Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,519 members, 7,808,895 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:53 PM

To The Married- Who Is Your Next Of Kin - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / To The Married- Who Is Your Next Of Kin (5004 Views)

As A Husband, Or Wife, Who Will You Make Your Next Of Kin / Why You Should Be Careful In Choosing Your Next Of Kin (Photos) / Rude Awakening: I Am Not My Husband's Next Of Kin And Beneficiary!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

To The Married- Who Is Your Next Of Kin by adl(f): 8:18am On Apr 09, 2012
I have been married for 2years now.changed my next of kin to my husband and has been using him
But I discovered he was filling a form a month ago and made his mum his next of kin. I was annoyued but just want to know if it is proper.

1 Like

Re: To The Married- Who Is Your Next Of Kin by oladcity(m): 9:45am On Apr 09, 2012
Well next of kin i suppose is someone you trust to act on your behalf if circumstances prevent you. It's a thing of choice, however, for the married I would expect that your spouse should be your next of kin, but for several reasons you may decide to use someone else. In your case it could be that your hubby got so used to who he was using before marriage or is ignorant on the subject, probably he still has the mindset that his mum is more trustworthy than you, there could be several reasons.
I would suggest that you discuss the topic with him and you may be surprised that there is nothing to be worried about.
Re: To The Married- Who Is Your Next Of Kin by taryour(f): 10:25am On Apr 09, 2012
oladcity: Well next of kin i suppose is someone you trust to act on your behalf if circumstances prevent you. It's a thing of choice, however, for the married I would expect that your spouse should be your next of kin, but for several reasons you may decide to use someone else. In your case it could be that your hubby got so used to who he was using before marriage or is ignorant on the subject, probably he still has the mindset that his mum is more trustworthy than you, there could be several reasons.
I would suggest that you discuss the topic with him and you may be surprised that there is nothing to be worried about.

very true oladcity

@op,but u need to tok to ur hubby abt it cause he aught to have changed it now that he is married to either his wife or his kids.no need fight ur hubby over it. Tok to him first in a humble way
Re: To The Married- Who Is Your Next Of Kin by victorian(f): 11:29am On Apr 09, 2012
I used to have this nice friend, who ususally comes to my office with her husband. And anyday they are with me, they all lovey dovey, as if person neva be in love before angry. I was like, wow my friend this marriage must be tight o.. She smiled and said its the grace of God. Then later, we got talking on next of kin and i told her, that mine is my youngest brother, cos am not yet married. i then asked her, i bet her own next of kin will be her husband. And she is hell No! I was like, what? shocked but why? U guys are like peas in a pod? dont u trust him? And guess what she said- Vicky, dont ever make yur husband yur next of kin,instead make the kids when they start rolling in, instead of him. I had to sit down and i was like, this is serious.. So, who is your next of kin for now, since you guys are about to have a baby, She said her elder Sister, and thats how it will be until she starts having kids. We argued this issue, throughout that day, but she was adamant that she will neva place her husband as next of kin.. I shook my head and say na wa o.. ok o.. She shook my shoulders and said Vic, u better learn o. I replied, av heared.. So, poster whichever makes u feel comfortable and ease to choose as next of kin, pls do it.. No need to quarrel.
Re: To The Married- Who Is Your Next Of Kin by knowledge4(m): 5:23pm On Apr 10, 2012
For better or for worse,my wife is always my next of kin.
Re: To The Married- Who Is Your Next Of Kin by neyostica: 6:22pm On Apr 10, 2012
My bro, i dnt trust my wife
Re: To The Married- Who Is Your Next Of Kin by taryour(f): 6:54pm On Apr 10, 2012
neyostica: My bro, i dnt trust my wife

hmmmm, if u dont trush dat much to make her ur next of kin,what abt ur kids?am sure u can trust dem enuf to make dem ur next of kin.
Re: To The Married- Who Is Your Next Of Kin by ZIMDRILL(m): 7:42pm On Apr 10, 2012
the questions is which next of kin do they mean

