Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,412 members, 7,808,465 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:21 PM

The Attitudes Of Africans Towards Native Art - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Attitudes Of Africans Towards Native Art (1316 Views)

Beware The Children Of Slave Owners!horn Of Africans (ethios,somalis,eris, Djis) / How Horn Of Africans Are Trying To Steal African Culture / Why Do Alot Of Africans, Nigerians Included, Look Down On Black Americans? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Attitudes Of Africans Towards Native Art by emofine2(f): 1:18pm On Apr 13, 2012
I have no doubt in my mind that everyone appreciates art in one form or another.

Art is stimulating and omnipresent and plays a significant role in society in extension civilization.

However art in relation to African heritage is often stigmatized by those who would have otherwise inherited these arts or would have been best placed to appreciate them.

The condemnation of continental art by suspicious natives is quite alarming especially when such sentiment contrasts with non-Africans who highly regard these pieces. Condemned works that posed as a testament to the sophistication of African civilization and partly redeemed the continents reputation and esteem.

Granted, some of the arts have links to spirituality and some of the art have unique functions.

But is that a legitimate reason not to appreciate or condemn African art?
Can African art with spiritual themes be separated from “witchcraft”?

What some Africans despise in some of these representations is what actually makes those works unique. Art imbued with spiritual undertones is rather sublime as it has a soul.

But what is even more damaging than showing contempt for some of our art is when one who clearly has a low disregard for their background and motivated by outside approval or gain will illegally sell or donate national treasures as a gift thereby selling their culture low in the process.
When a high personality such as General Yakubu Gowon supplies a national treasure as a gift to the Queen adding to the already hefty loot of her country and undermining his compatriots campaign in reacquiring their stolen works I honestly wonder where is the pride and respect.

Where does such attitude come from? undecided
Re: The Attitudes Of Africans Towards Native Art by Ptolomeus(m): 5:57pm On Apr 13, 2012
emöfine2: I have no doubt in my mind that everyone appreciates art in one form or another.

Art is stimulating and omnipresent and plays a significant role in society in extension civilization.

However art in relation to African heritage is often stigmatized by those who would have otherwise inherited these arts or would have been best placed to appreciate them.

The condemnation of continental art by suspicious natives is quite alarming especially when such sentiment contrasts with non-Africans who highly regard these pieces. Condemned works that posed as a testament to the sophistication of African civilization and partly redeemed the continents reputation and esteem.

Granted, some of the arts have links to spirituality and some of the art have unique functions.

What some Africans despise in some of these representations is what actually makes those works unique. Art imbued with spiritual undertones is rather sublime as it has a soul.

But what is even more damaging than showing contempt for some of our art is when one who clearly has a low disregard for their background and motivated by outside approval or gain will illegally sell or donate national treasures as a gift thereby selling their culture low in the process.
When a high personality such as General Yakubu Gowon supplies a national treasure as a gift to the Queen adding to the already hefty loot of her country and undermining his compatriots campaign in reacquiring their stolen works I honestly wonder where is the pride and respect.

Where does such attitude come from? undecided
My respects dear friend:
First, I insist (and not get tired of it) that witchcraft has its origins in Europe, not Africa. Linking African religions or traditions of witchcraft is a serious error (not yours, of course, but people in general)
I understand that is a serious mistake to undervalue a work of art in its religious connotation. Do not be Catholic to appreciate certain works of Michelangelo, nor should it be Islamist to marvel at the architecture of some mosques. Very respectfully, I believe that Africa has much religiously polarized, and link art with witchcraft may be the result of European interest in the acculturation of Africans. Any nation would preserve those pieces as a historical treasure, for a foreigner like me that are difficult to understand given away, (worst of all is that I doubt very much that the Queen of England just understand the true value of these pieces).
Possibly the greatest wealth that Africa has its culture, its traditions, which are valued around the world ... (paradoxically, everyone except in Africa).
A warm greeting!

tpia@:
Excellent contribution!.
Apparently you are a very instructed in the arts and history of your people, besides being very polite.
My respects.
Re: The Attitudes Of Africans Towards Native Art by LongOne1(m): 9:29pm On Apr 13, 2012
tpia@:
find something else to do with your time, sweetie.

