Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,352 members, 7,808,229 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:06 AM

Nairaland Needs A Science Section - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Nairaland Needs A Science Section (1145 Views)

Seun Nairaland Needs Spiritual Cleansing / Science Section! We Need One! / Nairaland Needs Moderators Urgently (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nairaland Needs A Science Section by Nebeuwa(m): 1:23am On Mar 29, 2012
Message to the owner of this fine website:

I feel that Nairaland is in desperate need for a Science section. As I browse this forum, I see many people interested in discussing science topics, but there are no sections where we can discuss advancements in fields such as biotechnology, physics and astronomy. It would be wonderful if you could create a section that is dedicated solely to scientific endeavors. Maybe that will help inspire the next generation of Nigerians to enter the different fields of science, where the possibilities are endless.

Nairaland is already a conduit, for the exchange of ideas. It would be wonderful if you could add that section, because it would be very interesting to hear the various views of Nigerians who are interested in science.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Needs A Science Section by Seun(m): 1:26am On Mar 29, 2012
We can start with a science thread and see where that leads us.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Needs A Science Section by Beaf: 1:30am On Mar 29, 2012
I asked for this two years ago and there was strong support for it, but NL never took it up. You can read more here:
https://www.nairaland.com/377207/seun-kosovo-request-development-subsection
Re: Nairaland Needs A Science Section by Nebeuwa(m): 1:36am On Mar 29, 2012
Seun: We can start with a science thread and see where that leads us.

I guess there has to be a demand for a section to be created I presume?

Beaf: I asked for this two years ago and there was strong support for it, but NL never took it up. You can read more here:
https://www.nairaland.com/377207/seun-kosovo-request-development-subsection

Just when I thought I had an innovative idea, you come to burst my bubble. lol Well it is good to know, that there are people who have that strong desire.
Re: Nairaland Needs A Science Section by Seun(m): 1:50am On Mar 29, 2012
It seems to me that Development and Science are completely different things.
However, people have asked for a science section a couple of times.
Re: Nairaland Needs A Science Section by Pozzy(m): 4:02am On Mar 29, 2012
I think that will be good
Re: Nairaland Needs A Science Section by OAM4J: 4:59am On Mar 29, 2012
Yes I remember one of the earlier requests: https://www.nairaland.com/716782/science-section-we-need-one
Re: Nairaland Needs A Science Section by olawalebabs(m): 6:13am On Mar 29, 2012
Am even suggesting Law section too. It'll help to shed more lights on some issues.
Re: Nairaland Needs A Science Section by Acidosis(m): 6:23am On Mar 29, 2012
why not bring up your scientific post on "general" or "education" or "career" section. Somehow, topics would definitely fit in there. I doubt the effectiveness of a science section
Re: Nairaland Needs A Science Section by Nobody: 6:35am On Mar 29, 2012
I wonder why there was no science section from the start, when there is a tech section! Imagine, a climate change topic was moved to health section! there had been some request along this line b4 but I think Seun is biased against science, maybe he is a religious bigot, lol
Re: Nairaland Needs A Science Section by Seun(m): 8:29am On Mar 29, 2012
We supply new sections based on demand. Imagine if we didn't have a politics section. People would post politics topics all over the place and we would have to create the section because the need would be very obvious. That's really how we create new sections. Science isn't very popular in Nigeria. We don't believe in it.
Re: Nairaland Needs A Science Section by Nobody: 9:05am On Mar 29, 2012
Seun, by implication you are saying we are ilogical society whose deveoopment is light years away!I can understand you though.
Re: Nairaland Needs A Science Section by remmyz(m): 9:15am On Mar 29, 2012
Seun: We can start with a science thread and see where that leads us.
i beleive it wont take u 5min to create it. y nt do dat now and see ppls reaction to it.
Re: Nairaland Needs A Science Section by wirinet(m): 9:34am On Mar 29, 2012
Seun: We supply new sections based on demand. Imagine if we didn't have a politics section. People would post politics topics all over the place and we would have to create the section because the need would be very obvious. That's really how we create new sections. Science isn't very popular in Nigeria. We don't believe in it.

I agree with Oga Seun on this one. Nairaland reflects the Nigerian society and the most important issues to the average Nigerian is
1. Politics
2. Religion - Christianity and Islam
3. Business - making money, legally or otherwise.
4. Sports - especially man u,arsenal, Chelsea, Barcelona, etc.
5. Romance - marriage, relationships and séx
6. Food and drinks

There is some interests in phones, computers, and IT issues, but science is a no-no.
Science and technology issues is like a foreign language even within our schools and higher institutions. That is why you do not see publication of science journals within our universities.

