Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,881 members, 7,802,847 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:11 PM

Nigeria’s Economy Is The Third Fastest Growing In The World - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria’s Economy Is The Third Fastest Growing In The World (10786 Views)

Ben Bruce Blast Lai Mohammed:Lai Denies Saying Economy Is Out Of PMB Control(pix / Cnnmoney: Nigeria The Third Fastest-growing Economy In 2015 / Nigeria: Third Fastest Growing Economy In The World - Imf (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria’s Economy Is The Third Fastest Growing In The World by Nobody: 1:36am On Apr 12, 2012
Nigeria’s economy third fastest growing in the world
BY BEN AGANDE

ABUJA - Despite security challenge posed by the Boko Haram sect and other issues, Nigeria’s economy recorded an unprecedented growth as it is said to be the third fastest growing economy in the world.

Briefing State House correspondents after yesterday’s Federal Executive Council Meeting, Minister of Information, Mr Labaran Maku, who was joined by the Minister of State for Finance, Dr. Yerima Ngama, said the growth in the economy was a clear indication that “there is a lot of confidence in the Nigerian economy.”

Ngama, who presented a report on the country’s presentation during the recently concluded Islamic Development Bank Congress in Khartoum, Sudan noted that the growth noticed in the non-oil sector was particularly impressive, adding that government would continue to work on improving the economy.

He stated: “Today in council, I presented a report on the presentation made at the 37th Annual General Meeting of the Islamic Development Bank, IDB. The bank has 56 member countries and at annual general meeting, each country is expected to present a report on the economic development in the country. The aim is to educate ourselves about what is happening in our countries.

In the case of Nigeria, our report was actually the best. For the year, for the quarter which ended on 31st December, 2011, only about 46 countries have actually submitted their data and Nigeria was third in terms of GDP growth. We recorded a GDP growth of 7.68 per cent in real terms and this is largely due to growth in the non-oil sector.

“The previous year, 2010, the GDP growth was 8.4 per cent but last year, it dropped to 7.68 per cent because we had a negative growth in the oil sector. So, it means that the non-oil sector is actually resilient and strong enough to carry the economy forward with or without the oil sector.

“This actually placed us as the third fastest growing economy in the world, the first being Mongolia with 14. 9 per cent real growth rate, then China with 8.4 per cent real GDP growth rate followed by Nigeria with 7.68 per cent.

“But the more important story out of it is that as a nation, we have our Vision 202020, we have the objective of having one of the world strongest economies by year 2020.

All the other countries, apart from China, that are ahead of Nigeria are growing at a slower rate than Nigeria. When those ahead of you are growing slower, it means that in the next eight years, we will achieve our objective of being one of the strongest economies in the world. As at last December, our total GDP was more that N10 trillion and that is a growth that is unprecedented despite our challenges.”

Explaining how this growth has impacted on the lives of the ordinary Nigerian people, the minister said the “standard of living has improved in Nigeria as a result of this growth. As at December, 2011, our income per capita grew from $1200 to $1400 and this actually moved us from low income countries to middle lower income countries per World Bank classification.”

Decisions taken

Other decisions taken by the council at its meeting, according to the Minister of Information, were the directive by President Goodluck Jonathan to all Ministries, Agencies and Departments to list items that they would be procuring this year and sort out those that should be sourced locally. Council also requested the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, to begin the process of producing new voters’ cards.

Maku said the “the President directed that all procurements must first focus on made in Nigeria goods, that all items that are produced locally must first be considered in the public procurement exercise at least at the federal level. This is to encourage local producers and to also encourage the creation of jobs within the economy for the unemployed and school leavers.

“The President noted in council today (yesterday) that in spite of this directive, MDAs were yet to fully implement it. So he asked all MDAs as we prepare for the 2012 budget year, to list in our procurement plans those things that should be procured locally. This is to ensure that we encourage local producers and also encourage domestic economic growth.

