Stats: 3,149,786 members, 7,806,180 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 12:36 PM

Police Arrests Luxury BusDriver, Others Over Rape Of Schoolgirls At Oke-Odo - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Police Arrests Luxury BusDriver, Others Over Rape Of Schoolgirls At Oke-Odo (8232 Views)

Pastor Arrested Over Rape Of Teenage Girl / Mustapha Audu's Wife Curses Sugabelly; Defends Husband Over Rape Accusations / Abia Government Sacks ASOPADEC Director Over Rape Case (2) (3) (4)

Police Arrests Luxury BusDriver, Others Over Rape Of Schoolgirls At Oke-Odo by BlackPikiN(m): 3:11am On Apr 04, 2012
By KINGSLEY OMONOBI, ALBERT AKPOR, Evelyn Usman & Daud Olatunji
LAGOS — The Ogun State Police Command, yesterday, said it had arrested four suspected members of the robbery gang that attacked Ekene Dili Chukwu luxury bus which was conveying 42 female secondary school students to Lagos, last Saturday, at the Oke-Odo end of Sagamu-Benin Expressway in Ijebu-East Local Government Area of the state.

The arrest was made just as indication emerged, yesterday, that the attack and reported rape on the teenage students could have been averted had the driver of the bus listened to warnings by motorists that robbers were operating ahead.

Consequently, the 52-year-old luxury bus driver, (names withheld) has been arrested and detained by operatives of the State Criminal Investigation Department, Elewe-Eran, Abeokuta.

Sources at the state CID told Vanguard that the driver would remain with them until he cleared the air on the matter.

Driver ignored warning

It was gathered that the gunmen barricaded the highway last Saturday night where they attacked motorists who slowed down on reaching the spot.

Some motorists reportedly suspected danger when they saw a road block ahead and stopped before the barricaded spot as they wondered why there was a road block in spite of its ban. Most of them reportedly remained on the spot, watching the turn out of event when it was apparent that robbers were operating ahead.

Motorists flagged the driver down, informing him of an impending danger ahead. But the driver reportedly ignored them.

Police sources said: “The driver is not new to robbers’ modus operandi and should have stopped to find out what the problem was.”

Suspects nabbed

Confirming the arrest, spokesman for the Ogun State Police Command, Mr Olumuyiwa Adejobi, said: “The Ogun State Police Command has arrested the driver of the luxury bus that conveyed the Enugu students who were attacked by some hoodlums at Ogbere along the ever busy Ijebu/Benin expressway at 11. 40p.m. on Saturday, 31/3/2012 and four others who have been suspected to have carried out the operation.

“The other suspects arrested are Oni Olopari, Innocent Omule, Gbenga Adebayo and Samuel Luca. Driver of the bus has identified Samuel Luca as one of those who attacked them that night.

“In the same vein, the command was able to recover some items in the suspects’ houses at Ijebu Ife and Ijebu Imushin, including some plastic chairs contained in a broken down vehicle at the scene of the robbery, the recovery of these chairs assisted the police to focus more on the suspects who were raided in their hideout at Ijebu Imushin after a tip off. The command is still intensifying efforts to arrest the fleeing members of the gang.”

During investigation, one of the suspects, Lucas, was discovered to have been residing in a military barracks in Ilese area of the the state before he was ejected for an undisclosed offence.

Transport firm blames parents

Meanwhile, the management of Ekene Dili Chukwu Transport Company Limited, in its official reaction three days after the incident said although the attack by armed robbers was regrettable, it, however, blamed the attack on some parents of the students.

The company’s General Manager, Mr. Charles Obiora, in an interview with Vanguard said the second bus sent to convey the stranded students travelled in the night because some parents insisted that their children must be brought to Lagos that night by all means. He stated that the company had a record of cordial relationship with the school and Parents Teachers Association, adding that the company has a standing policy not to travel at night following the spate of insecurity in the country.

…dismisses rape case

The company also dismissed as baseless and unfounded rumours that some students were gang-raped by the hoodlums who hijacked the bus, challenging any parents to show evidence of such from a government certified medical report.

According to Obiora, “the incident is highly regrettable, I must say but again, it will be suicidal for any transport company to send his driver on a long journey with a dysfunctional vehicle, especially that conveying students.

