Nairaland Forum

Welcome, Guest: Join Nairaland / Login / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 1248151 members, 1666053 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 October 2014 at 03:31 PM

Breaking News : Cosmos Rays Visits Earth From Mars Tonight By 12:30am To 3:30 - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Breaking News : Cosmos Rays Visits Earth From Mars Tonight By 12:30am To 3:30 (966790 Views)

NASA Scientists Finds Message From God On Planet Mars / Cosmic Rays Entering Earth From Mars 2nite.pls Switch Off Ur Fone Tonight! / Cosmic Rays To Enter The Earth From The Mars (Rumour) (1) (2) (3) (4)

(0) (1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Breaking News : Cosmos Rays Visits Earth From Mars Tonight By 12:30am To 3:30 by ambrosini593(m): 9:29pm On Apr 04, 2012
Cosmos rays are entering earth tonight from mars.pls switch off your mobile at night, don't keep your phone with you. The rays are dangerous. NASA BBC NEWS

1 Like

Re: Breaking News : Cosmos Rays Visits Earth From Mars Tonight By 12:30am To 3:30 by ultraed: 12:10am On Apr 05, 2012
dude, just shut ur blow holes there.. planets dnt emit cosmic rays or cosmo rays, the stars and sun do because they are made up of burning gases.. seriosly, u entered d internet 2 paste dis ridiculous thing wifout research? anyways, that rumor is so last three years.. get over it!!!!!!!!

9 Likes

Re: Breaking News : Cosmos Rays Visits Earth From Mars Tonight By 12:30am To 3:30 by ultraed: 12:17am On Apr 05, 2012
and besides, it came up again dis year cos of april fool's day.. guess the mastermind behind the news shud be the winner of april fools day cos thousands got snagged..

1 Like

Re: Breaking News : Cosmos Rays Visits Earth From Mars Tonight By 12:30am To 3:30 by Sagytarius(m): 7:58pm On Aug 15, 2012
Courtesy of MTN 's free SMS. People no longer know what to do with them; rather they begin to propagate BS. I'm also getting this gist about a Sanitary Pad that makes femmes bleed when they put it on. Rumour mongers!

1 Like

Re: Breaking News : Cosmos Rays Visits Earth From Mars Tonight By 12:30am To 3:30 by dplordx(m): 9:55pm On Aug 15, 2012
Rays or Holyghost Fire grin
Whats the difference. Aint that what y'all keep asking God to send down from Heaven.
Nigerians are phucken superstitious. Make person hear word jare....Ehn, my lappy nko? And internet connection?
Mtschew!
Re: Breaking News : Cosmos Rays Visits Earth From Mars Tonight By 12:30am To 3:30 by Angel778(f): 10:08pm On Aug 15, 2012
ultraed: dude, just shut ur blow holes there.. planets dnt emit cosmic rays or cosmo rays, the stars and sun do because they are made up of burning gases.. seriosly, u entered d internet 2 paste dis ridiculous thing wifout research? anyways, that rumor is so last three years.. get over it!!!!!!!!
God bless u. I am tired of educating people concerning this ooo, and some keep sending d message to cause unneccesary panic to people. People should learn to confirm news b4 spreadng. And funny, noting like dat on BBC News.

