Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,818 members, 7,806,296 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 02:18 PM

What Not To Say In An Interview - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / What Not To Say In An Interview (14311 Views)

Is It Right To Say Thank You To Your Boss When Collecting Your Salary? / 9 Smart Ways To Say No To Your Boss Without Losing Your Job / Questions A Job Seeker Shouldn't Ask In An Interview. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Not To Say In An Interview by Havilah93(m): 9:37pm On Apr 14, 2012
The interviewer is examining the candidate for the following criteria:

- Qualified to do the job
- Willing to do the job and advance corporate goals
- Able to fit in with the current corporate culture

There are some things you can say that could knock you out of the running. The following statements send an alarm to the
interviewer that you may not meet one of the above criteria.

1. Negative comments about your current or past employers and
co-workers.

No good can come from talking down your past employers. You run the risk of seeming like an employee that may be a "management problem."

2. Requests for special hours or equipment unless you have a handicap that necessitates special accommodations.

If you are asking for special treatment during the interview,
one can only imagine your requests once you're comfortably
hired. Can you say, "High maintenance?"

3. Avoid initiating salary discussions or making demands in the early interview stages.

Let the prospective employer initiate salary discussions. It is OK to give a range, or to ask what they feel the range is for the position.

However, it can be a
turnoff if you are the one to initiate the subject of salary.

4. Asking about vacation days, sick days or holidays.

This can be a turnoff because you may seem more interested in time off rather than the job itself.

Would a hardworking, dedicated employee be more focused on
days off or doing a good job?

5. Don't give a list of the things you won't do.

Telling an interviewer that you don't answer phones, or file, or work overtime is another alarm.

Make sure you apply for positions that are appropriate for you, and understand that
there will always be tasks that are not enjoyable.

6. Asking, "What is it your company does again?"

Take the time to know about the company before you interview.

7. "I don't know, I just saw your ad and I thought I'd give this a
try."

Yes, candidates really say this. Always prepare yourself. If you don't know why you are there, or how this position fits in with your goals, maybe you should
not be there.

8. "I don't have any negative points."

In an interview, you may be asked to list your negative qualities. Have at least one ready, and more importantly explain
how you are working to improve it. Another angle is to explain how it is negative and also positive. For example, "Once I
start a project I throw myself into it and sometimes neglect
personal obligations. I have to keep myself in check to avoid burnout."

9. Avoid argumentative statements.

Remember you want to be liked and fit in. If you are hired you will have plenty of time to learn their business and make
suggestions. The interview is not
the time to argue and force your opinions.

10. No whining or complaining.

Leave your personal problems at home. Present yourself as a
strong, capable person that can overcome setbacks and challenges.

11. Do not make dishonest or misleading statements.

The truth tends to come out at some point. The old adage
"Honesty is the best policy" applies here.

12. It goes without saying that slang and expletives should not
be used.

Derogatory remarks about a particular gender, race or nationality are out of line.

13 Likes

Re: What Not To Say In An Interview by DECOtech(m): 10:33pm On Apr 18, 2012
Thanks bro. I'm so grateful for this info.
Re: What Not To Say In An Interview by Nobody: 9:23am On Apr 19, 2012
No 1 is very vital. It's one of the Golden Rules of interview.
Re: What Not To Say In An Interview by DisGuy: 5:08pm On Apr 19, 2012
hehe

I slagged off a former employer in fact the guy squeeze face for me, i was in college- part time job

Another time,

I said : sorry, i've got mint in my mouth I think I'm getting the flu and a bit of cough grin

bak in the day things
Re: What Not To Say In An Interview by Havilah93(m): 8:57pm On Apr 19, 2012
Dis Guy: hehe

I slagged off a former employer in fact the guy squeeze face for me, i was in college- part time job

