Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,910 members, 7,799,062 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 02:43 PM

Which Musical Instrument(s) Are You Playing Or Would Love To Play? - Music/Radio (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Which Musical Instrument(s) Are You Playing Or Would Love To Play? (12285 Views)

Which Of The Musical Instruments Do You Love Playing Or Listening To / Collaborations Between Nigerian And Foreign Musicians You Will Love To See / Which Musical Instrument Can You Play? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Musical Instrument(s) Are You Playing Or Would Love To Play? by 1forall: 12:24pm On Jun 02, 2012
I was trying to learn to play the sax but my motivation has waned lately. Was trying to learn by self but it looks like I could use some guidance. It would be nice to have a partner with whom I could learn and raise my motivation. Anyone got tips or helpful learning material?
Guitarlife? Femility?
Re: Which Musical Instrument(s) Are You Playing Or Would Love To Play? by Nobody: 1:06pm On Jun 02, 2012
1forall: I was trying to learn to play the sax but my motivation has waned lately. Was trying to learn by self but it looks like I could use some guidance. It would be nice to have a partner with whom I could learn and raise my motivation. Anyone got tips or helpful learning material?
Guitarlife? Femility?
I understand you too well. Your problem is generic. How? If you wanna make an headway in music and enjoy the rest of your music life(which is the rest of your life by the way), 'DO NOT START MUSIC WITH SOLO iNSTRUMENT'. So many casaulties of this mistake it leads to frustration and in extreme cases depression.
The truth is you will abandon sax for now, get a guitar(acoustic ) or a keyboard and understand the concept of chord progression's.
Once you break this myth believe me you will choose any instrument you want. I play guitar, sax, violin and piano but I started with an acoustic for year's and i had become grounded in principle's of chordal arrangements and jazz substituions like tritonels before picking up other instruments but then, it was like a tea party. I hope this helped.
Re: Which Musical Instrument(s) Are You Playing Or Would Love To Play? by Phikom(m): 1:16pm On Jun 02, 2012
I would love 2 play guitar need a tutor
Re: Which Musical Instrument(s) Are You Playing Or Would Love To Play? by EFFRAKATA: 1:25pm On Jun 02, 2012
I play Acoustic Guitar. Spanish rythms on ma mind. E F F# G G# A A# B C C# D D# E
Re: Which Musical Instrument(s) Are You Playing Or Would Love To Play? by 01awelewa(m): 1:57pm On Jun 02, 2012
Guy,hint me on how to use Minor chord,Dim chord,Aug chord and Sus chords on piano.....
Re: Which Musical Instrument(s) Are You Playing Or Would Love To Play? by Nobody: 2:08pm On Jun 02, 2012
01awelewa: Guy,hint me on how to use Minor chord,Dim chord,Aug chord and Sus chords on piano.....
they are used mainly as passing chord's.
Re: Which Musical Instrument(s) Are You Playing Or Would Love To Play? by 1forall: 2:52pm On Jun 02, 2012
Guitarlife: I understand you too well. Your problem is generic. How? If you wanna make an headway in music and enjoy the rest of your music life(which is the rest of your life by the way), 'DO NOT START MUSIC WITH SOLO iNSTRUMENT'. So many casaulties of this mistake it leads to frustration and in extreme cases depression.
The truth is you will abandon sax for now, get a guitar(acoustic ) or a keyboard and understand the concept of chord progression's.
Once you break this myth believe me you will choose any instrument you want.