2 Likes

Re: Breaking News : Cosmos Rays Visits Earth From Mars Tonight By 12:30am To 3:30 by lyonck5: 10:17pm On Aug 15, 2012
I DONT KNOW WHY NAIJA IS SUCH A FERTILE SOIL FOR PROPAGANDA! AND SOME OF THESE SILLY TEXTS ACTUALLY STIR UP CHAOS AT TIMES PLS PEOPLE BE MORE WISE NOT JUST MONEY WISE, EACH TIME THE MASSES WORRY OVER SILLY STUFF LIKE THIS GUESS WHAT! OUR TELECOM OPERATORS GET A LOT RICHER$$$.
Re: Breaking News : Cosmos Rays Visits Earth From Mars Tonight By 12:30am To 3:30 by stunnaf: 10:20pm On Aug 15, 2012
Cosmic rays come from
astrophysical sources in outer space.
They do not come from planets.
Re: Breaking News : Cosmos Rays Visits Earth From Mars Tonight By 12:30am To 3:30 by Benito69(m): 10:22pm On Aug 15, 2012
Ah! i thought the sun was the only planetary body that's into the cosmic ray business, i see Mars as also joined....Cosmic rays grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Breaking News : Cosmos Rays Visits Earth From Mars Tonight By 12:30am To 3:30 by lanetrips: 10:27pm On Aug 15, 2012
I got this text 4years ago
Re: Breaking News : Cosmos Rays Visits Earth From Mars Tonight By 12:30am To 3:30 by udemzyudex(m): 10:32pm On Aug 15, 2012
source?
Re: Breaking News : Cosmos Rays Visits Earth From Mars Tonight By 12:30am To 3:30 by udemzyudex(m): 10:33pm On Aug 15, 2012
this is just a rumour
journeytothestars.wordpress.com/2012/04/07/hoax-alert-cosmic-rays-from-mars-entering-earth/
Re: Breaking News : Cosmos Rays Visits Earth From Mars Tonight By 12:30am To 3:30 by udemzyudex(m): 10:34pm On Aug 15, 2012
Re: Breaking News : Cosmos Rays Visits Earth From Mars Tonight By 12:30am To 3:30 by phemmy1505: 10:38pm On Aug 15, 2012
Cosmic rays are pieces of atoms, flying through space at incredible speeds.
Sometimes they hit Earth, and some of them even hit you.
About 30 cosmic rays fly through your body every second.We don’t know where all the cosmic rays come from. The Sun emits low energy cosmic rays, typically accompanying solar flares. But even if every star in the known universe created cosmic rays in a similar manner, they would only explain a fraction of them.
Re: Breaking News : Cosmos Rays Visits Earth From Mars Tonight By 12:30am To 3:30 by Xtonalex(m): 10:40pm On Aug 15, 2012
"These rumors have been circulating for a while nw:that "cosmic rays from Mars are entering Earth tonight so we need to switch off our phones, orput them away from us.
Tonight 12:30 am to 3:30 am cosmo rays entering earth from mars. So switch off your mobile at night. Don’t keep your cell with you & put it away while you are sleeping because theyare too much dangerous rays: NASA informs BBC NEWS. Pls spread this news".
The message above is clearly nothing more than just another HOAX . I don’t know why people are circulating panic messages such as this to disturb the lives of other people. From what I have noticed, this message has been circulating since 2008 and it suddenly reappeared today, 14 April 2012. I also received text messages containing this false inforation. Doin my own research, I have found no credible reports that confirm the claims in the warning message. There are no references to such a threat listed on credible scientific websites. I also checked the NASA and BBC news today to see if they have posted something like this. Fortunately, both have never said such a thing and will never probablyproduce a similar baseless statement.
Despite the claim in the message, there are several reasons to say that this information is untrue.
First, Mars could not emit harmful radiation because it is not a star. Cosmic rays are emitted by stars. i.e bodies that are undergoing nuclear reactions that is fusion (as occurs in our sun) or fission (as occurs in nuclear reactors). Mars is neither. It is a planet that just reflects sunlight. It cannot emit cosmic radiation.
Next, with regards to these rays the earth’s atmosphere is capable of taking care of them so no need to worry. The magnetosphere absorbs and protects us from the sun’s harmful radiation. Whatever remains is too feeble to affect any thing as far as earth.
The Earth’s magnetosphere prevents most of the particles from the Sun, carried in the solar wind, from hitting the Earth. Image credit: milesmathis.com
Another thing is that we are actually hit by cosmic rays every day — all day (and night too). If it was going to hurt your cell, then it would have already fried it by now.
Sometimes magnetic storms on the sun will fry the electronics of satellites in orbit, and may also blow out the power grid in high latitudes near the Earth’s magnetic poles, but other than static, I don’t see what it might do to your cell phones.
So, to anyone who will receive this kind of message, please think it over and help educate others. Spreading dubious and unsubstantiated warnings such as this is counterproductive and is unlikely to help anyone".

1 Like

Re: Breaking News : Cosmos Rays Visits Earth From Mars Tonight By 12:30am To 3:30 by phemmy1505: 10:45pm On Aug 15, 2012
Hoax Alert: Cosmic Rays from Mars Entering Earth

There have been rumors circulating that cosmic rays from Mars are entering Earth tonight so we need to switch off our phones, or put them away from us.

Tonight 12:30 am to 3:30 am cosmo rays entering earth from mars. So switch off your mobile at night. Don’t keep your cell with you & put it away while you are sleeping because they are too much dangerous rays: NASA informs BBC NEWS. Pls spread this news.

The message above is clearly nothing more than just another HOAX. I don’t know why people are circulating panic messages such as this to disturb the lives of other people. From what I have noticed, this message has been circulating since 2008 and it suddenly reappeared today, 15 August 2012. I also received text messages containing this false information and saw similar Facebook posts.

I did my own research and I have found no credible reports that confirm the claims in the warning message. There are no references to such a threat listed on credible scientific websites. I also checked the NASA and BBC news today to see if they have posted something like this. Fortunately, both have never said such a thing and will never probably produce a similar baseless statement.

