Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,028 members, 7,807,043 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:52 AM

How To Start A University Lecturing Career? - Career (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How To Start A University Lecturing Career? (69744 Views)

Rejoinder To When A University Degree No Longer Guarantees A Job / Successful Nigerians Who Never Went To A University / Lecturing Career. Need Advice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by Tumikate97(m): 9:10pm On Nov 02, 2016
Big Brothers, I am a final year student of Economics. I want you to advise me on what to do next after the completion of my degree programme. Do I opt for MSc or a direct PhD or even go for ICAN? I earnestly hope you can advise me based on the information provided.

Cc: Battywonder

1 Like

Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by pato405(m): 10:34am On Nov 03, 2016
Tumikate97:
Jarus , Pato405 and Tanimola22

Big Brothers, I am a final year student of Economics with a CGPA of 4.36, yet to resume tho. Making 5.0 GPAs in final two (2) semesters will shoot my CGPA to 4.53. I want you to advise me on what to do next after the completion of my degree programme. Do I opt for MSc or a direct PhD or even go for ICAN? Note that, I have a strong passion for teaching/lecturing and I'd love to be retained in my school. That aside, I'll also love to go abroad on scholarship for my postgraduate studies. I earnestly hope you can advise me based on the information provided.

A step at a time bro. Finish first, then you weigh your options. You seem to have many plans now, but sometimes, having too many plans only lead to confusion.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by Tumikate97(m): 11:31am On Nov 03, 2016
pato405:

A step at a time bro. Finish first, then you weigh your options. You seem to have many plans now, but sometimes, having too many plans only lead to confusion.

Okay, Sir. Thanks a lot.
Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by pato405(m): 1:25pm On Nov 03, 2016
Tumikate97:

Okay, Sir. Thanks a lot.
YWC. You need TOTAL concentration now as you require a perfect GP (5/5). Any little distraction will halt that dream. If I were in your shoes, I won't even have 1 minute for Nairaland. Its time for serious business!!! First class or NOTHING O!

1 Like

Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by omaraji: 8:47pm On Nov 03, 2016
The World of analytics & Modeling as we know it....

Earthlings! a closer look.
Redfox Analytics-- redefining & standardizing the world of modeling, analytics and research with the use of solution engines: SAS, SPSS, Eviews, STATA, Python, R, XLSTAT, Epi-Info, MicroFit and Microsoft Excel forecasting with varying applications in General research, Econometrics, Development Finance, Real Estate Modeling & Financing, Global Markets (currency & fixed income derivative ) analytic. Just maybe this is that golden opportunity to NOT only grow a skill set but to build, innovate and be a problem solver.
Statistical and Survey Analysis
Biostatistics
Quantitative Risk*
Panel Data*
Forecasting
Data Analytics Support*
Financial Regression and Back-testing*
Data Mining*
Advanced Excel Simulation*
Algorithm
Trading & Modeling*
MBA Research guide @the Tip*
Financial Markets*
Please call in for seat reservation and more information.
Date: SPSS (AB) Intensive.
Date: -Session LOS A: Stata (AA) and SPSS (AB)
Session LOS A: SAS (AC2016--Session LOS B: Eviews (BB) -Session LOS C: XLSTAT (CC) and Excel (Advanced & Logical Operations)

- SPSS, Data Manipulation, Mining & Policy (D3M)
Venue: H9B, SR, Abraham Adesanya Estate, Lekki-Ajah, Lagos.

Session duration: 2-day intensive (9hrs)
Course fee (SPSS, Eviews, XLSTAT, Excel): 25,000
Stata and SAS: 25,000 with consulting connect access
R and R studio: 35,000 with developer tools and consulting connect access
Python: 50,000 with developer tools and consulting connect access
Add-ons: software installation/set up, plus video tutorials and dummies.
Kingsley Redfox
kingsleyukwuoma@gmail.com

Hey! You can find me now.
Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by Tumikate97(m): 12:20pm On Nov 04, 2016
pato405:

YWC. You need TOTAL concentration now as you require a perfect GP (5/5). Any little distraction will halt that dream. If I were in your shoes, I won't even have 1 minute for Nairaland. Its time for serious business!!! First class or NOTHING O!

