Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,459 members, 7,808,637 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:35 PM

How Was Your First Year Of Marriage? - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Was Your First Year Of Marriage? (68478 Views)

Married Guys; How Did You Cope During Your First Year In Marriage? / 8 Challenges To Face Your 1st Year Of Marriage / What's The Cost Of Marriage Certificates And Courthouse Marriages In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Was Your First Year Of Marriage? by Theblessed(f): 11:25pm On Mar 23, 2012
[size=18pt]Naturally, first and second year of marriage are usually, blissful for majority of couples however, we must not expect all newly married couples to come out here to disclose some of the pains they endured in their first year experience, must weundecided

Obviously, they won't and if pushed, their response would be ha ha ha - b l i s s f u l!!!!!
[/size]
grin

2 Likes

Re: How Was Your First Year Of Marriage? by ZUBY77(m): 12:04am On Mar 24, 2012
I wonder if i should continue since the thread is supposed to be for a one time post. But marriage is really a massive and beautiful adventure.

DISCLAIMER.

My posts on this thread are works of sarcasm.
I m not married yet.
Do not ask me questions about it.

3 Likes

Re: How Was Your First Year Of Marriage? by Nobody: 3:25am On Mar 24, 2012
andyanders: @rokiatu(
Poster, So when are you getting into one or are you in now? Just find your rib and you will enjoy the process because it takes lots of understudy of yourselves for years. The taste of friendship is not the taste of marriage. Never marry out of sympathy. Money is a vita part of a sweet marriage but must not be why you should go into marriage.

During your first year, its always sweet and after the first child, many men tend to look down on their wife and start having affairs outside and no more ice crem,e cards, sweet talks, conversations and its likes. Lots of things involved in marriage. But to sell through in marriage, be patient, tolerant, ready to have conversation with your partner but never stay in a violent marriage.

Yes dear, I am already married. (hence this thread LOL) Like Jenny said, sharing my space is somehow difficult for me. But I am learning to adjust. I am also someone who used to sleep with my mouth open till the sun comes up. Marriage life is so different to that, I have to become responsible and I mean fast.One of the annoying ways he has is that, he love to wake up so early, because he don't joke with his prayer. and I have no problem with that, but he like to wake me up as well. And I don't joke with my morning sleep. LOL My mother used to always tell me, learn to get up soon darling, I never used to listen to her back then, now na me dey catch am. Not much problem yet, I am just learning that I am not alone anymore, I have to look after someone else as well, share with them etc: All in all, I thank God, my hubby is a very loving one, very understanding, hard working and very patient with me.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Was Your First Year Of Marriage? by Nobody: 3:27am On Mar 24, 2012
ZUBY77: I wonder if i should continue since the thread is supposed to be for a one time post. But marriage is really a massive and beautiful adventure.

Pleaseeeeeee do. You are a character. hahahaha
Re: How Was Your First Year Of Marriage? by GboyegaD(m): 6:06am On Mar 24, 2012
As a child, I have always looked forward to and prayed for the best of conjugal bliss however, I am still scared to the marrows. My older siblings are married and they are enjoying their homes and same with most of my friends. I love my fiancee and it seems she loves me more nevertheless, I just don't know how to fight the fear off my head. I hope to do the needful sometimes next year once she graduates hoping that NMA would not prolong her stay in medical school.
Re: How Was Your First Year Of Marriage? by Nobody: 7:09am On Mar 24, 2012
A̶̲̥̅̊M̶̲̥̅ 24, but readin all urs comment makes ♍ε̲̣̣̣̥ feel both nervous & happy.
Re: How Was Your First Year Of Marriage? by neyostica: 8:09am On Mar 24, 2012
Am in my first year, and it has been hell on earth so far, i married her cos of her beauty, but she has been a pain in d butt, the fact that she hasnt conceived after 7mnths doesnt help d situation either, am thinking of running away

1 Like

Re: How Was Your First Year Of Marriage? by ayobase(m): 8:43am On Mar 24, 2012
neyostica: Am in my first year, and it has been hell on earth so far, i married her cos of her beauty, but she has been a pain in d butt, the fact that she hasnt conceived after 7mnths doesnt help d situation either, am thinking of running away

Where u wan run go?
Never complain abt the issue of child.Leave that to God.
U can make the best out of her...it all depends on ur tactics!

4 Likes

Re: How Was Your First Year Of Marriage? by PeeBee: 9:16am On Mar 24, 2012
ZUBY77: I wonder if i should continue since the thread is supposed to be for a one time post. But marriage is really a massive and beautiful adventure.

