Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,485 members, 7,770,182 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 06:52 AM

Re-introducing Northern Nigeria: Not As You Know It By Mark Amaza - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Re-introducing Northern Nigeria: Not As You Know It By Mark Amaza (2502 Views)

Inaccurate View Of The North By Southern Nigerians - Mark Amaza / #intelopinion: When Oversight Becomes A Problem – Mark Amaza / Mark Amaza: Keeping Nigeria’s New Power Bloc Happy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re-introducing Northern Nigeria: Not As You Know It By Mark Amaza by emiye(m): 9:34pm On Apr 01, 2012
RE-INTRODUCING NORTHERN NIGERIA: NOT AS YOU KNOW IT
By Mark Amaza
http://markamaza./2011/...s-you-know-it/

I am writing this article mainly for the benefit of Southern Nigerians who have never been to the North, and mostly have a warped and inaccurate view of the North. I have been driven to write this out of my many personal experiences, and those of friends and family, as has been shared with me. This is mainly an educative piece about what Northern Nigeria is in reality; a complete, holistic picture of this region.
To make this piece a simple read and easy-to-follow, I am going to write it around 5 common perceptions about the North and
 debunk them:

Religious Perception: The general belief held by most Southerners about the North is that the region is not just mainly Muslim, but wholly Muslim. Whenever I meet someone from the South and introduce myself, I am correctly placed as a Christian. But once I am asked my state and I say Borno State, the next question becomes, ‘Are you a Muslim?’ This is despite my name being a very common Biblical name, Mark, which is the second Gospel. Matter of fact, I have been asked that question while attending a church programme, with a Bible conspicuously held in my hands. You could imagine my surprise at that question. This has also been the experience of a lot of friends with common names such as ‘Emmanuel’, ‘Daniel’, etc.
To start with, out of the 19 Northern states, at least 5 have a majority Christian population: Plateau, Adamawa, Nassarawa, Taraba and Benue. At least 6 more have at least 40% Christian population. These states include Niger, Gombe, Kaduna, Kogi, Kwara and either Borno or Bauchi. That then leaves only Kano, Kebbi, Katsina, Jigawa, Sokoto, Yobe and Zamfara as having Muslim populations above 60%. How then are we all seen as Muslims?
This misconception could be excused when the person has an Arabic name, as there are many Northern Christians who bear names such as Jamila, Habiba, Halima, Sadiq, and Yunusa and so on. But when the person has an obvious Christian name and is even attends church services, you really begin to wonder.

Ethnic Perception: Another common perception of the North is that we are all Hausa. My usual response to this is to borrow the logical argument of Simon Kolawole, the Editor-in-Chief of THISDay Newspapers. In an article in which he attempted to educate his largely Southern readership base about the North, he went thus:
“If out of the estimated 250 tribes in Nigeria, we can say that the South-West is mainly Yoruba with a few other tribes around Badagry area, the South-East wholly Igbo and the South-South being most diverse in the South with about 40 tribes, that still leaves the remaining 200 tribes in the North.”
How then are we reduced to one single ethnic group, Hausa? It is only the North-West that is close to being homogenous, mainly Hausa and Fulani, but with still some minority tribes in the Zuru area of Kebbi State and the multi-diverse Southern Kaduna. The North-East and North-Central is filled with tribes, many of whom I have never even heard of. For example, Adamawa State is so diverse that the largest ethnic group, the Fulani, is just 3% of the entire population. In my home state of Borno, there is a local government so diverse that from one village to another, you are likely to meet an entirely different ethnic group. The number of tribes there are so many that we just address the people as ‘Gwoza people’, after the name of the local government.
Even though we all speak Hausa as a lingua franca in order to communicate amongst ourselves as trading partners over the centuries, that doesn’t make us Hausa people as much as communicating English doesn’t make you and I English people. As a matter of fact, in the North-East, Hausa people are a minority and virtually non-existent in the North-Central region.

