Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,333 members, 7,808,176 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:05 AM

Dangote To Invest $7Bn In Power & Petrochemicals In Nigeria In 3 Years - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Dangote To Invest $7Bn In Power & Petrochemicals In Nigeria In 3 Years (7117 Views)

Dangote To Invest N500bn In Two 550km Gas Pipeline / Private Sector Investment In Cement Industry Hits $7bn / Dangote To Invest $12 Billion In Nigerian Economy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dangote To Invest $7Bn In Power & Petrochemicals In Nigeria In 3 Years by Odutodaiwa: 6:43pm On Apr 09, 2012
May God bless Aliko Dangote. If only we could have 20 Aliko Dangotes from the North I am sure Southerners will not be abusing Northerners in Nigeria. We all love good things but...

President, Dangote Group of Companies, Alhaji Aliko Dangote, plans to invest $7 billion in power, petrochemical and mining sectors of the economy within the next four years.

Dangote said he will be contributing $2.5 billion to these projects while $4.5 billion will be borrowed from reputable international lenders such the International Finance Corporation (IFC).

He disclosed these at a send off for the IFC Vice-President, Sub-Saharan Africa, Latin America and Caribbean and Western Europe, Mr Thierry Tanoh, in Lagos.
The funds, he said, will be deployed in generating 2,000 mega watts of electricity. ”We want we want to do power, that will be about 2,000 mw, that is infrastructure. We will be investing in petrochemical, which has to do with fertiliser and so on. We will do mining. These three things in the next three years, will be gulp $7 billion. We will put down our equity of about $2.5 billion and borrow $4.5 billion dollars,” he said.

Dangote commended IFC for committing huge funds to the Group businesses when many international lenders were not ready to give out credit to African companies. He noted that from as at 2006, the total loan portfolio in Africa was $150 million but has now increased to about $2 billion.

Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) Governor, Sanusi Lamido Sanusi said the IFC has worked like a development bank with an eye on returns, adding that the bank has carried out development projects in a manner that allows it make good money while contributing to growth and development of the economy.

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/business/42455-dangote-to-invest-7b-in-power-others.html
Re: Dangote To Invest $7Bn In Power & Petrochemicals In Nigeria In 3 Years by blacksta(m): 6:48pm On Apr 09, 2012
yawns
Re: Dangote To Invest $7Bn In Power & Petrochemicals In Nigeria In 3 Years by OAM4J: 12:58pm On Apr 10, 2012
This is indeed a good one.

I wish all Nigerian 'looters' can at least invest their loots for the benefit of their citizens like Dangote is doing.

2 Likes

Re: Dangote To Invest $7Bn In Power & Petrochemicals In Nigeria In 3 Years by Nobody: 1:10pm On Apr 10, 2012
Once i see 15hrs uninterrupted power supply, i would come back to hail him.. Talk is cheap!!!

1 Like

Re: Dangote To Invest $7Bn In Power & Petrochemicals In Nigeria In 3 Years by aca77: 1:17pm On Apr 10, 2012
Good initiative no doubt. But we must note that Dangote is a capitalist, and so there is nothing altruistic in this ambitious new project. Hopefully this would help triple his net-worth if it proves successful. Therefore I can only commend him for being a focused and smart businessman, not 'thank' or 'praise' him for an initiative that is clearly profit orientated and not in the least charitable.

2 Likes

Re: Dangote To Invest $7Bn In Power & Petrochemicals In Nigeria In 3 Years by Ejine(m): 1:23pm On Apr 10, 2012
MO-NO-PO-LEEEEE!
Aliko never disappoints cool
Re: Dangote To Invest $7Bn In Power & Petrochemicals In Nigeria In 3 Years by Ejine(m): 1:27pm On Apr 10, 2012
And as for the peeps actually praising this guy? Shame, shame, shame.
You have no idea how your future is being mortgaged
Re: Dangote To Invest $7Bn In Power & Petrochemicals In Nigeria In 3 Years by babaowo: 1:28pm On Apr 10, 2012
OAM4J: This is indeed a good one.