“On that day when we got the report that the bus conveying them to Lagos had developed fault, we promptly dispatched another one in good shape to fetch the stranded students but when we discovered that it was getting late into the night, we got through to the driver to drive them to a safe spot but some parents who were at our Fadeyi park insisted that they would not leave until they set their eyes on their wards.

“This was why the driver continued the journey to Lagos even against our policy. I want to say that the company maintains a 17-year robust relationship with the school and the PTA. Instead of engaging in a media war, parents should help the victims overcome the psychological trauma their wards have suffered from.

“It is true that the bus ran into a gang of armed robbers, but about 17 of the students had disembarked on the order of the hoodlums while they were being searched and robbed of their valuables but at the sight of a patrol van that was on routine patrol of the road, one of the robbers jumped into the bus and zoomed off into the bush not too far from the scene of incident.

“The vehicle and the remaining 25 students on board were later recovered where they were abandoned. I can tell you that nobody was raped and I challenge any parent who said his or her daughter was raped to come up with a medical report from a government hospital to that effect.”

Ig orders police motorized patrols on highways

Meantime, the Inspector General of Police, Mr Mohammed Abubakar, has ordered motorised police patrol of the nation’s highways to check incidences of banditry.

He said his decision to dismantle road blocks, which gave rise to incidences of toll collection, harassment of citizens on highways and other gory tales earlier associated with Police road blocks, was part of measures to reposition the police force.

However, based on fears expressed by some sections of the populace, the IG said: “All commands shall, with immediate effect, commence robust motorized patrols of federal highways within their jurisdictions to ensure safety and easy passage of road users. Nigerians travelling on our highways must have confidence of their safety with visible Police patrols.”

He said the command’s efforts would be complemented by a sophisticated Rapid Response Structure, which would be set up soon, to ensure that all federal highways were kept safe from armed robbery attacks, both during the day and at night.

The IG observed that Boko Haram attacks on Police personnel and other security agencies had reduced following measures put in place by Command CPs in the North East to reduce the level of casualty among, not only security personnel, but also Nigerians.

Abubakar, who spoke while at a conference he summoned for DIGs and Command CPs, also noted that the police force was going scientific in its bid to address the daunting challenges posed by criminals and criminality, especially now that criminals in all sectors were resorting to the use of ICT and other technologies to beat detection and arrest.

His words: “In the past few weeks, we have taken steps to reposition the force and provide a new direction for Police administration and operations.

“We believe that the steps we have taken so far are germane and will lay a strong foundation for a cohesive reform initiative which we hope will transform the Nigeria Police Force.

“This is exemplified in the enforcement of the directives I issued upon my assumption of office for the dismantling of road blocks, fight against corruption, decongestion of cells and other initiatives we introduced.

“Today, stories of toll collection, harassment of citizens on highways and other gory tales earlier associated with the police road blocks, no longer confront us. The road blocks have disappeared and I intend the situation to remain so.

“Although, the Nigerian public is apprehensive about the general loneliness of our highways with fears expressed about the possibility of armed robbers taking them over, I believe we shall keep our highways safe from armed robbers without restoring the old police road blocks.”

As reported by Vanguard, yesterday, shortly before the meeting commenced, Deputy Inspector General of Police in charge of Administration, Mr Suleiman Fakai, asked one of the newly promoted Assistant Inspector General of Police, Philemon Leha, to step out as no AIG was expected to be present at the deliberation.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/04/luxury-bus-attack-police-arrest-robbery-rape-suspects-driver/
Re: Police Arrests Luxury BusDriver, Others Over Rape Of Schoolgirls At Oke-Odo by bashr8: 4:23am On Apr 04, 2012
dismisses violation case

The company also dismissed as baseless and unfounded rumours that some students were gang-violated by the hoodlums who hijacked the bus, challenging any parents to show evidence of such from a government certified medical report.

