Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,337 members, 7,780,885 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 02:32 AM

Any Hope On The Stock Market: Will It Ever Pick-up Again? - Investment - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Any Hope On The Stock Market: Will It Ever Pick-up Again? (7169 Views)

Poll: Is The Stock Market Still Profitable?

YES: 24% (9 votes)
NO: 32% (12 votes)
MAY BE: 27% (10 votes)
WHO CARES: 16% (6 votes)
This poll has ended

Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion / When Is MTN Coming To The Stock Market? / Stock Market: Questions And Answers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Any Hope On The Stock Market: Will It Ever Pick-up Again? by cashmentor(m): 6:39pm On Apr 06, 2012
Knew a couple of Folks who collected large sums of loans to invest in the NSE, some commited suicide, others sold their biz, homes and anything saleable to pay back those large sums! Me, Haaa, grace kept me going: burnt my fingers and my greedy tongue badly (no loans though), but, i regret ever Buying stock/shares! Worst off, other world markets are growing, the NSE has just refused to wake up! Is there any hope it's ever gonna pick again? Feel for those young lads i advice into buying stocks back then; to me, the NSE is a no go area, not after banks merged and shareholders stocks became invalid, others recapitalized and send u pea nuts as share! NSE is dead, not with Boko Haram on Rampage! I want my money back; *where's this broker* you must give me back my money O*.....that was a student shouting at my stock broker yesterday! Sad isn't it?
Re: Any Hope On The Stock Market: Will It Ever Pick-up Again? by feelamong(m): 7:26pm On Apr 06, 2012
cashmentor: Knew a couple of Folks who collected large sums of loans to invest in the NSE, some commited suicide, others sold their biz, homes and anything saleable to pay back those large sums! Me, Haaa, grace kept me going: burnt my fingers and my greedy tongue badly (no loans though), but, i regret ever Buying stock/shares! Worst off, other world markets are growing, the NSE has just refused to wake up! Is there any hope it's ever gonna pick again? Feel for those young lads i advice into buying stocks back then; to me, the NSE is a no go area, not after banks merged and shareholders stocks became invalid, others recapitalized and send u pea nuts as share! NSE is dead, not with Boko Haram on Rampage! I want my money back; *where's this broker* you must give me back my money O*.....that was a student shouting at my stock broker yesterday! Sad isn't it?

guy..cool down the market is still making money for some sharp players...Recently i bought Access bank at 4.99 kobo and sold when it got to 7.02 recently...I also bought FBN at 7.97k and sold at 12.01 only last two weeks...The other day I bought A.G Leventis at 1.32 and its still rising..

the trick is to look out well and do ur research....try to be following this web site; www.stockmarketnigeria.com. A lot of sharp guy post good info and analysis here..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Any Hope On The Stock Market: Will It Ever Pick-up Again? by cashmentor(m): 7:36pm On Apr 06, 2012
Sharp guys u said? That was what i thought some years back, only to dryout my a/c.... Bought that same FBN at N33, Oceanic at N16, Access at N14! How much did u said u bought just now, you don't want to know how much went down the drain, do you? The NSE as you claim, might be for the smart dudes, but, just don't be caught unnoticed!
Re: Any Hope On The Stock Market: Will It Ever Pick-up Again? by feelamong(m): 8:47pm On Apr 06, 2012
cashmentor: Sharp guys u said? That was what i thought some years back, only to dryout my a/c.... Bought that same FBN at N33, Oceanic at N16, Access at N14! How much did u said u bought just now, you don't want to know how much went down the drain, do you? The NSE as you claim, might be for the smart dudes, but, just don't be caught unnoticed!

thats the word....unnoticed...have you watched the movie 'Wall street'? well, traders there dont sleep...so why should i sleep...moreover i give myself a stop loss of 10%..immediately a stock i have losses 10% i sell off and cut my losses......this has not failed me over the years....ad once i get 20% on any stock..i start to sell.....the problem with most of us is that we attach a lot of sentiments and emotions to stock purchases....personally i dont do long term......

