Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,712 members, 7,805,935 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:43 AM

Cashless System In Nigeria: Are We Ready For The Down Side? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Cashless System In Nigeria: Are We Ready For The Down Side? (8402 Views)

Banks In Nigeria Are Healthy-NDIC / Cashless Nigeria Business, Is It Real? / Withdrawal Problem In Cashless Nigeria Business (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cashless System In Nigeria: Are We Ready For The Down Side? by oraclefemi(m): 7:47pm On Mar 19, 2012
Sanusi is screaming and shoving cashless policy down our throats and I have a few issues that I want to raise and also want it to be scrutinized from different angles:

I can tell you that a lot of money will be lost, I don't need to go down the lane of ATM thefts where the bank will tell you all sorts and in the end you get frustrated and you dont get your money back,in a situation where you were in Abuja and your atm was used in Epe Lagos , so is it this same banks that we will go and report online thefts to??

Come on dont get deceived that it is 100 percent safe ...every system has a weakness or every system has a loop hole and hackers are always working and looking for the loop holes, i have seen a hacker tell me my yahoo messenger password while we were chatting , this was way back in 2004 and the dude was from Romania and come on lets be honest are we going to trust interswitch all the time? they've got Nigerians working for them there right? an average Nigerian that is criminally minded ! All those passwords and codes can be very tempting when you see millions hehehe

ok jokes apart i have been on my seat and seen thousands of credit cards information from americans and british with loads of money in it including their social security numbers , phone numbers and home address , these informations are sold on hacker websites even though mastercard and visa keep claiming their card and systems are safe ..bullshyte ! EVEN paypal information can be bought easily online if you have the right links, ok lets say insurance companies pay back such thefts to americans and the rest but can they pay us back in Nigeria??

i am in support of cashless policy or whatever and other alternative means of payment but a lot of harsh lessons will be learnt and a lot of money lost and business wrecked when this stuff kicks off !!! Nigerians are we ready? ok let me scare you a bit, a software can be stored on your system that stores all your activities and sends it to a guy somewhere who withdraws your moneyy !!! OP YOU CAN MAKE THIS FRONT PAGE SO OTHERS CAN LEARN A LESSON OR TWO
Re: Cashless System In Nigeria: Are We Ready For The Down Side? by Tombolikwo(m): 2:29am On Mar 20, 2012
oraclefemi: Sanusi is screaming and shoving cashless policy down our throats and I have a few issues that I want to raise and also want it to be scrutinized from different angles:
I dont know how my guys in Ariara Mkt in ABA or Alaba international market ,to mention just a few will cope especially since we r used to the cash and carry way of doing business.I hope there was enough public education and or campaign before implementation. Bye Bye....to the sight of big Ghana -must-Go- bags filled with Mula.Why this policy sef. Why fix what is not broken! a beg!
I can tell you that a lot of money will be lost, I don't need to go down the lane of ATM thefts where the bank will tell you all sorts and in the end you get frustrated and you dont get your money back,in a situation where you were in Abuja and your atm was used in Epe Lagos , so is it this same banks that we will go and report online thefts to??

Come on dont get deceived that it is 100 percent safe ...every system has a weakness or every system has a loop hole and hackers are always working and looking for the loop holes, i have seen a hacker tell me my yahoo messenger password while we were chatting , this was way back in 2004 and the dude was from Romania and come on lets be honest are we going to trust interswitch all the time? they've got Nigerians working for them there right? an average Nigerian that is criminally minded ! All those passwords and codes can be very tempting when you see millions hehehe

ok jokes apart i have been on my seat and seen thousands of credit cards information from americans and british with loads of money in it including their social security numbers , phone numbers and home address , these informations are sold on hacker websites even though mastercard and visa keep claiming their card and systems are safe ..bullshyte ! EVEN paypal information can be bought easily online if you have the right links, ok lets say insurance companies pay back such thefts to americans and the rest but can they pay us back in Nigeria??

i am in support of cashless policy or whatever and other alternative means of payment but a lot of harsh lessons will be learnt and a lot of money lost and business wrecked when this stuff kicks off !!! Nigerians are we ready? ok let me scare you a bit, a software can be stored on your system that stores all your activities and sends it to a guy somewhere who withdraws your moneyy !!! OP YOU CAN MAKE THIS FRONT PAGE SO OTHERS CAN LEARN A LESSON OR TWO
Re: Cashless System In Nigeria: Are We Ready For The Down Side? by ZUBY77(m): 2:39am On Mar 20, 2012
We can not bury our heads in the sand forever. One cannot treck from lagos to Enugu because planes can crash or cars can tumble. We will learn to deal with it as we learnt to stick with the new nairaland.

