

As far as I'm concerned, a relationship that will break up will still do so regardless of whether both parties cohabitate, marry, or stay single.

3 Likes

Re: Co-habitation by InkedNerd(f): 7:33pm On Mar 18, 2012
claremont:
Not necessarily! If you look at the statistics of modern marriages, you will realize that a high number of marriages do break up as compared to those that stay up. It clearly suggests that there is no correlation whatsoever between modern marriages and commitment of both parties in the marriage.

As far as I'm concerned, a relationship that will break up will still do so regardless of whether both parties cohabitate, marry, or stay single.

I'm glad you pointed that out--well said.
Re: Co-habitation by CalienteMi: 7:50pm On Mar 18, 2012
I will tell two of my friends who are cohabiting with their boyfriends for five years to keep waiting. The men will propose someday. lipsrsealed

Why buy the cow when you can get the milk free. I am with the men on that phrase.
Re: Co-habitation by Nobody: 8:24pm On Mar 18, 2012
I have a friend who cohabits with her boyfriend (not even her fiance) and both of them and I had a talk about this not too long ago.

For one thing, I am a devoted christian and cohabitation is not in alignment with the rules of the bible therefore it is not acceptable.

Another thing in when one lives with a partner before getting married, you have ABSOLUTELY nothing to look forward when you eventually get married as everything has been done already so the essence of marriage to some extent is defeated. When they get married, that spark that usually accompanies new marriages would definitely be absent since all the while they had been "married" but just formalized their union officially. I could be wrong but I think such marriages are more likely to fail than others.

Cohabitees are more likely to break up because they get bored of each other too quickly and like Caliente said, the male cohabitee would not feel the need to propose since he is getting the milk free already.
I could go on and on about the disadvantages so Cohabitation is a definite NO-NO for me.
Re: Co-habitation by Killz3(m): 8:47pm On Mar 18, 2012
naijasexy: I have a friend who cohabits with her boyfriend (not even her fiance) and both of them and I had a talk about this not too long ago.

For one thing, I am a devoted christian and cohabitation is not in alignment with the rules of the bible therefore it is not acceptable.

Another thing in when one lives with a partner before getting married, you have ABSOLUTELY nothing to look forward when you eventually get married as everything has been done already so the essence of marriage to some extent is defeated. When they get married, that spark that usually accompanies new marriages would definitely be absent since all the while they had been "married" but just formalized their union officially. I could be wrong but I think such marriages are more likely to fail than others.

Cohabitees are more likely to break up because they get bored of each other too quickly and like Caliente said, the male cohabitee would not feel the need to propose since he is getting the milk free already.
I could go on and on about the disadvantages so Cohabitation is a definite NO-NO for me.
100 points. . .
Re: Co-habitation by 4teelaw(f): 9:35pm On Mar 18, 2012
I cohabited with my husband for 1year before we got married, although we have been really great friends for almost half my life...

It starts by spending the nights, then spending the weekends, then you realise you don't go home anymore. Next thing you guys are splitting the bills, next thing everyone thinks you are married, then you start referring to her as your wife, then she can't spend the nights out, she can't even go home anymore because her home is with you... its not like people go all out to cohabit, it just happens,and when the time comes, you decide to formally get married, so that she can change her name.

That's if it works out sha. if you cohabit and break up it is better than get married and divorced.

It has its pros and cons. I am having it easier in marriage now because we had all the 'marital' hiccups that 1st year, and we stuck together. Since we got married over 2yrs now, we hardly quarrel because I already know him inside out he does likewise. I don't find faults cos I know those faults and I have adapted to them and vice versa.I guess we were just lucky sha especially because we were friends for so long!

I will advise, if you are not matured enough to marry, mentally physically, emotionally and all that, don't cohabit! It will just ruin it for you, and I think its men that take advantage of cohabiting, marriage favors the woman, but I hope we know when you have cohaibtied for over 2yrs, you have become 'common law husband and wife' and will need a customary court when you break up and need to split stuff!it is also accepted abroad as 'defacto relationship' when you have proof you have lived together for that long (eg nepa bill, bank papers) etc

1 Like

Re: Co-habitation by slimyem: 10:05pm On Mar 18, 2012
back in school,i had a girlfriend who co-habited with her bf in school for 3 yrs.of course,we(her friends) frowned at it a lot but we could do nothing about it.
They've been married for 2 yrs now and with a kid too and they are doing fine.
Bottomline is..it works for some...and doesnt for some.its all a gamble and you never really can tell!

