Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,972 members, 7,806,824 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:34 AM

Who Pays For The Mortgage? Me Alone, Or Should Wife Help? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Who Pays For The Mortgage? Me Alone, Or Should Wife Help? (8082 Views)

I will deny my husband sex until he pays his debt — wife / Who Pays Bride Prize In Ghana / Who Pays The Bills (husband Or Wife) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Pays For The Mortgage? Me Alone, Or Should Wife Help? by MrMaintain: 3:12am On Mar 30, 2012
Pls help on this situation,

I am currently living in the UK, and have been planning to get married to my partner who is back in Nigeria. We have been discussing a number of matters and today something which hadn't been discussed before came up.
She said that she "wants to be financially secure" and "would rather stay single than marry a man who can't take care of her" I asked her to she said that she is willing to work, but that any money she earns in her job is just for her, but the husband should provide all other things such as shelter, food, etc, but shouldn't take her from her own savings.

I explained to her that here in Europe, it doesn't work that way, I explained to her the concept of a mortgage, and that if a typical family has a family 3 bed house out here, both partners contribute to the mortgage. That things are different than in Nigeria, young couples go the bank together and get a joint mortgage. I explained that here, a couple go out for dinner and they often times split the bill, they have joint bank accounts, and that they budget and invest, save together.
She was astonished and still maintained that she doesn't believe that. "the husband must provide shelter, why should she contribute to the mortgage?"

Now I fully nderstand how things work back home, the guy would own a house(outright, no mortgages etc) and would woo the woman. And I explained that if I move back home after the wedding, I can do that. However, here with mutual funds, gas, taxes on everything, investing , etc etc it is slightly different. I was explaining to her how we buy houses here via 25 year mortgages etc.....we are oth late twenties.

Much of this is cultural. She has never travelled outside of Nigeria.....meanwhile, although I am Nigerian, I have actually spent not too much time there.

Can you folks offer any advise as to if either of us here is being unreasonable, and those abroad, how can I explain to her better how things work here in Europe?
Thanks

1 Like

Re: Who Pays For The Mortgage? Me Alone, Or Should Wife Help? by MOM1(m): 3:27am On Mar 30, 2012
Hmmmmm..

1 Like

Re: Who Pays For The Mortgage? Me Alone, Or Should Wife Help? by UKBobo(m): 3:28am On Mar 30, 2012
She is a product of her environment and expects such. My girlfriend Funmi (she came from Nigeria five years ago) also had similar cultural views but now understands that we have to work as a team. Funmi has two friends who married women back home and they both broke up within the first three years, due to excessive expectation and differing expectations of what a partner should provide and cater for. Money issues are in the top three of relationship breakdown excuses so you need to find out her world view and gauge whether her mind is open to change, reason and discussion. If she is the stubborn type, RUN and don't look back.

1 Like

Re: Who Pays For The Mortgage? Me Alone, Or Should Wife Help? by MOM1(m): 3:30am On Mar 30, 2012
Like a friend of mine will always say "some ladies want a man who will take them out of poverty".. when she makes her own money what does she want to spend it on? Cloths,shoes,bags..smh..

3 Likes

Re: Who Pays For The Mortgage? Me Alone, Or Should Wife Help? by brainchild78(m): 4:26am On Mar 30, 2012
it should be a comboined effort provided she is sincerely earning income n financially capable.
Re: Who Pays For The Mortgage? Me Alone, Or Should Wife Help? by claremont(m): 7:52am On Mar 30, 2012
UK Bobo: If she is the stubborn type, RUN and don't look back.
cool
Re: Who Pays For The Mortgage? Me Alone, Or Should Wife Help? by Nobody: 10:48am On Mar 30, 2012
@OP

First, going to get a wife over THERE expecting her to automatically act/think and function like the ones over HERE is lipsrsealed , it cant do! you need to reboot her brain, remove her old OS system that is not compatible here in the real world, and install a completely new OS. you are trying to use an Apple software on a Window computer......but then again, that's what normally happens when guys go home to get a wife.

Second, you can clearly understand that you guys are not compatible, so instead of trying to change her, you could always look for someone that "thinks" like you, or someone who hope for the kind of future as the one that you expect etc. it is never a good idea to try to change someone because their natural self always comes right back at the end.

Last but not least, she probably believes that you are someone different than who you truly are (wonder how that came about, lol)........i suggest you let her know ASAP who you are and who you are looking for in a mate.

