Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,589 members, 7,809,131 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:35 AM

A Thread For Travel Enthusiasts! - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / A Thread For Travel Enthusiasts! (19455 Views)

Travel Buddy For Travel In Nigeria / How Do I Apply For Travel Certificate In United State? / New Hope For Travel To Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Thread For Travel Enthusiasts! by Ybutterfly: 3:18am On May 12, 2012
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ cool
Re: A Thread For Travel Enthusiasts! by Mosesbecky: 1:53pm On May 14, 2012
Pls am new in nairaland... Hw can I make a thread or topic 4 pple 2 give me advise on traveling 2 kharkov ukraine as a student
Re: A Thread For Travel Enthusiasts! by Nobody: 3:50pm On May 14, 2012
^^^do NL search, there are plenty of threads on the subject, where you will get many useful information about study in Ukraine.

back to the thread........ lets continue the journey:
so finally there was SOUTH AMERICA. although i have been to a few countries here, i had never lived in South America before so that was a good hint for me to move there. i chose Argentina as it was the more suitable for my liking.

Argentina is a huge country and there is much to discover but Buenos Aires should be anyone's touch down place. so moving to Bs As was my obvious choice. i quickly discovered that the people were very friendly and open minded in Argentina and that they were very passionate about life. one thing about the country is that there are ALWAYS strikes and protests, if there is just ONE on any given week, then it is a very slow week. these guys have taken the word PROTEST to a complete different level. racism is very low in Argentina although they hate British like the plague. the only time i ever encountered racism was when some drunk guy thought i was British and started insulting me. of course, Argentina is the Mecca of Tango, and you will should probably take some few classes while visiting the country. you can easily find free tango classes (especially around San Telmo) although many tourists are paying top dollars for that same privilege. visiting a milonga (tango dance club) is a must..... after you got your lessons and groove on.

speaking spanish is a MUST as most dont speak English in Argentina. there isnt lot of blacks so, again, we are kinda exotic over there. the majority of blacks there are either from Brasil, Cuba or Dominican Republic. yes there are a few Nigerians but they are not easy to find. hustling in Argentina could be a dangerous thing, as i have mentioned before, as i knew a guy who ended doing g[b]a[/b]y p[b]o[/b]rn to get out of his misery (going back home was out of the question).

there are many cities to discover in Argentina: Salta, Iguazu, Cordoba, Mendoza, bariloche, Ushaia etc but unfortunately traveli8ng in the country is not cheap. there are only 2 airlines in the country Lan and Aerolineas Argentina so dont expect any budget prices. also the fact that their rail system is shit, it means that there is only two ways to travel AIR or BUS. the good thing is that since most people travel by bus, their bus system is one of the best i have ever encountered in my life. sometimes i would even refund a plane ticket, buy a bus ticket instead and pocket the different. i mean, yes you can get the cheap BS bus but you can also get the great executive/suite class. there are 3 classes in buses there "semi cama" (cheapest one), "cama" (ok one) and then "ejecutivo/suite" (creme de la creme). now picture this, buses with the equivalent of business/1st class airplane seats, diner, free wine and champagne, comfy seat that recline to a flat bed, breakfast on arrival....ph lawd, anyone would enjoying it! of course, since the country is huge, in some destination you need to take the plane unless you want to be on a bus for 3days straight. Argentina is the new destination for the Paris Dakar Rallye so that should tell you about the vast country and its "deserts".

Skiing in Argentina is definitely something to consider if you visit in the winter, as they have some fantastic mountains range around the country to ski at. although i was surprise to see that there 2 different prices in the slopes. one for locals and one for tourist which is about twice the normal price. even buying plane tickets have two different prices locals and foreigners...... so watch out!

Ushaia is one of such place, also known as "el culo del mundo" (the end/[b]a[/b]ss of the world). this is where most people who are going to the south pole would stop before getting a boat to there. it is the most southern place in South America and the closest to the southpole. freezing as hell in the winter but a beautiful city nevertheless. if you love good wine then Mendoza would be the place to visit. there are many different estancias to choose from where you can have a great barbecue, wine tasting out of the Argentinean bush. if you are even lucky, you can horse ride deeper into no mans land, while stopping for some wine here and there. yeah wine and horseriding doesnt normally go together, but in Argentina it funnily does. also Mendoza is just on the other side of the mountain from from Santiago de Chile (boring city in my opinion), so you could always go and visit as a day trip. Argentines are very proud of their heritage and they will be quick to tell you that they are NOT latin, but from European decent. yes the majority there are white not latin although there is a huge northern side where most are mixed latin/European.

In Argentina the negros are viewed as the scum of society, but you will happy to learn that negros are darker people like Peruvian/Bolivian etc, not black African. since Peru bolivia etc are very poor countries, many from such places immigrated to Argentina which has always been a richer country with lot more jobs.