What you see here is an inquisitive mind that constantly needs filling. When filled with the right type of information, it could spawn innovation – a reason the west is far ahead, but when filled with the wrong type, you get the case of Ted Kaczynski, the Unabomber.

Bottom-line, you need to appreciate this mind’s uniqueness, and to help it as much as you can.
Re: The Attitudes Of Africans Towards Native Art by LongOne1(m): 9:34pm On Apr 13, 2012
emöfine2: I have no doubt in my mind that everyone appreciates art in one form or another.

No problem so far, omnipresent is a strong word to use, but I will let it slide.

emöfine2: However art in relation to African heritage is often stigmatized by those who would have otherwise inherited these arts or would have been best placed to appreciate them.

Erm, don’t agree with your assumption, and then again, I might be ignorant. tongue
I come from an ethnic group called Tiv, its language classified within the Tiv-Batu subgroup of the Bantoid branch of the Benue-Congo subdivision of Niger-Congo.

Our religious beliefs centre on using the power of Tsav, to control spiritual forces represented by sculptured emblems such as this:

Picture Reference: http://www.britishmuseum.org/research/search_the_collection_database/search_object_details.aspx?objectid=619530&partid=1&output=Terms%2f!!%2fOR%2f!!%2f5980%2f!%2f%2f!%2fRepresentation+of+Tiv%2f!%2f%2f!!%2f%2f!!!%2f&orig=%2fresearch%2fsearch_the_collection_database%2fadvanced_search.aspx&currentPage=6&numpages=10

The people who use this are called the Mba Tsav, they are feared, as these forces can be used for good or evil. We also have the Kwagh Hir theatre, where different clans come together to compete through masquerade/dance/storytelling, as it is based on many superstitious and cultural beliefs. To cut the long story short, contrary to what you said, this African ‘art’ is not condemned but celebrated where 50% of ‘one’ comes from.

However, if what you said is true, then I would understand your concerns and blame it on Damnant quod non intellegunt, translated as ‘people fear what they do not understand’ or ‘they condemn what they do not understand’. Then again, there are many things that happen in the Dark Continent you can’t explain, so you can’t blame them.

emöfine2: What some Africans despise in some of these representations is what actually makes those works unique. Art imbued with spiritual undertones is rather sublime as it has a soul.

Now, that’s some deep stuff right there. Never looked at it that way, I’m quivering, lol.

emöfine2: But what is even more damaging than showing contempt for some of our art is when one who clearly has a low disregard for their background and motivated by outside approval or gain will illegally sell or donate national treasures as a gift thereby selling their culture low in the process.

Where does such attitude come from?

Me thinks someone’s visited Windsor Castle lately, I don’t see why this should bother you though. Empires were known to get spoils after victories, Lords were known to receive homage from vassals, and Music composers still receive royalties from artists. Basically it involves a superior person and a subject; he was obviously the subject, bending to his master's every whim, else he be replaced by a more subservient one.

I mean, if I conquer your heart, you will give me your best, no? tongue
Re: The Attitudes Of Africans Towards Native Art by emofine2(f): 11:51pm On Apr 13, 2012
Ptolomeus:
My respects dear friend:
First, I insist (and not get tired of it) that witchcraft has its origins in Europe, not Africa. Linking African religions or traditions of witchcraft is a serious error (not yours, of course, but people in general)
I understand that is a serious mistake to undervalue a work of art in its religious connotation. Do not be Catholic to appreciate certain works of Michelangelo, nor should it be Islamist to marvel at the architecture of some mosques. Very respectfully, I believe that Africa has much religiously polarized, and link art with witchcraft may be the result of European interest in the acculturation of Africans. Any nation would preserve those pieces as a historical treasure, for a foreigner like me that are difficult to understand given away, (worst of all is that I doubt very much that the Queen of England just understand the true value of these pieces).
Possibly the greatest wealth that Africa has its culture, its traditions, which are valued around the world ... (paradoxically, everyone except in Africa).
A warm greeting!