I have a few legacy i inherited from my dad....these shares i dont sell and they have never dissappointed me in the last 10 yrs....Nestle, NB, Guiness, CAP Plc and FBN..
Re: Any Hope On The Stock Market: Will It Ever Pick-up Again? by cashmentor(m): 9:21pm On Apr 06, 2012
Ahaa! I see you go pretty much for the Blue Chips, hot cakes any time! I kinda learnt this late though, for me, it has always been the Penny stock (kiyosaki called them secret Gold Mine), turned out to be a bad choice, mostly the insurance, damme! that sector is a deep pit with no end.... The Blue Chip is a Sure Banker after all.... Been thinking of ofloading 'em, gotta hold on a while then!
Re: Any Hope On The Stock Market: Will It Ever Pick-up Again? by Ezemarcel(m): 10:08pm On Apr 06, 2012
My brodas NSE is a market where smart ones trade...never come 2 dat market with long term investment in mind...i bought UBA shares at 1.99 and sold at 2.98 in 2weeks i made 72k..is dat not a gud turn up?..my dear NSE market is still profitable..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Any Hope On The Stock Market: Will It Ever Pick-up Again? by feelamong(m): 11:14am On Apr 07, 2012
Ezemarcel: My brodas NSE is a market where smart ones trade...never come 2 dat market with long term investment in mind...i bought UBA shares at 1.99 and sold at 2.98 in 2weeks i made 72k..is dat not a gud turn up?..my dear NSE market is still profitable..

Good move bro!! I think there is still alot of money to be made in the NSE..the thing is how well one buys a good stock....As the saying goes..Goods well bought are already half sold!!!!

I think we can use this thread to alert ourselves to fresh good oppurtunities out there in the market...

As for me am banking on dangote Sugar and OANDO now.....hopefully they will make money for me as soon as their results come out...

Am also hearing that FBN result will be poor due to some provisioning....hopefully this will push down the price of the stock to about N6-7 and hopefully we shall all pounce on it again for some fast gains..
Re: Any Hope On The Stock Market: Will It Ever Pick-up Again? by Malabeni: 6:50pm On Apr 07, 2012
@Cashmentor. The real truth is that the stock exchange is a market for everybody but with different niches for different people. Don't make the mistake of going into a niche not meant for you. If you have not garnered experience in financial and fundamental analysis,please buy only stocks with strong fundamentals and preferably foreign management( this mitigates your risk exposure since our NSE is stil young and suffers systemic corruption) like NB and Nestle,steer cleer of penny stocks but if you can analyse well and probably get some insider info(not info from articles and hearsay), you are free to trade any stock including Onwuka-hi tech plc :-). I have been a stunch player and have had my share of losses,almost 500k,so I know what I'm talking about. Goodluck.
Re: Any Hope On The Stock Market: Will It Ever Pick-up Again? by cashmentor(m): 9:45pm On Apr 09, 2012
Ezemarcel: My brodas NSE is a market where smart ones trade...never come 2 dat market with long term investment in mind...i bought UBA shares at 1.99 and sold at 2.98 in 2weeks i made 72k..is dat not a gud turn up?..my dear NSE market is still profitable..
that's very good, great to hear people still milk honey out from a Rock like the NSE! Buh, i like long term, maybe that was why i burnt my fingers? Advice Noted though.... Only that i can't even pull my money out anymore, it's now worth nothing!
Re: Any Hope On The Stock Market: Will It Ever Pick-up Again? by cashmentor(m): 9:56pm On Apr 09, 2012
feelamong:

I think we can use this thread to alert ourselves to fresh good oppurtunities out there in the market...

As for me am banking on dangote Sugar and OANDO now.....hopefully they will make money for me as soon as their results come out...

