Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,298 members, 7,808,012 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:09 AM

Where Is God In The Game Of Football? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Where Is God In The Game Of Football? (3962 Views)

Is GOD GOOD TO YOU THIS YEAR / Describe GOD In One Word / The Fifth Kingdom(of God) In The Bible Prophecy Of The Book "DANIEL 2" Is Islam! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Where Is God In The Game Of Football? by Nobody: 2:25pm On Mar 24, 2012
Few yrs ago in school a philosophy lecturer asked us to write on the above topic.several students wrote from different perspectives and had different conclusions.i argued dat God would technically not be on any side but dat d better team would most probably win,making god to pitch(or fore-pitch because of his foreknowledge)on their side.i've often wondered why d super eagles n their supporters spend time in intense prayer to god to help them win a match.do they think god's only on their side and not on their opponents'.now what do u think?on what side would God be in a football game provided that both sides have prayed to him or both sides haven't or one side has and d other hasn't?? Does it make any difference
Re: Where Is God In The Game Of Football? by thehomer: 4:35pm On Mar 24, 2012
He is on the winning side.
Re: Where Is God In The Game Of Football? by Nobody: 9:50pm On Mar 24, 2012
thehomer: He is on the winning side.
exactly d same answer a tutor gave at a tutorial back then.
Re: Where Is God In The Game Of Football? by thehomer: 8:34am On Mar 25, 2012
Beretta92: exactly d same answer a tutor gave at a tutorial back then.

Looks like God is talking to both of us then.
Re: Where Is God In The Game Of Football? by Nobody: 9:30am On Mar 25, 2012
so God didnt have to choose who will win, the winning team chose him?
Re: Where Is God In The Game Of Football? by thehomer: 11:28pm On Mar 25, 2012
diluminati: so God didnt have to choose who will win, the winning team chose him?

The side that won is the side that God actually chose. The other side was just wasting their time.
Re: Where Is God In The Game Of Football? by Image123(m): 11:28am On Mar 26, 2012
Football is of the world, not of God. God has very little or nothing to do with it. There's a reason i include 'very little'. NOTE that i did not say football is a sin. I said football is of this world. And football, like it's origin will pass away. The god of this world runs things more in football, not God. That's why football can go and will go against God and godliness if necessary. Football and its participants will cheat, deceive, lie, gamble, bet, fight, hurt, disregard God and His worship without batting an eyelid. People like the nigerian team simply 'monkey'(deceive) atheists and their co-ignorant fellows when they come together and act like they're praying to some God/god. God does not hear the prayer of sinners, except it's something serious.
Re: Where Is God In The Game Of Football? by thehomer: 3:24pm On Mar 26, 2012
Image123: Football is of the world, not of God. God has very little or nothing to do with it. There's a reason i include 'very little'. NOTE that i did not say football is a sin. I said football is of this world. And football, like it's origin will pass away. The god of this world runs things more in football, not God. That's why football can go and will go against God and godliness if necessary. Football and its participants will cheat, deceive, lie, gamble, bet, fight, hurt, disregard God and His worship without batting an eyelid. People like the nigerian team simply 'monkey'(deceive) atheists and their co-ignorant fellows when they come together and act like they're praying to some God/god. God does not hear the prayer of sinners, except it's something serious.

A beautiful demonstration of an oxymoron. How does the Nigerian team deceive atheists by praying to God on the field and still lose?
Re: Where Is God In The Game Of Football? by Image123(m): 5:33pm On Mar 26, 2012
^and we should derail the thread in defence of your ignorance?
Re: Where Is God In The Game Of Football? by thehomer: 11:48pm On Mar 26, 2012
Image123: ^and we should derail the thread in defence of your ignorance?

What ignorance? And how will the thread be derailed?
Re: Where Is God In The Game Of Football? by Image123(m): 12:09am On Mar 27, 2012
atheism is ignorance. And you show more ignorance when you imagine/believe that everytime the nigerian team gather before a match kicks off, they must be praying, and to God. The thread's question has already been answered. You did not bother to comment on the answer, all you did was what you do best, word picking.
Re: Where Is God In The Game Of Football? by thehomer: 12:34am On Mar 27, 2012
Image123: atheism is ignorance.

No, atheism is non-belief in Gods.

Image123:
And you show more ignorance when you imagine/believe that everytime the nigerian team gather before a match kicks off, they must be praying, and to God. The thread's question has already been answered. You did not bother to comment on the answer, all you did was what you do best, word picking.

Who do you think they pray to? I don't believe in a God so that statement is moot. It is you who believe in one that is in a position of being deceived.
Also, who answered the question and where did they give the answer?
Re: Where Is God In The Game Of Football? by Image123(m): 1:04am On Mar 27, 2012
^non belief in God/gods is ignorance. i'm loving the breakdown. What was the OP's question again? you know, have always questioned your comprehension. Not your brilliance, your comprehension.
Re: Where Is God In The Game Of Football? by DeepSight(m): 1:12pm On Mar 27, 2012
thehomer:

No, atheism is non-belief in Gods.

Which is, of course, ignorance.

1 Like

Re: Where Is God In The Game Of Football? by Image123(m): 1:28pm On Mar 27, 2012
Deep Sight:

You're so on point deepS
Re: Where Is God In The Game Of Football? by thehomer: 1:45pm On Mar 27, 2012
Image123: ^non belief in God/gods is ignorance. i'm loving the breakdown. What was the OP's question again? you know, have always questioned your comprehension. Not your brilliance, your comprehension.

His question is in the topic.