3 Likes

Re: Cashless System In Nigeria: Are We Ready For The Down Side? by jmaine: 2:46am On Mar 20, 2012
[size=18pt]You don't refuse to eat food because of the possibility of choking . . .Let's give it a shot and see how far we fare[/size]
Re: Cashless System In Nigeria: Are We Ready For The Down Side? by ChuckBoi93(m): 2:58am On Mar 20, 2012
Cashless economy is going to do more harm than good in Nigeria. There are talks about the new banking policy improving our country's economy but I doubt it's effectiveness. Cashless economy is only another tool invented by the Central Bank Of Nigeria to rip Nigeria and it's people of their hard-earned money.
Whatever happens or is the outcome, we will survive.
Re: Cashless System In Nigeria: Are We Ready For The Down Side? by Adey09(m): 3:59am On Mar 20, 2012
I totally agree with the poster, will insurance companies refund our money, is our network now 100%, will it reach the under developed area of Nigeria, I mean villages, creeks etc , Nevertheless, typical Nigerian instinct, we shall surelysurvive and even overcome one day,though we are not really prepared for it, we will surely stumble - fall till we can perfect the system
Re: Cashless System In Nigeria: Are We Ready For The Down Side? by maninmood(m): 4:14am On Mar 20, 2012
oraclefemi:
Sanusi is screaming and shoving cashless policy down our throats and I have a few issues that I want to raise and also want it to be scrutinized from different angles:

Your post was well articulated. Why would you use ATM when you have banks all around you? You can easily work in and withdraw since it is not going to be more than 500,000naira? You can use cheque for any payment whatsoever, if you run current account(s). Left to me, using ATM and other online payment is quite risky,especially in Nigeria where we are not fully equipped with anti hacking security gadgets.
Re: Cashless System In Nigeria: Are We Ready For The Down Side? by zebudaya(m): 4:50am On Mar 20, 2012
So according to you we should carry lots of cash around or keep it at home, and you wonder why armed robbbers find home invasions attractive. Abeg make cashless come in. If they wan rob make them go rob bank and get shot.
Re: Cashless System In Nigeria: Are We Ready For The Down Side? by KINGwax(m): 4:54am On Mar 20, 2012
maninmood:

Your post was well articulated. Why would you use ATM when you have banks all around you? You can easily work in and withdraw since it is not going to be more than 500,000naira? You can use cheque for any payment whatsoever, if you run current account(s). Left to me, using ATM and other online payment is quite risky,especially in Nigeria where we are not fully equipped with anti hacking security gadgets.

anti-what? Biliv me, you'll still get hacked down!
Re: Cashless System In Nigeria: Are We Ready For The Down Side? by Nobody: 5:32am On Mar 20, 2012
oraclefemi: Sanusi is screaming and shoving cashless policy down our throats and I have a few issues that I want to raise and also want it to be scrutinized from different angles:

The security issues is one of the many problems. My own take is How realistic is it? In a country where we cant boast of 24 hrs power supply, and we still have people whose understanding of the internet is limited to facebook and emails alone ( and another majority who dont know how to use the internet either)how do you expect such people to carry out such transactions? Well you may argue that they will learn but then the learning process is going to be a slow and painful one for such people.
Re: Cashless System In Nigeria: Are We Ready For The Down Side? by cinzo: 5:49am On Mar 20, 2012
It is so sad. Presently first bank is owing me 40k due to the atm machine not dispensing and my account being debited.

And they are telling me to wait for 5 working days!
Re: Cashless System In Nigeria: Are We Ready For The Down Side? by Abuja1(m): 6:54am On Mar 20, 2012
Thank God Nigerians are waking up now,
Re: Cashless System In Nigeria: Are We Ready For The Down Side? by mycito90: 6:58am On Mar 20, 2012
We can not bury our heads in the
sand forever. One cannot treck
from lagos to Enugu because
planes can crash or cars can
tumble. We will learn to deal with it
as we learnt to stick with the new nairaland.We can not bury our heads in the
as we learnt to stick with the new nairaland.
We can not bury our heads in the
as we learnt to stick with the new nairaland.
Re: Cashless System In Nigeria: Are We Ready For The Down Side? by Nobody: 7:12am On Mar 20, 2012
Poster has said it all, we are not ready for this cashless stuff. Is only those that don't know what hacking is all about that will doubt this, I have seen hacking and have experienced it.

