Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,895 members, 7,802,878 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:04 AM

What Is The Name Of God Almighty? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is The Name Of God Almighty? (9673 Views)

Islam Is GOD Almighty's Original Religion To All Of Mankind / Jesus Is God Almighty......question Me / Is Jesus Christ Same As God Almighty?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Name Of God Almighty? by snthesis(m): 10:20pm On Mar 20, 2012
Was @ a service recently, when the preacher said "oyah praise the Lord in ur native dialect" in d midst of my praising Him, I was repeatedly hearing Allah Allah, I opened my eyes to see a recently converted Hausa dude praising "God"
I asked him afterwards and he said Allah was God in hausa.
My poser is does God almighty have just one name? Or are we allowed to call Him different names?
Re: What Is The Name Of God Almighty? by LogicMind: 12:12am On Mar 21, 2012
I call hin dick, as in dick cheney.

Take that nl censor bot.
Re: What Is The Name Of God Almighty? by snthesis(m): 7:42am On Mar 21, 2012
Logic Mind: I call hin dick, as in dick cheney.

Take that nl censor bot.
U need redemption, I pray its not too late for u
Re: What Is The Name Of God Almighty? by LogicMind: 9:31am On Mar 21, 2012
snthesis:
U need redemption, I pray its not too late for u

Why? You think the lord your god will get too angry with me for calling him dick (which is a fine american name by the way) that he will never forgive me?
Re: What Is The Name Of God Almighty? by firestar(f): 12:22pm On Mar 21, 2012
Open your Bible to Isaiah 42:8; 54:5; Psalms 83:18.
Re: What Is The Name Of God Almighty? by MissyB3(f): 4:22pm On Mar 21, 2012
My poser is does God almighty have just one name?
No, God has more than one name, HE revealed his names on different occasions in the Bible.
For example when Moses asked HIM HIS name.

Exodus 3 vs 13-15 :
13 Moses said to God, “Suppose I go to the Israelites and say to them, ‘The God of your fathers has sent me to you,’ and they ask me, ‘What is his name?’ Then what shall I tell them?”

14 God said to Moses, “I AM WHO I AM.[a] This is what you are to say to the Israelites: ‘I AM has sent me to you.’”

15 God also said to Moses, “Say to the Israelites, ‘The LORD [also JEHOVAH], the God of your fathers—the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob—has sent me to you.’

This is my name forever,
the name you shall call me
from generation to generation.

Or are we allowed to call Him different names?
I think you can ascribe different titles to GOD so long as they are in accordance with HIS essence.
Morning star . . .Lion of the tribe of Judah . . . Most holy . . .Living stone etc are biblical titles ascribed to GOD/JESUS
Re: What Is The Name Of God Almighty? by snthesis(m): 11:52pm On Mar 21, 2012
So I guess we have ascertained that God almighty has different names in the bible.

The next question is are we only allowed to address Him by the biblical names?
Re: What Is The Name Of God Almighty? by LogicMind: 11:25am On Mar 22, 2012
Allah the most I. Piss unto his name.
Re: What Is The Name Of God Almighty? by Sweetnecta: 12:43pm On Mar 22, 2012
So what was the Name of God before Moses' "I AM . . ."?
What was the Name of God before Abraham's "Yahweh"?

What was the Name of God in the time of Noah, a messenger from Him?

What was the Name of God in the time of Enoch?

What was the Name of God in the time of Cain and Abel?

What was the Name of God to Adam and Eve?

Or was God always from the beginning just the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob? So Who was the God of Adam, then? What is the Name of the God of Adam?

I have left this issue solely that we discuss the Name of God relative to human existence. Otherwise I could task the Bibles and Christianity about the Name of God when there were no humans, before Adam was created, when jinns were the specie with free will on earth. Even before that, when Angels were created. Or even before that when God Alone was existing without the creations that we humans, those of us creationists believe to exist, even now.