Am also hearing that FBN result will be poor due to some provisioning....hopefully this will push down the price of the stock to about N6-7 and hopefully we shall all pounce on it again for some fast gains..
nice one! Buh, what happened to Oceanic Bank recently (now Eco Bank) has made me fall sick of the NSE: Over N496k now worth only N13k, Imagine! That, in the Fishery or Info Biz, by now would have given me over 500% return! Nowadays, i like to put my money where i can see 'em!
Re: Any Hope On The Stock Market: Will It Ever Pick-up Again? by feelamong(m): 7:35am On Apr 10, 2012
cashmentor: nice one! Buh, what happened to Oceanic Bank recently (now Eco Bank) has made me fall sick of the NSE: Over N496k now worth only N13k, Imagine! That, in the Fishery or Info Biz, by now would have given me over 500% return! Nowadays, i like to put my money where i can see 'em!

The most important thing is to learn from your past mistakes and learn how to play the market better. At times we also need to cut our losses early enough and move.....Am not a particularly long termer in the market so I alway tell my self that at 10% loss ..its time to sell off and move on...at times it works, at times it does not but if i check my losses to gains..am in the black...

I take it as business and as such look for new info which i believ will affect the sttockls am carrying at any time..
Re: Any Hope On The Stock Market: Will It Ever Pick-up Again? by cashmentor(m): 8:29am On Apr 10, 2012
feelamong:

The most important thing is to learn from your past mistakes and learn how to play the market better. At times we also need to cut our losses early enough and move.....Am not a particularly long termer in the market so I alway tell my self that at 10% loss ..its time to sell off and move on...at times it works, at times it does not but if i check my losses to gains..am in the black...

I take it as business and as such look for new info which i believ will affect the sttockls am carrying at any time..
are you sure you're not an analyst? You seem some how good with the market.... I think the best way to survive the NSE is to aviod greed....you just made that clear!
Re: Any Hope On The Stock Market: Will It Ever Pick-up Again? by feelamong(m): 9:16am On Apr 10, 2012
cashmentor: are you sure you're not an analyst? You seem some how good with the market.... I think the best way to survive the NSE is to aviod greed....you just made that clear!

Nope..am not an analyst....just a hustling wine dealer who managed to have worked in the bank in the past!

Greed avoidance is always very important but then..like Buffet says; be greedy when others are not.....the deal ios to buy low and sell high...however most people find it difficult to sell off stocks when it is doing well! thats where the discipline come in.
Re: Any Hope On The Stock Market: Will It Ever Pick-up Again? by coolguy2002: 10:20am On Apr 10, 2012
yes
Re: Any Hope On The Stock Market: Will It Ever Pick-up Again? by blank(f): 10:38am On Apr 10, 2012
I can assure that NSE is heading for another crash. Mark my words.
Re: Any Hope On The Stock Market: Will It Ever Pick-up Again? by LagBlogger(m): 10:39am On Apr 10, 2012
What we experienced then was a stock market bubble were there was just too much money chasing too few shares. people thought that rising stock prices met the stock market was growing whereas the engine room of our economy manufacturing was suffering. Our stock market can rise but only if our economy is doing fine especially manufacturing and Agriculture. That's my opinion anyway but still go on and invest a few companies are still doing fine despite the economic challenges.
Re: Any Hope On The Stock Market: Will It Ever Pick-up Again? by Nobody: 10:44am On Apr 10, 2012
It's always a Cycle ans some blue chip stocks are still profitable to buy.
Re: Any Hope On The Stock Market: Will It Ever Pick-up Again? by buJu234: 10:57am On Apr 10, 2012
the main reason why alot of peolpe lost their money in NSE is because the average Nigerians are copy copy people...
they dont take their time to do their own analysis...

there are penny stock over there; why not study those companies first; their management; are they planning to increase profits etc
this will make their shares to rise...
Re: Any Hope On The Stock Market: Will It Ever Pick-up Again? by TheArbiter: 11:04am On Apr 10, 2012
I understand cashmentor's statement to imply the market growing to the levels it was 6 to 7 years ago anytime soon. To that, the answer is a capital NO. The reason being that the fundamentals of the Nigerian market still remains weak. Overall, the market still continues to loss money. However, the policies of the CBN, which have been widely criticized, remains a strong reason for the current faith in the market or it would have collapsed to levels lower than this. The current long view of the market sees a strong growth beyond 2015, barring any political mishaps during elections. The market would have seen a slow growth rather than decline at present but the lack of will by the Jonathan led administration to tackle industralisation, evident corruption and strengthen transparency within the market, remains a strong mitigating factor.

