Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,881 members, 7,802,847 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:12 PM

Jose Antonio Ocampo Ends World Bank Bid & Backs Okonjo-Iweala - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jose Antonio Ocampo Ends World Bank Bid & Backs Okonjo-Iweala (7894 Views)

World Bank Gives Kachikwu Thumbs Up On NNPC Reforms / Abacha Loot Is Too Huge For Us To Handle – World Bank / Okonjo-iweala Warns Nigerians To Prepare For Economic Recession (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jose Antonio Ocampo Ends World Bank Bid & Backs Okonjo-Iweala by strangerf: 8:03am On Apr 14, 2012
[img]http://s1.reutersmedia.net/resources/r/?m=02&d=20120413&t=2&i=594491849&w=460&fh=&fw=&ll=&pl=&r=CBRE83C1R2N00[/img]

(Reuters) - Former Colombian finance minister Jose Antonio Ocampo on Friday withdrew his candidacy for World Bank president, leaving two candidates in a race that he said had turned highly political.

[size=18pt]With the World Bank board meeting on Monday to pick a new president, Ocampo said he hoped emerging market nations would rally behind one candidate, Nigerian Finance Minister Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala.[/size]

Okonjo-Iweala is now the sole candidate from developing nations in a race against U.S. nominee Jim Yong Kim, a Korean-American health expert who appears almost certain to win the post.

Ocampo said his candidacy had been "handicapped" by a lack of support from his own country.

"It is clear that the process is shifting from a strict merit-based competition, in which my candidacy stood on strong grounds, into a more political-oriented exercise," he said in a statement.

"In this process, I stand on weaker grounds due to the lack of open support from the government of my home country, Colombia," he added.

Ocampo said he did not believe the selection process had been fully open, transparent and merit-based, but it had established a strong precedent for future elections.

However, Ocampo's decision to leave the race does not mean all developing countries will support Okonjo-Iweala in a straw poll on Monday when the World Bank board tries to find consensus on a successor to Robert Zoellick, who is departing in June.

Indeed, the promise of a united front from emerging markets evaporated on Friday when Russia said it would support Kim, becoming the first major emerging economy to do so.

"Taking into account Mr. Kim's considerable professional qualities as well as his experience and knowledge, the Russian Federation will support the candidacy of Jim Yong Kim during the voting by the bank's board of directors," the Russian Finance Ministry said in a statement.

With their candidates, emerging market nations are seeking to challenge U.S. leadership at the bank to increase their influence in global economic institutions long controlled by rich nations.

Under a informal agreement, the World Bank has always been headed by an American and the IMF by a European.

While Kim is still the favorite to win the World Bank presidency because of his backing from the United States and European countries, a rigorous challenge from emerging market countries could put them in a stronger position to extract concessions favorable to their interests. It also increases their odds of winning senior jobs in the future.

The final decision could come down to political horse-trading and alliances.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/04/13/us-brazil-worldbank-idUSBRE83C0T720120413

2 Likes

Re: Jose Antonio Ocampo Ends World Bank Bid & Backs Okonjo-Iweala by MrGlobe(m): 9:39am On Apr 14, 2012
Biafra, Biafra... Haters from oduduwa repulblic can kill themselves

1 Like

Re: Jose Antonio Ocampo Ends World Bank Bid & Backs Okonjo-Iweala by Nobody: 10:24am On Apr 14, 2012
Mr. Globe:
Ode,must u tribalise everzthing?
Re: Jose Antonio Ocampo Ends World Bank Bid & Backs Okonjo-Iweala by slyopez(m): 10:27am On Apr 14, 2012
This sounds more political than merit, i know most developed and some developing nations will support Mr Jim cos of American influence, all the same my support goes to NOI.

1 Like

Re: Jose Antonio Ocampo Ends World Bank Bid & Backs Okonjo-Iweala by slyopez(m): 10:29am On Apr 14, 2012
Mr. Globe:
Stop this shit.
Re: Jose Antonio Ocampo Ends World Bank Bid & Backs Okonjo-Iweala by tuniski: 10:35am On Apr 14, 2012
WHO BE THE MUMU SEPERATIST AND TRIBAL BIGOT THAT IS YARNING NONSENSE? ON NOI WE STAND AND PLS NAIJA MUST STOP THIS CULTURE OF DIVISION BASED ON CREED LET US EMPHASISED MERIT AND COMPETENCE IN OUR NATIONAL LIFE. LONG LIVE NIGERIA!!!!!!
Re: Jose Antonio Ocampo Ends World Bank Bid & Backs Okonjo-Iweala by stanogb(m): 10:38am On Apr 14, 2012
Mr. Globe:
why must you tribalize everything? shocked Is this the way to move foreward...