i hope no one was violated cus this is the part that really bothers me
Re: Police Arrests Luxury BusDriver, Others Over Rape Of Schoolgirls At Oke-Odo by Callotti: 4:28am On Apr 04, 2012
Operation 'open ya poohsie' for the court please! grin
Makes perfect sense. Any lady who has been r-aped should tender a police report.
Stigma or not. kiss
I want to see the pictures of the violated poohsies myself.
I am a cerrrified, credentialed poohsie examiner. cool
Re: Police Arrests Luxury BusDriver, Others Over Rape Of Schoolgirls At Oke-Odo by Olaolufred(m): 8:10am On Apr 04, 2012
If the parent of the violated girl is sure, then let them sue EKENEDILICHUKWU in billions with their certified medical record as Obiora suggested.
If not, then Obiora may be right.
The ball is the parent's court to prove Obiora wrong.
As for the arrest and driver's identification of Luca,nice work.
Re: Police Arrests Luxury BusDriver, Others Over Rape Of Schoolgirls At Oke-Odo by finadarlin(f): 2:13pm On Apr 04, 2012
i really really hope none was raped, it wuld b too traumatizing on those innocent children n @calloti i hope u realize that dis is not a joke
Re: Police Arrests Luxury BusDriver, Others Over Rape Of Schoolgirls At Oke-Odo by moderattor: 2:13pm On Apr 04, 2012
the rape has been done already - forgive and move on.
Re: Police Arrests Luxury BusDriver, Others Over Rape Of Schoolgirls At Oke-Odo by antartica(m): 2:20pm On Apr 04, 2012
It is the duty of the police to confirm whether they were raped or not with SEMEN and DNA analysis not the parents.

It is a crime and the are main to police prevent and solve crimes.Aswell as bring criminals to justice.
Re: Police Arrests Luxury BusDriver, Others Over Rape Of Schoolgirls At Oke-Odo by prince4pro(m): 2:28pm On Apr 04, 2012
This naija self,i don't no wen u we get better nd save
Re: Police Arrests Luxury BusDriver, Others Over Rape Of Schoolgirls At Oke-Odo by Nobody: 2:28pm On Apr 04, 2012
Callotti: Operation 'open ya poohsie' for the court please! grin
Makes perfect sense. Any lady who has been r-aped should tender a police report.
Stigma or not. kiss

Lasinoh aka Blazay na wah for dis ya yeye funny mouth oooooo! grin grin grin
Chei! You too funny gan!!
Re: Police Arrests Luxury BusDriver, Others Over Rape Of Schoolgirls At Oke-Odo by Olaolufred(m): 2:31pm On Apr 04, 2012
moderattor: the rape has been done already - forgive and move on.
Easy to forgive, but hard to forget.
Pray they don't get infected.
If they aren't raped, I'll say "Thank God"
But if we stopped at forgiving and forgetting it, then 1000 others would suffer same.
Remember, Goodluck said after 2010 oct.1st bombing in Abuja that Nigerians should keep calm, as bombings do occur elsewhere in the world. Because nothing decisive was done, you know how it's been just after two years.
Pray it won't be someone so close to you next time.
Re: Police Arrests Luxury BusDriver, Others Over Rape Of Schoolgirls At Oke-Odo by chines4(m): 2:36pm On Apr 04, 2012
Stigma or not. kiss

This is not a laughing matter for God's sake.
Re: Police Arrests Luxury BusDriver, Others Over Rape Of Schoolgirls At Oke-Odo by snthesis(m): 2:37pm On Apr 04, 2012
am i missing sumtin?
y is the transport coy rep so sure that the girls weren't raped, did he organise the raid
Re: Police Arrests Luxury BusDriver, Others Over Rape Of Schoolgirls At Oke-Odo by theviper1: 2:44pm On Apr 04, 2012
we nigerians are quick to blame others 4 our faults and errors.bt the main problem we have as nigerians is that we are always in a tearing hurry going to no where.(there is this saying in my place that a rat caught in a trap has come to the end of its journey).maybe this ugly incidence may not have occured if those "showoff" parents had allowed the management of the transport company to handle the issue themselves initially instead of mounting pressure on them.this is the outcome of such unwarranted meddling.bt i really hope that those kids were really not violated and a bigup to the cops if they have actually gotten some of those theives. and @callotti,u sound more callous than anything and insensitive to say the least.keep ur childish jokes for ur monkey friends.these kids were traumatised and here u are,writing like the fool that u are.hell! u really sound like one of the violators.
Re: Police Arrests Luxury BusDriver, Others Over Rape Of Schoolgirls At Oke-Odo by gegee(m): 2:46pm On Apr 04, 2012
Stigma or not. kiss

