Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,909 members, 7,802,956 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 05:13 AM

How To Start A University Lecturing Career? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How To Start A University Lecturing Career? (69713 Views)

Rejoinder To When A University Degree No Longer Guarantees A Job / Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University / Lecturing Career. Need Advice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by tanimola22: 6:17pm On Mar 23, 2012
pato405:

to the above statement in RED

1. I have not generalised in anyway. this is a qualitative dialogue and i've just interpreted your comments. there's no generalisation in qualitative approach [rule of thumb] mind you. I'm equally sure I've not drawn wrong inferences from your transcript. you clearly advised prospective researchers to steer clear without stating valid reasons. as a researcher, I'll label you as being biased. your likes will sample data to suit the end result they wish to achieve. objectivity will eventually get defeated - and this a typical reflection of the kind of studies we have back home. you have extended such prejudice to this forum. I challenge you once again to summarily state valid reasons buttressed with sufficient evidence why you will NOT recommend the Uk.

2. your second statement highlighted in red sounds so nebulous. if there's no academic quality in UK known for outstanding journals and publications, then where else? go check the world best universities and see how UK universities compete keenly for top posts with American UNis. mind you, the Uk isn't a continent and America is one. yet, their impact in standardised education is felt not just in Europe, but all over the world. I'm not advertising UK schools, I'm just being objective based on experience.

You did not generalize, yet you said I recommended Naija Universities over those in the UK. Very nice conclusion. I wonder why you keep on attacking the quality of my education. You don't even know me, nor have you seen the quality of my work, nor do you know the country I live. Anyway, you see Mr, I am not here to drag UK issues with you, and I will definitely not be forced to prematurely declare anything. Please read my post very well.

As a last response to your post, I will reiterate that I 'do not' hold the UK high up there, definitely 'not' because of academic quality.

The last time I lived in the UK, the language of anything was the English language. Perhaps things have changed, I would not know sha.

This thread is meant to answer a specific question asked by a poster and other related questions asked by other posters.

If you have any contribution, please go ahead and make it. And thank you very much for letting me know that the United States of America is a continent. I thought the US was a country in North America.

T22.

8 Likes

Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by ahamdiheme: 6:19pm On Mar 23, 2012
It is not fear but being real. The UK schools are not bad but why pursue something I have to pay so much for when I can get the same and most times better for free? Please correct me if I wrong but I do not think emphases are made on publishing work in the UK. I know it is three years but again why should I do a PhD, pay so much for it and at the end there is no single publication to my name? I rather spend 4-5 years and come out with top notch publications that will earn me Assistant Prof. upon completion.
pato405:

I can see a lot of students are really scared of coming to the UK. grin grin grin grin grin grin why is the UK not in your list?

your second coments in red:

infact, I couldn't have said it better. I find it very difficult to accept validity and reliability any piece of PhD thesis written in Nigeria. I'm really sorry to say but it's the painful truth. it often lacks depth and quality. more often than not, the principles and precepts of the research paradigms are carelessly flung out through academic windows with utmost disregard. angry angry angry angry. original contribution to knowledge = Zero! it's just so frustrating!

2 Likes

Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by wakes: 6:29pm On Mar 23, 2012
@all, thanks for this thread. For me it both an answered prayer and an eye opener to the academic world on NL. Only this week, I did a search on ONLINE MASTERS IN PUBLIC HEALTH to see what is obtainable. Having read all your posts, I am better educated on what to do. I am also passionate about research. I had 3.5 i.e. 2-2 in Biochemistry, un-Jos. So with my result, @ T22 and others, what would you advice? Plus I read about TOEFL & GRE, must I do them if I want to study abroad? And finally about funding, that is good news, please tell me more especially for MPH that I want to run. Many thanks, great minds!
Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by tanimola22: 6:31pm On Mar 23, 2012
wakes: @all, thanks for this thread. For me it both an answered prayer and an eye opener to the academic world on NL. Only this week, I did a search on ONLINE MASTERS IN PUBLIC HEALTH to see what is obtainable. Having read all your posts, I am better educated on what to do. I am also passionate about research. I had 3.5 i.e. 2-2 in Biochemistry, un-Jos. So with my result, @ T22 and others, what would you advice? Plus I read about TOEFL & GRE, must I do them if I want to study abroad? And finally about funding, that is good news, please tell me more especially for MPH that I want to run. Many thanks, great minds!

