Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,579 members, 7,809,098 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:05 PM

How To Start A University Lecturing Career? - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How To Start A University Lecturing Career? (69761 Views)

Rejoinder To When A University Degree No Longer Guarantees A Job / Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University / Lecturing Career. Need Advice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by tanimola22: 8:34pm On Apr 01, 2012
readone1: please i want to get this information on time so that i can plan very well for it, i will be graduating by july trancript wont be ready until then thank you ...please my email address is gentlegenius2000@yahoo.com

Okay gentle genius. I will send you a message.

Meanwhile, open a Dropbox account www.dropbox.com. I want to share some GRE textbooks and preparatory material with you.

4 Likes

Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by doziej84: 12:47pm On Apr 04, 2012
tanimola22:

Okay gentle genius. I will send you a message.

Meanwhile, open a Dropbox account www.dropbox.com. I want to share some GRE textbooks and preparatory material with you.

@tt2, am presently running my msc here in Naija hoping to end dis yr. i intend to write GRE & Toefl dis yr also. and i need materials. ive opened an account with dropbox.
Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by log1(m): 7:38pm On Apr 11, 2012
@who knows tomorrow(T22) and others. Please I want You to compare and contrast thesis based master and a taught master. I have been trying to search for the advantages but to no avail. I heard that those that did thesis based are those wishing to go into academic line and they have slim chance of landing an industrial job compare to a taught master degree. I wish to do taught programme in master degree in petroleum engineering but due to lack of fund I intend going for a thesis based because most time there are funds. Thanks bro.
Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by yemmyma: 10:13am On Apr 12, 2012
log1: @who knows tomorrow(T22) and others. Please I want You to compare and contrast thesis based master and a taught master. I have been trying to search for the advantages but to no avail. I heard that those that did thesis based are those wishing to go into academic line and they have slim chance of landing an industrial job compare to a taught master degree. I wish to do taught programme in master degree in petroleum engineering but due to lack of fund I intend going for a thesis based because most time there are funds. Thanks bro.

Thesis or research based ---> Career in academia
Taught Masters -----> Industry

But then, whether they write research on your degree certificate is another thing. If you know you are interested in academic, a research based masters is the way to go.

The best bet is to get a taught masters programme with a strong research group. That way, you can easily ask to do some research with the faculty if your aim is to have both industry and academic training.

1 Like

Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by tanimola22: 1:56pm On Apr 12, 2012
log1: @who knows tomorrow(T22) and others. Please I want You to compare and contrast thesis based master and a taught master. I have been trying to search for the advantages but to no avail. I heard that those that did thesis based are those wishing to go into academic line and they have slim chance of landing an industrial job compare to a taught master degree. I wish to do taught programme in master degree in petroleum engineering but due to lack of fund I intend going for a thesis based because most time there are funds. Thanks bro.

Hi,

I am not sure if the highlighted claim is true. I know a guy who was invited for assessments by both NNPC and Shell and one other firm, I can't remember now. The guy did a purely research based master's in chemical engineering. I know of another guy who was sponsored by a company to purse a research based master's in petroleum geophysics.

Go for anyone you can get, and make sure your research thesis is very much in line with the industry you are looking to enter. After all, getting a job requires doing well on tests and interviews. I am yet to meet someone who was refused a job because he did a research based master's.

T22.
Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by log1(m): 5:46pm On Apr 15, 2012
Thanks yemmy and T22..
Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by Geomac: 12:27pm On Apr 17, 2012
T22, Pls i need the GRE materials my email is jerokumalo@yahoo.com and i have opened a dropbox account.Thanks
Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by Deprofessional(m): 10:14am On Apr 27, 2012
@ Tanimola22

Please can i have your e-mail. I need your advice on something that bothers me. Thanks
Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by tanimola22: 11:21am On Apr 27, 2012
Deprofessional: @ Tanimola22

Please can i have your e-mail. I need your advice on something that bothers me. Thanks