If you check our vendors and magazine stands, you would not find science related magazines.

Most pure science related issues are found mostly in the religious section of nairaland. This is usually a fall out of the hot duel between theists and atheist in arguments explaining observable and unobservable physical phenomena.
Re: Nairaland Needs A Science Section by TonySpike: 9:54am On Mar 29, 2012
Mr.Seun, why don't you create the section first and see the responses from NLers, say, for the first 6 months? Personally, this web forum has everything else except a fora for scientists, engineers and technologists. We need this section to discuss research problems, progress in the scientific world and of course, ample solutions to emerging technological and scientific issues in Nigeria. I believe Nigeria is seriously lacking serious scientific engagements and your site could prove useful. Just my opinion, though.
Re: Nairaland Needs A Science Section by Nebeuwa(m): 3:34pm On Mar 29, 2012
Seun: We supply new sections based on demand. Imagine if we didn't have a politics section. People would post politics topics all over the place and we would have to create the section because the need would be very obvious. That's really how we create new sections. Science isn't very popular in Nigeria. We don't believe in it.

I suspected that, but I did not want to voice it. Since Nigerians are simply trying to make ends meet, they cannot focus on theoretical endeavors, and many scientific fields rely on theory such as physics. Well I hope the next generation of Nigerians will show an interest in Science. A nation that does not focus on science will be left in the dust by the nations that choose to focus on such endeavors.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Needs A Science Section by TonySpike: 3:53pm On Mar 29, 2012
^^^
That's true. This is the main reason Nigeria will forever remain backward if urgent steps are not taken. It's a shame that we view everything, real and physical, only in terms of religion. That is very bad for our society where crass ignorance and superstition hold sway. I hope Oga Seun opens up this Science and Engineering for people like us who want to contribute.
Re: Nairaland Needs A Science Section by Excelboi(m): 4:32pm On Mar 29, 2012
Why are you begging him OP. If he like he will do it, if he deems fit, he should not! Who cares about science anyway... Law thingz

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Needs A Science Section by Seun(m): 1:47pm On Mar 31, 2012
Science and Law. Hmm.
Re: Nairaland Needs A Science Section by aljharem(m): 1:56pm On Mar 31, 2012
Seun: Science and Law. Hmm.

excellent idea, I have been waiting for a science section. This section should also include agriculture.
Re: Nairaland Needs A Science Section by yamakuza: 4:38pm On Mar 31, 2012
alj harem:

excellent idea, I have been waiting for a science section. This section should also include agriculture.

Directory Of All/Popular Professions
https://www.nairaland.com/271624/nls-career-thread-directory#10303599

Agric Engrs Thread
https://www.nairaland.com/892596/agricultural-engineers-forum-lets-meet

NL Science/Tech Section
https://www.nairaland.com/tech
Re: Nairaland Needs A Science Section by Pozzy(m): 9:20am On Apr 02, 2012
How can i post in this forum?
Re: Nairaland Needs A Science Section by Nebeuwa(m): 1:28am On Apr 24, 2012
Seun: Science and Law. Hmm.

Seun are you still undecided about the idea? I believe that Science section would be in the best interest of all people who come to this website to learn current events happening around the world.

We are living in a new age of exploration. It would be nice to share our ideas.
Re: Nairaland Needs A Science Section by PhysicsQED(m): 7:26pm On Apr 24, 2012
Seun: We supply new sections based on demand.

And how much demand was there when the literature section was created? Or the graphics/video section?

Both of those sections are moribund and have been so for a long time, yet they exist.

This is a very weak excuse, Seun.
Re: Nairaland Needs A Science Section by yamakuza: 12:12am On Apr 25, 2012
Well, i dont know if anyone else has noticed, but a Science section has been created since .

Unfortunately, none of those clamoring for it are making use of it yet.

If you have any Science topics to post, please signify here.

You can drop links to existing Science threads too.

Thanks

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Needs A Science Section by PhysicsQED(m): 2:32am On Apr 25, 2012
^^^

I see that now. There are threads in there from a year and 2 and 3 years ago so I guess he just added the word "science" to the technology forum. grin Sneaky. grin
Re: Nairaland Needs A Science Section by yamakuza: 3:44am On Apr 25, 2012
Not really.

We need to move all the Science threads scattered all over NL there. That way, the new ones will go on top.

If you know any, please post the links here.

If you want to create Science related threads, please post them there.

Thanks

(1) (Reply)

What's The CRAZIEST Rumour You've Ever Heard About Yourself And Your Reaction? / No Chat/chatroom On Nairaland / Gunmen Kill 14 In Renewed Attack On Plateau

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.