Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,849 members, 7,802,718 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:52 PM

The Sun On The Cross: Astrononomy, Astrology And Religion - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Sun On The Cross: Astrononomy, Astrology And Religion (10240 Views)

2015 Polls: Prophecies That Hit The Crossbar - Femi Adesina (the SUN) / Correlating Astrology And Theory Of Karma / Zodiac/ Horoscope/astrology And Their JUJU/satanic Connection (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Sun On The Cross: Astrononomy, Astrology And Religion by jantavanta(m): 12:00pm On Apr 02, 2012
Spring Equinox took place on March 21. This is the time when the apparent movement of the Sun
crosses the equator resulting in equal length of day and night. This time comes after winter
when the Sun "dies" and is expected to be reborn.

The Ancients did not separate astronomy, astrology and religion. But "Modern Man"
not understanding the allegorical messages in scriptures simply made them disparate.

The zodiac constellation of Aries falls in 21 March to 20 April. Aries is a ram or lamb
the "Lamb of God".

Every religion ascribes Divinity to celestial objects. Particularly the Sun, which
has always been known as the center of the solar system (except among those who needed Galileo
to tell them!)

In the desert climates, the Moon would preferred as an astrological symbol because it brings relief
from the scorching heat.

These Celestial objects can be personified to a Man or a Woman.

A good knowledge of astronomy is required to follow this topic.
Re: The Sun On The Cross: Astrononomy, Astrology And Religion by mkmyers45(m): 5:09pm On Apr 02, 2012
The catholic church were obsessed with astrology and its obvious that Astrology is the basis for modern religion but a Christain will run roit here claiming horoscope has nothing to do with them when clear Astrological links are all over the bible even Jesus made references to astrology.Gen 1:14-15,Luke 21:25-27 and Job 38:22. Astrology is part of religion, it cannot be done any with and its in no way bad.
Re: The Sun On The Cross: Astrononomy, Astrology And Religion by jantavanta(m): 8:15am On Jul 01, 2012
Lunar Occultation of Planet Venus

This is the origin of the Crescent and Star Symbol of Islam.

National Star and Crescent Symbols

Re: The Sun On The Cross: Astrononomy, Astrology And Religion by PastorAIO: 12:04pm On Jul 01, 2012
mkmyers45: The catholic church were obsessed with astrology and its obvious that Astrology is the basis for modern religion but a Christain will run roit here claiming horoscope has nothing to do with them when clear Astrological links are all over the bible even Jesus made references to astrology.Gen 1:14-15,Luke 21:25-27 and Job 38:22. Astrology is part of religion, it cannot be done any with and its in no way bad.

14And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years: 15And let them be for lights in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth: and it was so. 16And

Are seasons spoken of purely meteorological or are the events of history subject to seasons too.

1To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:
2A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted;

3A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;

4A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;

25And there shall be signs in the sun, and in the moon, and in the stars; and upon the earth distress of nations, with perplexity; the sea and the waves roaring; 26Men's hearts failing them for fear, and for looking after those things which are coming on the earth: for the powers of heaven shall be shaken.
Luke 21

Hmmm.
Re: The Sun On The Cross: Astrononomy, Astrology And Religion by jantavanta(m): 9:24am On Jul 02, 2012
The Origin of the Cross: The [b]cross[/b]ing of the Ecliptic with the Celestial Equator

The S[b]u[/b]n on the Cross personified as the S[b]o[/b]n on the Cross. This astronomical knowledge was known to Africans
long before Christianity spread from Ancient Egypt to Europe.

[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/bd/Earths_orbit_and_ecliptic.PNG/587px-Earths_orbit_and_ecliptic.PNG[/img]

The Sun of God can have 2 birth places, called: Bethlehem and Nazareth, because the places are constellations in the sky
and not places on the Earth.

Re: The Sun On The Cross: Astrononomy, Astrology And Religion by PastorAIO: 10:00am On Jul 02, 2012
jantavanta: The Origin of the Cross: The [b]cross[/b]ing of the Ecliptic with the Celestial Equator

The S[b]u[/b]n on the Cross personified as the S[b]o[/b]n on the Cross. This astronomical knowledge was known to Africans
long before Christianity spread from Ancient Egypt to Europe.

