Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,486 members, 7,808,771 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:40 PM

I Abandoned Religion And God Today. I'm Free. - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / I Abandoned Religion And God Today. I'm Free. (43861 Views)

Where Will You Worship God Today? / One Big Reason You Must Praise God Today. Picture. / PHOTOS: I Abandoned My Five Children To Become A Lesbian (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (37) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Abandoned Religion And God Today. I'm Free. by PastorAIO: 6:00pm On Apr 14, 2012
Some religions have a God, others don't. For example buddhism. It is very easy to be religious without a belief in God.

But that point aside, I suspect that many atheists are people who have grappled with religious issues and that is how they have arrived at atheism. One only needs an interest in religion to discuss religion, not necessarily belief in God, or a God, in order to discuss religion.

In fact I reckon that most atheist are more engaged in religion, especially intellectually, than most religious people. Most religious people just go with the flow and follow the religion they were raised in without actually giving it the consideration it deserves. It is because of these people that I am delighted for the presence of atheists on this board. Atheists will force them to engage more with their beliefs than they are wont to do. I don't like lukewarm wishywashyness, especially when it comes to religion.

2 Likes

Re: I Abandoned Religion And God Today. I'm Free. by Nobody: 6:08pm On Apr 14, 2012
mykejones: If i tel u i dnt get scared or terrified about wat is posted in this religion thread,then am a joker. U all frighten me. Some arguements here have shaken,dwon 2 d roots,my not-so-strong faith. And it only get worse daily.
I'l neva open any thread wit a mark of 'religion' on it again,least i bcom sometin like some of u.
I believe in God,and i believe in the aftermath.

Try not being "frightened" for once. The only reason you're scared is because of indoctrination. Discard what mom,grandma and the pastors told you. Ditch the confirmation bias and just examine all so called gods, then compare them to yours. The difference between your god and Zeus is that you have faith in one. To those without faith, they are two sides of the same coin.
Re: I Abandoned Religion And God Today. I'm Free. by Avicenna: 6:12pm On Apr 14, 2012
greateros: posts like that of Image123, sweetnecta, ishilove and rastamouse are the exact reflection of what religion stood for - threat, counter threat, use of fear of the unknown, delusional quotes from books compiled by people suffering from chronic case of schizophrenia and what not!

Human nature has this inclination to freedom hence the silent struggle to breakaway from enslavement be it religious or otherwise especially when there is a positive pointer indicating to you that your chains are man made!

3000 years ago it was the roman and Greek gods and today, very few can still remember the names of those gods!

3000 years from now, men would av been totally liberated from the chains of religious enslavement and true enlightenment would av taken root that's when men would begin to put the remaining 80% of the unused brain to use - imagine how life would be then - a life without religious deception and religion-induced problems!

@poster. from your replies, i see your conviction is grounded in pure realization and awakening - its not going to be easy so brace yourself for the attacks and insults that will follow your decision especially from relations, friends and loved ones. If possible, i will advice you to keep your new conviction to yourself for now. undecided
I will do that.
Re: I Abandoned Religion And God Today. I'm Free. by Sweetlemon(f): 6:15pm On Apr 14, 2012
LMAO@logicboy and others who give that excuse of no section for atheists on nl to come to religious section and talk and talk and talk and talk and talk and talk about a God they are supposed to hate on EVERY SINGLE religious thread! Must it be on the religion section since atheism is NOT a religion?? In fact, laff-wan-increace-d-size-of-my-ass!

1 Like

Re: I Abandoned Religion And God Today. I'm Free. by Avicenna: 6:15pm On Apr 14, 2012
reloboy:
I don't believe you but if you do pray five times a day and you still fink there is no God then U must be under a spell or sumtin is wrong wif U. brother HELL IS REAL Think!!!
A food for thought
It doesn't matter. And nothing is wrong with me. The only reason I will remain secretive about me is cos of posts like these. You are exactly like my peeps. The disbelief and the shock may cause what I didn't intend.
Re: I Abandoned Religion And God Today. I'm Free. by Nobody: 6:18pm On Apr 14, 2012
Avicenna:
I will do that.

Actually, i think you should engage[b](if they bring it up or start with their magical thinking)[/b]them unless your livelihood is threatened. Engaging them actually helps develop your ideas and worldview while they keep coming with the same old threats. You also have to develop your ideas because while they can't answer anything, they will expect you to explain everything and in your quest for knowledge, you end up with more intellectual depth than people who cling to ancient mythology without asking "why"?
Re: I Abandoned Religion And God Today. I'm Free. by Avicenna: 6:23pm On Apr 14, 2012
Martian:

Actually, i think you should engage them unless your livelihood is threatened. Engaging them actually helps develop your ideas and worldview while they keep coming with the same old threats. You also have to develop your ideas because while they can't answer anything, they will expect you to explain everything and in your quest for knowledge, you end up with more intellectual depth than people who cling to ancient mythology without asking "why"?