“He also directed the Minister of Trade and Investment to prepare a plan for those items, good and services, which we have the local capacity to produce but which we are lagging behind. This will enable the government, through the economic management team, to sort out those items that we must deliberately set out to encourage local producers to produce within the country.”

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/04/nigerias-economy-third-fastest-growing-in-the-world/
Re: Nigeria’s Economy Is The Third Fastest Growing In The World by ektbear: 2:13am On Apr 12, 2012
Eh...questionable at best to conclude from this that nigeria was the 3rd fastest in the world
Re: Nigeria’s Economy Is The Third Fastest Growing In The World by aljharem(m): 2:21am On Apr 12, 2012
I think that is a lie. We have seen how the poor get poorer and the rich get richer, how can such an economy like that be a growing ?
Re: Nigeria’s Economy Is The Third Fastest Growing In The World by Onlytruth(m): 4:19am On Apr 12, 2012
I would be lying if I say that Nigeria's economy is not growing, I don't believe it is the third fastest growing in the world though.
Erm, did the minister count the number of Nigerians who fell into poverty in the same period under review? National GDP/economic growth without commensurate growth in personal income IN REAL TERMS (not in theory) is tantamount to running while standing on the same spot.
Re: Nigeria’s Economy Is The Third Fastest Growing In The World by Almaiga: 4:40am On Apr 12, 2012
This government dont want to work. They always frame things up to make it look like they are working. The 3rd fastest growing economy in the world? If its true, even a blind man would feel the impact.
Re: Nigeria’s Economy Is The Third Fastest Growing In The World by Nobody: 6:12am On Apr 12, 2012
ekt_bear: Eh...questionable at best to conclude from this that nigeria was the 3rd fastest in the world
instead of saying what you have said from your deluded position, why dont you look for facts to back up your claim. The person who presented the report is an expert he couldnt have been sayin what he doesnt know. But you, you want us to believe you even though you are not expert and do not have facts.
Re: Nigeria’s Economy Is The Third Fastest Growing In The World by ektbear: 6:40am On Apr 12, 2012
Well, his own facts don't back up this claim.

For the year, for the quarter which ended on 31st December, 2011, only about 46 countries have actually submitted their data and Nigeria was third in terms of GDP growth. We recorded a GDP growth of 7.68 per cent in real terms and this is largely due to growth in the non-oil sector.

There are more than 46 countries in the world...

7.68% is good, but not the 3rd best on the planet, I can assure you. Google around if you like and you can find many higher..

With that said, this is very positive. No need to blow it up out of proportion though

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Economy Is The Third Fastest Growing In The World by Boyoorisha: 9:54am On Apr 12, 2012
Joke!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Economy Is The Third Fastest Growing In The World by AjanleKoko: 10:00am On Apr 12, 2012
Anybody who says Nigeria's economy isn't growing is maybe living in a hole.
Of course Nigeria's economy is growing. Possibly a lot of Nigerians don't understand what growth means.
Re: Nigeria’s Economy Is The Third Fastest Growing In The World by Jcob(m): 10:02am On Apr 12, 2012
TRUE!

Nigeria is a consuming economy

Why won't you be the fastest growing when our doors are open to foreign investors to come scoop our money away

A poverty ridden person in Nigeria might not afford a 3 square meal, but can afford a small nokia phone or chinko. . .and regularly buys N100 airtime.

Nigeria has a potential to be the first if only we will embrace locally made products by using them and also exporting. Over reliance on oil is over.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Economy Is The Third Fastest Growing In The World by egift(m): 10:04am On Apr 12, 2012
[size=16pt]Only On Paper![/size]

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Economy Is The Third Fastest Growing In The World by Baawaa(m): 10:04am On Apr 12, 2012
Who is fooling who

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Economy Is The Third Fastest Growing In The World by Toluth(m): 10:06am On Apr 12, 2012
This growth is driven by which sector of the economy? If its the real sector, this growth will surely have a positive relative effect on the living standard, but how can I be convinced that its not oil driven?
thatz why the Asian tigers like Taiwan that depends majorly on exporting finished(value added) goods would feel the effect of a 5% growth rate cos the manufacturing sector employs abt 70% of her labour force than an oil driven economy that does not even employ upto 0.1% of the labour force even with a 20% growth rate
Re: Nigeria’s Economy Is The Third Fastest Growing In The World by sharpman1(m): 10:07am On Apr 12, 2012
Joke of the century!! This Ngama guy wants to take over Ali Baba's job.

