Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,024 members, 7,807,012 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:35 AM

Yoruba The Most Popular African Language On Wikipedia - Jimmy Wales Co-Founder - Webmasters (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Yoruba The Most Popular African Language On Wikipedia - Jimmy Wales Co-Founder (11768 Views)

Yoruba Is The Most Popular African Language - Jimmy Wales / Jimmy Wales Wiki co-founder : 'Broadband Speed In Nigeria,Beats NY City' / Nairaland Is Now On Wikipedia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba The Most Popular African Language On Wikipedia - Jimmy Wales Co-Founder by aljharem(m): 11:58pm On Apr 01, 2012
Kingsleyinfo:
come o u dis okoro..
can u pls highlight where I said someone forced or was forcing me? Pls get ür facts straight or better still, go grow a brain and use it to reason properly.
I dared him to try forcing me, is English so hard for you to understand.
Now last time I checked, Wales was part of the united kingdom, and the official language for the UK was and is still English. Does that answer ür question?
And I would say this for the last time, I DO NOT HAVE A PROBLEM WITH YORUBA LANGUAGE. But I definetely have a problem with, shallow brains like yours, that reason upside down.
And here is a question I asked that u have carefully avoided, if yoruba is widely spoken around Africa, does that make their language or culture the best? Am waiting because seriously if u had read my first post and my second sentence or thereabouts you would have noticed that my problem is with your thinking methodology.
I reserve the right to learn or not to learn a language, nobody for whatever reason can tell me otherwise.

I schooled in esan land, and I didn't ever here anybody openly tell me or ask why I was yet to understand esan, not even my friends who were esan. I went to the market and mixed up very well. Out here in ogun, if I communicate to u in English and u reply me in yoruba I simply walk away and go to the next store, I don't give a hoot what u think.
Imagine one teacher I met telling me that because I could not hear yoruba she wasn't gonna communicate in english with me, like I gave a rats arsse about what she wanted to say.
Bro I have got more self esteem than ür entire family can muster.... It is u who need to check ür domineering attitude and need for acceptance.
I like the kind life when I dey live now.
If I want to learn yoruba it will be out of love for the language, not because of what fish brains like you think.
see as he is taking the language matter very serious like say na shell employ am.
Guy abeg make u go kiss crase I nor get time to play kpankpangolo with u.
I am enjoying my time here... And get it I DIDN'T EVEN NEED TO LEARN THE LANGUAGE. So what's ür problem....
I have met some sound yoruba guys and gals but u are one of the very idiootic things that disgust me.
Go get a life jare and stop being a damn tribalistic bigot.

1. Why would you even take those people saying yoruba is the best etc serious ? and the answer to your question is NO

2. The official is NOT english, it is people that chose to make it english AKA de facto english and NOT necessarily into law. While Ogun IS YORUBA AND ENGLISH which is into law thus if anyone speaks yoruba, it is part of his constitutional right to do so in his father's land. http://ogunstate.gov.ng/index.php/commerce-a-industry

3. If an English man goes to wales, does he speak English or Celtic to them yes or No

4. Again it seems like you are not understanding what is being tabled out here. NO ONE IS FORCING ANYONE TO LEARN ANYTHING SO STOP THIS PORTRAY YOU ARE TRYING TO DO HERE.

5. Esan can chose to speak English to you, fine. I can also chose to speak english to you fine. But you going to Ogun state and expect people to speak English to you is crazy. Who the hell do you think you are ? Why should they change from their language of communication just because on Kingsley arrived to Abeokuta ? Why should they ?

6. You come here to paint a bad picture of your friend telling you to learn yoruba. DID HE FORCE YOU ? yes or no

Please answer

IF No, then why did you even make an issue of it at the first place given that he is your friend ?
Re: Yoruba The Most Popular African Language On Wikipedia - Jimmy Wales Co-Founder by Nobody: 12:02am On Apr 02, 2012
You and your obsession with Yoruba this Yoruba that.

Let go already.