So in short I just dey waste my time since or what?
Re: Which Musical Instrument(s) Are You Playing Or Would Love To Play? by atasteve: 3:14pm On Jun 02, 2012
I play bass guitar
Re: Which Musical Instrument(s) Are You Playing Or Would Love To Play? by Santi222(m): 3:32pm On Jun 02, 2012
@ Guitar Life. For how long did u play guitar before venturing into oda instruments? And how long have u been playing music, in general? I'd like to know cos I wanna give up on guitar.. I play too slowly for my liking and at the moment, Jazz seems like light years away. I've started in Jan. 2010. I believe pple who start playing 4rm childhood have a distinct advantage over older learners! And for God's sake, what are tritonels?
Re: Which Musical Instrument(s) Are You Playing Or Would Love To Play? by Nobody: 3:34pm On Jun 02, 2012
Guitarlife: have you ever seen a musical instrument in a mosque?
Music is a spirit believe me and it's an instrument of christian worship.
For you to make a break through in music or any instrument you've got to be intoxicated by that spirit.
Now some binge on that spirit and go ahead to use the gift for diverse other reason's .
Why do you think some people have been learning to play an instrument for year's even with good instructional materials and they never break even.
Most people who contributed to my musicianship are now lagging way behind me. I mean people who taught me the rope's.
All the song's they play in the army are all tune's of christian hymn's o.
The church is the spinal chord that music rests on and you can never find any where you will be taught to play a musical instrument that you won't have to play christian stuff's cos it's the christian's that developed the real music.(i mean real and good stuffs like jazz, chordal application's, tritone's e.t.c )
Ps: i know it might be difficult to understand me easily that was why I took the pain. I hope you understand now.
And what makes you think am muslim?
Re: Which Musical Instrument(s) Are You Playing Or Would Love To Play? by Nobody: 3:59pm On Jun 02, 2012
1forall:

So in short I just dey waste my time since or what?
technically yes, Cos all you are doing now is taking a shortcut. I bet you don't even know how chords are formed ,you just want to be able to play song's it can only take you so far cos when you get to the real use of saxophone which is to improvise you will be totally lost.
Well, you still can wow some ignorant few sha with your pentatonic scale but i hate mediocrity.
I meant tritone's. They are used as substitutes for major chords to put that jazzy sound especially when you are harmonising worchip song's.
Re: Which Musical Instrument(s) Are You Playing Or Would Love To Play? by Nobody: 4:02pm On Jun 02, 2012
Santi222: @ Guitar Life. For how long did u play guitar before venturing into oda instruments? And how long have u been playing music, in general? I'd like to know cos I wanna give up on guitar.. I play too slowly for my liking and at the moment, Jazz seems like light years away. I've started in Jan. 2010. I believe pple who start playing 4rm childhood have a distinct advantage over older learners! And for God's sake, what are tritonels?
I meant tritones. Read the post up for it's use.
Well i guess all you need is a little patience please hang in there.
And alway's hang around professionals the info you will get is priceless.
Nobody said it was easy especially when you want to play and sing simultaneously and BTW, tritone's are for very advanced guitarists. Do not bother yourself for now.
Re: Which Musical Instrument(s) Are You Playing Or Would Love To Play? by 01awelewa(m): 4:32pm On Jun 02, 2012
@ Guiterman,wen and how can we apply them wen playing and moreso tell me how solo melody is form wen playing to a song u don't know the sofa note?
Re: Which Musical Instrument(s) Are You Playing Or Would Love To Play? by Nobody: 4:48pm On Jun 02, 2012
01awelewa: @ Guiterman,wen and how can we apply them wen playing and moreso tell me how solo melody is form wen playing to a song u don't know the sofa note?
once you establish the progression of the song, e.g if it's I--IV--V--I then choose a scale diatonic being the commonest like doh ray me fah soh lah ti doh.
Or pentatonic e.g doh ray me soh lah. So for the pentatonic choice while soloing as you must have noticed it does not have fah and ti hence you have to avoid those too notes like plaque when soloing. Do you understand?
Re: Which Musical Instrument(s) Are You Playing Or Would Love To Play? by Onegai(f): 6:51pm On Jun 02, 2012
For anyone wanting to buy instruments in Lagos, do this: first find a music school around you, then talk to them, ask them about the price of your instrument, most won't lie. Then go to Ojuelegba, there are some music shops there. For those of us wanting an upright piano, brand new is about N600,000 and 2nd-hand is N350,000. I'd love an upright. For violin buy the N28-30,000 one, or start with the N12,000 one, then progress. Prices are as recent as of yesterday. Hope this helps.
And teaching yourself requires a crap-load of discipline, it took me years to learn the little I knew, but in less than a month of piano classes, my finger movement has changed and I can read a little. Find a music student and cut them a deal, don't pay much unless you're going to learn at Muson. If you wanna learn classical, play hymns, not contemporary church music. Anyone in Festac?
Re: Which Musical Instrument(s) Are You Playing Or Would Love To Play? by Nobody: 7:06pm On Jun 02, 2012
Onegai: For anyone wanting to buy instruments in Lagos, do this: first find a music school around you, then talk to them, ask them about the price of your instrument, most won't lie. Then go to Ojuelegba, there are some music shops there. For those of us wanting an upright piano, brand new is about N600,000 and 2nd-hand is N350,000. I'd love an upright. For violin buy the N28-30,000 one, or start with the N12,000 one, then progress. Prices are as recent as of yesterday. Hope this helps.
And teaching yourself requires a crap-load of discipline, it took me years to learn the little I knew, but in less than a month of piano classes, my finger movement has changed and I can read a little. Find a music student and cut them a deal, don't pay much unless you're going to learn at Muson. If you wanna learn classical, play hymns, not contemporary church music. Anyone in Festac?
how much does a semi acoustic violin go for? I mean the one you can connect to the amplifier like a guitar.
Re: Which Musical Instrument(s) Are You Playing Or Would Love To Play? by Nobody: 7:08pm On Jun 02, 2012
Onegai: For anyone wanting to buy instruments in Lagos, do this: first find a music school around you, then talk to them, ask them about the price of your instrument, most won't lie. Then go to Ojuelegba, there are some music shops there. For those of us wanting an upright piano, brand new is about N600,000 and 2nd-hand is N350,000. I'd love an upright. For violin buy the N28-30,000 one, or start with the N12,000 one, then progress. Prices are as recent as of yesterday. Hope this helps.
hi onegai, do you provide lessons in violin or know someone who does? u live in festac or wat?
Re: Which Musical Instrument(s) Are You Playing Or Would Love To Play? by 1forall: 7:27pm On Jun 02, 2012
Guitarlife: technically yes, Cos all you are doing now is taking a shortcut. I bet you don't even know how chords are formed ,you just want to be able to play song's it can only take you so far cos when you get to the real use of saxophone which is to improvise you will be totally lost.
Well, you still can wow some ignorant few sha with your pentatonic scale but i hate mediocrity.
I meant tritone's. They are used as substitutes for major chords to put that jazzy sound especially when you are harmonising worchip song's.