The Sun of God can have 2 birth places, called: Bethlehem and Nazareth, because the places are constellations in the sky
and not places on the Earth.

early christians did not speak english. In latin the sun is Sol, and son is Filis, abi? So there is no way they would have made that connection of S[b]o[/b]n and S[b]u[/b]n.

In greek Sun is Helios, son is Huios.
Re: The Sun On The Cross: Astrononomy, Astrology And Religion by jantavanta(m): 5:24am On Jul 07, 2012
Agreed. It is just to illustrate the importance placed on the Sun and the connection between astronomy and theology.

Personified Sun God Men did not start with Christianity. It is an ancient tradition in ancient religions.

With a focus on the new Testament, the passages are allegorical descriptions of the apparent movement of the Sun against the
background of the Zodiac, representing constellations of stars. that is why a literal-historical perspective of the texts
results in accusations of "errors" and "inconsistencies". The texts were never intended to describe a wandering miracle man.

How can a child be born in 2 places?

How can someone ride on 2 donkeys?
Re: The Sun On The Cross: Astrononomy, Astrology And Religion by PastorAIO: 9:28am On Jul 07, 2012
Where does it say that Jesus was born in two places?

Can you give us an example of new testament passages being allegorical descriptions of the Sun's passage through the zodiac? I am not disputing you, I just want examples from you.

Check the births of Jesus and John the Baptists vis a vis each other.
Re: The Sun On The Cross: Astrononomy, Astrology And Religion by plaetton: 12:53pm On Jul 07, 2012
One version of the bible says jesus was born in Nazareth, another version says he was born in Bethlehem.

Pls read the following:

http://thecounterpunch.hubpages.com/hub/Jesus-and-the-Astrological-Zodiac
Re: The Sun On The Cross: Astrononomy, Astrology And Religion by PastorAIO: 12:23pm On Jul 08, 2012
plaetton: One version of the bible says jesus was born in Nazareth, another version says he was born in Bethlehem.

Pls read the following:

It rings a bell. Either I've read it before or it possible comes from a documentary I watched. Yet it doesn't mention where the bible says Jesus was born in two different places.

Also none of the references it gives are from original sources. I have yet to read one original ancient egyptian source that says that Horus had 12 disciples and went around healing the sick and performing miracles.

All the references below are to books that were written only a few years ago. No references to the Egyptian books of the dead or any of the numerous numerous books that the egyptians wrote recounting their mythologies.

References
[S1] - Singh, Madanjeet: 'The Sun- Symbol of Power and Life, UNESCO Pub., 1993 [S2] - Krupp, Edwin: In Search of Ancient Astronomies, Mcgraw-Hill, 1979 [S3] - Carpenter, Edward: Pagan and Christian Creeds, DODO Press, Chaper III: "The Symbolism of the Zodiac [S4] - Hall, Manly P.: The Secret Teachings of All Ages, 1928. Page 53-56 [Chapter: "The Zodiac and Its Signs] [S5] - Carpenter, Edward: Pagan & Christian Creeds, 1920. Page 36-53 [Chaper III: "The Symbolism of the Zodiac] [S6] - Acharya S.: Suns of God, Adventures Unlimited Press, 2004. Page 60-85 [Chaper III: "The Sun God"] [S7] - Hazelrigg, John.: The Sun Book, Health Research, 1971. Page 43 [S8] - Acharya S.: Suns of God, Adventures Unlimited Press, 2004. Page 86-95 [S9] - Olcott, William Tyler : Suns Lore of All Ages, The Book Tree, 1914. Page 157 [S10] - Mackenzie, Donald: Egyption Myth and Legend, 1907 Page 163 [S11] - Churchward, Albert: The Origin & Evolution of Religion, Page 48, 51 [S12] - Acharya S.: Suns of God, Adventures Unlimited Press, 2004. Page 92, 113 [S13] - Acharya S.: The Christ Conspiracy, Adventures Unlimited Press, 1999. Page 257-259 [S14] - Massey, Gerald.: The Historical Jesus and the Mythical Christ, The Book Tree, . Page 39-40 [S15] - Septehenses, Clerk De.: Religions. of the Ancient. Greeks, p. 214. [S16] - Doane, Thomas.: Bible Myths and Their Parallels in Other Religions, p. 327-328 [S17] - Massey, Gerald.: The Historical Jesus and the Mythical Christ, The Book Tree, . Page 40 [S18] - Hall, Manly P.: The Secret Teachings of All Ages, 1928. Page 53-56 [Chapter 7: "Isis, the Virgin of the World"] [S19] - Massey, Gerald.: The Historical Jesus and the Mythical Christ, The Book Tree, . Page 12-13 [S20] - Jackson, John: Christianity before Christ, AAP, p111-113 [S21] -Walker, Barbara: Women's Encyplodia of Myths and Secrets, p. 748-754 [S22] - Massey, Gerald.: The Historical Jesus and the Mythical Christ, The Book Tree, . Pages 56-61 [S23] - Massey, Gerald.: Ancient Egypt The Light of The World ,Cosimo Classics, Pages 613-620 [S24] - Massey, Gerald. :Ancient Egypt The Light of The World ,Cosimo Classics, Pages 614 [S25] - Massey, Gerald.: Ancient Egypt The Light of The World ,Cosimo Classics, Pages 600-607 [S26] - Doane, Thomas.: Bible Myths and Their Parallels in Other Religions, p. 256, 273 [S27] - Massey, Gerald.: Ancient Egypt The Light of The World ,Cosimo Classics, Pages 623-661
Re: The Sun On The Cross: Astrononomy, Astrology And Religion by mkmyers45(m): 2:43pm On Jul 11, 2012
Pastor AIO:

Are seasons spoken of purely meteorological or are the events of history subject to seasons too.

Luke 21

Hmmm.

Its possible that they are purely meteorological or they can represent other things but i still insist that a higher level of astrology is woven into the church and practiced more than we realise....

Now, was Jesus just talking about reading the heavenly body for weather patterns? Possible.... Or for to be use to forestall things that will quake the heart of a man? Most Likely....
Re: The Sun On The Cross: Astrononomy, Astrology And Religion by jantavanta(m): 5:18pm On Jul 11, 2012
Precession of the Equinox: The Lamb of God and Fishers of Men

Every approximately 2,135 years, the point of Vernal Equinox shifts as a result of the precession of the equinox.
This shift is expressed in religious texts. For example the era of Christianity was symbolized by the fish. The early Christians
were known as People of the Fish because the point of vernal equinox had shifted from Aries to Pisces.

In the celebration of Ramadan, the slaughtering of the Ram is also symbolic of the movement from the age of Aries (The Ram)
to the age of Pisces (The fish).

Re: The Sun On The Cross: Astrononomy, Astrology And Religion by jantavanta(m): 5:22pm On Jul 11, 2012
Pastor AIO: Where does it say that Jesus was born in two places?

Can you give us an example of new testament passages being allegorical descriptions of the Sun's passage through the zodiac? I am not disputing you, I just want examples from you.

Check the births of Jesus and John the Baptists vis a vis each other.

Aquarius (The water bearer): The Baptism by John the Baptist
Pisces (The Fish): Follow me, I will make you fishers of men

More examples will come later.
Re: The Sun On The Cross: Astrononomy, Astrology And Religion by jantavanta(m): 5:29pm On Jul 11, 2012
plaetton: One version of the bible says jesus was born in Nazareth, another version says he was born in Bethlehem.

Pls read the following:

Both versions of the Bible are correct, in that one version adopts one birth place from the ancient texts.
The other adopts the second birth place from the same ancient texts. Allegorically, there is no contradiction.
Literally-historically, it appears confusing.
Re: The Sun On The Cross: Astrononomy, Astrology And Religion by PastorAIO: 5:53pm On Jul 11, 2012
mkmyers45:

Its possible that they are purely meteorological or they can represent other things but i still insist that a higher level of astrology is woven into the church and practiced more than we realise....

Now, was Jesus just talking about reading the heavenly body for weather patterns? Possible.... Or for to be use to forestall things that will quake the heart of a man? Most Likely....

. . . And I still insist that I do not disagree with you. ..

All I am asking for are examples. I also do not dispute that the movement of the heavenly bodies have an effect on events on earth, and not only meteorological events.
Re: The Sun On The Cross: Astrononomy, Astrology And Religion by PastorAIO: 6:01pm On Jul 11, 2012
jantavanta: Precession of the Equinox: The Lamb of God and Fishers of Men

Every approximately 2,135 years, the point of Vernal Equinox shifts as a result of the precession of the equinox.
This shift is expressed in religious texts. For example the era of Christianity was symbolized by the fish. The early Christians
were known as People of the Fish because the point of vernal equinox had shifted from Aries to Pisces.