Intellectual Beliefs: Now, this is one belief that whenever I am confronted with, it takes me a great deal of self-control not to flip out and lose my temper. Times without number, when I tell people I am from Borno State, I am asked how come I speak such good English. What the hell? What am I supposed to speak? Arabic? The general expectation is that someone from the North is not supposed to be this learned, this well-spoken and articulate in English, this knowledgeable. I remember when a friend asked me if my mother went to school, and the surprised look on his face when I told him that my mum earned her masters’ degree over 20 years ago. There was also a time when my dad met someone at the Lagos International Airport and they got talking. When my dad told him his profession, the man, in a fit of surprise, exclaimed, ‘I didn’t know that there were professors in the North’.
I admit the fact that the North lags behind the South educationally, especially the North-West and the North-East. But this is not due to our inability to comprehend what we are being taught, but rather due to the incompetence of leadership in the region to give education its premium importance as a form of human development. We, like every other human being on the face of this earth, can excel when given the opportunity. Talent and intellect abounds everywhere. Opportunity, however, does not. I personally know of many Northerners who have excelled nationally and internationally. Daily, the story of young men like Ahmed Mukoshy, who is born, bred and schooled in Sokoto, and yet, rose above his environment to become one of the emerging forces in IT in this country in his early 20s inspires me. This is just one example among many that I could cite but for the lack of space.
I find it outright disgusting whenever people claim that if not for federal character and ‘zoning’, no Northerner would be able to compete in this country. Last week, I was shocked when a friend said only 10% of Northerners in the Federal Civil Service deserved their places on merit, and went on to add that if he had not known me personally and I were to get a job with the Federal Government, he would believe that I did not earn it on merit. The most ridiculous one I encountered was when earlier this year, former Minister of Finance, Dr Mansur Mukhtar was appointed a World Bank director. Most of the commentators on the 234Next article announcing this achievement for this Nigerian and Nigeria made the ludicrous assertion that the appointment was done to please the North, that Dr Mukhtar did not merit it. Little did they know that Dr Mukhtar had worked at the World Bank and the African Development Bank, prior to his heading Nigeria’s Budget Office on the invitation of the then and present Minister of Finance, Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala and former World Bank Managing Director, who also recommended him for the post of Finance Minister when she rejected former President Umaru Yar’adua’s invitation to join his government. What is even worse is that they did not care to know: their minds were already made up and could not be confused with the facts.
Geo-Political Beliefs: Another common belief among Southerners and most especially spread by Southern newspapers is that the entire 19 Northern states act and think as one when it comes to issues of Northern politics. This is one of the biggest untruths about the North. Whenever Northern Nigeria is mentioned, the people of Benue, Kogi and Kwara states do not feel it refers to them. Geographically, they are part of the North; politically, however, they and the entire Middle-Belt act independently. This can be clearly in the last elections where President Goodluck Jonathan won in 7 Northern states, even against his strongest opponent, General Muhammadu Buhari, who is a Northerner. This was something I am sure a lot of people in the South, save for the political savvy, did not see coming.
One common sight of this perception being entrenched by newspapers is when politicians of Northern extraction speak on national issues. I have innumerably seen a washed-out Northern politician, without any influence or popularity speak regarding an issue, and the next day, newspapers carry bold headlines saying, ‘North rejects this’ or ‘North plans to do that’, quoting the same washed-out politician as speaking for the entire North. I have rarely seen a Bola Tinubu speaking and being quoted as the mouthpiece of the entire Yoruba ethnic group, or a Chief Edwin Clark for the Ijaw people. Methinks this is a way of selling newspapers by capitalizing on the image of the North as one single, political force which moves in a particular direction all-together
Cultural/Social/Economic Belief: Admittedly, as people of the same region, we share a lot in common culturally and socially in the general terms: our mannerisms, modes of dressing, traditional titles (apart from paramount rulers with the exception of emirates), etc. Despite that, the Jukun in Taraba and the Kataf in Kaduna are very different in the specifics, as even the Bura and Marghi people of Borno/Adamawa States. To pick the attitude of one ethnic group in the North and attach it to all the others, is to put it mildly, a very short-sighted way of knowing and understanding the people of Northern Nigeria.