i don't think u'll make fun of this if ur sisiter was involved

Re: Police Arrests Luxury BusDriver, Others Over Rape Of Schoolgirls At Oke-Odo by kettykin: 2:48pm On Apr 04, 2012
Penalty for rape is 27 years if Almustapha is givien death sentence for a crime he has already suffered in Prison for , why will rapist be forgiven for God's Sake The traditional Ruler in Osun state and the Ogun rapist and the Teacher caught on top of a pepil should be given 21 years minimum sentence . failure to do that then raping should be legalised
Re: Police Arrests Luxury BusDriver, Others Over Rape Of Schoolgirls At Oke-Odo by kettykin: 2:58pm On Apr 04, 2012
By the way how on earth wil Human beings rape underaged girls even in this morally bankrupt sociey where prostitution is the other of the day.
My take is that the Armed Robbers/Rapist should be killed first they should be tried fro armed robbery and then for raping underaged girls , i now know why Nigeria has not really made much progress despite the efforts of a few
Re: Police Arrests Luxury BusDriver, Others Over Rape Of Schoolgirls At Oke-Odo by Fhemmmy: 3:03pm On Apr 04, 2012
bashr8: dismisses violation case

The company also dismissed as baseless and unfounded rumours that some students were gang-violated by the hoodlums who hijacked the bus, challenging any parents to show evidence of such from a government certified medical report.

i hope no one was violated cus this is the part that really bothers me

I have wondered how all the 42 kids were violated all along . . hope this will show that it was not the case
Re: Police Arrests Luxury BusDriver, Others Over Rape Of Schoolgirls At Oke-Odo by omar22(m): 3:11pm On Apr 04, 2012
Transport firm blames parents

Meanwhile, the management of Ekene Dili Chukwu Transport Company Limited, in its official reaction three days after the incident said although the attack by armed robbers was regrettable, it, however, blamed the attack on some parents of the students.

The company’s General Manager, Mr. Charles Obiora, in an interview with Vanguard said the second bus sent to convey the stranded students travelled in the night because some parents insisted that their children must be brought to Lagos that night by all means. He stated that the company had a record of cordial relationship with the school and Parents Teachers Association, adding that the company has a standing policy not to travel at night following the spate of insecurity in the country.

Case closed
Re: Police Arrests Luxury BusDriver, Others Over Rape Of Schoolgirls At Oke-Odo by 3kay945(m): 3:11pm On Apr 04, 2012
if they werent violated, how come a student said she was saved because of menstral cycle? or the reporter of PUNCH form it up by himself
Re: Police Arrests Luxury BusDriver, Others Over Rape Of Schoolgirls At Oke-Odo by cynthiafred67(f): 3:23pm On Apr 04, 2012
^^^^^ was just about to ask the same question.
Re: Police Arrests Luxury BusDriver, Others Over Rape Of Schoolgirls At Oke-Odo by Olaolufred(m): 3:54pm On Apr 04, 2012
cynthiafred67: ^^^^^ was just about to ask the same question.

According to one of the girls interviewed,

Not all were raped. It was a random selection, probably from shape and build-up of the victims.
She said they were told to remove their clothings. They now come to check their PP with torch.
Their visual examination result determines whether she(girl being examined) will be let go or molested.

But Obiora (spokesperson for Ekenedilichukwu) said the girls and their parents lied.
A very good case starts from here.
Evidences will be provided by both party. But I pray our legal system won't just collect Kola from the background leaving the girls forever traumatized.
Remember, some of these girls may chose never to step this country again when they grow older to travel out.
Experiences like this makes people take hard and harsh decisions.
Re: Police Arrests Luxury BusDriver, Others Over Rape Of Schoolgirls At Oke-Odo by lond07: 4:21pm On Apr 04, 2012
Stigma or not. kiss

This is grossly irresponsible
Re: Police Arrests Luxury BusDriver, Others Over Rape Of Schoolgirls At Oke-Odo by lond07: 4:30pm On Apr 04, 2012
omar22:

Case closed

The coy I believe remain culpable. Tell me why do they have policies in place in the 1st place. Why should the parents takeover decision making and the manager has the effrontery to shout out that the parents decided the bus must arrive Lagos at all cost.