3 Likes

Re: Who Pays For The Mortgage? Me Alone, Or Should Wife Help? by MrMaintain: 12:33pm On Mar 30, 2012
MRbrownJAY: @OP

First, going to get a wife over THERE expecting her to automatically act/think and function like the ones over HERE is lipsrsealed , it cant do! you need to reboot her brain, remove her old OS system that is not compatible here in the real world, and install a completely new OS. you are trying to use an Apple software on a Window computer......but then again, that's what normally happens when guys go home to get a wife.

Second, you can clearly understand that you guys are not compatible, so instead of trying to change her, you could always look for someone that "thinks" like you, or someone who hope for the kind of future as the one that you expect etc. it is never a good idea to try to change someone because their natural self always comes right back at the end.

Last but not least, she probably believes that you are someone different than who you truly are (wonder how that came about, lol)........i suggest you let her know ASAP who you are and who you are looking for in a mate.

Thanks for your reply,

It's not that I pretend to be something that I am not. I am a modest guy with a good, professional job.......doesn't make me rich but it's a well paid role. I do send her back money now and again but I am financially prudent and not reckless. I realize that here in England it's very important to get on the property ladder early and to be prudent with money.
I hear what you are saying about comparability and not trying to change someone. But I am thinking, maybe once she gets here and sees how things are done here, her mindset might change?
Re: Who Pays For The Mortgage? Me Alone, Or Should Wife Help? by MrsChima(f): 12:37pm On Mar 30, 2012
MrMaintain:

Thanks for your reply,

It's not that I pretend to be something that I am not. I am a modest guy with a good, professional job.......doesn't make me rich but it's a well paid role. I do send her back money now and again but I am financially prudent and not reckless. I realize that here in England it's very important to get on the property ladder early and to be prudent with money.
I hear what you are saying about comparability and not trying to change someone. But I am thinking, maybe once she gets here and sees how things are done here, her mindset might change?

You are missing his key point, "change". Why are you focusing on "change"? If she is not what you want in TOTALITY then find someone who agrees with YOUR frame of mind. That's what my woman beating brotha is implicating. tongue

Would you want your future wife to CHANGE you? I think not. Don't expect of others what you are not willing to do yourself. wink
Re: Who Pays For The Mortgage? Me Alone, Or Should Wife Help? by MrMaintain: 12:39pm On Mar 30, 2012
UK Bobo: She is a product of her environment and expects such. My girlfriend Funmi (she came from Nigeria five years ago) also had similar cultural views but now understands that we have to work as a team. Funmi has two friends who married women back home and they both broke up within the first three years, due to excessive expectation and differing expectations of what a partner should provide and cater for. Money issues are in the top three of relationship breakdown excuses so you need to find out her world view and gauge whether her mind is open to change, reason and discussion. If she is the stubborn type, RUN and don't look back.

Uk bobo thanks guy for d response. How did you manage to change funmi's view? Did her perception change as soon as she saw the reality of this place? The thing is, we have discuss many things and considered me relocating bk to naij after the wedding and I explained that of course if am in naija things would be different, I can cater for everything. But out here it doesn't work that way - the Nigerians living here, the whites, whatever nationality. No household maintains a household with just one contributor.

Yes she is of the stubborn type to be sincere, but I love her soo much and I just want her to reason with me and to enlighten her that when she comes here, those naija attitudes don't apply here. It is not so much the attitude alone - as you know couples do joint financing, joint banking, get the mortgage in both people's names etc, but she does not grasp that. She believes that I must pay everything for the house( cos its mans job to provide shelter) , all the food etc, and for the kids, cos that's biblical. She can work if she wants to, but I mustn't use her money . She thinks I am being untruthful when I say it's not that way. Also, to take care of things such as outings and vacations.

Just to add, as a man I fully EXPECT to earn more than her, and to contribute much more than her
Re: Who Pays For The Mortgage? Me Alone, Or Should Wife Help? by SAFO(m): 12:49pm On Mar 30, 2012
OP this woman no sabi what it's like to live abroad. Car pymts, mortgage, gas/electric bills, daycare, taxes, credit card pymts. etc.

With her mentality she will financially sink you. Betta get one of those UK born 9ja broads who'll better understand your plight.

Me personally though. I feel it's the man's duty to take care of home & house. Provided that you can afford to in this rough economy. Fortunately enough for me, I've been blessed with a great job so my wife doesn't have to work.