Yes, you can. It is tanimola22 at yahoo dot com.
Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by Horpehyhemie: 11:04am On Apr 28, 2012
pato405:

I can see a lot of students are really scared of coming to the UK. grin grin grin grin grin grin why is the UK not in your list?

your second coments in red:

infact, I couldn't have said it better. I find it very difficult to accept validity and reliability of any piece of PhD thesis written in Nigeria. I'm really sorry to say but it's the painful truth. it often lacks depth and quality. more often than not, the principles and precepts of the research paradigms are carelessly flung out through academic windows with utmost disregard. angry angry angry angry. original contribution to knowledge = Zero! it's just so frustrating!

1 Like

Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by Horpehyhemie: 11:12am On Apr 28, 2012
Sir, I am an individual that has great passion to impacting knowledge and contributing positively to the upliftment of my immediate environment through research. I'm presently a master degree student in Environmental Microbiology University of Ibadan. I have 11 publications all in international journals (will provide proof if we get personal). I want to be a seasoned researcher at the same time a lecturer. I need your practical advise and your mentorship. Opeyemil@ymail.com
Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by 2boyz: 12:52pm On Jan 06, 2013
Good day all, let me first start by thanking T22 and other contributors for the light I have seen reading your posts. This is 2013 and I wish to start a new career. I have spent almost 8 years in banking and telecommunications combined and over the while written up to 6 papers (2 internationally published and the others in university journals here in 9ja) and obtained a master of science in my field with AWS of 65.39% and have taught part time in two universities over the past. What I intend to know before leaving my current position and job for a full time lecturing job is :
1. Without a PhD ( but with the above qualifications) can I be offered a Lecturer 1 appointment in a university?
2. What is the average salary of a lecturer 1 and 2 presently?
3. How long do I have to be in full time lecturing to access Tetfund (PTF) scholarship to pursue my PHD?

Hope to hear from you soon. Thax all
Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by JagaJaga1: 4:40pm On Jan 07, 2013
The answer to your first question is no. To be very honest what the employers look at is PhD and teaching experience. PhD with no teaching experience is likely to land someone in lecturer 2 and if lucky lecturer 1.

How did you manage to write 6 papers and have 2 published internationally without being in the university system? Did you write them during your masters program?
Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by 2boyz: 9:37am On Jan 08, 2013
@jaga jaga : thx for ur post. Well I believe writing is a talent and best done through practice, reading and consultations. Don't forget I lecture in two universities on part time and relate with seniors, most of my papers were coauthored by PhD holders. I get inspired by issues in my industry and I direct my agreements/ findings around them, while they assist in fine tuning the papers to be acceptable for publication.

I still expect more suggestions in the area of Tetfund though if any Niiaralander has the information.

Thx

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by cfola: 10:02am On Jan 08, 2013
A major challenge with the university teaching system is the lack of dynamism and reality with current trends of the world's educational systems.

A situation an aspiring lecturer still sees himself standing in front of students to provide them classroom teaching is fast getting archaic.

Nowadays, most interactions are done via the Internet, School Intranet and learning portals for the students.

As you aspire to become a classroom lecturer, do not also loose focus on aspiring to become a virtual lecturer.
Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by Admitwithschola: 2:40pm On Jan 08, 2013
Jaga Jaga: The answer to your first question is no. To be very honest what the employers look at is PhD and teaching experience. PhD with no teaching experience is likely to land someone in lecturer 2 and if lucky lecturer 1.

How did you manage to write 6 papers and have 2 published internationally without being in the university system? Did you write them during your masters program?

Nobody will give you lecturer 2 if you have papers published in international journals that rank in the top 5% of your field. With solid, I mean solid, papers in top journals, you will be begged with lecturer 1 or senior lecturer. I know three people like this.. There are so many senior lecturers who can only dream to publish in those journals. The very top universities focus more on research potential and less on teaching potential..Even new PhD holders with publication is high profile journals, are known to earn more than the much older professors who have only managed to publish in average journals. This happens all the time..Schools world over are always looking for people who can add to their desirability. If you're a publisher in top journals, top schools will fight to get school.

