Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,781 members, 7,802,418 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:06 PM

Jonathan Should Complete His 8 Years In Aso Rock- Capt. Barbosa. - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Should Complete His 8 Years In Aso Rock- Capt. Barbosa. (9199 Views)

Poll: Should Jonathan contest for second term election by 2015?

Yes: 30% (42 votes)
No: 65% (91 votes)
undecided: 2% (4 votes)
I need more time to decide.: 1% (2 votes)
This poll has ended

My Husband Must Complete His Two Terms – Mrs. Jonathan / Army Board Of Inquiry Tried Capt. Koli For Exposing Ekiti Rigging / Breaking News;jonathan Did Not Complete His Ph.d Course- Obasanjo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jonathan Should Complete His 8 Years In Aso Rock- Capt. Barbosa. by Baawaa(m): 4:39pm On Mar 27, 2012
foxglove: Is this an amnestic assertion? As much as we are entitled to our opinion, we should not be subjective about it.
Dis comment is a shock to me. Au can one expect Jonathan to remain in office beyond 2015? It bothers my mind to see that Nigerians are still largely ignorant of what is hitting them until it consumes them. THE WAR AGAINST CORRUPTION IS LOST AND UNTIL IT IS REGAINED WE ARE STILL RUDDERLESS. Since the exit of Farida, Larmode has succeded in doing worse than his predecessor. WAKE UP NAIJA

The minority that says yes are senseless south south.And they are paying and they will still pay for it!!
Re: Jonathan Should Complete His 8 Years In Aso Rock- Capt. Barbosa. by Demdem(m): 4:47pm On Mar 27, 2012
The retardeen has already told us that he will just be there for a term. Abegii, let us believe him and continue to endure his failures for now.
Re: Jonathan Should Complete His 8 Years In Aso Rock- Capt. Barbosa. by wordychap: 4:48pm On Mar 27, 2012
GEJ has been democratically elected once n can run for a second term come 2015. he needs to win d election to be president again 2015. economically he's not doing badly, we even launched 2 sattelites into space less than half way through his first term- obj's 8yrs achievement. on security, truth's simple; nigerians are dropping bombs on themselves on tribal n religious grounds n he's done as much as able, u don't expect him to sleep on d streets of d country on lookout for bombers- hold d police
Re: Jonathan Should Complete His 8 Years In Aso Rock- Capt. Barbosa. by Beaf: 4:49pm On Mar 27, 2012
ndu_chucks: @Beaf, to be honest with you, I am not against GEJ. If he performs and he is successful in his first term, I will use my own resources to help him return to power. I am willing to wait and see how the power situation is improved in 2-3years. The world already knows that our economy is poised to be in the top 20 by the end of the decade at the rate its growing.

My worry is the security issue, I just don't think GEJ has done enough. He has not been as agressive as one would have hoped. Why is he still shielding the sponsors of terrorism within his administration? He had told us that he knows them. Why??

What do you want him to do with security? Practically the entire army is already stationed in the restive core-Northern areas and their elite openly take the side of boko haram and stoke all sorts of flames through bigotry.
Do you want him to incinerate the entire core-Northern population to suit you?

The sponsors of terrorism in the core-North make up maybe 90% of their elite (from journalists to politicians); therefore Nigeria is really in a state of civil war to suit the political ambitions of your people. Your dream is for GEJ to order in the army to commit a genocide that can be hyped to suit your political aims and legitimise boko haram as freedom fighters; fighting against poverty and persecution (a crocodile tear comes to my bone-dry eye).

Who be fool?

