Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,305 members, 7,808,036 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:54 AM

I Am Divided Between GTBANK And FBN! Pls Advise. - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / I Am Divided Between GTBANK And FBN! Pls Advise. (3161 Views)

Which Is The Better Bank Between Gtbank And Zenith? / Pls Advise: Architecture Or Civil Engineering / Medicine or Dentistry?: Pls Advise (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Am Divided Between GTBANK And FBN! Pls Advise. by Achiles: 5:39pm On Mar 21, 2012
I joined GTBank Plc three years back as an Trainee. I have enjoyed every bit of my stay as I have had training opportunities I probably might not have had somewhere else. As you would expect, the trainings haven't come without challenging responsibilities. I could say with some dint of modesty that I enjoyed those challenges. Nice as the bank is, promotion does not come easy. Recently out of curiousity, I applied to FBN, attended the interviews and went for medicals. It turned out that I was offered a better pay and level. I also told them my preferred location which they acceded to. I got a call this afternoon asking me when I would resume and I just could not give them an answer! I have been hesitant and unforthcoming. Thinking of the Bank reminded me of the fisrt time I stepped and how good it's been. I also considered the fact that I would be promoted by June. I don't know if I should stay or leave. Someone pls advise me.
Re: I Am Divided Between GTBANK And FBN! Pls Advise. by yamakuza: 6:04pm On Mar 21, 2012
Is the June promotion at GTB, and will it beat the FBN offer by then? By how much?

Is June certain?
Re: I Am Divided Between GTBANK And FBN! Pls Advise. by tanimola22: 1:27am On Mar 22, 2012
Achiles: I joined GTBank Plc three years back as an Trainee. I have enjoyed every bit of my stay as I have had training opportunities I probably might not have had somewhere else. As you would expect, the trainings haven't come without challenging responsibilities. I could say with some dint of modesty that I enjoyed those challenges. Nice as the bank is, promotion does not come easy. Recently out of curiousity, I applied to FBN, attended the interviews and went for medicals. It turned out that I was offered a better pay and level. I also told them my preferred location which they acceded to. I got a call this afternoon asking me when I would resume and I just could not give them an answer! I have been hesitant and unforthcoming. Thinking of the Bank reminded me of the fisrt time I stepped and how good it's been. I also considered the fact that I would be promoted by June. I don't know if I should stay or leave. Someone pls advise me.

Mhen, this your question is interestingly hard. In that same naija, companies are still toasting prospective employees smiley. Good. You must be among the top 0.001% that companies still run after. I hear that it is becoming abundantly pellucid that companies are increasingly going after ready made people. You situation just confirms it.

I will follow your post and hear what experienced contributors have to tell you.

T22.
Re: I Am Divided Between GTBANK And FBN! Pls Advise. by ayox2003: 9:22am On Mar 22, 2012
Achiles: I joined GTBank Plc three years back as an Trainee. I have enjoyed every bit of my stay as I have had training opportunities I probably might not have had somewhere else. As you would expect, the trainings haven't come without challenging responsibilities. I could say with some dint of modesty that I enjoyed those challenges. Nice as the bank is, promotion does not come easy. Recently out of curiousity, I applied to FBN, attended the interviews and went for medicals. It turned out that I was offered a better pay and level. I also told them my preferred location which they acceded to. I got a call this afternoon asking me when I would resume and I just could not give them an answer! I have been hesitant and unforthcoming. Thinking of the Bank reminded me of the fisrt time I stepped and how good it's been. I also considered the fact that I would be promoted by June. I don't know if I should stay or leave. Someone pls advise me.
Points to note:
1) You have enjoyed GTB so far.
2) GTB gave you the training you might not have gotten somewhere else.
3) Promotion doesnt come easy in GTB.
4) FBN is offering a higher level and pay.
5) You are still confused, which is why you came here.
Bro, what's safe may not be what's best. Have you considered the long-term effect this would have on your career? What's the future like in FBN? Forget about the better pay and level that they are offering now. After this promotion when is the next one coming and where will those promotions take you? Will FBN take you to the climax of your career? Where do you see yourself in 10years time with both banks?
FBN is going be 120years old in some two years and there will ofcourse be some "routines" in such a old place.
GTB is yet to be 20 and its fast-growing, solid, innovative with a very good work environment + young chaps.
Why dont you "grow" with the fast-growing company where your happiness is going to be sustained than working with a ready-made bank filled with aged bosses?
You hinted that GTB will promote you by June but promotion doesnt come easy. Why the kanju-kanju? Only If you are someone who doesnt like working for years in a company.
IMHO.

