Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,716 members, 7,805,948 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:00 AM

2015: I’m Qualified To Run –jonathan - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2015: I’m Qualified To Run –jonathan (11108 Views)

Buhari Not Qualified To Contest- Ozekhome / Is Tinubu's Daugther Qualified To Be The Iyaloja Of Lagos? / Fashola Is Not Qualified To Be A Presidential Candidate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

2015: I’m Qualified To Run –jonathan by Babasessy(m): 9:23am On Apr 16, 2012
2015: I’m qualified to run –Jonathan

* Asks court to dismiss suit seeking to bar him

President Jonathan Goodluck has declared before an Abuja High Court that he is qualified to contest the 2015 presidential election.

He based his qualification on the account that he is currently doing his first term of four years in office as the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

Section 137(1) (b) of the 1999 Constitution disqualifies any person who has been elected into the office of President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria “at any two previous elections”, notwithstanding his meeting every other qualification.

Jonathan, however, declared at the weekend that contrary to the rumour making the rounds, he had not indicated or announced anywhere that he would be contesting for the presidential elections in 2015.

He made the clarifications on his qualification in his reaction to a suit filed by a chieftain of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, before an Abuja High Court seeking its order to stop President Jonathan from contesting presidential election in 2015 on the ground that he is already in his second term in office.

The PDP chieftain, Mr. Cyriacus Njoku, had on March 20, 2012 filed the suit following a declaration by the President in March that he is serving his first term in office.

The applicant, is, however, claiming that President Jonathan is running a second term in office and cannot be a candidate in 2015.

He also said the President could not swear to an oath of office thrice as contained in Section 137(1) (b) of the 1999 Constitution.

Those joined in the matter are the President, the PDP and the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, as the third respondent.

But in a 15-paragraph counter-affidavit deposed to by a counsel, Osahon Okeaya-Inneh in the law firm of President Jonathan’s lawyer, Mr. Ade Okeaya-Inneh and Co., he described the suit as frivolous and vexatious that failed to disclose reasonable cause of action.

The deponent said:. “The first defendant is currently doing his first term of four years in office as the President of Nigeria as provided by the 1999 constitution as amended.

“President Jonathan’s status and position is formidably backed by the 1999 Constitution.

“The constitution of Nigeria only makes provisions for a president to contest for not more than two terms of four years each.

“The constitution recognises the President’s tenure of office to be four years.

“I was informed by Dr. Reuben Abati (an aide of the President) on April 4, 2012 at about 5.30 p.m. in his office and I verily believe that.

“The first defendant has not indicated or announced anywhere whether in words or in writing that he will contest for the presidential election in 2015.

‘The late President Umaru Yar’Adua contested and won the presidential election conducted in 2007 for one term of four years. He was the President from May 29, 2007 until sometime in May 2010 when he passed on. ‘Yar’Adua’s four years was to end in 2011.”

Jonathan also averred that on May 6, 2010, he was sworn in as the President after the death of President Yar’Adua, thereby completing Yar’Adua’s 12 months of the four-year tenure.

He insisted that this was the first time he was coming to power as the President of Nigeria through an election wherein he was voted as the presidential candidate of his party, PDP.

The President told the court that the plaintiff did not attach copies of his recent tax clearance certificate from the Federal Inland Revenue Service, FIRS, and his PDP membership card as proof of who he claimed to be.

Consequently, Jonathan asked the court to discountenance the suit as it was meant to make the court to labour in futility because the suit was purely an academic exercise. The applicant, however, through his counsel, Mr. Osuagwu Ugochukwu, raised two questions for determination by the court.

These are:

*Whether Section 135(2) of the Constitution which specifies a period of four years in office for the President is only available or applicable to a person elected on the basis of an actual election or includes one in which a person assumes the position of President by operation of law as in the case of Dr. Goodluck Jonathan.