Please do, very interesting posts.
Re: How Was Your First Year Of Marriage? by Ninapha(f): 11:19am On Mar 24, 2012
neyostica: Am in my first year, and it has been hell on earth so far, i married her cos of her beauty, but she has been a pain in d butt, the fact that she hasn't conceived after 7mnths doesn't help d situation either, am thinking of running away

As much as one may say, u married for the wrong reason, i must say you can still make the marriage work especially if she too is ready. To control a beautiful woman who also understands that u adore her beauty requires strong will. Stand in and be the man without maltreating her. Pull yourself together and believe in yourself and never make her a God in your inner sense but always care for her needs. When she knows that you are not afraid to loose her she will brace up. As for children God is faithful but remember you need a good environment to bring up children so concentrate on building your home so that when the children come, they would experience love as it ought to be. God bless you.

3 Likes

Re: How Was Your First Year Of Marriage? by CLASSMAN: 12:39pm On Mar 24, 2012
courted for 5yrs and marriage cashed at the 12th month not funny at all

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Was Your First Year Of Marriage? by Tgirl4real(f): 12:47pm On Mar 24, 2012
Me just dey start o so I neva start to count plenty years. smiley

1st year was so much fun at d beginning but the later part was a lot stressful cos I got pregnant almost immediately. Cos I was vomitting, I was always tired. So, it was stressful, doing house chores, working and attending to hubby at d same tym. But d later months, I was much stronger, so had fun in a lil way. Still remembered going to d cinemas with my biggy belle. My stomach was so big my hubby is usually scared to xxxx lol. Twas fun sha @ least I had more time to myself than the 2nd year.

Twas also d year my hubby n I used to discover ourselves. Twas a bit challenging.
Re: How Was Your First Year Of Marriage? by ferhyntorlah(f): 2:28pm On Mar 24, 2012
Agbenyiess:
I will tell her that…lyk I will always say wickedness is not a gift, every human being has a seed of it, but we all chose to work hard and be (good) like God. Before we marry, I knew I could get angry at the slightest provocation and I vow never to hit my wife and I told my wife to help me keep my promise to God and her. And she has been very helpful.

I hear a lot of people complaining about women nagging… it is in women’s nature to talk and God has wired all men to listen... not just with the ear, but the heart men should learn to do that. Adam was careless about that and Satan took advantage if it.

Are you married…I pray that God will help you meet a good man that will bring the best out of you
Not yet but looking forward to it. Thanks to you and everyone for taking time out to drop your comments. It has been an eye opener and lession in wisdom for me.
T H A N K Y O U!
Re: How Was Your First Year Of Marriage? by ferhyntorlah(f): 2:33pm On Mar 24, 2012
Nonybb: EVEN BEFORE GETTING MARRIED I'VE SWORE TO SUCCEED IN ANY MARRIED AM GOING TO GET MY SELF INVOLVED IN. GOD HELP ME, AND THAT WOMAN

That is the Spirit! The mindset one has when entering this institution matters a lot. You will enjoy yours; just dont give up.

2 Likes

Re: How Was Your First Year Of Marriage? by ferhyntorlah(f): 2:47pm On Mar 24, 2012
VALIDATOR: Marriage sweet die ooo.Heaven is already here! First year of marriage gave me a feeling that all those who complained in their marriages were just exaggerating things. Till date I find it difficult to understand what is suppose to be causing problems. When we argue or disagree,it is with 49% frowns and 51% smiles and generally ends with me getting stronger errection and she longer forreplay and deeper orgassm. I learned a long time ago that just when u feel u may raise ur voice to drive home your points you should just lie down and u will see how impossible it is to shout at your spouse (You will have to speak with normal voice.Misunderstandings never degenerate unless u raise your voice).It works for me.
Till date she still complains about me sometimes forgetting to flush the toilet and she hates the sight of shiit (mine inclusive). I just say something like "Ooooh I am so sorry. When next you shiit just retaliate by not flushing.I will come do the flushing and we are even." It always ends in smiles.

Till date,I complain about her many shortcomings but we always end up smiling without raising our voices. If i have another heart I still will give it to her.If I live another life I still will spend it with her.LIFE IS GOOD.

Mr Validator, I too gbadun your comment. I was just LOL as I read them. I have learnt some things from you. I guess as our faces are different, so are our paths and life experiences; some have life rosy, tough and eventful. We all want a happy ending, dont we?

If we want to ENJOY and not endure our marriages, we have to be ready to make it happen. Cheers!