I really appreciate your advice, Sir. By God's grace, it's first class or nothing!!! smiley smiley
Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by Moxiepro: 6:10am On Jan 02, 2017
@pato405 please about Studying in the UK, please could you advice me on how to get fully funded opportunities to do my Phd in the UK , I graduated with a first class honours degree in Agriculture and done with NYSC, I really appreciate , thank you.
Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by pato405(m): 7:40pm On Jan 02, 2017
Moxiepro:
@pato405 please about Studying in the UK, please could you advice me on how to get fully funded opportunities to do my Phd in the UK , I graduated with a first class honours degree in Agriculture and done with NYSC, I really appreciate , thank you.

I got your SMS. PM/text your email address
Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by Moxiepro: 6:13am On Jan 03, 2017
Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by Moxiepro: 6:14am On Jan 03, 2017
pato405:

I got your SMS. PM/text your email address

Here it is @ Pato emmanuelnneji@gmail.com Thanks.
Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by ExamInfo(f): 9:37am On Jan 04, 2017
Hello,
Many people have this question that what is the procedure to be become a Lecturer/ professor?

So here is the answer -

You have to prepare for NET Exams ( CSIR NET or UGC NET ) to get into lectureship field.

The eligibility required to appear in NET Exams is
1. For General Category Candidates: To Apply for Net Exam, candidates must have 55% Aggregate Marks in Master’s Degree.
2. For ST/SC/OBC/PWD Category Candidates: For these candidates the Eligibility criteria is 50% Aggregate Marks in Master’s Degree.
3. Candidates who have Appeared or Appearing (Final Year) for Master’s Degree can apply for this Exam. But they will be eligible after having passed Master’s Degree or Equivalent Degree
Age Limit -

• for the award of Junior Research Fellowship must not age more than 28 years.
• There’s no upper age limit criteria for Assistant Professors.
The difference between UGC NET & CSIR NET is -
Both exams are conducted for the aspirants who are willing to pursue your career further as a Junior Research Fellow or an Assistant Professor. But the difference is in the subjects.

CSIR NET - for Science Students
UGC NET - All other Subject Students ( Commerce/Arts )

• University of grant commission national eligibility test is conducted by the CBSE (Central Board of Secondary Examination).
• Council of Scientific & Industrial Research national eligibility test is conducted by the HRDG (Human Resource Development Group) of csir.

I am science student & I also want to make career in Lectureship So I am taking help from Eduncle.com It is really helpful for me..

Best of Luck
Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by pato405(m): 2:38pm On Jan 05, 2017
Moxiepro:

Here it is @ Pato
emmanuelnneji@gmail.com
Thanks.

Pls check your email. I have just sent you some available/on-going PhD openings. Apply asap & goodluck in your applications.
Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by onojemma: 2:45pm On Jan 05, 2017
B.Sc---Sociology.
PGDE---Post graduate Diploma Education.
M.Ed---Masters in Educational administration and Planning.

PH.d---Educational administration and planning.(in view).

Does one qualify to lecture admin and planning with a qualification above.
Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by Felepumpin(m): 6:40am On Apr 25, 2017
pato405:

Most institutions now insist on a PhD certification before you can start lecturing. Entry point is Lecturer II. It's pretty easy to get into any of the institutions once you have a PhD. The starter pay however is poor...just slightly above 130K. So think again if it's what you really want to do.

Thanks for the reply, How can i apply for masters scholarship abroad? Canada, USA, UK
Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by eddie7: 3:30pm On Apr 25, 2017
Career jobs at Federal University Gashua

Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by preciousnobel(m): 10:18pm On May 01, 2017
pato405:

Boss, any insight on fully funded Phd positions in neuroscience in US and Canada?
Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by calculator123(m): 12:15pm On May 10, 2017
tanimola22:

I have not read your write-up, but I quickly saw two things. One, could you show me where I asked people to choose Naija Universities over UK Universities? How could you quickly conclude that I repudiated UK research programs? Two, have you allowed me finish the article I said I wanted to write about the UK?

In all regard for a fellow researcher, I must say you just committed an error of quick generalization or judgment. I know why I hold the UK not too high there, definitely not because of academic quality. Even my grandmother knows that the worst schools in the UK are superior to Naija schools.

