Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,975 members, 7,806,835 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:15 AM

Human Anatomy & Physiology Graduates: Lets Meet Here - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Human Anatomy & Physiology Graduates: Lets Meet Here (160298 Views)

Anatomy?,physiology?,or Medical Biochem? HELP!!! / **New**Opportunity for PHYSIOLOGY ,HUMAN ANATOMY and other BSc Graduates / Physics Graduates: Lets Meet Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Human Anatomy & Physiology Graduates: Lets Meet Here by Madeu(m): 4:04pm On May 22, 2012
Physiology society of nigeria, will be having their annual meeting at ibadan, by august 2012. Its so painful after cracking your brain, you graduated with a bsc in physiology or anatomy, you can't see good work with your bsc. What is left for you is to either go for msc(and hope you get a private university to work), or mbbs, or you go to other sector(after 4 or 5 years of severe studying) for work.
Re: Human Anatomy & Physiology Graduates: Lets Meet Here by tpia5: 6:07pm On May 22, 2012
why not just go for a medical degree?

doesnt hurt in the long run.

the late dr majekodunmi, one of the first doctors in nigeria, majored in anatomy as an undergraduate.

1 Like

Re: Human Anatomy & Physiology Graduates: Lets Meet Here by tpia5: 6:10pm On May 22, 2012
menek: yea! That's in a normal setting but in Nigeria the reverse is the case. I can't remember seeing physiologist advert besides lecturing. It is a challenge that we all most confront to change d status quo for others coming

true, it would probably be hard getting a non-teaching job in the field, and most graduates would probably need further studies, but i think medicine would also be a good option.
Re: Human Anatomy & Physiology Graduates: Lets Meet Here by Madeu(m): 6:33pm On May 22, 2012
tpia@:

true, it would probably be hard getting a non-teaching job in the field, and most graduates would probably need further studies, but i think medicine would also be a good option.

easier said. Don't u think we nt consider it?
Re: Human Anatomy & Physiology Graduates: Lets Meet Here by tpia5: 6:46pm On May 22, 2012
^explain?

i think with a first degree, you'd get into direct entry level medicine.

or is it the rigours of med school that you're referring to?
Re: Human Anatomy & Physiology Graduates: Lets Meet Here by Madeu(m): 10:20pm On May 22, 2012
tpia@:
^explain?

i think with a first degree, you'd get into direct entry level medicine.

or is it the rigours of med school that you're referring to?
we had the same experience during pre-clinical stage.
Getting a DE to clinical stage thats what NUC ought to look into. Also it should be unified. Or what our senior lecturer once told us that, the first time they were trying to make basic medical science courses in nigeria i.e anatomy, physiology, biochemistry, pathology as a first degree program, pathology council didnt accept pathology should be offered at graduate level rather it should be done at post-graduate level.
Is either BMS should be an entry level to study medicine and surgery straight to clinicals or BMS should be done at post-grad level,or they should improve on the curriculum(cos uni of pretoria SA added biotechnology, genetics among the courses therefore under the dept of biotechnology). We need to start addressing it fast, not just among our self but taking it to the street (so that their won't be flood of BMS graduate not using what they learnt in sch and doing other things, cos there is dearth in nigeria health sector). even when we were in our final level, most of us didnt ve any idea abt job opportunity with a degree in anatomy or physiology, all we knew was that, its either u go for a post-grad courses in the same field and pray for a private uni to give an employment as an assistant lecturer(most fed uni dnt) or work in any research establish(u knw that nigeria medical reseacrh is either zero or nothing to talk abt),

3 Likes

Re: Human Anatomy & Physiology Graduates: Lets Meet Here by tpia5: 11:18am On May 23, 2012
I just checked the ABU website and they listed the requirements for graduates of anatomy who want to study medicine. Will post the link later.
Re: Human Anatomy & Physiology Graduates: Lets Meet Here by tpia5: 11:21am On May 23, 2012
Not sure if other universities offer the same, but i'll try to find out if the ones i know, do. I agree there should be a central body or organization for A&P graduates though.

