Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,943 members, 7,806,725 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:56 PM

Random Acts Of Kindness (Africa) - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Random Acts Of Kindness (Africa) (8005 Views)

10 Silly Acts By Whites That Blacks See As Civilization / 30 Random Facts About Africa / 5 Ways To Spread Kindness. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Random Acts Of Kindness (Africa) by naptu2: 9:52pm On Mar 23, 2012
[size=14pt]Random Acts of Kindness (Lagos, Nigeria)[/size]

Random Acts of Kindness is set up to show kindness to the less privileged in our society. We invite our friends, relatives and associates and the public in general to join us in our monthly visitation to orphanages, old peoples homes, etc. At such visitations we donate items to the children/elderly, keep them company and show them love. You can join us too. Time, date & venue of our events will be published here ahead of time.

Even if you are unable to join us for our events, you can still make a difference by donating items such as toys, food (bags of rice, cartons of noodles, cereals, etc), drinks, toiletries (pampers, toilet rolls, etc), used clothes, etc (please do not donate cash). For details on how to make donations, contact us via the following address randomactsofkindnessng@gmail.com

Pls click on this link (from your computer) http://www.facebook.com/pages/Random-Acts-of-Kindness/205070749570573 or this link (from your phone) http://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=205070749570573&refid=5 to get to the Random Acts of Kindness facebook page. Don't 4get to "like" the page smiley

Re: Random Acts Of Kindness (Africa) by naptu2: 7:27am On Mar 24, 2012
On October 29th, 2011, Random Acts of Kindness visited the Motherless Babies Home, 2 Makoko Road, Yaba. We brought gifts for the kids, played with them and made them feel loved. You can see pictures of the event on our facebook page.

Re: Random Acts Of Kindness (Africa) by naptu2: 11:00am On Mar 24, 2012
November's Random Acts of Kindness was for children with autism. It held at the Modupe Cole Memorial Child Care and Treatment Centre, St Finbarr's College Road, Akoka, Yaba on the 27th of November, 2011.

As usual, guests brought gifts for the residents of the centre and were shown round the centre.

Guests purchased items that were made by residents of the centre. You can see pictures of the items below and even more pictures on our facebook page. You can also purchase items at the centre (St Finbarr's College Road, Yaba).

Guests were also introduced to Toma, a wheelchair bound resident of the centre who is a gifted artist and is seeking admission into the university. You can see pictures of Toma below and on our facebook page.

Re: Random Acts Of Kindness (Africa) by naptu2: 11:07am On Mar 24, 2012
Items for sale @ Modupe Cole Child Care and Treatment Centre include beads, footwear (sandals, shoes, slippers), kitchen utensils (mops, ladles, rolling pins, etc), pillows, baskets, chains, etc.

Re: Random Acts Of Kindness (Africa) by naptu2: 12:59pm On Mar 24, 2012
December's Random Acts of Kindness was a double header. We had christmas parties at both the Motherless Babies Home, 2 Makoko Road Yaba and Modupe Cole Memorial Child Care and Treatment Centre, St Finbarr's College Road, Yaba.

As usual, we brought gifts for the residents of these homes and showed them love.

Re: Random Acts Of Kindness (Africa) by ifyalways(f): 2:19pm On Mar 24, 2012
Lovely and encouraging.

God bless every one of you guys.
Re: Random Acts Of Kindness (Africa) by naptu2: 3:09pm On Mar 24, 2012
Thanks very much Ify.

On sunday 12 February we had Valentine's with the "destitutes" @ "The Destitutes Home", 28 Okobaba Street Ebute Metta.

As usual, we brought food, drinks and gifts for the residents, although this time we focussed primarily on the kids.

Re: Random Acts Of Kindness (Africa) by naptu2: 3:17pm On Mar 24, 2012
There are more pictures on our facebook page. Don't forget to like the page.

Re: Random Acts Of Kindness (Africa) by naptu2: 10:55am On Mar 26, 2012
The Fire

A couple, whom we shall call John and Mary, had a nice home and two lovely children, a boy and a girl. John had a good job and had just been asked to go on a business trip to another city and would be gone for several days. It was decided that Mary needed an outing and would go along too. They hired a reliable woman to care for the children and made the trip, returning home a little earlier than they had planned.

As they drove into their home town feeling glad to be back, they noticed smoke, and they went off their usual route to see what it was. They found a home in flames. Mary said, "Oh well it isn't our fire, let's go home."

But John drove closer and exclaimed, "That home belongs to Fred Jones who works at the plant. He wouldn't be off work yet, maybe there is something we could do." "It has nothing to do with us." Protested Mary. "You have your good clothes on lets not get any closer."