Hi, I am sorry to ask this question. Are you sure that 3.5=2-2? Typo?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by pato405(m): 6:45pm On Mar 23, 2012
tanimola22:

You did not generalize, yet you said I recommended Naija Universities over those in the UK. Very nice conclusion. I wonder why you keep on attacking the quality of my education. You don't even know me, nor have you seen the quality of my work. Anyway, you see Mr, I am not here to drag UK issues with you, and I will definitely not be forced to prematurely declare anything. Please read my post very well.

As a last response to your post, I will reiterate that I 'do not' hold the UK high up there, definitely 'not' because of academic quality.

The last time I lived in the UK, the language of anything was the English language. Perhaps things have changed, I would not know sha.

This thread is meant to answer a specific question asked by a poster and other related questions asked by other posters.

If you have any contribution, please go ahead and make it. And thank you very much for letting me know that the United States of America is a continent. I thought the US was a country in North America.

T22.

ahamdiheme:
It is not fear but being real. The UK schools are not bad but why pursue something I have to pay so much for when I can get the same and most times better for free? Please correct me if I wrong but I do not think emphases are made on publishing work in the UK. I know it is three years but again why should I do a PhD, pay so much for it and at the end there is no single publication to my name? I rather spend 4-5 years and come out with top notch publications that will earn me Assistant Prof. upon completion.

@T22: I'm not relegating the quality of your education. you are taking it too personal. we are here to make valid contributions and not sway comments. sometimes people like you push me above the walls to make statements I ought not to make. for instance, here is another fellow researcher in Turkey [ahamdiheme], just the same way I challenged your statements, I also challenged his...but guess what, your approach to the questions have rather been uncouth and your responses garnished with so much resentment. on the other hand, the same question I asked you is the same question I have asked ahamdiheme. unlike you, he clearly pointed out why he will not recommend the UK by pointing out cost of education and the privileges of publication. it's as simple as that. just lay your cards on the table. when it comes to rationalising issues, i just dont know why people take a pugnacious dimension. well, like you rightly pointed out, I dont know you and I dont care to know you - whether you see America as a universe or whatever, go hug a transformer if you cannot engage in intellectual debates.

@ Ahamdiheme:

i must say it's not always the case. for instance, if you explore the opportunities for a scholarship, you may get one. I'm pretty sure about this as I am currently benefiting from one with stipends to go with. I dont pay a dime as tution. meanwhile, it may also amaze you to know that some of these positions get advertised without applicants knowing about it or turning up to receive such grants. sometimes, the problem with prospective researchers is getting the right information and being alert to advertisements for such opportunities particularly students from developing countries. you cannot imagine how much is often set aside to assist students from developing countries via scholarships and grants, but they hardly know about it.

secondly, that you cannot publish as a researcher is a misconception. im currently working towards having 2 publications before im through. again, your final thesis is almost always submitted for a publication if you desire. there are many opportunities for publications here. as a matter of fact, I know of many MSC students with one publication already.one is a friend who finished from Uniben with a first class deegree in mathematics. he subsequently came to the Uk for MSC ; University of Loughborough and made a distinction, he's currrently in his final year PHD [fully funded by the british govt] and already has 2 publications. so please, varify the sources of your information lest you be misguided in your decisions. your PhD thesis, if published [provided you submit it as no one will hold you under duress] will always have your name first, then the name(s) of your supervisor(s).

4 Likes

Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by wakes: 6:49pm On Mar 23, 2012
Oops... It was a typo not 3.5, ca3.45, 2-2 sha. Thanks @T22 for the observation, so as for my questions what would you say? Thanks prof
Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by tanimola22: 7:00pm On Mar 23, 2012
wakes: @all, thanks for this thread. For me it both an answered prayer and an eye opener to the academic world on NL. Only this week, I did a search on ONLINE MASTERS IN PUBLIC HEALTH to see what is obtainable. Having read all your posts, I am better educated on what to do. I am also passionate about research. I had 3.5 i.e. 2-2 in Biochemistry, un-Jos. So with my result, @ T22 and others, what would you advice? Plus I read about TOEFL & GRE, must I do them if I want to study abroad? And finally about funding, that is good news, please tell me more especially for MPH that I want to run. Many thanks, great minds!

