Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,312 members, 7,808,051 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:00 AM

Funny But True To Life Superstitions - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Funny But True To Life Superstitions (24715 Views)

Funny But True African Proverbs / Funny But Wise African Proverbs. / Do You Believe In These Superstitions? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Funny But True To Life Superstitions by slimyem: 4:12pm On Mar 31, 2012
Superstitions are beliefs justified neither by reason,evidence nor by any religious canon.

Much as i dont beleive in superstitious stories,i have had a few reasons to reconsider my judgements concerning them.
This thread is directed at people who have heard or seen superstitious beliefs at play.
I'd go first with one i heard!

In my place,there's a particular local broom made from dry grass.anytime you happen to have constipation,you could just wave it over your tummy and speak words telling the broom to eat from it and poof,you feel better!cheesy cheesy cheesy

I heard another one about people who have boils on their knees.
All they need do is find a waste-dump and go kneel on it for a few minutes.funny but it worked for someone i know!cheesy cheesy cheesy

There's more......after i read yours!
Re: Funny But True To Life Superstitions by dekung(m): 5:47pm On Mar 31, 2012
If you wash your hands with a particular native soap while having a bout with stomach pain you will be relieved

If you stand on a motar while it raining you will get struck by lightening

If you whistle at night a snake would pay you a visit

This last one made me realise most things are sheer coincidence:
When my daughter turned 10 months, my mother in law was worried that she has not started walking so she went to the village and complained to some people who told her to get white chalk, ground it into powder and mix it with soap. She was to bath my daughter using the mixture of soap, chalk, administered with a local sponge and her body should be rinsed with water warmed by the morning sunlight. she brought the chalk and native and local sponge but for one reason or the other she couldnt perform the silly ritual before she went back home but she promised to come back the following week and bathe for my daughter. Before that week ran out, my daughter had started walking. Assuming she bathed her with the chalky mixture and my girl starts walking she would have been propagating the news that it was the chalk and luke (sunny) warm water.
This is how superstition is birthed!

4 Likes

Re: Funny But True To Life Superstitions by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:18pm On Mar 31, 2012
dekung:

i know this one. it actually happens at times.
Re: Funny But True To Life Superstitions by slimyem: 8:24pm On Mar 31, 2012
-if a girl pounds an empty mortar,her biyest would become saggy!
-if someone is set out to punish you and you want him/her to forget,remove an eyelash and put it in your hair!cheesy cheesy cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Funny But True To Life Superstitions by manmustwac(m): 8:26pm On Mar 31, 2012
My mother said according to their custom she had to checkout my babes parents family (our inlaws) to make sure there's no witch in their family before i marry their daughter >: And their daughter (my babe) even agreed with this. Fortuneately for me there was no witch in their family.

1 Like

Re: Funny But True To Life Superstitions by ruffhandu: 9:44pm On Mar 31, 2012
When we were kids, we believed in my village that if you have stomach bite, take some saliva and touch your navel, and you'll be free.
I think it has worked for me those days.

Many of them superstitions.

3 Likes

Re: Funny But True To Life Superstitions by ruffhandu: 9:54pm On Mar 31, 2012
My mama used to forbid sweeping at night, says by dat you'll be sweeping away wealth.
Funny,I believed this for a very long time.

1 Like

Re: Funny But True To Life Superstitions by mazaje(m): 10:07pm On Mar 31, 2012
While growing up in kano, we have this black substance called kuwalli. ..We were told that if we put it on our eye lash, any girl that makes eye contact with us will automatically fall in love with us. . .I tried it many times and it failed. . grin

2 Likes

Re: Funny But True To Life Superstitions by slimyem: 11:09pm On Mar 31, 2012
when i was young my age-mates and i were just developing boobies,we heard stories that if we wanted 'em boobies to be bigger,we should find a certain species of beetle and rub it on the neeples.
Dunno if it ever worked for anyone though!

2 Likes

Re: Funny But True To Life Superstitions by Miroslavklose: 10:55am On Apr 01, 2012
My mom told me that if i post on NL, a certain character called Slimyem will fall in love with me

2 Likes

Re: Funny But True To Life Superstitions by Miroslavklose: 10:57am On Apr 01, 2012
slimyem: when i was young my age-mates and i were just developing boobies,we heard stories that if we wanted 'em boobies to be bigger,we should find a certain species of beetle and rub it on the neeples.
Dunno if it ever worked for anyone though !
meaning u did tried it. show me ur bossom size then and now for comparison

1 Like

Re: Funny But True To Life Superstitions by slimyem: 11:29am On Apr 01, 2012
Miroslav klose: My mom told me that if i post on NL, a certain character called Slimyem will fall in love with me
haha!
Dream on boy!

