Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,580 members, 7,809,106 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:17 PM

Do You Think Nigeria Can Actually Get Better? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Do You Think Nigeria Can Actually Get Better? (8525 Views)

Christian Association Of Nigeria (CAN) Denies N7b Bribery Allegation / Can Nigeria Actually Get Better? You Are Being Deceived! / Question: Did Sudan Actually Get Indepedence Before Ghana? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do You Think Nigeria Can Actually Get Better? by vevcommedia(m): 2:45pm On Apr 05, 2012
I have been fortunate to see different countries. In nigeria, there is a common misconception that one day it will get better, one day this, one day that. I don't share that view, The truth is most people here don't even know what they are missing, they don't see the extent nigeria has become a failed state. One thing about we human beings in general is we like to hope and hope, and believe in the future, not our fault, but just the nature of man. Many people don't see how the developed counties are screwing with us everyday. Do you think our not having industries are just the fault of our leaders? Do you know the leaders are placed there by other powerful nation? There is the popular lady here from IMF, collecting awards abroad, yet people here suffer with her policies.

You also go to churches, and see people praying for nigeria, yet many fail to see that even the religious institution of us "closing eyes and praying" was brought about by the colonial masters. They on the other hand, sit and critically examine their social issues. Most of those social issues have been dumped on us. In truth it's a vicious circle, and it is almost impossible for nigeria, and many other 3rd world countries to actually get better. They need us suffering so they can enjoy a life of luxury (Someone has to do the dirty work).

Hopefully (i know, but what can i do, but hope also), one day, we will have good leaders who are strong enough to fight against their exploitation policies.
Interested in your views.

1 Like

Re: Do You Think Nigeria Can Actually Get Better? by Brixtonyute(m): 2:52pm On Apr 05, 2012
Nigerian people make up the country. If the people can get better, then the country would.

The question should be: "can Nigerian people get better?" I don't know because I see too many clowns on here daily, and that's not a good look. undecided
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Can Actually Get Better? by vevcommedia(m): 2:58pm On Apr 05, 2012
for nigerians to get better, we need education, for education, we need government spending on education, for that, we need good leaders... when is the last time we had good leaders? Not one imposed by western democracies? And anyway, if we get good graduates, better nations just lure them off with a better life, and i really don't blame them for leaving...

1 Like

Re: Do You Think Nigeria Can Actually Get Better? by Gbawe: 3:55pm On Apr 05, 2012
@OP.

I think Nigeria can get better and in fact trends in evolution means we will ultimately fashion out a decent nation from our mistakes. As you noted, education is key. Where Nigeria is failing currently is that our education system is not developing solutions providers and a general population capable of progressive thinking. Instead it is producing robots who are conventionally educated yet unable to think deeply or effectively about anything.

Nigeria needs an education system that will ensure that majority of those churned out eventually are practical, capable of critical thinking, mentally sophisticated and understanding of the direct correlation between a problem and the logical solution that will be required to tackle that particular problem.
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Can Actually Get Better? by pafm247: 4:00pm On Apr 05, 2012
why not with square pegs in square holes...

1 Like

Re: Do You Think Nigeria Can Actually Get Better? by Soskid(m): 4:02pm On Apr 05, 2012
There is just d need for us to change our perception at to what change actually is...... Most Nigerians believe changes can be effected with their arms folded and their legs crossed. We need to break away from the shackles of colonialism cos directly or indirectly we are still been colonised.
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Can Actually Get Better? by Fhemmmy: 4:03pm On Apr 05, 2012
Yes, Nigeria can get better, but the people have to get better, cos without the people, it is a great nation but no nation without the people

1 Like

Re: Do You Think Nigeria Can Actually Get Better? by buzugee(m): 4:05pm On Apr 05, 2012
yeah when pigs fly
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Can Actually Get Better? by Nobody: 4:12pm On Apr 05, 2012
Fhemmmy: Yes, Nigeria can get better, but the people have to get better, cos without the people, it is a great nation but no nation without the people
Sorry sir, what did you just say?

