Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,471 members, 7,770,160 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 06:13 AM

NEMA Warns Of Famine As Farmers Flee Boko Haram Attacks - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NEMA Warns Of Famine As Farmers Flee Boko Haram Attacks (5190 Views)

DSS WARNS of Planned Boko Haram attacks in Abuja / Obasanjo Warns Of Coup, Isn't That Treasonable? / Prepare For Flood: NEMA Warns South-West States (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NEMA Warns Of Famine As Farmers Flee Boko Haram Attacks by msb247(m): 12:00am On Mar 28, 2012
^^^ grin grin grin
Re: NEMA Warns Of Famine As Farmers Flee Boko Haram Attacks by bakila: 12:04am On Mar 28, 2012
No problem, ba damuwa. Hunger will kill the Northerners and Aid Agencies will not go thier and those in the south will not feel anything.
Enjoy your imported food, the one Gowon did not give Biafra. Ba damuwa.
Re: NEMA Warns Of Famine As Farmers Flee Boko Haram Attacks by Nobody: 12:08am On Mar 28, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Correction, southerners have not just started farming. Farming has been done in the south for decades, however, the bulk of foods consumed, exported and processed in Nigeria(except for imports) still come from the North. Your Egusi? Much of it still comes from the north. Your Onions, rice, pepper, Yam, Millet etc. Still come from the North.

We do not need now to re-write facts simply because individuals cannot get past their hate for the North. It is well known fact proved over and over each year by the hike in price of foods whenever chaos happens in the north.
If you are right then how come Niger is not self sufficient, because it seems to me that Niger is more nothern than northern Nigeria. Yet people from Niger feel the need to come to Nigeria and fetch for food.
Where are you from ? because it seems to me that you are ignorant of simple facts about the south, how do you think the southerners were coping before colonisation ?
Go and look into history, you will see that it is the northerners who were dying of hunger, and the southerners were abundant with food and riches. I absolutely do not know what some people mean when they say that northern Nigeria produces the bulk of the food we eat in Nigeria, while it is known a vast amount of food is being imported:
http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/nigeria-spends-n24-5tr-on-food-importation-annually/99450/
So my question now is: where is the money for that imported food coming from ?
isn't it the oil money from the south ?
is the north giving the south food for free ? (the answer is no)
is the food imported only for the south ? (the answer is no)
so how does this fit your claim that the north feeds the south ? (answer: this is a lie, the north can not even feed itself and the imported food is mainly destined to the north).
Conclusion: it is the oil money that is used to buy food and therefore to feed the bulk of the north.
The south is self sufficient and always has been.

4 Likes

Re: NEMA Warns Of Famine As Farmers Flee Boko Haram Attacks by Nobody: 12:10am On Mar 28, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Correction, southerners have not just started farming. Farming has been done in the south for decades, however, the bulk of foods consumed, exported and processed in Nigeria(except for imports) still come from the North. Your Egusi? Much of it still comes from the north. Your Onions, rice, pepper, Yam, Millet etc. Still come from the North.

We do not need now to re-write facts simply because individuals cannot get past their hate for the North. It is well known fact proved over and over each year by the hike in price of foods whenever chaos happens in the north.
the north can not feed its almajiri yet it claims to feed the south, hhhhhhhhh!!!

2 Likes

Re: NEMA Warns Of Famine As Farmers Flee Boko Haram Attacks by bakila: 12:13am On Mar 28, 2012
patriot2: So actually there will soon be famine in the north, so boko haram is implementing a genocide on the northerners!
The thing that is sure is that the north is politically getting weaker everyday and financially becoming a beggar.
Very soon the south will have too much pity to secede from the north.
Suffering frm excess consumption of kainkai at odd hours. Secession Genocide, weaker and calls by south to secede of pity for the north that blabbing is sign you suffer from a 40 year old hang over of pain.
Re: NEMA Warns Of Famine As Farmers Flee Boko Haram Attacks by Nobody: 12:14am On Mar 28, 2012
I am zulu
Re: NEMA Warns Of Famine As Farmers Flee Boko Haram Attacks by bakila: 12:20am On Mar 28, 2012
patriot2:
i don't know if you are aware but the federal army managed to cut biafra from the rest of the world so there was no way to import food into biafra. moreover farming was not possible because of the war conditions.