But John drove up and stopped and they were both horror stricken to see the whole house in flames. A woman on the lawn was in hysterics screaming, "The children! Get the children!" John grabbed her by the shoulder saying, "Get a hold of yourself and tell us where the children are!" "In the basement," sobbed the woman, "down the hall and to the left."

In spite of Mary's protests John grabbed the water hose and soaked his clothes, put his wet handkerchief on his head and bolted for the basement which was full of smoke and scorching hot. He found the door and grabbed two children, holding one under each arm like the football player he was. As he left he could hear some more whimpering. He delivered the two badly frightened and nearly suffocated children into waiting arms and filled his lungs with fresh air and started back asking how many more children were down there. They told him two more and Mary grabbed his arm and screamed, "John! Don't go back! It's suicide! That house will cave in any second!"

But he shook her off and went back by feeling his way down the smoke filled hallway and into the room. It seemed an eternity before he found both children and started back. They were all three coughing and he stooped low to get what available air he could. As he stumbled up the endless steps the thought went through his mind that there was something strangely familiar about the little bodies clinging to him, and at last when they came out into the sunlight and fresh air, he found that he had just rescued his own children.

The baby-sitter had left them at this home while she did some shopping.

BE CONCERNED. BE SENSITIVE. BE SELFLESS. Have a nice day! smiley

1 Like

Re: Random Acts Of Kindness (Africa) by naptu2: 11:13pm On Mar 26, 2012
When you see geese, flying in a "V" formation, you might consider what science has discovered as to why they fly that way. As each bird flaps its wings, it creates an uplift for the bird immediately following. By flying in a "V" formation, the whole flock adds at least 71 percent greater flying range than if each bird flew on its own.

People who share a common direction and sense of community can get where they are going more quickly and easily, because they are travelling on the thrust of one another.

When a goose falls out of formation, it suddenly feels the drag and resistance of trying to go it alone and quickly gets back into formation to take advantage of the lifting power of the bird in front.

If we have the sense of a goose, we will stay in formation with those people who are heading the same way we are.

When the head goose gets tired, it rotates back in the wing and another goose flies point. It is sensible to take turns doing demanding jobs, whether with people or with geese flying south.

Geese honk from behind to encourage those up front to keep up their speed. What message do we intend to give when, in traffic, we honk from behind?

Finally - and this is important - when a goose gets sick or is wounded by gunshot, and falls out of the formation, two other geese fall out with that goose and follow it down to lend help and protection. They stay with the fallen goose until it is able to fly or until it dies; and only then do they launch out on their own, or with another formation to catch up with their own group.

If we have the sense of a goose, we will stand by each other like that.

1 Like

Re: Random Acts Of Kindness (Africa) by naptu2: 2:38pm On Mar 27, 2012
"Life's most persistent and urgent question is: 'What are you doing for others?'"
— Martin Luther King, Jr.
Re: Random Acts Of Kindness (Africa) by naptu2: 7:09pm On Mar 27, 2012
Help someone in need today.

Re: Random Acts Of Kindness (Africa) by naptu2: 2:46pm On Mar 28, 2012
It takes time to practice generosity but being generous is the best use of our time.

~ Thich Nhat Hanh
Re: Random Acts Of Kindness (Africa) by naptu2: 5:23pm On Mar 31, 2012

Re: Random Acts Of Kindness (Africa) by naptu2: 2:49pm On Apr 03, 2012
Facebook news feed link by: CNN iReport

------------------------

CNN iReport shared the following link and had this to say about it:

It's amazing to see all the stories that continue to pour into iReport about life with autism, from all over the spectrum. We've heard inspiring testimonials from high-functioning adults, and watched heart-breaking footage from families who say there's nothing positive about this disease. We hope you'll take a minute to hear some of them. In this video, an 8-year-old boy talks about his life -- and his plans to become "really famous." http://on.cnn.com/H9P2AN

http://on.cnn.com/H9P2AN

For World Autism Awareness Day I decided to interview an expert in autism...my 8 year old son Jacob.

1 Like

Re: Random Acts Of Kindness (Africa) by naptu2: 3:08pm On Apr 03, 2012
Facebook news feed link by: CNN African Voices

------------------------

CNN African Voices shared the following link and had this to say about it:

We are in Chad covering this story, as we work on an upcoming African Voices.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRg9izN6T3s&feature=youtu.be

Right now in the Sahel, the lives of one million children hang in the balance. Crops have failed in eight drought-hit countries, leaving families with almost...
Re: Random Acts Of Kindness (Africa) by naptu2: 6:48pm On Apr 05, 2012
Facebook news feed post by: CNN International

------------------------

CNN International wrote:

UNICEF: 'We know famine is coming' http://on.cnn.com/HWWutD But will #SahelNOW capture the world’s attention the way #Kony2012 did?
Re: Random Acts Of Kindness (Africa) by naptu2: 9:50pm On Apr 09, 2012
Kindness.