I would say you should try to take and ace the GRE. Then look for professors who are ready to 'sell you' in the letters of recommendation which you will ask them to write in your behalf. Many US universities don't play with strong letters of recommendation, especially if the letter writers are above averagely known researchers. Ask people who are quite familiar with the US system and they will tell you almost the same thing. I have seen cases where just above average students were admitted into very top US programs just because their letters of recommendation were written by top researchers.

Outside of the US, most universities don't require scores from GRE and TOEFL, but you have to be very lucky to get a scholarship or an assistantship position at these places. Many non English speaking countries are especially generous when it comes to funding PhD students. You may want to look at them as well. In fact, I suggest that you take the GRE and TOEFL, score well and afterwards apply to schools all over the world. The only challenge you will face is the high application fees that US Universities demand from applicants to their programs.

For your public health knowledge, you may find this helpful http://www.gradschools.com/search-programs/public-health.

T22.

1 Like

Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by pato405(m): 7:06pm On Mar 23, 2012
@Wakes, with your grade [3.5 i.e 2.2] I'm very sure you can secure an admission for MPH in Uk. I also did MPH as i have a medical background. sadly, I am not so sure if 3.5 can guarantee you a scholarship. please see this link : http://cscuk.dfid.gov.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/prospectus-shared-scholarships-2012.pdf.

if you are coming to the UK, you DO NOT need GRE/TOEFL. news reaching me however indicates that the UK may soon introduce IELTS as a necessary pre-requisite for foreign students. I am not so sure of when exactly it will take effect. if you need further information, feel free to mail me

minajkindy@yahoo.com
Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by tanimola22: 7:18pm On Mar 23, 2012
Mcleo007:

I can't appreciate u enough sir!

Here is my email for the contact; [email]mcleodavids2@yahoo.co.uk[email]

God bless.

Yeah, no problems. I will send you the details when the dude finally responds. For now, he hasn't.

T22.
Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by chreldb(m): 7:56pm On Mar 23, 2012
@op, if you finish/finished with a first class you are eligible for automatic employment. If you finished with a 2:1 you are eligible for employment in the academia but you have to have a a godfather or you have to be highly connected. If you finish with a 2:2 you are not eligible to be employed in the university academia even if you have a masters. That's the rule. You have to go as far as a Ph.D. Now you are entering on BSc levet you start of as a graduate assistant. If you have a masters you start of as an assistant lecturer and if you enter with a PhD you start of as at least a lecturer II depending on the amount of publications you have. My personal advice is that if really you have this flare be in contact with your potential senior colleagues and let them know how passionate you are about teaching and research. Also take up a higher degree but not necessarily under them, but keep them in the know. There is nothing that tickles the fancy of a Professor than when he discovers that his prodigee has started teaching him. But be careful about it, never outshine the master. And try and get at least one of your postgraduate degrees outside Noigeria if not you will be just an inbred local scholar. I hope this helps. By the way nice thread.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by trueman1(m): 8:32pm On Mar 23, 2012
@ Tanimola 222 and Pato pls don't argue again. U guys are very intelligent pple. Please advice me on the best schools I can do my PhD-Business Admin or Int'l Business in US or Canada on scholarships. I have my Msc in Business Administration with a grade above 4.0. Please assist with cost implications and website adresses if possible.

Thank you.
Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by stagger: 8:42pm On Mar 23, 2012
Hmm, great reply there...
Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by tanimola22: 9:01pm On Mar 23, 2012
trueman1: @ Tanimola 222 and Pato pls don't argue again. U guys are very intelligent pple. Please advice me on the best schools I can do my PhD-Business Admin or Int'l Business in US or Canada on scholarships. I have my Msc in Business Administration with a grade above 4.0. Please assist with cost implications and website adresses if possible.

Thank you.

Are you completely interested only in the US and/or Canada? The Lagos Business School specifically offers a PhD in Business Admin, fully funded!!! You are more than qualified, and I smell you may even be selected. Would you like it? Check it out.

T22

1 Like

Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by tanimola22: 9:12pm On Mar 23, 2012
trueman1: @ Tanimola 222 and Pato pls don't argue again. U guys are very intelligent pple. Please advice me on the best schools I can do my PhD-Business Admin or Int'l Business in US or Canada on scholarships. I have my Msc in Business Administration with a grade above 4.0. Please assist with cost implications and website adresses if possible.

Thank you.