Please let me end and don't say what I never declared.

oga sir,please can i mail you

Thank you,
T22.
Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by calculator123(m): 12:20pm On May 10, 2017
tanimola22:

Lecturing at a Nigerian University is the easiest job to get if you have a PhD. There are too many universities in Naija with MSc holders running things. Go and pursue a PhD. And try to publish papers in quality journals while on the PhD. There is no long story in it.Publishing in good journals will distinguish you from 80% of Nigerian lecturers. In fact, it will make you a researcher as opposed to a mere lecturer. You will be way ahead of your set.

About a PhD, you can do it straight out of BSc if you have an exceptional BSc result. However, if your BSc is normal, then you will have to go for your Master's before starting the PhD. If it is at a university in Naija you want to do the PhD, then you will need to have a minimum of 4.00/5.00 or equivalent in your Master's before you will be accepted. A place like Lag does not joke with this requirement. Anything greater than 3.00 but less than 4.00 would mean that you would have to do an MPhil before starting your PhD. Again, my view is based on Unilag.

If I were you, and I have a minimum of 2.1 or very good 2.2, I would aim for a good Research University abroad. That way, one would broaden one's chances of getting a lecturing/research postion even outside the shores of naija.

What field of research are you interested in? If you are really interested in this lecturing thingy, I suggest you take the GRE and TOEFL, ace them and apply to schools in the US. Depending on how strong your application is, you could apply to the top 20 US universities and be accepted by at least one of them. Forget UK. Other EU countries are even better. I am planning on writing an article on that UK of a country very soon.

Indeed we need people that are interested in lecturing/research to go into the profession. Not people that could not get top oil and gas jobs. Many universities in Naija are filled with people like these. They are the ones that bad belle smart students for no reason. If your desire is indeed genuine, then I wish you all the best.

T22

Oga can i mail you
Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by calculator123(m): 12:25pm On May 10, 2017
Tumikate97:

Big Brothers, I am a final year student of Economics. I want you to advise me on what to do next after the completion of my degree programme. Do I opt for MSc or a direct PhD or even go for ICAN? I earnestly hope you can advise me based on the information provided.

which of the choices have you made
Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by jobbers: 2:58pm On May 10, 2017
great
Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by apitao(m): 5:09pm On May 30, 2017
@pat405
Please is it possible to secure a direct PhD position in the UK with a BSc cgpa of 4.05/5? I'm a Geology graduate from Nigeria. If not Sir, what are my chances over there?

1 Like

Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by AmbodOfLASU: 9:58am On May 31, 2017
Great discussion.

Is Pato and Tanimola22 still available?
Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by CaptainKool15(m): 11:26am On May 31, 2017
Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by Amehsam(m): 5:51pm On Mar 29, 2019
tanimola22:

Lecturing at a Nigerian University is the easiest job to get if you have a PhD. There are too many universities in Naija with MSc holders running things. Go and pursue a PhD. And try to publish papers in quality journals while on the PhD. There is no long story in it.Publishing in good journals will distinguish you from 80% of Nigerian lecturers. In fact, it will make you a researcher as opposed to a mere lecturer. You will be way ahead of your set.

About a PhD, you can do it straight out of BSc if you have an exceptional BSc result. However, if your BSc is normal, then you will have to go for your Master's before starting the PhD. If it is at a university in Naija you want to do the PhD, then you will need to have a minimum of 4.00/5.00 or equivalent in your Master's before you will be accepted. A place like Lag does not joke with this requirement. Anything greater than 3.00 but less than 4.00 would mean that you would have to do an MPhil before starting your PhD. Again, my view is based on Unilag.

If I were you, and I have a minimum of 2.1 or very good 2.2, I would aim for a good Research University abroad. That way, one would broaden one's chances of getting a lecturing/research postion even outside the shores of naija.

What field of research are you interested in? If you are really interested in this lecturing thingy, I suggest you take the GRE and TOEFL, ace them and apply to schools in the US. Depending on how strong your application is, you could apply to the top 20 US universities and be accepted by at least one of them. Forget UK. Other EU countries are even better. I am planning on writing an article on that UK of a country very soon.

Indeed we need people that are interested in lecturing/research to go into the profession. Not people that could not get top oil and gas jobs. Many universities in Naija are filled with people like these. They are the ones that bad belle smart students for no reason. If your desire is indeed genuine, then I wish you all the best.

T22
Well said. Thanks, this really helped. I have this strong passion for teaching as well like the poster and my plan now is to become an outstanding lecturer.