Argentina has a huge clubbing scene so if you like to party, like myself, then you will surely get your fix. the difference in South America is that people dont need to have a lot of money to party, and you will surely never be stopped at the door of a club. so most people (whether poor or rich) let their hair down and party in the weekend. there is very little salsa there and the biggest music over there is Rock, Cumbia or Electronica. if you like hip hop then you are shit out of luck as there was only ONE proper Hip Hop party in Bs As, and it was only on Thursdays aka lost party in club Araoz (pulling power: 85% if you are black).

sadly (or fortunately for some), Bs As is also known as one of the biggest gay destination in the world, so watch out for them sh[b]e[/b]males, as some of them are impossible to recognize until it is "too late". true story, i had just arrived in Bs As and went clubbing with some friends, met this stunning "girl" and started chatting her up in my broken Spanish. my friends were laughing at me but i didnt really understand why and continued to chat this babe. after about two hrs and with plans to take "her" home was set, one of my friend asked me if i REALLY wanted to take her home. i said HELL YEAH!!!! anyway, before we could leave, the gal told me that she was born a man, and my jaw fell to the floor. everyone started laughing at me as everyone knew she was a very famous transgendered, i was the only one who didnt....... i learned a very important lesson that night: not everyone is what they seem in Argentina!!!!
the thing is, in other parts of the world, there are clubs for sh[b]e[/b]males/g[b]a[/b]ys/l[b]e[/b]sbians etc and clubs for straight people, while in Argentina they all dance and party in many of the same clubs, so better watch out.

as for the football lovers, beware: Maradona is STILL considered the God of football in Argentina BY FAR. if you dare say anything wrong about the man, you may find yourself in DEEP TROUBLE. Messi is very good but he has not even reached half of Maradona's status. football is bigger than life in Argentina and most are either BOCA or RIVER. you are born into such team and would probably die as a supporter of these teams. these go from generation to generation, and when the two meet, the city goes to a stand still! many tourists are also paying top dollars to see such matches, also known as el superclassico!

also let it be known that Argentina has some of the best BEEF in the world, so wherever you will go, you will have to get some beef or indulge in an asado (local barbecue).....if you are a vegetarian, oh well, the joke is on you as you will surely miss since it is mouth watering and dead cheap!

the NUMBER ONE tourist attraction in Argentina is the Iguazu falls, situated between Argentina and Brasil. if you think that Niagara fall are anything to brag about, then you obviously havent see the Iguazu falls. if you travel from Argentina to Brasil by bus, then this is a very good place to have a stopover/break in this 38hrs bus ride.

and then of course, there is BRASIL!!!!!!!! hold on, let me wipe another tear in my eyes. the first time i went to Brasil, i could only describe it as PARADISE. I thought Australia was it but i got my wake up call in Brasil. the people, the food, the vast country, the untouched fauna, the parties, the beaches, the islands, the CHICAS, RIO DE JANEIRO.......oh lawd!!!!!!!
be right back........ for a more detail description of Brasil!

2 Likes

Re: A Thread For Travel Enthusiasts! by Nobody: 5:22pm On May 14, 2012
MRbrownJAY: ^^^do NL search, there are plenty of threads on the subject, where you will get many useful information about study in Ukraine.

back to the thread........ lets continue the journey:
so finally there was SOUTH AMERICA. although i have been to a few countries here, i had never lived in South America before so that was a good hint for me to move there. i chose Argentina as it was the more suitable for my liking.

Argentina is a huge country and there is much to discover but Buenos Aires should be anyone's touch down place. so moving to Bs As was my obvious choice. i quickly discovered that the people were very friendly and open minded in Argentina and that they were very passionate about life. one thing about the country is that there are ALWAYS strikes and protests, if there is just ONE on any given week, then it is a very slow week. these guys have taken the word PROTEST to a complete different level. racism is very low in Argentina although they hate British like the plague. the only time i ever encountered racism was when some drunk guy thought i was British and started insulting me. of course, Argentina is the Mecca of Tango, and you will should probably take some few classes while visiting the country. you can easily find free tango classes (especially around San Telmo) although many tourists are paying top dollars for that same privilege. visiting a milonga (tango dance club) is a must..... after you got your lessons and groove on.

speaking spanish is a MUST as most dont speak English in Argentina. there isnt lot of blacks so, again, we are kinda exotic over there. the majority of blacks there are either from Brasil, Cuba or Dominican Republic. yes there are a few Nigerians but they are not easy to find. hustling in Argentina could be a dangerous thing, as i have mentioned before, as i knew a guy who ended doing g[b]a[/b]y p[b]o[/b]rn to get out of his misery (going back home was out of the question).

there are many cities to discover in Argentina: Salta, Iguazu, Cordoba, Mendoza, bariloche, Ushaia etc but unfortunately traveli8ng in the country is not cheap. there are only 2 airlines in the country Lan and Aerolineas Argentina so dont expect any budget prices. also the fact that their rail system is shit, it means that there is only two ways to travel AIR or BUS. the good thing is that since most people travel by bus, their bus system is one of the best i have ever encountered in my life. sometimes i would even refund a plane ticket, buy a bus ticket instead and pocket the different. i mean, yes you can get the cheap BS bus but you can also get the great executive/suite class. there are 3 classes in buses there "semi cama" (cheapest one), "cama" (ok one) and then "ejecutivo/suite" (creme de la creme). now picture this, buses with the equivalent of business/1st class airplane seats, diner, free wine and champagne, comfy seat that recline to a flat bed, breakfast on arrival....ph lawd, anyone would enjoying it! of course, since the country is huge, in some destination you need to take the plane unless you want to be on a bus for 3days straight. Argentina is the new destination for the Paris Dakar Rallye so that should tell you about the vast country and its "deserts".

Skiing in Argentina is definitely something to consider if you visit in the winter, as they have some fantastic mountains range around the country to ski at. although i was surprise to see that there 2 different prices in the slopes. one for locals and one for tourist which is about twice the normal price. even buying plane tickets have two different prices locals and foreigners...... so watch out!

