Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,902 members, 7,802,927 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:36 AM

Lagos State To Legalize Voluntary Cremation Of Corpses - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos State To Legalize Voluntary Cremation Of Corpses (6276 Views)

Fuel Scarcity: FG Should Legalize Illegal Refineries - Murray-Bruce / Rivers: Tribunal Admits Photos Of Corpses Of Killed ‘voters’ / Fashola Signs Cremation Bill In To Law (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos State To Legalize Voluntary Cremation Of Corpses by donguutti: 11:58am On Apr 11, 2012
i stumbled across this while surfing the net, weird stuff.

Cremation may soon become a popular practice in the country as a bill seeking to legalise voluntary
cremation of the dead and unclaimed corpses yesterday, scaled the second reading on the floor of the
Lagos State House of Assembly. The bill entitled:  A bill to legalise voluntary cremation of corpses
and unclaimed corpses in Lagos State was sponsored by the chairman of the Assembly's Committee on Health
Care Services, Suru Avoseh.

The bill is aimed at tackling congestion in public mortuaries. While intimating his colleagues on the need
to support bill, Avoseh said it addressed the pathetic state of public mortuaries and challenges being faced
by health officials due to shortage of land for mass burial of unclaimed corpses.

He decried the present situation in which corpses are abandoned in mortuaries for several months, thereby
stretching the capacity of the mortuaries to its limits. He said:  During our visit to the mortuaries as a
member of the adhoc committee, I was disturbed to see heaps of corpses that were not claimed by their
relatives. So, Lagos should once again take the lead in the introduction of this legislation in the country.

http://nationalmirroronline.net/news/33263.html

http://www.punchng.com/news/cremation-bill/

Eko o NI Baje ooo
Re: Lagos State To Legalize Voluntary Cremation Of Corpses by GAR3TH(m): 12:03pm On Apr 11, 2012
The way you titled the thread undecided kinda misleading.

Cremation is a normal thing done all over the world, I was actually more surprised that it was illegal.
Re: Lagos State To Legalize Voluntary Cremation Of Corpses by donguutti: 12:09pm On Apr 11, 2012
Its not normal,first its against our religious and cultural beliefs, are we running out of spaces
to bury our dead.how 'normal' is it, why dont we import everything else that is 'normal' around the
world? e.g gays etc
Re: Lagos State To Legalize Voluntary Cremation Of Corpses by Nobody: 12:43pm On Apr 11, 2012
donguutti: Its not normal,first its against our religious and cultural beliefs, are we running out of spaces
to bury our dead.how 'normal' is it, why dont we import everything else that is 'normal' around the
world? e.g gays etc
People like you are Nigeria's problem.
And yes,Lagos have no more space for mass burial. If corpses are left unclaimed, one of two things should be done; medical research or cremation.
Please stop with the religious and cultural bullsh.t.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos State To Legalize Voluntary Cremation Of Corpses by Callotti: 12:48pm On Apr 11, 2012
They won't be missed for sure.
Re: Lagos State To Legalize Voluntary Cremation Of Corpses by mkmyers45(m): 1:16pm On Apr 11, 2012
donguutti: Its not normal,first its against our religious and cultural beliefs, are we running out of spaces
world? e.g gays etc

You are an he-doit.....what is wrong in cremating bodies? why don't you offer your backyard for the bodies to be dumped in? The level of religious and cultural naivety in Nigeria is alarming

1 Like

Re: Lagos State To Legalize Voluntary Cremation Of Corpses by juman(m): 1:36pm On Apr 11, 2012
Shortage of land for mass burial??

Why not bury the bodies at the state's outskirt.
Re: Lagos State To Legalize Voluntary Cremation Of Corpses by Nobody: 1:38pm On Apr 11, 2012
juman: Shortage of land for mass burial??

Why not bury the bodies at the state's outskirt.
Na u go pay for d land shey? Or that 'outskirt' won't be useful for industries?
Re: Lagos State To Legalize Voluntary Cremation Of Corpses by juman(m): 1:51pm On Apr 11, 2012
Darui:
Na u go pay for d land shey? Or that 'outskirt' won't be useful for industries?

The government has "unlimited" stretches of land.

Cremation of bodies is against our religions and customs.
Re: Lagos State To Legalize Voluntary Cremation Of Corpses by Sagamite(m): 1:52pm On Apr 11, 2012
Darui:
People like you are Nigeria's problem.
And yes,Lagos have no more space for mass burial. If corpses are left unclaimed, one of two things should be done; medical research or cremation.
Please stop with the religious and cultural bullsh.t.