Or are the Bibles; OT and NT not clear about the True Name of God Almighty the Creator?
Re: What Is The Name Of God Almighty? by Sweetnecta: 12:56pm On Mar 22, 2012
@Synthesis: [Quote]Was @ a service recently, when the preacher said "oyah praise the Lord in ur native dialect" in d midst of my praising Him, I was repeatedly hearing Allah Allah, I opened my eyes to see a recently converted Hausa dude praising "God"
My poser is does God almighty have just one name? Or are we allowed to call Him different names?[/Quote]Did you really asked the hausa guy if he was a convert from Islam to Christianity, considering that not all hausas are muslims? Your pastor said praise God in your native dialect. The hausa christian said Allah is God in his dialect. He didn't say only the muslims among them say Allah to mean God and the rest say some other names. The pagans among them say Allah based on what this christian hausa person said. There is nothing that will affect islam if he was a former muslim. I am just asking if you knew from him that he was a former muslim, now a christian?

Olorun: Muslim God from this lips of this yoruba muslim.
Olorun: Christian God from the lips of yoruba christian on NL.
Olorun: Pagan God from the lips of yoruba pagan on NL.
Olorun: Atheist/Agnostic says God of those of us who believe there is God Almighty Creator from the lips of Seun Osewa the yoruba Atheist/Agnostic on NL.
Re: What Is The Name Of God Almighty? by MissyB3(f): 1:30pm On Mar 22, 2012
snthesis: So I guess we have ascertained that God almighty has different names in the bible.

The next question is are we only allowed to address Him by the biblical names?
It's okay to address HIM by his attributes or ascribe befitting titles to HIM, (it's a way of praising HIM ). The Bible is replete with God's attributes, you may decide to use those or use yours, provided that it's in conformity with his essence.
HIS name is HIS name. That, you cannot change. If my name is Missy, why would anyone want to call me Susan or Rebecca? At most, you'd address me by my attributes or call me by a befitting title - Gorgeous, Baby, Snookums, Queen of my heart and all other blarneys you men are fond of using. tongue

For example, In the Bible HE was referred to as the Prince of peace (Isaiah 9:6): Why? Does HE have or give peace? John 14:27 says Yes, then it's a befitting title. You can think up a title to address HIM by, you're not obligated to use only the ones in the Bible, just make sure it's a befitting one. An example of what not to do -
Logic Mind: I call hin dick

BTW, are you asking because the ex-Muslim referred to God as Allah?
Re: What Is The Name Of God Almighty? by benodic: 2:52pm On Mar 22, 2012
HU is the universal name of God that does not belong to any language, tribe or religion. it is the sound that contains all sounds and when sung as a love song to God has the power to reawaken the God-like qualities of Soul that are already lying dormant in all souls enabling Soul to find its way back to the God Head
Re: What Is The Name Of God Almighty? by snthesis(m): 3:13pm On Mar 22, 2012
Sweetnecta: @Synthesis: [Quote]Was @ a service recently, when the preacher said "oyah praise the Lord in ur native dialect" in d midst of my praising Him, I was repeatedly hearing Allah Allah, I opened my eyes to see a recently converted Hausa dude praising "God"
My poser is does God almighty have just one name? Or are we allowed to call Him different names?[/Quote]Did you really asked the hausa guy if he was a convert from Islam to Christianity, considering that not all hausas are muslims? Your pastor said praise God in your native dialect. The hausa christian said Allah is God in his dialect. He didn't say only the muslims among them say Allah to mean God and the rest say some other names. The pagans among them say Allah based on what this christian hausa person said. There is nothing that will affect islam if he was a former muslim. I am just asking if you knew from him that he was a former muslim, now a christian?

Olorun: Atheist/Agnostic says God of those of us who believe there is God Almighty Creator from the lips of Seun Osewa the yoruba Atheist/Agnostic on NL.

u r pretty smart!! however i still want to get to an agreed consesus on the agreed name of GOD Almighty.

back to my original post- can you clarify if the Hausa's have a name assigned for God almighty other than Allah
Re: What Is The Name Of God Almighty? by snthesis(m): 3:16pm On Mar 22, 2012
Missy_B:
It's okay to address HIM by his attributes or ascribe befitting titles to HIM, (it's a way of praising HIM ). The Bible is replete with God's attributes, you may decide to use those or use yours, provided that it's in conformity with his essence.
HIS name is HIS name. That, you cannot change. If my name is Missy, why would anyone want to call me Susan or Rebecca? At most, you'd address me by my attributes or call me by a befitting title - Gorgeous, Baby, Snookums, Queen of my heart and all other blarneys you men are fond of using. tongue