This will be dangerous for now. I will graduate medical school very soon. Then,If the scenario comes up,I will let them know.
Re: I Abandoned Religion And God Today. I'm Free. by LogicMind: 6:25pm On Apr 14, 2012
good for you op.
was it a one time decision or did it gradually wear off?
Mine was very gradual. Took me more than twenty years.
Nairaland removed all doubts in january this year.
Praise da lawd!

1 Like

Re: I Abandoned Religion And God Today. I'm Free. by Avicenna: 6:43pm On Apr 14, 2012
Gradually but its today that I had to say it out,let someone know. And Yes,Nairaland played a big part in it.
Re: I Abandoned Religion And God Today. I'm Free. by PastorAIO: 6:46pm On Apr 14, 2012
like I suspected. Nairaland is doing a great deal to make people atheists and it is not the atheists that are causing it. It is the Inanity of the religious folks.

4 Likes

Re: I Abandoned Religion And God Today. I'm Free. by Image123(m): 6:50pm On Apr 14, 2012
logicboy:

You feel foolish, dont lie. You know that your scaremongering with the threat of hell doesnt work anymore on real adults
Suit yourself. Though it'ld be good if you quit living in denial, saying threats don't work on adults. Maybe its due to your lack of exposure sha, most of you think the world hangs on nl and the internet.
BTW, i'm not scaring anyone. Scaring is "you better repent or you go to hell". Those who know me on nl would know that i hardly employ that tactic. I'm simply stating facts, that anyone who says he/she does not need God anymore would regret it for all of eternity. It's part of your education.
Re: I Abandoned Religion And God Today. I'm Free. by mazaje(m): 6:58pm On Apr 14, 2012
Image123:
Suit yourself. Though it'ld be good if you quit living in denial, saying threats don't work on adults. Maybe its due to your lack of exposure sha, most of you think the world hangs on nl and the internet.
BTW, i'm not scaring anyone. Scaring is "you better repent or you go to hell". Those who know me on nl would know that i hardly employ that tactic. I'm simply stating facts, that anyone who says he/she does not need God anymore would regret it for all of eternity. It's part of your education.

Pls what are the "facts". . . .The sun exist is a statement of fact, you know that hell exist as a fact because?. . . . .

1 Like

Re: I Abandoned Religion And God Today. I'm Free. by Chrisbenogor(m): 7:01pm On Apr 14, 2012
logicboy:

You are threatening the OP with hell. Dont you feel foolish?
And just when we give up here some people still have the fire burning in them.
Re: I Abandoned Religion And God Today. I'm Free. by Chrisbenogor(m): 7:02pm On Apr 14, 2012
Pastor AIO: Some religions have a God, others don't. For example buddhism. It is very easy to be religious without a belief in God.

But that point aside, I suspect that many atheists are people who have grappled with religious issues and that is how they have arrived at atheism. One only needs an interest in religion to discuss religion, not necessarily belief in God, or a God, in order to discuss religion.

In fact I reckon that most atheist are more engaged in religion, especially intellectually, than most religious people. Most religious people just go with the flow and follow the religion they were raised in without actually giving it the consideration it deserves. It is because of these people that I am delighted for the presence of atheists on this board. Atheists will force them to engage more with their beliefs than they are wont to do. I don't like lukewarm wishywashyness, especially when it comes to religion.
Make I dey greet the veterans one by one, bros I hail oh!

1 Like

Re: I Abandoned Religion And God Today. I'm Free. by Chrisbenogor(m): 7:04pm On Apr 14, 2012
mazaje:

Pls what are the "facts". . . .The sun exist is a statement of fact, you know that hell exist as a fact because?. . . . .
As for you BABA I dogbale and SEMPE at the same time. Long time oh, una still get power for here.
Re: I Abandoned Religion And God Today. I'm Free. by PastorAIO: 7:06pm On Apr 14, 2012
Chrisbenogor:
Make I dey greet the veterans one by one, bros I hail oh!

A ahh!! Is this topic on the front page or What? Wetin bring you come here bros? I hail you o! 3 cheers for the sniper. Hip hip hip, hooray, hip hip hip hooray, hip hip hip HOORAY!

Even the small small sniper action of days of yore, you no dey do am again. I hope say body strong sha.

1 Like

Re: I Abandoned Religion And God Today. I'm Free. by mazaje(m): 7:08pm On Apr 14, 2012
Chrisbenogor:
As for you BABA I dogbale and SEMPE at the same time. Long time oh, una still get power for here.

