Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,239 members, 7,807,805 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:33 PM

Man Given New Face, Nose Teeth And Jaw After 15 Years Living As A Recluse - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Man Given New Face, Nose Teeth And Jaw After 15 Years Living As A Recluse (1472 Views)

10 Things You Eat That Destroys Your Teeth And How To Deal With Them. / Photos: Popular Nigerian CEO Has Lived With HIV For 15 Years / Boy Given New Windpipe In Pioneering Op (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Man Given New Face, Nose Teeth And Jaw After 15 Years Living As A Recluse by ektbear: 11:25am On Mar 28, 2012
Man Given New Face, Nose Teeth And Jaw After 15 Years Living As A Recluse

Medical science is just amazing!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2012/mar/28/face-transplant-richard-lee-norris?newsfeed=true
Re: Man Given New Face, Nose Teeth And Jaw After 15 Years Living As A Recluse by ektbear: 2:58pm On Mar 29, 2012
ttt
Re: Man Given New Face, Nose Teeth And Jaw After 15 Years Living As A Recluse by nduchucks: 3:01pm On Mar 29, 2012
This is the most beautiful work of medicine, I've ever seen. Exquisite.
Re: Man Given New Face, Nose Teeth And Jaw After 15 Years Living As A Recluse by blacksta(m): 3:07pm On Mar 29, 2012
Nobody discusses the disadvantages. Are you aware that it is very possible that the new face be rejected by man's dna, tissues, muscles, and other stuff.
Re: Man Given New Face, Nose Teeth And Jaw After 15 Years Living As A Recluse by nduchucks: 3:09pm On Mar 29, 2012
blacksta: Nobody discusses the disadvantages. Are you aware that it is very possible that the new face by rejected by man's dna, tissues, muscles, and other stuff.

Are you also aware that your lover may be run over by a trailer some day? Did that stop you from sex? olodo
Re: Man Given New Face, Nose Teeth And Jaw After 15 Years Living As A Recluse by blacksta(m): 3:10pm On Mar 29, 2012
Culled from the article

" Dr Rolf Barth, a transplant surgeon, said researchers had found there were fewer rejections with transplants involving a large amount of bone marrow with its own blood supply. Norris would have to take immunosuppression drugs for the rest of his life, to keep his body from rejecting the donated face. "[b]Culled from the article "
Re: Man Given New Face, Nose Teeth And Jaw After 15 Years Living As A Recluse by blacksta(m): 3:12pm On Mar 29, 2012
ndu_chucks:

Are you also aware that your lover may be run over by a trailer some day? Did that stop you from sex? olodo

lol

oga sir - what is your point
Re: Man Given New Face, Nose Teeth And Jaw After 15 Years Living As A Recluse by ektbear: 3:12pm On Mar 29, 2012
He is taking some sort of immunosuppressant to prevent his body from rejecting the transplants, if I remember correctly from the article.

Hmm, though now I wonder what would happen though if they stopped being effective..?

Anyway, having to take drugs for the rest of your life is probably not ideal. But I think the benefits outweigh the negatives.

I agree with you ndu_chucks. Bioengineering/biosciences/medicine to me personally are probably the most interesting careers one can choose.
Re: Man Given New Face, Nose Teeth And Jaw After 15 Years Living As A Recluse by blacksta(m): 3:15pm On Mar 29, 2012
A common side-effect of many immunosuppressive drugs is immunodeficiency, because the majority of them act non-selectively, resulting in increased susceptibility to infections and decreased cancer immunosurveillance. There are also other side-effects, such as hypertension, dyslipidemia, hyperglycemia, peptic ulcers, lipodystrophy, moon face, liver and kidney injury. The immunosuppressive drugs also interact with other medicines and affect their metabolism and action. Actual or suspected immunosuppressive agents can be evaluated in terms of their effects on lymphocyte subpopulations in tissues using immunohistochemistry.[1]

from frying pan to fire.
Re: Man Given New Face, Nose Teeth And Jaw After 15 Years Living As A Recluse by ektbear: 3:18pm On Mar 29, 2012
Did you look at the before picture?

Anyone in his position would take all of those possible side effects in a heartbeat in order to look and feel normal again.

Imagine being a recluse due to horrible disfigurement during some of the prime years of your life (20s and 30s).

No women, no friends, no job, depression, anxiety, suicidal thoughts.
Re: Man Given New Face, Nose Teeth And Jaw After 15 Years Living As A Recluse by blacksta(m): 3:30pm On Mar 29, 2012
ekt_bear: Did you look at the before picture?

Anyone in his position would take all of those possible side effects in a heartbeat in order to look and feel normal again.

Imagine being a recluse due to horrible disfigurement during some of the prime years of your life (20s and 30s).

No women, no friends, no job, depression, anxiety, suicidal thoughts.

I am not against the surgery , I would have probably done the same thing. I am only saying more work should be done in area of foreign organs been accepted by our body without or limited need of suppression drug. I am sure one would not like to be prone to a heart attack with a new face.

(1) (Reply)

SHOCKING PHOTOS: A 17 Year Old Boy's Leg Got Swollen Like A Car Tyre / Need A Medical Advice / 14 Yr Old Boy Who Suffers From Genetic Disorder That Has ALREADY Killed Five Of

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.