I wish all Nigerian 'looters' can at least invest their loots for the benefit of their citizens like Dangote is doing.
... He is d bank to pdp looters!
Re: Dangote To Invest $7Bn In Power & Petrochemicals In Nigeria In 3 Years by ocheejemb: 1:36pm On Apr 10, 2012
Dangote is not a politician...His talk is not cheap...well obviously it isnt lol
Re: Dangote To Invest $7Bn In Power & Petrochemicals In Nigeria In 3 Years by ocheejemb: 1:37pm On Apr 10, 2012
I mean if he monopolizes Power as well and we have to pay through the teeth i dont mind...as long as we can have stablepower
Re: Dangote To Invest $7Bn In Power & Petrochemicals In Nigeria In 3 Years by Nobody: 1:44pm On Apr 10, 2012
this man has the money and what it takes to re-brand Nigeria... so let pray
Re: Dangote To Invest $7Bn In Power & Petrochemicals In Nigeria In 3 Years by users1: 1:45pm On Apr 10, 2012
This is an investment,[img]http://www.spgames.info/g.gif[/img]
Re: Dangote To Invest $7Bn In Power & Petrochemicals In Nigeria In 3 Years by Exponental(m): 1:49pm On Apr 10, 2012
GCON...... He is really proving d honor.
Re: Dangote To Invest $7Bn In Power & Petrochemicals In Nigeria In 3 Years by buJu234: 1:58pm On Apr 10, 2012
this is what GEJ & the PDP cacus have been waiting 4; they all make sure that the power & mining industry suffer;
so that their man Dangote will come and invest in it; then in future; bcom d only player in it.

then u will hear he has the biggest private power plant in Nigeria & also one of the biggest mining companies;
plus his Cement; Sugar etc...

what a country?
Re: Dangote To Invest $7Bn In Power & Petrochemicals In Nigeria In 3 Years by denitro(m): 2:15pm On Apr 10, 2012
Odu-toda-iwa:
We want to do power, that will be about 2,000 mw

LOL... DUMMY
When others are aiming for 5000MW+
Re: Dangote To Invest $7Bn In Power & Petrochemicals In Nigeria In 3 Years by Nobody: 2:16pm On Apr 10, 2012
buJu-234:
this is what GEJ & the PDP cacus have been waiting 4; they all make sure that the power & mining industry suffer;
so that their man Dangote will come and invest in it; then in future; bcom d only player in it.

then u will hear he has the biggest private power plant in Nigeria & also one of the biggest mining companies;

what a country?
Not true. Did you try investing and you were stopped?

Dangote's cement ambition has peaked and he is putting the whole process on autopilot by listing on the LSE and relinquishing some of his power. It is only natural, for him to go into another untapped sector.

He may wield monopolistic power in cement which is also a form of mining but having fears that he will take over mining as a whole is purely impossible, what I believe he will do in the long run is choose like 5-10 ores to exploit fully.
Re: Dangote To Invest $7Bn In Power & Petrochemicals In Nigeria In 3 Years by Gentleboby: 2:22pm On Apr 10, 2012
Go ahead.
Re: Dangote To Invest $7Bn In Power & Petrochemicals In Nigeria In 3 Years by crackhouse(m): 2:28pm On Apr 10, 2012
Newspaper report
Re: Dangote To Invest $7Bn In Power & Petrochemicals In Nigeria In 3 Years by crackhouse(m): 2:29pm On Apr 10, 2012
Or u can call it newspaper investment.
Re: Dangote To Invest $7Bn In Power & Petrochemicals In Nigeria In 3 Years by edicolove: 2:47pm On Apr 10, 2012
buJu-234:

what a country?

Funny comment from another negative Nigerian. So is it PDP that have been destroying the infrastructure since the 70s? The last time checked, PDP has been ruling since 1999 but the power problem has been there almost like forever.

Secondly, the state governments have been given the go ahead to build their power generating stations and some have already started. So how is he or GEJ monopolising anything. Why can't some of you just receive good news and be happy for one second. It is a terrible medical condition not to be able to smile or not to be able to see good in anything. Watch it bro.

1 Like

Re: Dangote To Invest $7Bn In Power & Petrochemicals In Nigeria In 3 Years by Fhemmmy: 2:58pm On Apr 10, 2012
Ijogz K: Once i see 15hrs uninterrupted power supply, i would come back to hail him.. Talk is cheap!!!

You dont need to wait to see nothing . . . How many people of his caliber has their money in Nigeria? not to talk of investing in a nation they stole the money from.
here is a man that blvs in Nigeria and investing into her, and yet we wanna complain?

1 Like

Re: Dangote To Invest $7Bn In Power & Petrochemicals In Nigeria In 3 Years by Arosa(m): 3:05pm On Apr 10, 2012
edicolove:

Funny comment from another negative Nigerian. So is it PDP that have been destroying the infrastructure since the 70s? The last time checked, PDP has been ruling since 1999 but the power problem has been there almost like forever.

Secondly, the state governments have been given the go ahead to build their power generating stations and some have already started. So how is he or GEJ monopolising anything. Why can't some of you just receive good news and be happy for one second. It is a terrible medical condition not to be able to smile or not to be able to see good in anything. Watch it bro.

