Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,415 members, 7,808,481 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:36 PM

States, Lgs Get Authorization To Generate And Distribute Electricity - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / States, Lgs Get Authorization To Generate And Distribute Electricity (3317 Views)

Poll: Which governor do you think will be the 1st to achieve uninterrupted power supply to his state?

Niger state: 5% (3 votes)
Kaduna state: 1% (1 vote)
Lagos state: 42% (24 votes)
Rivers: 41% (23 votes)
Imo state: 8% (5 votes)
This poll has ended

Dwindling Revenue: FG, States, Lgs Share N422.6bn August Allocation / Nigeria In Deep Economic Trouble: “FG, States, LGs Share N518.5bn For June” / INEC Releases Presidential Results From 10 LGs In Ogun State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

States, Lgs Get Authorization To Generate And Distribute Electricity by josiahriches(m): 8:52am On Mar 19, 2012
The Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC) has authorized local governments and communities the ability to generate and distribute their own electricity.

NERC recently issued two regulations entitled “NERC Regulation on Embedded Generation 2012,” and “NERC Regulation for Independent Electricity Distribution.”

The Embedded Generation regulation authorizes investors, communities, states and local governments to generate and distribute electricity for their exclusive consumption using facilities of existing electricity distribution companies or independent electricity distribution network operators, whilst the Independent Electricity Distribution regulation permits communities, local and state governments to invest in electricity distribution networks in areas without access to the grid or distribution network or areas poorly serviced.

The regulations empower States with electricity generation infrastructure to distribute electricity to their citizens. They also empower local governments and communities to partner with investors or look inwards in developing power solutions in order to provide their citizens with electricity.

The Chairman of NERC, Dr. Sam Amadi speaking on the development said, “These are the most important regulations today in this country because we do not have enough electricity to go round. We also have so many constraints preventing us from having enough to generate, transmit and distribute.

“From now on, the much expected expansion in the electricity supply to the end- users would be easily realisable. With these regulations, we have further unlocked the opportunities in the sector to community, private and government participations. The laws are expected to revolutionise the sector

http://businessnews.com.ng/2012/03/19/states-lgs-get-authorization-to-generate-and-distribute-electricity/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=states-lgs-get-authorization-to-generate-and-distribute-electricity
Re: States, Lgs Get Authorization To Generate And Distribute Electricity by josiahriches(m): 8:59am On Mar 19, 2012
Which state governor or LG chairman will be the 1st to distinguish his state or LGA by providing unterrupted power supply to his people for just 1month?
Re: States, Lgs Get Authorization To Generate And Distribute Electricity by josiahriches(m): 9:01am On Mar 19, 2012
The qualifiers have started, let's see the 1st state or LGA that ll lead the mark.
josiahriches: Which state governor or LG chairman will be the 1st to distinguish his state or LGA by providing unterrupted power supply to his people for just 1month?

1 Like

Re: States, Lgs Get Authorization To Generate And Distribute Electricity by Korrection(m): 9:21am On Mar 19, 2012
Okorocha..then Fashola followed by Oshiomhole
Re: States, Lgs Get Authorization To Generate And Distribute Electricity by Iolo(m): 9:22am On Mar 19, 2012
Lagos and Rivers States have a lot to do to meert demand. A state like Niger or say Ekiti could have uninterrupted power with a single 100MW power plant but this isn't the case for the more populated states. Lagos on its own requires atleast 5kMW.
Re: States, Lgs Get Authorization To Generate And Distribute Electricity by Callotti: 9:30am On Mar 19, 2012
This will be great!
Yaaaaaay!!!
I can now move back to Nigeria. . . . In my dreams!!!! cool

I vote Kaduna!
You dare not cut any one's power supply in that area o! Dem go cut off your arzzzze! cheesy
Re: States, Lgs Get Authorization To Generate And Distribute Electricity by Nobody: 9:42am On Mar 19, 2012
It's still gonna take majority of the states a lot of time, cuz dis is an budgeted expense, and it requires a blueprint to work on. But i feel that lagos has a better chance cuz some years ago Tinubu imported a plant in other to make lagos generate its own power, but was abolished by the federal govt....
Re: States, Lgs Get Authorization To Generate And Distribute Electricity by Okijajuju1(m): 9:57am On Mar 19, 2012
The Niger Delta States are already in the Lead with Rivers State taking pole-position with 3- Gas turbines already on ground and the Afam Phase-two project on the way (due for completion in 2013). . .