2 Likes

Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by Amehsam(m): 9:14pm On Mar 29, 2019
Christine01:
I read all the posts in this thread and I'm so excited.
I'm a graduate of Biochemistry with a CGPA of 4.42. I'm presently a corp member, will be passing out by june. I wish 2 have my M.Sc & Phd in Biochemistry within the shortest time possible. I really do have a passion to impact knowledge. I've applied for several scholarships abroad as funding is a bit of a challenge and I'm still going to pick a PG form in UI but I do hope I get an offer abroad.
I'll appreciate more scholarship alerts as a foreign degree cannot be matched with a local one. My email is anuanuloveu2@yahoo.com. Thanks.
Nice one ex-corper. I just finished my service and am planning on going further in UI. Pls, how far have u gone now?
Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by haiphy: 9:45am On Mar 30, 2019
Good day
I'm a prospective student about to apply for next unilag academic session @ pgd level
I'll kindly appreciate anyone who can help me with stacks of entrance exams past question in microbiology department
Thanks
Mail @ haiphy4ab@gmail.com
Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by Hassanmaye(m): 6:38pm On Feb 06, 2021
tanimola22:

T22
It's possible to get a lecturing job in Nigeria with a 2.2? Coupled with masters degree
Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by Hassanmaye(m): 6:45pm On Feb 06, 2021
Mcleo007:

I finished with a GP of 4.3 in a state university in the East. Would have been easy to continue my masters there and possibly blend in the academia over there in my alma mater, but I can't leave my current location for that now. I reside in Lagos and prefer it here.
And with your CGPA you can get a lecturing job in the state university
Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by Hassanmaye(m): 7:04pm On Feb 06, 2021
ahamdiheme:
A PhD is definitely the first step. Just like T22 pointed out, I rather obtain a PhD from the US, Australia or Canada. Some of the schools even require that you publish a top journal paper before completion of your PhD. If you have a journal publication(s) it is very likely that you also have top quality conference contributions too. The publications are evidence that you have contributed to knowledge and that is what a lecturer should do. So the number of quality publications you have will boost your chances of being employed as a lecturer any where in the world.

I am presently an Engineering PhD student in Turkey and it is far better than Nigeria. It is possible to do your research under the guidance of a professor who has funding for his research work. Such professors advertise positions like job openings so if you make a nice application, you can get accepted by the professor and most likely by the university as well. The thing to do is, identify a University, then the department, then faculty members. Most faculty members have a webpage where they announce all sort of stuff including open positions in research projects for PhD students (Some even want Masters students as well). The pay is usually just enough, call it a stipend if you like. The good thing is you do not have to pay huge the tuition fees while you do your research.

I am not sure but I do not think we have any internationally recognized journal in Nigeria so a lot of the Nigerian based researchers have publish stuff that are not even good enough for an international conference. I strongly discourage a PhD in Nigeria, an MSc or MA is bad enough! With good grades and a thorough search you can find a good school in Europe or America with funding. Again, funding opportunities in the UK are very limited and the tuition fees are sky high.

I want to continue research but I know it is not far from being a lecturer so I do not mind lecturing either.

I wish you all the best!
Please sir I want to do my masters in that country, I graduated with a 2.2 from a frustrated Nigerian university, can I have a chance to do my masters there?
Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by Hassanmaye(m): 7:06pm On Feb 06, 2021
babeface3:
I graduated from a state university in Nigeria, and currently running my LLM in Europe, I have spoken to a professor at UNILAG concerning a possible lecturing assistance job while I run a PHD in the school and he answered in affirmative. I am wondering how easy and effective this option could be.
Have you graduated with a first class degree because it's tough to get pursue a masters degree in Europe even with 2.1
Re: How To Start A University Lecturing Career? by Hassanmaye(m): 7:10pm On Feb 06, 2021
ahamdiheme:
It is not fear but being real. The UK schools are not bad but why pursue something I have to pay so much for when I can get the same and most times better for free? Please correct me if I wrong but I do not think emphases are made on publishing work in the UK. I know it is three years but again why should I do a PhD, pay so much for it and at the end there is no single publication to my name? I rather spend 4-5 years and come out with top notch publications that will earn me Assistant Prof. upon completion.
How many years is PhD abroad sir?

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

My Experience After Working For About Five Years. / Police Women From Countries Worldwide (photos) / Need Your Assistant ! Motivation Letter For Admission Into Master’s Degree

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.