Should I say take heart. Oya take heart, drink cold water abi your generator na Ipass my neighbour? 1969, Federal Forces and War Conditions. My name no bi Ojukwu Or Gowon. Patriot hater.
Re: NEMA Warns Of Famine As Farmers Flee Boko Haram Attacks by Kobojunkie: 12:24am On Mar 28, 2012
cashmentor: As much as God Live's, there is just no way what soever that there'll be a Famine in Nigeria, a Country that feeds even other Nations! There'll only be a Famine in Nigeria when the Rain goes on Strike Forever! And even at that, it's effect will be minor, very Minor....atleast, the Egyptians grew crops those days with the Nile through Canals, talkless of even now that there're BoreHoles everywhere! *back to sleep*
A very simple question .. . . How does Nigeria, a country that still struggles to feed it's own. Feed Other nations? Cause you do know that over 85% of the food consumed in Nigeria is still imported?? grin grin
Re: NEMA Warns Of Famine As Farmers Flee Boko Haram Attacks by Kobojunkie: 12:26am On Mar 28, 2012
LagBlogger: Boko Haram will win this war on terror if Nigerians bow to their wishes! Run for cover to stay alive but die of hunger while running! Either way it seems death is calling, my advice therefore will be to stay put and fight back since they have nothing to lose.

Well, at least we know that running and pretending the problem is a remote one, solves nothing of this. So, maybe higher cost of food in all parts of the country might do the trick.
Re: NEMA Warns Of Famine As Farmers Flee Boko Haram Attacks by Nobody: 12:37am On Mar 28, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Well, at least we know that running and pretending the problem is a remote one, solves nothing of this. So, maybe higher cost of food in all parts of the country might do the trick.
actually food price would only increase in the north, in the rest of the country it will be business as usual. We have our own farms and we grow our own food. In Nigeria I never had to go to the market unless I was buying coka cola.
My grandma used to sell our produced food in the market and our fishermen neighbours used to sell their fish in the market, we have goats, cows and numerous other animals. i think northerners are not acquainted with the fact that they are going to suffer alone on this. wake up!!!!
Re: NEMA Warns Of Famine As Farmers Flee Boko Haram Attacks by Beync(f): 12:38am On Mar 28, 2012
ismhab:
i advice u 2 go back 2 primary 2, what is governor's furom?

Are u for real? ur governors keep begging for more money cant u see?
and very soon they'l beg for food.

It's obvious u attented almajiri school, am better off.
Re: NEMA Warns Of Famine As Farmers Flee Boko Haram Attacks by Nobody: 4:01am On Mar 28, 2012
Kobojunkie:

can you for once separate the middle belt from the north? The bulk of yam,potatoes been produced in what you call north are being produced in plateau,benue,nasarawa,taraba. States like kano,katsina,borno,yobe,gombe do not produce yam,potato, and I seriously doubt what the article says about borno/yobe producing rice;maybe they do but not in commercial qty. Rice is produced more in the south than north.as I mentioned earlier,the bulk of our rice is imported.There is no state in the south that does not produce yam in commercial quantity.the north and middle belt do produce perishables like onions,pepper,tomato,lettuse, cabbage,carrot and you find a lot of them in plateau state.

3 Likes

Re: NEMA Warns Of Famine As Farmers Flee Boko Haram Attacks by Kobojunkie: 4:51am On Mar 28, 2012
chima12: can you for once separate the middle belt from the north? The bulk of yam,potatoes been produced in what you call north are being produced in plateau,benue,nasarawa,taraba. States like kano,katsina,borno,yobe,gombe do not produce yam,potato, and I seriously doubt what the article says about borno/yobe producing rice;maybe they do but not in commercial qty. Rice is produced more in the south than north.as I mentioned earlier,the bulk of our rice is imported.There is no state in the south that does not produce yam in commercial quantity.the north and middle belt do produce perishables like onions,pepper,tomato,lettuse, cabbage,carrot and you find a lot of them in plateau state.

Well, only those who grew up with blindfolds on would attempt to separate Northern Nigeria into Middle Belt and Upper Belt, and believe that makes sense. No such exists except in the minds of those who want to live in denial of the reality in the country. There is North, South, East, West. Your politicians attempted dividing the people by creating silly regions which have only further driven a wedge between the peoples, and produced nothing. Why would any sane individual continue to sell that nonsense where common sense should reign?

Currently, the bulk of foods consumed in Nigeria( and not imported) comes from Northern States. If you cannot deal with that, then my friend, the region is not the issue, but your refusal to allow common sense reign.