I don't care about the figures being brandished. The reality is that the economic situation of Nigerians is not getting better.

3rd fastest growing economy my foot. Go and tell that to the hungry Nigerians roaming the streets and looking for how to make a living.
Re: Nigeria’s Economy Is The Third Fastest Growing In The World by abubaka101: 10:09am On Apr 12, 2012
Our economy is growing, but the fact this news was said by Nigerian ministers, you won't want to believe it. Because they hav'nt done anything positive to enhance our country's growth.
Re: Nigeria’s Economy Is The Third Fastest Growing In The World by gulfer: 10:11am On Apr 12, 2012
I read it too and was seriously wracking my brains where they got this (facts ); like @Jcob said we spend a lot importing. We can truly be 1st -3rd if only we have exportable basics even to just the sub-Sahara Africa alone. Who is even keeping records of trade, how are we able to quantify all the slips through our porous borders in and out of the country and those unrecorded by unscrupulous security agents saddled with same.
Re: Nigeria’s Economy Is The Third Fastest Growing In The World by chucky234(m): 10:11am On Apr 12, 2012
GDP grow for where,the only thing growing in this country are POVERTY and CORRUPTION.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Economy Is The Third Fastest Growing In The World by OYINBOGOJU(m): 10:13am On Apr 12, 2012
Another news to brainwash poor Nigerians

Why these people dey do like this self?

The economy is growing but its people are losing job everyday.

Just few months ago Oceanic shed most of their staff
Next is NLNG

Who knows where and when next another catastrophe will happen?

WHEN WILL THIS SHAMELESS GOVERNMENT STOP THIS LIES
Re: Nigeria’s Economy Is The Third Fastest Growing In The World by KINGwax(m): 10:14am On Apr 12, 2012
Onlytruth: I would be lying if I say that Nigeria's economy is not growing, I don't believe it is the third fastest growing in the world though.
Erm, did the minister count the number of Nigerians who fell into poverty in the same period under review? National GDP/economic growth without commensurate growth in personal income IN REAL TERMS (not in theory) is tantamount to running while standing on the same spot.
my friend, people living in poverty didn't cancel a growing economy. India is a case study of that. And besides, the government is not supposed to be responsible for anybody, impoverished life. We all depend of the government too much that's why we blame them for everything. As muah as i biliv and agree that the government's attitude towards making life easier through necessary infrastructures is not commendable, it isn't it's fault that some are poor. Is it the government's fault that as an okada rider u married 3wives? Or as a low salary earner u have 6children? My friend, because okoro is growing faster doesn't mean he's taller than lateef, or he'll be taller than yinka.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Economy Is The Third Fastest Growing In The World by OYINBOGOJU(m): 10:17am On Apr 12, 2012
Imagine this cowards talking about GDP when they don"t even know the meaning of GDP

They were busy reading statement made by one half cooked graduate that already forgot his course and mission dey carry dem bag to and fro.
Re: Nigeria’s Economy Is The Third Fastest Growing In The World by AZeD1(m): 10:18am On Apr 12, 2012
It depends on what the minister see as growth.
In my own local way, i'll judge growth by
1)Reduction in unemployment rate
2)Increase in the purchasing power of the citizens
Re: Nigeria’s Economy Is The Third Fastest Growing In The World by cap28: 10:20am On Apr 12, 2012
even if this is the case - has this growth impacted the lives of ordinary nigerians?