2 Likes

Re: Co-habitation by Killz3(m): 10:26pm On Mar 18, 2012
4teelaw: I cohabited with my husband for 1year before we got married, although we have been really great friends for almost half my life...

It starts by spending the nights, then spending the weekends, then you realise you don't go home anymore. Next thing you guys are splitting the bills, next thing everyone thinks you are married, then you start referring to her as your wife, then she can't spend the nights out, she can't even go home anymore because her home is with you... its not like people go all out to cohabit, it just happens,and when the time comes, you decide to formally get married, so that she can change her name.

That's if it works out sha. if you cohabit and break up it is better than get married and divorced.

It has its pros and cons. I am having it easier in marriage now because we had all the 'marital' hiccups that 1st year, and we stuck together. Since we got married over 2yrs now, we hardly quarrel because I already know him inside out he does likewise. I don't find faults cos I know those faults and I have adapted to them and vice versa.I guess we were just lucky sha especially because we were friends for so long!

I will advise, if you are not matured enough to marry, mentally physically, emotionally and all that, don't cohabit! It will just ruin it for you, and I think its men that take advantage of cohabiting, marriage favors the woman, but I hope we know when you have cohaibtied for over 2yrs, you have become 'common law husband and wife' and will need a customary court when you break up and need to split stuff!it is also accepted abroad as 'defacto relationship' when you have proof you have lived together for that long (eg nepa bill, bank papers) etc
What's the emotional difference between breaking up and divorce?
Was it in the sole year you spent with him that you go to know him?
If you are matured enough to cohabit, why not get married?
The first year of co-habitation can be likened to the first year of marriage, true or false?
Is there any justification for co-habiting?
Co-habiting is selfish, it's demeaning and is an insult. A man does not consider you worthy enough to marry you outright, and you think that's cool?
Did you adapt to those faults in one year?
Did you date him prior to co habiting with him?
If you dated him prior to cohabiting, why did you need an extra year? What was the point of the extra year?
Do you really value marriage by cohabiting?
How would you have felt if you had been at the receiving end of a boot, asking you to get lost after cohabiting?
Did you know that marriages from co-habitation have a greater chance of crumbling?
Do you know, that the same attitude you had towards co-habitation, a carefree attitude, is the same attitude you have towards your marriage?

That cohabitation worked for you doesn't mean Nada! All excuses given in support of co habitation, and all the energy spent on striving to make co-habitation work could have been channeled to making your marriage work out. . . In the end, there really is no excuse for cohabiting. It's just another avenue to live immorally and illegally together. Unless you are a quintessential hypocrite, i see no reason why a Christian should accept cohabitation to the extent of supporting and recommending it to others. . .
Re: Co-habitation by CalienteMi: 10:32pm On Mar 18, 2012
If you can "play house", you can get married. Simple.
Re: Co-habitation by CalienteMi: 10:49pm On Mar 18, 2012
~Killz~:

The first year of co-habitation can be likened to the first year of marriage, true or false?
Co-habiting is selfish, it's demeaning and is an insult. A man does not consider you worthy enough to marry you outright, and you think that's cool?
If you dated him prior to cohabiting, why did you need an extra year? What was the point of the extra year?
How would you have felt if you had been at the receiving end of a boot, asking you to get lost after cohabiting?
Did you know that marriages from co-habitation have a greater chance of crumbling?
Do you know, that the same attitude you had towards co-habitation, a carefree attitude, is the same attitude you have towards your marriage?

That cohabitation worked for you doesn't mean Nada! All excuses given in support of co habitation, and all the energy spent on striving to make co-habitation work could have been channeled to making your marriage work out. . . In the end, there really is no excuse for cohabiting. It's just another avenue to live immorally and illegally together. Unless you are a quintessential hypocrite, i see no reason why a Christian should accept cohabitation to the extent of supporting and recommending it to others. . .