GBAM!

mkmyers45:
You are an he-doit.....what is wrong in cremating bodies? why don't you offer your backyard for the bodies to be dumped in? The level of religious and cultural naivety in Nigeria is alarming

GBOSA!
Re: Lagos State To Legalize Voluntary Cremation Of Corpses by godello: 2:00pm On Apr 11, 2012
@mk45 u ar a slowpoke. He was only giving his opinion.
Re: Lagos State To Legalize Voluntary Cremation Of Corpses by asoebi(m): 2:05pm On Apr 11, 2012
To me I personally don't think its wrong, but what if someone comes back to claim a body that has already been burnt?, how are they going to retrieve the body again cos am very sure burning is an almost irreversible process, especially when you are burning to aches.
Re: Lagos State To Legalize Voluntary Cremation Of Corpses by donguutti: 2:06pm On Apr 11, 2012
a lot of reactionary dumbos on the thread, instead of stating ur reasons for supporting
cremation, ur more interested in calling names. maybe its the gay slant that is tipping u guys overboard.
i do not for any reason support cremation ,i dont oppose it for those who like it, but saying "Voluntary"
cremation for unclaimed corpses sounds like gibberish to me
Re: Lagos State To Legalize Voluntary Cremation Of Corpses by mygsmnairacom(m): 2:07pm On Apr 11, 2012
If this is passed as law, it gives legal backing to those who want to voluntarily cremate their dead (though I'm wondering if it was previously illegal, ie no enabling law). This law should be supported with the coroner's law which would make post-mortem investigation mandatory. (So that someone doesn't murder a loved one, and quickly cremate the body to hide evidence)
Re: Lagos State To Legalize Voluntary Cremation Of Corpses by mbulela: 2:12pm On Apr 11, 2012
world? e.g gays etc
does it matter how bodies are buried?
What is more important is how you lived and where you are headed to after death.
burial na wash wash.
Re: Lagos State To Legalize Voluntary Cremation Of Corpses by Sagamite(m): 2:13pm On Apr 11, 2012
donguutti: a lot of reactionary dumbos on the thread, instead of stating ur reasons for supporting
cremation, ur more interested in calling names. maybe its the gay slant that is tipping u guys overboard.
i do not for any reason support cremation ,i dont oppose it for those who like it, but saying "Voluntary"
cremation for unclaimed corpses sounds like gibberish to me

You are a cretin!

So you think saying it is against our religion and customs is the intelligent "stating ur reasons".

Foool! You got the apt response to your stewpid comments.
Re: Lagos State To Legalize Voluntary Cremation Of Corpses by Sagamite(m): 2:14pm On Apr 11, 2012
mygsmnaira.com:
If this is passed as law, it gives legal backing to those who want to voluntarily cremate their dead (though I'm wondering if it was previously illegal, ie no enabling law). This law should be supported with the coroner's law which would make post-mortem investigation mandatory. (So that someone doesn't murder a loved one, and quickly cremate the body to hide evidence)

Now this is an intelligent point and opinion.

donmugu, get out your notebook and start taking notes.
Re: Lagos State To Legalize Voluntary Cremation Of Corpses by WIMUNR(m): 2:17pm On Apr 11, 2012
What is the big deal about cremation anyway? The body is dead, the spirit gone....either burying or cremation, it doesn't change the fate of the dead person. Those saying it goes against religion, was Jesus not buried in a tomb, why don't we go about carving out tombs just to bury the dead then? Some folks are just so glued to an opinion and refuse to move on!
Re: Lagos State To Legalize Voluntary Cremation Of Corpses by Nobody: 2:23pm On Apr 11, 2012
juman:

If you don't know,there's nothing like unlimited natural resources. Even if lagos is large enough,the money is not 'unlimited'. And if you are so into your customs and religions,claim your corpses and bury them on your own land.
Re: Lagos State To Legalize Voluntary Cremation Of Corpses by lexus1: 3:14pm On Apr 11, 2012
juman:

I agree[img]http://www.spgames.info/g.gif[/img]
Re: Lagos State To Legalize Voluntary Cremation Of Corpses by Homar(m): 3:25pm On Apr 11, 2012
Am just wondering . Can somebody explain what the ffuck is cremation of dead bodies ?
Re: Lagos State To Legalize Voluntary Cremation Of Corpses by Dsage1: 3:32pm On Apr 11, 2012
Cremation is alien to our culture and religions belief,i dnt think its a right tin for any govt to make it legal since its against our traditions.