I agree, Some of this peeps are exhibiting mild signs of depression. I recommended prozac for them, but predictable they refuse to take it. undecided
Re: Dangote To Invest $7Bn In Power & Petrochemicals In Nigeria In 3 Years by Nobody: 3:24pm On Apr 10, 2012
Last year, I heard about dangote's investment in the petrochemical industry by building a fertilizer plant in Edo state. I believe the guy despite the fact that i'm aware that he is highly favored by the govt. nevertheless, he must be commended for his investment in Nigeria's economy. My advice for engineers in Nigeria and diaspora (especially chemical, mechanical, safety, instrument, and electrical engineers) is that they shld get acquinted with the petrochemical industry operations/process plants (olefins, fertilizer, methanol, polyethylene plants, etc) cos there are lots of investments in this angle. This is the economy drive of the middle east nations now. They rely less on Oil than gas. I am also aware a methanol plant will soon be built in lekki free trade zone. So this is the time to start preparing yourself for the forth-coming jobs in the oil and gas downstream sector. It is well with Nigeria.....
Re: Dangote To Invest $7Bn In Power & Petrochemicals In Nigeria In 3 Years by Fhemmmy: 3:27pm On Apr 10, 2012
Arosa:

I agree, Some of this peeps are exhibiting mild signs of depression. I recommended prozac for them, but predictable they refuse to take it. undecided

Lol
Re: Dangote To Invest $7Bn In Power & Petrochemicals In Nigeria In 3 Years by mjconcept(m): 3:34pm On Apr 10, 2012
grin grin grin grin
Arosa:

grin
Arosa:

Re: Dangote To Invest $7Bn In Power & Petrochemicals In Nigeria In 3 Years by Amacaco: 3:38pm On Apr 10, 2012
I stay in Abakaliki, Ebonyi State and I am satisfied with Electricity supply in my own pat of the town. Between 2008 and July 2011, the average electricity supply was about 4hours per day. It became worse between February and July 2011 when it went down to about 2hrs per day. But the situation has changed since August 2011 as the power supply has remained at an average of 19hrs per day till today.If Dangote invests in power generation, I strongly believe power shortage will be a thing of the past if government does something in the area of distribution and maintenance of facilities.
Re: Dangote To Invest $7Bn In Power & Petrochemicals In Nigeria In 3 Years by Echala: 4:23pm On Apr 10, 2012
The fact that Dangote has seen the sector a viable one for him to invest in, is a good sign that GEJ's power reform is not fiction. Dangote is very close to the seat of power and wont be wasting his time in that sector if things werent about to take a turn for the better.
Re: Dangote To Invest $7Bn In Power & Petrochemicals In Nigeria In 3 Years by Ozonna(m): 4:31pm On Apr 10, 2012
wise_many2k: Last year, I heard about dangote's investment in the petrochemical industry by building a fertilizer plant in Edo state. I believe the guy despite the fact that i'm aware that he is highly favored by the govt. nevertheless, he must be commended for his investment in Nigeria's economy. My advice for engineers in Nigeria and diaspora (especially chemical, mechanical, safety, instrument, and electrical engineers) is that they shld get acquinted with the petrochemical industry operations/process plants (olefins, fertilizer, methanol, polyethylene plants, etc) cos there are lots of investments in this angle. This is the economy drive of the middle east nations now. They rely less on Oil than gas. I am also aware a methanol plant will soon be built in lekki free trade zone. So this is the time to start preparing yourself for the forth-coming jobs in the oil and gas downstream. sector. It is well with Nigeria.....

Well said sir.
Re: Dangote To Invest $7Bn In Power & Petrochemicals In Nigeria In 3 Years by emsquare(m): 5:39pm On Apr 10, 2012
OAM4J: This is indeed a good one.

Well said!
Re: Dangote To Invest $7Bn In Power & Petrochemicals In Nigeria In 3 Years by Afam4eva(m): 5:53pm On Apr 10, 2012
I thought the government wants to privatize electricity. Why are they allowing a politician to invest in it. This is another monopoly in the offing.
Re: Dangote To Invest $7Bn In Power & Petrochemicals In Nigeria In 3 Years by doctimothy: 6:04pm On Apr 10, 2012
Well..... Since he'll soon be floating his company in the stock market means he's giving Nigerians the opportunity to own part of it. Since there are no other rich men in Nigeria who can step up and profer solutions, we'll just have to settle for this guy

1 Like

Re: Dangote To Invest $7Bn In Power & Petrochemicals In Nigeria In 3 Years by Fhemmmy: 6:58pm On Apr 10, 2012
doctimothy: Well..... Since he'll soon be floating his company in the stock market means he's giving Nigerians the opportunity to own part of it. Since there are no other rich men in Nigeria who can step up and profer solutions, we'll just have to settle for this guy

Abi now

(1) (2) (Reply)

‘Nigerians Spent N6.7 Trillion On Imported Consumables In 2015’ / My Binary Trading Journey With A Capital Of $50 / Reasons You Should Start Selling On Jumia And Konga Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.