Another time,

I said : sorry, i've got mint in my mouth I think I'm getting the flu and a bit of cough grin

bak in the day things
eeyah!, but some people feel bogus and over- confident when going for interviews. And they come back boasting not knowing that they already failed.
Re: What Not To Say In An Interview by Nobody: 2:15pm On May 18, 2012
tanx 4 dis very important info. Another point is to avoid laughing unessasrily when a funny question is asked. Nd to also avoid reacting aggressively when a ridiculous question is asked. Imagine an interviewer asking such a question '4rm ur cv u ar 35yrs nd still single, why?'
Re: What Not To Say In An Interview by binky2: 3:36pm On May 22, 2012
D info is wel undastud. Bt i wuld lyk 2knw is it bad 2gve an intaviewer a winkin smile?
Re: What Not To Say In An Interview by Willy7(m): 3:40pm On May 22, 2012
Thanks for sharing,God bless
Re: What Not To Say In An Interview by Bayils(m): 3:43pm On May 22, 2012
Touchy αηd informative!!!!!!
Re: What Not To Say In An Interview by Roon9(m): 3:55pm On May 22, 2012
binky2: D info is wel undastud. Bt i wuld lyk 2knw is it bad 2gve an intaviewer a winkin smile?
Y wud u b winkin @ ur interviewer
Re: What Not To Say In An Interview by olap001(m): 3:56pm On May 22, 2012
Another thing is the use of acronyms especially if one has been in employment before. It is easy to get carried away thinking the same acronyms apply to different industries
Re: What Not To Say In An Interview by Nonybb: 4:07pm On May 22, 2012
THAT MEANS INTERVIEWS ARE FOR PRETENCE. PPL HYPE THERE LEVELS AND PRETEND WAT THERE ARE NOT. WAT IF I MANAGE MY ANGER FOR THAT FEW SECONDS AND THEY LATER DISCOVERED AM A TIGER. ITS ALL ABOUT IMPOSING ANOTHER PERSONALITY WHILE U GRAB THE THING I GUESS

1 Like

Re: What Not To Say In An Interview by rekeson: 4:30pm On May 22, 2012
Re: What Not To Say In An Interview by Clemzy16(m): 4:33pm On May 22, 2012
Nice 1. Tnkz bro. Buh sum of d comments were kinda funny.
Re: What Not To Say In An Interview by cbjonstage(m): 4:36pm On May 22, 2012
Nonybb: THAT MEANS INTERVIEWS ARE FOR PRETENCE. PPL HYPE THERE LEVELS AND PRETEND WAT THERE ARE NOT. WAT IF I MANAGE MY ANGER FOR THAT FEW SECONDS AND THEY LATER DISCOVERED AM A TIGER. ITS ALL ABOUT IMPOSING ANOTHER PERSONALITY WHILE U GRAB THE THING I GUESS

WOT IF D APPLICANT IS A REHABILITATE MILITANT E.G. NIGER-DELTA OR BOKOM HARAM grin cheesy shocked wink
Re: What Not To Say In An Interview by jennyb2: 5:27pm On May 22, 2012
great information there! tnks @op. honestly dis are threads that shuld make front page.

1 Like

Re: What Not To Say In An Interview by tessyade: 7:10pm On May 22, 2012
@op great work. We have more of it but these ones are among the most important.
Re: What Not To Say In An Interview by zumarock8(m): 7:13pm On May 22, 2012
Nonybb: THAT MEANS INTERVIEWS ARE FOR PRETENCE. PPL HYPE THERE LEVELS AND PRETEND WAT THERE ARE NOT. WAT IF I MANAGE MY ANGER FOR THAT FEW SECONDS AND THEY LATER DISCOVERED AM A TIGER. ITS ALL ABOUT IMPOSING ANOTHER PERSONALITY WHILE U GRAB THE THING I GUESS

ur mouthed

if u pretend and ur laterd discover na one hand sack get u,
Re: What Not To Say In An Interview by otokx(m): 7:55pm On May 22, 2012
cool post
Re: What Not To Say In An Interview by zangiff(m): 8:16pm On May 22, 2012
great post there bro,its nice

1 Like

Re: What Not To Say In An Interview by inspirizu(m): 8:26pm On May 22, 2012
cbjonstage:

WOT IF D APPLICANT IS A REHABILITATE MILITANT E.G. NIGER-DELTA OR BOKOM HARAM grin cheesy shocked wink
[quote author=cbjonstage]

U won use laugh send me go hell LWNKMD
Iro ewo! Na lie
Na heaven straight
Re: What Not To Say In An Interview by rexfada(m): 8:41pm On May 22, 2012
this tips r very enlightening. Pls I need more cos am going for an interview (my first ever) moro
Re: What Not To Say In An Interview by GboyegaD(m): 10:04pm On May 22, 2012
marvis5077: tanx 4 dis very important info. Another point is to avoid laughing unessasrily when a funny question is asked. Nd to also avoid reacting aggressively when a ridiculous question is asked. Imagine an interviewer asking such a question '4rm ur cv u ar 35yrs nd still single, why?'