Dude, go home and preach to your Imams to drop their incendiary sermons instead.
Re: Jonathan Should Complete His 8 Years In Aso Rock- Capt. Barbosa. by LEXYLOV: 4:50pm On Mar 27, 2012
WHY NOT GIVEN HIM 8 MORE DECADE. SINCE HE MADE THE ECONOMY IN YOUR VILLAGE TO BE BOOMING. SILLY POSTER undecided
Re: Jonathan Should Complete His 8 Years In Aso Rock- Capt. Barbosa. by abokine: 4:57pm On Mar 27, 2012
GEJ 2015?hmmm !!!!
Re: Jonathan Should Complete His 8 Years In Aso Rock- Capt. Barbosa. by abokine: 4:59pm On Mar 27, 2012
GEJ 2015?hmmm !!!![i][/i] [color=#000099][/color][font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]
Re: Jonathan Should Complete His 8 Years In Aso Rock- Capt. Barbosa. by CaptBarbosa: 5:03pm On Mar 27, 2012
Stop being emotional and answer this little poser, was Jonathan the cause of the problems you listed below? Last time I checked, those problems you listed below was piled as result of failed successful governments in making sure things are being done in the right way. In your haste to display blind hatred, you left out the fact that Jonathan met the country in rotten state. This is a man doing everything necessary to change the usual ways of doing things, and you expect him to auto-margical solve all the problems accumulated for more than four decades in just 2 years? ! Where is your sincerity? Come to think of this., those things you itemized should be responsibility of your local authority, NO?. . .so, why are you not holding them resposible?

Secondly, my monthly tax is more than the salary of a director in any state ministry, so don't tell me about paying tax and the deductions is being made from source, but is that enough reason to point at the office of the president with the left finger? NO!. Only a B**t*d would do that!(no offence intended)

I work 7 to 5 daily, 6 days a week and I have not gone for annual leave for more than 3 years. So, lets cut the parts of seeking to score cheap points via posting some unverifaible claims. Thanks

brainpulse:
Know this and know it for your Good, i don't queue at Aso rock for food, and i don't partake in any government corrupt practices.GEJ though president of Nigeria doesn't feed me nor cloth me, I work he eats my Tax. I don't and wouldn't lick his boot for a million dollar. He should respect the tax i pay with my sweat and get back to what miscreants voted him for, or lose the respect he doesn't earn. Your can cry out loud i care less Capt lick-boot.

I have being without light for 4 weeks, spend unproductive hours due to bad roads and traffic management, sleep with one eye because of security issues, had to ration water usage because no light to pump water, and you say i should.........You should better go and continue to wipe their ****** , because I know you wont pay tax for that
Re: Jonathan Should Complete His 8 Years In Aso Rock- Capt. Barbosa. by 4litres: 5:03pm On Mar 27, 2012
adeshina4u: I think in the spirit of fairness and justice, Jonathan should be supported by all nigerians by 2015, to complete his projects.

He may not be doing as expected for now, but 8 years in Aso Rock would have been a ripe age for any meaningful assessment. Obj did his term, Yar'adua was in the process. . .and all that.

Please, contribute with maturity. Thanks.
[color=#000099][/color]

I think you are allowing sentiments to be cloud your sense of judgment and reasoning, cos GEJ has not only displayed lack of competence to govern, charisma to lead and understanding of the entity called Nigeria; but has made Nigeria lose her pride position in the committee of nations.
The constitution only provides for a tenure of four years, renewable if fresh mandate is given by the electorate. So, to think that anybody elected has the right to automatic two tenures is wrong.
More so, he has not done even half enough to deserve the second term.
Exactly my point guy. Spirit of which fairness? Na so dem de support? If you re fit 2 govern the country, whether u r 4rm ibibio, itsekiri,tiv, berom, idoma etc u shud b supported, not because u r a canoe man 4rm d creeks & no 1 4rm ur village has not ruled b4. we ve been doin dis sentmental tin 4 ova 50yrs & dats y we ve not gotten any whr. anybody dat can give us a better standard of living,proven track record of workable policies,fight corruption honestly, serve with d interest of d whole nation @heart shud b supported be it Fashola,Okorocha or Buhari, i dnt care as long it improves d standard of living of every nigerian. Gosh d sentimental thinkin has bcom a disease. I wonder whose brilliant idea was it by d way 2fuse ova 380somtin self absorbin trybz 2 form a nation?
Re: Jonathan Should Complete His 8 Years In Aso Rock- Capt. Barbosa. by hallmark77: 5:08pm On Mar 27, 2012
Performance is not his qualification for another term.....But his problem will be Nigerian constitution which is very clear and going for another term by 2015 will be like going for a third term unless or otherwise he find a way to amend the constitution....And for your information these issue has been challenged in court today....A member of PDP has already dragged case to court....http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/legal-battle-begins-over-2015-presidency/112365/....Lets put sentiments apart and discuss this issue according to the constitution.....
Re: Jonathan Should Complete His 8 Years In Aso Rock- Capt. Barbosa. by nduchucks: 5:13pm On Mar 27, 2012
kunlekunle: Jonathan is serving his first term constitutionally.
The only people who would take your arguments seriously are those who either believe in unsubstantiated rumours or base their decisions on sentiment

