Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,308 members, 7,808,043 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:33 AM

JAMB University Enrolment Figures Are Shocking? - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / JAMB University Enrolment Figures Are Shocking? (20724 Views)

Jamb University Eligibility Scam Alert. / JAMB UTME 2012: Stats And Figures. / Jamb University Cut Off Mark Is 180 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: JAMB University Enrolment Figures Are Shocking? by nanos: 2:56pm On Mar 31, 2012
sigba: I think Rochas juicy promises to Imo state indigenes schooling in the state affected the number of people that enrolled into IMSU.

Wrong. Stop exhibiting your ignorance. Imo has been consistent over years. Read the articles I posted
Re: JAMB University Enrolment Figures Are Shocking? by nanos: 3:00pm On Mar 31, 2012
This is for 2011

JAMB releases 2011 UTME results, says 842,851 candidates score below 200 marks
On June 25, 2011 · In News
3:39 am
Email0

By Chris Ochayi

ABUJA – The Joint Admission and Matriculation Board, JAMB, has disclosed that a total of 2, 892 candidates scored 300 marks and above in its 2011 Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination, UTME, conducted nationwide last week Saturday.

Besides, a total of 1,493,604 candidates who sat for the UTME examination are seeking for admission into the 500, 000 available spaces in the nation’s tertiary institutions.

Given the breakdown of candidates’ performance, today in Abuja, the Registrar of JAMB, Professor ‘Dibu Ojerinde said, “while 842, 851 candidates scored below 200 marks, 495,426 candidates scored between 200-249 and 67,732 scored between 250-269 as well as 31, 444 others, who scored between 270-299 marks.”

Out of this, the JAMB according him, is currently investigating the results of 7, 504 candidates, from some centres which he said are suspicious, and so the results must undergo further screening because of the unusual performances recorded by candidates from those centre.

He stated further that a total of 15, 160, representing 1.014 % of candidates, who participated in the examination were involved in exam malpractices.

On the issue of invalid and incomplete results that characterized the conducted of the exercise last year, Prof. Ojerinde announced a remarkable reduction from 82,000 cases in 2010 to 28, 069 in this 2011 exercise.

According to him, “this figure, 28,069, although is a remarkable reduction in the previous one. It still remains high. In the years ahead, we will further bring down the figure drastically. Our target is to totally eliminate this phenomenon by drumming it to our examiners to do checks on candidates during the examinations.”

Further analysis of the application by gender showed that 55.78% applicants are males while 44.22% candidates are females. These figures showed that 660,522 candidates are females while 833,082 are males.

While a total of 200 visually impaired candidates sat for the exams, 197 prisoners from mainly Kaduna State and Ikoyi Prison in Lagos State sat for the 2011 UTME exams. Imo State has highest number of applicants in the exams as the Federal Capital Territory, FCT, got the least applicant.

Prof Ojerinde asked candidates who sat for the examination to check their results on-line using JAMB scratch cards.

Ojerinde who said the results were posted on-line by 12.00 pm (today)Friday, said, the results are on the internet, as I am speaking with you. He advised that, “candidates do not need to buy any scratch card, but can utilize the scratch card earlier used during registration for the exam.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/06/breaking-news-jamb-releases-2011-utme-resultssays-824851-candidates-scored-below-200-marks/
Re: JAMB University Enrolment Figures Are Shocking? by patorini(m): 3:16pm On Mar 31, 2012
Funkymallam:

Another confused dude.

Kai! Internet is really not for everybody.

So true. Maybe a reasoning test should be included while signing up. The quality of some posts just make you wonder.

1 Like

Re: JAMB University Enrolment Figures Are Shocking? by patorini(m): 3:17pm On Mar 31, 2012
Funkymallam:

Another confused dude.

Kai! Internet is really not for everybody.

