Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,294 members, 7,807,999 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:02 AM

Army To Use Specially Trained Dogs To Fight Boko Haram - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Army To Use Specially Trained Dogs To Fight Boko Haram (8179 Views)

Nigerian Army To Increase Personnel Strength To 200,000 / A Thread Specially Dedicated To Governor "Rotimi Amaechi" For His Determination. / Buhari Should Call His 'Dogs' To Order – Asari Dokubo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Army To Use Specially Trained Dogs To Fight Boko Haram by Nobody: 10:08am On Apr 11, 2012
Members of Boko Haram sect are now to be hunted by military trained dogs with a specially trained squad.

Chief of Army Staff (COAS), Lieutenant-General Azubuike Ihejirika made this known at a workshop on “Enhancing Military Professionalism in the Nigerian Army to Meet Contemporary Challenges,” in Kaduna state, on Tuesday at the One Division of the Nigerian Army.

The Army chief noted that the Army would train a special squad in the art of using dogs to fight Boko Haram, a fundamentalist group which has been staging violent insurgency against government and security establishments.

“I’m glad to inform you that our second batch of our trainees on the use of dogs in the fight against terrorism have just completed their training and will soon be launched to join you to further make your work easier” the COAS said.

While criticizing the failure of the military in engaging the sect members in battle, Ihejiraka urged officers of the Joint Military Task Force combating the fundamentalist group in the North to be “alive to their duties” as he charged the soldiers to consider themselves at war with the sect.

All soldiers must be combat ready at all times he said, adding that it is unacceptable for members of the Boko Haram sect to engage troops at checkpoints without much resistance.

Ihejirika said, “It is high time for you and your men to be in war mood to be able to deal with the current challenges. Otherwise, how do you explain that troops at checkpoint duty would be attacked by these decadence? And they sometimes do that and get away with it. This is an area you must work on.

“As you are out in the field at every point in time, make sure you are either conducting an operation or you are gathering intelligence. You must be doing any of the two at any point in time. If your area is too quiet, you have a reason to get worried.”

He also enjoined the need for Commanding Officers to be innovative in tackling the worsening state of insecurity across the country.

“We believe that how your troops performance is a direct reflection of the qualities of their Commanding Officers. That is why you are assembled here for the next four days to brainstorm on matters of service interest in order to improve and sharpen your professional skills.”

He however, commended the troops for the recent respite in what he called terrorist attacks in the North-West and North-East regions of the country.

He also hinted that the Army would inaugurate 14 speed boats to be used in checking militancy in Niger Delta, in a bid to stop what he described as terrorism in the entire country.

www.channelstv.com/home/2012/04/11/dogs-to-hunt-for-boko-haram-members/
Re: Army To Use Specially Trained Dogs To Fight Boko Haram by Nobody: 11:55am On Apr 11, 2012
Dogs have the best smelling power, hence every check point should have a security dog smelling for explosives in cars and on persons!
Re: Army To Use Specially Trained Dogs To Fight Boko Haram by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 2:27pm On Apr 11, 2012
cogitoErgo: Dogs have the best smelling power, hence every check point should have a security dog smelling for explosives in cars and on persons!

With the heavy use of generators nation-wide and carbon-monoxide in our all-year-round traffic-jams, they are most likely to aid and abet BOKO-HARAM by chewing every driver they encounter - I think they have far more strategic use than sniffing home-made bombs. I think the military intends to use them same way the Police use them - Intimidation, Confusion and First-Attack. Imagine a Military-trained Dog rushing at you with kitted to the teeth with AK47-Kalashnikov, Black rubber boots and Military Camouflage - BOKO-HARAM go mass!