Despite the claim in the message, there are several reasons to say that this information is untrue.

First, Mars could not emit harmful radiation because it is not a star. Cosmic rays are emitted by stars. i.e bodies that are undergoing nuclear reactions that is fusion (as occurs in our sun) or fission (as occurs in nuclear reactors). Mars is neither. It is a planet that just reflects sunlight. It cannot emit cosmic radiation.

Next, with regards to these rays the earth’s atmosphere is capable of taking care of them so no need to worry. The magnetosphere absorbs and protects us from the sun’s harmful radiation. Whatever remains is too feeble to affect any thing as far as earth.

The Earth’s magnetosphere prevents most of the particles from the Sun, carried in the solar wind, from hitting the Earth. Image credit: milesmathis.com

Another thing is that we are actually hit by cosmic rays every day — all day (and night too). If it was going to hurt your cell, then it would have already fried it by now.

Sometimes magnetic storms on the sun will fry the electronics of satellites in orbit, and may also blow out the power grid in high latitudes near the Earth’s magnetic poles, but other than static, I don’t see what it might do to your cell phones.

So, to anyone who will receive this kind of message, please think it over and help educate others. smiley Spreading dubious and unsubstantiated warnings such as this is counterproductive and is unlikely to help anyone.

Learn more about cosmic rays from this NASA website. NOTE: HOAX SIMPLY MEAN RUMOR
Re: Breaking News : Cosmos Rays Visits Earth From Mars Tonight By 12:30am To 3:30 by mcleuiz: 10:53pm On Aug 15, 2012
lyonck5: I DONT KNOW WHY NAIJA IS SUCH A FERTILE SOIL FOR PROPAGANDA! AND SOME OF THESE SILLY TEXTS ACTUALLY STIR UP CHAOS AT TIMES PLS PEOPLE BE MORE WISE NOT JUST MONEY WISE, EACH TIME THE MASSES WORRY OVER SILLY STUFF LIKE THIS GUESS WHAT! OUR TELECOM OPERATORS GET A LOT RICHER$$$.

Another line of thought would be that these silly texts could even originate from marketing staff of these telecom operators in the bid max $$$ knowing that Naija is so fertile for propaganda as u said..... In no later than 10min, I got this text from friends in over 20 different states. How sad people pass on info easily without trying to verify the authenticity/meaning in it.
Re: Breaking News : Cosmos Rays Visits Earth From Mars Tonight By 12:30am To 3:30 by obawalter(m): 10:55pm On Aug 15, 2012
Due to violet rays from mercury which is said to affect the throat; pls do NOT swallow between 12midnight till 5am tomorrow. Please do NOT swallow anything including your saliva!

1 Like

Re: Breaking News : Cosmos Rays Visits Earth From Mars Tonight By 12:30am To 3:30 by Orlingo: 10:57pm On Aug 15, 2012
Angel_777: God bless u. I am tired of educating people concerning this ooo, and some keep sending d message to cause unneccesary panic to people. People should learn to confirm news b4 spreadng. And funny, noting like dat on BBC News.
Olodo lyk u..didnt u do RADIOACTIVITY in physics n chemis3?
Re: Breaking News : Cosmos Rays Visits Earth From Mars Tonight By 12:30am To 3:30 by nanizle(m): 11:13pm On Aug 15, 2012
Who is the slowpoke that posted this? Did you even bother to verify this crap you posted? Breaking news ko... Breaking news ni...
Re: Breaking News : Cosmos Rays Visits Earth From Mars Tonight By 12:30am To 3:30 by Dawdy(m): 11:13pm On Aug 15, 2012
people realy need education.
Re: Breaking News : Cosmos Rays Visits Earth From Mars Tonight By 12:30am To 3:30 by kazzyworld: 11:18pm On Aug 15, 2012
Life on the Earth's surface is protected from galactic cosmic rays by a number of factors:

The Earth's atmosphere is opaque to primary cosmic rays with energies below about 1 GeV, so only secondary radiation can reach the surface. The secondary radiation is also attenuated by absorption in the atmosphere, as well as by radioactive decay in flight of some particles, such as muons. Particles entering from a direction close to the horizon are especially attenuated. The world's population receives an average of 0.4 mSv of cosmic radiation annually (separate from other sources of radiation exposure like inhaled radon) due to atmospheric shielding. At 15 km altitude, above most of the atmosphere's protection, radiation dose as an annual rate rises to 20 milli-Sieverts (mSv) at the equator to 50 - 120 mSv at the poles, varying between solar maximum and minimum conditions...