Feelamong represents a small class of stock market players called speculators. They make money based on correct guesses of market direction, buying and selling blocks of shares to make make a profit (or loss). The blocks of shares often traded represent 5% to 20% of a companies total shareholding. Though small, the influence of this transactions affect the pricing of the stock instruments. The yoyo nature of price movements to such transactions have also been touted as an indication of the market weakness. In developed economies, share prices fluctuate based on company performance while in Nigeria it is not so.

Many people have lost fortunes in the Nigerian stock market crash. I personally know a few. Most were victims because they never understood what it was all about. Like feelamong says understanding the market is essential to any1 intersted in it.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Any Hope On The Stock Market: Will It Ever Pick-up Again? by knowledge4(m): 11:17am On Apr 10, 2012
I learned my lesson very bitterly.
I had the option to invest in real estate but foolishly went to invest in the NSE and lost several millions.
I thank God i survived the crash unlike some who developed High BP or committed suicide or had stroke and other complicated cases of bankruptcy.
Never again will i touch the NSE even with a long pole.
Manipulated, dubious market!
Re: Any Hope On The Stock Market: Will It Ever Pick-up Again? by walcolm(m): 11:24am On Apr 10, 2012
cashmentor: Knew a couple of Folks who collected large sums of loans to invest in the NSE, some commited suicide, others sold their biz, homes and anything saleable to pay back those large sums! Me, Haaa, grace kept me going: burnt my fingers and my greedy tongue badly (no loans though), but, i regret ever Buying stock/shares! Worst off, other world markets are growing, the NSE has just refused to wake up! Is there any hope it's ever gonna pick again? Feel for those young lads i advice into buying stocks back then; to me, the NSE is a no go area, not after banks merged and shareholders stocks became invalid, others recapitalized and send u pea nuts as share! NSE is dead, not with Boko Haram on Rampage! I want my money back; *where's this broker* you must give me back my money O*.....that was a student shouting at my stock broker yesterday! Sad isn't it?

the NSE was thrown open to every Tom, D1ck and Harry and lots of people were taught to see it as a money doubling environment. that mentality has not changed and there are lots of unruly people aka stockbrokers in the market with the sole aim of taking the money of innocent investors

since we live in a jungle and the SEC, or legislature have refused to enact or tighten laws that will maintain sanity in the market, people are going to continue staying away and the market will continue to be depressed.

my advise to young people who have never invested in the Nigerian stock market is for them to stay away
Re: Any Hope On The Stock Market: Will It Ever Pick-up Again? by PHIPEX(m): 11:52am On Apr 10, 2012
Its funny that I made my greatest kill in the Stock market when the chips were down funny enough from penny stocks (Oceanic and Inter) a yr ago. Even though I recorded some losses too but am ever ready to play more. I believe the secret is short term, Long term has been my greatest disappointment.
Re: Any Hope On The Stock Market: Will It Ever Pick-up Again? by baysol: 11:59am On Apr 10, 2012
The result of sharp practice in the generality of Nigerian businesses is what is killing sustainability in our businesses. Even perpetrators of this sharp practice are not really purnished. where is Cecilia Ibru, Dangote, Otedola, Adenuga, Akingbola and co. Isn't it business as usual? Now who will be foolish enough to be beaten twice?
Re: Any Hope On The Stock Market: Will It Ever Pick-up Again? by buJu234: 12:31pm On Apr 10, 2012
The result of sharp practice in the generality of Nigerian businesses is what is killing sustainability in our businesses. Even perpetrators of this sharp practice are not really purnished. where is Cecilia Ibru, Dangote, Otedola, Adenuga, Akingbola and co. Isn't it business as usual? Now who will be foolish enough to be beaten twice?