Teach NL about Kanuri cuz am sure no one knows where da hell it is on the map.

alj harem:

1. Why would you even take those people saying yoruba is the best etc serious ? and the answer to your question is NO

2. The official is NOT english, it is people that chose to make it english AKA de facto english and NOT necessarily into law. While Ogun IS YORUBA AND ENGLISH which is into law thus if anyone speaks yoruba, it is part of his constitutional right to do so in his father's land. http://ogunstate.gov.ng/index.php/commerce-a-industry

3. If an English man goes to wales, does he speak English or Celtic to them yes or No

4. Again it seems like you are not understanding what is being tabled out here. NO ONE IS FORCING ANYONE TO LEARN ANYTHING SO STOP THIS PORTRAY YOU ARE TRYING TO DO HERE.

5. Esan can chose to speak English to you, fine. I can also chose to speak english to you fine. But you going to Ogun state and expect people to speak English to you is crazy. Who the hell do you think you are ? Why should they change from their language of communication just because on Kingsley arrived to Abeokuta ? Why should they ?

6. You come here to paint a bad picture of your friend telling you to learn yoruba. DID HE FORCE YOU ? yes or no

Please answer

IF No, then why did you even make an issue of it at the first place given that he is your friend ?
Re: Yoruba The Most Popular African Language On Wikipedia - Jimmy Wales Co-Founder by aljharem(m): 12:04am On Apr 02, 2012
Ileke-IdI:
You and your obsession with Yoruba this Yoruba that.

Let go already.

Teach NL about Kanuri cuz am sure no one knows where da hell it is on the map.

Really it is no longer about yoruba but the thought pattern of some Nigerians
Re: Yoruba The Most Popular African Language On Wikipedia - Jimmy Wales Co-Founder by ACM10: 1:11am On Apr 02, 2012
Babasessy: The co-founder of Wikipedia says the languages of Yoruba in West Africa and Swahili in East Africa are the most popular among the several African languages being used on the online encyclopedia.

Wikipedia co-founder Jimmy Wales, 45, says Yoruba is the most popular African language for Wikipedia, with 29,000 pages. The Swahili Wikipedia version is second among African languages with 23,000. Other African languages on Wikipedia include Afrikaans, Hausa, and Zulu.

Speaking in Lagos this week, Wales says his website is branching out from English.

"For a long time there was this sort of cultural concern as why do we have to do everything in English. What happens to local culture? Now we [are] going to have both," said Wales.

Wales founded Wikipedia in January 2001. Eleven years later, Wikipedia has become the go-to site for hundreds of millions of internet users seeking information about anything and everything. Its content is generated by thousands of self-appointed editors who write and rewrite the articles in an open, online process.

Wikipedia on has seven active editors working in Yoruba. But Wales hopes that more users for the online encyclopedia will appear in Yoruba as well as other African languages.

“Not everybody speaks English and won't," Wales noted. "So they should have a vibrant life in their own language. And that’s really great because it’s very organic and the internet provides that in a way for very low cost.”

But challenges such as internet connectivity in Africa remain. And Wales notes that getting people to work in languages besides English is not easy. The English version of Wikipedia has nearly four million pages, far more than any other language, though several languages such as French, German, Spanish and Russian have 800,000 pages or more.

http://www.voanews.com/english/news/africa/Wikipedia-Co-Founder-Adding-More-African-Languages-144875665.html#.T3a7VYkspFg.facebook

The same dude that remarked that broadband speed in Nigeria beats that of NY City. shocked Either he is is delusional or he has puffed high dose of Ondo sh1t. Yet some tribalist are falling for it. SMH
Re: Yoruba The Most Popular African Language On Wikipedia - Jimmy Wales Co-Founder by ACM10: 1:12am On Apr 02, 2012
Babasessy: The co-founder of Wikipedia says the languages of Yoruba in West Africa and Swahili in East Africa are the most popular among the several African languages being used on the online encyclopedia.

Wikipedia co-founder Jimmy Wales, 45, says Yoruba is the most popular African language for Wikipedia, with 29,000 pages. The Swahili Wikipedia version is second among African languages with 23,000. Other African languages on Wikipedia include Afrikaans, Hausa, and Zulu.

Speaking in Lagos this week, Wales says his website is branching out from English.

"For a long time there was this sort of cultural concern as why do we have to do everything in English. What happens to local culture? Now we [are] going to have both," said Wales.

Wales founded Wikipedia in January 2001. Eleven years later, Wikipedia has become the go-to site for hundreds of millions of internet users seeking information about anything and everything. Its content is generated by thousands of self-appointed editors who write and rewrite the articles in an open, online process.