1 Like

Re: Do You Think Nigeria Can Actually Get Better? by Sirmuell(m): 4:14pm On Apr 05, 2012
With the way things are going, Nigeria can and will never get better! Nigeria will only get better if the country divides into two or three separate entities(countries) that's the first step towards progress but if we keep managing in ignorance then development will forever be a fairy tale to Nigeria! Years to come you will come to see that the division of Nigeria is inevitable.
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Can Actually Get Better? by maclatunji: 4:17pm On Apr 05, 2012
If those who were consciously living in Nigeria in the 60s and 70s did not think Nigeria could go bad, there is every probability that Nigeria will get better even if many of us do not think so.

I am one of those that think Nigeria will get there in no distant time, even our leaders are getting tired of messing-up it seems.
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Can Actually Get Better? by saddler: 4:32pm On Apr 05, 2012
Nigeria cant get better until we take å look at d rate our population is increasing and d no of fools and nonentities are increasing arithmetically.

1 Like

Re: Do You Think Nigeria Can Actually Get Better? by emsquare(m): 4:32pm On Apr 05, 2012
vevcom media: for nigerians to get better, we need education, for education, we need government spending on education, for that, we need good leaders... when is the last time we had good leaders? Not one imposed by western democracies? And anyway, if we get good graduates, better nations just lure them off with a better life, and i really don't blame them for leaving...

Well said!
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Can Actually Get Better? by deleo16(m): 4:32pm On Apr 05, 2012
ha a million dollar question after watching a 3hrs documentry about the hidden secret behing nigeria politics from before and after independence it would take a long time before this country get better this country is like a new born dump in a refuge dump for a month but the baby is alive coz NOTING IS WORKING in nigeria very sector is crying for help, we all both govt,followers,pubilc private,yoruba,igbo,hausa should put on a new thinking cap of Love,put away tribalism,greediness,put on the fear of God brazil last 12 years was not like this now thier GDP now better than that of UK at the lastest ranking is until we exchange oil for technology and infrastructure not sharing the money corruption will still contiune instead of receiving the money it is exchange for technonlgy and infrastructure.
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Can Actually Get Better? by seedord247(m): 4:32pm On Apr 05, 2012
Even Ifa or Amadioha can't answer this question. grin grin
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Can Actually Get Better? by Nobody: 4:40pm On Apr 05, 2012
buzugee: yeah when pigs fly

Tell the dreamers
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Can Actually Get Better? by sylve11: 4:40pm On Apr 05, 2012
Hisses! No way! angry angry cool
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Can Actually Get Better? by vevcommedia(m): 4:47pm On Apr 05, 2012
@ gbawe
you say nigeria can get better, but think for a minute, have we really been getting better all these years or worse. forget democracy and some few projects here and there. think of the value of the naira to pounds, from 1 - 1 to 1 - 250. think of our refineries, from some average production to none. think of our industries, from some budding industries to none, think of imports, exports - when a country imports virtually all its foods, you know that's a problem. What do we create/make here. We just sell oil, money which we wouldn't see, but will be spent abroad by the executives, again, note, bolstering the developed countries' economies. I mean, all our oil money, what do we have to show for it. if you think some few roads here and there, see some shoprites and think, oh that governor is doing a good job, yes, we are getting progress, i will tell you one thing -

Go to Dubai and see what oil money is really all about.

One thing i was taught in politics was this. If you want to use people, use them thoroughly, but not to the point of rebellion, then from time to time give them goodies to keep quiet. That's what is happening to us. I will add, not our fault though, we don't even know what we should be getting in the first place.

@ soskid

you are very right. Nowadays slavery has just been substituted for the word "globalization". If it isn't carting away our best brains (more doctors from angola in the uk than in angola itself), it's by giving our people visas to come wash their toilets and sweep their streets. Jobs their people refuse to do.