https://www.nairaland.com/895645/rivers-get-24-hour-power-supply
Re: States, Lgs Get Authorization To Generate And Distribute Electricity by ROCKJ1(m): 10:09am On Mar 19, 2012
This is very good news.
Re: States, Lgs Get Authorization To Generate And Distribute Electricity by maclatunji: 10:50am On Mar 19, 2012
WooooooooooooooooooHooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! Just what I have been waiting for! Yiha! Yah hoo!
Re: States, Lgs Get Authorization To Generate And Distribute Electricity by Beaf1: 10:51am On Mar 19, 2012
For the past two years i have been generating 24hr electricity in my house using solar energy/inverters. I gave out 2 (energy saving) bulbs to one Aboki trader outside my compound (distribution) cheesy

Kini big deal

1 Like

Re: States, Lgs Get Authorization To Generate And Distribute Electricity by abey2(m): 10:58am On Mar 19, 2012
Funny how NL stylishly applaud this effort without saying a word about GEJ Were it to be a negative stuff now,all u would be reading would hv been jona this and that..funny peps
Re: States, Lgs Get Authorization To Generate And Distribute Electricity by 4llerbuntu(m): 11:19am On Mar 19, 2012
Ogbeni sharrap ur gob.

Ignoramus, was it gej that initiated the power roadmap? Do u even realise that all this stuff are planned and are being implemented devoid of any input from Jonathan?
I guess u have been asleep since 2003

Is this not what we have been telling the mumu to replicate with oil/fuel subsides. Put in place a plan backed by legislation. Work with order and sense.

With the hikes in power costs and now this opening up, this will be a very profitable venture for people with funds
Re: States, Lgs Get Authorization To Generate And Distribute Electricity by Kobojunkie: 1:16pm On Mar 19, 2012
at long last!
Re: States, Lgs Get Authorization To Generate And Distribute Electricity by akinmax: 1:57pm On Mar 19, 2012
good move! for the first time is like this adminstration has woken up to think way forward.
Re: States, Lgs Get Authorization To Generate And Distribute Electricity by blacksta(m): 3:09pm On Mar 19, 2012
Best News to come out of Nigeria but on the negative side, we still have a long way to go. Build power stations, distribution, metering and rest of the bobs. I expect another 5 years before seeing anything.
Re: States, Lgs Get Authorization To Generate And Distribute Electricity by Kobojunkie: 3:15pm On Mar 19, 2012
blacksta: Best News to come out of Nigeria but on the negative side, we still have a long way to go. Build power stations, distribution, metering and rest of the bobs. I expect another 5 years before seeing anything.

I thought the very same yesterday evening.
Re: States, Lgs Get Authorization To Generate And Distribute Electricity by blacksta(m): 3:21pm On Mar 19, 2012
Kobojunkie:

I thought the very same yesterday evening.

Things are relatively slow in Nigeria , If takes years to build a few KM road , how long will it take to build power stations inclusive of distribution networks, metering, I am not sure new companies would be allowed to use the existing networks.

Let wait for the document for more info.
Re: States, Lgs Get Authorization To Generate And Distribute Electricity by dmainboss: 3:22pm On Mar 19, 2012
4llerbuntu: Ogbeni sharrap ur gob.

Ignoramus, was it gej that initiated the power roadmap? Do u even realise that all this stuff are planned and are being implemented devoid of any input from Jonathan?

Is this not what we have been telling the mumu to replicate with oil/fuel subsides. Put in place a plan backed by legislation. Work with order and sense.

With the hikes in power costs and now this opening up, this will be a very profitable venture for people with funds

Behold a real I.DI.OT! But you have been slating him since last year for the poor power situation abi? Now there is some progress, it is no longer down to him abi? You are a real example of the hypocritical nature of the average Nigerian and with f00ls like you, development is going to be difficult in this country!
Re: States, Lgs Get Authorization To Generate And Distribute Electricity by OAM4J: 3:31pm On Mar 19, 2012
Finally! Good one!
Re: States, Lgs Get Authorization To Generate And Distribute Electricity by coolted(m): 4:20pm On Mar 19, 2012
josiahriches: The Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC) has authorized local governments and communities the ability to generate and distribute their own electricity.