Wikipedia on has seven active editors working in Yoruba. But Wales hopes that more users for the online encyclopedia will appear in Yoruba as well as other African languages.

“Not everybody speaks English and won't," Wales noted. "So they should have a vibrant life in their own language. And that’s really great because it’s very organic and the internet provides that in a way for very low cost.”

But challenges such as internet connectivity in Africa remain. And Wales notes that getting people to work in languages besides English is not easy. The English version of Wikipedia has nearly four million pages, far more than any other language, though several languages such as French, German, Spanish and Russian have 800,000 pages or more.

http://www.voanews.com/english/news/africa/Wikipedia-Co-Founder-Adding-More-African-Languages-144875665.html#.T3a7VYkspFg.facebook

The same dude that remarked that broadband speed in Nigeria beats that of NY City. shocked Why on earth should any rational being take this dude comment serious? Either he is is delusional or he puffed high dose of Ondo sh1t. Yet some tribalist are falling for it. SMH
Re: Yoruba The Most Popular African Language On Wikipedia - Jimmy Wales Co-Founder by Nobody: 1:17am On Apr 02, 2012
alj harem:

Really it is no longer about yoruba but the thought pattern of some Nigerians

Then focus on some Nigerians, not Yorubas.

Igbos are looking for attention, like the imbe cile above me. Pay attention to them.
Re: Yoruba The Most Popular African Language On Wikipedia - Jimmy Wales Co-Founder by Nobody: 7:20am On Apr 02, 2012
Vergil:

Think the point alj_hareem is trying to pass across is...
Imagine this...the example he gave, that involved a girl he knew.

In the north, in a market. None of the sellers (local village sellers) speak english, which is believable. Since u've been to the north before, u'd know this happens.
As a nigerian and not a foreigner, would you walk away and rather shop in a super market like a foreigner or at least try to reason with them and learn something?
Thanks for putting your words across like a civilized being.
that dundee wasn't getting my drift, and he obviously didn't read my post properly before typing his trash.
Like I said in my first post, Popularity doesn't equate quality or being the best and that's what I was really attacking.
The sample conversation on the other hand was meant to point out a certain attitude I have noticed in my time out here.
Where I grew up no one made a fuss if u could speak the local dialect or not.. Its totally up to you to learn or not. If you think it would boost your chances then by all means learn if not its totally ur choice.
But out here I have practically been asked why I am yet to learn yoruba, they go on as if its the alpha and omega of languages. I remember when we got to abeokuta, a friend of mine initially got rejected because she didn't greet the woman in yoruba, in a govt office where English was meant to be the official language.
learning another mans language is no doubt a survival skill, especially when u live there, but when people start taking it personal, u begin to ask yourself if these people actually went to school. Education is meant to broaden our mind and ways of thinking,
Honestly I wouldn't even be perturbed if I had been posted to a village and noticed, this, but in a state capital, it just makes me laugh.
If I get into an environment, and I discover that I need to learn their language for survival, I would damn well do it.
But as for now its not neccessary to me and that's how its gonna be.
My point all day has been, people should not look at others as stoopid because they refuse to learn a particular language. Neither should another claim to be the best on the ground that his language is more spoken than others.
and I still maintain some of these yoruba guys especially the one above, need to change their mentality.
there is absolutely nothing wrong if someone at a given point and place refuses to learn a particular language.

and imagine him calling yoruba a nation, the guy stinks of tribalism, so am not suprised at his school of thought. People dey go school u self carry book run go, come here they reason with I'm yansh.
Bigot.

Am still waiting to here what u people have achieved that others are yet to achieve, that made your brother to say they are the best.
Re: Yoruba The Most Popular African Language On Wikipedia - Jimmy Wales Co-Founder by igboboy1(m): 7:35am On Apr 02, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

Then focus on some Nigerians, not Yorubas.