Google search 4 more...

u posted this trash without verifying... GOAT..
Re: Breaking News : Cosmos Rays Visits Earth From Mars Tonight By 12:30am To 3:30 by Tingles(m): 11:29pm On Aug 15, 2012
I remember that night in 2008, I was in 300L and I was supposed to have a paper the following day. I left night class because people refused to switch off their phones and on getting home, my crazy roomate had collected our hostel mates' phones and refused to switch them off. . .we slept with those phones left on and we didn't die.

It is nothing but a recycled rumour.
Re: Breaking News : Cosmos Rays Visits Earth From Mars Tonight By 12:30am To 3:30 by Fash20: 11:37pm On Aug 15, 2012
ultraed: dude, just shut ur blow holes there.. planets dnt emit cosmic rays or cosmo rays, the stars and sun do because they are made up of burning gases.. seriosly, u entered d internet 2 paste dis ridiculous thing wifout research? anyways, that rumor is so last three years.. get over it!!!!!!!!
shut dat pit u called mouth. Dats a fact
Re: Breaking News : Cosmos Rays Visits Earth From Mars Tonight By 12:30am To 3:30 by Fash20: 11:41pm On Aug 15, 2012
obawalter: Due to violet rays from mercury which is said to affect the throat; pls do NOT swallow between 12midnight till 5am tomorrow. Please do NOT swallow anything including your saliva!
nawa 4 u oooooo. Chai
Re: Breaking News : Cosmos Rays Visits Earth From Mars Tonight By 12:30am To 3:30 by DAMIGHT(m): 11:57pm On Aug 15, 2012
PLEASE DNT LET US REMAIN FOOL AT NIGERIA ..LET US LEARN HOW TO USE BONUS ESPECIALLY SMS.,I NOTICE !! WEN EVER DIA IS SMS BONUS 4RM OUR SERVICE PROUIDER IN NIGERIA WE DO ALWAYS MISS USE IT ..INSTEAD 4 US 2 USE 2 PASS REASONABLE INFORMATION DAT WILL BENEFIT OUR LIFE WE RANTHER USE IT 2 PASS ACROSS RUMUOR AND INUENTED FABLE BY SOME ENEMIES OF PROGRESS... PLEASE LET US STOP DIS. LET US LEARN HOW TO KNW OR FIND INFORMATION SOURCE..DNT JOIN DEM 2 SPREAD SUCH UNCOMFIRM NEWS..IF DIA IS ANY TINZ U WNT 2 KNW SERCH GOOGLE AND LEARN 2 SEARCH.. ..GO http://m.bbc.co.uk/news 4 more news on cosmic ray... Cosmic ray is A highly energetic atomic nucleus or other particle traveling through space at a speed approaching that of light..A stream of ionizing radiation of extraterrestrial origin, consisting chiefly of protons, alpha particles, and other atomic nuclei but including some high-energy electrons, that enters the atmosphere, collides with atomic nuclei, and produces secondary radiation, principally pions, muons, electrons, and gamma rays.
Re: Breaking News : Cosmos Rays Visits Earth From Mars Tonight By 12:30am To 3:30 by topsy1971: 12:25am On Aug 16, 2012
This rumour is sponsored by armed-robbers and their godfathers to enable them operate successfully in their targeted areas. If people should comply by switching off their phones, nobody will be able to contact security operatives during their excapades. My phone is always 24 hour on and it will always be! This is a hoax and well planned rumour. If you put off your phone, you might pay dearly for it.
Re: Breaking News : Cosmos Rays Visits Earth From Mars Tonight By 12:30am To 3:30 by dsylvo(m): 1:17am On Aug 16, 2012
Fake news from fake people and circulated by illiterates.
Re: Breaking News : Cosmos Rays Visits Earth From Mars Tonight By 12:30am To 3:30 by hardmanvicky(m): 1:24am On Aug 16, 2012
still watin for cosmo ray. Weda my phone will b d first to get fried lyk chicken
Re: Breaking News : Cosmos Rays Visits Earth From Mars Tonight By 12:30am To 3:30 by hardmanvicky(m): 1:27am On Aug 16, 2012
u suppose say evry electronic gadgets. Ok? Next time u one spread rumours make it more genuine, real and sensible
Re: Breaking News : Cosmos Rays Visits Earth From Mars Tonight By 12:30am To 3:30 by hardmanvicky(m): 1:31am On Aug 16, 2012
Orlingo: Olodo lyk u..didnt u do RADIOACTIVITY in physics n chemis3?
orlingo. U r d olodo. Go read abt cosmic wella
Re: Breaking News : Cosmos Rays Visits Earth From Mars Tonight By 12:30am To 3:30 by reykhindri(m): 8:36pm On Nov 18, 2013
cosmos rays what is this

(0) (1) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 75 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (0) (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2014 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See Nairalist and How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.