1 Like

Re: I Am Divided Between GTBANK And FBN! Pls Advise. by Achiles: 2:39pm On Mar 28, 2012
Thanks guy. I have really thought about it and did some fact finding. I think I would just hang on with GTBank for now.
Re: I Am Divided Between GTBANK And FBN! Pls Advise. by seyi42k(m): 8:05pm On Apr 19, 2012
Hi,

I would advise that you take First Bank offer. They have the best pay in the industry right now and the stress level is very low. When last did you here that First Bank downsized or when did you see them pursuing deposit without end.

If the opportunity is still open, please take. I waited 4 years for a phantom promotion that never came as the goal post was always been moved.

However, God has the final say.
Re: I Am Divided Between GTBANK And FBN! Pls Advise. by DoubleN(m): 7:43pm On Apr 20, 2012
@OP
The only way to move up in your career "banking" is to actually switch employers/job descriptions. GO to Linkedin and view the pages of highly successful young people in your field, you will see a common trend in that they never remain in the same position or place for more than 3 years. This is important if you are still below the 10 year mark in your field! If you want to move up the ladder, you have to switch.

3 Likes

Re: I Am Divided Between GTBANK And FBN! Pls Advise. by Achiles: 10:06pm On Jun 23, 2012
Thanks guys ! I sure got my promotion and kind of enjoying it. But the fact remains that I am still stuck in one of the boko haram states. Have been asking for transfer and still waiting. These days surviving and church attendance have become so dicey that one doesn't know when the next bomb will go off. Still have my FBN offer and Lagos is also on offer. I am honestly considering taking this offer for safety reason. I am so scared here can't even drive out again for fear of being shot either bt bh or jtf. Does anyone have any advice?
Re: I Am Divided Between GTBANK And FBN! Pls Advise. by Konnektions146(m): 2:54pm On Jun 24, 2012
FBN is good oooo
stress level is very low, and pay is awesome,
i dnt know were u re from but my guy, North can never be an option for me-so much innstability and turmoil.

u have to be alive to eat de money u re makin
Re: I Am Divided Between GTBANK And FBN! Pls Advise. by deenee: 3:25pm On Jun 24, 2012
Both banks are good. What you need to consider is your long term career plan and how the decision "to move or not" will influence your career direction in the long run. Information from the media indicates that the North is not an ideal place to stay at the moment. More disturbing is the fact that investors would probably flee these crisis prone areas hence if I were you, I would take the FBN option, if GTB is not ready to consider a relocation for you.

Career wise , Lagos is still the financial hub of Nigeria and indeed West Africa. Hence, moving to Lagos will surely broaden your horizon and provide you with more options. This decision could be at a risk though. However,if you are not married, now is the time to take such risks whilst weighing the options of the intended outcome. This is just my own take on this matter. All the best!

1 Like

Re: I Am Divided Between GTBANK And FBN! Pls Advise. by stepo707: 12:58pm On Jun 25, 2012
@op WTH are you still doing in that Boko state? or you have one yarinya that has hooked you there.Better accept that FBN offer and come to lagos.Goodluck

(1) (Reply)

Agricultural Extension And Rural Development. Economic Viability / NIPR President, Malam Sirajo, Bags Pillar Of Public Relations Award by NSUK / Performance Reviews And Incentive Pay Are Harmful?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.