My advice for people is that they should do everything possible to publish in the very best journals. I had a 38 year full professor who concluded his PhD at say 28-30. The guy, as you can see, has very little teaching experience but what helped him was his publication. Research trumps teaching any day, any time.
Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by Admitwithschola: 2:49pm On Jan 08, 2013
2boyz: Good day all, let me first start by thanking T22 and other contributors for the light I have seen reading your posts. This is 2013 and I wish to start a new career. I have spent almost 8 years in banking and telecommunications combined and over the while written up to 6 papers (2 internationally published and the others in university journals here in 9ja) and obtained a master of science in my field with AWS of 65.39% and have taught part time in two universities over the past. What I intend to know before leaving my current position and job for a full time lecturing job is :
1. Without a PhD ( but with the above qualifications) can I be offered a Lecturer 1 appointment in a university?
2. What is the average salary of a lecturer 1 and 2 presently?
3. How long do I have to be in full time lecturing to access Tetfund (PTF) scholarship to pursue my PHD?

Hope to hear from you soon. Thax all

Forget school funded scholarships..They will tie you down. Do something that will give you a free will; something that will not tie you down; something that will make you have choices.

Depending on the journals you published the papers, you could be offered assistant lecturer or, at best, lecturer 2 position. You know, Journal of Zimbabwe is also an international journal smiley

I heard average salary for lecturers has headed north, but the exact figure is what I do not know at the current time. If you consult with me personally, I could help you find out as part of the consulting process.

What is your field? Give details.

I am a consultant with deep experience in university runz. I believe I can help you out if you seek my service..Tell me more about yourself, but try as much as possible to not reveal your identity
Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by Admitwithschola: 2:55pm On Jan 08, 2013
2boyz: @jaga jaga : thx for ur post. Well I believe writing is a talent and best done through practice, reading and consultations. Don't forget I lecture in two universities on part time and relate with seniors, most of my papers were coauthored by PhD holders. I get inspired by issues in my industry and I direct my agreements/ findings around them, while they assist in fine tuning the papers to be acceptable for publication.

I still expect more suggestions in the area of Tetfund though if any Niiaralander has the information.

Thx

Also, you may hire my services for much, much lower fees if you agree to get me a part time lecturing job. I have no publication though..

If you like what I am saying, or the service I offer, then reach me on Email: adekanbiabiodun796@yahoo.com and provide all important details about yourself.

You may also arrange to see me in person, just as some nairalanders have done.
Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by Nobody: 12:15pm On Jan 09, 2013
This thread has been inspiring,but I just need to ask a question,are we saying that without a Postgraduate degree from an oversees uni,one can't excel in the academic field here in Naija?
I plan on following a career path in ecademics and lecture in the university,I start my MA soon,here in Nigeria and by God's grace my Phd will follow,if I can afford it,abroad and if not Nigeria,I feel if I put my head down and make the best grades possible that's a step.
Not every1 can afford a uni abroad for now.
Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by Admitwithschola: 1:28pm On Jan 09, 2013
[q[b]uote author=iyabde]This thread has been inspiring,but I just need to ask a question,are we saying that without a Postgraduate degree from an oversees uni,one can't excel in the academic field here in Naija?[/b]
I plan on following a career path in ecademics and lecture in the university,I start my MA soon,here in Nigeria and by God's grace my Phd will follow,if I can afford it,abroad and if not Nigeria,I feel if I put my head down and make the best grades possible that's a step.
Not every1 can afford a uni abroad for now.[/quote]

If the highlighted is a question borne out of your interpretation of the above posts and previous posts, then I fear for you..No insult intended.

The last time I checked, becoming a lecturer in Nigeria required a graduate degree from any recognized institution. In my small mind, any recognized institution could be the University of Zimbabwe, University of Ife, OSU or University of Ibadan..Perhaps things have changed.That would be unfair.

