Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,605 members, 7,801,750 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 09:56 PM

What Nigeria Means To Me - My Story As A Detribalised Nigerian - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Nigeria Means To Me - My Story As A Detribalised Nigerian (3017 Views)

The Most Detribalised Nairalanders / Rochas Okorocha Is Detribalised But Let's Give Him More Time. / Does D Detribalised Nigerian Exist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Nigeria Means To Me - My Story As A Detribalised Nigerian by Nobody: 6:04pm On Apr 06, 2012
What Nigeria means to me by a reformed tribalist

I was inspired to write this after reading the beautifully crafted article by the great Chinua Achebe titled: “What Nigeria Means to Me.” As I sat on my bed trying to study, I decided to have a reflection about how I came this far – my troubles, trials, tribulations, and how I found my consciousness. I went from being a paper Black British guy, to embracing my Nigerian roots. My visit to Nigeria in 2008 changed my life forever – from the hustle and bustle of Lagos, to the diversity in the huge population. Oh Nigeria, a land blessed with people striving to achieve a common goal and lead a good life – despite the disparities in the cultures, traditions and languages.

Since my first visit, every time I visit Lagos – what intrigues me the most is when I see kids and youths from downtrodden parents (who are mostly citizens of Nigeria by the way) roam the motorway in the scotching sun, to sell their goods. In them, I see tenacity, resourcefulness, hard work, resilience, and endurance – a group of people trying to make something out of nothing, and this always make me proud to be Nigerian. These are the real Nigerians to me – people I’m very proud to share the same nationality with and can relate to due to my upbringing. I may not have hawked pure water sachets nor sold gala on the motor way – but I definitely did have a troubled childhood. I was raised in one of the forgotten parts of London – where I found solace in gangs and hustling whilst growing up – and my motor way was street corners, where I served the fiends. I guess hustling is universal, but in different forms.

I view most of the so-called Nigerian elites and their children as opportunists, who are pseudo-Nigerians. Most of them achieved everything they have, not by their virtue – but by the manipulation of the blood, sweat and tears of real Nigerians. Though, I have spent almost all my young life (I’m still in my mid-20s) in a country where everything attainable to most of the Nigerian elites – is also attainable to anyone who leads a normal life – I still find it difficult to relate to them, because of my principles about life. I believe in being my brother’s keeper and selflessness – and that’s why I’m not a big fan of extreme capitalism. I’m a big fan of Karl Marx, but not I’m not necessarily a core Marxist . Also being from a street background before Afrocentrism and pan-Africanism saved me – I believe in “loyalty above everything” and “death before dishonour” – and since I’ve pledged my allegiance to my beloved country, Nigeria – I’ll always be loyal to it; and would rather die than dishonour my beloved country.

Nigeria to me is the land of my ancestors, my pride, my joy, and my happiness – and I wouldn’t want to be from anywhere else. There is just something spiritual about being a Nigerian, which can’t be explained. It’s a feeling which makes me strive harder, and aim higher, every single day of my life. The Nigerian spirit got me off the gully roads of South London – to the four walls of the university – and through some of the worst moments of my life.

And how can I forget my Nigerian sisters? Every time I look back at each stage of my journey through life – there was always a Nigerian woman supporting me. At birth, I had my mother who carried me in her belly for nine months, and made sure I made it into this world in good health. During my childhood years, I had my mother, sisters and grandmother – they all looked after me, and wanted the best for me. In secondary school, I had a Nigerian girlfriend who was always there for me – though I never added anything to her life – other than violence and stupidity. College years, I had another beautiful Nigerian girlfriend who never left my side – despite the type of life I was leading; she loved, cared, and catered to me like my little mum. At the university, I had yet another Nigerian girl who gave up everything for me – and she almost lost of her life because of me. She was the rock behind me; the air I was breathing; and was the queen of my heart. Nigerian women are the best group of women in world, period.

