Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,538 members, 7,808,983 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:26 PM

Clay Bricks - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Clay Bricks (3997 Views)

Red Clay Bricks In Nigeria / Interlocking Stabilized Compressed Clay Bricks For Construction / Burnt Clay Bricks As An Alternative To Cement Block (less Expensive&looks Better (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Clay Bricks by AjanleKoko: 11:17am On Apr 03, 2012
I'm curious. How come we do not make clay bricks in Nigeria?
With all the talk about cement prices, I'm wondering why people are not building with clay bricks, our traditional material used for building before Oyinbos showed up. Clay bricks are usually expensive, does anybody know why?
Re: Clay Bricks by Nobody: 10:25am On Apr 13, 2012
Dont think clay bricks are anymore expensive than concrete; the common perception in naija is that they are local.
Re: Clay Bricks by AjanleKoko: 11:12am On Apr 13, 2012
But the redbricks are only bought through one company, and are more expensive than concrete?
I think it's just a lack of know-how. Most of the building market is controlled by local artisans.

1 Like

Re: Clay Bricks by Nobody: 12:01pm On Apr 13, 2012
Are you talking about Redbricks - The company that built Amen Estate? I woulda thought the clay was locally sourced and molded in Nigeria, no?

I personally like them for their thermal properties and low maintenance quality. Intend to build with clay bricks
Re: Clay Bricks by AjanleKoko: 12:16pm On Apr 13, 2012
Yeah, I am talking about Redbricks.
I want to start a new development, and have requested costing for clay bricks.
But the price has startled me, and even the builder is doing his best to convince me not to use clay bricks.
I need to visit Amen Estate this weekend and look at what they did out there.
Re: Clay Bricks by Nobody: 12:23pm On Apr 13, 2012
Oga mi, seems like all these builders have the same thoughts. Mine just told me same this morning, he's gone as far as telling me that the design needs to be altered. He even claimed Amen built with concrete and plastered with clay just to get the red brick effect. The thing tire me abeg. I am determined to build with clay though. There's supposedly a company at Oregun where you can buy clay bricks, I'll make some more enquiries and let you know.
Re: Clay Bricks by AjanleKoko: 8:11am On Apr 14, 2012
^^

That's Clay Industries Oregun. Supposedly the only company that makes clay bricks in Nigeria.
Re: Clay Bricks by KiksAsso: 3:06pm On Apr 14, 2012
One Builder also told me that red bricks absorbs lot of heat when the climate is sunny.
It's quite unfortunate that there is no basic information about this bricks but I think I will have to make enquiry too from Oregun cos I like them in buildings.
Re: Clay Bricks by AjanleKoko: 9:32pm On Apr 14, 2012
Well, clay bricks would be more expensive, considering that they have to be fired in a kiln, and baked.
Unlike the concrete blocks that are just left to dry in the sun.
Re: Clay Bricks by Nobody: 11:30pm On Apr 14, 2012
AjanleKoko: Well, clay bricks would be more expensive, considering that they have to be fired in a kiln, and baked.
Unlike the concrete blocks that are just left to dry in the sun.

But with clay, there'd no plastering or painting, no? The cost of those two elements should/may still offset the saving from using concrete; the cabals are against the use of clay jo grin

https://www.nairaland.com/352945/burnt-clay-bricks-as-alternative
I'll call poster Redbrick from above thread if they are still in business
Re: Clay Bricks by AjanleKoko: 11:39pm On Apr 14, 2012
naijababe:

But with clay, there'd no plastering or painting, no? The cost of those two elements should/may still offset the saving from using concrete; the cabals are against the use of clay jo grin

https://www.nairaland.com/352945/burnt-clay-bricks-as-alternative
I'll call poster Redbrick from above thread if they are still in business

I think you will need to plaster o.
Re: Clay Bricks by Nobody: 11:44pm On Apr 14, 2012
^ That's not what my builder told me, maybe I misheard. I'll ask again.
Re: Clay Bricks by cheikh: 9:40pm On Mar 03, 2013
Ajanlekoko
But the redbricks are only bought through one company, and are more expensive than concrete?
I think it's just a lack of know-how. Most of the building market is controlled by local artisans.

@^^ Bro, For good quality general artisanal/workmanship, you'll do well to visit Benin R.P.(Porto Novo) and Cotonou. I can recommend an experienced qualified architect/professional builder with good workmen very versed in the art of building with bricks etc. Sincerely our neighbours seem to be more disciplined and better (Artisans)professionalism and at times cheaper too. You may contact-leobardhoenou@yahoo.fr tel: +229943449(mbl.) or +229224376(office). he is from Porto Novo so he speaks Yoruba, English and French of course grin. You don't have to commit yourself to anything but get some good informed advice from an expert. I have actually seen some of his works and he's been featured on French television(TV5). I think he has a web site/facebook too. The more info you can get the better your informed choice. Goodluck wink
Re: Clay Bricks by AjanleKoko: 10:25am On Mar 04, 2013
cheikh: Ajanlekoko

@^^ Bro, For good quality general artisanal/workmanship, you'll do well to visit Benin R.P.(Porto Novo) and Cotonou. I can recommend an experienced qualified architect/professional builder with good workmen very versed in the art of building with bricks etc. Sincerely our neighbours seem to be more disciplined and better (Artisans)professionalism and at times cheaper too. You may contact-leobardhoenou@yahoo.fr tel: +229943449(mbl.) or +229224376(office). he is from Porto Novo so he speaks Yoruba, English and French of course grin. You don't have to commit yourself to anything but get some good informed advice from an expert. I have actually seen some of his works and he's been featured on French television(TV5). I think he has a web site/facebook too. The more info you can get the better your informed choice. Goodluck wink

Thanks, cheikh. I'll definitely look into it.
Agree on the Bennenois, I have one as my mechanic, and he is totally on point wink
Re: Clay Bricks by Nobody: 10:30am On Mar 04, 2013
AjanleKoko:

Thanks, cheikh. I'll definitely look into it.
Agree on the Bennenois, I have one as my mechanic, and he is totally on point wink

Let me know when you find him o. I looked him up on fb but could not find him.
Re: Clay Bricks by cheikh: 5:03am On Mar 05, 2013
naijababe
Let me know when you find him o. I looked him up on fb but could not find him.

@^^ Sorry use his first name Djosse leobard Houenou and when you view his profile, click on the building/house to see pictures of some of his works.
Re: Clay Bricks by cheikh: 5:23am On Mar 05, 2013
Ajanlekoko
Agree on the Bennenois, I have one as my mechanic, and he is totally on point

@^^ Thanks Bro cheesy. most of our Badagry/Seme based Customs&Excise officers service their cars/vehicles across the border because of their professionalism/workmanship.
Our educational system/"planners" are excessively addicted/tuned into "academics" instead of the practical artisanal training that actually build nations. If you happen to visit Porto Novo please check out "Centre Songhai" and compare it to our Naija similar projects. Funny enough, the project was set up /run by a Nigerian Reverend Father- a loss/Brain drain shocked. It is an inspirational place for anyone thinking of setting up a viable farming business etc. It is also on You Tube under Science & Technology.
Re: Clay Bricks by tushbobo(m): 10:43am On Aug 09, 2013
Please do not listen to builders who wrongly advice you not to build with bricks.The main reason they do that is their lack of expertise and experience regarding bricks.

(1) (Reply)

Awesome Building Design / 3 Most Incredible Macabre Home Decor Ideas / See This Modern Four Bedroom Duplex Architectural Design

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.