Another belief in the South is that the entire North is but an empty land mass with nothing but trees. I remember the controversy of the 2006 census when Kano State was said to have a slightly higher population than Lagos State. Many of my Southern friends called it ‘an impossibility’. In the words of one of them, ‘Lagos is so populated that when you throw grains of rice into the air, they wouldn’t land on the ground, but on people’. However, they all forgot to factor in land mass, because Lagos State is a much smaller state than Kano State, and hence has the highest population density in Nigeria, hence making it look as though it was way more populated.
There are cities in the North that have been thriving economically, such as Kano and Kaduna. As a matter of fact, Kaduna State was adjudged by the World Bank in the year 2009 as the best place to do business.

Lastly, the most retrogressive belief about the North in the South is that the entire North is a hotbed for violence. As much as we have had more than our fair share of ethno-religious violence, there are many states that have never experienced one, including states such as Zamfara, and others as Nassarawa and Benue.
I have not written this as a criticism of the people of Southern Nigeria, but rather, in the hope that this will be an enlightenment of the South about the North. It amazes me when I see that despite the fact that we have been a country for almost a century, yet, a lot of people down South know little or nothing about their fellow Nigerians in the North, but know about Europe and America.

I have also realized that we as Northerners have allowed others to say our story for ourselves, hence have given it distortions, deletion and generalizations. What has happened over time is what the writer Chimamanda Adichie, in her TED talk in March 2009, at Oxford, England, describes as ‘the danger of the single story’, where a single story of the North as a region of poor, illiterate, lazy, Hausa Muslims who do nothing but connive to lord over this country politically and kill Southerners’ has been repeated so much that it is seen as the truth. This is the kind of stuff that creates stereotyping, which in her words, ‘not that it is untrue, but that it is incomplete’.
This is one reason I still see the significance of our NYSC scheme, choked with problems as it may be. We need to know each other more. Let us override this stereotypical mind-set and seek to learn about each other with open minds and seek the complete story that gives a holistic picture of our country.
Re: Re-introducing Northern Nigeria: Not As You Know It By Mark Amaza by Nobody: 9:56pm On Apr 01, 2012
good write up, most people tend to follow what they grow up believing. there is a lot of ignorance being displayed around even here on nairaland where you have the likes of "dede1" who will tell you that there is islamic/hausa/fulani influence in benue and they're indigeneous fulani people in benue.
i've come to discover that most of the contributors on nairaland have never left their locality or at most travelled within their zones. that is why you find some one here arguing blindly and using wikipedia or one silly online write up as reference.
Re: Re-introducing Northern Nigeria: Not As You Know It By Mark Amaza by Yeske2(m): 10:46pm On Apr 01, 2012
Cool write-up but the case of the south believing the north is crisis prone is true abeg.