NERC recently issued two regulations entitled “NERC Regulation on Embedded Generation 2012,” and “NERC Regulation for Independent Electricity Distribution.”

The Embedded Generation regulation authorizes investors, communities, states and local governments to generate and distribute electricity for their exclusive consumption using facilities of existing electricity distribution companies or independent electricity distribution network operators, whilst the Independent Electricity Distribution regulation permits communities, local and state governments to invest in electricity distribution networks in areas without access to the grid or distribution network or areas poorly serviced.

The regulations empower States with electricity generation infrastructure to distribute electricity to their citizens. They also empower local governments and communities to partner with investors or look inwards in developing power solutions in order to provide their citizens with electricity.

The Chairman of NERC, Dr. Sam Amadi speaking on the development said, “These are the most important regulations today in this country because we do not have enough electricity to go round. We also have so many constraints preventing us from having enough to generate, transmit and distribute.

“From now on, the much expected expansion in the electricity supply to the end- users would be easily realisable. With these regulations, we have further unlocked the opportunities in the sector to community, private and government participations. The laws are expected to revolutionise the sector

http://businessnews.com.ng/2012/03/19/states-lgs-get-authorization-to-generate-and-distribute-electricity/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=states-lgs-get-authorization-to-generate-and-distribute-electricity

is this an end to black out?
Re: States, Lgs Get Authorization To Generate And Distribute Electricity by Nobody: 4:26pm On Mar 19, 2012
idea after project! Akwa ibom already has an independent power plant!
Re: States, Lgs Get Authorization To Generate And Distribute Electricity by Pa22(m): 5:02pm On Mar 19, 2012
Good move!
Re: States, Lgs Get Authorization To Generate And Distribute Electricity by adewalestroyco: 6:46pm On Mar 19, 2012
good move.
Re: States, Lgs Get Authorization To Generate And Distribute Electricity by Okijajuju1(m): 8:56am On Mar 22, 2012
4llerbuntu: Ogbeni sharrap ur gob.

You are a classic example of a slowpoke!!

SO no light, Jona's fault, progress achieved in the Power sector you attribute it to 2003. Yet you have nothing nice to say about Obasanjo's administration to which you are attributing this achievement to!

Bros abeg go house, you have spent too much time in the cyber cafe. . .

Give praises where praises are due!!

Fresh Air 2012!! In Joe we trust!
Re: States, Lgs Get Authorization To Generate And Distribute Electricity by Ovamboland(m): 5:24pm On Mar 27, 2012
josiahriches: The Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC) has authorized local governments and communities the ability to generate and distribute their own electricity.

Where is the enabling law? Has the subsisting power law been repealed or is this just a proposal? When was the amendment debated in the Senate,and House of Rep.? When was the amended law passed? When did GEJ sign it into law? From which law is NERC drawing the power to issue this kind of sweeping statements?

These are the questions we need to ask before jumping like Orangutan's .
Mind you no investor will commit money neither will any financial institution of repute finance any project without appropriate and clear cut legislation
Re: States, Lgs Get Authorization To Generate And Distribute Electricity by Nobody: 5:51pm On Mar 27, 2012
Its a welcomed news. I will relocate to any state that achieves 24/7 electricity. Thats a promise I can keep. And I am willing to invest and employ only citizens of that state. That my friend, is a promise I cant keep.
Re: States, Lgs Get Authorization To Generate And Distribute Electricity by Nobody: 6:52pm On Mar 27, 2012
Good move.now we have started practicing resource control/true federalism in the power sector,can we also start resource control/true federalism in all other sectors including health,education,solid minerals,oil and gas.I cant wait. Niger state will be swiming in cash.Good.Now we can use some of our oyel money to price electricity from niger state pending when our own power stations in the south are ready.The beauty of true federalism.
Re: States, Lgs Get Authorization To Generate And Distribute Electricity by lawani: 7:17pm On Feb 23, 2019
This is a good idea but seven years down the line and no implementation

(1) (Reply)

#NigeriansboycottDSTV / Hotel Biafra / He Slapped Her Ass (BOMBOM) In Her Boyfriend's Presence

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.