*Whether Section 137(1) (b) of the 1999 Constitution which provides that a person shall not be qualified for election to the office of President if he has been elected to such office at any two previous elections applies to the first defendant who first took an oath of office as substantive President on May 6, 2010 and took a second oath of office as President on May 29, last year.

However, the presiding judge, Justice Mudashiru Oniyangi, has fixed April 18 to hear President Jonathan’s application for an extension of time within which his lawyer can file his memorandum of appearance and counter-affidavit in response to the plaintiff’s suit dated March 20.

This is the second time that Njoku will take the President to court.

He had in August 2010 attempted to stop PDP from allowing him to participate in the PDP presidential primaries of January 2011.

Njoku, from Zuba Ward in Gwagwalada Area Council and with PDP registration number 1622735, had urged the court to ask the party to respect its principle on zoning formula in line with Article 7. 2(c) of the party’s constitution.

He said the declaration of Jonathan (third defendant) to contest the presidency on the PDP platform was contrary to Article7.2(c) of the PDP 2009 Constitution (as amended).

But the Chief Judge of the FCT High Court, Justice Lawan Gummi, dismissed the suit.

http://nationalmirroronline.net/news/37197.html
Re: 2015: I’m Qualified To Run –jonathan by Nobody: 9:38am On Apr 16, 2012
sad sad sad

Nigeria is being governed by a bunch of f00ls. He hasn't done shyt for Nigeria since he took over from Yar'Adua yet the f00l is looking for 3rd term.

Below is a review of things that went bad after GEJ took over.
- Boko Haram
- Chaotic economic environment
- devaluation of the naira to abysmal levels
- 5 more banks liquidated
- worst Jamb, Neco and Waec results ever recorded
- worst unemployment figures ever
- corrupt leaders allowed to walk free eg Dimeji Bankole, Erastus Akingbola, Gbenga Daniel, Cecelia Ibru, Ndidi Onyuike,
- excessive government spending on parastatals
- free for all crimes
Etc

This guy is totally useless.

10 Likes

Re: 2015: I’m Qualified To Run –jonathan by circus: 9:56am On Apr 16, 2012
Well its not easy to leave that aso rock,difficult times iz coming fast to Nigeria cos ds GEJ is gonna spend huge some of money to bribe and campaign again just as he did in the last elections.can u c a president that is not facing what on hand presently,looking at 2015 and u wl still c Nigerians saying these people (GEJ and his ministers) have the masses in mind.9ja is on a longthing o
Re: 2015: I’m Qualified To Run –jonathan by egift(m): 10:05am On Apr 16, 2012
This is Nigeria: The man filling the suit may even be working for Jonathan. Maybe on technical jargon, the man can loose the case and Jonathan will go celebrating that the court has cleared him to run in 2015.

6 Likes

Re: 2015: I’m Qualified To Run –jonathan by Afam4eva(m): 10:08am On Apr 16, 2012
It's sickening that our rulers no longer have shame. if they did, shouldn't GEJ be looking for a way to bow out of his disgraceful tenure? SMH.

2 Likes

Re: 2015: I’m Qualified To Run –jonathan by ayusbobs(m): 10:14am On Apr 16, 2012
[quote author=pDude]sad sad sad

Nigeria is being governed by a bunch of f00ls. He hasn't done shyt for Nigeria since he took over from Yar'Adua yet the f00l is looking for 3rd term.

- Boko Haram
- corrupt leaders allowed to walk free eg Dimeji Bankole,
GBAM !!! U ve said it all bro

1 Like

Re: 2015: I’m Qualified To Run –jonathan by Ufeolorun(m): 10:23am On Apr 16, 2012
Haa! this man must not come back o!Olohun jor/dabor. grin
Re: 2015: I’m Qualified To Run –jonathan by Callotti: 2:25pm On Apr 16, 2012
Of course you are over-qualified.
1. You do not have a fake degree.
2. You only travelled abroad for the first time in your life within the last 2 years.
3. You do not have ex-con record like ALL the others.
4. You are a 'classy' polygamist.
5. You have not completed your required 2 terms.