BABAAAAAAAAAA. . . . .You just disappear commut, no be so ohh. . .How you dey brother?. . .Hope you are good? best wishes. . .
Re: I Abandoned Religion And God Today. I'm Free. by Chrisbenogor(m): 7:12pm On Apr 14, 2012
Pastor AIO:

A ahh!! Is this topic on the front page or What? Wetin bring you come here bros? I hail you o! 3 cheers for the sniper. Hip hip hip, hooray, hip hip hip hooray, hip hip hip HOORAY!

Even the small small sniper action of days of yore, you no dey do am again. I hope say body strong sha.

My bros nor be small thing, I just totally lost interest jare, once in a while I fit pop up say a thing or two but for now no need at all. Most of these arguments here sha, old as they are repeating themselves in different forms and shapes and people still comment.

I still always remember that your platos analogy sha, and I use it of course to my favour grin grin grin hehehehe.

Tell you what I want to go on a limb and say the fastest people that get converted are catholics, followed by convenant students. But when a muslim converts even a toad like me has to come out in the afternoon to read.
Re: I Abandoned Religion And God Today. I'm Free. by PastorAIO: 7:20pm On Apr 14, 2012
@Chris, Se the Allegory of the Cave. It is powerful sha, there is no denying. First time I heard it it had my head reeling for days. Till today there is nothing in the whole history of philosophy like it.

So you use it to your own advantage enh? I guess it can be applied to any unique experience, especially if it is a subjective one.
Re: I Abandoned Religion And God Today. I'm Free. by Chrisbenogor(m): 7:20pm On Apr 14, 2012
mazaje:

BABAAAAAAAAAA. . . . .You just disappear commut, no be so ohh. . .How you dey brother?. . .Hope you are good? best wishes. . .
My guy I just d̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣γ̲̣ jare, my village people just manage gather money complete for me to pay for internet. How hustle na?
Re: I Abandoned Religion And God Today. I'm Free. by Nobody: 7:22pm On Apr 14, 2012
Avicenna, first of all, know that I did not make this post to attack you.
Please tell me, have you never experienced anything of the supernatural? Maybe had a startlingly accurate premonition or had dreams that came to pass from time to time? Or even anything else? Have you truly never experienced the supernatural?

1 Like

Re: I Abandoned Religion And God Today. I'm Free. by Acelifted: 7:28pm On Apr 14, 2012
Avicenna: I am a regular poster in other threads except religion. I have followed most threads here without ever commenting. I must say,I came here confused and ignorant about my former religion-Islam. But Nairaland religious section opened my eyes. I searched,researched and after deep reflections, I concluded that all religions are fraudulent and the notion of a almighty God is flawed and won't hold up to rigorous scrutiny.
I used a new I.D to post this because I still remain in the closet. As a religious leader of some of my peeps, it will come as too much of a shock. Their reactions may be harsh. The reason I posted this is that some people are also atheists but due to a fear of being ostracised,they remain quiet. I want you to know you are not alone.

God does not need Nairaland or any social media or even outstanding miracles to convince the Atheist. His simple creation, the one we see everyday convinced him already. If he chooses to be dishonest about...well fine. God gave you a freewill anyway.

Stay blessed.
Re: I Abandoned Religion And God Today. I'm Free. by Nobody: 7:36pm On Apr 14, 2012
Avicenna: I must say,I came here confused and ignorant about my former religion-Islam.
Did you seek clarification for the things that confused you from credible sources?
Re: I Abandoned Religion And God Today. I'm Free. by Avicenna: 7:43pm On Apr 14, 2012
fellis: Avicenna, first of all, know that I did not make this post to attack you.
Please tell me, have you never experienced anything of the supernatural? Maybe had a startlingly accurate premonition or had dreams that came to pass from time to time? Or even anything else? Have you truly never experienced the supernatural?
I have had dreams about evil people trying to take me away once. I told my mother and she made me broadcast it all over the place with a stern warning to be prayerful. I laugh over it now. This things are explainable without regards to the supernatural. I have gone through problems lately that will make any religious person assume they are after him but this only served to reinforce my then,developing atheism. So if this is what you call the supernatural(visions,dreams,miracles,apparition etc) I have no belief in them.
Re: I Abandoned Religion And God Today. I'm Free. by Avicenna: 7:48pm On Apr 14, 2012
fellis:
Did you seek clarification for the things that confused you from credible sources?
I didn't tell them why I was asking the questions.I didn't even try to counter their argument too many times before they dropped a hint to my mother about my questions. Too much book they called my problem. When I say confused,I don't mean about the scriptures,they are clear. When I say ignorant, I mean I followed it blindly with my eyes open. So to speak.
Re: I Abandoned Religion And God Today. I'm Free. by Nobody: 8:05pm On Apr 14, 2012
Pastor AIO: like I suspected. Nairaland is doing a great deal to make people atheists and it is not the atheists that are causing it. It is the Inanity of the religious folks.
That all Christians and Muslims may know this... cheesy
Re: I Abandoned Religion And God Today. I'm Free. by PastorAIO: 8:07pm On Apr 14, 2012
Avicenna:
I didn't tell them why I was asking the questions.I didn't even try to counter their argument too many times before they dropped a hint to my mother about my questions. Too much book they called my problem. When I say confused,I don't mean about the scriptures,they are clear. When I say ignorant, I mean I followed it blindly with my eyes open. So to speak.