Excellent contribution!.
Apparently you are a very instructed in the arts and history of your people, besides being very polite.
My respects.

Hi Ptolomeus cheesy

Some works are stigmatized especially those that pose as mediums or spiritual instruments. Regarding those works with a certain caution is then understood but some are just way over the top and round up all work as "witchcraft". I know some people who consider the Benin bronzes as "witchcraft" (maybe because of the animism and motifs depicted) but they didn't even behold the works before summarizing so it just seemed like trained behavior to me.

That's why I asked if work depicting spiritual themes could be detached from witchcraft but I suppose first of all African spirituality has to be detached from negative stereotypes.

One of my colleagues was narrating an encounter she had with her Ugandan friend and when she was witnessing some of the art in London she claimed that some could qualify as "witchcraft". Sometimes are we not just imagining things? undecided
Re: The Attitudes Of Africans Towards Native Art by emofine2(f): 12:49am On Apr 14, 2012
Long One:

Bottom-line, you need to appreciate this mind’s uniqueness, and to help it as much as you can.

Sounds like one of those sponsor a child ads embarassed lol.

But thanks for understanding Long One.

Long One:

No problem so far, omnipresent is a strong word to use, but I will let it slide.

Lol well I think you're reflecting solely on concrete art and that may largely be my fault because I am discussing raw art but in reality art is everywhere....I guess one may only appreciate that fact depending on their understanding of art.

Erm, don’t agree with your assumption, and then again, I might be ignorant. tongue

Hehe it's more of a generalization than an assumption but in my defence I did preface my account with "some Africans"....well somewhere in my write up tongue

The people who use this are called the Mba Tsav, they are feared, as these forces can be used for good or evil. We also have the Kwagh Hir theatre, where different clans come together to compete through masquerade/dance/storytelling, as it is based on many superstitious and cultural beliefs. To cut the long story short, contrary to what you said, this African ‘art’ is not condemned but celebrated where 50% of ‘one’ comes from.

Of course some works especially those which are considered clean may very well be appreciated but nonetheless that's great smiley

Then again, there are many things that happen in the Dark Continent you can’t explain, so you can’t blame them.

Fair enough.

Me thinks someone’s visited Windsor Castle lately, I don’t see why this should bother you though. Empires were known to get spoils after victories, Lords were known to receive homage from vassals, and Music composers still receive royalties from artists. Basically it involves a superior person and a subject; he was obviously the subject, bending to his master's every whim, else he be replaced by a more subservient one.

Lol I have no desire to visit that castle. Too common for my taste tongue Yeah I know but what Gowon did betrays a lack of respect and reverence. He was under no obligation to donate such gift but he clearly wanted to show off, in the process frustrating the efforts of his compatriots that were/are fighting to have those bronzes returned. Some art is priceless.

I mean, if I conquer your heart, you will give me your best, no? tongue

I will give you the best of what I can offer tongue
Re: The Attitudes Of Africans Towards Native Art by emofine2(f): 12:53am On Apr 14, 2012
tpia@:
find something else to do with your time, sweetie.

Forgive me for caring about my continent's heritage but please don't call me "sweetie", you don't know me.
Re: The Attitudes Of Africans Towards Native Art by ifyalways(f): 8:28am On Apr 15, 2012
Let's pretend that the white/ Arab man didn't come with their religions, were there really a point in history when we did appreciate our articrafts? Has it not always been linked with one god or the other, something to be revrenced?

My few visits to Nike art center and terra culture lagos have made me to sort of believe that our arts, heritage would continue to find its way to the western world where its appreciated cos our people, you and I don't give a damn. Black US evil. . . Self hate. Much.
Re: The Attitudes Of Africans Towards Native Art by igbo2011(m): 11:52pm On Apr 15, 2012
ifyalways: Let's pretend that the white/ Arab man didn't come with their religions, were there really a point in history when we did appreciate our articrafts? Has it not always been linked with one god or the other, something to be revrenced?