I'm not sure how it works in the UK but in the US if you're not pulling in at least a 6 figure income, you're going to have a hard time living off one salary, thus both of you should be contributing.
Re: Who Pays For The Mortgage? Me Alone, Or Should Wife Help? by tellwisdom: 12:49pm On Mar 30, 2012
[size=15pt]Nigerian gurls wont stop disgracing us embarassed embarassed[/size]
Re: Who Pays For The Mortgage? Me Alone, Or Should Wife Help? by MrMaintain: 1:02pm On Mar 30, 2012
SAFO: OP this woman no sabi what it's like to live abroad. Car pymts, mortgage, gas/electric bills, daycare, taxes, credit card pymts. etc.

With her mentality she will financially sink you. Betta get one of those UK born 9ja broads who'll better understand your plight.

Me personally though. I feel it's the man's duty to take care of home & house. Provided that you can afford to in this rough economy. Fortunately enough for me, I've been blessed with a great job so my wife doesn't have to work.

I'm not sure how it works in the UK but in the US if you're not pulling in at least a 6 figure income, you're going to have a hard time living off one salary, thus both of you should be contributing.

That's just it. When I think about it mehn, they are two completely different worlds entirely! Anyway sha, maybe she will understand me more when she gets her and sees t with her own eyes.
Re: Who Pays For The Mortgage? Me Alone, Or Should Wife Help? by queensmith: 1:04pm On Mar 30, 2012
Woo i advise you to leave your wife in nigeria to marry a man that will deliver all her dreams and desires while she sits at home like a slowpoke! mshew!
Does she think shes marrying a millionaire? She must have never been to school ,does she believe because you live in the uk you are a millionaire? She should hold on to that thought!
For your peace of mind i advise you to marry a woman that understands marriage is an equal partnership and everyone must pull their weight about and not be dependant for anything! mshew
Many nigerian women work very hard for their families, even more than their husbands! You better drop that village girl like shes hot immediately!
Re: Who Pays For The Mortgage? Me Alone, Or Should Wife Help? by MrMaintain: 1:04pm On Mar 30, 2012
tellwisdom: [size=15pt]Nigerian gurls wont stop disgracing us embarassed embarassed[/size]

But that's just it, it's not even all of them. Most of my other Nigerians out here, and n the states etc that have gone back home to marry, the wives (fiancé) understand how it works. My pastor sef, the wife is earning more and gave testimony about how his wife is paying the car loan for them
Of course I would ever want to be in that situation as a man. But still, many Nigerian women DO actually understand how the reality is here. But I guess there are just a few that still do not. Thanks
Re: Who Pays For The Mortgage? Me Alone, Or Should Wife Help? by tellwisdom: 1:15pm On Mar 30, 2012
Bro, if she refuses to assist. Back off angry angry What a life embarassed embarassed
Re: Who Pays For The Mortgage? Me Alone, Or Should Wife Help? by jaybee3(m): 1:16pm On Mar 30, 2012
queensmith: Woo i advise you to leave your wife in nigeria to marry a man that will deliver all her dreams and desires while she sits at home like a slowpoke! mshew!
Does she think shes marrying a millionaire? She must have never been to school ,does she believe because you live in the uk you are a millionaire? She should hold on to that thought!
For your peace of mind i advise you to marry a woman that understands marriage is an equal partnership and everyone must pull their weight about and not be dependant for anything! mshew
Many nigerian women work very hard for their families, even more than their husbands! You better drop that village girl like shes hot immediately!
GBAM
Re: Who Pays For The Mortgage? Me Alone, Or Should Wife Help? by neyostica: 1:34pm On Mar 30, 2012
Op, leave the girl alone, she wants a real man who can takecare of her not some struggling modafucker like you. Yeye boy, why she go contribute? You beta go n work harder. Queensmith, you are a foollllllllllll
Re: Who Pays For The Mortgage? Me Alone, Or Should Wife Help? by Nobody: 1:38pm On Mar 30, 2012
The reality even in Nigeria for most couples is that expenditure is shared. No middle class family with both couples working survive on one persons income. In my home, hubby pays the mortgage ( he got the house luckily when Government was doing sales of house if not we would not have been able to afford our own house in Abuja), light and water bills, then half of the school fees, i pay the other half of the school fees, I am responsible for buying food stuff, paying house workers, doing internal decorations, if we need to paint or repair if it is below 20k he pays if it is above we share the expenses. This also applies to many married friends I know, infact some even earn more than their husbands and are responsible for rent and bigger expenses but you will never know. So i doubt if it is a Nigerian Woman mentality, a lot of us are ready and actively support our husbands, it is a lazy/ selfish woman mentality she has. What does she intend to do with her own money? If she cant invest in her own home then I am sorry for her