In case you would like to try it out, you can download the form here http://www.lbs.edu.ng/phd/
Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by pato405(m): 9:18pm On Mar 23, 2012

Thank you.

please see this link http://scholarship-positions.com/four-year-phd-scholarship-in-business-administration-norway/2011/01/11/

also this :http://www.scholarshipscanada.com/search/featured.asp

it's in Norway and it's current. don't forget to sign up for updates just incase you don't like norway and you wish to get alerts in the future. you'll be updated at no costs at all.

if you also care about Newcastle Business School - it's a reputable Business school in the UK. they offer quite a number of scholarships to African students and tuition is relatively more affordable than other schools. you can also check them out. while there're many good schools in US and Canada such as Harvard, Princeton , Pennsylvania, Yale, Columbia [US], Alberta and Calgary [canada], I really can't say much about their admission criteria for your program. again, I'm certain you may have to secure a supervisor before you apply to these schools in Canada. For Newcastle Business School and most schools in UK, it's not mandatory you secure one first before admission.
Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by pato405(m): 9:23pm On Mar 23, 2012
sorry for the typos pls
Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by pato405(m): 9:31pm On Mar 23, 2012
@Trueman: sorry application deadline ended a few weeks ago (on first link)..i just confirmed it. however, you can sign up for alerts to your e-mail and check them up regularly. it's a sure way to keep in touch. for Newcastle Business school, you may be looking at £10,000 per academic session [2.5mil]. living expenses vary markedly but if you are not extravagant, you cant spend more than £500 monthly for feeding and accommodation.
Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by segebobo: 11:41pm On Mar 23, 2012
babeface3: I graduated from a state university in Nigeria, and currently running my LLM in Europe, I have spoken to a professor at UNILAG concerning a possible lecturing assistance job while I run a PHD in the school and he answered in affirmative. I am wondering how easy and effective this option could be.

The point is UNILAG awards just 2 graduate fellows per department per year for those running their PhD. You may be lucky if the number of those doing their PhD in your dept is few but another catch is I hear the renewal is automatic for those who already hold the award.
Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by GboyegaD(m): 5:06am On Mar 24, 2012
pato405:

I can see a lot of students are really scared of coming to the UK. grin grin grin grin grin grin why is the UK not in your list?

your second coments in red:

infact, I couldn't have said it better. I find it very difficult to accept validity and reliability of any piece of PhD thesis written in Nigeria. I'm really sorry to say but it's the painful truth. it often lacks depth and quality. more often than not, the principles and precepts of the research paradigms are carelessly flung out through academic windows with utmost disregard. angry angry angry angry. original contribution to knowledge = Zero! it's just so frustrating!

In my opinion, why I may find it difficult recommending people to study in the UK is the cost and funding opportunities. In terms of quality, UK schools have very good quality just like other western countries but the funding opportunities are not as enormous as that of some other countries.
Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by sunky644(m): 5:25am On Mar 24, 2012
Good job by you guys most especially Tanimola and Pasto405, you really ve the knowledge and correct info to impact. @Pasto405, you can't completely rubbish what we do in Nigeria here as not all Profs and Researchers here are bad belle and local champion. I am currently a Masters student in Nigeria and precisely FUTA, I can boldly tell you my supervisor is one of the best you can think of in this country as he has some of his Masters students with one or two international publications from their research project and presently one of his Ph.D students who is tutoring me and will be awarded the degree this year already have 6(six) international journals published by him. So what more exceptional performance do you need from young upcoming researchers than these? Pls try to appreciate what we ve in Nigeria as we are not all dumb ass.......

5 Likes

Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by ektbear: 8:32am On Mar 24, 2012
Interesting thread.
Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by collyno200(m): 8:42am On Mar 24, 2012
helo great scholars in the house.i've rily enjoyd d educative post of forum members here.am a final year studnt of mining engineering fed univ of tech akure.i currently av a cgpa greater than 4.6 as at nw.wel i intend going 4 my masters in petroleum engineering.i rily like d course any one with useful info abt scholarshp opportunitier in usa canada n eu countries should pls update me.also wat do u tink abt graduate assitant positn in nigerian univ nw cos as as a rule in futa prospective first clas graduates r retained upon graduation.dou i lv teachn bt wld luv to do that later in my life after i have gotten industry experience and in petroleum engineering field.thanks