Let sanusi stop attracting this Indian, Palestine and Philippines hackers cause if those guys remember Nigeria, I pity the banks cause any money lost from my account they will pay me back.

The question is this, do we have top security firewalls to scare away this hackers than the USA yet their accounts gets hacked, then not to talk of the poor security firewall that our banks might be using cause I know anything security in Nigeria is poor.

My advise to sanusi is this, stop dis ur cashless stuff maybe you haven't seen hacking before so you might underate them but take my word those guys aint to be played with.
Re: Cashless System In Nigeria: Are We Ready For The Down Side? by Mynd44: 7:38am On Mar 20, 2012
^^^
Actually I am more concerned with them teaching our local boys how to do it cos if the regular Yahoo boy starts hacking, then the whole world is in trouble
Re: Cashless System In Nigeria: Are We Ready For The Down Side? by hrhobi1(m): 7:48am On Mar 20, 2012
hihi
Re: Cashless System In Nigeria: Are We Ready For The Down Side? by mezie4u(m): 8:07am On Mar 20, 2012
stuff01: i will show you the hottest genuine paying online investment companies.and also offline here in nigeria. i will also show you how to get a tokunboh toyota,nissan,honda 1999 models for 150,000 naira only here in nigeria.you get access to this info for just 3,000 only.if you dont get paid,report me to whoever you like.money back guaranteed after a month. for more details call 08060724483.
and if u know all this things, why will u want to share it with me for even 3million?

1 Like

Re: Cashless System In Nigeria: Are We Ready For The Down Side? by XFive: 8:13am On Mar 20, 2012
This is big fraud and i promise you that the policy will not last. I lost 40k with then intercontinental bank and i reported the matter and they told me they will return the money but they never did. Let us watch and see how far this so called cashless policy will go.
Re: Cashless System In Nigeria: Are We Ready For The Down Side? by akinmax: 8:14am On Mar 20, 2012
I doubt if the OP understand the basic of what the Sanusi cashless economy is really all about.Is not about ATM or cards.ATM cards short coming has always been there which is not particular to Nigeria alone, its a global thing.Cashless economy simple mean an electronics alternative to physical cash.There are other means to settle payment Mobile money,internet Banking,vending,etc.What we should be asking for is an improvement on our infrastuctures rather than remain in stone age.The advantages far outweigh the shortcomings both on the short-term and long-term.ATM/card theft, ATM machine problems are hurdle in a journey that need continuous improvement not a destination .Mind you,with the new chip card security features it is practically impossible to clone the card.
Re: Cashless System In Nigeria: Are We Ready For The Down Side? by Kc0022000(m): 8:47am On Mar 20, 2012
akinmax: I doubt if the OP understand the basic of what the Sanusi cashless economy is really all about.Is not about ATM or cards.ATM cards short coming has always been there which is not particular to Nigeria alone, its a global thing.Cashless economy simple mean an electronics alternative to physical cash.There are other means to settle payment Mobile money,internet Banking,vending,etc.What we should be asking for is an improvement on our infrastuctures rather than remain in stone age.The advantages far outweigh the shortcomings both on the short-term and long-term.ATM/card theft, ATM machine problems are hurdle in a journey that need continuous improvement not a destination .Mind you,with the new chip card security features it is practically impossible to clone the card.
I think the poster understood Sanusi right because Nigeria is just not ready for cashless economy, how many store or business accept eletronic cash in Nigeria( few out of many ),how many online business in Nigeria accept or can process online payment with the lack of trust and 100% chance of fraud in Nigeria ? The idea is not a bad one but the cashless policy is just in a rush,business insurance level is zero in Nigeria cos when hackers goes online the lost will be so high that more people will claim tower like the guy in Abuja did last week
Re: Cashless System In Nigeria: Are We Ready For The Down Side? by Nobody: 8:47am On Mar 20, 2012
akinmax: I doubt if the OP understand the basic of what the Sanusi cashless economy is really all about.Is not about ATM or cards.ATM cards short coming has always been there which is not particular to Nigeria alone, its a global thing.Cashless economy simple mean an electronics alternative to physical cash.There are other means to settle payment Mobile money,internet Banking,vending,etc.What we should be asking for is an improvement on our infrastuctures rather than remain in stone age.The advantages far outweigh the shortcomings both on the short-term and long-term.ATM/card theft, ATM machine problems are hurdle in a journey that need continuous improvement not a destination .Mind you,with the new chip card security features it is practically impossible to clone the card.