Ushaia is one of such place, also known as "el culo del mundo" (the end/[b]a[/b]ss of the world). this is where most people who are going to the south pole would stop before getting a boat to there. it is the most southern place in South America and the closest to the southpole. freezing as hell in the winter but a beautiful city nevertheless. if you love good wine then Mendoza would be the place to visit. there are many different estancias to choose from where you can have a great barbecue, wine tasting out of the Argentinean bush. if you are even lucky, you can horse ride deeper into no mans land, while stopping for some wine here and there. yeah wine and horseriding doesnt normally go together, but in Argentina it funnily does. also Mendoza is just on the other side of the mountain from from Santiago de Chile (boring city in my opinion), so you could always go and visit as a day trip. Argentines are very proud of their heritage and they will be quick to tell you that they are NOT latin, but from European decent. yes the majority there are white not latin although there is a huge northern side where most are mixed latin/European.

In Argentina the negros are viewed as the scum of society, but you will happy to learn that negros are darker people like Peruvian/Bolivian etc, not black African. since Peru bolivia etc are very poor countries, many from such places immigrated to Argentina which has always been a richer country with lot more jobs.

Argentina has a huge clubbing scene so if you like to party, like myself, then you will surely get your fix. the difference in South America is that people dont need to have a lot of money to party, and you will surely never be stopped at the door of a club. so most people (whether poor or rich) let their hair down and party in the weekend. there is very little salsa there and the biggest music over there is Rock, Cumbia or Electronica. if you like hip hop then you are shit out of luck as there was only ONE proper Hip Hop party in Bs As, and it was only on Thursdays aka lost party in club Araoz (pulling power: 85% if you are black).

sadly (or fortunately for some), Bs As is also known as one of the biggest gay destination in the world, so watch out for them sh[b]e[/b]males, as some of them are impossible to recognize until it is "too late". true story, i had just arrived in Bs As and went clubbing with some friends, met this stunning "girl" and started chatting her up in my broken Spanish. my friends were laughing at me but i didnt really understand why and continued to chat this babe. after about two hrs and with plans to take "her" home was set, one of my friend asked me if i REALLY wanted to take her home. i said HELL YEAH!!!! anyway, before we could leave, the gal told me that she was born a man, and my jaw fell to the floor. everyone started laughing at me as everyone knew she was a very famous transgendered, i was the only one who didnt....... i learned a very important lesson that night: not everyone is what they seem in Argentina!!!!
the thing is, in other parts of the world, there are clubs for sh[b]e[/b]males/g[b]a[/b]ys/l[b]e[/b]sbians etc and clubs for straight people, while in Argentina they all dance and party in many of the same clubs, so better watch out.

as for the football lovers, beware: Maradona is STILL considered the God of football in Argentina BY FAR. if you dare say anything wrong about the man, you may find yourself in DEEP TROUBLE. Messi is very good but he has not even reached half of Maradona's status. football is bigger than life in Argentina and most are either BOCA or RIVER. you are born into such team and would probably die as a supporter of these teams. these go from generation to generation, and when the two meet, the city goes to a stand still! many tourists are also paying top dollars to see such matches, also known as el superclassico!

also let it be known that Argentina has some of the best BEEF in the world, so wherever you will go, you will have to get some beef or indulge in an asado (local barbecue).....if you are a vegetarian, oh well, the joke is on you as you will surely miss since it is mouth watering and dead cheap!

the NUMBER ONE tourist attraction in Argentina is the Iguazu falls, situated between Argentina and Brasil. if you think that Niagara fall are anything to brag about, then you obviously havent see the Iguazu falls. if you travel from Argentina to Brasil by bus, then this is a very good place to have a stopover/break in this 38hrs bus ride.

and then of course, there is BRASIL!!!!!!!! hold on, let me wipe another tear in my eyes. the first time i went to Brasil, i could only describe it as PARADISE. I thought Australia was it but i got my wake up call in Brasil. the people, the food, the vast country, the untouched fauna, the parties, the beaches, the islands, the CHICAS, RIO DE JANEIRO.......oh lawd!!!!!!!
be right back........ for a more detail description of Brasil!
We are waiting for brazil story oooo.... nice experience u had in Argentina
Re: A Thread For Travel Enthusiasts! by Nobody: 6:35pm On May 14, 2012
ogbeche77:
We are waiting for brazil story oooo.... nice experience u had in Argentina
_
You mean you quoted all that liturgy just to write 13 words? Smh!

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Travel Enthusiasts! by Nobody: 10:47pm On May 14, 2012
SimonAndal:
_
You mean you quoted all that liturgy just to write 13 lines? Smh!
Keep Smhing...One day your H will fall off your neck
Re: A Thread For Travel Enthusiasts! by Nobody: 11:39am On May 15, 2012
oh, and i forgot to mention that blacks in Buenos Aires can easily find jobs in TV/Movie and commercials since we aint so many out there. one of the biggest agency for foreigners (ACTITUDE) was owned by a Nigerian, Patrick Aduma, he was one of the many great people i met, partied with and also worked for in Argentina. sadly Patrick passed away about 2 yrs ago, and will surely be missed by many.
Re: A Thread For Travel Enthusiasts! by Pelumiv(m): 2:19pm On May 15, 2012
MRbrownJAY: oh, and i forgot to mention that blacks in Buenos Aires can easily find jobs in TV/Movie and commercials since we aint so many out there. one of the biggest agency for foreigners (ACTITUDE) was owned by a Nigerian, Patrick Aduma, he was one of the many great people i met, partied with and also worked for in Argentina. sadly Patrick passed away about 2 yrs ago, and will surely be missed by many.
You drag me back to this thread with ya write ups. Bring on Brazil mate..............[color=#000099][/color]
Re: A Thread For Travel Enthusiasts! by Nobody: 3:29pm On May 15, 2012
Mrbrownjay, do you have a JOB? shocked shocked grin
I mean, you've lived everywhere such that its hard to imagine you maintaining a working career.
Re: A Thread For Travel Enthusiasts! by Nobody: 3:44pm On May 15, 2012
davidylan: Mrbrownjay, do you have a JOB? shocked shocked grin
I mean, you've lived everywhere such that its hard to imagine you maintaining a working career.
I thought as so too.. But my guess is either Mr Brown works for an international airline or he inherited a fortune from his dad.... It do unfair to be touring the whole wide world while some have not even visited there local airport..lol
Re: A Thread For Travel Enthusiasts! by Nobody: 3:48pm On May 15, 2012
ogbeche77:
I thought as so too.. But my guess is either Mr Brown works for an international airline or he inherited a fortune from his dad.... It do unfair to be touring the whole wide world while some have not even visited there local airport..lol