1 Like

Re: Army To Use Specially Trained Dogs To Fight Boko Haram by U09ce: 2:37pm On Apr 11, 2012
Naija.Are d dogs immortal?Do u mean BH guys will stay look wit their eyes while d so called dogs pounce on them?mcheeew
Re: Army To Use Specially Trained Dogs To Fight Boko Haram by darlingbas(m): 2:47pm On Apr 11, 2012
the topic of this thread got me cranking, anyone heard of 404 pepper-soup. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Army To Use Specially Trained Dogs To Fight Boko Haram by bunmconig(m): 2:51pm On Apr 11, 2012
at least the trained dogs will do something if not everything, to track those BK sect down before they split this country.
Re: Army To Use Specially Trained Dogs To Fight Boko Haram by Nobody: 2:56pm On Apr 11, 2012
nama
Re: Army To Use Specially Trained Dogs To Fight Boko Haram by mygsmnairacom(m): 3:06pm On Apr 11, 2012
Any effective way to fight these guys is ok with me.
Re: Army To Use Specially Trained Dogs To Fight Boko Haram by Ofuks(m): 3:06pm On Apr 11, 2012
Dogs indeed...another white elephant project. Kudos to the pot bellied contractor who sold this money minting idea to the military brass!
Re: Army To Use Specially Trained Dogs To Fight Boko Haram by Mrkelvyn08(m): 3:12pm On Apr 11, 2012
cogitoErgo: Dogs have the best smelling power, hence every check point should have a security dog smelling for explosives in cars and on persons!

I totally agree wit u..well said[color=#006600][/color]
Re: Army To Use Specially Trained Dogs To Fight Boko Haram by mikron(m): 3:23pm On Apr 11, 2012
i dey laugh in bayelsa grin grin grin grin grin dogs to fight boko haram? if humans with all their guns and firepower have not been able to curb these deadly terrorists is it common dogs with their teeth that will succeed where the almighty Nigerian army has failed? i dey sidon and look undecided
Re: Army To Use Specially Trained Dogs To Fight Boko Haram by omosexy1: 3:30pm On Apr 11, 2012
I think the Army should step up their game for the safety and unity of the country. The Boko Haram menace is like a disease if allow to grow, it eats up the body. I fear with the way things are we might be seeing a Mali situation, where terrorists gain grounds and begin to request for independence. I believe the sect do not want to negotiate with the Govt, there is nothing to negotiate, rather they want Nigeria to be under strict muslim control.
Re: Army To Use Specially Trained Dogs To Fight Boko Haram by kokoA(m): 3:31pm On Apr 11, 2012
what men cannot do, dog can do better. grin
Re: Army To Use Specially Trained Dogs To Fight Boko Haram by asoebi(m): 3:35pm On Apr 11, 2012
So those dogs now have the ability to intercept bombs abi chaii only for naija tongue tongue
Re: Army To Use Specially Trained Dogs To Fight Boko Haram by michkosi(m): 3:38pm On Apr 11, 2012
dogs!!!!! dats really funny a better way should be implemented if only d doggy are immortal.. grin grin grin grin
Re: Army To Use Specially Trained Dogs To Fight Boko Haram by emsquare(m): 3:50pm On Apr 11, 2012

True!
Re: Army To Use Specially Trained Dogs To Fight Boko Haram by jidewin(m): 3:53pm On Apr 11, 2012
Teheheheh,if d dogs don't end up as more suya namma,walai talai dem go chop mallam s.hit tire.
Na where u see dem dey use dog trace C4-made bombs....u think say when d dog discovers they will DISABLE the bomb or the carrier?.....abeg bo,no wound me with laffta du allah.
More billions to go down the drain.
Re: Army To Use Specially Trained Dogs To Fight Boko Haram by Afam4eva(m): 3:55pm On Apr 11, 2012
What will the dogs be trying to smell? Do bokoharamists have a perculiar smell?
Re: Army To Use Specially Trained Dogs To Fight Boko Haram by Honeycity(f): 4:37pm On Apr 11, 2012
another white elephant project just like the CCTV that never saw the light of the day
Re: Army To Use Specially Trained Dogs To Fight Boko Haram by oradee: 4:46pm On Apr 11, 2012
so in the vast hither land of the north, no living northern soul can tip-off security operatives of the activities of boko haram?
Re: Army To Use Specially Trained Dogs To Fight Boko Haram by Shakara123(m): 4:49pm On Apr 11, 2012
Is this supposed to be news? So much for talks, just get the job done. If you have an enemy, keep him engaged with his thoughts and what he feels you want to do.
Re: Army To Use Specially Trained Dogs To Fight Boko Haram by Reptyle(m): 4:49pm On Apr 11, 2012
lagerwhenindoubt:

With the heavy use of generators nation-wide and carbon-monoxide in our all-year-round traffic-jams, they are most likely to aid and abet BOKO-HARAM by chewing every driver they encounter - I think they have far more strategic use than sniffing home-made bombs. I think the military intends to use them same way the Police use them - Intimidation, Confusion and First-Attack. Imagine a Military-trained Dog rushing at you with kitted to the teeth with AK47-Kalashnikov, Black rubber boots and Military Camouflage - BOKO-HARAM go mass!

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Army To Use Specially Trained Dogs To Fight Boko Haram by Jabioro: 4:57pm On Apr 11, 2012
We are waiting for the dogs,and another fresh meat for aboki.
Re: Army To Use Specially Trained Dogs To Fight Boko Haram by prettyboi1(m): 5:00pm On Apr 11, 2012
Nice move by the Nigerian army. These specially trained dogs usually play a very great role in fighting terrorism. These terrorists carry bombs in different ways either in vehicles or in wired forms in the case of suicide bombers & soldiers & these security agents are only humans & can't know who is who but these dogs are trained to sniff bombs & military equipments & raise alert levels. I had always suggested this & I'm glad the military now has a dog squad.
Re: Army To Use Specially Trained Dogs To Fight Boko Haram by kokoA(m): 5:14pm On Apr 11, 2012
Won't be so nice seeing pieces of dog meat scattered all over after explosions o.. eewwwww!
Re: Army To Use Specially Trained Dogs To Fight Boko Haram by dridowu: 5:22pm On Apr 11, 2012
If this is true , then i will soon get job with FG be dat becos i b VETERINARY DOCTOR..........................................

2 Likes

Re: Army To Use Specially Trained Dogs To Fight Boko Haram by Ozonna(m): 5:23pm On Apr 11, 2012
afam4eva: What will the dogs be trying to smell? Do bokoharamists have a perculiar smell?

I wonder
Re: Army To Use Specially Trained Dogs To Fight Boko Haram by Akaraiwe(m): 5:26pm On Apr 11, 2012
Sniffer dogs all over the world have got lots of advantages on security work. You can't equal the lives of one human with 500dogs. A well trained dog doesn't compromise or take bribe. Also no one on earth wants to be bitten by a dog. Dogs are loyal to their owners/handlers. If this development is followed up as planned. It will curb their(Boko Haram) activities to a large extent
Re: Army To Use Specially Trained Dogs To Fight Boko Haram by newmaonza: 5:28pm On Apr 11, 2012
His share of d natiönal cake is assured with imported Dogs
Re: Army To Use Specially Trained Dogs To Fight Boko Haram by MissC1: 5:31pm On Apr 11, 2012
oh my gudnes,am lafn wt my two legs up.ur guz opinion swt pas bushmeat i swear. Dog fightin boko haram? They ar indirectly introducing 404 meat nd dat wl b nice.wat army cnt do dog wl do it beta.una name na sory, ezikwo ;Doh my gudnes,am lafn wt my two legs up.ur guz opinion swt pas bushmeat i swear. Dog fightin boko haram? They ar indirectly introducing 404 meat nd dat wl b nice.wat army cnt do dog wl do it beta.una name na sory, ezikwo
Re: Army To Use Specially Trained Dogs To Fight Boko Haram by newmaonza: 5:32pm On Apr 11, 2012
Akaraiwe: Sniffer dogs all over the world have got lots of advantages on security work. You can't equal the lives of one human with 500dogs. A well trained dog doesn't compromise or take bribe. Also no one on earth wants to be bitten by a dog. Dogs are loyal to their owners/handlers. If this development is followed up as planned. It will curb their(Boko Haram) activities to a large extent
Plz undastand dat in Naija any dog wen no collect bribe go lick shiit tire

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

2015 ELECTION RESULTS: JEGA Ignored Jonathan's Phone Call / Bala Mohammed Granted N500m Bail / Lawan, Gbajabiamila Under Pressure Over Juicy Committee

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.