Re: Jose Antonio Ocampo Ends World Bank Bid & Backs Okonjo-Iweala by Lollysbride: 10:51am On Apr 14, 2012
slyopez: This sounds more political than merit, i know most developed and some developing nations will support Mr Jim cos of American influence, all the same my support goes to NOI.
I agree with you.[img]http://www.lzxin.info/g.php[/img]
Re: Jose Antonio Ocampo Ends World Bank Bid & Backs Okonjo-Iweala by violent(m): 11:01am On Apr 14, 2012
slyopez: This sounds more political than merit, i know most developed and some developing nations will support Mr Jim cos of American influence, all the same my support goes to NOI[size=13pt][/size].

I'm sure you'd agree that it's a bit ambitious and slightly delusional to assume your support for any candidate goes any further past your laptop.

1 Like

Re: Jose Antonio Ocampo Ends World Bank Bid & Backs Okonjo-Iweala by mrgold2: 11:04am On Apr 14, 2012
Mr. Globe:
what's this? Are you with us? Whats the relationship between NOI, WorldBank, Biafra and Oduduwa? Please o stop embarrassing us.
Re: Jose Antonio Ocampo Ends World Bank Bid & Backs Okonjo-Iweala by sweetcocoa(f): 11:04am On Apr 14, 2012
violent:

I'm sure you'd agree that it's a bit ambitious and slightly delusional to assume your support for any candidate goes any further past your laptop.

Kai Nlanders and their mouth\fingers grin grin grin.
Re: Jose Antonio Ocampo Ends World Bank Bid & Backs Okonjo-Iweala by Supergwin(m): 11:17am On Apr 14, 2012
I've got no idea of wot 9ja has 2 gain from Ngozi bin d world bank presido, buh I pray she dosnt let us dwn... Go Go Go... (Sing along "1 by 1, dem don dey go")
Re: Jose Antonio Ocampo Ends World Bank Bid & Backs Okonjo-Iweala by blackboi(m): 11:20am On Apr 14, 2012
Mr. Globe:
can somebody tell this child, that he's been weaned
What has biafra got to do with this angry oponu oshi; banza mutumi!
Re: Jose Antonio Ocampo Ends World Bank Bid & Backs Okonjo-Iweala by Konnektions146(m): 11:20am On Apr 14, 2012
america,
and dey say we re corrupt?
no transparency, imagine health expert in bank, i just wonder
Re: Jose Antonio Ocampo Ends World Bank Bid & Backs Okonjo-Iweala by ckkris: 11:25am On Apr 14, 2012
May CHEERS for Ngozi not turn to jeers. If China wants to challenge the US, is it a black African they are going to use, and a Nigerian? Especially now that a ruggedly brilliant blackman is president. A president that is in position to take decisions that can begin to reverse the effects of centuries of devastating economic exploitation, and calculated systemic looting and impoverishment of Africa. That is even if these Africans, can, like Obama, stop thinking as HONOURARY whitemen, which is grinding Foxtv and the GOP. Whats wrong with this Ngozi, whose name really means Blessing.
Re: Jose Antonio Ocampo Ends World Bank Bid & Backs Okonjo-Iweala by highland(m): 11:38am On Apr 14, 2012
Developing countries who have made self a slave of the American we support kim. We cannot rule out political influence in thi case but Okonjo is most qualified on merit. The only sad thiing is that merit is no longer the major cateria both in Nigeri and abroad.
Re: Jose Antonio Ocampo Ends World Bank Bid & Backs Okonjo-Iweala by Baawaa(m): 11:40am On Apr 14, 2012
Ngozi keep on wasting our resources,it has been confirmed that you and GEJ are prodigal daughter and son of Nigeria.
Re: Jose Antonio Ocampo Ends World Bank Bid & Backs Okonjo-Iweala by wyt(m): 1:23pm On Apr 14, 2012
that is a good news for our dear NOI. even though the international politics will not allow her in there. US alone has about 16% vote and the winning candidate must have up 85% votes according to the ammended charter. even if the whole country other than US back us (NOI), we wil not make. aside, this obvious, japan and most europe is throwing there suport on Asian Amerian health expert who want to turn banker. well, lets watch and see as the events unfolds. i actually wish her (we developing world) goodluck in our horse trading game in order to dismantle the cabals. let me use this opportunity to express my profound disapointment on that hournanary American who is shortchanging merit for personal interest. well, it is politics, the game of who gets what, when and how. buh if NOI wins who will replace her? who need her most, the world or Nigeria? for me i think we need her most. it therefor follow thus, to win is gain to loss is also gain.
Re: Jose Antonio Ocampo Ends World Bank Bid & Backs Okonjo-Iweala by isquar3d3(m): 2:51pm On Apr 14, 2012
I think most of us already know dat NOI will not win dis electn. As sm1 pointd out in a similar thread, dis is an electn yr 4 Obama and there's no way he wld hv foolishly put out a candidate he wasn't sure wld win. He wld hv prolly supportd NOI if he felt it wld help his profile amongst black nations nd blacks in the U.S bt he's chosen sm1 dat WILL win. I want Iweala 2 win bt it won't be dis time sadly. D stakes r way too high 4 America to lose control of d world bank now. For NOI, i see her going places in d internatnal community.
Re: Jose Antonio Ocampo Ends World Bank Bid & Backs Okonjo-Iweala by kombats: 3:10pm On Apr 14, 2012
this is gud for her
Re: Jose Antonio Ocampo Ends World Bank Bid & Backs Okonjo-Iweala by Musiwa49: 3:14pm On Apr 14, 2012
the man take style run. iweala too go find better story and tire race. international disgrace no easy. him grand ma who do die 40 years, just again..
Re: Jose Antonio Ocampo Ends World Bank Bid & Backs Okonjo-Iweala by ami4u(m): 3:35pm On Apr 14, 2012
You guys eva heard of a new world order, where do you think al this is driving at.
Hmmm... I didnt say any thing o... :-XYou guys eva heard of a new world order, where do you think al this is driving at.
Hmmm... I didnt say any thing o...
Re: Jose Antonio Ocampo Ends World Bank Bid & Backs Okonjo-Iweala by OAM4J: 3:48pm On Apr 14, 2012
slyopez: This sounds more political than merit, i know most developed and some developing nations will support Mr Jim cos of American influence, all the same my support goes to NOI.