Igbos are looking for attention, like the imbe cile above me. Pay attention to them.

igbo leaders are not the one throwing $1bilion birthday parties (like tinubu who is clearly seeking attention)...so please if u have problem with al harem commenting on yoruba issues two of you should deal with it, hapu ndi igbo out of it...
Re: Yoruba The Most Popular African Language On Wikipedia - Jimmy Wales Co-Founder by emsquare(m): 7:41am On Apr 02, 2012
Just grab wat he is saying!

suwailad: this boy lacks good comprehension skills. can someone tell him when wikipedia became africa. olodostein
Re: Yoruba The Most Popular African Language On Wikipedia - Jimmy Wales Co-Founder by rhymz(m): 8:05am On Apr 02, 2012
Hahahahah. . .the man that made such a wild claim must have been high on Amala flour when he made such a baseless claim.
Yoruba language is popular no doubt but on the fringes in those south American countries listed including african countries as well. Let's be honest, the only place where Yoruba has such notoriety is in the southwest. Compared to a Language like Hausa or Swahili, yoruba popularity pales into oblivion. Let's not start calling all the South American countries with a handful of Yoruba population yoruba speaking state, that is a very dumb exaggeration, such attempt is desperate. No tribe in Nigeria loves their language more than the Hausas, you need to be in the north to understand what I am saying. Countries like Niger republic, senegal, mali, chad, Ghana, burkina faso, Togo, cote d'iviore, sudan and cameroun have very visible hausa populations that do not just speak the language but are indigenous to these places. Am not gisting about a made up number or exaggerated population here o.
If there is one thing I know Yorubas do very well, it is neo-propagander and info-embelishment, prolly cos they control the media. If I were not a Nigerian, l would have thought the whole of Nigeria is Yorubaland the way they bring up yoruba in every discussion. Na wa o...lol
Re: Yoruba The Most Popular African Language On Wikipedia - Jimmy Wales Co-Founder by Ufeolorun(m): 8:09am On Apr 02, 2012
Kingsleyinfo:
that dundee wasn't getting my drift, and he obviously didn't read my post properly before typing his trash.
Like I said in my first post, Popularity doesn't equate quality or being the best and that's what I was really attacking.
The sample conversation on the other hand was meant to point out a certain attitude I have noticed in my time out here.
Where I grew up no one made a fuss if u could speak the local dialect or not.. Its totally up to you to learn or not. If you think it would boost your chances then by all means learn if not its totally ur choice.
But out here I have practically been asked why I am yet to learn yoruba, they go on as if its the alpha and omega of languages. I remember when we got to abeokuta, a friend of mine initially got rejected because she didn't greet the woman in yoruba, in a govt office where English was meant to be the official language.
learning another mans language is no doubt a survival skill, especially when u live there, but when people start taking it personal, u begin to ask yourself if these people actually went to school. Education is meant to broaden our mind and ways of thinking,
Honestly I wouldn't even be perturbed if I had been posted to a village and noticed, this, but in a state capital, it just makes me laugh.
If I get into an environment, and I discover that I need to learn their language for survival, I would damn well do it.
My point all day has been, people should not look at others as stoopid because they refuse to learn a particular language. Neither should another claim to be the best on the ground that his language is more spoken than others.
and I still maintain some of these yoruba guys especially the one above, need to change their mentality.
there is absolutely nothing wrong if someone at a given point and place refuses to learn a particular language.

and imagine him calling yoruba a nation, the guy stinks of tribalism, so am not suprised at his school of thought. People dey go school u self carry book run go, come here they reason with I'm yansh.
Bigot.

Am still waiting to here what u people have achieved that others are yet to achieve, that made your brother to say they are the best.

Na wa oh you've been going on and on,you sure have issues to work out with folks in Abeokuta. Don't worry it's just few months and you will never have to deal with those closed minded 'bigots' who feel you ought to learn their language,something 'unimaginable'.
NB. folks in Abeokuta will never stop expecting people who come to town for a while to speak their language though.
Yoruba nation is very much correct,its not official but you have seen it. Sir,here in England despite studying at a postgrad level,I was asked to go do english test to extend my stay and I complied though I felt denigrated.
Nigeria is a big country and some people have a very strong sense of cultural conciuosness that cannot be subsumed by Nigerianess that's why we have a federal system,at least in the books.
I know folks in Abeokuta respect your right so feel free.
Re: Yoruba The Most Popular African Language On Wikipedia - Jimmy Wales Co-Founder by ekwynwa1: 8:42am On Apr 02, 2012
igbo boy:

igbo leaders are not the one throwing $1bilion birthday parties (like tinubu who is clearly seeking attention)...so please if u have problem with al harem commenting on yoruba issues two of you should deal with it, hapu ndi igbo out of it...