No matter what food you are looking for, the bulk of it comes from the area North of the Niger/Benue.I have no where asked you if you people can plant tomatoes and all you have on your list in the south as well. No! What matters is the BULK of what is consumed in the nation(imports not considered)... and much of the supply for our food exports as well, still come from the Northern states.
Re: NEMA Warns Of Famine As Farmers Flee Boko Haram Attacks by cashmentor(m): 5:24am On Mar 28, 2012
Kobojunkie:
A very simple question .. . . How does Nigeria, a country that still struggles to feed it's own. Feed Other nations? Cause you do know that over 85% of the food consumed in Nigeria is still imported?? grin grin
A very simple answer! Apart from Rice, some fruits and food stuffs, Nigeria imports no other shit! We grow much of our food here in Nigeria: Beans, Garri, Yam, plantain, Meat, couple of Fish, etc etc etc.... Much of your Govts, Oh, my Govts Budget for almost every areas are jacked up only to end up in several Swiss Accounts or, simply mismanaged! We're in Nigeria, and hence, know these things! Or are u telling me that we now import Garri, all the Beans and Rice we consume, Big No! Nigeria use to Feed many Tiny Africa Countries and still does; do we import all the Food? No! Our Parents Grow them! So my point is===> Do we import food? Yes! But not as Much as the Govt Claims! We Grow enough to Feed ourselves, just complementing it some imports (mainly Rice)!
I know because, down here in the South, people are BigTime Farmers in Government Reserves, with Lagos, Abuja, Port etc. as their Major markets!

2 Likes

Re: NEMA Warns Of Famine As Farmers Flee Boko Haram Attacks by cashmentor(m): 5:24am On Mar 28, 2012
Nigeria still cannot experience total Famine, period!
Re: NEMA Warns Of Famine As Farmers Flee Boko Haram Attacks by Kobojunkie: 5:29am On Mar 28, 2012
cashmentor: A very simple answer! Apart from Rice, some fruits and food stuffs, Nigeria imports no other shit! We grow much of our food here in Nigeria: Beans, Garri, Yam, plantain, Meat, couple of Fish, etc etc etc.... Much of your Govts, Oh, my Govts Budget for almost every areas are jacked up only to end up in several Swiss Accounts or, simply mismanaged! We're in Nigeria, and hence, know these things! Or are u telling me that we now import Garri, all the Beans and Rice we consume, Big No! Nigeria use to Feed many Tiny Africa Countries and still does; do we import all the Food? No! Our Parents Grow them! So my point is===> Do we import food? Yes! But not as Much as the Govt Claims! We Grow enough to Feed ourselves, just complementing it some imports (mainly Rice)!
I know because, down here in the South, people are BigTime Farmers in Government Reserves, with Lagos, Abuja, Port etc. as their Major markets!

I am going to guess you are another one of them "I don't deal with facts since I can make it all up in my head and believe it true" younglings we have a plenty here on Nairaland. . . . Goodluck with that! grin
Re: NEMA Warns Of Famine As Farmers Flee Boko Haram Attacks by cashmentor(m): 5:45am On Mar 28, 2012
Kobojunkie:

I am going to guess you are another one of them "I don't deal with facts since I can make it all up in my head and believe it true" younglings we have a plenty here on Nairaland. . . . Goodluck with that! grin
yeah, right.....youngline? Haa! You got me screaming aloud there.... I see u won't give up on this, so, i'll just move on coz, i'm a daaame realist and not an idealist.... Youngline? Hmmm.

2 Likes

Re: NEMA Warns Of Famine As Farmers Flee Boko Haram Attacks by Kobojunkie: 5:50am On Mar 28, 2012
cashmentor: yeah, right.....youngline? Haa! You got me screaming aloud there.... I see u won't give up on this, so, i'll just move on coz, i'm a daaame realist and not an idealist.... Youngline? Hmmm.

Well, I call you a youngling because I find it hard to believe that anyone who went through the primary school, secondary school system during the time I did, and got a clear picture of Agriculture as it is in Nigeria, and the problems that continue to plague it, would make such assertions as the one you have so far. Over and over, you have flippantly posted outrageous responses, and false claims of our Agriculture in Nigeria. Since it seems you have chosen to ignore the suffering of the average Nigerian, what can I say? undecided undecided undecided

And no, I am not an idealist . . I am a realist . . . I take things AS THEY ARE, something you seem UNABLE TO.
Re: NEMA Warns Of Famine As Farmers Flee Boko Haram Attacks by cashmentor(m): 5:59am On Mar 28, 2012
http://www.punchng.com/business/business-economy/nigeria-tops-food-importing-nations-list-minister/ Nigeria imports, yes! But mainly Rice and other stuffs like fish and wheat, we still grow much of the food we eat here; "That's my Damme Point"! Mrs Kobojunkie, i know what i say and say what i know!
Re: NEMA Warns Of Famine As Farmers Flee Boko Haram Attacks by Kobojunkie: 6:02am On Mar 28, 2012
cashmentor: http://www.punchng.com/business/business-economy/nigeria-tops-food-importing-nations-list-minister/ Nigeria imports, yes! But mainly Rice and other stuffs like fish and wheat! Mrs Kobojonkie, i know what i say and say what i know!

Like I said . . .