can you buttress your arguement from the constitution

Let me help you out a bit here by pointing out a few constitutional provisions:

We all agree that you can Presidential tenures are limited to two terms as specified in the constitution below:

Section 137.(1) A person shall not be qualified for election to the office of President if -
(b) he has been elected to such office at any two previous elections;

Now GEJ had to vacate the office of the President and contest in the last election when his first term ended as provided for in the constitution below:

Section 135.(2) Subject to the provisions of subsection (1) of this section, the President shall vacate his office at the expiration of a period of four years commencing from the date, when -
(b) in any other case, the person last elected to that office under this Constitution took the Oath of Allegiance and oath of office or would, but for his death, have taken such Oaths.

Finally, there is no doubt that Yar’Adua’s term would have expired when GEJ’s 1st term in office expired. Please note that GEJ’s first term expired when Yar’dua’s first term would have expired because of this provision which applies to Chapter VI of the constitution where all the previously sited provisions are contained:

Section 142(2) The provisions of this Part of this Chapter relating to qualification for election, tenure of office, disqualification, declaration of assets and liabilities and oaths of President shall apply in relation to the office of Vice-President as if references to President were references to Vice-President.

We can easily conclude because of section 142 (2) as applied to the other sections I sited, that, if Yar'Adua cannot run for a third term in 2015 if he were alive, then GEJ cannot do the same.

I'm sure some ogbanje lawyers will come and turn my simple analysis upside down shortly, but the issue seems quite clear.
Re: Jonathan Should Complete His 8 Years In Aso Rock- Capt. Barbosa. by Beaf: 5:23pm On Mar 27, 2012
^
How anybody can make ambigous interpretations of the sections you quoted above is beyond me.
GEJ has only contested for the post of President once, talkless of sitting a full 4 year term.

Comical.

This is the entire chapter 142. Olodo:

142. (1) In any election to which the foregoing provisions of this Part of this Chapter relate, a candidate for an election to the office of President shall not be deemed to be validly nominated unless he nominates another candidate as his associate from the same political party for his running for the office of President, who is to occupy the office of Vice-President and that candidate shall be deemed to have been duly elected to the office of Vice-President if the candidate for an election to the office of President who nominated him as such associate is duly elected as President in accordance with the provisions aforesaid.

(2) The provisions of this Part of this Chapter relating to qualification for election, tenure of office, disqualification, declaration of assets and liabilities and oaths of President shall apply in relation to the office of Vice-President as if references to President were references to Vice-President.

As you can see, 142 (2) refers to 142 (1). They are the only things in the chapter and they are about nominations and party membership. Ok?
Re: Jonathan Should Complete His 8 Years In Aso Rock- Capt. Barbosa. by Novice1(m): 5:25pm On Mar 27, 2012
This is how it starts...as a rumor. Next you will hear him saying people are calling on him to continue on his third term.

O God Almighty....... we need your intevention in Nigeria.
Re: Jonathan Should Complete His 8 Years In Aso Rock- Capt. Barbosa. by denitro(m): 5:39pm On Mar 27, 2012
NIGERIANS!!!!!!!
LET A MAN STAND BY HIS WORDS...(G.E.J - I Won’t Contest 2015 Elections)
Reasons why he shouldn't:
1. I will rather have a president that will keep his promise than one that changes with the wind.
2. It will be sending the wrong signal - Nigeria is a country where words spoken by the very elite means nothing...
MARCH 25, 2012 - Northern leaders have again expressed doubts about the willingness of
President Goodluck Jonathan to fulfil his promise not to contest a second term in 2015.