1 Like

Re: Human Anatomy & Physiology Graduates: Lets Meet Here by tpia5: 3:52am On May 24, 2012
for some reason, couldnt find the relevant ABU page.

will check again when i have some time.

cant remember how i found the info.
Re: Human Anatomy & Physiology Graduates: Lets Meet Here by Madeu(m): 11:49pm On May 24, 2012
tpia@:
for some reason, couldnt find the relevant ABU page.

will check again when i have some time.

cant remember how i found the info.
u don try.
Re: Human Anatomy & Physiology Graduates: Lets Meet Here by lirerih(m): 8:18am On Jun 14, 2012
I actually would advocate that the MDCN should make it a rule for "willing" graduates with a "good" first degree in the BMS (Anatomy, Biochemistry & Physiology) to be admitted into the MBBS/MBChB program directly into the clinical session (i.e., yrs 4-6) without passing through JAMB DE again, just the way post-graduate admissions are made. This I recommend because I can't really find any meaningfull difference between what we study as BMS students and what the med guys did in their pre-clinical years.
It would go a long way to help us out... What do you think, guys?

8 Likes

Re: Human Anatomy & Physiology Graduates: Lets Meet Here by Liverpoolfc(m): 6:30pm On Jun 23, 2012
I really like the way BMS graduates are responding. I believe wt this, we will make a good change in the faculty. I have presented the issue to my formal school (AAU) and i want u to do the same.
Re: Human Anatomy & Physiology Graduates: Lets Meet Here by peetash(m): 12:35pm On Aug 06, 2012
Doing M.sc in other courses won't give u the job opportunities in those fields. I'm also a graduate of physiology. Advise so far from people is just to obtain a jamb form. I holistically studied bms as a whole. Pharmacology, physiology, biochemistry, anatomy, medical microb, pathology, up to 400l when I had to add a full year to graduate with bsc. physiology. I know more than my certificate presents but, who can believe that? Who will permit you to explain? 4yr course on ma certificate and 6 years in d university with serious lectures and exams. At a time, we had to pay 110,000 for laboratory and other irrelevant expenses. We need a freedom

2 Likes

Re: Human Anatomy & Physiology Graduates: Lets Meet Here by yamakuza: 5:53pm On Aug 06, 2012
^ u mean get a 2nd JAMB form to spend another 6yrs after the first 4 to 6 yrs?

Why not just branch out into other fields on graduation?

1 Like

Re: Human Anatomy & Physiology Graduates: Lets Meet Here by barikay: 5:30pm On Sep 07, 2012
yamakuza: ^ u mean get a 2nd JAMB form to spend another 6yrs after the first 4 to 6 yrs?

can u imagine that? what if u are from a poor home and your parent had labour so hard to train u for 4yrs and were expectant. On graduation instead of job u then come home again to say papa "I want to buy another jamb form" for another 4 or 5yrs. Stil imagining d pain. Shai ! See hw naija is frustratin these young minds

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Human Anatomy & Physiology Graduates: Lets Meet Here by peetash(m): 4:23pm On Sep 08, 2012
yamakuza: ^ u mean get a 2nd JAMB form to spend another 6yrs after the first 4 to 6 yrs?

Ɣε̲̣̣̣̥§. I really want to. I won't mind. I just need to study medicine. If anyone here can help me out. Any institution, anywhere. I'll be going for service this nov. But, that can't just limit me. Either direct entry or utme. I don't wanna go back to ma former school.
Re: Human Anatomy & Physiology Graduates: Lets Meet Here by Oracles: 9:44pm On Sep 08, 2012
my question is what can a graduate of zoology do? Any readily available job for them also. It is high time we begin to think on what we can do with this physiology. Necessity they say is the mother of invention. Waiting for the government may not be the magic!
Re: Human Anatomy & Physiology Graduates: Lets Meet Here by Alaafialoro(m): 11:05pm On Sep 08, 2012
If graduates of these courses are lamenting so hard like this,I wonder what awaits those that will graduate soon.. I believe graduates shd not just sit down & wait for government to do something abt it,we shd take our destinies in our hands & as well help the coming generation not to make the same mistake. If jobs wouldn‘t be available for graduates of these courses,then these courses should be done away with or atleast not awarding degrees to any students. I believe we can change the situation if we‘re determined to do so.
Re: Human Anatomy & Physiology Graduates: Lets Meet Here by peetash(m): 3:35pm On Sep 09, 2012
Oracles: my question is what can a graduate of zoology do? Any readily available job for them also. It is high time we begin to think on what we can do with this physiology. Necessity they say is the mother of invention. Waiting for the government may not be the magic!