2 Likes

Re: 2015: I’m Qualified To Run –jonathan by MissEZ(f): 3:30pm On Apr 16, 2012
lolol, story don start
Re: 2015: I’m Qualified To Run –jonathan by ak47mann(m): 3:32pm On Apr 16, 2012
GBAM cool
Re: 2015: I’m Qualified To Run –jonathan by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 3:39pm On Apr 16, 2012
I think GEJ is over-qualified unlike the last time
1: GEJ has good leather shoes this time
2: GEJ has Patience Dame covering his back not Turai Yar'Adua barking orders at him from ASO-ROCK Kitchen
3: GEJ has the full backing of MEND
grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: 2015: I’m Qualified To Run –jonathan by Nobody: 3:48pm On Apr 16, 2012
egift: This is Nigeria: The man filling the suit may even be working for Jonathan. Maybe on technical jargon, the man can loose the case and Jonathan will go celebrating that the court has cleared him to run in 2015.
confirm. Its all set up. Normal evil pattern of Nigerian politics.
Re: 2015: I’m Qualified To Run –jonathan by Nobody: 3:52pm On Apr 16, 2012
What's wrong with Nigerian 'politricktians' and their double speak? This guy is shameless!! undecided
Re: 2015: I’m Qualified To Run –jonathan by Tintinix: 3:55pm On Apr 16, 2012
Please people, sheath your swords! Before you begin to bash The President, read the post digest it and then you will get the context of GEJ response on his qualification.
Of course GEJ is qualified to run in 2015, but should he given that he gave his word that he will not ask for re-election?
In my mind i think this court case is very delibrate, either to throw this discussion open, or to deter the presidient from breaking his promise of not seeking re-election , or.. (you fill in the blanks)
However to say that the President is not qualified based on the fact He also said the "President could not swear to an oath of office thrice as contained in Section 137(1) (b) of the 1999 Constitution." is utter rubbish

.. our constitution did not make provison for our president dying in office, or what was all that hulabalu about after the demise of our dear president Yaradua..
So yes the discussion is in the air

1 Like

Re: 2015: I’m Qualified To Run –jonathan by achi4u(m): 3:57pm On Apr 16, 2012
ur on point brother
egift: This is Nigeria: The man filling the suit may even be working for Jonathan. Maybe on technical jargon, the man can loose the case and Jonathan will go celebrating that the court has cleared him to run in 2015.
ur on point brother
Re: 2015: I’m Qualified To Run –jonathan by Muttex(m): 3:57pm On Apr 16, 2012
Both Applicant and defendants in this suit are errants. This is just to deceive you and I. Awon Oloriburuku Olosi.
Re: 2015: I’m Qualified To Run –jonathan by Nobody: 3:59pm On Apr 16, 2012
.....and Nigeria goes down the drain!
Re: 2015: I’m Qualified To Run –jonathan by Mynd44: 4:00pm On Apr 16, 2012
And with this, GEJ declares his intention to run
Re: 2015: I’m Qualified To Run –jonathan by Akiika: 4:00pm On Apr 16, 2012
Now another round of madness has begun. Oh God, pls don't watch this hopeless country like this.
GEJ, even though you can contest constitutionally, but do you really qualify by your record of stewardship?
Re: 2015: I’m Qualified To Run –jonathan by mcfestgee: 4:08pm On Apr 16, 2012
Nairaland is gradually becoming a place where
all the fools are gathered. The statement did not read
he wants to contest but he is qualified to. Is he
qualified or not? Jonathan is the president of the
Federal republic of Nig. if you can't take it,
jump into the lagoon and stay in there until
his second term expires.

1 Like

Re: 2015: I’m Qualified To Run –jonathan by maclatunji: 4:17pm On Apr 16, 2012
mcfestgee: Nairaland is gradually becoming a place where
all the fools are gathered. The statement did not read
he wants to contest but he is qualified to. Is he
qualified or not? Jonathan is the president of the
Federal republic of Nig. if you can't take it,
jump into the lagoon and stay in there until
his second term expires.