United Nations Economic Commission for Africa (UNECA) and the African Union (AU).
“Four years is enough for anyone in power to make significant improvements, and if within this
period i am unable to improve the power situation, it means i cannot do anything even if i am
there for another four years.” Jonathan said

PLEASE LET US NOT BE THE LAUGHING STOCK OF THE OUTSIDE WORLD...
I can imagine the headlines in major newspapers - WASHINGTON POST - NIGERIANS LYING PRESIDENT.
Re: Jonathan Should Complete His 8 Years In Aso Rock- Capt. Barbosa. by nduchucks: 5:45pm On Mar 27, 2012
Beaf: ^
How anybody can make ambigous interpretations of the sections you quoted above is beyond me.
GEJ has only contested for the post of President once, talkless of sitting a full 4 year term.

Comical.

You think it is ambiguous and comical, ko? When the supreme court agrees with my interpretation, it would no longer be comical - you'd resort to blaming core-Northern elite again. Look, GEJ assumed Yar'Adua's terms and according to section 142(2), Yar'Adua's tenure of office as President shall apply in relation to the office of Vice-President (GEJ). There is nothing ambuguous about this.
Re: Jonathan Should Complete His 8 Years In Aso Rock- Capt. Barbosa. by nduchucks: 5:50pm On Mar 27, 2012
Beaf: ^

Comical.

This is the entire chapter 142. Olodo:

As you can see, 142 (2) refers to 142 (1). They are the only things in the chapter and they are about nominations and party membership. Ok?

You are making a fool of yourself. 142 (2) states The provisions of this Part of this Chapter relating to qualification for election, tenure of office, disqualification, declaration of assets and liabilities and oaths of President shall apply in relation to the office of Vice-President as if references to President were references to Vice-President.

So in your books, tenure of office is about nomination and party membership. I laugh in Isoko cheesy cheesy
Re: Jonathan Should Complete His 8 Years In Aso Rock- Capt. Barbosa. by ektbear: 5:56pm On Mar 27, 2012
GEJ was not elected as president twice.

Only once. So he can run again in 2015.

In addition to the unambigious language that Beaf quoted, notice that much of the Nigerian constitution and system of gov't was pretty much copied from the American one..where you can also serve more than 8 years if some of those year were due to your predecessor dying in office.

If it goes to court, GEJ will win.

Anyway, don't be too surprised if he runs again. We Africans very rarely keep promises made about giving up power grin cheesy
Re: Jonathan Should Complete His 8 Years In Aso Rock- Capt. Barbosa. by Beaf: 6:04pm On Mar 27, 2012
ndu_chucks:

You are making a fool of yourself. 142 (2) states The provisions of this Part of this Chapter relating to qualification for election, tenure of office, disqualification, declaration of assets and liabilities and oaths of President shall apply in relation to the office of Vice-President as if references to President were references to Vice-President.

So in your books, tenure of office is about nomination and party membership. I laugh in Isoko cheesy cheesy

Just in case you need to shine your eyes wella before making another meat sellers interpretation of the chapter, here it is in full again:

142. (1) In any election to which the foregoing provisions of this Part of this Chapter relate, a candidate for an election to the office of President shall not be deemed to be validly nominated unless he nominates another candidate as his associate from the same political party for his running for the office of President, who is to occupy the office of Vice-President and that candidate shall be deemed to have been duly elected to the office of Vice-President if the candidate for an election to the office of President who nominated him as such associate is duly elected as President in accordance with the provisions aforesaid.

(2) The provisions of this Part of [b]this Chapter [/b]relating to qualification for election, tenure of office, disqualification, declaration of assets and liabilities and oaths of President shall apply in relation to the office of Vice-President as if references to President were references to Vice-President.

Chapter 142 has just two paragraphs (which are both quoted above). Surely, it can't be that hard na.
My brother, as you can see, it only refers to nomination and party membership. I am looking forward to your getting a lawyer from Jankara market who hitherto, only sold onions ands pepper by the roadside.

