Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,474 members, 7,808,720 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:57 PM

Atheist State Your Reasons For Not Believing In God/Religion - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheist State Your Reasons For Not Believing In God/Religion (13670 Views)

Athiesm The "No God" Religion / A Library Of The Best 40 Atheist Arguments Against God/religion (NOW WITH PICS) / Atheism: The “No-God” Religion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Atheist State Your Reasons For Not Believing In God/Religion by dalaman: 2:57pm On Mar 28, 2012
There seems to be many atheist and agnostic present here these days. The question is simple, I want the atheist and agnostics to state their reasons for not believing in God/Religion.
Re: Atheist State Your Reasons For Not Believing In God/Religion by bittyend(m): 3:39pm On Mar 28, 2012
I believe in God but I don't believe in religion. Religion has brought more curses to my people than blessings. The first time I was in Nigeria, I was shocked about the number of churches and mosques in Lagos, yet people were living in squalor and poverty. It made me question the usefulness of religion, if with all the religious places - yet the only thing we benefit from them are deaths and poverty. Nigerians have been indoctrinated to stupor, and till we change our mentality, embrace spirituality and NOT religion, we'll continue to be the way we are.

And what happened to our ancestral gods? Are they dead? As far as I'm concerned, IFA offers more spirituality than Christianity and Islam combined. I was also shocked to see the paintings of Michael Angelo a la white Jesus everywhere lipsrsealed That shows we still live in the medieval age in Nigeria. lipsrsealed

3 Likes

Re: Atheist State Your Reasons For Not Believing In God/Religion by Fhemmmy: 3:42pm On Mar 28, 2012
bittyend: I believe in God but I don't believe in religion. Religion has brought more curses to my people than blessings. The first time I was in Nigeria, I was shocked about the number of churches and mosques in Lagos, yet people were living in squalor and poverty. It made me question the usefulness of religion, if with all the religious places - yet the only thing we benefit from them are deaths and poverty. Nigerians have been indoctrinated to stupor, and till we change our mentality, embrace spirituality and NOT religion, we'll continue to be the way we are.

And what happened to our ancestry gods? Are they dead? As far as I'm concerned, IFA offers more spirituality than Christianity and Islam combined. I was also shocked to see the paintings of Michael Angelo a la white Jesus everywhere lipsrsealed That shows we still live in the medieval age in Nigeria. lipsrsealed

Was religion the reason why people are poor and living in poverty?
Is religion supposed to eradicate poverty?
How come you blv in the govt then, that supposed to provide the basic amenities for the people to be able to do more and get out out of poverty.
Re: Atheist State Your Reasons For Not Believing In God/Religion by asoderock(m): 3:42pm On Mar 28, 2012
I think it is the theists who should prove why they believe in God. The burden of proof lie on the one who believes something exist.

5 Likes

Re: Atheist State Your Reasons For Not Believing In God/Religion by Fhemmmy: 3:44pm On Mar 28, 2012
asoderock: I think it is the theists who should prove why they believe in God. The burden of proof lie on the one who believes something exist.

I thought those that blvs have always said why they blv . .
Re: Atheist State Your Reasons For Not Believing In God/Religion by martyns303(m): 3:45pm On Mar 28, 2012
Am a christian and that's because I was born into a christian family and grew up with that ideology, most time people don't choose for themselves.
Re: Atheist State Your Reasons For Not Believing In God/Religion by Fhemmmy: 3:45pm On Mar 28, 2012
martyns303: Am a christian and that's because I was born into a christian family and grew up with that ideology, most time people don't choose for themselves.

You could still decide not to follow the tradition of the home . . .
Re: Atheist State Your Reasons For Not Believing In God/Religion by kaosic: 3:53pm On Mar 28, 2012
I will put it simply: Religion has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with God and/or faith. That said, it does not mean that I believe in any God--I think that anything can be made into a God. My belief in life is in three things: Love, Kindness, and Forgiveness.

@bittyend--you are absolutely correct. Nigerians in Nigeria are living in blindness due to fear--of what exactly, I do not know nor do I care to know.

3 Likes

Re: Atheist State Your Reasons For Not Believing In God/Religion by bittyend(m): 3:53pm On Mar 28, 2012
Fhemmmy:

Was religion the reason why people are poor and living in poverty?
Is religion supposed to eradicate poverty?
How come you blv in the govt then, that supposed to provide the basic amenities for the people to be able to do more and get out out of poverty.