In the celebration of Ramadan, the slaughtering of the Ram is also symbolic of the movement from the age of Aries (The Ram)
to the age of Pisces (The fish).

I hear you about the precession. The christians used Ichtus as a symbol, but since the precession is a global phenomenon how comes there is no other cult or movement of the period that used the fish symbolism too. Only Christianity. Or was it only christians that knew about the precession. Now if you come come up with a reference to fish symbolism in another culture around the same time that would really strengthen your argument.

But as for the Ramadan part, you are on thin ice there. For a start Islam started in 7th century CE long after the age of Pisces had been established. secondly, shouldn't they be sacrificing fish rather than rams, considering that rams belong to the previous age.

Perhaps if you delved into prehistory you might find examples of the precession away from Taurus into Aries and how that affected their cultural and religious symbolisms.
Re: The Sun On The Cross: Astrononomy, Astrology And Religion by PastorAIO: 6:07pm On Jul 11, 2012
jantavanta:

Aquarius and John the baptist are very tenuous. You should try looking into the myth of Ganymede, and also the Flood. Noah, and Deucalion, or Utnapishtim.

Please I look forward to more examples.
Re: The Sun On The Cross: Astrononomy, Astrology And Religion by InesQor(m): 6:13pm On Jul 11, 2012
Interesting topic. Hopefully I can make a meaningful contribution as we proceed.
Re: The Sun On The Cross: Astrononomy, Astrology And Religion by InesQor(m): 6:37pm On Jul 11, 2012
I have always been interested in the claims about astronomy/astrology and religion. Some of them seem likely but I will need more background information to believe anything about them. Yet some others sound like coincidences, or even at worst, like jokes.

I hope jantavanta has credible sources to lend support to his premises.
Re: The Sun On The Cross: Astrononomy, Astrology And Religion by jantavanta(m): 10:31pm On Jul 11, 2012
Pastor AIO:

I hear you about the precession. The christians used Ichtus as a symbol, but since the precession is a global phenomenon how comes there is no other cult or movement of the period that used the fish symbolism too. Only Christianity. Or was it only christians that knew about the precession. Now if you come come up with a reference to fish symbolism in another culture around the same time that would really strengthen your argument.

But as for the Ramadan part, you are on thin ice there. For a start Islam started in 7th century CE long after the age of Pisces had been established. secondly, shouldn't they be sacrificing fish rather than rams, considering that rams belong to the previous age.

Perhaps if you delved into prehistory you might find examples of the precession away from Taurus into Aries and how that affected their cultural and religious symbolisms.

Fish symbolism was a choice of expression for Christianity. In Mithraism, the Bull is slaughtered and the initiate is "covered by the blood"
Islam cannot be sacrificing fish, because the 7th century (and up till now) is still in the age of Pisces. Islam is an ecumenism of Judaism and Christianity
which was needed to resolve differences among Arab Jews and Arab Christians. When we enter the Aquarian age, we can expect to sacrifice fish.
Re: The Sun On The Cross: Astrononomy, Astrology And Religion by jantavanta(m): 10:46pm On Jul 11, 2012
InesQor: I have always been interested in the claims about astronomy/astrology and religion. Some of them seem likely but I will need more background information to believe anything about them. Yet some others sound like coincidences, or even at worst, like jokes.

I hope jantavanta has credible sources to lend support to his premises.