1 Like

Re: How Was Your First Year Of Marriage? by Tgirl4real(f): 3:02pm On Mar 24, 2012
Theblessed: [size=18pt]Naturally, first and second year of marriage are usually, blissful for majority of couples however, we must not expect all newly married couples to come out here to disclose some of the pains they endured in their first year experience, must weundecided

Obviously, they won't and if pushed, their response would be ha ha ha - b l i s s f u l!!!!!
[/size]
grin

heheheehe
true dat.lol
Some things are private to some people.
Re: How Was Your First Year Of Marriage? by ZUBY77(m): 4:46pm On Mar 24, 2012
One day, this beautiful Mrs zuby approached me with some interesting issues. She wanted to know why Igbo people still pay money as bride price. Her major point was that sometimes, it makes her feel like she is enslaved to me. I told her that bride price was a culture long there before we were born, she said that some of the cultures in Igboland should be abolished. I had a vague idea of why she came up with that topic. Her elder brother had suddenly disappeard to nowhere. He was the bone of the family. Her family started to witness financial problems and all of a sudden, i came for her. After our marriage, i got more interested in the affairs of the family and took up almost 95% of their financial problems. I suspected that was the reason why she was crying the other day. I know what people must be thinking or saying but the more i spend for them the more happy i become. As long as the money is there, dont even attempt to blame me.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Was Your First Year Of Marriage? by Aroy: 4:59pm On Mar 24, 2012
Hmmmm,my 1st yr of marriage was really nothing 2 write home about. But thanks 2 my mother,mother in law nd father in law who always taught us dt d first years of marr. was like a toothing problem in children which will definitely be overcome cos its when u learn 2 knw understand each other,learn 2 accomodate inlaws etc.thank God,we r almost 4 yrs in it,nd its getting much easier nd sweeter.

1 Like

Re: How Was Your First Year Of Marriage? by funmeme(f): 5:20pm On Mar 24, 2012
Best thread ever... I'm lookin 4ward τ̅☺ the day i'll share my experience. God pls help ‎​♍Ƹ.
Re: How Was Your First Year Of Marriage? by Nobody: 5:51pm On Mar 24, 2012
ZUBY77: One day, this beautiful Mrs zuby approached me with some interesting issues. She wanted to know why Igbo people still pay money as bride price. Her major point was that sometimes, it makes her fell like she is enslaved to me. I told her that bride price was a culture long there before we were born, she said that some of the cultures in Igboland should be abolished. I had a vague idea of why she came up with that topic. Her brother had elder suddenly disappeard tpo nowhere. He was the bone of the family. Her family started to witness financial problems and all of a sudden, i came for her. After our marriage, i got more interested in the affairs of the family and took up almost 95% of their financial problems. I suspected that was the reason why she was crying the other day. I know what people must be thinking or saying but the more i spend for them the more happy i become. As long as the money is there, dont even attempt to blame me

Open a thread for ur marriage diary. Not everyone gives a fukkk about knowing how u run ur home with ur wife.This is a mature thread abt the challenges of marriage. Imagine if everyone here was boring us with their tales, the thread would have been croaked by now.
Dnt take it personal, just stop boring us so we can read other meaningful experiences. Ur first post was good and enlightening, quit while u are still being applauded.

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Was Your First Year Of Marriage? by Nobody: 5:53pm On Mar 24, 2012
My baby wants to discuss every single thing. Every thing can be sorted out through communication she always says. Me, i'm the quiet type and dnt enjoy talking so much. She claims she is being neglected. Dat is our major issue.
Re: How Was Your First Year Of Marriage? by Nobody: 6:59pm On Mar 24, 2012
Gaggi: My baby wants to discuss every single thing. Every thing can be sorted out through communication she always says. Me, i'm the quiet type and dnt enjoy talking so much. She claims she is being neglected. Dat is our major issue.

From experience, my advice would be to take that complaint very seriously.

3 Likes

Re: How Was Your First Year Of Marriage? by Nobody: 7:07pm On Mar 24, 2012
davidylan:

From experience, my advice would be to take that complaint very seriously.

Thnks, i'm working on it. Just that if i dnt talk for 10 mins she wants to knw whats on my mind. If i say nothing is on my mind, she doesn't believe and claims i'm not being open. She wants to discuss every single thing. It's frustrating sometimes. Sometimes a man needs to think and clear his head alone. Haba

6 Likes

Re: How Was Your First Year Of Marriage? by MissIfe(f): 7:17pm On Mar 24, 2012
Gaggi:

Thnks, i'm working on it. Just that if i dnt talk for 10 mins she wants to knw whats on my mind. If i say nothing is on my mind, she doesn't believe and claims i'm not being open. She wants to discuss every single thing. It's frustrating sometimes. Sometimes a man needs to think and clear his head alone. Haba

Make her talk instead. Ask her what she thinks about this or that, tell her you were thinking about changing the room style, maybe a new color for the pillows, something like that. That should make her talk, then just ask questions to show interest/make her explain. We women like to talk about every details of things. Ask her about her day, where she bought her new dress, what can you wear tomorrow.

I guess this is the kind of small talk that will make her happy, and she might not think about talking and talking again about more annoying issues.

Trust me, small talk is important.