1 Like

Re: Funny But True To Life Superstitions by slimyem: 11:32am On Apr 01, 2012
Miroslav klose:
meaning u did tried it. show me ur bossom size then and now for comparison
i wanted to but i didnt find the beetle.
It didnt stop me from being sizeably chested though! cheesycheesy
Re: Funny But True To Life Superstitions by Miroslavklose: 1:28pm On Apr 01, 2012
slimyem: haha!
Dream on boy!
mam i dont dream dreams like daniel or Joseph
Re: Funny But True To Life Superstitions by Miroslavklose: 1:30pm On Apr 01, 2012
slimyem: i wanted to but i didnt find the beetle.
It didnt stop me from being sizeably chested though! cheesycheesy
Na lie. post the before and after pix. I want to see what u desire( di saiya)

1 Like

Re: Funny But True To Life Superstitions by Nobody: 1:30pm On Apr 01, 2012
Hmmmmmm
Re: Funny But True To Life Superstitions by slimyem: 5:04pm On Apr 01, 2012
Miroslav klose: Na lie. post the before and after pix. I want to see what u desire( di saiya)
wait till forever! tonguetongue

1 Like

Re: Funny But True To Life Superstitions by dayokanu(m): 5:12pm On Apr 01, 2012
If you wan grow beards rub methylated spirit on your chin
Re: Funny But True To Life Superstitions by Miroslavklose: 5:24pm On Apr 01, 2012
slimyem: wait till forever! tonguetongue
My mom told me that anyone with the name slimyam of fatyem go get bad mouth
Re: Funny But True To Life Superstitions by Miroslavklose: 5:25pm On Apr 01, 2012
dayokanu: If you wan grow beards rub methylated spirit on your chin
If u want to grow taller like me, start eating beans
Re: Funny But True To Life Superstitions by Dipwater(m): 6:11pm On Apr 01, 2012
dayokanu: If you wan grow beards rub methylated spirit on your chin
My broda this spirit own show me pepe ,nothing still come out. The thing startd growing on its own sha after I stopped using spirit
Re: Funny But True To Life Superstitions by slimyem: 9:21am On Apr 02, 2012
Miroslav klose: My mom told me that anyone with the name slimyam of fatyem go get bad mouth
grin grin
Re: Funny But True To Life Superstitions by angelsing(m): 12:26pm On Apr 02, 2012
if pepper enters your eyes, pour water on ur leg and you will be able to open them.. @slimyem: the part about cutting ur eyelashes really worked for me wen i was young
Re: Funny But True To Life Superstitions by lilkech(m): 12:28pm On Apr 02, 2012
in those years in lagos anytime we saw cattle eaglets flying in the sky we would raise our hands to them and wave our fingers furiously while singing something like "se-ke-le-ke, se-ke-le-ke sometin sometin" and just like magic by the time the birds fly by we would have white streaks in most of our finger nails.

This one works 100%

feel free to quote me

9 Likes

Re: Funny But True To Life Superstitions by kombats: 12:30pm On Apr 02, 2012
dekung: If you wash your hands with a particular native soap while having a bout with stomach pain you will be relieved

If you stand on a motar while it raining you will get struck by lightening

This last one made me realise most things are sheer coincidence:
When my daughter turned 10 months, my mother in law was worried that she has not started walking so she went to the village and complained to some people who told her to get white chalk, ground it into powder and mix it with soap. She was to bath my daughter using the mixture of soap, chalk, administered with a local sponge and her body should be rinsed with water warmed by the morning sunlight. she brought the chalk and native and local sponge but for one reason or the other she couldnt perform the silly ritual before she went back home but she promised to come back the following week and bathe for my daughter. Before that week ran out, my daughter had started walking. Assuming she bathed her with the chalky mixture and my girl starts walking she would have been propagating the news that it was the chalk and luke (sunny) warm water.
This is how superstition is birthed!
lolzgringringrin
Re: Funny But True To Life Superstitions by Nobody: 12:31pm On Apr 02, 2012
slimyem: when i was young my age-mates and i were just developing boobies,we heard stories that if we wanted 'em boobies to be bigger,we should find a certain species of beetle and rub it on the neeples.
Dunno if it ever worked for anyone though!

The question is did it work for you ?
Re: Funny But True To Life Superstitions by pistol: 12:37pm On Apr 02, 2012
When i was a kid and was loosing my temporary set of teeth,my dad used to insist on having them to nail it to a chair,according to him,u will get new sparkling ones 4rm rats but if u just loose it.....Evil spirits gonna gv u theirs and u become a cannibal or vampire.
Vry funny o.BTW does rats hv good teeth?Am gonna check to find out sha

1 Like

Re: Funny But True To Life Superstitions by Nobody: 12:39pm On Apr 02, 2012
slimyem: -if a girl pounds an empty mortar,her biyest would become saggy!
-if someone is set out to punish you and you want him/her to forget,remove an eyelash and put it in your hair!cheesy cheesy cheesy

That shouldn't be much of a myth , imagine the sheer velocity of the moving biyest while pounding the mortar , empty or not , and you can get an idea why it will go saggy
Re: Funny But True To Life Superstitions by yuzedo: 12:41pm On Apr 02, 2012
If you see a kite, hawk, eagle or any bird of prey flying in the sky, simply loop both your index fingers and point at the bird like you would aim a catapult and boom, that avian is going to swoop down to the earth and touch the ground . . .
THAT. SH.IT. WORKS!!!!

3 Likes

Re: Funny But True To Life Superstitions by valencia25(m): 12:41pm On Apr 02, 2012
lilkech: in those years in lagos anytime we saw cattle eaglets flying in the sky we would raise our hands to them and wave our fingers furiously while singing something like "se-ke-le-ke, se-ke-le-ke sometin sometin" and just like magic by the time the birds fly by we would have white streaks in most of our finger nails.

This one works 100%

feel free to quote me

sincerely I totally Agree with this, expecting someone to prove this wrong?

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Miss Nigeria Cultural Pageant In Miami (Pics) / 2021 Igede Carnival In Pictures / Ooni Ogunwusi At Maryland Grand Ball - See Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.