Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,875 members, 7,802,810 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:15 PM

Ethiopian Liya Kebede: Isn't She Gorgeous? - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Ethiopian Liya Kebede: Isn't She Gorgeous? (15601 Views)

counter thread: Wearing Fake Butt And Boobs Pad Isn't Bad / Isn't She Beautiful? / See What Omotola wore for Konga Ad...isn't she lovely? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ethiopian Liya Kebede: Isn't She Gorgeous? by luvu567(f): 3:03am On Mar 25, 2006
Liya Kebede is an Ethiopian woman who is the first black woman to represent Estee Lauder, And is also on the cover of vogue.

<<mod: doc converted to images>>

Re: Ethiopian Liya Kebede: Isn't She Gorgeous? by chinani(f): 6:06am On Mar 25, 2006
YES! Or is the answer of course? She's one of my favorite models.
Re: Ethiopian Liya Kebede: Isn't She Gorgeous? by buckeye(m): 8:11am On Mar 25, 2006
@ luvu567,how come we have the same siggy?

Re: Ethiopian Liya Kebede: Isn't She Gorgeous? by Txlonghorn(m): 8:17am On Mar 25, 2006
I think she is smoking hot, but she just needs some more meat on them bones,all them sack of bones girls don't do it for me, the freaking look so fragile.
Re: Ethiopian Liya Kebede: Isn't She Gorgeous? by Hotstepper(f): 4:49pm On Mar 25, 2006
everyone can be the way you want them to be, its probably her nature that shez lke that so nomatter any amount of food will do anything.am aslo like that but would add when i get older or have a baby cuz it runs in the family, period, shz beautifullllllllllllllllllll
Re: Ethiopian Liya Kebede: Isn't She Gorgeous? by Skidoc(m): 4:55pm On Mar 25, 2006
I love them fragile. Fragile is tender and feminine. kiss What would I do with mighty Yokozuna? shocked
Re: Ethiopian Liya Kebede: Isn't She Gorgeous? by luvu567(f): 6:25pm On Mar 25, 2006
@buckeye, what is siggy smiley
Re: Ethiopian Liya Kebede: Isn't She Gorgeous? by mochafella(m): 6:33pm On Mar 25, 2006
luvu567:

@buckeye, what is siggy smiley

Ziggy Marley grin grin, j/k its your signature at the bottom of your post

buckeye: i betcha can't do it like me

luvu567: Betcha can't do it like me, AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Re: Ethiopian Liya Kebede: Isn't She Gorgeous? by luvu567(f): 6:36pm On Mar 25, 2006
ooooooooooooooo, thank u
Re: Ethiopian Liya Kebede: Isn't She Gorgeous? by buckeye(m): 6:50pm On Mar 25, 2006
the girl fine sha.

@ luvu so do u think u can do it like me ?
Re: Ethiopian Liya Kebede: Isn't She Gorgeous? by luvu567(f): 6:57pm On Mar 25, 2006
off course but the question is, can you do it like me cheesy?
Re: Ethiopian Liya Kebede: Isn't She Gorgeous? by sade511(f): 7:03pm On Mar 25, 2006
She is so pretty.
Re: Ethiopian Liya Kebede: Isn't She Gorgeous? by luvu567(f): 7:04pm On Mar 25, 2006
@Txlonghorn, her job is basically to be skinny.
Re: Ethiopian Liya Kebede: Isn't She Gorgeous? by MamaMary1(f): 8:47pm On Mar 25, 2006
She is beautiful.  But she has some European type features.  I think the Nigerian woman on the America's Next Top Model, Nnenna is more beautiful.  She has a more sub-Saharan look.  Beautiful bones.  Exquisite features.  My daughter-in-law has that kind of beauty.  Her name is also Nnenna. wink http://www.upn.com/shows/top_model6/pgall_models.php?m=nnenna&id=3
Re: Ethiopian Liya Kebede: Isn't She Gorgeous? by Skidoc(m): 8:54pm On Mar 25, 2006
Hmm I disagree. She is far more beautiful than Nnenna. Yes, she has Western features like her nose is long and her face is well-defined. That's why she's more beautiful. kiss It depends on what we all consider beautiful though, but you'll agree with me that the widely accepted type of beauty is the western one, sad but true.
Re: Ethiopian Liya Kebede: Isn't She Gorgeous? by uche1(m): 8:59pm On Mar 25, 2006
She looks pretty pregnant to me- and wow is she beautiful, love the colour of the dress against her skin. I wish her and her hubby all the best.
Re: Ethiopian Liya Kebede: Isn't She Gorgeous? by uche1(m): 9:00pm On Mar 25, 2006
She looks pretty pregnant to me- and wow she beautiful, love the colour of the dress against her skin. I wish her and her hubby all the best.
Re: Ethiopian Liya Kebede: Isn't She Gorgeous? by Imani(f): 9:52pm On Mar 25, 2006
She is really pretty. Go girl, Africa is behind you.
Re: Ethiopian Liya Kebede: Isn't She Gorgeous? by chinani(f): 10:03pm On Mar 25, 2006
@ Mama Mary