forget that old hag,agadi nwanyi.
Re: Yoruba The Most Popular African Language On Wikipedia - Jimmy Wales Co-Founder by rhymz(m): 8:43am On Apr 02, 2012
Kingsleyinfo:

Bigot.

kingsdley, obviously you are new here else you would have seen the futility in arguing or replying that bigot suffering from split personality disorder who calls himself Aljaharm or watever d 4ck he calls himself these days. First of all, nigga is very dishonest with his intentions, he is hausa but loves to cross Igbos against Yorubas, that is how the fool gets his self-esteem. One minute he is yoruba the next minute he is Igbo and in another he is Kanuri. His argument are usually very alien to the main topic, always skewed to make igobs look bad yoruba feel goodm at times when he needs igbo support, you see him swing the other way round like a homo that he is. No nairalander that has been here long enough to know the goon takes him seriously, it is folly to argue with such a personm he thinks he is cunning but his lack of analytical skills and finesse usually betray his true intentions- i.e to see southern tribes curse out eachother on the net. I treat him and his dumb argument like a plague, I don't read his gibberish, I skip em and when he quotes me, I take him to the cleaners. You should do thesame bro.
Re: Yoruba The Most Popular African Language On Wikipedia - Jimmy Wales Co-Founder by Okijajuju1(m): 9:29am On Apr 02, 2012
How is a language that pronounces

How as 'aow",

Ask - Hask
Re: Yoruba The Most Popular African Language On Wikipedia - Jimmy Wales Co-Founder by Nobody: 9:31am On Apr 02, 2012
alj harem:

LOL grin grin grin smiley thanks for the correction

I've always followed your posts - I'm glad you found humor in my post unlike the E.diot that posted below you.

LOL!
Re: Yoruba The Most Popular African Language On Wikipedia - Jimmy Wales Co-Founder by Nobody: 9:36am On Apr 02, 2012
metaldude: Nigerians!Always spotting flaws in people's post.Guess you are the definition of perfection,right?

I'm far from 'perfect' but Welsh/Welish? Kilode? Alhj Harem didn't sleep on P and I wonder why you have to.

K'oshi jare. I'm reading better write-ups on the website.
Re: Yoruba The Most Popular African Language On Wikipedia - Jimmy Wales Co-Founder by Nobody: 12:51pm On Apr 02, 2012
There are several languages and yoruba is one of the known language that is being thought in other countries,precisely some developed countries and recognized by most people.Even the yoruba culture is being emulated by some tribes.....there are other languages too...so to say.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba The Most Popular African Language On Wikipedia - Jimmy Wales Co-Founder by coolestboy(m): 12:51pm On Apr 02, 2012
Nonybb: who cares, next topic pls mtcheww Yoruba
u dey vex? abeg, go die
Re: Yoruba The Most Popular African Language On Wikipedia - Jimmy Wales Co-Founder by aljharem(m): 1:06pm On Apr 02, 2012
rhymz: Hahahahah. . .the man that made such a wild claim must have been high on Amala flour when he made such a baseless claim.
Yoruba language is popular no doubt but on the fringes in those south American countries listed including african countries as well. Let's be honest, the only place where Yoruba has such notoriety is in the southwest. Compared to a Language like Hausa or Swahili, yoruba popularity pales into oblivion. Let's not start calling all the South American countries with a handful of Yoruba population yoruba speaking state, that is a very dumb exaggeration, such attempt is desperate. No tribe in Nigeria loves their language more than the Hausas, you need to be in the north to understand what I am saying. Countries like Niger republic, senegal, mali, chad, Ghana, burkina faso, Togo, cote d'iviore, sudan and cameroun have very visible hausa populations that do not just speak the language but are indigenous to these places. Am not gisting about a made up number or exaggerated population here o.
If there is one thing I know Yorubas do very well, it is neo-propagander and info-embelishment, prolly cos they control the media. If I were not a Nigerian, l would have thought the whole of Nigeria is Yorubaland the way they bring up yoruba in every discussion. Na wa o...lol

So Jimmy Wales is yoruba now ?

Or maybe the Yoruba people have paid Jimmy Wales ? rhymes you a product of Uniben, talking like an illiterate /
Re: Yoruba The Most Popular African Language On Wikipedia - Jimmy Wales Co-Founder by Nobody: 1:30pm On Apr 02, 2012
rhymz: Hahahahah. . .the man that made such a wild claim must have been high on Amala flour when he made such a baseless claim.