So true. Maybe a reasoning test should be included while signing up. The quality of some posts just makes you wonder...
Re: JAMB University Enrolment Figures Are Shocking? by chmod777: 3:34pm On Mar 31, 2012
oraclefemi:

Youre wrong, a lot of students migrate to place where you can write the exams and cheat easily, my sister went to a village in ijebu to write waec, migration occurs i am sure of that
Dear oraclefemi, by oracle I feel u are an IT expert, u are more mature than the argument you are posing. Have u been following the threads ? State of Origin is used by JAMB , not state of residence or no of exam centres. Why not accept the fact that IMO people have over 40/% educated piple than most SW states, check it out from the link from nano.
Suit your self
Re: JAMB University Enrolment Figures Are Shocking? by ujchief(m): 3:34pm On Mar 31, 2012
Unizik is the school of the moment! I spent 4 years and 7 months for a degree in chemical engr., and a 2 months holliday at the end of every session. with an un-interupted accademic calender like theirs, u cant beat the quality of education there-in. With a consistent 100 per cent rating from Nuc and all the departments getting a full or partial accreditation, what more can u ask of?

1 Like

Re: JAMB University Enrolment Figures Are Shocking? by chmod777: 3:42pm On Mar 31, 2012
Sagamite: It is quite foolish to conclude which region has the most educated based on JAMB enrolments or which university is of the highest quality based on selection popularity.

All the data from the table are only (at best) indicative, not conclusive.

If anyone is foolish enough to disagree with my assertion, feel free to challenge it.
My brother u had better faced reality steering u in the face. just tell ur piple to wake up. Please suggest how best to know which area is is more educated. Imo is about 50,000 more than the highest in SW.
Assuming 50K from IMo failed the exam and non failed in the highest state in SW, then it becomes equal to the highest state in SW, but is that possible ??
Re: JAMB University Enrolment Figures Are Shocking? by nanos: 3:42pm On Mar 31, 2012
chmod777:
Dear oraclefemi, by oracle I feel u are an IT expert, u are more mature than the argument you are posing. Have u been following the threads ? State of Origin is used by JAMB , not state of residence or no of exam centres. Why not accept the fact that IMO people have over 40/% educated piple than most SW states, check it out from the link from nano.
Suit your self

Don't waste your time. Yorubas live in denial when defeated. You are not about to change that now.
Re: JAMB University Enrolment Figures Are Shocking? by chmod777: 3:55pm On Mar 31, 2012
To buttress the point about IMSU and IMO pple, check out the thread
Imsu First Class Female Law Graduate Bags Four Awards
https://www.nairaland.com/874336/imsu-first-class-female-law
Most times the Big names universities may not realy be relevant in real sense
Re: JAMB University Enrolment Figures Are Shocking? by Abagworo(m): 4:02pm On Mar 31, 2012
Nnenna1:

Are you sure about this?

Cameroon has long viewed her giant neighbour as an
imperialist-in-the-making, especially given Nigerians'
ballooning population. They began arriving Cameroon
in the early colonial days as fishermen, traders and
administrators. Their population is now estimated at
more than 4m out of a population of 19.5m.

bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-11429067

War in the Central
African Republic has driven more than twenty thousand
refugees to Cameroon's Adamawa and East provinces since
2002. Nigerians, especially Igbo, make up the largest group
of foreign nationals.

newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Cameroon
Re: JAMB University Enrolment Figures Are Shocking? by PalmTree(m): 4:22pm On Mar 31, 2012
[quote author=Funkymallam]

U still have not answered his question, even with ur geography degree.
I advice u read d question again, this time, slowly for better understanding.

