Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,043 members, 7,799,529 topics. Date: Wednesday, 17 April 2024 at 12:04 AM

The Need To Project the Igbo Image through the media - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Need To Project the Igbo Image through the media (1220 Views)

Fuel Scarcity: What The Media Won’t Report / Jonathan To Project Key Gains At Today’s Declaration. / Jonathan To Project Key Gains At Today’s Declaration - (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Need To Project the Igbo Image through the media by Afam4eva(m): 8:14pm On Apr 14, 2012
Since the war ended in 1970, Igbos have settled to their fate as Nigerians against their wish to have a seperate identity in Biafra. Since then, Igbos have been travelling in their droves to different parts of the country and the world seeking for a better life which was hugely neccessitated by the brutality meted out to them both physically, economically and otherwise. Since then, Igbos all over the world have succeeded far and above their pairs. They have written there names in gold and given Africans reasons to be proud. They have climbed the ladder of success in some of the world's biggest institutions. They have gained educational feats in some of the best schools in the world. Illietrate millonaires have been made courtesy of their undying hustling spirit. They have dominated many sectors in Nigeria etc. But beyond all these personal achievement of Igbos, they've not translated it into something that every Igbo man or woman will be proud to be called Igbo.

Do you know that in the 1990s, Ikwerres and other small Igbo groups who often denied their Igbo heritage were more likely too be indentified as Igbo than in this millenium. One of the reasons being that they had something Igbotic to hold on to. That's when the Igbo movies were booming and throught eastern Nigeria and the rest of Nigeria, people watched our movies and wanted to identify with our language and ways of life. Those Ikwerres watched Igbo movies and listened to conc Igbo movies from Oliver d'coque, Bright Chimezie, Osita Osadebe and co. If you visited an Ikwerre village in the 90s, there was nothing to show that they were not Igbos. I'm using this analogy to explain why no one seems to respect and identify with Igbos anymore. Our individualistic disposition have made us to forget that we have a common disolve to put Igbo on the map. By that i don't mean putting Ngozi Okonjo Iweala, Philip Emeagwali, Chimamanda Adichie etc on the map. I mean doing something that will make the average Igbo person to identify with his/her roots.

We no longer have Igbo movies and most of our young musicians sing songs that have bo Igbo content in them. We don't even have a single national TV station that will sell Igbo to Nigeria and the world. That's why the media can say anything about Igbos without Igbos having the medium to dispell such unfounded accusations. I almost cried when i saw a few Ibibio movies been shown on TV. How do you explain that a group that is way smaller than Igbos in size are trying to promote their language and culture while all Igbo film producers are busy creating English movies like they invented the language. Why can't some of our movie producers go back to producing Igbo movies like they did in the 90s. Why can't we have a TV stationed dedicated to correcting the negative image that's hovering above our heads. We should start looking at what is best for Igboland before anything else.
Re: The Need To Project the Igbo Image through the media by lincy(f): 9:31pm On Apr 14, 2012
Gbam! IGBOs ar brains and machinaries behind d progress of order tribs, plz bring dem back home : nnaji G, Rita dominic, okereke steph, jim. Iyke,eucheria anunobi,emeka ike sent obi kanayo O kanayo etc, u can imagin if dey all live lasgidi nollywood is finish,
Re: The Need To Project the Igbo Image through the media by lincy(f): 9:34pm On Apr 14, 2012
For media and other means of marketing d trib, we will all contribut through Igbo tax. Igbo kwenu!

@DSTV we v yeruba and huasa no IGBO
Re: The Need To Project the Igbo Image through the media by Afam4eva(m): 9:47pm On Apr 14, 2012
lincy: For media and other means of marketing d trib, we will all contribut through Igbo tax. Igbo kwenu!

@DSTV we v yeruba and huasa no IGBO

You're right. The reason there's no African magic Igbo is because there's no Igbo content to broadcast. No movie, music, books etc. It's really shameful.
Re: The Need To Project the Igbo Image through the media by Yeske2(m): 10:50pm On Apr 14, 2012
@Afam, i think you are missing something. Mytv has stations dedicated to Hausa, Igbo and Yoruba respectively. I guess you forgot that that the culture depicted by nollywood though mostly scripted in English language is overwhelming Igbo. What about 'nna e', so common around western Cameroon and southern Africa even if they really don't know what it means. This is called soft power and this is being noted world wide so chill nwanne'm?.
Re: The Need To Project the Igbo Image through the media by lincy(f): 6:30am On Apr 15, 2012
@Yeske! Or what do u kal ur self, the common cable used by nigerians is DSTV which am sure an average onitsha/Aba international market trader usues and we all know dat 99percent of dis treaders ar igbos"nna e" I hear for d first time let's be real to our selfs we ar still living under d influnce of lost war . Let i
Igbos take a day leav in nigeria and see d effect on d nation and china
Re: The Need To Project the Igbo Image through the media by aljharem(m): 6:55am On Apr 15, 2012
Interesting views Afam. I strongly disagree with you because of the following reasons.

