Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,491 members, 7,781,470 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 02:59 PM

Ngozi Okonjo-iweala Could Make History On Two Counts - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ngozi Okonjo-iweala Could Make History On Two Counts (7299 Views)

Saraki Pleads Not Guilty To Amended 16 Counts / The Questions Okonjo-iweala Could Not Answer By Oshiomhole / The Questions Okonjo-Iweala Could Not Answer By Oshiomhole (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ngozi Okonjo-iweala Could Make History On Two Counts by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 6:36pm On Apr 15, 2012
African viewpoint: Banking on change?
COMMENTS (43)

Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala could make history on two counts
Continue reading the main story
African Viewpoint

Goodbye to Bush House
Revealing all
All hype, no justice?
Are birthdays overrated?
In our series of viewpoints from African journalists, writer Sola Odunfa considers whether the US has the stomach for change on the global financial front.

In the next few weeks a new president will be announced for World Bank in Washington DC.

Ordinarily this should not be something that excites anybody outside the inner recesses of governments.

But this time it does - because it offers an opportunity for historic changes.

Firstly, it gives the possibility of having the first non-American as president in the history of the institution.

Start Quote

We are not asking the US not to compete, we are just asking for a level playing field where candidates can be evaluated on their merits”

Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala
And that possibility is strong, considering that the most outstanding candidate, technically, for the position is an African.

Secondly, that candidate is a woman - Nigeria's Finance Minister Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, a former vice-president of the bank.

She is jointly nominated by Angola, South Africa and Nigeria and sponsored by the African Union (AU).

The two other candidates are Jose Antonio Ocampo, Colombia's former finance minister and university professor - nominated by Brazil; and Jim Yong Kim, a doctor and leading UN health official - nominated by US President Barack Obama.

The presidency of World Bank has been exclusive to the United States since it was founded in 1944 - and has never been held by a woman.

Although the office is filled by election, the process is weighted in favour of the major economic powers, just as free, fair and democratic elections in many African countries are programmed to favour particular parties or ethnic groups.

Swallowing the medicine
Uncle Sam, being the largest contributor to the bank's funds, has about 16% of all votes in its hat.

Added to those of its traditional European allies, the votes give its candidate an unassailable advantage.

US President Barack Obama favours Jim Yong Kim (C) for the World Bank position
Whenever the coast is stormy US officials dip into their diplomatic hat and wave a warning to everyone that if the American candidate loses there will be no guarantee that the US Congress will continue to fund the bank.

But after having produced the bank's first 11 successive presidents, America is now under increased pressure to support the election of the 12th from a developing nation.

This time other countries are hoping that they can persuade the US to subtly allow the selection to be based on merit, arguing it would be in America's own interest to have a better-performing bank - and, in exchange, secure future political support in other areas.

Proponents of this idea say such a change has the potential of making the bank more responsive to its founding objectives.

Ethiopian Prime Minister Meles Zenawi says even the acceptance of the candidature of Africa's Ms Okonjo-Iweala is "clear evidence that the bank is prepared to embrace a paradigm change from perceptions that have not been of benefit to the global economy".

Start Quote

There is a tradition amongst the Hausa of northern Nigeria that when you offer them a drug for an ailment they ask if you have administered it on yourself”

And the lady herself says "we are not asking the US not to compete, we are just asking for a level playing field where candidates can be evaluated on their merits".

The two other candidates are not without merit.

Dr Kim, a former director in the HIV department at the World Health Organization, delivered life-saving anti-retroviral drugs to three million people in poor countries within three years.

Professor Ocampo's stint as Colombia's finance minister was highly regarded.

However, neither has Ms Okonjo-Iweala's international economic exposure - and she is the only woman.

There is a tradition amongst the Hausa of northern Nigeria that when you offer them a drug for an ailment they ask if you have administered it on yourself.

That way they determine your knowledge of their ailment, the drug's potency and its side effects.

Of the three candidates, Ms Okonjo-Iweala has been a participant at some level in the formulation of World Bank policies, an executor of those policies in a debtor country and a victim of the side effects.

If you would like to comment on Sola Odunfa's latest column, please use the form below.