Next of Kin is a term used for many interpretations that depend on the jurisdiction being referred to. In some jurisdictions, such as the United States, it is used to describe a person's closest living blood relative or relatives. In others, next of kin may have no legal definition and may not necessarily refer to blood relatives at all, as in the United Kingdom.
In some legal systems, rights regarding inheritance serve a decision making capacity (for example, in a medical emergency) where no clear will or instructions have been given, and the person has no spouse, flow to their closest relative (regardless of the age with a representative appointed if a minor), usually a child, a parent or a sibling. However, there are people without any close adult relatives and, in such a case, decision making power often flows to a nephew, first cousin, aunt, uncle, or grandparent.
For example, if a person dies intestate, the laws of some jurisdictions require the estate to be distributed to the person's spouse and/or children. However, if there are none of these, the estate can often be distributed to the next closest group of living relatives, whether they be parents, grandparents, First cousins, aunts & uncles, or second cousins in extreme cases. If a person dies intestate with no identifiable next of kin, the person's estate generally escheats (i.e., legally reverts) to the government.
Re: To The Married- Who Is Your Next Of Kin by neyostica: 8:19pm On Apr 10, 2012
taryour:

hmmmm, if u dont trush dat much to make her ur next of kin,what abt ur kids?am sure u can trust dem enuf to make dem ur next of kin.
we dont have kids
Re: To The Married- Who Is Your Next Of Kin by taryour(f): 8:41pm On Apr 10, 2012
neyostica:
we dont have kids

when u start having kids which is gona b soon then u can use dem as ur next of kin. But pls for d sake of peace trust ur wife,dats y she is ur companion.tnx
Re: To The Married- Who Is Your Next Of Kin by Nobody: 6:50am On Apr 11, 2012
adl: I have been married for 2years now.changed my next of kin to my husband and has been using him
But I discovered he was filling a form a month ago and made his mum his next of kin. I was annoyued but just want to know if it is proper.

Ask him why he still uses his sister as NOK. maybe he forgot to change it. My dad was my NOK before marriage and I completely forgot to change it until more than 9 months of marriage. How did I remember? I was applying for a volunteer work with ST John of God ambulance, they needed my NOK details and I was about to put my fathers name down when it dawned on me. Thank goodness for the man God blessed me with, he wasn't upset about it, think he kinda knew how much of a change it was for me post marriage. When answering phone calls, I was so used to saying my name and fathers name, that it took a lot of hard work to drop my fathers name and pick up my husband's. Hell, even my friend had to jokingly fit in my husbands name after I answered her call once and used my fathers name.

People forget things, don't be upset yet, ask him, talk to him and find out why you are not his NOK
Re: To The Married- Who Is Your Next Of Kin by EfemenaXY: 7:42am On Apr 11, 2012
knowledge4: For better or for worse,my wife is always my next of kin.

Definitely with you on this.

My husband will always be my next of kin till death do us part.
Re: To The Married- Who Is Your Next Of Kin by tpia5: 9:23pm On Apr 28, 2012
victorian: I used to have this nice friend, who ususally comes to my office with her husband. And anyday they are with me, they all lovey dovey, as if person neva be in love before angry. I was like, wow my friend this marriage must be tight o.. She smiled and said its the grace of God. Then later, we got talking on next of kin and i told her, that mine is my youngest brother, cos am not yet married. i then asked her, i bet her own next of kin will be her husband. And she is hell No! I was like, what? shocked but why? U guys are like peas in a pod? dont u trust him? And guess what she said- Vicky, dont ever make yur husband yur next of kin,instead make the kids when they start rolling in, instead of him. I had to sit down and i was like, this is serious.. So, who is your next of kin for now, since you guys are about to have a baby, She said her elder Sister, and thats how it will be until she starts having kids. We argued this issue, throughout that day, but she was adamant that she will neva place her husband as next of kin.. I shook my head and say na wa o.. ok o.. She shook my shoulders and said Vic, u better learn o. I replied, av heared.. So, poster whichever makes u feel comfortable and ease to choose as next of kin, pls do it.. No need to quarrel.

you seem to spend a lot of time stalking and trailing married people.
Re: To The Married- Who Is Your Next Of Kin by Daresh(f): 10:35pm On Apr 28, 2012
I'm his next of kin, he is my next of kin. He even started using me as his next of kin before we even got married. I know that he will always take the best decisions for me as he knows me best and he knows I would always have his back , as long as he is good.
Re: To The Married- Who Is Your Next Of Kin by Outstrip(f): 4:23am On Apr 29, 2012
For those of you who say you use your children, God forbod if something were to happen and your children are minors is it not the same husband that has control of the money until the children become adults?? It is never a good idea to make your children your next of kin or beneficiaries. You can set up a trust and make the trust your beneficiary

(1) (Reply)

Widow Jumps From A Burning Storey Building In Oke-afa / Have Begged Her To Leave My House, She Does Not. Now She Has Missed Her Period / Marrying A Man That Already Has Kids

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.