Chip and PIN? when did Nigeria start using chip and pin? Did they start using it before the United States. My brother just pray you don't experience hacking. Hackers don't mind whether your atm is chip and pin they will still get a way to chip ur money from it. I know those dudes cause I have experienced hacking.
Re: Cashless System In Nigeria: Are We Ready For The Down Side? by babaowo: 8:50am On Mar 20, 2012
hrhobi1: @oraclefemi,

Broda if you have contact details of any reliable hacker , please share 07037456040 BB 32EB5B2D EMAIL-michael2luv2002@yahoo.co.uk

Mind you its a personal issue I need him for not any nonsense Nigerian bank account.

Thank you ,

HRH MICHAEL OBI 1
........you want to start be preparing
Re: Cashless System In Nigeria: Are We Ready For The Down Side? by oraclefemi(m): 9:27am On Mar 20, 2012

I understood him quite right, i am talking about payment options if we are going cashless and that includes atms,online transfers and credit cards right? all i am saying is are we prepared for hacking because believe me it is coming and also who covers us when our money is lost ? banks ? insurance ? count the banks out because ordinary atm issues they will frustrate you and tell you someone somehow got your pin.
Re: Cashless System In Nigeria: Are We Ready For The Down Side? by msb247(m): 9:27am On Mar 20, 2012
Cashless policy ke? We really aren't ready at the moment. Here are some of my reasons:

1. High level of illiteracy in terms of reading/writing, using the internet/computer/gadgets, understanding banking systems & knowing what the cashless policy is all about, and so on. How many people go school sef? Even some wey go no sabi read/write. cry I can't count the number of times I've helped someone withdraw from an ATM with their own card because they can't operate the machine; not to even talk of those i fill-in deposit slips for in banking halls. lipsrsealed

2. Poverty! How many people can afford personal computers, modern mobile phones and other electronic gadgets huh? Or do we expect people to go to a cyber cafe for internet banking? Definitely not!

3. How many sales points and individuals can cope with losses all the time with the cashless policy knowing they won't be free from hackers?

4. What security measures have been put in place to safeguard people's funds?

Yes people learn everyday the hard or soft way but definitely not 'Cashless Society' at this time! I support it but a lot has to be put in place first else people and banks would only lose money and the policy won't last as some of my intelligent fellow nairalanders have said.

ELECTRICITY, EDUCATION, SECURITY!!!!!!!!!! Let the government address these first before thinking of a cashless society. MSB cool says so...
Re: Cashless System In Nigeria: Are We Ready For The Down Side? by sirp2007: 9:40am On Mar 20, 2012

A PESSIMISTIC EYE WILL SEE CALAMITY IN EVERY OPPORTUNITY WHILE AN OPTIMISTIC EYE WILL SEE OPPORTUNITY IN EVERY CALAMITY.
SIR WHICH DO U PREFER,CARRYING CASH ABOUT AND BEEN ROB & SHOT(LOSS MONEY AND LIFE)OR UR ACCOUNT BEEN HACKED?
EVEN NOW,DO U KNOW D LEVEL OF FRAUD THAT TAKE PLACE EACH DAY?DO U KNOW HOW MANY PPLE ARE BEEN TRACED TO THEIR HOMES AFTER WITHDRAWER?DO U KNOW WHY KIDNAPPING IS STILL THRIVING?
PLS LETS EMBRACE THIS NEW WAY OF FINANCIAL TRANSACTION AND STOP SEEING D DISADVANTAGE.
Re: Cashless System In Nigeria: Are We Ready For The Down Side? by MARKREN: 9:42am On Mar 20, 2012
The problem I have with policy makers in Nigeria is that they copy policies from other countries without carrying out any studies on the local environment to see its effects and implication. There is no well structured or detailed plan showing how it will be designed & implemented and how challenges encountered will be solved.