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by chuqudy(m): 8:56am On Mar 24, 2012
All these masters and PhD are they for free? If they are free I am very much interested. If not, how much would it actually cost to do MSc and Phd abroad like in Eurasia? I mean the total cost.
Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by Mujinho4b(m): 10:21am On Mar 24, 2012
im stil in ma 2nd year, studying education biology.. Bt lecturing job on ma mind, wuld like 2knw u more incase in future i might nid ur help.. Tanks.
Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by tanimola22: 12:29pm On Mar 24, 2012
collyno200: helo great scholars in the house.i've rily enjoyd d educative post of forum members here.am a final year studnt of mining engineering fed univ of tech akure.i currently av a cgpa greater than 4.6 as at nw.wel i intend going 4 my masters in petroleum engineering.i rily like d course any one with useful info abt scholarshp opportunitier in usa canada n eu countries should pls update me.also wat do u tink abt graduate assitant positn in nigerian univ nw cos as as a rule in futa prospective first clas graduates r retained upon graduation.dou i lv teachn bt wld luv to do that later in my life after i have gotten industry experience and in petroleum engineering field.thanks

This is very nice, and your preference of wanting to first gather some industry experience in the field of petroleum engineering is almost surely consistent with those of other engineering grads that I know. My friend who studied petroleum engineering had your view, and he luckily landed a job with Total few months after concluding NYSC. He is on 11 Million Naira per annum; so you may want to try your luck there too, when you graduate as a petroleum engineer.

I don't know how higher than 4.6 your GPA currently is, and I also don't know the level you are at the moment (whether 300L, 400L, or even 500L), but I believe, from experience, that it is possible to improve your GPA above what it is now. Try as much as possible to do that. A high GPA is always an advantage. In fact, it would be nice if you could target and achieve 5.00 from now on till you graduate. Trust me, this is very possible. And the good thing about this is that many schools in North America, especially schools in Canada and the US, specifically look at the grades you obtained in your last two years of studies as a way of evaluating your transcript(s). I have seen cases where boundary first guys (4.5-4.55) got very nice offers from top schools around the world because, even though they did not start very well, they had almost 5.00 in the last two years of their studies. Please take note of this, and take advantage of it. I would not have said this if you had already graduated, but I am saying this because you are still an undergrad and you can still make your situation better.

In case, upon graduation, you are not able to secure a very nice job that suits your taste, and you still desire to pursue a Master's in Petroleum Engineering, then I would advise that you take up the graduate research position, preferably work as a research assistant to a prof who is heavy in any research area that interests you, do it for one year and apply to all those top schools around the world. Of course, if you are gunning for the US, you first must have gotten very nice scores on the GRE and TOEFL tests. The reason I suggest working as a research assistant for one year is that the very top engineering schools around the world, such as MIT, Stanford and others, very much value research experience. Again, I have heard of cases where students were accepted into top research schools in the US and elsewhere just because they previously worked as research assistants in very relevant fields. So you may want to take very good advantage of this.

I earnestly believe that you have little to no problems at all. Try to up your already great GPA, take and ace the GRE and TOEFL. For the GRE, I suggest you concentrate more on the quantitative section because this is the area most programs are interested in. Don't kill yourself on the verbal part, although it would be nice if you could make a great score there. I guess someone with your IQ should score nothing less than >94th percentile on the quantitative section, >70th on the verbal section and perhaps >4.5/6 on the analytical writing section( I don't know how well you write, but you can always practice and score well). When you are armed with all these things, make sure you have some money to pay application fees. The application fee for each university in the US can be as high as 60$-100$. At times it can be more sef. However, if you know a prof who is ready to stick his neck out for you, then you escape paying the application fees at some universities. I for one did not have to pay any fees because I was familiar with some profs who aggressively supported my application wink.

The following schools should be your main focus:
Cambridge University: I am not sure if Petroleum Engineering is offered there, but I know they have Chemical Engineering. Also, the Gates Scholarship for very qualified students like you is not bad. You can get it, although the competition is fierce. Four people I know got it; 2 studied Mathematics, the other 2 studied Chemical Engineering. I particularly like Cambridge University because the academic work there is rigorous. You either shape in or shape out! I will not divulge more information than this, which is in fact what you need smiley

Stanford University: A nairalander and one of our proud alumni did his PhD there. It is almost sure that you will land a top oil job in the US soon after your studies at Stanford University. For an instance, the said nairalander (username withheld) is a researcher at Mobil and, from what he has remarked, chances of getting top oil jobs are high after graduate studies at Stanford. The monthly stipend they give to graduate students is usually not bad. You can be a teaching assistant/research assistant, which means you have to teach undergraduates/do research with a prof before you earn the stipend, or you can get a fellowship, which means you don't have to teach nada. All you need to do is sit down and make a high GPA hahahaha. But getting a fellowship can be a pain in some US schools.