I know I’ve had my fair share of tribal rants on NL – but I can’t deny my Yoruba heritage, just as I can’t deny my beloved Nigeria. Nigeria is me, and I’m Nigerian. We all need to strive for unity, and embrace things that bind us – and disregard things that separate us. My home state Lagos should be a prototype of how we all as Nigerians can live together in peace, despite our cultural differences. I love my Yoruba, Igbo, Hausa, Edo, Urhobo, Itsekiri, Isoko, Ijaw, Jukun, Fulani, Berom, Kanuri, Efik, Ibibio etc. brothers and sisters.

Let’s make Nigeria great!

NB: Please don’t mind incoherent writing, I’m just trying to convey a message – and preach unity.

Nigeria my beloved Country by Funmi Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBAoRf1O6m8

3 Likes

Re: What Nigeria Means To Me - My Story As A Detribalised Nigerian by IKEYMAN1: 6:08pm On Apr 06, 2012
@@@@@@

look there is no point dancing around

if we are prepared to be one then personally i think the yaribas need to change big time

that will be the first step i think
Re: What Nigeria Means To Me - My Story As A Detribalised Nigerian by Nobody: 6:12pm On Apr 06, 2012
IKEYMAN!!!:
@@@@@@

if we are prepared to be one then personally i think the yaribas need to change big time

How do you want Yorubas to change? You can't effect a change yourself by spelling Yoruba, the right way - and kick out tribalism.

Like the saying: "each one, teach one." Effect a change within yourself, and preach the gospel to the next man - so others can follow suit.
Re: What Nigeria Means To Me - My Story As A Detribalised Nigerian by Ikengawo: 6:25pm On Apr 06, 2012
it's sad that leaving nigeria is the quickest way to become a nigerian as opposed to an igbo or yoruba. I too am a detribalized nigerian and i would give my years in the US the most credit for helping my surpass petty tribalism. i will throw an insult here and there if im frustrated at a tribe but in all honesty i feel that tribes are my father/grandfather's nigeria, and the nation is mine.
Re: What Nigeria Means To Me - My Story As A Detribalised Nigerian by Nobody: 6:54pm On Apr 06, 2012
Ikengawo: it's sad that leaving nigeria is the quickest way to become a nigerian as opposed to an igbo or yoruba. I too am a detribalized nigerian and i would give my years in the US the most credit for helping my surpass petty tribalism. i will throw an insult here and there if im frustrated at a tribe but in all honesty i feel that tribes are my father/grandfather's nigeria, and the nation is mine.

Thanks, bruv...

Nigeria is here to stay, and one love will keep us together.
Re: What Nigeria Means To Me - My Story As A Detribalised Nigerian by Nobody: 6:56pm On Apr 06, 2012
Onyeka Onwenu - One Love

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNHsJR8HKKY

sunny okosun - which way Nigeria

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQRryNzHOks
Re: What Nigeria Means To Me - My Story As A Detribalised Nigerian by Nobody: 7:00pm On Apr 06, 2012
Nas & Damian Marley - Friends

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cH-KBON4cqY

Nas & Damian Marley - Strong Will Continue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-DpInHMzrc
Re: What Nigeria Means To Me - My Story As A Detribalised Nigerian by Nobody: 7:05pm On Apr 06, 2012
[size=14pt]Nas & Damian Marley - Africa Must Wake Up[/size]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfdAJxUXgYI

Nas & Damian Marley - Patience

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnk-b3Hr_7U
Re: What Nigeria Means To Me - My Story As A Detribalised Nigerian by bittyend(m): 7:30pm On Apr 06, 2012
I know the 'suyaing', 'peppersouping', and 'big stouting' Nigerians won't read this. sad