Cremation to those that started it,was not as a result of lack/inadequate land to buried their dead but culture/tradition.
Re: Lagos State To Legalize Voluntary Cremation Of Corpses by tpcom1(m): 3:34pm On Apr 11, 2012
@Homar, Cremation is a process where the remains of a person is put through fire in a controlled environment called a Crematorium to burn the remains of the person into ash. It's just like when the mallam burns off coal, the white residue at the bottom of the suya man's grill is called Ash. normally, the relative of teh person who passed away take the ashes of the person and either store in their homes or scatter the ash in any location of their choice....(I'ts relatively harmless to the environment if spread in an open field away from anywhere it can be ingested by a living person or into the sea)

It's cheaper to cremate a body than full burial, the remians is burnt, ashes packed up, end of story.

Cremation, if properly managed as another person has suggested will leave a corpse free environment and hopefully reduce the plauge of rotten corpses casing diseases. and also ritualists will not be able to dig up any corpses for their rotten business.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos State To Legalize Voluntary Cremation Of Corpses by Afam4eva(m): 3:38pm On Apr 11, 2012
Lagos state is still reaching out to different bodies concerning this cremation issue and most religious groups are against it. Bishop osu for one, says it's unafrocan to cremate the dead. I really don't see why lagos should be looking at cremation for now, as there's no shortage of land in the state.
Re: Lagos State To Legalize Voluntary Cremation Of Corpses by walcolm(m): 4:16pm On Apr 11, 2012
there is definitely shortage of land in Lagos unless we want to create a cemetery on every street

i expect this bill to pass through and it will mostly affect unclaimed bodies that are clogging the mortuaries

anyone who wants to bury their dead in Lagos as opposed to their village must be willing to pay the premium that will be required.
Re: Lagos State To Legalize Voluntary Cremation Of Corpses by emsquare(m): 4:17pm On Apr 11, 2012
mygsmnaira.com:

You av a point there!

1 Like

Re: Lagos State To Legalize Voluntary Cremation Of Corpses by Starlett: 4:21pm On Apr 11, 2012
Na wa o. Are these more and more signs of the rapid Westernization of lagos or what?

Anyway, my understanding from Scriptures is that one day every dead will rise, regardless of the mode of death or mode of disposal of the remains.

True, Lagos is virtually sitting on water, but has it come to this so quickly?
Re: Lagos State To Legalize Voluntary Cremation Of Corpses by mkmyers45(m): 5:05pm On Apr 11, 2012
godello: @mk45 u ar a slowpoke. He was only giving his opinion.
mtsww..face front joor angry Cultural and Religion my foot
Re: Lagos State To Legalize Voluntary Cremation Of Corpses by mkmyers45(m): 5:10pm On Apr 11, 2012
D sage: Cremation is alien to our culture and religions belief,i dnt think its a right tin for any govt to make it legal since its against our traditions.

Cremation to those that started it,was not as a result of lack/inadequate land to buried their dead but culture/tradition.
WTF? what is alien in cremating a body? It is cheaper and very safe for the enviroment.
Re: Lagos State To Legalize Voluntary Cremation Of Corpses by mkmyers45(m): 5:10pm On Apr 11, 2012
afam4eva: Lagos state is still reaching out to different bodies concerning this cremation issue and most religious groups are against it. Bishop osu for one, says it's unafrocan to cremate the dead. I really don't see why lagos should be looking at cremation for now, as there's no shortage of land in the state.
There will be shortage in future...the land can be put to better use.
Re: Lagos State To Legalize Voluntary Cremation Of Corpses by Nobody: 6:38pm On Apr 11, 2012
D sage: Cremation is alien to our culture and religions belief,i dnt think its a right tin for any govt to make it legal since its against our traditions.

_
Which culture? That of killing twins or forcing widows to drink their late husbands bath water? Which religion? The one the white man forced upon you to ensure subserviance? Pray, tell me.

1 Like

Re: Lagos State To Legalize Voluntary Cremation Of Corpses by ektbear: 7:08pm On Apr 11, 2012
Nothing wrong with cremation...

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Police Recruits Lament Inhuman Condition At Enugu Police College / Insurgency: Southeast Officers To Plan Self-Defense -Attorney Patryk Utulu (USA) / Pix Of Kaduna Refinery Just Started Working.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.