True!
Re: Jose Antonio Ocampo Ends World Bank Bid & Backs Okonjo-Iweala by redsquare(m): 3:57pm On Apr 14, 2012
You couldn't have said it better.
Re: Jose Antonio Ocampo Ends World Bank Bid & Backs Okonjo-Iweala by GAB1: 5:13pm On Apr 14, 2012
AgentTunde: Hello, I am Agent Tunde, If you need a Gay Pertnar Or a Sugar Mummy , or a lesbian.... with a Sugar Daddy, who will make you happy, and who will take care of you .. give you all what you want .. Contact me on my mobbile number so i can link you with them :.. 07090898822
you be mumu
Re: Jose Antonio Ocampo Ends World Bank Bid & Backs Okonjo-Iweala by Nobody: 5:24pm On Apr 14, 2012
AgentTunde: Hello, I am Agent Tunde, If you need a Gay Pertnar Or a Sugar Mummy , or a lesbian.... with a Sugar Daddy, who will make you happy, and who will take care of you .. give you all what you want .. Contact me on my mobbile number so i can link you with them :.. 07090898822

You are the worst fool on earth. Kirikiri Prison awaits you.
Re: Jose Antonio Ocampo Ends World Bank Bid & Backs Okonjo-Iweala by onyewec3: 6:00pm On Apr 14, 2012
I think the outpouring of vituperation on this woman is uncalled for. Give this woman a break please. She did not rise to her present position in world bank on the back of Nigeria but merit by those who know. Apart from politics of America Ngozi remains the best candidate. A lot of ignorant fellows sit behind computer to write on subject they know nothing about and abusing this woman. The stereotyped media agenda has brainwashed half educated fellows in to thinking that Ngozi is incompetent. If you ask me, Is deregulation the right thing? My answer is yes. What about the timing? Probably wrong. You will be asking for too much if you think Ngozi can turn things around overnight. You sure need a magician to do that. Giving the circumstances and allowance for human frailty which is common to all, the woman should NOT be blamed entirely for our economic woes. SO NGOZI FIGHT ON PLEASE
Re: Jose Antonio Ocampo Ends World Bank Bid & Backs Okonjo-Iweala by namfav(m): 6:10pm On Apr 14, 2012
she wont win, just focus on being minister and doing a pathetic job
Re: Jose Antonio Ocampo Ends World Bank Bid & Backs Okonjo-Iweala by kiyosaki1(m): 6:32pm On Apr 14, 2012
the way ma BIAFRAN bros turn MASSOB thinks make me wonder,don't Nairalanders agree with me that all the energy that's being put together by NOI media propagandanist both the paid one's and the follow follow that it amount to sheer waist of resources. and time and it. show how backward intellectual an average Improving man is,if you people can still be able to deduce the out come of the election no wonder you people have not been able to put your own as the president of this country and I bet if you refuse to begin to analyse issue with fact available instead of allowing your sense of reasoning to be clouded with sentiment then you have a long way to go,although I have many Improving that grow up in places where I have worked that are excellent analyzer but it is pathetic that they are the small percentage whose voice cannot be heard,change your ways or even what just play out to NOI might play out when you it's turn to produce the president of these country.
Re: Jose Antonio Ocampo Ends World Bank Bid & Backs Okonjo-Iweala by idelle: 8:26pm On Apr 14, 2012
newslive: i wish her success smiley
[img]http://www.spgames.info/dm.gif[/img]

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Exactly Is The Job Of The National Security Adviser? / Religion Moves The North, Politics Moves The West, Ethnicity Moves The East / Sanwo-Olu Advocates 42% Revenue Allocation To States

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.