I still believe in Nigeria as well, kudos. cool

1 Like

Re: What Nigeria Means To Me - My Story As A Detribalised Nigerian by CyberG: 8:38pm On Apr 06, 2012
How dare you preach love and unity among brethren: Yoruba, Igbo, Hausa, Efik, Idoma, Igala, Bachama, Chando, Tiv, and over 200+ tribes!? How dare you use such flowery words to express your love for Nigeria? Even Ikeyman, how dare you NOT go off on your hatred filled bigoted tribalism except spelling a tribe name wrong? Ikenagwo, seriously? Where is your tribal and bigoted gun and knife since 1967? Well, now you have made your lords and tribalistic devils mad by talking about love, peace, unity, education, Nigeria: Dendenbula01, ONlyEWURURULies, AkBOY47, Warped illogical mind, Bashirua, Acm, IAfamLoser4ever, LilboyZEUCHE, and many more! Watch now as these souls dedicated to hatred, evil, bigotry, soulical perversion, racism, KKK, racial lebensrum, etc and their souls chained down by the devil come out with their treacherous cobra like venom. In 3, 2, 1. . . .
Re: What Nigeria Means To Me - My Story As A Detribalised Nigerian by Brixtonyute(m): 8:49pm On Apr 06, 2012
Damn, so - good stuff!

Front page, plz!!
Re: What Nigeria Means To Me - My Story As A Detribalised Nigerian by Nobody: 9:13pm On Apr 06, 2012
IKEYMAN!!!:
@@@@@@

yoruba can never change.its impossible.they are the ones pulling southern nigeria backward.this useless thread is meant for the back page.
Re: What Nigeria Means To Me - My Story As A Detribalised Nigerian by AfroBlue(m): 9:53pm On Apr 06, 2012
Much props Chairman Shymmex. You rocked it and I enjoyed the read.

NNEKA - My Home

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fI5TZOfjj8

NNEKA - Soul Is Heavy (WITH LYRICS!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmWA7d4BlWU
Re: What Nigeria Means To Me - My Story As A Detribalised Nigerian by Nobody: 9:56pm On Apr 06, 2012
Afro_Blue: Much props Chairman Shymmex. You rocked it and I enjoyed the read.

Thanks, bruv.. I got the inspiration from good Nigerians like you.
Re: What Nigeria Means To Me - My Story As A Detribalised Nigerian by Nobody: 9:57pm On Apr 06, 2012
chima12: yoruba can never change.its impossible.they are the ones pulling southern nigeria backward.this useless thread is meant for the back page.

You're traumatised and sick, please seek help. undecided

1 Like

Re: What Nigeria Means To Me - My Story As A Detribalised Nigerian by Nobody: 10:26pm On Apr 06, 2012
Brixtonyute: Damn, so - good stuff!

Front page, plz!!

Frontttt Pageeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!! cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: What Nigeria Means To Me - My Story As A Detribalised Nigerian by Nobody: 12:52am On Apr 07, 2012
Front page, plz!! grin grin grin grin grin
Re: What Nigeria Means To Me - My Story As A Detribalised Nigerian by Yeske2(m): 4:18am On Apr 07, 2012
Renowned bigot preaching love, pass.
Re: What Nigeria Means To Me - My Story As A Detribalised Nigerian by chosen04(f): 6:55am On Apr 07, 2012
Truly, this cursed entity is full of sick people who stay in another man's country and preach love to the members of the cursed entity called niGERia.

Twisted if you ask me.
Re: What Nigeria Means To Me - My Story As A Detribalised Nigerian by Odunnu: 7:03am On Apr 07, 2012
I pray, I wish and hope that the likes of XYZ will read this too and come to the saving knowledge of detribalism.
Re: What Nigeria Means To Me - My Story As A Detribalised Nigerian by MrGlobe(m): 7:06am On Apr 07, 2012
chima12: yoruba can never change.its impossible.they are the ones pulling southern nigeria backward.this useless thread is meant for the back page.
Supported!!!! And then this thread is coming from a renowned tribalist (like his kin) who wants to subtly use this thread as another tribal war front. MODs, you know whats good. Throw this thread into the thrash can/Recycle bin.
Re: What Nigeria Means To Me - My Story As A Detribalised Nigerian by Nobody: 10:11am On Apr 07, 2012
Yeske!:
Renowned bigot preaching love, pass.