The religious mentality has mad people lazy, whilst expecting the biblical manna to fall from heaven, and it created the almajiris in the north.

3 Likes

Re: Atheist State Your Reasons For Not Believing In God/Religion by antartica(m): 3:57pm On Mar 28, 2012
I cant stop laughing,you are really strange to nigeria,that is why u are were shocked at what u saw. It makes no diffrence whether christ is depicted as KKK grand master or blue eyed NAZI,as long as it is oyinbo teachings that promises them eternal life and mannas from heaven,they will believe at the expense of their own natural instincts and common sense.

1 Like

Re: Atheist State Your Reasons For Not Believing In God/Religion by Fhemmmy: 3:57pm On Mar 28, 2012
bittyend:

The religious mentality has mad people lazy, whilst expecting the biblical manna to fall from heaven, and it created the almajiris in the north.

That is not the religion that made people lazy . . . it is what they already have in them.
Cos even the bible says that a "hand that does not work should not eat", the bible says that a lazy man will eat bones and wear rags,so how could religion now make them lazy.
People are just generally lazy and wanna be lazy . . . .

1 Like

Re: Atheist State Your Reasons For Not Believing In God/Religion by kay10: 3:59pm On Mar 28, 2012
I do try to believe in God however what of ufo that is in another planet,who created them?Can we say it was God that created them.The reason i m so particular about this issue is because it written in the bible how God created earth.It has now be proved that we never live alone.There are a lot ufo that visit moon occasionally for mineral drilling.How are they created?I need someone to convince me that it was God that created them.

1 Like

Re: Atheist State Your Reasons For Not Believing In God/Religion by martyns303(m): 4:00pm On Mar 28, 2012
Fhemmmy:

You could still decide not to follow the tradition of the home . . .
Yes I could, but like I said it's an ideology, just has I've been made to believe that christianity is the right religion so have that muslim kid next door made to believe that islam is the right one and so those is the Buddhist, atheist etc. And the one difficult thing in life is trying to change how people think and what they believe in, as it is what defines that individual. Ziglar said in one of his books that " we all make DECISIONS based on our FUNDERMENTAL BELIEVES and character qualities" its one of my fav quotes.
Re: Atheist State Your Reasons For Not Believing In God/Religion by emmysam2: 4:01pm On Mar 28, 2012
bittyend: I believe in God but I don't believe in religion.

Is there any correllation between God and Religion? If Yes, then your statement is silly.
Re: Atheist State Your Reasons For Not Believing In God/Religion by stephenponti(m): 4:03pm On Mar 28, 2012
I had a very convicting incitive delibration with a Freethinker/Atheist on fcbook. U might find some valuable facts from the lines of our delibration. Here is the link. m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=302735613126601&id=100001704943944&refid=0&_ft_=fbid.10150701199378678
Re: Atheist State Your Reasons For Not Believing In God/Religion by matinos28(m): 4:04pm On Mar 28, 2012
i beliv everythin we kno about religion happend in the past. We better forget the past and focus on the future. Thats science 'the future'
Re: Atheist State Your Reasons For Not Believing In God/Religion by bittyend(m): 4:05pm On Mar 28, 2012
Fhemmmy:

That is not the religion that made people lazy . . . it is what they already have in them.
Cos even the bible says that a "hand that does not work should not eat", the bible says that a lazy man will eat bones and wear rags,so how could religion now make them lazy.
People are just generally lazy and wanna be lazy . . . .

Generally lazy, huh? Good luck, mate.
Re: Atheist State Your Reasons For Not Believing In God/Religion by Nobody: 4:06pm On Mar 28, 2012
Fhemmmy:

I thought those that blvs have always said why they blv . .

Same for those who don't believe , we have always said why we don't believe.
Re: Atheist State Your Reasons For Not Believing In God/Religion by igbo2011(m): 4:07pm On Mar 28, 2012
I am agnostic not atheist. I believe in some ultimate upper being. But if you look at the history of christianity. It is a copy from Ancient Egypt spirituality. Look up Horus=Jesus Isis=Mary A set=Mary Magdalene Ankh-Cross 42 principles of Ma at=10 commandments

http://lindeay.files./2011/02/isis-horus-to-mary-jesus.jpg

Read the book Christianity before Christ by Jon Jackson to understand more

1 Like

Re: Atheist State Your Reasons For Not Believing In God/Religion by Fhemmmy: 4:08pm On Mar 28, 2012
kay10: I do try to believe in God however what of ufo that is in another planet,who created them?Can we say it was God that created them.The reason i m so particular about this issue is because it written in the bible how God created earth.It has now be proved that we never live alone.There are a lot ufo that visit moon occasionally for mineral drilling.How are they created?I need someone to convince me that it was God that created them.