Thanks for the encouragement!
Re: Which Musical Instrument(s) Are You Playing Or Would Love To Play? by femility(m): 7:39pm On Jun 02, 2012
@1forall u can actually start with the saxophone if u hav undieing passion 4 it,for someone like i started ♍γ musical career with the saxophone and till now i have no problem with it infact am now enjoying it the most all u have to do is make sure ur music theory knowledge is very strong...even some of our jazz players dnt play keyboard,guiter and D̶̲̥̅̊ likes example kirk whalum and kenny g,they play sax and flute only...so if ur passion 4 it Iڪ genuine y not learn it...wish Ɣ☺u D̶̲̥̅̊ best
Re: Which Musical Instrument(s) Are You Playing Or Would Love To Play? by Dokintaoge: 8:30pm On Jun 02, 2012
That reminds me, i have this question to ask great NLs. Pls is it advisable for a lady to learn piano, is there any benefit to that? I'm asking cos i'm learning piano presently but i'm somehow discouraged now and i'm about to quit. Please need your candid advice. No insult.
Re: Which Musical Instrument(s) Are You Playing Or Would Love To Play? by Tobiustobius: 8:36pm On Jun 02, 2012
Dokintaoge: That reminds me, i have this question to ask great NLs. Pls is it advisable for a lady to learn piano, is there any benefit to that? I'm asking cos i'm learning piano presently but i'm somehow discouraged now and i'm about to quit. Please need your candid advice. No insult.