We all thank God that he wasnt high on apku. Lawd have mercy!!!
Re: Yoruba The Most Popular African Language On Wikipedia - Jimmy Wales Co-Founder by rhymz(m): 2:55pm On Apr 02, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

We all thank God that he wasnt high on apku. Lawd have mercy!!!
yeah, thank God, he prolly would have said Igbo was spoken even in the animal kingdom and amongst Aliens in planet Jupita.
Grow up hag, the man said that stuff to for marketing effect and not a statement of fact. Like seriously, how many brazilians, trinidadians, togolese, "benians" and co actively speak yoruba language as opposed? Imagine some rughead claiming Yoruba is popular because it is taught in schools outside of Nigeria, bullocks!! The last time I checked, you could learn Igbo as well in schools in the US and europe, that does not make Igbo popular than my grey hair.
Just because Nigerians who are of Yoruba origins leaving in the US and UK in particular speak Yoruba language does not equate to it being the most popular everywhere you go in these countries and regions. Yoruba is not even the next most spoken language after the generally accepted language in these contries and regions, so I wonder where our professor wiki got his junk authority from, prolly from the nonsense people write on his open source and editable wikigibberish. Wo unto you that look unto wiki for real facts...lol...lookin at wiki for facts is like asking for a virgin prostitute at a brothel...lol..you sure will get a made up one.
Re: Yoruba The Most Popular African Language On Wikipedia - Jimmy Wales Co-Founder by Sike(m): 6:31pm On Apr 02, 2012
Yoruba! A lenu daku.
Re: Yoruba The Most Popular African Language On Wikipedia - Jimmy Wales Co-Founder by Nobody: 8:43pm On Apr 02, 2012
Ufeolorun:
Na wa oh you've been going on and on,you sure have issues to work out with folks in Abeokuta. Don't worry it's just few months and you will never have to deal with those closed minded 'bigots' who feel you ought to learn their language,something 'unimaginable'.
NB. folks in Abeokuta will never stop expecting people who come to town for a while to speak their language though.
Yoruba nation is very much correct,its not official but you have seen it. Sir,here in England despite studying at a postgrad level,I was asked to go do english test to extend my stay and I complied though I felt denigrated.
Nigeria is a big country and some people have a very strong sense of cultural conciuosness that cannot be subsumed by Nigerianess that's why we have a federal system,at least in the books.
I know folks in Abeokuta respect your right so feel free.
Thanks for getting what am talking about.
Out here I find the language fun to listen to, and I am definetely not against anyone speaking it, but when people start asking me questions, and looking at me as if I committed a crime, just because I don't want to learn their language, goddamit I will give them a piece of my mind.
I believe attitude is everything, and I try to treat people with respect. And that has helped me a lot out here.

All the same, its a free world and people are entitled to their opinion. So let's all live with love and tolerance for one another.
simples.......
Re: Yoruba The Most Popular African Language On Wikipedia - Jimmy Wales Co-Founder by amosy007: 12:16am On Apr 03, 2012
Kingsleyinfo:
come o u dis okoro..
can u pls highlight where I said someone forced or was forcing me? Pls get ür facts straight or better still, go grow a brain and use it to reason properly.
I dared him to try forcing me, is English so hard for you to understand.
Now last time I checked, Wales was part of the united kingdom, and the official language for the UK was and is still English. Does that answer ür question?
And I would say this for the last time, I DO NOT HAVE A PROBLEM WITH YORUBA LANGUAGE. But I definetely have a problem with, shallow brains like yours, that reason upside down.
And here is a question I asked that u have carefully avoided, if yoruba is widely spoken around Africa, does that make their language or culture the best? Am waiting because seriously if u had read my first post and my second sentence or thereabouts you would have noticed that my problem is with your thinking methodology.
I reserve the right to learn or not to learn a language, nobody for whatever reason can tell me otherwise.