Your destined to have pretty grand babies. smiley

@ Skidoc

No we do not all agree that Western beauty is more accepted or pleasing. Can you support this assertion? I think not. You would need empirical data from the countries/places where we dwell and identify with. This would include Asia and the "East". Nigeria faces "West" in the geographic and broader sense so perhaps this is how you've formed your views.

What popular "West-ern" culture considers to be European is not actually the property of Europeans alone though the "look" is pervasive in their societies. But, I've never met anyone who thinks that a "well-defined" face is a European or "West-ern" look. Wonders shall never cease. . .
Re: Ethiopian Liya Kebede: Isn't She Gorgeous? by chinani(f): 10:12pm On Mar 25, 2006
Liya Kebede is also a Good Will Ambassador for the UN. She tries to help women and children. I read an article about her in Vogue (or was it Vanity Fair?). Anyhow, I'll try to find, then post the link. But, she's been working with charities and self-help groups in Ethiopia for a long time now. She started almost as soon as she got her 1st big time modelling gig so this isn't a publicity stunt or anything. The lady seems to have her head on her shoulders. She's married and has a son who's about 6. I read a couple years ago that she lives in Chi-town. Chi has a large Ethiopian community.
Re: Ethiopian Liya Kebede: Isn't She Gorgeous? by Rhodalyn(f): 10:12pm On Mar 25, 2006
the lady get bones
Re: Ethiopian Liya Kebede: Isn't She Gorgeous? by larger20(m): 10:16pm On Mar 25, 2006
wow hottie
Re: Ethiopian Liya Kebede: Isn't She Gorgeous? by MamaMary1(f): 10:33pm On Mar 25, 2006
Thank you, Chinani.  I already have a beautiful baby grandson.  I haven't seen him yet.  They are all coming to the US soon from Nigeria.  I read this site to learn about Nigerian culture and attitudes so I can be somewhat informed about the country and be able to share more with my new Daughter-in-law.  I have been reading many books and studying maps and visiting web sites.  I love this site the best.  So many positive and kind people here.  But as to "ideals of beauty", one must admit that it is subjective.  However, as a person of northern European heritage (I'm pink, not white  wink), I've always thought dark skinned people are more handsome.
Re: Ethiopian Liya Kebede: Isn't She Gorgeous? by zebudaya(m): 11:18pm On Mar 25, 2006
The ethiopian girl is gorgeous. wow!! The ethiopian girls I meet look like that. preety face with a banging body.

Nnenna is a very preety girl. But i kinda like fragile features/ black girl that has western looks.

but they are both preety girls!. It's whats inside that matters from here on.
Re: Ethiopian Liya Kebede: Isn't She Gorgeous? by luvu567(f): 11:21pm On Mar 25, 2006
Almost all Ethiopian women are beautiful. They have beautiful skin and nice ass hair.
Re: Ethiopian Liya Kebede: Isn't She Gorgeous? by Skidoc(m): 12:07am On Mar 26, 2006
Chinani, you seem to engage in a lot of baseless arguments here and there. I don't have to talk much. If you are someone who reads widely, you will definitely know what I'm talking about. Except if you just want to close your eyes to the facts. How come Liya Kebede is the very first African woman to be spokesgirl for Estee Lauder after all these decades? How come Agbani Darego is the only black to have won Miss World and that came after decades of the contest history? Don't you think that has to do with the fact that African women with African features are not widely accepted as being beautiful? Go and search for list of women considered to be the most beautiful in the world, how many Africans are there? that's why I said it's sad but true. Of course, African women are beautiful but how many people agree? Even the african women themselves do not believe in themselves, they try as much as possible to look Western, isn't it true? Note that I said it depends on what each one considers as beautiful but the widely accepted is the Western one. I never said we all agree, so don't quote what I never said.