With the creation of new institutions, there ɪ̣̝̇ℓℓ be more zoos. So a zoologist can have a direct employment. Here, we are discussing on bms. The only thing that can keep food on ur table in a country like naija is creativity. When last did u hear of any reasonable mass employment? Apart from oyes and yeso. lol. In naija, health sector now has been muddled up. Where an auxiliary nurse can even operate, a pharmacist can inject and prescribe drugs, where a med doctor now dispense drugs, in d country where a nurse can perform all these activities. Where can our bms fit in? Should we also go for 2years training and be a quack?
Re: Human Anatomy & Physiology Graduates: Lets Meet Here by Oracles: 12:47am On Sep 10, 2012
peetash:

With the creation of new institutions, there ɪ̣̝̇ℓℓ be more zoos. So a zoologist can have a direct employment. Here, we are discussing on bms. The only thing that can keep food on ur table in a country like naija is creativity. When last did u hear of any reasonable mass employment? Apart from oyes and yeso. lol. In naija, health sector now has been muddled up. Where an auxiliary nurse can even operate, a pharmacist can inject and prescribe drugs, where a med doctor now dispense drugs, in d country where a nurse can perform all these activities. Where can our bms fit in? Should we also go for 2years training and be a quack?

Zoos? lol! This issue is not perculiar to BMS alone, and that is what i was try to say. Even medical doctors find it difficult to get housejob. Some manage on shift job, no wonder they also want to teach in the BMS. however, we can't rule out the plight of those in BMS. E go beta!
Re: Human Anatomy & Physiology Graduates: Lets Meet Here by Liverpoolfc(m): 9:59pm On Sep 10, 2012
One thing about bms is that they are to qualify to do some jobs( eg @ present, i am a part time teacher in federal science sch, in dt sch, we also hv a pharmacologist taking chemistry while i am i physiologist taking biology. If i am explaining biology, i dnt even knw where to stop) and under qualify in dt we are nt allowed to do some jobs in the hospital. The last aptitude test i did, it was nt easy, i am sick and tired of dragnet GSE test. I know that i am not dull, but out there, they want to make me believe i am too dull, God forbid. When and how will all this end?
Re: Human Anatomy & Physiology Graduates: Lets Meet Here by Nobody: 1:59pm On Sep 12, 2012
Your options are limited. Either lecture, set up your physio center or go back and do medicine.
Re: Human Anatomy & Physiology Graduates: Lets Meet Here by femijck(m): 3:40pm On Sep 13, 2012
Im so glad that i finally came across this topic..im a final yr stdnt of physiology in one of d reputable univ in nigeria...see guys i wil nt want to say evil to myself wud av luv to xpress myself fully...i knw God has a plan fr me but studying physiology is one of my regret coz my parent suffered to giv me this edu..bt nw c me in a field i can't even proof or showcase my talent to anybody..im considering writing the nxt JAMB and startn MBBS again or just traveln abroad and start my huzzling career guys plz wat do u tink plz im d most confused man on earth now..i cn't tink for myself coz age is nt on my side and also being d first child u knw wat i mean plz..plz letz be candid wit our opinion this nt a trend for joke..plz we need to do somtin fast.
Re: Human Anatomy & Physiology Graduates: Lets Meet Here by Liverpoolfc(m): 9:51am On Sep 14, 2012
femijck: Im so glad that i finally came across this topic..im a final yr stdnt of physiology in one of d reputable univ in nigeria...see guys i wil nt want to say evil to myself wud av luv to xpress myself fully...i knw God has a plan fr me but studying physiology is one of my regret coz my parent suffered to giv me this edu..bt nw c me in a field i can't even proof or showcase my talent to anybody..im considering writing the nxt JAMB and startn MBBS again or just traveln abroad and start my huzzling career guys plz wat do u tink plz im d most confused man on earth now..i cn't tink for myself coz age is nt on my side and also being d first child u knw wat i mean plz..plz letz be candid wit our opinion this nt a trend for joke..plz we need to do somtin fast.
i am a graduate of physiology too, and also the first son of the family. Writing another jamb MBA, it is not advisable. Go for service, pls, try and read ur pharmacology very well, u will definitely get a gud job in pharmaceutical company. Now, even getting job with mbbs is not guaranteed in FG and state hospitals except in privates.. 9ja is basical "WHO U KNW" my friend was asked to get a letter frm a senator after spending 6yrs in medical sch.