Gnosticism, Judaism, and Egyptian Christianity by Birger Pearson
Fragments of a Faith Forgotten by G. R. S. Mead
Pistis Sophia, A Gnostic Gospel by G. R. S. Mead
Did Jesus Live 100 B. C.?, by G. R. S. Mead,
Thrice Greatest Hermes by G. R. S. Mead,
Shadow of the Third Century, Dr. Alvin Boyd Kuhn,
Early Christian Heresies by Joan O'Grady
The True Origins of Christianity and the Bible by Andrew Benson
The Beginning Of Christianity by Andrew Welburn
The Historical Jesus And The Mythical Christ by Gerald Massey
Jung And The Lost Gospels by Stephan Hoeller
Gnosticism: New Light On The Ancient Tradition by Stephan Hoeller
Gnosis: The Nature & History Of Gnosticism by Kurt Rudolph
The Gnostic Gospels by Elaine Pagels
The Gnostic Paul by Elaine Pagels
The Gnostic Scriptures by Bentley Layton
Re: The Sun On The Cross: Astrononomy, Astrology And Religion by jantavanta(m): 10:49pm On Jul 11, 2012
http://jesusastrotheology.com/tracing_sun_zodiac_origin_jesus_story5.htm
The approach of the Age of Aries greatly affected the forms by which the Egyptian gods were represented. The cult of the Bull diminished and Amon-Re (the Sun god) became Ram-headed. The names of many of the major deities changed to illustrate the power of the cosmic forces at work in this new period. Mithra, the Persian solar deity, who used to be called “The Sacred Bull,” now became “The Slayer of the Bull.” Ashur, Sun god of the Assyrians and known as “The Great Bull,” transformed into a Mars-like god of war. In Sumeria changes were made in the calendar and in the lists of the celestial stars, recognizing the ascendancy of the Age of the Ram. The culture of Aries flourished in the warring states of Greece and later Rome. During this period, Apollo, the Greek solar deity, became the patron of shepherds and flocks. The rise of the Zoroastrian religion in this period is also testament to the influence of Aries. The prophet Zoroaster instructed his followers to pray in the presence of fire, fixing their eyes upon it and thinking of justice and truth. This is symbolic of Aries, a fire sign. Instead of an image, the sacred centrepiece of Zoroastrian temples was an ever-burning fire. During this period (Exodus 1:8-14) Moses emerged from the house of Pharaoh to lead the Hebrews out of bondage and into the Promised Land. Moses embodied all the qualities of the sign Aries and combined them with the practical influence of Taurus. He not only expressed his desire for his people’s freedom in an idealistic manner, but he also codified principles into what is now known as Mosaic Law. Through Moses the Ten Commandments were revealed. Thus we see the influence of Libra at work with Justice being created so the newly liberated pioneers of the desert would have a structure upon which to base their society. The story of the Exodus as it is related in the Old Testament clearly illustrates the transition from the Age of the Bull to the Ram. When Moses went up to the Mount, Yahweh appeared to him in the form of a burning bush (Aries is a fiery sign). Moses received the Ten Commandments (Libra) and brought them down the mountain to the people, where he found the Israelites worshiping the golden calf (a symbol of the previous age). The transition to the next age was personified by the birth of Jesus (the name derived from the Aramaic Yeshua, meaning “saviour”, and from the Greek word for “fish”, ICQUS, which spells out an acronym standing for ‘Jesus Christ Son of God Saviour’). Jesus was the Saviour of the Piscean Age but came to Earth through the Israelites, a people of the Age of Aries.
Re: The Sun On The Cross: Astrononomy, Astrology And Religion by jantavanta(m): 11:32pm On Jul 11, 2012
Aries: Behold the Lamb of God
Taurus (crossing of the Milky way from Taurus to Gemini): Crossing the Sea of Galilee
Gemini (twins): Meeting two possessed with devils

The Milky Way was also known as the River of Heaven.
Taurus is on the right below the ecliptic.
Gemini is on the left above the ecliptic
Re: The Sun On The Cross: Astrononomy, Astrology And Religion by mkmyers45(m): 1:11pm On Jul 14, 2012
@Pastor AIO check [url]en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christianity_and_astrology[/url] and [url]druidschool.com/site/1030100/page/923834[/url] I have some picture which i may put up later...
Re: The Sun On The Cross: Astrononomy, Astrology And Religion by Nobody: 1:24pm On Jul 14, 2012
jantavanta:

This is the origin of the Crescent and Star Symbol of Islam.

Point of correction, the crescent is not an Islamic symbol. People only take it as an Islamic symbol in error and ignorance.

The crescent was originally a secular symbol of authority for Muslim rulers but it is now often used to symbolize the Islamic faith. The crescent was not a symbol used for Islam by Muhammad (S.A.W) or any other early Muslim rulers, as the Islamic religion is against appointing 'holy symbols' Muslim authorities simply didn't want any geometric symbols to be used to symbolize Islam, in the way that the cross symbolizes Christianity or the menorah symbolizing Judaism. This is why early Islamic coins were covered with Arabic writing, but contained no symbols.
Before Islam, the crescent was the symbol of Sassanids and after capturing Persian lands, the crescent has been adopted by Muslim Arabs and later by Islamic faith. Later on, the crescent and star were adopted by the Turks and since then the crescent has been a frequent symbol used by powerful Muslim empires such as the Ottomans and the Mughals.