Firstly, if d guy i advised nids more clarifications i'm sure he'll ask me himself, none the less I'l go slowly dis tym cos of u. The fact is dt u dont av to b of oyo state origin or probably reside there to apply to U.I and same goes for all other institutions. I gave my submissions on d basis of choice and d reasons dt influence such choices. Lastly, I dont post on dis blog to invoke quarrels so pls if u must post do so without insults either subtle or direct. Ciao
Re: JAMB University Enrolment Figures Are Shocking? by PalmTree(m): 4:22pm On Mar 31, 2012
Funkymallam:

Goodluck.
Re: JAMB University Enrolment Figures Are Shocking? by PalmTree(m): 4:25pm On Mar 31, 2012
[quote author=Funkymallam]

Firstly, if d guy i advised nids more clarifications i'm sure he'll ask me himself, none the less I'l go slowly dis tym cos of u. The fact is dt u dont av to b of oyo state origin or probably reside there to apply to U.I and same goes for all other institutions. I gave my submissions on d basis of choice and d reasons dt influence such choices. Lastly, I dont post on dis blog to invoke quarrels so pls if u must post do so without insults either subtle or direct. Ciao
Re: JAMB University Enrolment Figures Are Shocking? by nwabobo: 5:07pm On Mar 31, 2012
nanos:

I know a number of traders who are graduates in Alaba and Ariaria markets. They go into buying and selling for lack of corporate jobs.

Point of correction, not for lack of corporate jobs but the fact that self employment pays more than being an employee. Mind you, most of them are millionaires
Re: JAMB University Enrolment Figures Are Shocking? by Olalekan0(m): 5:17pm On Mar 31, 2012
kcswat: mumu. Since 1980s imo state has always bn ontop. So maybe rochas declare free education then? Rochas free education has not even implemented.
Must you insult me? Can't you drive home your points without the use of expletives?
Re: JAMB University Enrolment Figures Are Shocking? by ceejayluv(m): 5:21pm On Mar 31, 2012
Anyone who doubts the consistent statistics is a fool. If it were based on residents, Lagos would have had the highest no. of candidates.
Re: JAMB University Enrolment Figures Are Shocking? by niceone3(m): 6:02pm On Mar 31, 2012
wow shocked! the consistent dominance of imo in jamb enrollment over the years is simply unbelievable angry. sometimes i wonder if imo indigenes are the most populous in Nigeria. i wouldn't want to believe that though but going by the consistent huge distance with which they surpass the states that are closest to them( consistently in tens of thousands) one wonders if they really are.
Re: JAMB University Enrolment Figures Are Shocking? by Ugosample(m): 6:17pm On Mar 31, 2012
Majority of the people commenting here are just ignorant. Don't you know that the figures were based on State of origin and not state of residence, which means that people from Imo state but reside in Lagos is under the category of Imo and not lagos? Please note.
Re: JAMB University Enrolment Figures Are Shocking? by emsquare(m): 7:22pm On Mar 31, 2012
Yeske!:
The north is unarguably the most backward in education.

Abi!
Re: JAMB University Enrolment Figures Are Shocking? by Nobody: 8:12pm On Mar 31, 2012
Onlytruth: But by far my biggest shock of these is that NAU is now the second most popular school in Nigeria, second only to UNILAG. shocked shocked
When did this happen?

My guy you just don't wanna believe it but unizik right now is the one federal university that has never gone on strike be it ASUU or any other type. You get your full fledged duration of any course wuthout any unwanted year unless gettin a carryover will be the deal breaker. Students don't wanna stay in skul 6 yrs for a 4 yr course. Apart fron that they are just starting because of its establishment 20yrs ago which is still young for a university. Therefore there are enough hands on deck for the students. Classes are condusive smaland less populated. Environment favours ones choice of skul. This ain't news cos I was expecting it. The only flaw they have right now is their medicine department.
Re: JAMB University Enrolment Figures Are Shocking? by utimayor(m): 9:32pm On Mar 31, 2012
Abagworo:

1) Anambra is clearly more populous than Imo.

2) Imo is more education minded than Anambra at least in recent generation.

3) The JAMB statistics is based on State of origin and not State of residence. That is why the figures for Abuja and Lagos are too insignificant.

4) If a census is done based on State of origin, Anambra is very much likely the most populous State in Nigeria followed closely by Imo, Akwa-Ibom and Delta.