1 Like

Re: Human Anatomy & Physiology Graduates: Lets Meet Here by Alaafialoro(m): 10:52am On Sep 14, 2012
^^^^
Re: Human Anatomy & Physiology Graduates: Lets Meet Here by Alaafialoro(m): 10:53am On Sep 14, 2012
^^^^ I m in the same situation,but writing another jamb is almost impossible because to spend another 4yrs or so in school for mbbs will b too much for me,besides age is not on anybody‘s side. Let‘s just hope&work for the best.
Re: Human Anatomy & Physiology Graduates: Lets Meet Here by Olucheye(m): 2:05pm On Sep 16, 2012
House, nice conversation so far. I finished from Human anatomy, and all along I've been seeking answers to the prospects of anatomy, physiology and co in the labor market and sadly I've found none, save been a lecturer or re-enroll to go MD all over again. But one question keeps coming to my kind, have we even given thought to building ourselves in another career path? Not every one who see as been great started from that same line of study. Let's go get certificates and additional degrees in our areas of Intrest and I say we can challenge those who have been there.

My thoughts please... If you have any ideas, please don't hesitate to post on it the thread. Great day house

2 Likes

Re: Human Anatomy & Physiology Graduates: Lets Meet Here by luchilite(f): 12:19pm On Sep 19, 2012
howdy y'all which uni in niga offers a pgd course in pathology esp 'anatomic pathology' seriously interestd in it graduatd wit a proud 3rd class in human anatomy pls help!!!
Re: Human Anatomy & Physiology Graduates: Lets Meet Here by Santi222(m): 10:20am On Sep 21, 2012
Things are looking cold..
Re: Human Anatomy & Physiology Graduates: Lets Meet Here by tipsyking: 7:40am On Sep 23, 2012
Just got admission into unical to study physiology. First I was excited but not anymore, what's the point of spending hard 4 years of reading without getting recognised in your field or getting a job? I pray God intervene for us!

1 Like

Re: Human Anatomy & Physiology Graduates: Lets Meet Here by Liverpoolfc(m): 1:02pm On Sep 23, 2012
tipsy_king: Just got admission into unical to study physiology. First I was excited but not anymore, what's the point of spending hard 4 years of reading without getting recognised in your field or getting a job? I pray God intervene for us!
dont be discouraged. David encouraged himself in the lord.

1 Like

Re: Human Anatomy & Physiology Graduates: Lets Meet Here by Nobody: 1:31am On Sep 24, 2012
sparkle2k3: @budyke
Going back for mbbs all depends on the school policy. In my sch,a bms graduate with and upper division degree gets direct entry into mbbs from 300level and its just to write the mb and move to 400level,you don't do the 300level from begining. And you do 2instead of 3 courses in the mb. You don't get to do the course you hold a degree in in the exam.
I grad from physio so in the mb all I did was anat and bch.
But all that changed last year,all ◦ †нªηк'§ ◦ to nuc wen they withdrew the sch license for over admitting.
But some other schs still take direct entry.

@the topic--- the way forward in my opinion is to restructure the bms programme and create job opportunities in the health sector for their graduates.
what school is dat please

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

Enquiries: Chartered Institute Of Personnel Management [CIPM] Membership / Nigerian Army Direct Short Service Commission (DSSC) Out. Register Online / Oil Workers Zone.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.