My few visits to Nike art center and terra culture lagos have made me to sort of believe that our arts, heritage would continue to find its way to the western world where its appreciated cos our people, you and I don't give a damn. Black US evil. . . Self hate. Much.
We have been mis-educated. But I am not so I LOVE African art. I buy it all the time. I have them in my room I also love the Benin art, iti s really amazing. I am trying to promote more African art. http://www.nigerianedp.com/art/
Re: The Attitudes Of Africans Towards Native Art by ifyalways(f): 11:30am On Apr 16, 2012
^Good to know.
I've got for me a few stuff but i think appreciating Arts goes beyond buying stuff.

I love the Yrouba talking drums.Would rather be found @ a talking drum festival than to go listen to 'em gangsta rap.
Re: The Attitudes Of Africans Towards Native Art by Ptolomeus(m): 4:54pm On Apr 16, 2012
emöfine2:

Hi Ptolomeus cheesy

Some works are stigmatized especially those that pose as mediums or spiritual instruments. Regarding those works with a certain caution is then understood but some are just way over the top and round up all work as "witchcraft". I know some people who consider the Benin bronzes as "witchcraft" (maybe because of the animism and motifs depicted) but they didn't even behold the works before summarizing so it just seemed like trained behavior to me.

That's why I asked if work depicting spiritual themes could be detached from witchcraft but I suppose first of all African spirituality has to be detached from negative stereotypes.

One of my colleagues was narrating an encounter she had with her Ugandan friend and when she was witnessing some of the art in London she claimed that some could qualify as "witchcraft". Sometimes are we not just imagining things? undecided
Hello dear friend:
Exactly.
I understand that not all religions are African animists. I do not ocncibo to Orisa as spirit, but as an emanation of the creator god.
So when I hear about generalizing African animism, I can not stop thinking that they are following the paths set by European settlers. It is contradictory that the Catholic religion, to worship the spirit of Jesus, and worship saints (who are the spirits of the dead), speak with such contempt of animism and spiritism, right?.
Let's see.
For the most part, religions, languages ​​and African traditions were studied by European missionaries, who made their interpretation according to their religious training. Based on that (big mistake) seen in some African deity symbolism of the devil and so considered ... also considered witchcraft (which is European) many of the ceremonies did not understand.
All this adds up, that the missionaries were very profitable cause fear by saying that he was worshiping the devil. That continues today, possibly because of naivete, or ignorance of their own traditions.
How not to transfer it to art?
Best wishes
Re: The Attitudes Of Africans Towards Native Art by emofine2(f): 8:31pm On Apr 17, 2012
ifyalways: Let's pretend that the white/ Arab man didn't come with their religions, were there really a point in history when we did appreciate our articrafts? Has it not always been linked with one god or the other, something to be revrenced?

There were societies that highly regarded their craft and art. Some of their art is what made them prestigious anyway and some of them guarded their craft jealously. The fact that many of these arts had been preserved for more than centuries suggests that some indeed valued these works although it may also serve to highlight that perhaps they had particular significant functions.
I do think generally Westerners appreciate art much more than Africans though because they regard art differently. Largely our art seems to always have a function, there is most likely a need for our art in relation to society but the West often behold art as an aesthetic (or investment) and can appreciate the art independent of function so you’re most likely right about some work possibly ending up in Western nations regardless. I think Africans not only perceive art as a means of communication and expression but of morality.

ifyalways: I love the Yrouba talking drums.Would rather be found @ a talking drum festival than to go listen to 'em gangsta rap.

Lol ditto.

(1) (Reply)

Itsekiri People / Disgusting Attributes Of A Typical Nigerian Man. You've Got To Read This! / Igue Festival Of Benin Empire.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.