And how does your s€x (male or female) affect your playing the piano? Whether you're discouraged or not is a human thing, not a female thing.
Re: Which Musical Instrument(s) Are You Playing Or Would Love To Play? by brabus(m): 8:39pm On Jun 02, 2012
atasteve: I play bass guitar

I do trumpet and so good at it. cheesy
Re: Which Musical Instrument(s) Are You Playing Or Would Love To Play? by samsolite(m): 8:48pm On Jun 02, 2012
Onegai:

There's decent info online and on youtube, but first, what type of learner are you? I'm very visual so I struggled to teach myself and wasn't disciplined, which is why I enrolled in a school. So figure that out first. Then, next look for a grade 1 keyboard book, because you need to master finger-ing and scales. Also, volunteer yourself to a church, so you get all the practice time in the world and learn. You need practice, all the theory in the world won't help strengthen your fingers and train your ear. Try this page:
http://readsheetmusic.info/basics_of_counting_rhythms.shtml

Train your ear to try and score music i.e, look for songs you like and figure out how they played it. Why don't you post where you are, and see if a NLer is close by to teach you?
Am also a visual learner. Tnks 4 the advice tho. Any NLer in Jos? your help will be appreciated.
Re: Which Musical Instrument(s) Are You Playing Or Would Love To Play? by Reuben2012(m): 9:20pm On Jun 02, 2012
I think the most common talent God gave we human is singing or playing musical instrument.there is no how u will love music withoutnot learning to play one or two musical instrument. that is why they said God food is praise.i play guitar, anybody that like to play any instrument shd keep the fire burning dont let the motivation to quench,let the light shine in u.
Re: Which Musical Instrument(s) Are You Playing Or Would Love To Play? by Nobody: 10:11pm On Jun 02, 2012
@all, i live in warri and i love to learn how to play the piano and juitar and i dont kw i to go about it..........i reaaly need it cos i love to serve GOD with it (i guess dis is the unit i admire most).
Re: Which Musical Instrument(s) Are You Playing Or Would Love To Play? by rubi96(f): 10:32pm On Jun 02, 2012
will love to learn how to play violin but time wont permit , but i hope to before it is too late.
Re: Which Musical Instrument(s) Are You Playing Or Would Love To Play? by 01awelewa(m): 10:39pm On Jun 02, 2012
I got u @ Guiterman.....Thanks so much!!!How can i know a progression of a particular song too....Most especially slow blues songs!!!
Re: Which Musical Instrument(s) Are You Playing Or Would Love To Play? by powerblaze(m): 11:29pm On Jun 02, 2012
i play the piano.. love the rnb style tritone substitutions and neosoul.... makes ur play feel so sweet smiley i sing too... sound kina like jmoss.. need more practice though.. anyone with some tritone tutorials i'll gladly appreciate
Re: Which Musical Instrument(s) Are You Playing Or Would Love To Play? by lanreSamson: 12:02am On Jun 03, 2012
Someone said he is a pro at playing tamborine. Hahahahahahahahahha, when we small we play with tamborine not play tamborine. Tamborine!!!! hahhaahaha. Tamborine wey dem dey take clap for church. Everybody family get copy.
Re: Which Musical Instrument(s) Are You Playing Or Would Love To Play? by naturalwaves: 12:05am On Jun 03, 2012
I guess I'm d odd one out.My grand dad used 2 play an instrument.I told him 2 teach me ow 2 play it and he said it's impossible just lyk asking sm1 2 teach 1 ow 2 whistle.I picked up d instrument and observed,practiced,practiced and practiced.2day,I play dat instrument well at least 2 my satisfaction and dat instrument is no other than d BLUES HARP,OR HARMONICA OR MOUTH ORGAN.I play d chromatic harmonica wich enables me 2 play on any key of my choice be it C,D,E,F,G,A,B unlike d C-tuned harmonica.I'ld love 2 be beta.Does any1 play this instrument?
Re: Which Musical Instrument(s) Are You Playing Or Would Love To Play? by 01awelewa(m): 12:23am On Jun 03, 2012
I got it but i don't know how to play it....@all i reside in ABEOKUTA....Any 1 close to ma side?
Re: Which Musical Instrument(s) Are You Playing Or Would Love To Play? by Nobody: 2:39am On Jun 03, 2012
01awelewa: I got it but i don't know how to play it....@all i reside in ABEOKUTA....Any 1 close to ma side?
yeah! Drop your number and location I'll find you.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

P-square Phone Number / Mtn Project Fame Season 9 Auditions ! / Resonance - Has Anyone Heard Of Them?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.