the govt has not solved some of the most pressing problems like - unemployment, poverty, poor housing, no security terrible roads etc so of what use is this economnic growth when it has no effect on the living standards of its citizens?
Re: Nigeria’s Economy Is The Third Fastest Growing In The World by OYINBOGOJU(m): 10:23am On Apr 12, 2012
This Government will make a better cartoon than Scoopy dOO AND BEN 10

I JUST CAN"T STOP LAUGHING AT EVERY SINGLE STEP THEY TAKE TO DECEIVE PEOPLE

THE SAME GOVERNMENT THAT DOESN"T EVEN KNOW WHERE THEY ARE GOING.
Re: Nigeria’s Economy Is The Third Fastest Growing In The World by olawalebabs(m): 10:24am On Apr 12, 2012
Economy where thousands lose job daily
Economy that is run on generator
Economy where security of live and Property is not gurantee
Economy where millions of children are at home instead of school
Economy where workers are paid living wage
Welcome to Nigeria Economy (The third fastest economy in the world)

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Economy Is The Third Fastest Growing In The World by ITbomb(m): 10:25am On Apr 12, 2012
Ask urself where they got the data from to come to that conclusion. From Nigeria not even an independent verification.
Imagine Nigeria with real statistics.
Who is fooling who
In the case of Nigeria, our report was actually
the best. For the year, for the quarter which
ended on 31st December, 2011, only about
46 countries have actually submitted[b] their
data and[/b] Nigeria was third in terms of GDP
growth. We recorded a GDP growth of 7.68 per cent in real terms and this is largely due to
growth in the non-oil sector
Re: Nigeria’s Economy Is The Third Fastest Growing In The World by stillme(m): 10:26am On Apr 12, 2012
Hmmmmm... Nigeria is just like a baby suffering from malnutrition. Third fastest growing economy without constant power supply. It is unbelievable!!!
Re: Nigeria’s Economy Is The Third Fastest Growing In The World by buzor(m): 10:31am On Apr 12, 2012
alj harem: I think that is a lie. We have seen how the poor get poorer and the rich get richer, how can such an economy like that be a growing ?
why re u so negative u mean d figures were manipulatd or what.
i bet u dat poverty n disease is WORSE only in core north...
Re: Nigeria’s Economy Is The Third Fastest Growing In The World by Baawaa(m): 10:33am On Apr 12, 2012
AjanleKoko: Anybody who says Nigeria's economy isn't growing is maybe living in a hole.
Of course Nigeria's economy is growing. Possibly a lot of Nigerians don't understand what growth means.

Sir,we shall be very glad,if you can explain to us what growth means.So we can now relate it to Nigeria's Economy Is The Third Fastest Growing In The World.
Re: Nigeria’s Economy Is The Third Fastest Growing In The World by AjanleKoko: 10:35am On Apr 12, 2012
Everybody is just raking here, cos they feel the growth never touch them.
Growth doesn't stop you guys from being poor, guys. It does present an opportunity for you all to make it out of poverty.
Re: Nigeria’s Economy Is The Third Fastest Growing In The World by OYINBOGOJU(m): 10:36am On Apr 12, 2012
The only things i see in this government is that.............

All the rulers involved have brave heart,they know how to lie and backup their lies and yet defend their lies in the international media.

The only government that said her people are indiscipline when they themselves don"t even know the meaning of discipline.
Re: Nigeria’s Economy Is The Third Fastest Growing In The World by KoladeArow(m): 10:38am On Apr 12, 2012
Nigeria's economy has improved over years thanks to the oil sector, but this same sector is described insolvent, then what are we saying?
Re: Nigeria’s Economy Is The Third Fastest Growing In The World by buJu234: 10:41am On Apr 12, 2012
O God dont allow me to b on the wrong side of the equation;

if Nigeria is seen as the 3rd fastest growing economy by outsiders; how come that i am not seeing & experiencing it...

i want to see and also experience it ooo In Jesus name amen...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Presidency To Spend N654.02m On Generators / Total Number Of Eligible Voters In Each State / God Is Punishing PDP For It Sins - Attahiru Bafarawa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.