I schooled in esan land, and I didn't ever here anybody openly tell me or ask why I was yet to understand esan, not even my friends who were esan. I went to the market and mixed up very well. Out here in ogun, if I communicate to u in English and u reply me in yoruba I simply walk away and go to the next store, I don't give a hoot what u think.
Imagine one teacher I met telling me that because I could not hear yoruba she wasn't gonna communicate in english with me, like I gave a rats arsse about what she wanted to say.
Bro I have got more self esteem than ür entire family can muster.... It is u who need to check ür domineering attitude and need for acceptance.
I like the kind life when I dey live now.
If I want to learn yoruba it will be out of love for the language, not because of what fish brains like you think.
see as he is taking the language matter very serious like say na shell employ am.
Guy abeg make u go kiss crase I nor get time to play kpankpangolo with u.
I am enjoying my time here... And get it I DIDN'T EVEN NEED TO LEARN THE LANGUAGE. So what's ür problem....
I have met some sound yoruba guys and gals but u are one of the very idiootic things that disgust me.
Go get a life jare and stop being a damn tribalistic bigot.

lol my guy this one u post is sensless o sorry to say... In as much as i dnt wana comment on any tribal or language thingy... Buh this post is stup.idly funny....u said u went to market in ogun and u expect the market women to speak english to u... Thats stupid thin to say... Is like a chinese man that goes to hausa land and expect that the hausa people speak chinese to him b4 he buy sumtin... Or a french woman that goes to japannese store and expect everyone there to speak french to her (either she learn basic japanese or she can go to hell and buy whateva she want there).... Guy no dey post this kind rubbish thing for public forum again o... So not ryt for a claimed educated man... No offense

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba The Most Popular African Language On Wikipedia - Jimmy Wales Co-Founder by aljharem(m): 1:25pm On Apr 03, 2012
amosy007:

lol my guy this one u post is sensless o sorry to say... In as much as i dnt wana comment on any tribal or language thingy... Buh this post is stup.idly funny....u said u went to market in ogun and u expect the market women to speak english to u... Thats stupid thin to say... Is like a chinese man that goes to hausa land and expect that the hausa people speak chinese to him b4 he buy sumtin... Or a french woman that goes to japannese store and expect everyone there to speak french to her (either she learn basic japanese or she can go to hell and buy whateva she want there).... Guy no dey post this kind rubbish thing for public forum again o... So not ryt for a claimed educated man... No offense

Thank you my brother. You know Nigerian Universities produce a lot of half-baked graduates that is why you see someone like Kingsleyinfo displaying his stu.pididty here.

I have tried to correct him and even gave him examples but as a typical Nigerian, they never accept correction or admit they are wrong.

He went to a Ogun state and expected people to be speaking English to him ? That is how retar.ded our educational sector have made people like the kingsley to be.

The man is a complete waste of time.
Re: Yoruba The Most Popular African Language On Wikipedia - Jimmy Wales Co-Founder by Nobody: 8:57am On Apr 04, 2012
amosy007:

you are a different type of fo.ol altogether... obviously wrapping ür head round anyhing not typed or spoken in yoruba is definetely a huge problem for u.
If u had any sort of analytical thinking skills u would have realised that I have consistently made one point, obviously u didn't read my previous post. and please o kindly point out where I said I expect them to speak in yoruba, or did u hear I quarreled with someone because he spoke yoruba to me? How can people be this biased and yet claim to be educated?
As for your example, here is one for you also. Assuming you as a yoruba man who doesn't understand English, wishes to travel to south Africa where english happens to be the official language, Would you rather learn English or Zulu? Or did it occur to u in anyway that most peeps out here understand English as well as yoruba? So when I ask to buy something with English from a market woman, and she replies in yoruba doesn't common sense requires that I find another seller who understands English? Of which there are many by the way. How can someone be using bodmas to give an example in Calculus, u sure say u even go school?
The basic principle of communication is to speak and be understood, not heared. So if myself and a certain yoruba fellow understands English, what stops us from conversing in same. And get this into your thick skull, I didn't say I expect, I said people expect me, and that statement wasn't made out of sentiments, it was made out of questions I have been asked by yoruba speeking peeps over my stay here. I have never asked any yoruba man why he likes speaking yoruba, so no damn fo.ol like yourself who reasons with his anus should ask me why I choose to converse in English.
Its a free world bro so go figure.