@ fhemmmy

Nigerians have not the problem. If i gave you a choice to have a successful career, and wonderful family, won't you take it? Now what about if you don't have that opportunity in the first place. That's the point i am making....
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Can Actually Get Better? by Nobody: 4:48pm On Apr 05, 2012
With all these negative variables in place: massive corruption, bokoharam, power failure, kidnapping, people going into mortuary business becos its lucrative, a president that wont SERIOUSLY fight corruption, deepening segregation, mass illiteracy (you think your UNILAG or LASU is actually a school? Go school abroad and see a big difference and you wont respect any Nigerian graduate, though it aint there fault), increasing churches and not factories, etc... You better try the visa lottery thing. I have my eyes on the UK or Australia...shame I cant play football or any other sport since thats the highest paying over there.
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Can Actually Get Better? by vevcommedia(m): 4:53pm On Apr 05, 2012
Sirmuell: With the way things are going, Nigeria can and will never get better! Nigeria will only get better if the country divides into two or three separate entities(countries) that's the first step towards progress but if we keep managing in ignorance then development will forever be a fairy tale to Nigeria! Years to come you will come to see that the division of Nigeria is inevitable.

you have a good point there. Nigeria is made of too many people who are not similar in any way. I am not promoting tribalism, just saying often, peole quarrel when they don't understand each other. Just as you wouldn't marry someone you don't get along, nigeria has been forced into a marriage of too many different cultures and people who are not alike, don't have the same views, and the result is constant fighting. I don't blame nigerians, but the colonialists who merged everyone together.

To buttress my point, just look at the situation in Mali, one part of the country fighting the other saying they want to liberate thier people.....
signs of not having one voice.
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Can Actually Get Better? by vevcommedia(m): 4:53pm On Apr 05, 2012
saddler: Nigeria cant get better until we take å look at d rate our population is increasing and d no of fools and nonentities are increasing arithmetically.

grin grin grin funny haha
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Can Actually Get Better? by chrishenzo: 4:58pm On Apr 05, 2012
Sirmuell: With the way things are going, Nigeria can and will never get better! Nigeria will only get better if the country divides into two or three separate entities(countries) that's the first step towards progress but if we keep managing in ignorance then development will forever be a fairy tale to Nigeria! Years to come you will come to see that the division of Nigeria is inevitable.

You are right. Nigeria can only get better if the country divide. The problem of Nigeria is tribalism and religion. What makes you think that a country will develop when people vote for specific man or woman because the person is from his/her own ethnic group or religion. A country where an hausa man or Igbo man will talk and a yoruba will disagree because he is not a yoruba or an Igbo or hausa man insulting a yoruba because he doesn't belong to their group. The truth is that our government knows the really problem of this country but none seem to care. I am yet to see a patriotic president in Nigeria(both past and present). What makes you think that a country will develop when the same people that are in power since 90s are still the same people holding power today and the worst is that most has run out of idea. What makes you think that a country will develop when some constitution favours some people and not all the power.

Talk about business expansion. When only Lagos state is the main importation port. A country that reason well will try to develop other ports to develop the business around the region but in Nigeria, some think that it is their birthright. No one encourages Agriculture anymore since the oil boom.

Nigeria is like joining Japan,Korea,Malaysia,Philippines, together and name them one country. Imagine seeing a restaurant and they call it "African Restaurant" when all the food sold inside are only Yoruba foods or Hausa Foods or Igbo Foods. The Hausa, Yoruba and Igbo, and others Culture are in no way related to each other. Both the writing, speaking, etc are not. The funny part is that each of these ethnic groups has a population of more than 20million people which is larger than most countries population.