Oooh thank you for not questioning my brilliance. I'm so grateful. Now, why don't you exercise the comprehension you think you have?
Re: Where Is God In The Game Of Football? by thehomer: 1:47pm On Mar 27, 2012
Deep Sight:

Ignorance of what? e.g is non-belief in vampires ignorance? How about non-belief in leprechauns, faeries and the God of smallpox? You need to distinguish non-belief that an idea is true from knowledge of the idea.

1 Like

Re: Where Is God In The Game Of Football? by Image123(m): 5:56pm On Mar 27, 2012
Image123: Football is of the world, not of God. God has very little or nothing to do with it. There's a reason i include 'very little'. NOTE that i did not say football is a sin. I said football is of this world. And football, like it's origin will pass away. The god of this world runs things more in football, not God. That's why football can go and will go against God and godliness if necessary. Football and its participants will cheat, deceive, lie, gamble, bet, fight, hurt, disregard God and His worship without batting an eyelid. People like the nigerian team simply 'monkey'(deceive) atheists and their co-ignorant fellows when they come together and act like they're praying to some God/god. God does not hear the prayer of sinners, except it's something serious.
Re: Where Is God In The Game Of Football? by antartica(m): 6:43pm On Mar 27, 2012
Football is another form of religion,it has taken the place of god delusion.And it is another gift to the world by the english that you guys keep copying.Just like they gave you christianity,language,names,fashion and even eating etiquette.
Re: Where Is God In The Game Of Football? by Image123(m): 9:06pm On Mar 27, 2012
^what is 'god delusion'?
Re: Where Is God In The Game Of Football? by Miroslavklose: 10:16pm On Mar 27, 2012
god of soccer
Re: Where Is God In The Game Of Football? by 5solas(m): 10:58pm On May 05, 2013
Re: Where Is God In The Game Of Football? by 5solas(m): 10:59pm On May 05, 2013
Football is of the world, not of God. God has very little or nothing to do with it. There's a reason i include 'very little'. NOTE that i did not say football is a sin. I said football is of this world. And football, like it's origin will pass away. The god of this world runs things more in football, not God. That's why football can go and will go against God and godliness if necessary. Football and its participants will cheat, deceive, lie, gamble, bet, fight, hurt, disregard God and His worship without batting an eyelid. People like the nigerian team simply 'monkey'(deceive) atheists and their co-ignorant fellows when they come together and act like they're praying to some God/god. God does not hear the prayer of sinners, except it's something serious.

What a post from a professing theist ! *Shakes head in disbelief*

@Baretta

God is interested in all of His creation. He is interested in all events. If this were not so, He wouldn’t have fore-knowledge, which the The Bible asserts He has, knowing the end from the beginning. Imagine God having to wait till the end of a football match to know the result ! That He has an interest in who wins is evident from the fact that the better team does not always win. How about the emotions and lives of the players, can they not be said to be influenced by the outcome of their matches? He listens to the prayers of players and grants them according to His will.
Re: Where Is God In The Game Of Football? by Image123(m): 10:00am On May 06, 2013
5solas:

What a post from a professing theist ! *Shakes head in disbelief*

Be not faithless but believing.
Re: Where Is God In The Game Of Football? by Nobody: 10:09am On May 06, 2013
thehomer:

The side that won is the side that God actually chose. The other side was just wasting their time.

...and how do you know that?
Re: Where Is God In The Game Of Football? by Nobody: 10:18am On May 06, 2013
Image123: atheism is ignorance....

And theism's knowledge?

Aren't we all ignorant? YOU especially...

Image123:
It's actually better to follow blindly than to follow religion with eyes wide open like many.
Following blindly depicts ignorance, following with eyes wide open depicts knowing what you are doing and intentionally doing it....

https://www.nairaland.com/1260566/permission-use-brains-o-man/1#15310536
Re: Where Is God In The Game Of Football? by 5solas(m): 9:47pm On May 09, 2013

Are you saying God has little or no interest in your job? grin

Or you don't know some players are believers? grin

1 Like

Re: Where Is God In The Game Of Football? by Image123(m): 10:51pm On May 09, 2013
musKeeto:

And theism's knowledge?

Aren't we all ignorant? YOU especially...

https://www.nairaland.com/1260566/permission-use-brains-o-man/1#15310536
you need comprehension, english is not really as complicated as that.
read John 9:41 to ease your perplexity.
Re: Where Is God In The Game Of Football? by Image123(m): 10:54pm On May 09, 2013
5solas:

Are you saying God has little or no interest in your job? grin

Or you don't know some players are believers? grin

I see you're laughing, hopefully not in unbelief this time.
1). No
2). i don't know, I'm not close to them or know any of them that well. What's your aim?
Re: Where Is God In The Game Of Football? by thehomer: 5:51am On May 10, 2013
striktlymi:

...and how do you know that?

That is based on an assumption that your God only picks winners. Or does your God pick losers?
Re: Where Is God In The Game Of Football? by Nobody: 6:45am On May 10, 2013
thehomer:

That is based on an assumption that your God only picks winners. Or does your God pick losers?

Morning Homer,

The bold is what is needed really...I see you don't know but just giving assumptions...

No P!
Re: Where Is God In The Game Of Football? by thehomer: 12:07pm On May 10, 2013
striktlymi:

Morning Homer,

The bold is what is needed really...I see you don't know but just giving assumptions...

No P!

Do you have any assumptions about your God? Please answer with a yes or no.

(1) (2) (Reply)

10 Things Youths Are Guilty Of In Church / Muslims Leave Islam After Reading The Qur’an / Can NL Atheists Dare To Refute This Logical Evidence For Intelligent Design?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.