4 Likes

Re: How Was Your First Year Of Marriage? by Nobody: 7:34pm On Mar 24, 2012
Miss_Ife:

Make her talk instead. Ask her what she thinks about this or that, tell her you were thinking about changing the room style, maybe a new color for the pillows, something like that. That should make her talk, then just ask questions to show interest/make her explain. We women like to talk about every details of things. Ask her about her day, where she bought her new dress, what can you wear tomorrow.

I guess this is the kind of small talk that will make her happy, and she might not think about talking and talking again about more annoying issues.

Trust me, small talk is important.

Thnks ma'am. wink

1 Like

Re: How Was Your First Year Of Marriage? by ZUBY77(m): 7:37pm On Mar 24, 2012
Gaggi:

Open a thread for ur marriage diary. Not everyone gives a fukkk about knowing how u run ur home with ur wife.This is a mature thread abt the challenges of marriage. Imagine if everyone here was boring us with their tales, the thread would have been croaked by now.
Dnt take it personal, just stop boring us so we can read other meaningful experiences. Ur first post was good and enlightening, quit while u are still being applauded.

Actually you are right. I felt the same way and i asked whether i should continue or not. Thanks.

14 Likes

Re: How Was Your First Year Of Marriage? by Nobody: 7:40pm On Mar 24, 2012
My own wasn't eazy. Had to be there for her always as she used to fall ill alot then because of the stress of pregnancy. Thank God all is better now. So far it has been blissful.

1 Like

Re: How Was Your First Year Of Marriage? by Nobody: 7:42pm On Mar 24, 2012
ZUBY77:

Actually you are right. I felt the same way and i asked whether i should continue or not. Thanks.

Sorry if i was harsh. Thnks for ur mature reply. wink Just open a new thread dats all.

2 Likes

Re: How Was Your First Year Of Marriage? by MissIfe(f): 7:44pm On Mar 24, 2012
Gaggi:

Thnks ma'am. wink

U're welcome. I love talking and I'm married to an introvert, so i know what I'm talking about wink

Keep up the good work and enjoy your marriage smiley

1 Like

Re: How Was Your First Year Of Marriage? by Nobody: 8:57pm On Mar 24, 2012
Talking about communication, it's sooo important to us women. I'm married to a super introvert. Don't even know what the attraction was then. But I did love him and he me. We started out as friends, courted for 3yrs, both matured age wise. However, we did not reckon with marriage being a whole lot different than courtship. First year was ok. Not much incidence, got pregnant immediately, money was not a problem, so resigned from my stressful job. We had our differences, my husband made it bearable, cos he was always the first to apologize; we got on well enough. Until our second year, and with a second baby; That was when I personally went to invite trouble to my home. I am from a family where you see everyone like yourself, no enemies anywhere; I was very naive. I felt the need to help some of my husband's indigent family members, even invited a couple into my home to be sent to school. Next I invited my mum-in-law, whom I had a fantastic relationship with from the start. Before I could fully understand the enormity of what I was doing, there was tsunami size wahala in my home. The peace that once existed flew out the windows; communication between I and my hubby, that was not always so great, became non-existent. My once innocent home became a war front. All these went on for years, until the 7th year when gradually, my 'visitors' started leaving one after the other. In fact, that became the very first time my husband and I started living alone, after 8years of marriage!

It was really all so bad, and worse was, it was all so unnecessary! My stupidity and naivety got me into trouble indeed. Because my husband and I could have very well lived and grown together alone from the start, away from the watchful eyes of relatives. Anyways, we survived it all, and with all the problems, came a new maturity and understanding, love, respect, appreciation. For the first time, my husband began to show true appreciation for me; there were a lot of unnecessary grudges, mostly from me, cos I felt hurt that I poured out my heart to love people I had no business even relating with, but it all turned sour, not because I wasn't genuine, but somehow, my intentions were all misconstrued. Today, we are a happier couple. We live alone, with our two children. We've come a long way. We have great communication today. We talk about everything, his work, my work, our faith, everything. For the first time, I hear my husband pray for me during our prayer time, for God's blessings over me for standing by him all these years. I tell you, that's a big one, cos I never believed he could ever know, not to talk of actually acknowledging my usefulness in his life.

Our home is once again filled with love, passion, peace, and our children are the better for it. This is our 13th year, and I can't stop thanking God for restoring my home.

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Was Your First Year Of Marriage? by Nobody: 9:44pm On Mar 24, 2012
It is well!

1 Like

Re: How Was Your First Year Of Marriage? by serenegroup(m): 9:51pm On Mar 24, 2012
With wat i am reading here am encouraged. There is hope for we the unmarried. it is well o

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Nasarawa: Man Commits Suicide, Wife Reveals Their Child Was Fathered By Stranger / Pastor Joshua Ajagunigbala Divorces Wife As Herbalist Dies On Top Of Her / My 1st Daughter Saw Her 1st Period Today & She’s Been Crying All Day - Doctor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.