1 Like

Re: Re-introducing Northern Nigeria: Not As You Know It By Mark Amaza by Agrika: 11:28pm On Apr 01, 2012
@ poster i commend you on your efforts to redeem the image of the north but i most tell you i dont totally support you. You see im a southerner living in the north precisely kano and for some reasons unknown to me i cant seem to comprehend while some people would be so bloodthirsty and wicked. The hatred here is so intense you can feel it in the air, i can just comprehend why some people can be so hateful and hypocrital. I have experienced countless bloody riots in kano almost every 2 years except until recent times where peace seems to reign for now.
The people are so wicked even unto to themselves, i mean take a trip to the outskirts of kano and you could simply cry at the condition the so called maguzawas a.k.a hausa christians living there. The state Government delibrately deny them scholarships and university admitions and social amenities simply because of thier faith.
You mentioned areas like Kano,kaduna e.t.c having large populations due to the last census results, i can confidently tell you that just like lagos a significant percentage of that population are composed of 'strangers' a.k.a southerners.
So my advice to my fellow southerners is that they should not paint a whole region black due to the activities being carried out by a particular tribe HAUSA/FULANI because after all that is said and done they are good,peaceful and hardworking people up there in the north
Re: Re-introducing Northern Nigeria: Not As You Know It By Mark Amaza by Callotti: 5:43am On Apr 02, 2012
Well-written!
Give me the North and the Northerner any day, any time!
The best tribe in Nigeria. Too bad they can't keep foreign riff-raffs from Chad and Niger Republics out of the North!
Re: Re-introducing Northern Nigeria: Not As You Know It By Mark Amaza by emmke(m): 6:44am On Apr 02, 2012
it just has to be said, most southerners are completely ignorant of what the north is. U can see it daily on nl. P.S i've been to some cities in the south. The piece written above is the north. Read and educate yourselves, instead spewing ignorance daily on nl.
Re: Re-introducing Northern Nigeria: Not As You Know It By Mark Amaza by Nobody: 7:39am On Apr 02, 2012
During my NYSC in the Plateau, we saw a Plateau boy and asked him: you are an hausa boy? The boy looked at us with a very bad eye and replied in pidgin, 'me I no be hausa o!' we all laughed and said the boy was confused, only for us to realise latter that we were actually the confused ones!
But you can't blame a typical southerners for their stance on the north, a whiteman in the US will take the same position from what he reads and watch on TV!
Re: Re-introducing Northern Nigeria: Not As You Know It By Mark Amaza by donguutti: 11:09am On Apr 02, 2012
nice write up
as one who served also in plateau nd spent a lot of time in gombe, bauchi,southern KD, adamawa.i would say ur conclusions
are 60% tenable.but the main thrust of the "northern generalization" is that the north sees itself or wants to be seen as
a homogeneous zone, there are 3 geo political zones up north, you never here of North west GOV forum, North central Gov forum,
etc,unlike the south. its just the northern gov forum.
SO if u say there are different tribes and nobody gets to see or hear about them then they "dont exist",no jukun, kataf ,
idoma, berom,tarok, michika,nupe pressure groups unlike the those of the south.
on the religious angle , the discrimination against indigenous northern Xtians is alarming, a visit to Gombe town would almost
convince you that its a 90% muslim city , which is not true

lets leave the population issue aside, we know how that is done

hotbed for violence, the north has been a hot bed since 1956.
leave NYSC out of it,have u forgotten the corpers who died in bauchi, i nd some friends were almost killed in nassarawa gwom and bukuru on different occassion,
would any sane person risk death just to " Experience the North", so as u can see the problem is not us but YOU- Northerners

1 Like

Re: Re-introducing Northern Nigeria: Not As You Know It By Mark Amaza by Ejine(m): 11:13am On Apr 02, 2012
tl;dr
Re: Re-introducing Northern Nigeria: Not As You Know It By Mark Amaza by oiseworld: 2:59pm On Apr 02, 2012
thanks ojare @donguutti,

@op if i may ask, do the northerner have anything you want to hide or protect? Down south you leave in colonies as if you have an evil plan and this is because you actually think you are born to rule, so you see your self as special and superior. You fear that if you mix up you might just loose the northerner in you and become western or christian due to the power of christianity.
so why don't you people expecially the muslims mix up? you are more resident in the country order than travell out side and see the world and the way things are done like the yorubas igbo's and niger deltan's who are scattered across the world.All they do is sit up north and see the south as their footstool.

the aggresion against the north is more of the born to rule mentality.
Re: Re-introducing Northern Nigeria: Not As You Know It By Mark Amaza by ektbear: 3:59pm On Apr 02, 2012
Eh. Most of the stereotypes he says are largely true. Just that they don't apply to the so-called Middle Belt, but rather to the so-called "core North."
Re: Re-introducing Northern Nigeria: Not As You Know It By Mark Amaza by Dede1(m): 5:19pm On Apr 02, 2012
@OP

The writer of the posted article is one of the major reasons the northern region is wrongly considered mostly Islamic or totally uneducated on Judo-Christianity doctrine. What has the writer and people in his mold done to change the archaic altitude of Mohammedans from the northern region of Nigeria?

When Islamic youths on the influence “khat” go on useless rampage of wanton destruction of goods and human lives in northern region, where are the likes of Mark Amaza from northern region? In most case, the jackasses in mold of Mark Amaza have condescendingly joined the Mohammedans in northern region to perpetrate mayhem on non-indigenes of northern region.