1. Where I live and even in Idumota, you can buy, rent and watch Igbo language movies. Nollywood has indeed promoted the Igbo culture more than the hausa and the yoruba. You have forgotten than not everyone understands hausawa and yoruba but today even a Jamaican can say "Biko" "nna" etc Same cannot be said of others because they do not hold nollywood which can be a powerful propaganda tool.

2. DSTv would not have Igbo channel because it is expensive to maintain, that is why we need to support Hitv and co so we can get home made satellite channels which can be customised to any of the 12 Nigeria languages you want just like as it is done in other developed country.

3. There are quite a number of songs in Igbo language (infact too much sef grin ). A recent musician that adds the Igbo flavour which I love is P-square (Go check their songs and confirm). Also other popular legendary songs which happens to be Igbo is the one of MC loph which is Osondi Owendi. Also you forgot the highlife music that happens in Owerri because of the hostels and also Nnewi.

4. I don't think the media speaks bad of Igbo. Afam you done start again !

Before I go, Afam stop making an issue out of nothing. Nollywood English is what has made Igbo culture very popular. Infact Nollywood has helped Nigeria a lot to make us known. I can categorically tell you that if Igbos even do more than this would be tagged as dominating so relax and leave Igbo Issues in the hands of Chineke. Let stop making our dispora brothers and sisters paranoid.
Re: The Need To Project the Igbo Image through the media by lincy(f): 7:13am On Apr 15, 2012
@ alamajiri Harem, u don't come marketing Hitv own by OBJ wen a seriouse matter is being delibrated by d. Igbos and who told u igbos can not pay d bills of d Dstv . U know d igbos can hav an independent tv station dat can serv d whole africa as a nation, we'll let me hold my peace cause d essence of d thread is not to hav a context with oda trib but to delibrate on issues and knw way. Forward, wish d tread topic be modify by making inviting to igbos in niara land were opinons ar welcomed,
Re: The Need To Project the Igbo Image through the media by Afam4eva(m): 1:57pm On Apr 15, 2012
Yeske!:
@Afam, i think you are missing something. Mytv has stations dedicated to Hausa, Igbo and Yoruba respectively. I guess you forgot that that the culture depicted by nollywood though mostly scripted in English language is overwhelming Igbo. What about 'nna e', so common around western Cameroon and southern Africa even if they really don't know what it means. This is called soft power and this is being noted world wide so chill nwanne'm?.

What's MyTV? I'm talking of having Igbo stations in mainstream television and not some unknown cable TV. We have to create a station through which we can project our image to the world.
Re: The Need To Project the Igbo Image through the media by Yeske2(m): 8:57pm On Apr 15, 2012
^^^^Whichever way is a way, be it station, nollywood, the prints, music etc, the culture is being projected farther than you think bro so relax.
Re: The Need To Project the Igbo Image through the media by buzor(m): 9:17pm On Apr 15, 2012
@afam i totally disagree with u on this issue. i think for d first time, i incline to alj harem view..
nollywood though in English sells mostly igbo content and culture.
i think y we have yoruba n hausa stations in dstv without igbo channel is because its assumed that nollywood is igbo film industry
Re: The Need To Project the Igbo Image through the media by Afam4eva(m): 9:24pm On Apr 15, 2012
buzor: @afam i totally disagree with u on this issue. i think for d first time, i incline to alj harem view..
nollywood though in English sells mostly igbo content and culture.
i think y we have yoruba n hausa stations in dstv without igbo channel is because its assumed that nollywood is igbo film industry

I agree that African magic English is reserved for Igbos because they dominate that sector. But shouldn't we be trying to promote our language through movies?Why can't some percentage of those English producers go into producing Igbo movies.
Re: The Need To Project the Igbo Image through the media by EkoIle1: 9:31pm On Apr 15, 2012
Yeske!:
^^^^Whichever way is a way, be it station, nollywood, the prints, music etc, the culture is being projected farther than you think bro so relax.

If what Nollywood is projecting is good image for you people, they y'all have some serious issues.....
Re: The Need To Project the Igbo Image through the media by NegroNtns(m): 9:44pm On Apr 15, 2012
@OP,

If I am correct, you want a political voice for the Igbo brand. I must ask you, which Igbo brand. . . . the one you currently exhibit or a new one you plan to bring out?

As far as Nollywood goes, your people have a resource in their hand but lack the brain to make it work to your advantage. . .you need Yoruba brain and savviness to operate it. There is no reason why, with Nollywood, Igbo cannot be the mainstream culture that everyone else copy, but like I said. . . you are not Yoruba so you lack the vision to see beyond its commercial utility.

1 Like

Re: The Need To Project the Igbo Image through the media by Yeske2(m): 9:59pm On Apr 15, 2012
Eko Ile:

If what Nollywood is projecting is good image for you people, they y'all have some serious issues.....

Stop bringing up issues, argue within the context of what the OP is saying please even your movies portray some of the ills of Igbo 'culturally dominated' nollywood.

(1) (Reply)

We Are Ready For Boko Haram —lagos State Government / Amaechi Win NGF Election Again / APC is Predictably Useless. See Why

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.