MIT: This one is among the best of the best engineering schools around the world, if not the best sef. Do your best to enter this one. This is the more reason why you have to make your GPA as high as possible, get great letters of recommendation from the best profs you can approach, score highly on the standardized tests and generally package your application very well. In my experience, a well packaged application will always not hurt you. I have had some academic opportunities, which other more able and qualified people could not have, simply because I have consistently packaged my applications very well. Use this trick.

Other very excellent schools you should try are Oxford University (UK), University of California at Berkley (US), Texas A&M (US), University of Houston, Caltech (US), Yale (US), Colorado School of Mines (US), TU Delft (Holland----a nairalander who graduated from your school FUTA did his MSc there and afterwards got 3 oil jobs and 6-11 PhD positions. He rejected all PhD positions. cheesy hahahaha. You too can surely achieve the same feat or even better), Manchester (UK), Toronto (Buhari grin),Mc Gill(Canada). In fact, the list goes on. Another strong advice I would like to offer is that you certainly should not apply to only the very top schools. You have to diversify your applications. Endeavor to apply to schools that are not very high up there. You may still get a good offer after your studies. For instance, Louisiana may not be the best university to study your course. However, oil companies have consistently visited the university to recruit graduating students. In the same vein, I have two senior colleagues who completed their fully funded PhD programs at Heriot Watt University. One works for Schlumberger, the other works for Total. Don't look down on some schools.

In my experience, I have found that Nigerian students who graduated tops in oil and gas engineering related programs in the US got more oil job offers than their fellow Nigerian counterparts in the UK. For example, one of the Cambridge guys I earlier spoke about came back to naija after his studies because he was unable to get a juicy job and never applied for any PhD position. Till now, it has not been easy for him to land the big oil job he envisaged. The other one successfully got a place at Shell UK. Many others I know, they had to accept PhD positions in Chemical/Petroleum Engineering because the juicy jobs just weren't forthcoming and they needed to get a steady source of income. A PhD offers that steady source of income for the duration of the PhD program and even beyond. That is why I am an advocate of using a PhD to hedge against one's inability to get a juicy job. Nonetheless, I am sure that you may also give many examples based on your experience in which many UK trained Nigerian graduates got juicy jobs after graduation. There is no one hard and fast rule; nothing is particularly straight.

On a last note, if you desire to get very close to the major oil company in Saudi (Saudi Aramco), if you desire to get into a graduate program that funds your studies without your having to pay for accommodation, bills, taxes, transportation and other utilities, if you are strongly looking to earn about 20k$-30k$/year while studying, without having to spend a dime from this money other than feeding yourself, then look no further than KAUST (Saudi). In my view, and based on my research and information from friends there, KAUST offers the best funding package anyone can ask for. I am yet to see an institution that funds as much and still pays for bills and provides a very nice accommodation for all of its students, all at the same time. However, and very sadly so, the downside to KAUST is that it is relatively new university and has zero track record. You may want to strongly consider this very important shortcoming.

Hope this story story story helps.

Truly yours,
T22

14 Likes

Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by tanimola22: 12:38pm On Mar 24, 2012
chuqudy: All these masters and PhD are they for free? If they are free I am very much interested. If not, how much would it actually cost to do MSc and Phd abroad like in Eurasia? I mean the total cost.

Gba be! Take it or leave it, you can study up to any level without having to pay 10Naira. If fact, they will pay you sef.

Eurasia= Europe and Asia? Which course? What is your background like?

1 Like

Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by Mcleo007(m): 12:57pm On Mar 24, 2012
tanimola22:

Gba be! Take it or leave it, you can study up to any level without having to pay 10Naira. If fact, they will pay you sef.

Sire, if this is true and within your know I will be happy to apply. My email ad is still with u I suppose. Thanks

1 Like

Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by Mcleo007(m): 12:59pm On Mar 24, 2012
tanimola22:

Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by tanimola22: 1:24pm On Mar 24, 2012
Mujinho4b: im stil in ma 2nd year, studying education biology.. Bt lecturing job on ma mind, wuld like 2knw u more incase in future i might nid ur help.. Tanks.