To be very well respected, and to become a full prof as soon as possible, you need to publish in journals that belong to the top 5% of all available journals in your field. This can be a very difficult thing to do, and has remained the dream of many grey-haired individuals who lecture in universities around the globe..

As I said before, I know a 38 year old full professor. If it was by mere teaching experience, I am sure he would have remained a junior assistant professor..But the dude publishes in the very top journals in his field..Everyone knows this is a really hard thing to do, no wonder he became an associate professor at less than 35 years and a full professor at 36...

I am not saying everyone will be like this guy; the guy is obviously a near genius. What I am saying is that aspiring academics should publish, publish, publish and publish in non-mediocre-high-quality and reputable journals..The sky will be your limit.

******I do graduate studies consulting for a fee..Interested individuals should be in touch with me as soon as possible.
Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by yokiti: 2:32pm On Jan 09, 2013
Let me start first by acknowledging the contributions of people like Tanimola22, Pato et. al.; more power and wsidom to you all.

What are the career options as well as Graduate programmes (up to Phd Level) available for a Graduate of Geography and Planning in Nigeria and Abroad? Thanks and God bless you all.
Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by Kazyno: 4:03am On Feb 07, 2013
T22 and pato..g must commend you for doing a great job. Please need you guys to help me out. i just graduated from the dept of environmental protection and management with a 2.1(cgpa-3.6),university of calabar but due to the nature of the programme(i.e non NUC),i'll not be going for nysc.however,i have interest and passion for lecturing though i won't reject an oil company offer(lol).. I just want 2 use this opportunity of not goin for service to pursue my masters in environmental management in uniuyo,..but i was also contemplating running an online masters programme. Pls which one is better?,hw do i go about securing a lecturing job in uniuyo after my masters, also how do you see the course are there any short free courses and training i shud garnish my self with? Tanx
Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by Plshavmercyamen: 2:31pm On Jul 31, 2013
chreld_b: @op, if you finish/finished with a first class you are eligible for automatic employment. If you finished with a 2:1 you are eligible for employment in the academia but you have to have a a godfather or you have to be highly connected. Now you are entering on BSc levet you start of as a graduate assistant. If you have a masters you start of as an assistant lecturer and if you enter with a PhD you start of as at least a lecturer II depending on the amount of publications you have. My personal advice is that if really you have this flare be in contact with your potential senior colleagues and let them know how passionate you are about teaching and research. Also take up a higher degree but not necessarily under them, but keep them in the know. There is nothing that tickles the fancy of a Professor than when he discovers that his prodigee has started teaching him. But be careful about it, never outshine the master. And try and get at least one of your postgraduate degrees outside Noigeria if not you will be just an inbred local scholar. I hope this helps. By the way nice thread.
. If you finish with a 2:2 you are not eligible to be employed in the university academia even if you have a masters. That's the rule. You have to go as far as a Ph.D. Pls can anybody in the know confirm these?
Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by Plshavmercyamen: 2:31pm On Jul 31, 2013
chreld_b: @op, if you finish/finished with a first class you are eligible for automatic employment. If you finished with a 2:1 you are eligible for employment in the academia but you have to have a a godfather or you have to be highly connected. Now you are entering on BSc levet you start of as a graduate assistant. If you have a masters you start of as an assistant lecturer and if you enter with a PhD you start of as at least a lecturer II depending on the amount of publications you have. My personal advice is that if really you have this flare be in contact with your potential senior colleagues and let them know how passionate you are about teaching and research. Also take up a higher degree but not necessarily under them, but keep them in the know. There is nothing that tickles the fancy of a Professor than when he discovers that his prodigee has started teaching him. But be careful about it, never outshine the master. And try and get at least one of your postgraduate degrees outside Noigeria if not you will be just an inbred local scholar. I hope this helps. By the way nice thread.
. If you finish with a 2:2 you are not eligible to be employed in the university academia even if you have a masters. That's the rule. You have to go as far as a Ph.D. Pls can anybody in the know confirm these?
Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by miki2: 9:42am On Jul 12, 2014
I am always happy to see an internet site where meaningful and educative discussion goes on. I will like to contribute a bit to what T22 has spoken about. To become a lecturer with great zest one need an outstanding quality which is very vital in the western world. That quality is the constant widening of one's horizon. I mean constant reading and making of researches... Now concerning studying abroad nowadays, if one wants to studying abroad in English speaking countries one need to write a written test called international english language testing system (IELTS). Most universities in English speaking countries in Europe and America always demand for it as part of the requirement for admission. Check on the internet for more info about IELTS. Now the most pressing issue which made me comment is about writing an article. To write an article or a book demands a lot especially when you are doing it in the field of academic descipline. I will advise that whoever is interested in article writing should ensure that their well of knowledge is dug very deep. What I mean is that their should be enough research and reading done before one should embark on a serious academic article writing. What I myself am doing and I do advise those interested to do likewise is to take one year away from school settings and embark on a personal reading and researches in their respective field of study. This is necessary because it makes you well grounded and rooted in your descipline and you become a professor and a knowledge bank. Learn to always keep yourself abreast with the latest knowledge about your descipline. Finally, I advise that those who wish to study abroad should try schools that are renown in their respective academic field. And I also advise that those interested in studying abroad should solicite for scholarship of different kind. Because it is not cheap studying abroad. It is very expensive due to currency value. There are a lot of NGO's and corporate bodies and even Nigerian/ foreign companies do offer scholarship award. So any one interested should always browse the internet every month. Know thsi that scholarship awarding do close at specific period of the year. Scholarship can be awarded either by the school you wish to study or apply through the organizations that offer the opportunity. My friends who are good economi advise I study in Australia and canada due to easy job opportunity during the vacation or intellectual gymnastic. I am so happy once again to see nigerians interested in intellectual gymnastic. Let's rid our nation of wrong and bad habits of intellectual and educative laziness, and pleasure desire in our fellow young people. God bless our zest for studying..