Comedy!
Re: Jonathan Should Complete His 8 Years In Aso Rock- Capt. Barbosa. by jamd: 6:10pm On Mar 27, 2012
I used to enjoy Nairaland when there are people that argue/discus issue ideologically, now na so so child talk.
Re: Jonathan Should Complete His 8 Years In Aso Rock- Capt. Barbosa. by omodada1: 6:28pm On Mar 27, 2012
Is anoda better thief available τ̅☺ takeova? If not let the̶̲̥̅̊ snail kip up the̶̲̥̅̊ ‎​G̶̲̥̅Ơ̴̴̴̴͡.̮Ơ̴̴̴͡D̶̲̥̅ work.
Re: Jonathan Should Complete His 8 Years In Aso Rock- Capt. Barbosa. by marceljachin: 6:36pm On Mar 27, 2012
african politicians are known for non relinquishing of power at the expiration of their tenure. I remember that president jonathan promised to serve only one term when he was trying to introduce the 6 year single term. Now he wants to stay another 4 years. Jonathan should go home after this tenure and let another person try that position.
Re: Jonathan Should Complete His 8 Years In Aso Rock- Capt. Barbosa. by nduchucks: 6:39pm On Mar 27, 2012
ekt_bear: GEJ was not elected as president twice.

Only once. So he can run again in 2015.

If it goes to court, GEJ will win.

Don't be too sure that GEJ will win. Constitutional issues are seldom black or white.

Beaf:

Just in case you need to shine your eyes wella before making another meat sellers interpretation of the chapter, here it is in full again:

Chapter 142 has just two paragraphs (which are both quoted above). Surely, it can't be that hard na.
My brother, as you can see, it only refers to nomination and party membership. I am looking forward to your getting a lawyer from Jankara market who hitherto, only sold onions ands pepper by the roadside.

Comedy!

I quote 142 (2) again:

"The provisions of this Part of this Chapter relating to qualification for election, tenure of office, disqualification, declaration of assets and liabilities and oaths of President shall apply in relation to the office of Vice-President as if references to President were references to Vice-President. "

The chapter in question is Chapter VI and the part referenced is Part 1 Federal Executive. That refered chapter and part include all the sections I've sited. Go to the constitution and find that the only chapter and Part which 142 (2) refers to is what I show below:

Chapter VI

The Executive

Part I

Federal Executive

Don't jump for joy yet, 142 is a section not a chapter olodo. How can Chapter 142 be contained in Chapter VI of the same instrument. olodo abi na backyard school you go ni.

abeg no vex, make I borrow ya gif. Everybody join me in www.nairaland.com/attachments/180447_ROTFLMAO_gif3d0c775232c7f27cf80592785b9635b6
Re: Jonathan Should Complete His 8 Years In Aso Rock- Capt. Barbosa. by victorazy(m): 6:48pm On Mar 27, 2012
So, na so we go dey till next 7 yrs?
Re: Jonathan Should Complete His 8 Years In Aso Rock- Capt. Barbosa. by youngmonie: 7:11pm On Mar 27, 2012
No be talk sai na only 1term he's goin 4?
Re: Jonathan Should Complete His 8 Years In Aso Rock- Capt. Barbosa. by iconaus: 7:20pm On Mar 27, 2012
Nigerians are in patient. JEG has not spend up to 2 yrs in office and people are already condemning him . It will be right to access his performance after 4 yrs in office. Nigeria has numerous problems hence it is going to take time for meaningful achievement to manifest.

it will be fair and wise for him to be in office for 8 yrs after which a genuine assessment will be conducted .Obj could not fix Nigeria after 8 yrs , Obama is still struggling to fix Us after 3 yrs in Office then how do we expect JEG to fix Nigeria under 2 yrs? .Also in the principal of fairness and equity , some body from South east will take over after JEG . North should wait until power is gone through all 6 regions in Nigeria.
Re: Jonathan Should Complete His 8 Years In Aso Rock- Capt. Barbosa. by dayokanu(m): 7:25pm On Mar 27, 2012
bisiaet: Well I think its obvious GEJ will be there for another term no question about that. I think this man is trying his best despite the serious security challenge in the country, hopefully he might do much no one can say. It ha s become apparent that the problem in this country were man made or may I say a delibrate attempt by some vultures to shred Nigeria flesh into pieces for their selfish interest just make GEJ look incapable and this is where they miss it.