No employer has right to ask you such question as that is too personal. If you ask me, I will politely tell you I do not respond to such question because it is too personal.
Re: What Not To Say In An Interview by Havilah93(m): 10:09pm On May 22, 2012
binky2: D info is wel undastud. Bt i wuld lyk 2knw is it bad 2gve an intaviewer a winkin smile?
the interviewer may take you for the unserious type, so stay as focused as possible, and be confident but not proud. Dont form 'i too know'
Re: What Not To Say In An Interview by Havilah93(m): 10:18pm On May 22, 2012
rexfada: this tips r very enlightening. Pls I need more cos am going for an interview (my first ever) moro
best of all tomorrow, just add the comment above this post ^^to the ones already mentioned, and with God on your side......... ..
Re: What Not To Say In An Interview by Decryptor(m): 10:21pm On May 22, 2012
I was once guilty of No.1 and 19 undecided
Re: What Not To Say In An Interview by Nobody: 10:41pm On May 22, 2012
In addition to what @op has said, the followings are also true.
1. Don't answer questions with just YES and NO.
2. Always have a question to ask, it shows you are interested in the company.
3. Don't sit down until you are told to do so.
4. When you enter the interview room, close the door (if applicable) without taking your eyes of or backingthe interviewers. It shows you are security conscious.
5. Don't be soft spoken. Speak up confidently too.
6. Shake hands firmly if the interviewer offers his/her hand.
7. Remember you are the applicant, don't go interviewing the interviewer.
8. Sit upright and confidently.
9. Make eye contact with the interviewer.
10. don't act as if you are so desperate for the job.
11. Don't discuss your personal and family issues.
If for any reason you are offered a meal. Do remember your table manners and proper use of cutleries.
If you are invited for an interview and nobody seems to attend to you. Don't fidget and complain. Someone may be watching.
(Some guyz were invited for an interview and were not attended to. They were there till late in the evening. Some people left, while the very few who stayed back where given appointment letters without further interiew- in fact, that was their interview. Happened in one of the big telecommunication firms.

2 Likes

Re: What Not To Say In An Interview by BIGERBOY1: 10:43pm On May 22, 2012
How do u respond to the' desert' question, like ; what 2 tins would u need if u were stuck in a desert?

I got d question in an interview recently(I was tempted to answer a picture of my ex, to motivate me to stay longer). But seriously what's the best answer?
Re: What Not To Say In An Interview by Biodup: 11:07pm On May 22, 2012
Best post of d week.

1 Like

Re: What Not To Say In An Interview by Nobody: 11:18pm On May 22, 2012
BIGER BOY: How do u respond to the' desert' question, like ; what 2 tins would u need if u were stuck in a desert?

I got d question in an interview recently(I was tempted to answer a picture of my ex, to motivate me to stay longer). But seriously what's the best answer?
There is actually no best answer per say. What you may need might the diiferent from what someone else may care about.
Water bottle and water- To keep you alive.
Ipod, CD, books, newspaper etc to entertain.
Something mentally tasky like jigsaw, puzzle, game...
Technically, a human being might not count because the question says 'things'.
Finally, the interviewer just want to ascertain how fast you can think outside the box as regards crisis management not necessarily expecting a specific answer from you.

1 Like

Re: What Not To Say In An Interview by Kaynana(m): 11:25pm On May 22, 2012
Nice and cool post of the week

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

A Proven Way To Achieve Your Goals / Can I Combine Studying Medicine, Surgery And Work At The Same Time ? / The Struggling #nairalife Of A Widow Who’s Raising Four Kids

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.