4 Likes

Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by profemoral(m): 12:00am On Aug 13, 2014
Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by mbeto: 10:22am On Oct 12, 2014
Someone made mention of KAUST, a university in Saudi Arabia.. Pls can someone throw more light on the school. I intend going for an Msc. in geophysics
Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by Bluedahlia: 7:30am On Oct 31, 2014
thank you guys for such inspiring post, I just graduated from a private uni (caritas university. Enugu) with a 4.2 cgpa in microbiology and before the degree had a diploma in applied microbiology still with a 2.1 pass from uniben. am drop dead passionate about lecturing, I really need ur advice on how to achieve this dream. for now I have two publications with my project supervisor. waiting for publication.
Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by careersap: 8:52pm On Nov 05, 2014
[HI Guys! Reinvent your Career with SAP HR,FI,MM, 30k only!!!
Take advantage of our xtra discount on our personalized 2-day End User SAP-HR,FI,MM-training Lagos(B/W 16th & 30Nov 2014) and PH! View our promo at www.dealdey.com, and our websit @ www.careerSap.com
Satisfaction guanteed or money back!

CareeSap Int.
07060490430]
Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by PilotOz(m): 10:48am On Mar 05, 2015
pls advice me... T22 and all.. which of these certificates would put u in a better position of getting a lecturing job? An Msc(ed) Biology. Or Msc Anatomy or Microbiology.. please, which of them has more job openings thanks.
Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by PilotOz(m): 12:33am On Mar 24, 2015
Mujinho4b:
im stil in ma 2nd year, studying education biology.. Bt lecturing job on ma mind, wuld like 2knw u more incase in future i might nid ur help.. Tanks.
U should av graduated by now... still considering lecturing?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

My Experience After Working For About Five Years. / Police Women From Countries Worldwide (photos) / Need Your Assistant ! Motivation Letter For Admission Into Master’s Degree

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.