Hi,

The key is to signal your intellectual ability to prospective universities. At year 2, start now by trying to score mostly As and Bs and occasional Cs in all of your courses. I know education courses can be very demanding, but just do your very best. If your desire is to become a lecturer, it is not that hard. Universities are being created in Nigeria like water. Just do the right things from now.
Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by tanimola22: 1:37pm On Mar 24, 2012
sunky644: Good job by you guys most especially Tanimola and Pasto405, you really ve the knowledge and correct info to impact. @Pasto405, you can't completely rubbish what we do in Nigeria here as not all Profs and Researchers here are bad belle and local champion. I am currently a Masters student in Nigeria and precisely FUTA, I can boldly tell you my supervisor is one of the best you can think of in this country as he has some of his Masters students with one or two international publications from their research project and presently one of his Ph.D students who is tutoring me and will be awarded the degree this year already have 6(six) international journals published by him. So what more exceptional performance do you need from young upcoming researchers than these? Pls try to appreciate what we ve in Nigeria as we are not all dumb ass.......

Although international publication sure has levels, I must earnestly commend their efforts. It is not that easy to publish when you are based in an environment where people are not fully incentivized to be productively motivated.

I dream to publish in two journals: Journal of Finance and Econometrica ;Dhahaha. Tallest dream, I know.

1 Like

Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by Don1Dee(m): 2:58pm On Mar 24, 2012
tanimola22:

This is very nice, and your preference of wanting to first gather some industry experience in the field of petroleum engineering is almost surely consistent with those of other engineering grads that I know. My friend who studied petroleum engineering had your view, and he luckily landed a job with Total few months after concluding NYSC. He is on 11 Million Naira per annum; so you may want to try your luck there too, when you graduate as a petroleum engineer.

I don't know how higher than 4.6 your GPA currently is, and I also don't know the level you are at the moment (whether 300L, 400L, or even 500L), but I believe, from experience, that it is possible to improve your GPA above what it is now. Try as much as possible to do that. A high GPA is always an advantage. In fact, it would be nice if you could target and achieve 5.00 from now on till you graduate. Trust me, this is very possible. And the good thing about this is that many schools in North America, especially schools in Canada and the US, specifically look at the grades you obtained in your last two years of studies as a way of evaluating your transcript(s). I have seen cases where boundary first guys (4.5-4.55) got very nice offers from top schools around the world because, even though they did not start very well, they had almost 5.00 in the last two years of their studies. Please take note of this, and take advantage of it. I would not have said this if you had already graduated, but I am saying this because you are still an undergrad and you can still make your situation better.

In case, upon graduation, you are not able to secure a very nice job that suits your taste, and you still desire to pursue a Master's in Petroleum Engineering, then I would advise that you take up the graduate research position, preferably work as a research assistant to a prof who is heavy in any research area that interests you, do it for one year and apply to all those top schools around the world. Of course, if you are gunning for the US, you first must have gotten very nice scores on the GRE and TOEFL tests. The reason I suggest working as a research assistant for one year is that the very top engineering schools around the world, such as MIT, Stanford and others, very much value research experience. Again, I have heard of cases where students were accepted into top research schools in the US and elsewhere just because they previously worked as research assistants in very relevant fields. So you may want to take very good advantage of this.

I earnestly believe that you have little to no problems at all. Try to up your already great GPA, take and ace the GRE and TOEFL. For the GRE, I suggest you concentrate more on the quantitative section because this is the area most programs are interested in. Don't kill yourself on the verbal part, although it would be nice if you could make a great score there. I guess someone with your IQ should score nothing less than >94th percentile on the quantitative section, >70th on the verbal section and perhaps >4.5/6 on the analytical writing section( I don't know how well you write, but you can always practice and score well). When you are armed with all these things, make sure you have some money to pay application fees. The application fee for each university in the US can be as high as 60$-100$. At times it can be more sef. However, if you know a prof who is ready to stick his neck out for you, then you escape paying the application fees at some universities. I for one did not have to pay any fees because I was familiar with some profs who aggressively supported my application wink.