The use of the crescent in other countries world wide was as a result of its use by the early propagators of Islam.
Re: The Sun On The Cross: Astrononomy, Astrology And Religion by mkmyers45(m): 3:34pm On Jul 14, 2012
Jesus and the Zodiac
The sun is the "Light of the World." (John 8:12)
The sun "cometh on clouds, and every eye shall see him." (Revelations 1:7)
The sun is “anointed” when its rays dip into the sea.
The sun rising in the morning is the "Savior of mankind," as well as the "healer" or "savior" during the day.
The sun wears a corona, "crown of thorns" or halo.
The sun "walks on water," describing its reflection. (John 6:19)
The sun's "followers," "helpers" or "disciples" are the 12 months and the 12 signs of the zodiac or constellations, through which the sun must pass annually.
The sun at 12 noon is "Most High" in the sky; thus, "he" begins "his Father's work" at "age" 12.
The sun enters into each sign of the zodiac at 30°; hence, the "Sun of God" begins his ministry at "age" 30.
The sun's warmth turns water into wine through ripening grapes.

Jesus as a Son God
Many of the world's sacrificed godmen have their traditional birthday on December 25th ("Christmas"wink. This represents the ancient recognition that (from a perspective in the northern hemisphere) the sun makes a yearly descent southward until December 21st or 22nd, the winter solstice, when it stops moving southerly for three days and then starts to move northward again. During this time, people back then believed that "God's sun" had "died" for three days and was "born again" on December 25th. After December 25, the Sun moves 1 degree, this time north, foreshadowing longer days. And thus it was said, the Sun died on the cross, was dead for 3 days, only to be resurrected or born again.[11]
In the Gospel of Luke (1:78), Christ's very advent is depicted as a visitation from the "dayspring on high": "Through the tender mercy of our God; whereby the dayspring from on high hath visited us..." The word for "dayspring" or "day" in the original Greek is ἀνατολή or anatole, which means "sunrise, east."
Jesus's role as the "light of the world" and "Sun of Righteousness" is elucidated at Matthew 17:2:
"And he was transfigured before them, and his face shone like the sun, and his garments became white as light."
As it was in Matthew, the face of Christ as the sun is likewise revealed at Revelation 1:16:
"...in his right hand he held seven stars, from his mouth issued a sharp two-edged sword, and his face was like the sun shining in full strength."
Jesus's astro-theological nature is further indicated at Revelation 22:16, in which he is equated with the "bright morning star":
"I Jesus have sent my angel to you with this testimony for the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, the bright morning star."

In these verses Jesus is symbolised as sunlight:

"I have come into the world as a light, so that no one who believes in me should stay in darkness." - John 12:46
"In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it. There was a man sent from God whose name was John. He came as a witness to testify concerning that light, so that through him all might believe. He himself was not the light; he came only as a witness to the light." - John 1:4-8
"The true light that enlightens every man was coming into the world." - John 1:9
"...Christ will shine on you." - Ephesians 5:14
The "bright morning star" is typically said to be the planet Venus, but it could also refer to the sun itself.
To paraphrase New Testament sentiment concerning Christ:
"I am the light of the world that every eye will see."
If every eye can see this "light of the world," it is understandable that many people in ancient times believed Jesus Christ to be the solar orb itself, as they had with numerous gods preceding his purported advent. It is not only natural but logical that thousands of people in the earliest days of Christianity would have believed Christ to be the same as the gods they were already worshipping, the bulk of which possessed solar attributes and were often considered to be sun gods to a significant extent.
At lower angles the sun has more atmosphere to punch through, so red sunrises and sunsets appear with increasing frequency. Ancients saw these natural events as their sun god weakening as it was falling and bleeding