"Playing house for some people" is like test driving the product. It is their way of making sure they are compatible in all areas. However, some people "play house" to survive homelessness or to save money. There are other factors that people should keep in mind, if your name isn't on the deed/lease then you have no legal recourse against real estate violations or if the relationship doesn't work out there is no legal division of property.

Legal marriage may not be a priority to some, but if they are "playing house", it is illegal marriage. What is the point of "playing house" and why do some people need five or 10 years to "test drive"? It would have been different if there is no intention of marriage, but what happens if the partner dies and next of kin takes everything? Even wills can be contested by next of kins.

It is true there is no guarantees in marriages nor relationships, but when children are involve, gambling with their securities is selfish.
Re: Co-habitation by 4teelaw(f): 12:45am On Mar 19, 2012
~Killz~:

Well, you are entitled to your own opinion. Like I said, no one wakes up to say I want to cohabit, sometimes it is circumstantial, like in the analogy I gave. People are different, I do not reccommend cohabiting because it almost doesn't alwayz work but I can tell you a number of people it worked for and those it didn't work for. If we had split, then it is part of life. We value our marriage, more than ever. Our relationship even got better after marriage. I won't judge anybody who is cohabiting. I will only advise them to legalize it. If you can live with a woman for 6mths, then I guess you can marry her.

But most men are selfish and wicked. Looking at it from your point of view killz, if you are without sin cast the first stone. If you can condemn cohabiting, please condemn premarital sex, since you brought christianity into this matter, I can bet you are as guilty by your sexual escapades, at least the cohabiting man tries to be monogamous, single men can decide to slp with a dozen girls.

What is wrong is wrong! Premarital sex and cohabiting are in the same category.
Re: Co-habitation by InkedNerd(f): 2:33am On Mar 19, 2012
CalienteMi:

"Playing house for some people" is like test driving the product. It is their way of making sure they are compatible in all areas. However, some people "play house" to survive homelessness or to save money. There are other factors that people should keep in mind, if your name isn't on the deed/lease then you have no legal recourse against real estate violations or if the relationship doesn't work out there is no legal division of property.

Legal marriage may not be a priority to some, but if they are "playing house", it is illegal marriage. What is the point of "playing house" and why do some people need five or 10 years to "test drive"? It would have been different if there is no intention of marriage, but what happens if the partner dies and next of kin takes everything? Even wills can be contested by next of kins.

It is true there is no guarantees in marriages nor relationships, but when children are involve, gambling with their securities is selfish.

Your question as to what happens to if a partner dies or there are legal matter pertaining to a will, that is more of a reason for people to understand that such decisions are not for the immature. Like I pointed out earlier, common law relationships are an option. I had a teacher in high school who was not able to marry her partner of over 20 years due to the fact that her and her partner were lesbians. Though she never specifically said she was a lesbian, it was always common knowledge that she was a lesbian and that she had a partner. While talking to her one day in school, I recall discussing common law living arrangements with her when it came to couples. She pointed out to me and stressed the importance of equipping yourself with knowledge pertaining to common law living arranges in person's place of residence because knowledge of common law information can help people in situations that may arise. She also pointed out that family members should be fully informed of important legal matters pertaining to next of kin situations and power power of attorney [for countries with power of attorney] need to pass a strict legal definition before they are considered legit.

4teelaw:

Well, you are entitled to your own opinion. Like I said, no one wakes up to say I want to cohabit, sometimes it is circumstantial, like in the analogy I gave. People are different, I do not reccommend cohabiting because it almost doesn't alwayz work but I can tell you a number of people it worked for and those it didn't work for. If we had split, then it is part of life. We value our marriage, more than ever. Our relationship even got better after marriage. I won't judge anybody who is cohabiting. I will only advise them to legalize it. If you can live with a woman for 6mths, then I guess you can marry her.

But most men are selfish and wicked. Looking at it from your point of view killz, if you are without sin cast the first stone. If you can condemn cohabiting, please condemn premarital sex, since you brought christianity into this matter, I can bet you are as guilty by your sexual escapades, at least the cohabiting man tries to be monogamous, single men can decide to slp with a dozen girls.