For example, In the Bible HE was referred to as the Prince of peace (Isaiah 9:6): Why? Does HE have or give peace? John 14:27 says Yes, then it's a befitting title. You can think up a title to address HIM by, you're not obligated to use only the ones in the Bible, just make sure it's a befitting one. An example of what not to do -

BTW, are you asking because the ex-Muslim referred to God as Allah?
i am asking in other to get enquire if God Almighty has a universal name or if we are allowed to call Him different names, name not titles
Re: What Is The Name Of God Almighty? by snthesis(m): 3:17pm On Mar 22, 2012
benodic:
HU is the universal name of God that does not belong to any language, tribe or religion. it is the sound that contains all sounds and when sung as a love song to God has the power to reawaken the God-like qualities of Soul that are already lying dormant in all souls enabling Soul to find its way back to the God Head

never heard of that name b4, btw hav u been some ish
Re: What Is The Name Of God Almighty? by Ptolomeus(m): 4:22pm On Mar 22, 2012
Sweetnecta: @Synthesis: [Quote]Was @ a service recently, when the preacher said "oyah praise the Lord in ur native dialect" in d midst of my praising Him, I was repeatedly hearing Allah Allah, I opened my eyes to see a recently converted Hausa dude praising "God"

It's great to see how Christians not only took over and reformed Jewish worship, but also take the name of the god of another religion ...
Re: What Is The Name Of God Almighty? by benodic: 5:41pm On Mar 22, 2012
@snthesis

never heard of that name b4

the name has been always been there. Before it was only given to spiritually matured souls to enable them progress more spiritually. But now due to massive expansion in the consciousness of souls today it has been brought out in the open for the use of any soul who wants spiritual liberation.
It is sung in a long drawn out way with the outward breath for 15 to 20 mins daily.

, btw hav u
been some ish
sorry i do not undertand what you mean here.
Re: What Is The Name Of God Almighty? by buzugee(m): 5:51pm On Mar 22, 2012
Yahawah
Re: What Is The Name Of God Almighty? by Sweetnecta: 2:45am On Mar 23, 2012
@synthesis: [Quote]u r pretty smart!! however i still want to get to an agreed consesus on the agreed name of GOD Almighty.

back to my original post- can you clarify if the Hausa's have a name assigned for God almighty other than Allah[/Quote]Obangiji is a word in Hausa dialect to also mean God.
The yorubas have Oluwa, Eledumare, etc as Names of God. So its not surprising like all natives in their own dialects or group languages that The One God has more than 1 Name, but many Names.
Re: What Is The Name Of God Almighty? by snthesis(m): 8:49am On Mar 23, 2012
Obangiji is a word in Hausa dialect to also mean God.
The yorubas have Oluwa, Eledumare, etc as Names of God. So its not surprising like all natives in their own dialects or group languages that The One God has more than 1 Name, but many Names. [/quote]

in that case can it be said that the hausa translation of the bible is wrong or can it be said that Allah is God

Re: What Is The Name Of God Almighty? by Sweetnecta: 12:28pm On Mar 23, 2012
@Synthesis; I do not use the Bibles to worship. Bibles are not required for my type. But Taurah, Sabur, Injil, Suhufi Ibrahima wa Musa are some of the Books of God that I accept and definitely believe in. I also believe in the Al Qurani Karim.

Let me tell you the Mercy of God by an event that happened in the life of Prophet David [as], as below since we are talking about appropriate Name and or Attribute of GOD;

[b]««~ALLAH'S COMPLETE JUSTICE AND MERCY~»»

It is related that a woman went to the Prophet Dawud (A.S) and said, "O Prophet of Allah, is your lord anoppressor or is He just ?" The Prophet replied, "Woe unto you, O woman, he is the All-Just, Who never oppresses. What is your story?"

She explained that she was a widow, with three daughters and that she provided for them by what she would spin with her hands.
She explained, "Yesterday, I tied what I had spun into a red cloth to sell into the market place to provide for my children. As I was walking a bird came and snatched the red cloth from me and flew away, leaving me nothing to sell for the provision of my children."