Besides Zamani Lekwot, there is no other prominent northerner and Christian who have the audacity to challenge the reckless political commentaries and acts of inciting religious mayhem arising from northern region. Writing mere essays on the pages of newspaper may not change the wrong perception some people have about northern region of Nigeria. Actions such as the one encouraged by Lekwot and Birom youths will stop the foolish shenanigans always rising from northern region.

To be candid, I gave my hats off to the Birom youths who have said enough is enough to the crazy display of Islamized youths of Hausa, Fulani and Kanuri who thought they have monopolistic strangle hold on violence in northern region.

1 Like

Re: Re-introducing Northern Nigeria: Not As You Know It By Mark Amaza by Nobody: 6:22pm On Apr 02, 2012
^^^^^ they're plenty northern minority leaders that have spoken out against "HAUSA FULANI ARSONIST" at one point or another i.e the following:

joshua dariye
gideon orkar
paul unongo
isaac shaahu
domkat bali
joseph tarka
avm dan suleiman
george akume
obande obeya
john iyorshe

. . . .and lots more. your assertion that these northern christians join the muslims in murdering southern christians is news to my ears. do you have proof?
Re: Re-introducing Northern Nigeria: Not As You Know It By Mark Amaza by emmke(m): 10:36pm On Apr 02, 2012
am all for a united northern xtians leaders forum or something like that. S kaduna, Plateau, Benue, taraba etc need to be more united.
Re: Re-introducing Northern Nigeria: Not As You Know It By Mark Amaza by Dede1(m): 11:00pm On Apr 02, 2012
torkaka: ^^^^^ they're plenty northern minority leaders that have spoken out against "HAUSA FULANI ARSONIST" at one point or another i.e the following:

joshua dariye
gideon orkar
paul unongo
isaac shaahu
domkat bali
joseph tarka
avm dan suleiman
george akume
obande obeya
john iyorshe

. . . .and lots more. your assertion that these northern christians join the muslims in murdering southern christians is news to my ears. do you have proof?

Anybody can make a statement of interest to an obscure newspaper and such action of self-interest does not delineate the action of Zamani Lekwot which attracted death sentence from ethnically biased federal government of Nigeria. The Birom youths have spoken volumes already on the unacceptable behavior of Mohammedans from northern region of Nigeria.

It is an error in judgment to compare the actions or whatever said by men like Air Commodore Dan Suleiman, Gov Joshua Dariye, Major Gideon Orkar, Dr. Pual Unongo, Mr. Isaac Shaahu, Lt Gen Domat Bali, Mr. Joseph Tarka, Gov George Akume , Mr. Obande Obeya and John Iyorshe with actions demonstrated by Lekwot and Birom youths against the political shenanigans that constantly emanate from Mohammedans from northern region of Nigeria.