3 Likes

Re: Who Pays For The Mortgage? Me Alone, Or Should Wife Help? by tellwisdom: 1:47pm On Mar 30, 2012
neyostica: Op, leave the girl alone, she wants a real man who can takecare of her not some struggling modafucker like you. Yeye boy, why she go contribute? You beta go n work harder. Queensmith, you are a foollllllllllll

Bro, its uncalled for naw sad sad Aby she no give you punny ni?? grin grin
Re: Who Pays For The Mortgage? Me Alone, Or Should Wife Help? by queensmith: 1:49pm On Mar 30, 2012
neyostica: Op, leave the girl alone, she wants a real man who can takecare of her not some struggling modafucker like you. Yeye boy, why she go contribute? You beta go n work harder. Queensmith, you are a foollllllllllll

Your mother is a bigger fool, keeping an slowpoke like you. Kmt
Re: Who Pays For The Mortgage? Me Alone, Or Should Wife Help? by tellwisdom: 2:07pm On Mar 30, 2012
chloroquinesmith, sweerie, can i touch ur boobss?? wink wink U will enjoy it morethan me wink wink
Re: Who Pays For The Mortgage? Me Alone, Or Should Wife Help? by queensmith: 2:13pm On Mar 30, 2012
tellwisdom: chloroquinesmith, sweerie, can i touch ur boobss?? wink wink U will enjoy it morethan me wink wink

i know you think your funny, but your really not. I suggest you crawl back into whatever hole you came out from, this is the only bit of attention you'll receive from me.
Re: Who Pays For The Mortgage? Me Alone, Or Should Wife Help? by neyostica: 2:20pm On Mar 30, 2012
queensmith:

My mother is a bigger fool, keeping an slowpoke like me. Kmt
Well, that sums it up
Re: Who Pays For The Mortgage? Me Alone, Or Should Wife Help? by tellwisdom: 2:24pm On Mar 30, 2012
queensmith:

i know you think your funny, but your really not. I suggest you crawl back into whatever hole you came out from, this is the only bit of attention you'll receive from me.

Yansh me and i will make u happy wink wink
Re: Who Pays For The Mortgage? Me Alone, Or Should Wife Help? by JeSoul(f): 2:27pm On Mar 30, 2012
I'm going to differ a bit here...I don't think this is necessarily a problem of culture but rather a basic misunderstanding of what marriage is or should be about.

In the institution of marriage - two become one - in every aspect including financial. Women shouldn't be looking at it as "a man being able to take care of you", this is very selfish. She should equally be thinking about how she can also contribute financially rather than keeping her cake and eating from someone else's. You should both be able to take care of each other. It shouldn't be looked at as "his money" and then "my money" but instead how will combine our efforts and how will we spend "our money together". Before I married my husband we combined our accounts and spent money together. No such thing as his or my account, everything is joint including properties & assets. This is someone I'm going to trust with my heart & life, you need to search yourself if you're not ready to trust him/her with your money as well.

@OP, its good you're having this discussion now. I will caution you about the hopes of "changing" someone once you're married. Any changing or compromising or agreements should be done before you tie the knot or else end up like many stories we see everyday. I wish you all the best brother.

1 Like

Re: Who Pays For The Mortgage? Me Alone, Or Should Wife Help? by Outstrip(f): 2:41pm On Mar 30, 2012
She is thief. A lazy thief at that. She should sit her ass in Nigeria. I mean that mentality to me is why so many Nigerian girls end up in foreign counties as virtual prostitutes.
Re: Who Pays For The Mortgage? Me Alone, Or Should Wife Help? by Fhemmmy: 2:46pm On Mar 30, 2012
All you have to do is take time to explain to her and let her see reasons, let her understand that the house really belongs to the woman anyways.
You dont expect her to just accept what she never seen being practiced before, but all depends on how you explain it to her and i am sure, with time she will come around . . . but if you are sure she will never come around, please let her go and found someone that will be willing to work with you
Re: Who Pays For The Mortgage? Me Alone, Or Should Wife Help? by jaybee3(m): 3:51pm On Mar 30, 2012
JeSoul: I'm going to differ a bit here...I don't think this is necessarily a problem of culture but rather a basic misunderstanding of what marriage is or should be about.