they are the KINGS & QUEENS of the Nigerian govt. ( NSE regulators) grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Any Hope On The Stock Market: Will It Ever Pick-up Again? by Nobody: 12:41pm On Apr 10, 2012
Lmaooo am a Major player in the Nigerian stock market.. If you invest in Guinness, NB, Nestle or FBN you can never have any form of regrets, cuz these are long term investments... Then if you wanna play short term goals, You can invest in

UBA, there are currently on the low side, they are doing a lot of internal work to get back on the rise
GTB,..: Slow but steady progress
Okomoil... : As at last year September was on N4.50k two weeks ago entered N23 and still rising
Zenith: Slow and steady as well...

Short term investors can invest in any of this and make their millions withing 3weeks after sell off.... Am an insider, so i know wot am saying.
Re: Any Hope On The Stock Market: Will It Ever Pick-up Again? by Reference(m): 1:23pm On Apr 10, 2012
Corruption, corruption, corruption. This is the undoing of the NSE. The last major story we heard from that sector was a mud bath between the regulator and the regulator's regulator. And since the financial world revolves around trust, the NSE is in its natural state now. There is no hope for real growth in the forseeable future. Only high wire acts will scrounge a few bucks here and there until they themselves get caught out. Personally I haven't looked at my portfolio for about a year. Certain businesses do not fit Nigerians. This am afraid is one of them.
Re: Any Hope On The Stock Market: Will It Ever Pick-up Again? by DisGuy: 1:27pm On Apr 10, 2012
Do you actually know anyone that committed suicide or its just sounds that serious

I learnt alot when the stock was bubbling up, learnt many financial jargons, and i'm sure many people will be well prepared in a properly regulated market, good riddance to madam 'i'm a Phd holder' and 'look away' Soludo
I will be investing when the regulation is a bit saner/tighter and the crooked stockbrokers are weeded out
Re: Any Hope On The Stock Market: Will It Ever Pick-up Again? by feelamong(m): 1:35pm On Apr 10, 2012
Really enjoying the comments here...

Many of us are so quick to say that the NSE is corrupt.. I will like to know which industry these people work or do business and let me know if those places are not corrupt...

There is no easy way of making money and I have learnt that over the years,,....NSE included; yes once a while an easy period comes and people make loads of bucks doing so little.....but people who know are aware that this period will never last for long and sold off early enough...

For Now I still play in the NSE cos i do a lot of research.. read a lot of news report and researches, speak to people in the industry where i invest and want to invest and most times I make some money...

Only last month Okomu Oil plc declared a dividend of N4 just after declaring N1 interim and the stock went from N20 to N32....many people made their kill there....very soon many of us will say its corrupt brokers that made them impossible to get their wives pregnant..
Re: Any Hope On The Stock Market: Will It Ever Pick-up Again? by olajide8(m): 2:38pm On Apr 10, 2012

the capital market would definitely rise again the initial problem was when the value of stocks were initially rising, were they rising according to their true value at that time? well my submission was NO what was happening banks were synchronizing funds in terms of deposits and they had to give out loans to give interests on these deposits which they were making so they decided to go to the capital market which they felt had the capacity and was long term based what they did was to make the markets for them selves by saying they would be interested in investing in some certain companies WELL LIKE ALL OF US NOW, the capital market is a long term market as shares or equities could be increased over time through share appreciation apart from trading and addition income from the bonus issues, people like otunba shubomi balogun made his money through C.S.L in the capital market when the market was not known to most N.igerians.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Pls Bet4me Are They Genuine / LEARN THIS SKILL, YOU WILL BE GLAD YOU DID. / Investors Lose N140.86 Billion As Nigerian Stock Market Continues Tanking

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.