Your comments (43)http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-17604930
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-iweala Could Make History On Two Counts by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 11:23am On Apr 16, 2012
Pic:Ngozi Okonjo Iweala

Re: Ngozi Okonjo-iweala Could Make History On Two Counts by begwong: 2:09pm On Apr 16, 2012
Vote for Meritocracy,vote NOI!
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-iweala Could Make History On Two Counts by Nobody: 2:13pm On Apr 16, 2012
she don carry her oyel subsidy matter run abi.. jonathan's left brain out... wetin jonah go do now?
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-iweala Could Make History On Two Counts by Nobody: 2:15pm On Apr 16, 2012
Play her out jare, I dont care either. She stood with Uncle Jona and played us politics selling her birthright to western govt. in return for a favour of rise in social status.

Come to think of it of what use is the IMF & WB to africa as a whole?
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-iweala Could Make History On Two Counts by Canisma(m): 2:38pm On Apr 16, 2012
Why is this even an issue ? She has lost it already. The U.S that she was trying to impress with removal of oil subsidy has finally turned their back on her. We would be dreaming to expect her to win it without American support.
We would literally become ALICE IN WONDERLAND. Lol
Nice try, Ngoo. Now come home and fix our damn economy. Afterall, that was why odechukwu hired you in the first place.
But wait a minute, this woman is totally unrealistic in her policies. Do you guys think that America is blind to this fact ?
BBC, CNN and AL JAZEERA were all wondering during the strike, why an oil rich country like Nigeria would remove subsidy, against the masses wish, as the only way to source fund to develop its infra-structure.
It was then that they knew that it was either Mrs Iweala has gone crazy or she has become corrupt.
THEREFORE, CRY NOT FOR HER, NIGERIA.

2 Likes

Re: Ngozi Okonjo-iweala Could Make History On Two Counts by alfredo4u(m): 2:54pm On Apr 16, 2012
Na so God go push all of them out from office unless dey put subsidy bonus to work.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-iweala Could Make History On Two Counts by highland(m): 2:57pm On Apr 16, 2012
She is the qualified on merit but Americans will not allow it for political reasons.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-iweala Could Make History On Two Counts by Okonkwosamuel(m): 2:58pm On Apr 16, 2012
Lets support our fellow nigerian. She is about to break a jinx in which no african has done.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-iweala Could Make History On Two Counts by alfredo4u(m): 3:04pm On Apr 16, 2012
The 1st tin she wil do is to remove THIRD WORLD ALLOWANCES so dat we go remain unda poverty like nija today.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-iweala Could Make History On Two Counts by mcfestgee: 3:13pm On Apr 16, 2012
CANISMA is another big fool on Nairaland.
Who knows how to insult his father. Idiot. Ode.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-iweala Could Make History On Two Counts by Nebeuwa(m): 3:24pm On Apr 16, 2012
She is the most qualified person running for the job now that Jose Antonio Ocampo ended his bid and backed Ms. Okonjo-Iweala.

Let us be honest, Dr. Jim Yong Kim is a very intelligent man, but he is no economist. He doesn't even have a background in business unlike Ms. Okonjo-Iweala. As an American, I have been taught to believe in meritocracy so let us hope that the new head of the World Bank is picked based on merit and not politics.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-iweala Could Make History On Two Counts by kelvincoll(m): 3:28pm On Apr 16, 2012
Canisma: Why is this even an issue ? She has lost it already. The U.S that she was trying to impress with removal of oil subsidy has finally turned their back on her. We would be dreaming to expect her to win it without American support.
We would literally become ALICE IN WONDERLAND. Lol
Nice try, Ngoo. Now come home and fix our damn economy. Afterall, that was why odechukwu hired you in the first place.
But wait a minute, this woman is totally unrealistic in her policies. Do you guys think that America is blind to this fact ?
BBC, CNN and AL JAZEERA were all wondering during the strike, why an oil rich country like Nigeria would remove subsidy, against the masses wish, as the only way to source fund to develop its infra-structure.
It was then that they knew that it was either Mrs Iweala has gone crazy or she has become corrupt.
THEREFORE, CRY NOT FOR HER, NIGERIA.