I'm not PDP sympatiser or believer but for the fact that some animals got offended because a man in Aso Rock is from minority tribe and decided to thumble Nigeria to pieces made me to support GEJ and I will always do as long he is the president because Nigeria belong to everybody either East, West, South or North so noone is an outcast or second class citizen.

Gej should ride on and after him the East should present their candidate for presidency so the disgruntle vultures and the mr bombers still have many years to bomb.

No doubt he is doing his best, But whats the best a Reetardeed person can offer aside cluelessness.

The same rubbish you keep spewing everytime

Gowon was from a minority tribe, he ruled for 9yrs, IBB was from a minority tribe he ruled for 8yrs.

So why are you linking opposition to Retardeen to the fact that he is from the minority?

have you given Nigerians the option of Donald Duke from minority or Pat utomi from minority and they rejected or roundly condemned it?
Re: Jonathan Should Complete His 8 Years In Aso Rock- Capt. Barbosa. by Beaf: 7:32pm On Mar 27, 2012
youngmonie: No be talk sai na only 1term he's goin 4?

Strangely, I only recall people saying he said that. Do you have links with quotes, bruv?
Re: Jonathan Should Complete His 8 Years In Aso Rock- Capt. Barbosa. by CaptBarbosa: 7:48pm On Mar 27, 2012
Lets even assume he said so and he is now cosidering running for the second term. Ki ni big deal?

Abi dem tell you say him word na ten commandment? . . .abeg free the man, jooor.

Sai Jonathan 2015!

youngmonie: No be talk sai na only 1term he's goin 4?
Re: Jonathan Should Complete His 8 Years In Aso Rock- Capt. Barbosa. by damasin: 8:42pm On Mar 27, 2012
A stop to fuel subsidy which Jonathan introduced to Nigeria on January 1st-2012 crippled Nigerians, and it has also brought unimaginable hardship to the Nigerians as well. Imagine a country without constant and stable electricity is stopping fuel subsidy. Meaning the amount of money you spend in fueling your generator and car will triple times 3.And eventually everything has gone up since then.

Since the Stopping of Fuel subsidy initiative introduced to Nigeria on January 1st-2012, what has the Federal Government done to supplement the life of Nigerians with the fuel subsidy money? Instead that unsatisfied Ngozi Iweala who pushed President Goodluck Jonathan into this agenda wants to leave the Nigerian Finance Ministry for World Bank post. She better repair that country before she leaves, else the God of Nigeria will strike her.

David Mark is also by the corner coming with his own initiatives. Nigeria is doomed
Re: Jonathan Should Complete His 8 Years In Aso Rock- Capt. Barbosa. by OmoTier1(m): 8:51pm On Mar 27, 2012
God forbid! grin grin grin
Re: Jonathan Should Complete His 8 Years In Aso Rock- Capt. Barbosa. by nduchucks: 9:23pm On Mar 27, 2012
Beaf:

Strangely, I only recall people saying he said that. Do you have links with quotes, bruv?

You are becoming lazy these days, ngwanu I will show you the link where GEJ announced to the world that he is seeking only one term.

Nigeria's President Goodluck Jonathan has said he will not seek a second term in office if he wins elections scheduled for April.

As the governing party candidate, he is the favourite even though some party officials have said he should not run.

He is a southerner and the People's Democratic Party (PDP) has a tradition of alternating power between north and south of the country.

Check the rest here olodo
Re: Jonathan Should Complete His 8 Years In Aso Rock- Capt. Barbosa. by folhenrry4flizzy(m): 9:24pm On Mar 27, 2012
Not only 8yrs but multiply by 100yrs equal to 800yrs (8*100=800).

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

OBJ Says Boko-Haram Will End Soon / Disgruntled Politicians Want Igbo Presidency - PDP / What Is The Meaning Of Ode Chukwu?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 112
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.