Skidoc:

It depends on what we all consider beautiful though, but you'll agree with me that the widely accepted type of beauty is the western one, sad but true.

chinani:

No we do not all agree that Western beauty is more accepted or pleasing. Can you support this assertion? I think not.
Re: Ethiopian Liya Kebede: Isn't She Gorgeous? by chinani(f): 2:10am On Mar 26, 2006
I had no idea I was arguing. Anyhow, your reply was utter rubbish.

Skidoc:
Chinani, you seem to engage in a lot of baseless arguments here and there.

Please, don't insult me. You stated your opinion and I stated mine. That's it. You are free to enumerate my arguments since they are so many and tell how each is baseless but don't try and put me down with rubbish.

Skidoc:

Except if you just want to close your eyes to the facts. How come Liya Kebede is the very first African woman to be spokesgirl for Estee Lauder after all these decades? that's why I said it's sad but true. I never said we all agree, so don't quote what I never said.

It is because Europeans did not previously think of African women as beautiful. Did that make it so? Tell me, is Liya beautiful b/c she is an Estee model or is she beautiful b/c she is beautiful?

Agbani & Liya are successful b/c of the way they look. They are in the "vanity" business so it makes sense. But, no this does not "prove" anything other than that their beauty is accepted by a French/Euro company. Tell me, are their faces used in Lebanon or South Korea to sell make-up or perfume? If black faces are not used in this area does it "prove" one thing or another.
What a person believes does not make it so. But let me not argue.

Skidoc:
How come Agbani Darego is the only black to have won Miss World and that came after decades of the contest history?

Beauty contests are old. But they are new to Nigeria. Perhaps you are too. . . What has happened in Nigeria is indicative of what happens in West Africa and other African nations. When a new idea/contest comes to a place, it takes awhile for the current people/culture to accept it and participate. For instance, the Miss Nigeria contest wasn't always popular but now it is. Agbani was the MBGN, a contest that did not begin until 1986. Miss World began in 1951. Should I subtract for you?

Let me tell you that the resources and training countries can devote to these girls can influence the outcome b/c it is a "vanity" pageant. So, if a country like Nigeria can not train these girls we will not be successful against other countries. Also, it is not in our culture to prance around in swimsuits, bikins or the like. The culture and people had to change and be open to beauty pagents before they could win, or is this news? If you read up on Agbani you'll find that her father thought about it for along time before he allowed her to even enter. They're several threads about Nigerian beauty pagents on Nairaland, go[i] read[/i].

Do you not know that Black, esp. dark, skin was deemed inferior even in this day and age! Men do not pick models etc. out of the kindness of their hearts they do it to move commerce so a woman's beauty is secondary when you are in places with a racial hierarchy.

Skidoc:
Don't you think that has to do with the fact that African women with African features are not widely accepted as being beautiful?

No.

Skidoc:
Go and search for list of women considered to be the most beautiful in the world, how many Africans are there?

If beauty is subjective as I think and as you imply from your post, tell me, which list should I rely on? Yours? My own? Queen Elizabeth's? I'm not going to look for a list that doesn't exist when my opinion is that there is NO one "widely accepted" idea of beauty. There are many simultaneously accepted forms of beauty that can not be quantified due to the nature of beauty and beauty appreciation. For the sake of argument, since I like to indulge as you say, send me a list. . .

Skidoc:
Of course, African women are beautiful but how many people agree?

If someone said the world was flat would it matter how many people agree? You sound like a man who enjoys jumping on a band wagon and screaming ignorantly with the masses. The emperor has no clothes, but you would compliment him sha!

Skidoc:
Even the African women themselves do not believe in themselves, they try as much as possible to look Western, isn't it true?