Would you rather vote for the US other than your own NOI? some would say what do i have to gain from her being WB President but then i ask what would you have to gain when the americans wins the bid?

1 Like

Re: Ngozi Okonjo-iweala Could Make History On Two Counts by Fan2: 3:29pm On Apr 16, 2012
highland: She is the qualified on merit but Americans will not allow it for political reasons.
you are right but i think been on preasure by the world they will reconcider their stand n allow free play.Anyway she has my vote.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-iweala Could Make History On Two Counts by Nobody: 3:40pm On Apr 16, 2012
Is HI-NECK INEC going to conduct the election, then there is 100% hope for anti Ngoo.
Otherwise, for wild goose chase.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-iweala Could Make History On Two Counts by Canisma(m): 4:08pm On Apr 16, 2012
I forgive all insults. So its ok.
Its not about support, rather, its about how many countries that are backing her.
Only Africa and South America is backing her.
North America, Asia, Europe and Australia have been arm-twisted to go for Jim.
Let some people stop talking about merit, everything is politics.
Our own Gej did not become president out of merit, Rather, it was all because of where he came from, AND THEN A GOOD MEASURE OF DESTINY. Kapish.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-iweala Could Make History On Two Counts by Nobody: 4:35pm On Apr 16, 2012
I wish I can see a forum with less brain dead people.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-iweala Could Make History On Two Counts by ideylaff: 5:15pm On Apr 16, 2012
Okonjo misses out on WB Dream role as head
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-iweala Could Make History On Two Counts by 1025: 5:23pm On Apr 16, 2012
She is the qualified on merit but Americans will not allow it for political reasons.

@highland,
wetin qualify her? she is the candidate from the worst country? what is she going to give the world that she can't give her country? before this world bank issue, i used to hear people say that charity begins at home. how is nigeria that a nigerian want to rule the world via the world bank?
i am disappointed with the whole world for even nominating a nigerian for such important position.
let this woman look us in the face and tell us how far she has gone with the subsidy money since january.
my prayer is that God will not let that woman or any other nigerian that has contributed in this mess of a jungle called nigeria to see any thing good.
she has no shame in her eyes.
the failure of jonathan to win ecowas chairman should have been a lesson to all sentiments ridden nigerians.
we are a national disgrace.
pdp and whatever they stand for shld be in the waste paper baskets including those working for and with them.
a woman from the only country in the world without light now the world bank president, shame to all the world leaders if she pulls through.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-iweala Could Make History On Two Counts by ibrash600: 5:35pm On Apr 16, 2012
so wat nxt aftr she don lose...make she carry her big chin come nigeria tell odechukwu make he reverse fuel 2 #65/Lt abi no b bcoz world bank she dy shout removal of fuel subsidy ni?
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-iweala Could Make History On Two Counts by successking: 6:01pm On Apr 16, 2012
1025:

@highland,
wetin qualify her? she is the candidate from the worst country? what is she going to give the world that she can't give her country? before this world bank issue, i used to hear people say that charity begins at home. how is nigeria that a nigerian want to rule the world via the world bank?
i am disappointed with the whole world for even nominating a nigerian for such important position.
let this woman look us in the face and tell us how far she has gone with the subsidy money since january.
my prayer is that God will not let that woman or any other nigerian that has contributed in this mess of a jungle called nigeria to see any thing good.
the failure of jonathan to win ecowas chairman should have been a lesson to all sentiments ridden nigerians.
pdp and whatever they stand for shld be in the waste paper baskets including those working for and with them.
a woman from the only country in the world without light now the world bank president, shame to all the world leaders if she pulls through.

You are really living in the world filled with rancour, remember, it adds no value to man but rather erodes. Change your words or NOI will become world bank president in your absence.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-iweala Could Make History On Two Counts by successking: 6:01pm On Apr 16, 2012
1025:

@highland,

You are really living in the world filled with rancour, remember, it adds no value to man but rather erodes. Change your words or NOI will become world bank president in your absence.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-iweala Could Make History On Two Counts by sunkoye: 6:20pm On Apr 16, 2012
what was her impact on ordinary nigerians day to day hussle.we are too forgetful and this is killing us fast. nigerians can vote for monsters as long as its their own. ode gbogbo!!
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-iweala Could Make History On Two Counts by peace2all(m): 6:25pm On Apr 16, 2012
Kim is named world bank president
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-iweala Could Make History On Two Counts by Lucy001(f): 6:25pm On Apr 16, 2012
Breaking news she lost to the American doctor, formally a South Korean.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-iweala Could Make History On Two Counts by Drunk: 6:30pm On Apr 16, 2012
Congratulations and "She lost" i guess she'll now concentrate on the task given to her back home.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-iweala Could Make History On Two Counts by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 6:38pm On Apr 16, 2012
America is the global word for bigotry. Talk about meritocracy but wat does America have to offer, cronyism.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-iweala Could Make History On Two Counts by GboyegaD(m): 7:02pm On Apr 16, 2012
I wonder when people would become more truthful to themselves. Like some posters have said which I support, her candidacy cannot sail through considering the state of her country. How do you expect someone who served in her country as a minister and cannot help reduce the poverty faced by her people to improve world condition? Do we think the world politics thrive on ethnic sentimental like ours
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-iweala Could Make History On Two Counts by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 7:07pm On Apr 16, 2012
GboyegaD: I wonder when people would become more truthful to themselves. Like some posters have said which I support, her candidacy cannot sail through considering the state of her country. How do you expect someone who served in her country as a minister and cannot help reduce the poverty faced by her people to improve world condition? Do we think the world politics thrive on ethnic sentimental like ours

So in your high opinion, America has solved all its problem and eradicated poverty on its soil. Wake up and don't go back to sleep. The world is a place of bigotry and the white man magnified that through colonialism and slavery like never before.

In ur high opinion, it is a coincident that all world bank President happen to be Americans or was the newly appointed health expert more qualified than Harvard economist, former world bank vice president and managing director Ngozi?
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-iweala Could Make History On Two Counts by Canisma(m): 9:07pm On Apr 16, 2012
Lets face it. Her world bank candidacy was more of a personal adventure to her than it is to Nigeria and Africa. All she could have achieved is more loans to her beloved country and Africa, thereby plunging countries like Nigeria into debts, while PDP touts would, as usual, pocket the money and we would still be where we are.
World Bank President, My foot.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-iweala Could Make History On Two Counts by Nobody: 10:58pm On Apr 16, 2012
Like someone rightly said " Charity begins at Home". This is a wake up call for every nigerian. Seest thou a man/woman diligent in his/her business? he/she shall stand before kings; he shall not stand before mean men.proverb 22:29
put one and two together she wasnt diligent in her work to nigeria and the western world doesnt want any of our stigma. corruption is like cancer....... I have spoken!
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-iweala Could Make History On Two Counts by 1025: 10:24am On Apr 17, 2012

@successking,
where are u now? are u still waiting for the history? maybe the truth has came in ur absence.
a typical nigerian does not think well and that is why we are still under the ruler-ship of criminals and half baked men and women. okonjo iweala is the wisest nigerian and we all agree but the wisest man in nigeria is like a fool outside here. what has ur okonjo iweala have to show for all her knowledge in the nigerian context? nothing apart from corruption and hardships. the bible made it clear that light and darkness can never work together as one must give way to the other. that is why u have day and night not day with night. no normal human being can work under a pdp govt - not possible otherwise name one person for me. look at all the noise okonjo iweala and soludo made under obasanjo about their bank reforms which assured us that no more shaking in our banks. how many years ago and how many banks have gone down since then?
look at the lies and deceits of fuel subsidy. we are paying N32 extra yet our lives are the same or even worst. okonjo iweala has bought a house in VGC here in lekki lagos which she could not do all these while she has been working in the world bank.
thank God she did not make it.
is good that the whole world does not trust any nigerian leader ruler. imagine the benin republic president winning ur much publicised president for ecowas position and now ur made in heaven okonjo iweala.
do not be deceived, i used to think good of her until she start to dey wine and dine with these godforsaken pdp criminals.

(1) (2) (Reply)

APC Gives Perfect Reply To Ohaneze Ndigbo’s Ultimatum, Releases Statement / Why Do Ipob Hate To Agitate For A Homogenous Igbo Country? / US Strikes Again. Breaking!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.