And as for that bigot with the brain of a fish and hands like that of a leper, I believe u know by now that u are a very stoo.pid fellow. and if ür type of reasoning is common to those who schooled abroad, then I would prefer Nigerian schools anyday....
Person wen dey call pesin half bake never know wether I'm go even enter oven talkless of to be quarter baked. Akpa.

now I am really seeing the reason why companies demand excellent communication skills from their prospective employees, its due to these two goats... Who think they are rams... Split personality indeed...lol
Re: Yoruba The Most Popular African Language On Wikipedia - Jimmy Wales Co-Founder by aljharem(m): 9:51am On Apr 04, 2012
Kingsleyinfo:
you are a different type of fo.ol altogether... obviously wrapping ür head round anyhing not typed or spoken in yoruba is definetely a huge problem for u.
If u had any sort of analytical thinking skills u would have realised that I have consistently made one point, obviously u didn't read my previous post. and please o kindly point out where I said I expect them to speak in yoruba, or did u hear I quarreled with someone because he spoke yoruba to me? How can people be this biased and yet claim to be educated?
As for your example, here is one for you also. Assuming you as a yoruba man who doesn't understand English, wishes to travel to south Africa where english happens to be the official language, Would you rather learn English or Zulu? Or did it occur to u in anyway that most peeps out here understand English as well as yoruba? So when I ask to buy something with English from a market woman, and she replies in yoruba doesn't common sense requires that I find another seller who understands English? Of which there are many by the way. How can someone be using bodmas to give an example in Calculus, u sure say u even go school?
The basic principle of communication is to speak and be understood, not heared. So if myself and a certain yoruba fellow understands English, what stops us from conversing in same. And get this into your thick skull, I didn't say I expect, I said people expect me, and that statement wasn't made out of sentiments, it was made out of questions I have been asked by yoruba speeking peeps over my stay here. I have never asked any yoruba man why he likes speaking yoruba, so no damn fo.ol like yourself who reasons with his anus should ask me why I choose to converse in English.
Its a free world bro so go figure.

And as for that bigot with the brain of a fish and hands like that of a leper, I believe u know by now that u are a very stoo.pid fellow. and if ür type of reasoning is common to those who schooled abroad, then I would prefer Nigerian schools anyday....
Person wen dey call pesin half bake never know wether I'm go even enter oven talkless of to be quarter baked. Akpa.

now I am really seeing the reason why companies demand excellent communication skills from their prospective employees, its due to these two goats... Who think they are rams... Split personality indeed...lol

I wanted to leave this thread so the world can see your folly but I just one last thing to say.

I see where you are coming from so you are not the one to complain of communication skills here unless you mean something completely different from what you are saying.

You asked a question about some elements on this thread saying some outrageous statement and I agree with you on. Moreover why are you taking such statement serious ? That was why I said you displayed pure inferiority complex.

Secondly, you said you were talking to your friend and he asked you to learn the language in the environment you are living in right ? Is he not your friend ? If you were in Taraba or Anambra would he (your friend) still ask you to learn yoruba ? Yes or No ? Be honest with yourself.

Now I was telling you that your friend was simply looking out for you since you are severing in Ogun state and not your own state of comfort. I am sure he wasn't and would never force you unless you want to exaggerate things here.

Imagine if I should go to bayelsa state and My friend as me to learn Ijaw language (which is the sensible thing to do). Would I simply say No or would I say No and come on Nairaland whining about it ?

Yes sir that was what you did here. I do not know your friend but the picture you painted of your friend is nothing rather than a Bigot if he actually did what you are saying here.

I cannot Imagine myself asking my friend to learn a language for his own survival or even as trivial as just because we are friends, then my friend said No (which is alright) but also comes of a public forum and whines about it. It is betrayal of friendship I must say.

So sir Kingsley, you have no point here but it would have been a completely different case of your friend was forcing you but he asked thus your point has been trashed out.

Anyway good luck.
Re: Yoruba The Most Popular African Language On Wikipedia - Jimmy Wales Co-Founder by debankss(m): 11:14am On Sep 26, 2012
Get Yoruba language culture and proverbs. Like the Owe Ede Yoruba page on Facebook.com/OweEdeYoruba. Over 20,000 likes and counting.

Cheers.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

King Don Come. Get All Your PHP Script Here And Get Amazing GIFTS. Enter / Someone Is Trying To Hack My Blog, What Do I Do? / Fact File: See How The Seven Keys Of The Internet Work - Naijatechguy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 151
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.