Of course he is with sin, just as any other human being. Do you truly expect him as the self righteous Bible thumping person that he is to truly be without sin? One thing for sure about ~Killz~, is that he will always use Christianity as a means of justifying such matters. I'm not saying that all aspects of Christianity is bad but don't ever be surprised that that is what he does.
Re: Co-habitation by Killz3(m): 8:12am On Mar 19, 2012
4teelaw:

Listen up lady! I was born a sinner, and i remain a sinner so that cast the first stone bullshit doesn't cut it with me. There is a difference between intentionally sinning and unintentionally sinning. If you know something is wrong, and yet you go ahead and do it, that is intentional sin. God your creator knows that you are a sinner, and yet he gave you laws as regards immorality. Did he not know you were a sinner? Will you say because Mr a is a sinner, so that gives you liberty to sin? Would you rather add to your congenital sin, or would you try to reduce it to the barest minimum? When sinners are to be judged, would they be judged based on thin air, or according to their deeds? Now, what kind of deeds?
Have you ever seen me supporting pre marital sex? It is wrong as well. If you 4teelaw believe that premarital sex is a sin, why did you engage in it? Why did you cohabit and still ask others to follow through? If you are a christian and you read about these sins in your holy book the bible, and yet you still do them, are you not a hypocrite?
Would you willingly commit a sin, simply because your friend did? Cast the first stone you say. . . Who was the stone about to be cast at? Was it not a repentant prostitute? If you insist on cohabiting, does that look like repentance? Your excuse for sinning is that other people sin, right? SMH! How about you live by the standards set out in the scriptures if you are a christian? In your bible, you have do's and don'ts. Would you prefer the don'ts over the do's? Because of the "Cast the first stone line of defence?"
If you really do not recommend cohabiting, why would you ask someone to live with a woman for six months? What if after the six months and he supposedly finds someone better than her? He should selfishly dump her arse? The human heart is treacherous, and cannot be trusted.

Pls do not look at me as if i am judging you or anyone. That scenario can be completely avoided. If you had not cohabited, would there be a basis to judge you? All sinners would be judged according to their deeds. You yourself said that premarital sex and cohabiting are sins in the same category, did you not judge yourself when you made that statement? I'll rather advise against cohabiting, than advise anyone to cohabit. There is a difference between asking someone to legalize cohabitation, and asking them NOT to cohabit at all. If they would later legalize it, what is the original point of cohabitation? You are living as married couples without being actually married, what is it you are waiting for? The qualities you saw in him or vice versa, before you agreed on cohabiting, was it not enough to marry him/her without wasting time cohabiting and being hypocrites? If you love someone enough to cohabit, you love him enough to marry him.
There are a lot of confused young people out there, i would rather advise them NOT to cohabit, than make themselves emotional wrecks after six months and the guy doesn't find then good enough.

Would you say your relationship got better because you cohabited? Be honest enough to give that answer, cos you earlier said you had known him almost half of your life. So, was it the cohabitation that's keeping you guys strong?
Re: Co-habitation by Killz3(m): 8:22am On Mar 19, 2012
Stay the hell away from cohabitation! It's demeaning, It's degrading, It's selfish, It's an insult,It's a gamble, a premeditated risk. If he truly loves you, he'll NEVER ask to cohabit with you first. He doesn't love you enough, so he wants to see if he can be forced to love you by cohabiting with you. If you do not meet up his selfish expectations, he dumps you!!! Even if you did nothing wrong. He kicks you out, leaving you heart broken and emotionally devastated. Why would you walk into a relationship where your interests are not taken into consideration? No one is perfect. Why would he expect you to be perfect before he marries you?. . .

Think about it from that aspect. Cohabitation is just a bloody waste of precious time. . . The time you'll use in meeting more people would be tied down with a man who is not sure of marrying you. WTF!
Re: Co-habitation by Killz3(m): 8:35am On Mar 19, 2012
Inked_Nerd:

Of course he is with sin, just as any other human being. Do you truly expect him as the self righteous Bible thumping person that he is to truly be without sin? One thing for sure about ~Killz~, is that he will always use Christianity as a means of justifying such matters. I'm not saying that all aspects of Christianity is bad but don't ever be surprised that that is what he does.
There's no need calling me self righteous. If a christian cannot use christianity to defend such matters, what should he use? Atheism? If you don't believe in christianity, don't bother fighting those who use it to defend matters.