I hadnt thought of that.
Re: A Thread For Travel Enthusiasts! by Nobody: 4:46pm On May 15, 2012
....or simply MBJ has a job that allows him to do his trade wherever he sees fit, whenever he sees fit. my only luck is that i work 6hrs per week, at most, and have always had plenty of time to indulge in my passion of traveling.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Thread For Travel Enthusiasts! by 19naia(m): 2:45am On May 17, 2012
I was born in USA and the first flight i remember was to nigeria...Then i remeber my next flight was 8 years later from lagos back to newyork..i was so desperate to leave nigeria and have not been back in 22 years since.....But i travelled by road and airlines to almost 30 states in USA..i lived washington DC,kentucky,arizona and my latest home is now in Hawaii in the center of the pacific ocean -small islands as part of USA...i spent last 2 years in philippines asia and travelled before to mexico,belize,guatemaa(central america travel when i lived on the USA border area of arizona state)...i have my ticket now set to leave in 2 weeks to my home in hawaii for a few weeks stop over and then off to Panama city by late june...i will go by bus through costa rica and into nicaragua and i will be in the area between nicaragua and panama for 6 months before i go back USA christmas time...so next year is another travel i must do..i either go to a new country or return to one of the countries i been to before...Nigeria is on my mind and my most nervous plan even though i have more experience in Nigeria than any other country except USA -i have more years in USA..My ex-perience in nigeria was tough with malaria and poverty even with my father working but not getting paid his salary and going to a corrupt shcool and just so much problem,it was only my american passport and american family that intervene with money for ticket to go USA.....if i go again ,i am my own man now and have secure income from USA and much better than my father tried to raise 4 children on..So maybe i can afford to get mosquito nets and eat food that is balanced diet e.t.c......of all the places i go,nigerian food is such a thing i miss....all the places i travel are no longer like mesmerizing overall,its just usual habit of adventure where so many places are just the same,and so mostly i am into the people experience i have in new places......i hope in the next 2 years to make it to nigeria and that would be the most exiting of all my world travel by far (I travelled before to lots of countries like-------------- london,spain ,france,canada,thailand,philippines,almost all countries in central america)..nigeria was so long ago a part of shaping me as i grew up; and every where i go,i do not find that part of me in other countries,,but in nigeria i find where the culture that influenced my personality at young age- is still alive and well....hmmm just hope its safe trip because as i experience in world travel,nigeria is unique unmatched in the world in many ways good and bad and so to be safe there.....

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Thread For Travel Enthusiasts! by omega25red(m): 2:34pm On May 20, 2012
Hey may I ask what industry you work in that allows you to travel so much?
19naia: I was born in USA and the first flight i remember was to nigeria...Then i remeber my next flight was 8 years later from lagos back to newyork..i was so desperate to leave nigeria and have not been back in 22 years since.....But i travelled by road and airlines to almost 30 states in USA..i lived washington DC,kentucky,arizona and my latest home is now in Hawaii in the center of the pacific ocean -small islands as part of USA...i spent last 2 years in philippines asia and travelled before to mexico,belize,guatemaa(central america travel when i lived on the USA border area of arizona state)...i have my ticket now set to leave in 2 weeks to my home in hawaii for a few weeks stop over and then off to Panama city by late june...i will go by bus through costa rica and into nicaragua and i will be in the area between nicaragua and panama for 6 months before i go back USA christmas time...so next year is another travel i must do..i either go to a new country or return to one of the countries i been to before...Nigeria is on my mind and my most nervous plan even though i have more experience in Nigeria than any other country except USA -i have more years in USA..My ex-perience in nigeria was tough with malaria and poverty even with my father working but not getting paid his salary and going to a corrupt shcool and just so much problem,it was only my american passport and american family that intervene with money for ticket to go USA.....if i go again ,i am my own man now and have secure income from USA and much better than my father tried to raise 4 children on..So maybe i can afford to get mosquito nets and eat food that is balanced diet e.t.c......of all the places i go,nigerian food is such a thing i miss....all the places i travel are no longer like mesmerizing overall,its just usual habit of adventure where so many places are just the same,and so mostly i am into the people experience i have in new places......i hope in the next 2 years to make it to nigeria and that would be the most exiting of all my world travel by far (I travelled before to lots of countries like-------------- london,spain ,france,canada,thailand,philippines,almost all countries in central america)..nigeria was so long ago a part of shaping me as i grew up; and every where i go,i do not find that part of me in other countries,,but in nigeria i find where the culture that influenced my personality at young age- is still alive and well....hmmm just hope its safe trip because as i experience in world travel,nigeria is unique unmatched in the world in many ways good and bad and so to be safe there.....
Re: A Thread For Travel Enthusiasts! by omega25red(m): 2:44pm On May 20, 2012
Just got back from a week of relaxation and partying in the Dominican republic. I had been there 4years ago but this time was even better. You guys should see all the heavy back sides of the Dominican women talk less of all the Russian women who enjoy sun bathing topless on the beach. If you ever get a chance to vacation in the DR try the Barcelona bavaro hotel. They had a club on the grounds o the hotel and an actual mall. That place was crazy big