Cashless Policy is a good one but the simple question is how can electronic payment solution work in a country in the following situations

1. Where someone can issue dud cheques, where bank drafts are no longer accepted by all banks as a sure means of payment. How many people/banks has the CBN, EFCC, ICPC, Police etc jailed/sanctioned for issuing dud cheques and fake deposit slips and fake bank drafts. If we cannot manage this how do we intend to manage a more complex electronic payment system

2. How can the electronic payment system work where we done have unlimited power supply. How are the POS machines going to be powered not in places like Shoprite but in places like Balogun, Idumota, Alaba, Ladipo markets in Lagos, Ariaria in Aba, Obete in Enugu, and other major markets in Kano, Kaduna as well as other parts of the country. How will it work in place where there is no power at all?

3. Where is the infrastructure to manage this system, in terms of Hardware, Software, Security and Bandwidth capacity. This is country where we still find it difficult to make calls & carry out data transactions on our phones,Ipads,PCs, Laptops etc . Where is the internet capacity to carry out this policy? Which network in Nigeria as we speak can provide the kind of Bandwidth capacity needed to implement this policy in Lagos alone (outside the lies told in advertisements: I work for a major Telco so I know better).

3.Where is the policy framework on the operational modalities, the controls mechanisms in place to prevent, detect fraud and guarantee peoples fund. How do customers to seek redress in cases of fraud or are we Nigerians as usual at the mercy of the Banks and other Nigerian/Foreign enterprises who are always looking for the next way to reap people off.

4. How can this policy work in places outside the state capitals (if we are to assume as it is in most cases that the development in most states stops at their capitals towns).

5 How long will it take to implement a fully functional system with a clear modus operandi back up by controls and fully tested before it goes live. Or are we going the Nigerian way of fire brigade approach, rushing everything making customers pay for their inefficiency. Abi is it not people's hard earned that is involved??

I can go on and on but there is a saying that he who fails to plan, plans to fail. I am yet to see anything concrete from either the GOVT or the banks except adverts which do not say much outside cathy phases or slogans on this issue.

Besides who are the people creating this problems of cash handling for the banks and the CBN. It is the politicians and their Ghana must go policy mentality that is the chief culprit, aided by the same CBN & banks. Nigerians are just the scape goats!!!!!!!!!!

For those of us who support this saying it has worked in other countries, this is Nigeria where every policy with all it good intentions is always bastardized. I can name so many!!!

1 Like

Re: Cashless System In Nigeria: Are We Ready For The Down Side? by sirp2007: 9:57am On Mar 20, 2012
Adey09: I totally agree with the poster, will insurance companies refund our money, is our network now 100%, will it reach the under developed area of Nigeria, I mean villages, creeks etc , Nevertheless, typical Nigerian instinct, we shall surelysurvive and even overcome one day,though we are not really prepared for it, we will surely stumble - fall till we can perfect the system

PAY UR PREMIUM PROMPTLY & U CAN CLAIM UR LOST EASILY,INSURANCE COY AS IMPROVE A LITTLE IN 9JA.
U DONT NEED 100% NETWORK AS UR TRANSACTION IS NOT 24HRS THING.WHEN U HV NETWORK U DEAL,EVEN NOW BANK STILL EXPERIENCE SYSTEM DOWN TIME DOES THAT MEAN THEY SHOULD REVERT TO D OLD METHOD.
as for d underdeveloped area.1)HOW MANY OF THESE AREAS HAVE BANKS NOW? DONT THE PPLE THERE HAVE GSM SIGNAL(tis same lame excuse was use 12 yrs ago to play down on mobile comm)
MY TAKE IS FOR US TO BE POSITIVE ABOUT IT AND ENCOURAGE IT.WE HAVE TO UP OUR GAME TO INTERNATIONAL STD.DONT LET US GIVE D IMPRESSION THT 9JA IS TECHNOLOGICALLY BACKWARD.
Re: Cashless System In Nigeria: Are We Ready For The Down Side? by emmatok(m): 10:10am On Mar 20, 2012

For me this cashless stuff is not working.

Most POS installed in my company is are working.

The POS I tried at Shopite, Goodies and Maga-Plaza are too problematic,is either they don't accept VISA,Valve card or network problem.

At the end everybody will start collection raw cash.
Re: Cashless System In Nigeria: Are We Ready For The Down Side? by texazzpete(m): 10:33am On Mar 20, 2012
From the way these folks are complaining one would think that cash has been banned in Nigeria.

Abeg you can still withdraw small money from the bank and buy pepper at Balogun market. I have not seen anywhere that Sanusi told market women to install POS terminals in their shops.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Become A Mobile Money Agent / RMAFC Discovers N115bn Tax Liabilities Owed By FG, States MDAs / Daily Ten Odds Thread.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.