If you are an Atheist and you do not believe in God, nor the Bible, that's excusable. An athiest has NO RIGHTS to tell a christian how to defend matters with the bible or not. An atheist has NO RIGHT to call a christian Bible thumping and self righteous. If you do not know me, you do not know what i do. I commented based on who she said she is, so why don't you reply me based on who i am? Must you make up scenarios about me to make your point? If she is not a christian that's a different ball game. . .
There are 2 things i really dislike:
A Hypocritical christian
An Atheist that tells christians what to do. . .
Re: Co-habitation by Killz3(m): 8:44am On Mar 19, 2012
CalienteMi:
Very true. There are no guarantees. But marriage is safer. Go into marriage feeling secure, rather than go into cohabitation feeling insecure. . . And then USED after your arse is kicked to the curb! It's not rocket science.
Re: Co-habitation by Nobody: 8:59am On Mar 19, 2012
~Killz~:

There's no need calling me self righteous. If a christian cannot use christianity to defend such matters, what should he use? Atheism? If you don't believe in christianity, don't bother fighting those who use it to defend matters.

If you are an Atheist and you do not believe in God, nor the Bible, that's excusable. An athiest has NO RIGHTS to tell a christian how to defend matters with the bible or not. An atheist has NO RIGHT to call a christian Bible thumping and self righteous. If you do not know me, you do not know what i do. I commented based on who she said she is, so why don't you reply me based on who i am? Must you make up scenarios about me to make your point? If she is not a christian that's a different ball game. . .
There are 2 things i really dislike:
A Hypocritical christian
An Atheist that tells christians what to do. . .

I see you are slugging it out this morning , good to see the old sexkillz is back
Re: Co-habitation by Nobody: 9:08am On Mar 19, 2012
~Killz~:

Very true. There are no guarantees. But marriage is safer. Go into marriage feeling secure, rather than go into cohabitation feeling insecure. . . And then USED after your arse is kicked to the curb! It's not rocket science.

Marriage isn't more secure than cohabitation , yeah the commitment is more but it isn't more secure. The point others are trying to say though is living with someone will give you more insight to a persons true nature and whether or not you can condone him/her rather than just meeting at regular intervals , this gives the option of bailing out before you take that final step if you both feel you have compatibility issues. I'm not for or against cohabiting but if you feel you can handle it then go for it.
Re: Co-habitation by Killz3(m): 9:10am On Mar 19, 2012
apocalypse:

I see you are slugging it out this morning , good to see the old sexkillz is back
Hey. cheesy
Re: Co-habitation by Killz3(m): 9:12am On Mar 19, 2012
apocalypse:

Marriage isn't more secure than cohabitation , yeah the commitment is more but it isn't more secure. The point others are trying to say though is living with someone will give you more insight to a persons true nature and whether or not you can condone him/her rather than just meeting at regular intervals , this gives the option of bailing out before you take that final step if you both feel you have compatibility issues. I'm not for or against cohabiting but if you feel you can handle it then go for it.
The commitment makes it more secure. . . wink

Living with someone doesn't give you any additional insight apart from the insight you had before you decided you want to cohabit with them. You cannot walk up to a stranger and ask for cohabitation now, can you?
That is the essence of dating and courtship. You can also bail out without living with them first, or can't you?
Out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaks. What different actions can you defend as compatibility issues apart from sex? It's all about the sex[i]u[/i]al compatibility, innit? That's pure undiluted bullshit! cheesy

1 Like

Re: Co-habitation by 4teelaw(f): 9:52am On Mar 19, 2012
~Killz~:

Listen up lady! I was born a sinner, and i remain a sinner so that cast the first stone bullshit doesn't cut it with me. There is a difference between intentionally sinning and unintentionally sinning. If you know something is wrong, and yet you go ahead and do it, that is intentional sin. God your creator knows that you are a sinner, and yet he gave you laws as regards immorality. Did he not know you were a sinner? Will you say because Mr a is a sinner, so that gives you liberty to sin? Would you rather add to your congenital sin, or would you try to reduce it to the barest minimum? When sinners are to be judged, would they be judged based on thin air, or according to their deeds? Now, what kind of deeds?
Have you ever seen me supporting pre marital sex? It is wrong as well. If you 4teelaw believe that premarital sex is a sin, why did you engage in it? Why did you cohabit and still ask others to follow through? If you are a christian and you read about these sins in your holy book the bible, and yet you still do them, are you not a hypocrite?
Would you willingly commit a sin, simply because your friend did? Cast the first stone you say. . . Who was the stone about to be cast at? Was it not a repentant prostitute? If you insist on cohabiting, does that look like repentance? Your excuse for sinning is that other people sin, right? SMH! How about you live by the standards set out in the scriptures if you are a christian? In your bible, you have do's and don'ts. Would you prefer the don'ts over the do's? Because of the "Cast the first stone line of defence?"
If you really do not recommend cohabiting, why would you ask someone to live with a woman for six months? What if after the six months and he supposedly finds someone better than her? He should selfishly dump her arse? The human heart is treacherous, and cannot be trusted.

Pls do not look at me as if i am judging you or anyone. That scenario can be completely avoided. If you had not cohabited, would there be a basis to judge you? All sinners would be judged according to their deeds. You yourself said that premarital sex and cohabiting are sins in the same category, did you not judge yourself when you made that statement? I'll rather advise against cohabiting, than advise anyone to cohabit. There is a difference between asking someone to legalize cohabitation, and asking them NOT to cohabit at all. If they would later legalize it, what is the original point of cohabitation? You are living as married couples without being actually married, what is it you are waiting for? The qualities you saw in him or vice versa, before you agreed on cohabiting, was it not enough to marry him/her without wasting time cohabiting and being hypocrites? If you love someone enough to cohabit, you love him enough to marry him.
There are a lot of confused young people out there, i would rather advise them NOT to cohabit, than make themselves emotional wrecks after six months and the guy doesn't find then good enough.

Would you say your relationship got better because you cohabited? Be honest enough to give that answer, cos you earlier said you had known him almost half of your life. So, was it the cohabitation that's keeping you guys strong?

Okay, all you say is correct, no one should be encouraged to cohabit, especially for all the young confused people out there. Its selfish and demeaning, and a sin. Agreed!

Happy now?
I did a random poll of people I know that cohabited, and they are all happily married now, for donkey years for that matter!

Just for the records, are you married?
Re: Co-habitation by Nobody: 9:53am On Mar 19, 2012
Sexkillz keep your melodrama at the door, we ain't buying all that bullshit you posted up above. If you rather just Bleep your girlfriend than live with her no problemo. What I don't understand is why I should forcefully subscribe to your personal principles.
Re: Co-habitation by Nobody: 9:58am On Mar 19, 2012
@4TeeLaw, no Sexkillz is not married. He just formed his opinions from various M&B/Harlequin series and the modern day litany of relationship literature. As for real life, real situation dynamic relationships he wouldn't be among the top 100 000 people to give sound relationship advice on nairaland.
Re: Co-habitation by Killz3(m): 9:59am On Mar 19, 2012
4teelaw:

Okay, all you say is correct, no one should be encouraged to cohabit, especially for all the young confused people out there. Its selfish and demeaning, and a sin. Agreed!

Happy now?
I did a random poll of people I know that cohabited, and they are all happily married now, for donkey years for that matter!

Just for the records, are you married?
I also did a poll on people i know that did not cohabit, and they are happily married as well. There was no need for cohabitation. . .

Happy about what? Happy i defended what i believed and you could not defend yours? Smh!
Re: Co-habitation by 4teelaw(f): 9:59am On Mar 19, 2012
apocalypse:

You seem more matured that Mr.Killz, even though he has a point, his aggression makes him seem very myopic, cannot seEe beyond his limited scope.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Steps To Overcoming Low Self Esteem / My Ex Is Pregnant For A Random Guy And I Am So Happy! / In Desperate Need For Wisdoms Of People Who Moved On From Infidelity.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.