In the institution of marriage - two become one - in every aspect including financial. Women shouldn't be looking at it as "a man being able to take care of you", this is very selfish. She should equally be thinking about how she can also contribute financially rather than keeping her cake and eating from someone else's. You should both be able to take care of each other. It shouldn't be looked at as "his money" and then "my money" but instead how will combine our efforts and how will we spend "our money together". Before I married my husband we combined our accounts and spent money together. No such thing as his or my account, everything is joint including properties & assets. This is someone I'm going to trust with my heart & life, you need to search yourself if you're not ready to trust him/her with your money as well.

@OP, its good you're having this discussion now. I will caution you about the hopes of "changing" someone once you're married. Any changing or compromising or agreements should be done before you tie the knot or else end up like many stories we see everyday. I wish you all the best brother.
God will continue to bless you.
Re: Who Pays For The Mortgage? Me Alone, Or Should Wife Help? by Nobody: 4:21pm On Mar 30, 2012
UK Bobo: She is a product of her environment and expects such. My girlfriend Funmi (she came from Nigeria five years ago) also had similar cultural views but now understands that we have to work as a team. Funmi has two friends who married women back home and they both broke up within the first three years, due to excessive expectation and differing expectations of what a partner should provide and cater for. Money issues are in the top three of relationship breakdown excuses so you need to find out her world view and gauge whether her mind is open to change, reason and discussion. If she is the stubborn type, RUN and don't look back.

Five years ago....UK bobo, and you still keep her as girlfriend, you berra marry her fast now or..

OP, Before talking of marriage, get her a visiting visa for 3month so she see her self how things work. Seems you love her alot to let her go, so invite her for a visit. Cheers
Re: Who Pays For The Mortgage? Me Alone, Or Should Wife Help? by coogar: 5:14pm On Mar 30, 2012
MrMaintain: Pls help on this situation,

I am currently living in the UK, and have been planning to get married to my partner who is back in Nigeria. We have been discussing a number of matters and today something which hadn't been discussed before came up.
She said that she "wants to be financially secure" and "would rather stay single than marry a man who can't take care of her" I asked her to she said that she is willing to work, but that any money she earns in her job is just for her, but the husband should provide all other things such as shelter, food, etc, but shouldn't take her from her own savings.

I explained to her that here in Europe, it doesn't work that way, I explained to her the concept of a mortgage, and that if a typical family has a family 3 bed house out here, both partners contribute to the mortgage. That things are different than in Nigeria, young couples go the bank together and get a joint mortgage. I explained that here, a couple go out for dinner and they often times split the bill, they have joint bank accounts, and that they budget and invest, save together.
She was astonished and still maintained that she doesn't believe that. "the husband must provide shelter, why should she contribute to the mortgage?"

Now I fully nderstand how things work back home, the guy would own a house(outright, no mortgages etc) and would woo the woman. And I explained that if I move back home after the wedding, I can do that. However, here with mutual funds, gas, taxes on everything, investing , etc etc it is slightly different. I was explaining to her how we buy houses here via 25 year mortgages etc.....we are oth late twenties.

Much of this is cultural. She has never travelled outside of Nigeria.....meanwhile, although I am Nigerian, I have actually spent not too much time there.

Can you folks offer any advise as to if either of us here is being unreasonable, and those abroad, how can I explain to her better how things work here in Europe?
Thanks

let her know the price of a 3-bedroom house.
she probably thinks the house you are buying is below 5 million naira - which you should easily find affordable.
take her around the city and let her see things for herself.

another option is to save her income in a joint account whilst you spend yours or vice versa.
Re: Who Pays For The Mortgage? Me Alone, Or Should Wife Help? by sharpman1(m): 5:21pm On Mar 30, 2012
This is not a cultural or geographical issue, it is an individual issue.

Gone are the days where the man's money is our money while the woman's money is her money. These days, even in Nigeria, there is usually a sort of collaboration. A lot of young couples combine their earnings and pay for the household expenses together.

@ OP,

Your partner needs to wake up. Things are different now.........and even Naija boys in Nigeria don't want liabilities. She probably thinks you are one rich London boy. In addition, she has lots of wrong people advising her.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

I'm Having Sleepless Nights Over A Mistake. What Do I Do / Please Help A Sister Out,hubby Is Making Life Miserable To Me / Does A Father Have The Right To Excessively Beat His Children?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.