Change your ways and emulate Ikengawo and Igbo2011.
Re: What Nigeria Means To Me - My Story As A Detribalised Nigerian by Nobody: 10:11am On Apr 07, 2012
Mr. Globe:

Supported!!!! And then this thread is coming from a renowned tribalist (like his kin) who wants to subtly use this thread as another tribal war front. MODs, you know whats good. Throw this thread into the thrash can/Recycle bin.

Re: What Nigeria Means To Me - My Story As A Detribalised Nigerian by Nobody: 10:12am On Apr 07, 2012
chosen04: Truly, this cursed entity is full of sick people who stay in another man's country and preach love to the members of the cursed entity called niGERia.

Twisted if you ask me.

And being that you're an Igbo girl - I'll like to blow your back out. wink

One Naija!! cool
Re: What Nigeria Means To Me - My Story As A Detribalised Nigerian by Metalgoong(m): 10:29am On Apr 07, 2012
@OP
Which Nigerian girl friends are you talking about?? . . . . You mean the ones that shattered your heart with Ak-47 bullets grin grin grin grin grin
Re: What Nigeria Means To Me - My Story As A Detribalised Nigerian by Nobody: 10:33am On Apr 07, 2012
Metalgoong: @OP
Which Nigerian girl friends are you talking about?? . . . . You mean the ones that shattered your heart with Ak-47 bullets grin grin grin grin grin

Nah, the one ones that used cruise missiles.
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: What Nigeria Means To Me - My Story As A Detribalised Nigerian by Yeske2(m): 10:51am On Apr 07, 2012
shymmex:

I hope you change faster than the time it took you to type that nonsense.
Re: What Nigeria Means To Me - My Story As A Detribalised Nigerian by Nobody: 10:55am On Apr 07, 2012
Yeske!:
I hope you change faster than the time it took you to type that nonsense.

Get the hate out of your heart, and embrace Nigeria. lipsrsealed
Re: What Nigeria Means To Me - My Story As A Detribalised Nigerian by Nobody: 11:07am On Apr 07, 2012
Nigeria is a mirage. It doesnt exist.even your hero awolowo knows this too well.nigeria is a mere geographic expression.nigeria has never been a nation and will never be one.if you want to preach unity,preach it among your yoruba tribe only. Will you begrudge me if I keep campaigning for my beloved homeland,BIAFRA ?
Re: What Nigeria Means To Me - My Story As A Detribalised Nigerian by MrGlobe(m): 12:12pm On Apr 07, 2012
chima12: Nigeria is a mirage. It doesnt exist.even your hero awolowo knows this too well.nigeria is a mere geographic expression.nigeria has never been a nation and will never be one.if you want to preach unity,preach it among your yoruba tribe only. Will you begrudge me if I keep campaigning for my beloved homeland,BIAFRA ?
dont mind them, thats why GEJ called them rascals. They dont seem to know their left from thier right.
Re: What Nigeria Means To Me - My Story As A Detribalised Nigerian by T9ksy(m): 12:30pm On Apr 07, 2012
@ OP, interesting read and a good idea but am afraid, it ain't happening anytime soon if ever.
Re: What Nigeria Means To Me - My Story As A Detribalised Nigerian by Nobody: 12:49pm On Apr 07, 2012
Mr. Globe Biafra:

dont mind them, thats why GEJ called them rascals. They dont seem to know their left from thier right.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Dr. Isaac Ikere: The Bayelsan Boko Haram Medical Doctor / What Has Jonathan Done For The Yoruba People / REVEALED: Jonathan Sets Trap For Buhari On Handing Over

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.