Is this where your ideas are formed? How can one look "Western"? I can change my clothes but not my nose. Also, women play to gallery.Meaning: they [i]do [/i]try to anticipate what men like and do the best with what they have. This doesn't mean they don't believe in their beauty! Come to Cali and you'll think different. In America the most popular plastic surgeries are breast augmentation and butt implants! (No kidding) And the women who have plastic surgeries most often are white women trying to achieve the BLACK AFRICAN FORM.

Mr. I am not sure which or what type of African women you are acquainted with. Maybe you live in an area where men think like you & the women have inferiority complexes. That has nothing to do with me or the African women I know. Here when people say you look "[my "tribe"]" it's a compliment. . .

Skidoc:
Note that I said it depends on what each one considers as beautiful but the widely accepted is the Western one.

Yes it does depend on what one considers beautiful. We agree on that. However you neglected to send me any empirical data on why Western beauty is the widely accepted one. You keep rattling off you opinion which, excuse me, doesn't me much to a stranger.

Skidoc:
If you are someone who reads widely, you will definitely know what I'm talking about.

Yes I'm very well read. In fact, I read so "widely" that I know much of what's written is utter bullshit. Please, sir, don't read "widely", read wisely, you might learn something. You might learn that beauty in Western cultures is not static b/c the cultures are not monolithic and also change etc etc.

Skidoc:
I don't have to talk much.

Then don't. Your ideas are provincial. None of your ideas are original so your silence won't hurt me.

angry
This is all quite tiresome. . .I don't think your ideas are stupid only uninterrogated. Think if a European based company picks a woman with European features to model, does this mean that "Western beauty is widely accepted" or does it mean that the company markets similar faces to their consumers. You're mistaking capitalism for art or empirical data.
Re: Ethiopian Liya Kebede: Isn't She Gorgeous? by larger20(m): 2:50am On Mar 26, 2006
This skidoc boy again
Re: Ethiopian Liya Kebede: Isn't She Gorgeous? by Txlonghorn(m): 3:54am On Mar 26, 2006
Skidoc:

Hmm I disagree. She is far more beautiful than Nnenna. Yes, she has Western features like her nose is long and her face is well-defined. That's why she's more beautiful. kiss It depends on what we all consider beautiful though, but you'll agree with me that the widely accepted type of beauty is the western one, sad but true.

Dude speak for youself, so sad to see some of my Nigerian brothers brain washed by the western media.
Re: Ethiopian Liya Kebede: Isn't She Gorgeous? by larger20(m): 4:39am On Mar 26, 2006
Txlonghorn:

Dude speak for youself, so sad to see some of my Nigerian brothers brain washed by the western media.

Ethiopians i think are mixuture of white and africans due to the history of that country so he is write back saying that she looks cassusian somehow. Ever head that ethiopia is corrupt or have u heard ethiopia is facing serious problems other african countires are facing? Their economony is growing like the ghana economy. Neverthless this notion has nothing to do with being mixture of white and blacks. Ethiopians are smart as hell, i have two in my school, they r just too smart and beating the whites hands down and they r not into making too much noise like loud mouth nigerians
Re: Ethiopian Liya Kebede: Isn't She Gorgeous? by comechop(m): 6:09am On Mar 26, 2006
If una won fight, make una carry am outside of Nairaland pls. Jeez! Every small thing argument.
Re: Ethiopian Liya Kebede: Isn't She Gorgeous? by Skidoc(m): 6:03pm On Mar 26, 2006
Larger20, so you are still beefing me, huh? tongue

Chinani, like I said before I'm going to let it rest. I could not even make any sense out of your looooong prose. Why don't you get some sensible points before arguing with people That's just a suggestion. I'm definitely not on your level, sorry. Maybe when you read up more and become learned, you can come back for an intellectual conversation. tongue I can't believe you spent all that time typing and you couldn't even drive a single point home, that's not hot! cheesy

Txlonghorn, I'm not brainwashed by any western media. We all appreciate beauty differently, that's why I said it depends on what each one considers beautiful.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I Want To Be Beautiful! / 18 WAYS TO TIE A NECKTIE Presented by: Real Men Real Style.com (photo) / Somalis Rated #6 Best Looking People On Earth.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.