Jesus Christ's Son of Man

The Son of Man in the Gospels can be linked to the constellation Orion. Revelation’s description of the Son of man fits the pattern of stars in the constellation Orion. The star on his right shoulder is bright red (upper left star). The three stars at his waist were later seen as the three wise men who announced the birth of Jesus.[13]
The Son of man has a cluster of stars in the background that look like the clouds upon which the Son of man rides. Astronomical maps show the Milky Way behind the constellation Orion. From earth, they look like clouds.
"Then I turned to see the voice that was speaking to me, and on turning I saw seven golden lampstands, and in the midst of the lampstands one like a son of man, clothed with a long robe and with a golden girdle round his breast; his head and his hair were white as white wool, white as snow; his eyes were like a flame of fire, his feet were like burnished bronze, refined as in a furnace, and his voice was like the sound of many waters; in his right hand he held seven stars, from his mouth issued a sharp two-edged sword, and his face was like the sun shining in full strength." - Rev. 1:12-20
"And I looked, and behold a white cloud, and upon the cloud one sat like unto the Son of man, having on his head a golden crown, and in his hand a sharp sickle." - Rev. 14:14-20
Orion, as seen in human form, has his right hand holding a sickle or a club. His left hand could be holding an animal skin, a shield or a bow. The Milky Way is behind him. The arc above him represents the Sun’s path. The line going through his waist is the celestial equator which runs parallel to earth’s equator.
"As they were gathering in Galilee, Jesus said to them, 'The Son of man is to be delivered into the hands of men, and they will kill him, and he will be raised on the third day.' And they were greatly distressed." - Matt. 17:22-23
When the sun goes below the equator into the dark days, it is said to be delivered to the enemy. While the earth rotates, the stars appear to be moving westerly until they dip below the horizon. Three days later they reappear in the eastern horizon.[14]
..."'tell us if you are the Christ, the Son of God.' Jesus said to him, 'You have said so. But I tell you, hereafter you will see the Son of man seated at the right hand of Power, and coming on the clouds of heaven.'" - Matt. 26:63-64
When facing North, Orion’s rising in the East can be seen as rising from the right. Orion appears at the right hand of the Sun.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astrology_within_the_Bible
Re: The Sun On The Cross: Astrononomy, Astrology And Religion by mkmyers45(m): 3:38pm On Jul 14, 2012
A red sunset, signifying Jesus' bleeding. "This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many." - (Mark 14:24)

Re: The Sun On The Cross: Astrononomy, Astrology And Religion by mkmyers45(m): 4:16pm On Jul 14, 2012
Although the Roman Catholic Church claims that the crosier represents the shepherd's crook, it actually can be traced to the divining staff or the augur of pontifex maximus of ancient Rome, who inherited it from the priests of Babylon.

Re: The Sun On The Cross: Astrononomy, Astrology And Religion by tpia5: 11:52pm On Jul 14, 2012
jantavanta:

any link to the fact that fishing was an actual occupation?
Re: The Sun On The Cross: Astrononomy, Astrology And Religion by jantavanta(m): 2:58pm On Jul 16, 2012
fellis:

Point of correction, the crescent is not an Islamic symbol. People only take it as an Islamic symbol in error and ignorance.

...................................... Later on, the crescent and star were adopted by the Turks and since then the crescent has been a frequent symbol used by powerful Muslim empires such as the Ottomans and the Mughals.

The use of the crescent in other countries world wide was as a result of its use by the early propagators of Islam.

Correction accepted. A lot of what is seen as Arab-Islamic was actually Ottoman-Turkish; including dressing customs. Could I point out that
the perception of an Arab was a Black Person and not a White Person? For many centuries, Islam was known as the religion of the Ottoman Turkish empire and not the religion of the Arabs. The present-day White Arabs are actually Turkish people;supplanting Arab
culture with Turkish culture.

Still, the Judaic and Judeo-Christian basis of Islam cannot be overlooked in the light of their Astro-Theological components.
Re: The Sun On The Cross: Astrononomy, Astrology And Religion by mkmyers45(m): 3:08pm On Jul 16, 2012
Will love to hear from Pastor AIO.....

P:S...Jantavanta please check your other topics...
Re: The Sun On The Cross: Astrononomy, Astrology And Religion by DevotedOne(m): 8:07pm On Jul 16, 2012
In The Name of The Only God, The All Merciful, The Most Compassionate. The Peace of The One God, Be Upon You, Everyone.

Food for thought;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3i6UwVkP6M&feature=related God's Sun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQ-kvw1fYXs&feature=player_embedded# Sun of
God?

Salaam/Peace. DevotedOne

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Alfaseltzer- I Have Put On The Whole Weapon For War. Am Ready For War. / Don't Name Your Kids Shadrach, Meshach And Abednego / Intelligent Design Or No Intelligent Design? Can We Analyze This?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 108
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.