Maybe there will be a fast improvement if the law make it that every ethnic group should use the resources found in their region to develop its part.
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Can Actually Get Better? by harakiri(m): 4:59pm On Apr 05, 2012
buzugee: yeah when pigs fly

Buhuhuhuhahahahaha grin grin cool
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Can Actually Get Better? by kpozite(m): 5:09pm On Apr 05, 2012
Hope is an amazing emotion that keeps life going without life will loose many if not all it's meaning. It is an inherent characteristic of man everywhere but here in Nigeria the hope here is for individual success or breakthrough whatever becomes of the country is not an average Nigerian's business. And I think that is the root of our problems individual selfishness and greed to the detriment of other citizens and the country.
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Can Actually Get Better? by Onyatinu: 5:09pm On Apr 05, 2012
I don't think Nigeria will ever get any better rather worse to worst.The country is not all about the government, militants, boko haram, ethnic & religious difference but all about d individuals. We need to change ourselves individually, with that, there will be hope that our Country Nigeria will get better.
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Can Actually Get Better? by bid4rich(m): 5:12pm On Apr 05, 2012
Nigeria is the best place, we are stil growing and we wil continue to grow till we grow to perfection. If its a lie, ask Americans and the Scottish, the wil tell you its not a 50 years ego.

God bless Nigeria for Nigerians.
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Can Actually Get Better? by kpozite(m): 5:19pm On Apr 05, 2012
Hope is an amazing emotion that keeps life going without life will loose many if not all it's meaning. It is an inherent characteristic of man everywhere but here in Nigeria the hope here is for individual success or breakthrough whatever becomes of the country is not an average Nigerian's business. And I think that is the root of our problems individual selfishness and greed to the detriment of other citizens and the country. Nigeria need not change,(change to what if I may ask) it is we the citizenry who need to change our mindset
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Can Actually Get Better? by newmaonza: 5:38pm On Apr 05, 2012
Notin original is coming 4rm Nigeria or any 3rd world country,is it our religion,government, educational system, even ideas, none of dem have roots here in Nigeria, Can Some body show me a black man dat under-stands democracy,christianity, Islam, 6-3-3-4 education etc. . .As far as we conform to how d whites do their tins we cannot but keep carrying last.
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Can Actually Get Better? by newmaonza: 5:51pm On Apr 05, 2012
maclatunji: If those who were consciously living in Nigeria in the 60s and 70s did not think Nigeria could go bad, there is every probability that Nigeria will get better even if many of us do not think so.

I am one of those that think Nigeria will get there in no distant time, even our leaders are getting tired of messing-up it seems.
which leaders abeg shey na GEJ abi Na Tinubu or Bamanga Tukur or shey na Chris Okotie abi na dat stock xchange woman. . . BROS NO DULL YA SELF O!
Re: Do You Think Nigeria Can Actually Get Better? by bakila: 5:56pm On Apr 05, 2012
When goodluck convict Alams, Babangida Aliyu pursue the lawful conviction of the Niger Generals and all Governors follow suit. When Members of House of Assemblu start Impeachment proceedings and hand over a recorded tape of the bribe to kill the proceedings to the police and thereby demonstrations that the Police have not acted in securing conviction for the bribery and return the money to goverment coffers.
When the Goverment in power will not steal and rig elections. Imams, Pastors and Babalawos will reject money from corrupt sources. Ah a very long dream

2 Likes

Re: Do You Think Nigeria Can Actually Get Better? by NRIPRIEST(m): 6:07pm On Apr 05, 2012
All you need to do in order to find out if Nigeria will get better is just to peruse throught the comments made by the supposed "educated" Nigerians on Nairaland and thats all you need; Bunch of hateful and tribalistic bums! They claimed they are educated but most of them have not the common sense nor wisdom to make a constructive and sensible arguements! Nigeria is a wicked Nation!

1 Like

Re: Do You Think Nigeria Can Actually Get Better? by BeforeNko: 6:09pm On Apr 05, 2012
Until we see politics as an opportunity to serve your country and not to loot the national treasure, Nigeria will remain like this for a very very very long time.We have to stop depending on oil as our only means of revenue. State govs need to start a form of wealth generation rather expecting cheques from abj every month. All sectors of the economy is capable of creating 1000s of jobs.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Where Did Tinubu Get The Money To Purchase His VP-CBT Private Jet ? / "No Northerner Qualified To Rule Nigeria Than Buhari" – NAF / Malami Distances Himself From Allegations To Void Rivers Elections

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.