Did you hear where it said, that and everything else, He created them?
Also, mind you that the scientist are even yet to show us that there are live in all other galaxy . . they are still speculating.
Re: Atheist State Your Reasons For Not Believing In God/Religion by Adekdammy: 4:10pm On Mar 28, 2012
@op, God created d heavens and d earth, so those planets are part of d heavens d bible referred to in gen 1 vs 1 (niv), so my dear, God exists
Re: Atheist State Your Reasons For Not Believing In God/Religion by eghost247(m): 4:10pm On Mar 28, 2012
Do Good
Re: Atheist State Your Reasons For Not Believing In God/Religion by cold(m): 4:10pm On Mar 28, 2012
Well one can choose to believe in a supreme being without aligning with any religion.Religion is man made confusion.In fact,looking at the Christians and Muslims today,there's no incentive to become one.All I see is pure,plain,unbridled hypocrisy.It's all charade.Pray,can anyone tell me why in spite of the fact that we have one of the fastest growth rate of Christianity & Islam in Nigeria,we remain one of the most corrupt,impoverished and retrogressive country in the world whilst agnostic & atheistic countries are developing at a maddening pace.

1 Like

Re: Atheist State Your Reasons For Not Believing In God/Religion by Fhemmmy: 4:12pm On Mar 28, 2012
bittyend:

Generally lazy, huh? Good luck, mate.

Yes, very true,cos the bible constantly saying, God will bless what we have in our hands, and when a man has nothing in his hands, what will God bless.
Nigerians, are more into their own pride than what they will eat and that is what sometimes, makes a man that has no job and yet dont wanna do construction, cos his friends will see him, but still wanna have a wife and kids while he cant take care of himself.
is all that cos of religion?
Re: Atheist State Your Reasons For Not Believing In God/Religion by Okijajuju1(m): 4:15pm On Mar 28, 2012
I dont believe in a God I cant hear, see nor talk to yet he demands I worship him everyday
Re: Atheist State Your Reasons For Not Believing In God/Religion by Fhemmmy: 4:17pm On Mar 28, 2012
Okija_juju: I dont believe in a God I cant hear, see nor talk to yet he demands I worship him everyday

Could you explain all around you.
even the air you breathe . . .
Re: Atheist State Your Reasons For Not Believing In God/Religion by Aladinn(m): 4:24pm On Mar 28, 2012
emmysam2: bittyend: I believe in God but I don't believe in religion.

Is there any correllation between God and Religion? If Yes, then your statement is silly.
What religion was Abraham practising before he found God, or God found him? What religion was Moses before he found God in the burning bush? Answer please, and lets know the sillier between you two.
Re: Atheist State Your Reasons For Not Believing In God/Religion by mercenaryx(m): 4:30pm On Mar 28, 2012
martyns303: Am a christian and that's because I was born into a christian family and grew up with that ideology, most time people don't choose for themselves.
Is that the answer to the question?
Re: Atheist State Your Reasons For Not Believing In God/Religion by Jacobx007: 4:30pm On Mar 28, 2012
All these things u guys r sayin,do u really mean it? if the answer is yes,then somtin needs to b done fast to deliver u frm the hands of the evil one(lucifer). Incredible...
Re: Atheist State Your Reasons For Not Believing In God/Religion by mercenaryx(m): 4:32pm On Mar 28, 2012
Fhemmmy:

Yes, very true,cos the bible constantly saying, God will bless what we have in our hands, and when a man has nothing in his hands, what will God bless.
Nigerians, are more into their own pride than what they will eat and that is what sometimes, makes a man that has no job and yet dont wanna do construction, cos his friends will see him, but still wanna have a wife and kids while he cant take care of himself.
So if I am a skilled rapist that means God will bless my skills just curious!
Re: Atheist State Your Reasons For Not Believing In God/Religion by mercenaryx(m): 4:33pm On Mar 28, 2012
Fhemmmy:

Re: Atheist State Your Reasons For Not Believing In God/Religion by hillsate: 4:33pm On Mar 28, 2012

So because you were given birth to in a garage, it now means you are a car.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Not Attending Church Every Sunday. Is It Such A Big Sin? / What was the traditional religion of the Hausas or fulani before Islam / In Genesis 1: 26, God Was Talking To Someone, Do You Know The Person ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.