Re: Random Acts Of Kindness (Africa) by naptu2: 6:35am On Apr 10, 2012
Life Is A Gift:

Today before you think of saying an unkind word - Think of someone who can't speak .

Before you complain about the taste of your food - Think of someone who has nothing to eat.

Before you complain about your husband or wife - Think of someone who's crying out to God for a companion.

Today before you complain about life - Think of someone who went too early to heaven.

Before you complain about your children - Think of someone who desires children but they're barren.

Before you argue about your dirty house, someone didn't clean or sweep -Think of the people who are living in the streets.

Before whining about the distance you drive - Think of someone who walks the same distance with their feet.

And when you are tired and complain about your job - Think of the unemployed, the disabled and those who wished they had your job.

But before you think of pointing the finger or condemning another - Remember that not one of us are without sin and we all answer to one maker.

And when depressing thoughts seem to get you down - Put a smile on your face and thank God you're alive and still around.

*Life is a gift, Live it, Enjoy it, Celebrate it, And fulfill it. *

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Random Acts Of Kindness (Africa) by naptu2: 8:59pm On Apr 11, 2012
At the end of our lives, we will not be judged by how many diplomas we have received, how much money we have made, or how many great things we have done. We will be judged by "I was hungry, and you gave me something to eat, I was naked and you clothed me. I was homeless, and you took me in.” ~Mother Teresa
Re: Random Acts Of Kindness (Africa) by naptu2: 8:45am On Apr 13, 2012
I couldnt verify this story sent to me by a friend, but I feel it is worth sharing

BILL GATES in a restaurant.

After eating, he gave 5$ to the waiter as a tip. The waiter had a strange feeling on his face after the tip.
Gates realized & asked.What happened?
Waiter: I'm just amazed Bcoz on the same table ur son gave Tip Of... 500$...& u his Father, richest man in the world Only Gave 5$...?

Gates Smiled & Replied With Meaningful words:

"He is Son of the world's richest man, but i am the son of a wood cutter..."

( Never Forget Your Past. It's Your Best Teacher. )

Re: Random Acts Of Kindness (Africa) by naptu2: 3:33pm On Apr 19, 2012
Be Inspired shared
Tough Angels page
Mission

According to Interpol, South Africa is number 1 in the world for rapes against women and children in addition to having the fastest accelerating rate of HIV. A rape occurs every 17 seconds in South Africa but it is estimated that only 1 in 9 rapes are ever reported to the police. Incredibly, few rapists are ever convicted and the sad reality is that rape statistics for South Africa in particular are on the rise.

Vast work is required around unravelling a tribal myth that advocates purification or a cure for AIDS can be obtained by having sex with a virgin child. One local politician suggested that under apartheid, African men were stripped of power and prestige, and now they take revenge on women and tiny children. Mysticism around women and girls holding magical healing powers offers further insight into how rape became associated with a cure for AIDS, now a pandemic in South Africa. A girl born in South Africa is more likely to be raped than she will learn to read.

Our goal is to assist in creating safe havens for women and children of violence in developing countries, providing information to educate them about HIV and supporting them in restoring dignity, hope, and promoting healing.
Re: Random Acts Of Kindness (Africa) by naptu2: 6:45pm On May 03, 2012
Be inspired wrote:

Letter from a Mother to a Daughter:

"My dear girl, the day you see I’m getting old, I ask you to please be patient, but most of all, try to understand what I’m going through. If when we talk, I repeat the same thing a thousand times, don’t interrupt to say: “You said the same thing a minute ago”... Just listen, please. Try to remember the times when you were little and I would read the same story night after night until you would fall asleep.

When I don’t want to take a bath, don’t be mad and don’t embarrass me. Remember when I had to run after you making excuses and trying to get you to take a shower when you were just a girl?

When you see how ignorant I am when it comes to new technology, give me the time to learn and don’t look at me that way... remember, honey, I patiently taught you how to do many things like eating appropriately, getting dressed, combing your hair and dealing with life’s issues every day... the day you see I’m getting old, I ask you to please be patient, but most of all, try to understand what I’m going through.