Imagine eating and drinking and partying almost 24 - 7 for a week:-) let's just say I'm depressed to be back at work grin
Re: A Thread For Travel Enthusiasts! by tiebe: 8:19am On May 24, 2012
I absolutely LOVE traveling! its the one thing i could splurge on! and I really dont mind where I'm going or how I'm going. . by road, by train, by air, boat sef to a place within Nigeria, or outside!
I love traveling by air (though the part I love most is take off!) then by road or train, I cant even read a book cos i'm sooooo caught up looking at the scenery. I think I have 'travel disease'.
within Nigeria i've been to Oyo, Ondo, Osun, Delta, Abuja, Enugu, Anambra, Rivers, Cross Rivers and of course, LAGOS. my fav city in Nig - Abuja! PHC used to be a nice place b4 all the fighting of 2007 and since then, its dropped down my list.
outside Nigeria (er. . its not like i'm the most widely traveled o!)

visited Cote d'Ivoire. . . It was a loooovely place (but i hear the war spoilt it all), lovely food as well

Been to UK several times and i'd say London no b am. . . noisy and dirty. . scotland has the warmest people but the climate's also the coldest. . . Wales just makes me wanna say green trees. . . and in England, the sweetest place 4 me is Exeter and the drive from exeter to London is the most heavenly I've been on (FOR ME O!) especially in the autum. . . soooooooo scenic!

visited Dubai! went with a group of friends. before we left, a friend of mine said Dubai's so hot you'd always think there was the exhaust from a plane blowing in ur face. . . thot she was joking. omo, the heat no be beans! I was constantly looking for the space ship exhaust that was blowing in my face! but the place is lovely. looks like a place for bored architects though.

and went to Holland some time ago. when I landed in schipol airport, i had to confirm by actually looking at the lights that said 'schipol' to be sure i was in the right place. it was not what i expected at all! expected so much more! which reminds me, airport for dubai na die! lovely lovely lovely! the hague was nay bad. clean wide streets with people driving in the correct side of the road. . .

er. . . e b like say e don finish. . . thanks for yer time! grin

[b]Fav airline? Emirates ohhhhhhh! [/b]KLM na just tall hostesses i de look. . . BA, the air hostesses are given particularly sour grapes to eat so it shows. . . Virgin atlantic? nothing memorable. . . air afrique? dnt even knw if they still exist.
Worst flight? ABZ - EXETER! MY Word!!!!! i thot the world had ended! we did enuf 'dead drops' to shame stunts men and by the time we landed, i was dizzy for days. . . and i'm not talking yam dizziness o. . better one. could not stand, sit, lie down. . couldnt do anything really. even the thot of that flight now. . .

2 Likes

Re: A Thread For Travel Enthusiasts! by Tgirl4real(f): 10:02am On May 28, 2012
@ ti-ebe

cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: A Thread For Travel Enthusiasts! by superior1: 12:02pm On Jun 23, 2012
When is Brown coming back to give us the Brazil piece now?
Re: A Thread For Travel Enthusiasts! by Nobody: 7:32am On Jun 24, 2012
superior1: When is Brown coming back to give us the Brazil piece now?
Even me myself have been monitoring this thread ever since, I ll surely look for him on NL & tell him we already purchase a pop corn & a bottle of coke
Re: A Thread For Travel Enthusiasts! by Nobody: 1:25pm On Jun 24, 2012
^^ sorry bro, i had forgotten about this great thread, thanks for reminding me:

.......and then there was Brasil (yeah thats how you spell it over there)...oh lawd, where should i begin? Brasil is like Africa in South America, me gusta!!!
first i have to say that Brazilians are some of the warmest people i have yet encountered. very friendly and most importantly very open minded, sadly, most dont speak English so you better speak "some" Portuguese/Spanish, if not then your access to great friends would be limited.....and since they have a different way of life, you need someone to lead you into their lifestyle and show you the rope quickly.

Brasil has a deep rooted connection with Africa, you can clearly understand that when you go to the north of the country. yes, the more north you go the more black people there are and the more south you go and the less black you will see. to understand better, Rio and Sao Paulo is considered the separation between north and south. on a map, Brasil looks small but the country is HUGE!! from Rio, it takes about 2-3hrs by plane to get to the extreme south and just a little bit more to go to top north. the beauty of it all is that there are plenty of low cost airline company flying within the country so discovering the country is quite easy (compare to Argentina). you can also travel by bus in Brasil but with the size of the country, you should expect no less than 24hrs if traveling from Rio to the north. yes i unfortunately had to do it once and it wasnt pleasant at all (not so great compared with Argentine buses).

now lets get something straight: Brasil is a very expensive country! yep, it is the most expensive country in South America, so if you are in Sao Paulo or Rio, then you best be careful of where you are going to live as these cities have some outrageous rental prices, and since tourism is booming and they are hosting the 2014 WC and 2016 Olympic games soon, prices of EVERYTHING is going to rise in these cities. yes you may want to move in another city but then your choice for action will be limited. if it is business then Sao Paulo is the main city and if it is for lifestyle the Rio it is. sadly rental prices in these cities are a bit on the high end unless you live in bad neighborhood or far from the main areas of attraction.