This excuse holds no water. The manager should be sacked and the coy made to face the music
Re: Police Arrests Luxury BusDriver, Others Over Rape Of Schoolgirls At Oke-Odo by deshclones(m): 4:59pm On Apr 04, 2012
pDude:

Lasinoh aka Blazay na wah for dis ya yeye funny mouth oooooo! grin grin grin
Chei! You too funny gan!!

This is not a laughing matter for God's sake.

This is grossly irresponsible

i don't think u'll make fun of this if ur sisiter was involved

kindly pay this certified factory fitted crackhead no heed......just ignore her.
Re: Police Arrests Luxury BusDriver, Others Over Rape Of Schoolgirls At Oke-Odo by omar22(m): 7:13pm On Apr 04, 2012
The coy I believe remain culpable. Tell me why do they have policies in place in the 1st place. Why should the parents takeover decision making and the manager has the effrontery to shout out that the parents decided the bus must arrive Lagos at all cost.

This excuse holds no water. The manager should be sacked and the coy made to face the music

Sacking the driver would be based on the fact that other drivers warned him before he proceed into the road block

But the Parent suing the transport firm? that case would be thrown out of court.
Re: Police Arrests Luxury BusDriver, Others Over Rape Of Schoolgirls At Oke-Odo by onyewec3: 7:17pm On Apr 04, 2012
Stigma or not. kiss

U stink,u puSsy driven crazy maniac.I wuldnt b surprise if u re part of the hoodlums dat molested the innocent minors.ur coment shows u are gay.smelling pig!
Re: Police Arrests Luxury BusDriver, Others Over Rape Of Schoolgirls At Oke-Odo by HighChief4(m): 7:29pm On Apr 04, 2012
Stigma or not. kiss

So when are you tendering your own police report?
Re: Police Arrests Luxury BusDriver, Others Over Rape Of Schoolgirls At Oke-Odo by Kachi01: 7:40pm On Apr 04, 2012
I am ashamed of this so called Ekene dili Chukwu general manager. His coments shows that he cares for nothing other than money. One of the girls confirmed the violation on leadership news paper and here is he demanding medical report from the parents. All these transport coys always take their customers for granted.
Re: Police Arrests Luxury BusDriver, Others Over Rape Of Schoolgirls At Oke-Odo by Tropilo(m): 11:34pm On Apr 04, 2012
snthesis: am i missing sumtin?
y is the transport coy rep so sure that the girls weren't raped, did he organise the raid

Why are you so convinced that they were molested, are you part of the gang?
From Obiora's explanation. He said a patrol van came and the hoodlums fled. So no time for molestation. Besides he must have talked with his driver and conductor.
Re: Police Arrests Luxury BusDriver, Others Over Rape Of Schoolgirls At Oke-Odo by Tropilo(m): 11:44pm On Apr 04, 2012
@snthesis: my apologies, pls!
Re: Police Arrests Luxury BusDriver, Others Over Rape Of Schoolgirls At Oke-Odo by uneeking(m): 2:55am On Apr 05, 2012
[quote][/quote]New Post (Police Arrests Luxury BusDriver, Others Over Molestation Of Schoolgirls At Oke-Odo)

I came across this info on the topic. Please read here:
[url][/url]http://www.thenigerianvoice.com/nvnews/86647//our-ordeal-by-schoolgirls-raped-by-robbers.html

Why do we always run away from the truth? angry
Re: Police Arrests Luxury BusDriver, Others Over Rape Of Schoolgirls At Oke-Odo by revolt(m): 8:14am On Apr 05, 2012
Pls how do u fathom this? A gang of congy filled hoodlums robbing at night all high on weed then a bus filled with fresh females only falls into their hands and they simply collect phones and etc then let the fresh meat gurls go free!!! Pls some ppl here dey tire me

16-Month-Old Boy Stolen From A Church In Imo State.. / Easycash Loan App New Strategies / Serial Rapist Lanre Jason Onabowale Regains Freedom From London Prison

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64