You must be the only living creature on earth who is oblivious to pogrom of 1966 in northern region of Nigeria.
Re: Re-introducing Northern Nigeria: Not As You Know It By Mark Amaza by Nobody: 11:46pm On Apr 02, 2012
^^^^once again the 1966 anthem!
can't you see how shallow you are? so will it be safe for me to say igbos some times massacre mid westerners and use 1966 as my excuse? do you know the difference btw you and me? you are all theory whereas i am all practical. you read books to know, i interact to know! you have to first know the demographics before judging!
kaduna is evenly divided btw hausa/fulani and the southern kaduna people hence the exploding zekwot conflict and others after it. jos (especially jos north) is made up of a good number of hausa/fulani infact jos is what you might call the fault line btw muslims and christians hence the staggering conflict. in gombe you have the small tangale tribe (christians) and other smaller groups around them. these gombe groups are too insignificant to have a say like wise the groups in kebbi and bauchi. in adamawa and taraba tensions have not really boiled to warrant indigene and hausa/fulani battles although small skirmishes have been reported. kogi has no significant hausa/fulani population although evenly divided between christians and muslims (the igalas,igbirras,bassa,yoruba in kogi are actually muslims and christians). benue in terms of hausa/fulani looks like a southern state.
i hope now you understand why kaduna and jos are flash points,the spread of northern minorities can be summarized into being small minorities in some states,evenly distributed in others and total majority in others! you don't expect to hear ethnic clashes (not herdsmen/farmers issues) between indigenes and hausa/fulani in kogi & benue do you?
Re: Re-introducing Northern Nigeria: Not As You Know It By Mark Amaza by CyberG: 3:12am On Apr 03, 2012
^ Hey, I don't know if you are new here or old with a new ID. However, your ID is not familiar to me and I must warn you about that old bald-headed man Dede0 as permanently stuck in the 1966 reverse gear. He is the actual definition of loser because he can't see beyond his wide flat nose slapped down after the war. Did you say he read a book? I laugh! The only book he reads is the one written by him in his wild hallucinations at ungodly hours of the night after kicking down several wraps of akpu escorted down his long throat with Ofe nsala and 33 lager beer. LOL. grin grin He knows his masters but I won't mention his oga here, until this Dede0 kicks the bucket he will never forget the beating he got on NL, the one he got as a result of the war and that brought on by his general stupidity. tongue tongue Trying to talk to him is worse than talking to a stone! Goodluck stone charmer!
Re: Re-introducing Northern Nigeria: Not As You Know It By Mark Amaza by emmke(m): 10:02am On Apr 03, 2012
torkaka: ^^^^once again the 1966 anthem!
can't you see how shallow you are? so will it be safe for me to say igbos some times massacre mid westerners and use 1966 as my excuse? do you know the difference btw you and me? you are all theory whereas i am all practical. you read books to know, i interact to know! you have to first know the demographics before judging!
kaduna is evenly divided btw hausa/fulani and the southern kaduna people hence the exploding zekwot conflict and others after it. jos (especially jos north) is made up of a good number of hausa/fulani infact jos is what you might call the fault line btw muslims and christians hence the staggering conflict. in gombe you have the small tangale tribe (christians) and other smaller groups around them. these gombe groups are too insignificant to have a say like wise the groups in kebbi and bauchi. in adamawa and taraba tensions have not really boiled to warrant indigene and hausa/fulani battles although small skirmishes have been reported. kogi has no significant hausa/fulani population although evenly divided between christians and muslims (the igalas,igbirras,bassa,yoruba in kogi are actually muslims and christians). benue in terms of hausa/fulani looks like a southern state.
i hope now you understand why kaduna and jos are flash points,the spread of northern minorities can be summarized into being small minorities in some states,evenly distributed in others and total majority in others! you don't expect to hear ethnic clashes (not herdsmen/farmers issues) between indigenes and hausa/fulani in kogi & benue do you?
friend, u are confusing jos with plateau. Yes there is significant number of hausas in jos, just as there is significant numbers of igbos, yorubas etc. The early mining activities is responsible for this. For a start, what's the percentage of hausas in jos? Not more than 30% (generous). Now their percentage in the entire plateau is not upto 10%. I hope u not asserting that plateau is a state where there is equal divide between the plateau indigenes and hausas. Very far from the truth. May be i got u wrong.
Re: Re-introducing Northern Nigeria: Not As You Know It By Mark Amaza by Nobody: 10:18am On Apr 03, 2012
^^^^ read what i wrote. i didn't say plateau,i said jos specifically jos north.
Re: Re-introducing Northern Nigeria: Not As You Know It By Mark Amaza by honeric01(m): 10:47am On Apr 03, 2012
The south is filled up with alot of educated illiterates, thank God i had a convo with a bike man from Jos, he was surprised to chat with me because he thought i was just like the rest of the southerners he had chatted with who keeps repeating the same thing about the North being Muslim and Hausa.
Re: Re-introducing Northern Nigeria: Not As You Know It By Mark Amaza by Dede1(m): 1:36pm On Apr 03, 2012
torkaka: ^^^^once again the 1966 anthem!