Gbam! You have said it all. This is the most meaningful and unbiased comment so far.
Re: JAMB University Enrolment Figures Are Shocking? by cecegorz(m): 12:35am On Apr 01, 2012
As an Alumni of UNIZIK, I can say that the enviable height she has attained, trailing the Great UNILAG (I am also an Alumni here) by just a slim margin as a preferred 1st choice destination by Nigerian candidates is not a chance occurrence but a deliberate program initiated by Anambra Professionals back in the days.
I got in Sept. 2000 and graduated April 2004. A no mean feat by Nigerian Universities of those heady years.
Having inherited temporary structures (our 100 level courses were actually administered inside a whare house!) from the old ASUTECH, after the splitting of old Anambra state into Enugu and Anambra, the school began with the best of lecturers relocated from UNN and other schools. (Not sure UNN has recovered from this yet)
Then came the drive from Prof Ilochi Okafor who took the bulls by the horn to develop the permanent site, first of all by jerking up school fees then at about 4k to 25k or there about, there was an uproar but the man stuck with the vision.
Today, all the faculties have moved to their permanent structures with better LTs and office blocks.
With the massive human and infrastructure development still going on there, I expect them to take the no. 1 spot soonest.
We ain't called Giants for fun!
Re: JAMB University Enrolment Figures Are Shocking? by Obiagu1(m): 1:08am On Apr 01, 2012
Onlytruth:

Exactly! Honestly I strongly believe that Imo state is being undercounted population-wise somehow. My statistical hunch tells me that the state is actually more populous than it is being credited with.
These figures are powerful.
The gap between Imo and Anambra (in enrollment) is almost 40,000; yet Anambra is about 1.8 times the population of Imo (per the official population figures!).
I know that Anambra is not as education minded as Imo, but not by that much. Honestly I don't know any Anambra kid THESE DAYS that is not sitting for JAMB even if there is no money to pay for the university. Before it used to be that kids just chose trading, but these days, they would pursue education first before returning to trading.
What the published figures say is that Imo kids are about [b]4 times [/b]more likely to enrol for JAMB than Anambra kids. I honestly don't believe that.

This shouldn't have surprised you; all Imo people do is school. Anambra is either second or third in number of enrolment in Nigeria every year which is good. We are more balanced, everyone must not go to school which has helped us cool
To account for Anambra huge population,go to Abuja, Lagos, Kano, the majority of Igbos there are from Anambra.

I'll like to say that Anambra is not 1.8 times more populous than Imo; that Wiki statistics has been tempered with.
Anambra population (2006) = 4,182,032
Imo population (2006) = 3,934,899

So Imo is almost as populous as Anambra.
Re: JAMB University Enrolment Figures Are Shocking? by chubysoft1(m): 7:30am On Apr 01, 2012
What marvels me most is not even Imo or Delta/Anambra's position in the chart but actually the sharp decline in population of JAMB canditates compared to previous years. . . Do anyone have a clue on that?
Re: JAMB University Enrolment Figures Are Shocking? by solomon111(m): 9:33am On Apr 01, 2012
Even in Delta state,the aniomas are the most educated set of people.
They were probably the highest contributor, to the high literacy level of Delta state.
It seems the igbos are undergoing a silent educational revolution!
Re: JAMB University Enrolment Figures Are Shocking? by Rocktation(f): 1:57pm On Apr 01, 2012
[quote author=Onlytruth]I know there was a time that University of Ibadan was in the same rank as UNN and OAU and UNILAG; how did UI only manage to rank lower than Imo state university in student preferrence? What happened to UI?