Rio is where i lived, and i have lived in many different areas of the city both the good the bad and the SUPER BAD, but i will have to say that living in a favela was my best experience EVER in the country (remember that wherever you are in Rio, there is a favela very close by). some favelas are really bad and dangerous to venture into and others are a the BOMB. the best parties in Rio were in favelas street with thousand of people dancing their socks off, even though most dont have a kobo to their names. thats the spirit i found in Brasil that was so addictive: these people would enjoy life fully, regardless of their financial status. on the weekend they go to the beach and at night they PARTY!!!!!!!!

the tough favelas are controlled by drug barons and they are the ones who fund these parties, even paying for top artist to come and perform there. no cover charge and the drink are dead cheap. its a way to make the people happy and it does work.i lived in a place called RIO DAS PEDRAS which is one of the few favelas that are drug and crime free (it is controlled by militia).....and every sunday there was a street party. free for all and bootay shaking everywhere to some of the dirtiest nastiest samba funk music you will ever hear in your life, PERFECT!!! sadly, one of the problem in Brasil and especially favela is their promiscuity. supposedly, 60% of women between the ages of 16 and 25 (living in favelas) are hiv+. i didnt really want to believe it but this guy was a doctor working with them so he had a pretty good idea of the problem........lets not even talk of 12yr old gals having babies.

when i just arrived in Rio, i stayed with a friend in Zona Norte of Rio, and one night i was woken by a gun battle, and believe me, i thought i was in a war zone. supposedly it was the police having a problem with some drug infested favela in the area and they were each going at it. gun were blasting and it was NOT some small weapons o, these were heavy machinery. the sound of this gun battle, that lasted about 1hr, sent a cold chill to my spine. i went to the window and the gal told me to get away from it. i asked why and she told me that since these weapons are heavy guns, the bullets travel very far and even though it was about 1-2km away, the possibility of getting hit by a stray bullet was very high. i then wondered about the people who were living right in the middle of these favela and she told me these simple words:" when gun battle like this starts, you cant go back home or leave your house because you will just get kill for no damn reason" i asked what about if it last for days, like it sometimes does, and she replied that you therefore have to stay away from home for DAYS.

i am sure you would therefore ask why people would want to live in favela then, right? well it is very simple: its cheaper, WAY cheaper!!!! first you dont pay for electricity or water (aka gato luz), the rent is way cheaper and you dont have to pay any extra for the building security (like in Copacabana) AND the internet is almost free (gato net). in Copacabana i was paying about 150reais for internet, in the favela i only paid 40.....you do the math.

also there is the beach culture.......in order to discover what Brazilians are all about, you have to go to the nearest beach. if it is a sunny day (like it mostly is in Brasil) then chances are the beach will be crowded. get yourself a long chair and parasol (about 5-10reais to rent for the day, depending on where you are) then sit and enjoy the sight. pls, if you are not fully in control of your pants activity, i suggest you wear a swimming trunk of steel, as you may get a hardon simply by looking at the beautiful sexy women in attendance. yes the women like to wear as little as possible to get as much brown as possible. the bikinis are tiny, but comparing with other countries, you will find no topless women there (unless it is a private beach). thats because it is illegal in Brasil to go topless in any public place....beach included. but dont worry, the kind of bikini you may see on the beach may be considered nu.dity in other countries. lol. drinks are essential at the beach and there will always be someone selling either fresh coconut milk, beer or caipirinha. get yourself a football or volleyball and have some fun with your newly found friends, et voila. dont worry it is very easy to talk to people at the beach and being a foreigner open many doors.

sadly you also have to be careful about some of the women on the beach, as many could be ashewos on the prowl. yes ashewoism is rampant and many tourists solely go to the country to experiment it. i wish i could dwell more on the issue but that would be for another thread.

now, as a black man loving my black sistas but traveling to places where they may not be a lot of sistas, i was in heaven when i moved to Brasil, especially when you realize that most women there DONT WEAR WEAVE!!!!! yep, you hear about Brazilian hair this and that all over 9ja but most of the sistas in Brasil dont wear them, although the majority perm their hair.... and i dont know if it is the mix with Spanish/Portuguese blood, but most have long silky permed hair compare to some of our African sistas whose permed hair sometimes look like a battle ground (no offense to my 9ja sistas o)

also something that i found fascinating about Brasil is that they have an obsession with beautiful bodies, so EVERYBODY goes to the gym, whether old or young. and the funniest part is that women wear these outrageous outfits to go there (very hard to focus on the training)........ at the beach, you can clearly understand where all the work has gone to, as it definitely shows. perfect bundas etc (although Brasil is also famous for being the plastic surgery #1 country in the world). so although i was not into the gym culture like that, i too started to go to the gym like my life depended on it (and also to make sure i could "compete" with the locals on the beach lol).

now one of the downside of the country happens to be the price of everything that is imported. everything get a 100% tax, so if you think of getting any genuine electronic, i suggest you buy it all before getting to the country, an Ipad is double the price as in the US, an Iphone same, etc....even cars get the same policy, any imported car gets a 100% tax added to it so if you ever wish to cruise in a Range Rover then pls make sure you have very deep pockets.

here are some few things i have also discovered:
- if you are sitting in a crowded bus and a person is standing next to you with a bag, it is customary to ask/take their bag and put it on your lap.

.......brain freeze, will be back for more.