Are you saying that your fear of what they would tell your mother, your fear of social opprobrium, is what kept you from continuing to pursue your honest enquiries from these 'credible sources'? This makes me wonder how many people have questions but they are to afraid to ask them for fear of what people will say. Which obviously will contribute to the utterly shallow way in which religion is practised. Obviously since any deep questions are frowned upon it allows religion to be full of bloviating half wits who strut around like they are somebodies.

In fact any hint of profundity and honest enquiry is dismissed as 'too much book'. O ma se o!!
Re: I Abandoned Religion And God Today. I'm Free. by dekung(m): 8:08pm On Apr 14, 2012
Sweetlemon: LMAO@logicboy and others who give that excuse of no section for atheists on nl to come to religious section and talk and talk and talk and talk and talk and talk about a God they are supposed to hate on EVERY SINGLE religious thread! Must it be on the religion section since atheism is NOT a religion?? In fact, laff-wan-increace-d-size-of-my-ass!
Dude, atheist will continue to visit the religious forum to expose the lies that religion has told for centuries and stil telling. On a daily basis we are innundated by one religios noise or the other. Turn on the tv, monday through sunday and at almost every turn you hear one pastor or imam preaching. If someone told you something all your life and made you believe them even though he told you lies, immediately you realise the fraud wont you go all out to tell anyone that cares to listen that all the stories were fraud? Would you allow others to be defrauded just because you do not want to be associted with the liar? Religion and all its appendages has told us lies and made us believe them lies using the fear factor. Atheism is disbelief/unbelief in religious claims as a results athiest will fight/debunk religious claims whichever way they find possible and in a society like ours which is deeply religious yet innately corrupt, religions is a very sensitive issue, declaring you are irreligious stance may put you in harms way hence the need to constantly visit forums like nairaland to do your bit in debunking bogus religious claims annonymously. Besides, nairaland is a brainchild of an atheist so if you cant take the heat, get out of the kitchen.
@OP, I welcome you to the world of freedom. You will realise you are a lot lighter and think better. You will also realise you have nothing to fear again, you will be a lot happier and you are sure whatever happens to you is as a result of your actions and not because one skydaddy is either happy or angry with you.
Once again welcome
Re: I Abandoned Religion And God Today. I'm Free. by PastorAIO: 8:12pm On Apr 14, 2012
dekung: Besides, nairaland is a brainchild of an atheist.

Once again welcome

Actually he wasn't an atheist when he made nairaland, from what I can tell. It was the discussions here that turned him into an atheist. He is not the only one. So far I've counted like 4 or maybe 5.
Re: I Abandoned Religion And God Today. I'm Free. by Sweetlemon(f): 8:14pm On Apr 14, 2012
Pastor AIO: like I suspected. Nairaland is doing a great deal to make people atheists and it is not the atheists that are causing it. It is the Inanity of the religious folks.
That is why I have advised us to stop arguing with them! We will just be wasting out time cos they are so hardened that God and ONLY God can touch them by revealing himself to them. Until God does that, there aint a single thing u can do to convince them!

2 Likes

Re: I Abandoned Religion And God Today. I'm Free. by PastorAIO: 8:16pm On Apr 14, 2012
[
Sweetlemon:
That is why I have advised us to stop arguing with them! We will just be wasting out time cos they are so hardened that God and ONLY God can touch them by revealing himself to them. Until God does that, there aint a single thing u can do to convince them!

I hear you though I think a much better advice would be for us religious folks to stop being such inane nincompoops.
Re: I Abandoned Religion And God Today. I'm Free. by emofine2(f): 8:17pm On Apr 14, 2012
Free?

Free of what?. . .

Free of god? Free of religion? Free to find your own truth? Free to exercise your unbelief?

I'm sorry to say this but perhaps you're not free. The fact you may have to conceal your irreligious status what's more pose as a "leader" whist reconciling with your unbelief is not at all a free setting and whilst it's largely due to cultural constraint and intolerance sadly at the end of the day you are not free from rebuke, pretense worst of all society. Even still as an unbeliever or apostate religion still has an effect. You are free to disagree with me sha. Good luck on your journey.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (37) (Reply)

Must See Hilarious Announcement By A Church About Fuel Scarcity / Rev Esther Ajayi Praises MC Oluomo, Leads Him To Greet Obasanjo, Ooni And Others / Kaduna To Evict 110-Year-Old Anglican Church, CAN Kicks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.