Prospective students are scared that UI may wake up one morning and cancel their undergraduate programme. Cos there's been some mumblings about it for some time now. They're getting more and more interested in only post-graduates.
Re: JAMB University Enrolment Figures Are Shocking? by Odaveboy(m): 4:45pm On Apr 01, 2012
Onlytruth: I know there was a time that University of Ibadan was in the same rank as UNN and OAU and UNILAG; how did UI only manage to rank lower than Imo state university in student preferrence? What happened to UI?
.............i think jambite r nw afraid of UI cos of d way they select thr candidate.....in oda uni....once u ave above 200...u r entitled 2 thr putme but in UI.......only God knows
Re: JAMB University Enrolment Figures Are Shocking? by Loskee(f): 5:20pm On Apr 01, 2012
Areosapien:

Now, this is another classic proof to show how ignorant and dumb you are.

Sapien is for HUMANS and not apes, my dumb empty headed friend, while AREO is a prefix to denote anything related to the planet MARS. In other words, my name stands for "Martian".

You see? You're too much of a DULLARD to be engaging in serious political discussions, fella. Why not sit this out?

Imagine. Akwa Ibom, 3rd most populous state in Nigeria. LMFAO! grin

the guy thought 'Flying' because he saw 'AREO' and thought it was 'AERO'

last thing i am going to say is that you guys are just too funny!

FLYING APE!!! grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: JAMB University Enrolment Figures Are Shocking? by Loskee(f): 5:26pm On Apr 01, 2012
nanos: I will post newspaper reports for a number of years to prove the consistency of Imo and Anambra. JAMB website contained these information until Dibu Ojerinde destroyed the website (was he hiding something?). This is evidence from 2006.

JAMB Cancels 108,769 Results
Kolawole Daniel, Abuja - 08.07.2006

THE Joint Admission and Matriculation Board (JAMB) has cancelled the results of 108,769 candidates out of 806,089 who sat for this year’s Universities Matriculation Examination (UME) for engaging in examination malpractice.

A 38-year-old, Mr. Lymangee Agirafo, Benue State, headed this year’s list with an aggregate score of 330, while Mr. Ade Maliki, 46, from Kogi State with an aggregate score of 324 was also among the top ten.

Briefing newsmen in Abuja, JAMB Registrar, Professor Bello Salim, said it was quite unfortunate to note that the board was being forced to cancel many results because of large scale irregularity and malpractice discovered during the processing of the results.

Professor Salim also put the number of candidates whose scripts were unscannable at 7,430 due to multiple shading; incomplete shading, incorrect shading and leaving the scripts blank.

“This is quite unhealthy for the education sector and the board will continue to de-recognise examination towns and centres where wholesale malpractices were discovered,” he said.

The JAMB board registrar also announced that it has delisted about 1,700 examination towns where malpractice were perpetrated.

The analysis also showed six states who had the highest number of applications this year with Imo State topping the list with 83,895 applications, Edo State with 57,754, Anambra State with 57,607, Delta State with 54,522, Abia State with 39,054 and Akwa Ibom State with 36,054.

https://www.nairaland.com/17612/interesting-statistics-jamb

of course they would get such high scores! i'm sure the jamb A-listers must have had some other degrees relating to elementary subjects which made them top the list!
old old men... well, education is never too much. they probably find joy writing exams and going to school with the young lads and carrying schoolbags too, probably with lunch money and snacks inside!!!
tongue
Re: JAMB University Enrolment Figures Are Shocking? by IleIfe2(m): 5:50pm On Apr 01, 2012
Since Oyo is the 5th most populous state in Nigeria per the official figures, how come that UI is only attracting just 40,011 in JAMB preferrence?
Is it that Oyo citizens hate UI since they are 4th highest enrolling state? Is there a better school in Oyo state than UI?

Or is it that Oyo may not be that populous after all?

Most Nigerians that live in that area prefer to send their children to private universities than eat 3 square meals a day. cool

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Nigerian Students Sue Alabama College For Treating Them ‘like Animals’ / FG Approves Four New Private Universities In Ogun, Oyo, Osun, Kaduna / FG Releases N16.8bn To Settle Tertiary Institutions Salary Arrears

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.