There is no doubt most moronic Nigerians would want us to forget the pogrom of 1966 in northern region of Nigeria. In certain instances, they will attempt to interweave bold face fallacies and fictions to abuse the mind of undiscerning onlookers about realities in Nigeria. The pogrom of 1966 in northern region of Nigeria was proudly precipitated by the Christians and Mohammedans from northern region of Nigeria. Both sections of people from the northern region, Christians and Mohammedans, along with people from western and mid-western regions joined forces to foster a war of attrition on eastern region. I do not give a flying finger if the people are Christians or Mohammedans but one thing is clear in my consciousness, they are my sworn enemies baring none.

What happened before and after October 1, 1960 in the northern and southern protectorates are and shall remain integral part and history of the cesspit called Nigeria.

It is down right idiotic and laughable to insinuate “igbos some times massacre mid westerners and use 1966”. This is the height of irresponsible conjecture. The massacres that took place in mid-western region of Nigeria were targeted against Ndigbo by the Edo people and 8th Brigade of 2nd Division of Nigeria army.
Re: Re-introducing Northern Nigeria: Not As You Know It By Mark Amaza by Nobody: 2:12pm On Apr 03, 2012
^^^^ with the likes of you if the biafran war was to be fought ten times over the igbos will be whipped into line. in war diplomacy is an important factor. ojukwu could not reach out and convince his neighbours to back him before the outbreak of war and now you blame other tribes simply because gowon rallied them behind him(gowon)?. why can't you get it into your thick igbostic skull that the war was between biafra and nigeria not between biafra and the north? this attitude of yours was the same attitude ojukwu displayed and lost. in war people take sides because of interest and carrots dangled.
Re: Re-introducing Northern Nigeria: Not As You Know It By Mark Amaza by Dede1(m): 3:02pm On Apr 03, 2012
torkaka: ^^^^ with the likes of you if the biafran war was to be fought ten times over the igbos will be whipped into line. in war diplomacy is an important factor. ojukwu could not reach out and convince his neighbours to back him before the outbreak of war and now you blame other tribes simply because gowon rallied them behind him(gowon)?. why can't you get it into your thick igbostic skull that the war was between biafra and nigeria not between biafra and the north? this attitude of yours was the same attitude ojukwu displayed and lost. in war people take sides because of interest and carrots dangled.

Honestly, I shall give you little credit for being one of the few Nigerians to admit the Nigeria/Biafra civil war was debacle between Nigeria and Biafra. I do not know why you have not realized it till now that my posts hinged on this concept that civil war was between Nigeria and Biafra (eastern region).

I have argued that the essay on re-introduction of northern region was waste of effort. As much as I am in the picture, Ndigbo do not have neighbors but enemies.
Re: Re-introducing Northern Nigeria: Not As You Know It By Mark Amaza by Nobody: 3:50pm On Apr 03, 2012
^^^^ in 1966 after the nzeogu adventure the north felt short changed because it lost most of its military and political leaders. the west and northern minorities also lost but a little so it was easy getting everybody behind the bigger nigeria and fighting the igbos. fast forward 40yrs later almost every other group has been affected by religious crisis,fulani herdsmen,boko haram all propagated by the core north. now every tribe from jukun,tarok,berom,mushere,eggon,tiv,idoma,igede,anaguta to yoruba,ijaw,efik,igbo,isoko etc has felt the brunt of the hausa/fulani!!. now is not the time for the igbos to play the wrong diplomatic card.
here is wisdom for all igbos; you can get what you want if you work on others sentiments
Re: Re-introducing Northern Nigeria: Not As You Know It By Mark Amaza by honeric01(m): 11:43pm On Apr 03, 2012
torkaka: ^^^^ in 1966 after the nzeogu adventure the north felt short changed because it lost most of its military and political leaders. the west and northern minorities also lost but a little so it was easy getting everybody behind the bigger nigeria and fighting the igbos. fast forward 40yrs later almost every other group has been affected by religious crisis,fulani herdsmen,boko haram all propagated by the core north. now every tribe from jukun,tarok,berom,mushere,eggon,tiv,idoma,igede,anaguta to yoruba,ijaw,efik,igbo,isoko etc has felt the brunt of the hausa/fulani!!. now is not the time for the igbos to play the wrong diplomatic card.
here is wisdom for all igbos; you can get what you want if you work on others sentiments