4 Likes

Re: A Thread For Travel Enthusiasts! by 19naia(m): 6:19pm On Jun 24, 2012
omega25red: Hey may I ask what industry you work in that allows you to travel so much?
I WORK IN A FIELD CALLED: BEING RETIRED WITH FREE TIME AND MONEY,ITS FROM MY DAYS SERVING IN U.S.A MILITARY....ITS NOT A LOT OF MONEY IN U.S.A. BUT WHEN I GO TO COUNTIRES WHERE THE DOLLAR IS IN FAVOUR AND THE COST ARE CHEAP, I AM ABLE TO SAVE MONEY AND THEN BUY TICKET TO TRAVEL AGAIN TO ANOTHER COUNTRY AFTER 6 MONTHS OF SAVING MONEY IN PREVIOUS COUNTRY...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Thread For Travel Enthusiasts! by superior1: 7:26pm On Jun 24, 2012
MRbrownJAY: ^^ sorry bro, i had forgotten about this great thread, thanks for reminding me:

.......and then there was Brasil (yeah thats how you spell it over there)...oh lawd, where should i begin? Brasil is like Africa in South America, me gusta!!!
first i have to say that Brazilians are some of the warmest people i have yet encountered. very friendly and most importantly very open minded, sadly, most dont speak English so you better speak "some" Portuguese/Spanish, if not then your access to great friends would be limited.....and since they have a different way of life, you need someone to lead you into their lifestyle and show you the rope quickly.

Brasil has a deep rooted connection with Africa, you can clearly understand that when you go to the north of the country. yes, the more north you go the more black people there are and the more south you go and the less black you will see. to understand better, Rio and Sao Paulo is considered the separation between north and south. on a map, Brasil looks small but the country is HUGE!! from Rio, it takes about 2-3hrs by plane to get to the extreme south and just a little bit more to go to top north. the beauty of it all is that there are plenty of low cost airline company flying within the country so discovering the country is quite easy (compare to Argentina). you can also travel by bus in Brasil but with the size of the country, you should expect no less than 24hrs if traveling from Rio to the north. yes i unfortunately had to do it once and it wasnt pleasant at all (not so great compared with Argentine buses).

now lets get something straight: Brasil is a very expensive country! yep, it is the most expensive country in South America, so if you are in Sao Paulo or Rio, then you best be careful of where you are going to live as these cities have some outrageous rental prices, and since tourism is booming and they are hosting the 2014 WC and 2016 Olympic games soon, prices of EVERYTHING is going to rise in these cities. yes you may want to move in another city but then your choice for action will be limited. if it is business then Sao Paulo is the main city and if it is for lifestyle the Rio it is. sadly rental prices in these cities are a bit on the high end unless you live in bad neighborhood or far from the main areas of attraction.

Rio is where i lived, and i have lived in many different areas of the city both the good the bad and the SUPER BAD, but i will have to say that living in a favela was my best experience EVER in the country (remember that wherever you are in Rio, there is a favela very close by). some favelas are really bad and dangerous to venture into and others are a the BOMB. the best parties in Rio were in favelas street with thousand of people dancing their socks off, even though most dont have a kobo to their names. thats the spirit i found in Brasil that was so addictive: these people would enjoy life fully, regardless of their financial status. on the weekend they go to the beach and at night they PARTY!!!!!!!!

the tough favelas are controlled by drug barons and they are the ones who fund these parties, even paying for top artist to come and perform there. no cover charge and the drink are dead cheap. its a way to make the people happy and it does work.i lived in a place called RIO DAS PEDRAS which is one of the few favelas that are drug and crime free (it is controlled by militia).....and every sunday there was a street party. free for all and bootay shaking everywhere to some of the dirtiest nastiest samba funk music you will ever hear in your life, PERFECT!!! sadly, one of the problem in Brasil and especially favela is their promiscuity. supposedly, 60% of women between the ages of 16 and 25 (living in favelas) are hiv+. i didnt really want to believe it but this guy was a doctor working with them so he had a pretty good idea of the problem........lets not even talk of 12yr old gals having babies.

when i just arrived in Rio, i stayed with a friend in Zona Norte of Rio, and one night i was woken by a gun battle, and believe me, i thought i was in a war zone. supposedly it was the police having a problem with some drug infested favela in the area and they were each going at it. gun were blasting and it was NOT some small weapons o, these were heavy machinery. the sound of this gun battle, that lasted about 1hr, sent a cold chill to my spine. i went to the window and the gal told me to get away from it. i asked why and she told me that since these weapons are heavy guns, the bullets travel very far and even though it was about 1-2km away, the possibility of getting hit by a stray bullet was very high. i then wondered about the people who were living right in the middle of these favela and she told me these simple words:" when gun battle like this starts, you cant go back home or leave your house because you will just get kill for no damn reason" i asked what about if it last for days, like it sometimes does, and she replied that you therefore have to stay away from home for DAYS.

i am sure you would therefore ask why people would want to live in favela then, right? well it is very simple: its cheaper, WAY cheaper!!!! first you dont pay for electricity or water (aka gato luz), the rent is way cheaper and you dont have to pay any extra for the building security (like in Copacabana) AND the internet is almost free (gato net). in Copacabana i was paying about 150reais for internet, in the favela i only paid 40.....you do the math.

also there is the beach culture.......in order to discover what Brazilians are all about, you have to go to the nearest beach. if it is a sunny day (like it mostly is in Brasil) then chances are the beach will be crowded. get yourself a long chair and parasol (about 5-10reais to rent for the day, depending on where you are) then sit and enjoy the sight. pls, if you are not fully in control of your pants activity, i suggest you wear a swimming trunk of steel, as you may get a hardon simply by looking at the beautiful sexy women in attendance. yes the women like to wear as little as possible to get as much brown as possible. the bikinis are tiny, but comparing with other countries, you will find no topless women there (unless it is a private beach). thats because it is illegal in Brasil to go topless in any public place....beach included. but dont worry, the kind of bikini you may see on the beach may be considered nu.dity in other countries. lol. drinks are essential at the beach and there will always be someone selling either fresh coconut milk, beer or caipirinha. get yourself a football or volleyball and have some fun with your newly found friends, et voila. dont worry it is very easy to talk to people at the beach and being a foreigner open many doors.