We have read your post. Now, run along to the GEJ playground with your other Fresh Air playmates whilst we tell our dear President the kind words he needs to hear from we his loyal citizens.
Re: 2015: I’m Qualified To Run –jonathan by Nobody: 4:18pm On Apr 16, 2012
If GEJ could only focus on now, 2013, 2014, definitely 2015 would take care of itself.
Talk about a classic misplaced priority. Anyways, I would vote him again since there isnt any meaningful competition.
Re: 2015: I’m Qualified To Run –jonathan by teskyg: 4:19pm On Apr 16, 2012
Gej is qualified to contest.Why shouldn't he be qualified to contest?@ Pdude,what has ur papa contributed to this country.Lunatic.
Re: 2015: I’m Qualified To Run –jonathan by lacasa: 4:22pm On Apr 16, 2012
pDude: sad sad sad

- Boko Haram
- corrupt leaders allowed to walk free eg Dimeji Bankole, Erastus Akingbola, Gbenga Daniel, Cecelia Ibru, Ndidi Onyuike,
- excessive government spending on parastatals
- free for all crimes
Etc

This guy is totally useless.

L̳̿☺Ö̤̣̇☺ː̗̀(=)))ː̖́☺Ö̤̣̇☺L̳̿​ Your straight to d point. SloooooooowPoke
Re: 2015: I’m Qualified To Run –jonathan by Wallie(m): 4:25pm On Apr 16, 2012

shocked This means that the SAME issue can no longer be re-litigated in the future if adjudicated on merits!

However, I'm not even sure that the issue can be decided on merits because it is probably premature since GEJ did not indicate that he was running for a second term. Courts do not entertain hypothetical questions, at least in the US.
Re: 2015: I’m Qualified To Run –jonathan by maclatunji: 4:26pm On Apr 16, 2012
Our dearly beloved, under pressure President wants to add another 4 years to his number of years in office. If not for the fact that the lives of millions are on the line, I would have said that we should leave him to continue with his wonderful comic relief role. However, that would mean Boko Haram using our people as target practice for another 4 years. So, you see even when I want to be nice and make GEJ and Dame feel loved, I cannot help but say to them: "If they are fooling you, don't fool yourselves."
Re: 2015: I’m Qualified To Run –jonathan by maclatunji: 4:31pm On Apr 16, 2012
aasog1: If GEJ could only focus on now, 2013, 2014, definitely 2015 would take care of itself.
Talk about a classic misplaced priority. Anyways, I would vote him again since there isnt any meaningful competition.

What a brilliant submission; you will vote for a leader with 'misplaced priorities'. Wow! You deserve an award of excellence for your powers of deduction.
Re: 2015: I’m Qualified To Run –jonathan by BlueMurder(m): 4:33pm On Apr 16, 2012
"I am qualified to run in 2015". Of what use is this statement in early 2012?
Re: 2015: I’m Qualified To Run –jonathan by hercules07: 4:34pm On Apr 16, 2012
One thing Nigerians need to do is to vote out these leaders, until the fear of being voted out is in them, we will not develop in this country.
Re: 2015: I’m Qualified To Run –jonathan by gistme24(m): 4:38pm On Apr 16, 2012
Exactly what came to my mind.
Re: 2015: I’m Qualified To Run –jonathan by dani1luv: 4:46pm On Apr 16, 2012
Mstcheeew!!!!!!!

He should come contest nah!! angry angry angry

Ogun punish am!! grin grin
Re: 2015: I’m Qualified To Run –jonathan by SmartCount(m): 4:47pm On Apr 16, 2012
Guy re u a jazzman? Was just thinking same when reading thru the original post.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Utako Market Bomb Story Is False / A Secret For Igbo On Nairaland - Why I'm Not Happy With My Igbo People Here! / Ministerial Nominees To Be Presented 30 Days From Presidential Inauguration

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.