But Igbos are not united, how can they get what they want when they can't even see eye to eye?
Re: Re-introducing Northern Nigeria: Not As You Know It By Mark Amaza by ikeyman00(m): 12:22am On Apr 04, 2012
^^^^^ so tell what u mean really?? united could u explain biko

further more tell those u think are united?

the igbo are waiting for the answers cool
Re: Re-introducing Northern Nigeria: Not As You Know It By Mark Amaza by CyberG: 4:17am On Apr 04, 2012
Dede1:

There is no doubt most moronic Nigerians would want us to forget the pogrom of 1966 in northern region of Nigeria. In certain instances, they will attempt to interweave bold face fallacies and fictions to abuse the mind of undiscerning onlookers about realities in Nigeria. The pogrom of 1966 in northern region of Nigeria was proudly precipitated by the Christians and Mohammedans from northern region of Nigeria. Both sections of people from the northern region, Christians and Mohammedans, along with people from western and mid-western regions joined forces to foster a war of attrition on eastern region. I do not give a flying finger if the people are Christians or Mohammedans but one thing is clear in my consciousness, they are my sworn enemies baring none.

What happened before and after October 1, 1960 in the northern and southern protectorates are and shall remain integral part and history of the cesspit called Nigeria.

It is down right idiotic and laughable to insinuate “igbos some times massacre mid westerners and use 1966”. This is the height of irresponsible conjecture. The massacres that took place in mid-western region of Nigeria were targeted against Ndigbo by the Edo people and 8th Brigade of 2nd Division of Nigeria army.

Odensende1 is still screaming, neck veins tightening, eyes popping out of socket about 1966??! You are really a SORE LOSER in life and at your age? You still blame the actors in their 30's back in 1967 for bold decisions they took and huge responsibilities they shouldered while you remain a by-word, a macabre excuse of a Nigerian? Ha! I know LOTS of Igbos and NONE is like you and yes, we hang out together and do LOTS of things but you are a sore loser! When will you keel over and die a miserable death and stop polluting what is left of this humans space? In 1967, both sides had a long time to win the diplomacy war and the SE were adjudged even first out of the gate! The diplomacy war was lost, then the battle field was lost and the post war diplomacy was still lost! And you blame the other side for winning? You claim everyone is your enemy in Nigeria? Ha! On the day of your trouble, you will see not even one of these people you have abused will lift a finger to help until you totally perish and are ground to a pulp! Quote me and yes: I am here. Come get me with your BEST A-GAME OLD LOSER! angry angry
Re: Re-introducing Northern Nigeria: Not As You Know It By Mark Amaza by honeric01(m): 8:42am On Apr 04, 2012
ikeyman00: ^^^^^ so tell what u mean really?? united could u explain biko

further more tell those u think are united?

the igbo are waiting for the answers cool

You want to know how united the Igbos should be? Ask Orju, Obi and the rest state governors, they all do things alone, you cant even come together to work towards making the 5 states in the East better. when i say unite, i mean working for the common good of the east, they are individually chasing glory.
Re: Re-introducing Northern Nigeria: Not As You Know It By Mark Amaza by ikeyman00(m): 9:10am On Apr 04, 2012
^^^^ and the yaribas and hausa with the 419 united in looting since 1960 got them where. . . ?

boko den lipsrsealed u mean?
Re: Re-introducing Northern Nigeria: Not As You Know It By Mark Amaza by honeric01(m): 9:27am On Apr 04, 2012
ikeyman00: ^^^^ and the yaribas and hausa with the 419 united in looting since 1960 got them where. . . ?

boko den lipsrsealed u mean?

So because the yaribas (as u put it) and hausa with d 419 united are looting and not doing what i am suggesting the East should do, its okay for the east to join them? now tell me, does the clamor for Biafra even make sense when the 5 eastern states can't even work together for a common goal? (turn the region to a one "state" region?

(1) (Reply)

When Common Sense Trounces Academic Brilliance! Soyinka Vs Orji Uzor Kalu. / “we Have 75 Female Suicide Bombers” – Boko Haram Source / Jonathan Dumps Oritsejafor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 115
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.