sadly you also have to be careful about some of the women on the beach, as many could be ashewos on the prowl. yes ashewoism is rampant and many tourists solely go to the country to experiment it. i wish i could dwell more on the issue but that would be for another thread.

now, as a black man loving my black sistas but traveling to places where they may not be a lot of sistas, i was in heaven when i moved to Brasil, especially when you realize that most women there DONT WEAR WEAVE!!!!! yep, you hear about Brazilian hair this and that all over 9ja but most of the sistas in Brasil dont wear them, although the majority perm their hair.... and i dont know if it is the mix with Spanish/Portuguese blood, but most have long silky permed hair compare to some of our African sistas whose permed hair sometimes look like a battle ground (no offense to my 9ja sistas o)

also something that i found fascinating about Brasil is that they have an obsession with beautiful bodies, so EVERYBODY goes to the gym, whether old or young. and the funniest part is that women wear these outrageous outfits to go there (very hard to focus on the training)........ at the beach, you can clearly understand where all the work has gone to, as it definitely shows. perfect bundas etc (although Brasil is also famous for being the plastic surgery #1 country in the world). so although i was not into the gym culture like that, i too started to go to the gym like my life depended on it (and also to make sure i could "compete" with the locals on the beach lol).

now one of the downside of the country happens to be the price of everything that is imported. everything get a 100% tax, so if you think of getting any genuine electronic, i suggest you buy it all before getting to the country, an Ipad is double the price as in the US, an Iphone same, etc....even cars get the same policy, any imported car gets a 100% tax added to it so if you ever wish to cruise in a Range Rover then pls make sure you have very deep pockets.

here are some few things i have also discovered:
- if you are sitting in a crowded bus and a person is standing next to you with a bag, it is customary to ask/take their bag and put it on your lap.

.......brain freeze, will be back for more.

Brown it appears you enjoyed Japan more than Brasil

ogbeche77:
Even me myself have been monitoring this thread ever since, I ll surely look for him on NL & tell him we already purchase a pop corn & a bottle of coke

Abeg, pass me small pop corn while we watch out for Brown in Brasil Part 2
Re: A Thread For Travel Enthusiasts! by Nobody: 11:40pm On Jun 24, 2012
superior1:

Abeg, pass me small pop corn while we watch out for Brown in Brasil Part 2
Oya stretch hand..Lollz
Re: A Thread For Travel Enthusiasts! by Nobody: 3:50am On Jun 25, 2012
superior1:

nah, Brasil is truly the country where i have lived that brought the most joy and where i really felt that i could settle and never search for paradise any longer (if that is possible). i wrote this write up in a hurry as i was watching the F1 and then on my way out to celebrate the win......so tomorrow i will give you a more detail part2. also, if you read carefully, you will understand that i am not in Brasil any longer, as i am back in Europe for the summer (hopefully sunny), until i return to Brasil in October/November for the beginning of South American spring.

but remember, Japan is placed amongst my top 3 country in the world.
Re: A Thread For Travel Enthusiasts! by Nobody: 7:49am On Jun 25, 2012
MRbrownJAY:

nah, Brasil is truly the country where i have lived that brought the most joy and where i really felt that i could settle and never search for paradise any longer (if that is possible). i wrote this write up in a hurry as i was watching the F1 and then on my way out to celebrate the win......so tomorrow i will give you a more detail part2. also, if you read carefully, you will understand that i am not in Brasil any longer, as i am back in Europe for the summer (hopefully sunny), until i return to Brasil in October/November for the beginning of South American spring.

Pls don't make us organizing a search party for you again oooo, Brasil part 2 should be loading by now, and which should we expect next?
Re: A Thread For Travel Enthusiasts! by superior1: 8:41am On Jun 25, 2012
[b][/b]
MRbrownJAY:

Ok, guess i enjoyed the Japan gist more but with 60% women likely to be HIV+,so how were u able to play Tom Cruise abi u dey carry HIV test kit where ever you go?. Then living in a place where serious gun battle can start without warning, I dont know if you dey enjoy the adrenaline rush but O'boy you go try small to convince to play around that kin place o.

In all, your write up is imagination activating. I am awaiting brown in brasil 2 (wont be surprised if i see that as a film title in nollywood tommorow)

@Ogbeche 77, More pop-corn pleasee!!!!!!!!
Re: A Thread For Travel Enthusiasts! by Nobody: 10:17am On Jun 25, 2012
superior1: [b][/b]
Ok, guess i enjoyed the Japan gist more but with 60% women likely to be HIV+,so how were u able to play Tom Cruise abi u dey carry HIV test kit where ever you go?. Then living in a place where serious gun battle can start without warning, I dont know if you dey enjoy the adrenaline rush but O'boy you go try small to convince to play around that kin place o.

In all, your write up is imagination activating. I am awaiting brown in brasil 2 (wont be surprised if i see that as a film title in nollywood tommorow)

@Ogbeche 77, More pop-corn pleasee!!!!!!!!
@ Superior1, Bonanza is over, popcorn now cost £1.50, at least the adventurous write up f from Mrbrown is free, u still want free Pop on top...No way, pay up..lollz

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

People Have Abandoned Travelling, Now Send Goods To Families - Kaduna NURTW / 6 Nigerian-Owned Guest Houses Burnt In South Africa - Nigerian Union / Bus Tumbles On Gbagada Oshodi Express In Lagos (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 182
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.