Kobojunkie:

Well, I call you a youngling because I find it hard to believe that anyone who went through the primary school, secondary school system during the time I did, and got a clear picture of Agriculture as it is in Nigeria, and the problems that continue to plague it, would make such assertions as the one you have so far. Over and over, you have flippantly posted outrageous responses, and false claims of our Agriculture in Nigeria. Since it seems you have chosen to ignore the suffering of the average Nigerian, what can I say? undecided undecided undecided

And no, I am not an idealist . . I am a realist . . . I take things AS THEY ARE, something you seem UNABLE TO.
Re: NEMA Warns Of Famine As Farmers Flee Boko Haram Attacks by cashmentor(m): 6:05am On Mar 28, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Like I said . . .

*getting on my nerves* coz u don't understand Nigeria like Nigerians! Did u even read the link? No! So much for Ego!
Re: NEMA Warns Of Famine As Farmers Flee Boko Haram Attacks by emsquare(m): 6:17am On Mar 28, 2012
Da infamous: Nawaoo i knew things like food shortage will soon be a problem in nigeria because of bombing..............................................

Serious matter!
Re: NEMA Warns Of Famine As Farmers Flee Boko Haram Attacks by Nobody: 6:35am On Mar 28, 2012
The points I want us all to know on this thread are-
1. The south can be self sufficient in food production.staple foods like yam,cassava,rice are being produced in the south.The potential for increase in rice production is there.
2. As long as there is peace in benue,plateau,taraba,nasarawa; there will not be any food crises.
Its kind of strange for you,kobojunkie to be trying so hard to force middle belters-benue,plateau,taraba,nasarawa into so called one north.anyway,its just an observation and not the essence of this thread.
Re: NEMA Warns Of Famine As Farmers Flee Boko Haram Attacks by Kobojunkie: 12:40pm On Mar 28, 2012
chima12: The points I want us all to know on this thread are-
1. The south can be self sufficient in food production.staple foods like yam,cassava,rice are being produced in the south.The potential for increase in rice production is there.
2. As long as there is peace in benue,plateau,taraba,nasarawa; there will not be any food crises.
Its kind of strange for you,kobojunkie to be trying so hard to force middle belters-benue,plateau,taraba,nasarawa into so called one north.anyway,its just an observation and not the essence of this thread.

All you have above are what we call 'moot' points. . . . the topic being discussed does not ask you if the south can do it, or whether you want to consider the imaginary middle belt not a part of the region above the NIGER/BENUE anymore. We just experienced famine in 2008/2009, and we were told just that that the Government would invest million of dollars into Agriculture, finally. 3 years later, the situation remains gloomy. You are told of this and instead what you have to offer are irrelevant/useless arguments/points, that only make me wonder how much more time we have before our education system becomes complete mush.
Re: NEMA Warns Of Famine As Farmers Flee Boko Haram Attacks by Nobody: 8:16pm On Mar 30, 2012
[qI am zulu

1 Like

Re: NEMA Warns Of Famine As Farmers Flee Boko Haram Attacks by Dainfamous: 2:39pm On Apr 05, 2012
patriot2:
My friend, if your references are what you were taught in primary and secondary schools then I don't think you had a good university education. If you had a good university education then you should already be more qualified than the people who wrote the manuals of secondary schools and primary schools, I know I am.
You see the programs of secondary schools and primary schools in Nigeria change according to the rulers of the time and the propaganda they want to push on us. It is sad that you are still quoting primary school manuals. So sad.
I guess you thought the paroxysm of education was to know how to read and write, well you were wrong: you have to learn how to think!
This explains why you don't find it strange that a semi desertic region would be growing more food than a rain forest region. it is only in Nigeria that such a thing happens: in the other countries people in the sahel are dying of hunger but in Nigeria you want us to believe it is the sahel that is feeding the rain forest! Come on !
that use to keep me wonder how can dry DESERT place in the north can produce enough food to feed the whole nation?

1 Like

Re: NEMA Warns Of Famine As Farmers Flee Boko Haram Attacks by PointB: 12:00am On Apr 06, 2012
@topic,

"Those who sow wind, reap whirlwind."

Good Morning Core North!
Re: NEMA Warns Of Famine As Farmers Flee Boko Haram Attacks by AdeCharity: 6:27pm On May 25, 2012
BOKO HARAM tactib to SOUTH & EAST: SLOW POISONED DRIED & FRESH Pepper(Punch,6/1/12). Visit:WWW.Wealthandhealth.com.ng for VIDEO of affected people. Over 200,000 people visit daily. Did i bill u? Remember days of NOAH. Inform ur people. NGO.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigeria Don't Need An Ethno-Religious Biased Leader - Atiku / Function/role Of all over 5000 Obas/bales And Others In The Next 5 Years-Emperor / My Husband Is Too Fetish And Diabolic - Iara Oshiomhole

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.