If I occasionaly lose track of what we’re talking about, give me the time to remember, and if I can’t, don’t be nervous, impatient or arrogant. Just know in your heart that the most important thing for me is to be with you. And when my old, tired legs don’t let me move as quickly as before, give me your hand the same way that I offered mine to you when you first walked. When those days come, don’t feel sad... just be with me, and understand me while I get to the end of my life with love. I’ll cherish and thank you for the gift of time and joy we shared. With a big smile and the huge love I’ve always had for you, I just want to say, I love you... my darling daughter. "

Happy Mother's Day!
Re: Random Acts Of Kindness (Africa) by naptu2: 6:46pm On May 03, 2012
Http://64.71.156.135/42/19/4219761042401317563eadcc376900d3/ba64807/hopeAletterMom_4219_w_1.3gp
Re: Random Acts Of Kindness (Africa) by naptu2: 6:48am On May 04, 2012
Spread love. Show some kindness.

Re: Random Acts Of Kindness (Africa) by naptu2: 6:51am On May 04, 2012
Make that change

Re: Random Acts Of Kindness (Africa) by naptu2: 10:19am On May 09, 2012
A friend sent this inspiring piece to me which I thought to share with you;

An old man saw a scorpion drowning and decided to pull it out from the water. He calmly extended his hand to reach the creature. When he did, the scorpion stung him. With the effect of the pain, the old man let go of the creature and it fell back into the water.

The man, realizing that the scorpion was drowning again, got back and tried to rescue it but then again, it stung him. He let go of it again...

A young boy standing by, approached the old man and said, " excuse me sir, you are going to hurt yourself trying to save the evil-vicious creature: why do you insist? Don't you realize that each time you try to help the scorpion, it stings you?

The man replied, "the nature of the scorpion is to sting and mine is to help." He would not change in helping the scorpion. The man thought for a while and used a leaf from a nearby tree to pull d scorpion out from the water and saved it's life... Then, turning to the young boy, he continued." Do not change your nature!!

If someone hurts you, just take precautions. Some pursue happiness while others create it. Let God be your guide in whatever you do... When life presents you with a thousand reasons to cry, show it that you have a thousand reasons or more to smile. More importantly, always be the reason for that precious smile!!! Have a blessed day!
Re: Random Acts Of Kindness (Africa) by naptu2: 7:52am On Jun 09, 2012
Save Basit!

Please save a life today. 18 months old Basit Olaniran Aremu has a hole in his heart and needs your help. He needs 3 million naira for an operation to correct the defect. His mother, Kafayat Aremu, is a tailor. His father abandoned them when they discovered that Basit has a heart defect. Basit’s mother resides at Eleyele Lane off Massey Children’s Hospital, Ita-Faaji, Lagos and can be reached on 08023662182. Basit is currently a patient at Lagos University Teaching Hospital (LUTH). The name of the consultant in charge of Basit’s case is Dr Okoromah (Cardiac Peadiatrician, Ward D3, LUTH). He has an account that people can pay into – GTBank 0113977595.

Please help Basit in any way you can. No amount is too small and you can help even if you don’t have money. You can help by creating awareness, so that the message gets to others who can also help. You can help by giving advice; you can help with your prayers.

I run a charity called Random Acts of Kindness. At RAK, we usually do not get involved with anything that has to do with cash donations, but we’ve decided to make an exception in Basit’s case because his life is at stake. I encourage you to verify the information above and save a life.
Re: Random Acts Of Kindness (Africa) by naptu2: 7:54am On Jun 09, 2012
Save Basit!

Please save a life today. 18 months old Basit Olaniran Aremu has a hole in his heart and needs your help. He needs 3 million naira for an operation to correct the defect. His mother, Kafayat Aremu, is a tailor. His father abandoned them when they discovered that Basit has a heart defect. Basit’s mother resides at Eleyele Lane off Massey Children’s Hospital, Ita-Faaji, Lagos and can be reached on 08023662182. Basit is currently a patient at Lagos University Teaching Hospital (LUTH). The name of the consultant in charge of Basit’s case is Dr Okoromah (Cardiac Peadiatrician, Ward D3, LUTH). Basit has an account that people can pay into – GTBank 0113977595.

Please help Basit in any way you can. No amount is too small and you can help even if you don’t have money. You can help by creating awareness, so that the message gets to others who can also help. You can help by giving advice; you can help with your prayers.

I run a charity called Random Acts of Kindness. At RAK, we usually do not get involved with anything that has to do with cash donations, but we’ve decided to make an exception in Basit’s case because his life is at stake. I encourage you to verify the information above and save a life.

Re: Random Acts Of Kindness (Africa) by naptu2: 8:25am On Jun 10, 2012
Please help save a life. You may know someone who can assist; a journalist, medical practitioner, government official, etc. Please act so that Basit can live.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Africans Abroad,a New Definition / African Americans Spend Much More Than They Save. / Why Dont Yorubas Claim Istekiri, The Way Igbos Claim Ikwerre, Delta Igbo?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.