The following schools should be your main focus:
Cambridge University: I am not sure if Petroleum Engineering is offered there, but I know they have Chemical Engineering. Also, the Gates Scholarship for very qualified students like you is not bad. You can get it, although the competition is fierce. Four people I know got it; 2 studied Mathematics, the other 2 studied Chemical Engineering. I particularly like Cambridge University because the academic work there is rigorous. You either shape in or shape out! I will not divulge more information than this, which is in fact what you need smiley

Stanford University: A nairalander and one of our proud alumni did his PhD there. It is almost sure that you will land a top oil job in the US soon after your studies at Stanford University. For an instance, the said nairalander (username withheld) is a researcher at Mobil and, from what he has remarked, chances of getting top oil jobs are high after graduate studies at Stanford. The monthly stipend they give to graduate students is usually not bad. You can be a teaching assistant/research assistant, which means you have to teach undergraduates/do research with a prof before you earn the stipend, or you can get a fellowship, which means you don't have to teach nada. All you need to do is sit down and make a high GPA hahahaha. But getting a fellowship can be a pain in some US schools.

MIT: This one is among the best of the best engineering schools around the world, if not the best sef. Do your best to enter this one. This is the more reason why you have to make your GPA as high as possible, get great letters of recommendation from the best profs you can approach, score highly on the standardized tests and generally package your application very well. In my experience, a well packaged application will always not hurt you. I have had some academic opportunities, which other more able and qualified people could not have, simply because I have consistently packaged my applications very well. Use this trick.

Other very excellent schools you should try are Oxford University (UK), University of California at Berkley (US), Texas A&M (US), University of Houston, Caltech (US), Yale (US), Colorado School of Mines (US), TU Delft (Holland----a nairalander who graduated from your school FUTA did his MSc there and afterwards got 3 oil jobs and 6-11 PhD positions. He rejected all PhD positions. cheesy hahahaha. You too can surely achieve the same feat or even better), Manchester (UK), Toronto (Buhari grin),Mc Gill(Canada). In fact, the list goes on. Another strong advice I would like to offer is that you certainly should not apply to only the very top schools. You have to diversify your applications. Endeavor to apply to schools that are not very high up there. You may still get a good offer after your studies. For instance, Louisiana may not be the best university to study your course. However, oil companies have consistently visited the university to recruit graduating students. In the same vein, I have two senior colleagues who completed their fully funded PhD programs at Heriot Watt University. One works for Schlumberger, the other works for Total. Don't look down on some schools.

In my experience, I have found that Nigerian students who graduated tops in oil and gas engineering related programs in the US got more oil job offers than their fellow Nigerian counterparts in the UK. For example, one of the Cambridge guys I earlier spoke about came back to naija after his studies because he was unable to get a juicy job and never applied for any PhD position. Till now, it has not been easy for him to land the big oil job he envisaged. The other one successfully got a place at Shell UK. Many others I know, they had to accept PhD positions in Chemical/Petroleum Engineering because the juicy jobs just weren't forthcoming and they needed to get a steady source of income. A PhD offers that steady source of income for the duration of the PhD program and even beyond. That is why I am an advocate of using a PhD to hedge against one's inability to get a juicy job. Nonetheless, I am sure that you may also give many examples based on your experience in which many UK trained Nigerian graduates got juicy jobs after graduation. There is no one hard and fast rule; nothing is particularly straight.

On a last note, if you desire to get very close to the major oil company in Saudi (Saudi Aramco), if you desire to get into a graduate program that funds your studies without your having to pay for accommodation, bills, taxes, transportation and other utilities, if you are strongly looking to earn about 20k$-30k$/year while studying, without having to spend a dime from this money other than feeding yourself, then look no further than KAUST (Saudi). In my view, and based on my research and information from friends there, KAUST offers the best funding package anyone can ask for. I am yet to see an institution that funds as much and still pays for bills and provides a very nice accommodation for all of its students, all at the same time. However, and very sadly so, the downside to KAUST is that it is relatively new university and has zero track record. You may want to strongly consider this very important shortcoming.

Hope this story story story helps.

Truly yours,
T22

Boss, you are best of a kind.
Can you elaborate on Education PG studies in U.S and Canada like the above? Not all of us will go the oil route! Tnx.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Police Rescue 600 Kano Workers Locked For 3 Months In Rice Factory / My Experience After Working For About Five Years. / Police Women From Countries Worldwide (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 151
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.