As the woman was speaking to Dawud (A.S), someone came knocking on his door. He gave permission for them to enter and learned that they were ten
business men bringing with them one hundred dinars each. They said, "O Prophet of Allah, give this wealth to the one whom is deserving of it."

Dawud (A.S) asked them what had brought them to him with their wealth.
They explained, "O Prophet of Allah, we were on the boat, the wind was very violent, and we were about to drown when a bird came and dropped a red cloth upon us. In this cloth was some yarn and with this we blocked the hole in the ship until the wind subsided and we vowed that each of us would give one hundred dinars in charity. So give that amount to whom you please."

Dawud (A.S) turned to the woman and said, "Your Lord does business for you in the land and in the sea, yet you ask whether He oppresses !" He gave her
the thousand dinars and said. "Spend this on your children."

Gems and jewels p.68[/b]
Re: What Is The Name Of God Almighty? by Callotti: 5:31am On Mar 24, 2012
Inconsistent and manipulative.
If he were man or woman. . .I would most definitely avoid him or her.
Not a progressive 'God' in my opinion. . . more like a 'roundabout' leading to the same spot!
The utmost confusionist.
Re: What Is The Name Of God Almighty? by Ilekokonit: 5:39am On Mar 24, 2012
The beginning and the end
The one who opens and no one can close, who closes and no one can open
Re: What Is The Name Of God Almighty? by Ilekokonit: 5:42am On Mar 24, 2012
The I Am Than I Am, Self Sufficient
Re: What Is The Name Of God Almighty? by Ilekokonit: 5:43am On Mar 24, 2012
The Shepherd of my Soul
Re: What Is The Name Of God Almighty? by Ilekokonit: 5:44am On Mar 24, 2012
The Rock of Ages
Re: What Is The Name Of God Almighty? by snthesis(m): 10:09am On Mar 26, 2012
Callotti: Inconsistent and manipulative.
Not a progressive 'God' in my opinion. . . more like a 'roundabout' leading to the same spot!
The utmost confusionist.
He made u for a purpose, i wonder wat it cud b
Re: What Is The Name Of God Almighty? by snthesis(m): 10:11am On Mar 26, 2012
Ilekokonit: The beginning and the end
The one who opens and no one can close, who closes and no one can open
i dont think that is a name- it more of a description, what i asked for is a particular name.
Re: What Is The Name Of God Almighty? by LogicMind: 10:13am On Mar 26, 2012
Callotti: Inconsistent and manipulative.
The utmost confusionist.

in another life we could have lived together happily forever.
Re: What Is The Name Of God Almighty? by snthesis(m): 10:18am On Mar 26, 2012
Sweetnecta: @Synthesis; I do not use the Bibles to worship.
noted. wasnt asking u abt your mode of worship> and from what i can infer from ur post- d name of ur God is Allah.
Re: What Is The Name Of God Almighty? by snthesis(m): 10:30am On Mar 26, 2012
i was hoping to get more insightful comments, unfortunately not much.

back to my poser.
if the Hausa Bible translates God Almighty as Allah does it mean Christians and Muslims worship the same God
we have over 200 different tribes with distinct languages each of this tribes has a specific name for GOD Almighty e.g Yoruba Call called HIM Olodumare, Igbos call God Chineke, Edo's call God Osanobua e.t.c and these names are recognized by the Church and used in worship. (please note they also have names for lesser gods/idols). since these names were not recently developed after the conquest of the missionaries- is it right to accuse our ancestors of Idol Worship or are we modern Christians actually worshipping/praising Idols by use of these names of God in our respective dialects
Re: What Is The Name Of God Almighty? by Nobody: 1:46am On May 08, 2012
snthesis:

u r pretty smart!! however i still want to get to an agreed consesus on the agreed name of GOD Almighty.

back to my original post- can you clarify if the Hausa's have a name assigned for God almighty other than Allah
i have really not tot about it but this is something to think about. I think the maguzawa in kano who have choosen to remain wit their traditional way might help in that regard since they refused to accept islam

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigerian Christian Blogs / Mysterious Ways Of God! / How To Obtain Strong Faith (six Principles) By Dr. Fred. K.c. Price

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.